User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 08-03-2008, 08:20 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,043 Times in 451 Posts
Whacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond repute
Post Worst TV Camera Angles in Sports

http://www.thelotd.com/lance/blog

Worst TV camera angles in sports
(Compiled with the input of TV game crews)
1. Nationals Park behind home plate camera
2. Oklahoma St basketball overhead camera
3. Cameron Indoor Stadium
4. UD Arena (a director's nightmare)
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

CraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not sure why a "director's nightmare", but I've never cared for the angle of the cameras for games at the Arena. I'm guessing that it's due to the Arena's design, the cameras are much higher than at most b-ball games. I feel like the TV games from the Arena give a more bird's eye view than a good fan view. I think most places have cameras that are about the level of Arena concourse or only slightly higher, while the Arena's cameras are on a platform way above the 300's on a platform in the rafters (I'm in section 311, and they are in slightly front and very much above me).

My not liking this angle may just be because I'm used to a certain view/angle for games. In baseball, the centerfield camera used to show the pitch is just to the 3rd base side of the pitcher. I forget which park tried it, but a few years back one of the parks used a centerfield camera that was just to the 1st base side of the pitcher. Though the same angle in terms of how far off center it was, the simple fact it was from the other side of the pitcher made it seem wrong, and it drove me to distraction.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:33 PM

AdamtheFlyer can only hope to improve
The bird's nest is absolutely awful, but unfortunately, it won't change except when CBS takes over the arena for NCAA play. They'd probably have to take 20 or more seats out in oder to clear enough space for a camera spot and the tools that go with it.

It's a director's nightmare because it's so high up and separate from everything else. It's a good hike up there with all the equipment.