User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 07-18-2008, 05:00 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
Interview With Commissioner McGlade

It's a slow day. I found this interesting.

http://collegechalktalk.com/general/...tte-mcglade-2/
Advertisement
Old 07-18-2008, 07:36 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,603 Times in 2,849 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
A Fresh Perspective...

The new A10 commish will take a look at the league with "fresh eyes",....and will see much that is good and some things that can and should be better. The focus will then be on the latter. That is the benefit a new leader from time-to-time.

Dan Curran was in the same position when he took over as UD president;...there was much good but he had no trouble finding things that could be improved. And he went to work doing just that. Look for the new A10 commishioner to operate much the same way.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:45 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I would be curious knowing what her impressions are after visiting the facilities of each school.

The best thing discussed in the article is CBS taking over Can't See TV. This could have a big impact on UD, it's schedule and future national recognition. When you try to schedule home/home with big boys having the chance of a nationally televised game helps a lot. With a little good fortune UD can benefit from this.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:24 PM
General

Thanked 4,338 Times in 2,133 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
I would be curious knowing what her impressions are after visiting the facilities of each school.

The best thing discussed in the article is CBS taking over Can't See TV. This could have a big impact on UD, it's schedule and future national recognition. When you try to schedule home/home with big boys having the chance of a nationally televised game helps a lot. With a little good fortune UD can benefit from this.
Watching Can't See TV during the first 2 rounds of the NCAAs (right after CBS took over) gave me much promise for the upcoming season. They had live action of some full first round games, rotating highlights and cut ins w/ studio analysis from the likes of Greg Anthony (ESPN, former UNLV/knicks gaurd). It was all very well put together, and very much professional.

Now this was for their singular biggest event, and coinicided w/ CBS official take over of the network, so you know they wanted to make a splash, but if they're production is even half as good next season as it was for the tournament, it would be a huge improvement for the A-10 (assuming they still show A-10 games on a somewhat regular basis)
Old 07-19-2008, 01:06 PM
Captain

Fairborn Fan is a splendid one to beholdFairborn Fan is a splendid one to beholdFairborn Fan is a splendid one to beholdFairborn Fan is a splendid one to beholdFairborn Fan is a splendid one to beholdFairborn Fan is a splendid one to beholdFairborn Fan is a splendid one to beholdFairborn Fan is a splendid one to behold
Medford, I think the absolute key to our TV coverage is contained in your assumption. If the CSTV package doesn't contain some kind of numerical guarantee for A10 games to be televised, I will be greatly worried that any A10 game could/would be bumped for any old BCS game that would come along. If that should be the case I would worry that the TV coverage this year wouldn't be any better than what it has been in the first two years of CSTV. I really hope that my concerns are wrong.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:40 PM

Thanked 1,403 Times in 429 Posts
Flyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond repute
What rumors about Saint Louis am I missing?
Old 07-19-2008, 10:49 PM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer Al View Post
What rumors about Saint Louis am I missing?
I believe fat boy Majerus knocked the A-10 when he was first hired and made some noise about getting into the MVC. Then, of course, last year the A-10 was better than the MVC. These things are cyclical.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:21 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,011 Posts
xubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post

cbs didn't take over cstv. cbs has owned it since the very beginning. in fact, cbs are the ones that started cstv in the first place. all they did this past year was change the name of the network to "cbs college sports." everything else is pretty much the same, including their coverage of the ncaa tournament. everything else about it is pretty much the same.

Last edited by xubrew; 07-20-2008 at 02:23 PM..
Old 07-20-2008, 02:59 PM
Colonel

Furio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant future
CSTV started in 2003. CBS bought CSTV Jan2006.
See Link: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...8/ai_n26815261
Old 07-20-2008, 10:36 PM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
cbs didn't take over cstv. cbs has owned it since the very beginning. in fact, cbs are the ones that started cstv in the first place. all they did this past year was change the name of the network to "cbs college sports." everything else is pretty much the same, including their coverage of the ncaa tournament. everything else about it is pretty much the same.
Originally Posted by Furio View Post
CSTV started in 2003. CBS bought CSTV Jan2006.
See Link: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...8/ai_n26815261
Come on, don't tell us brew is wrong about something!
Old 07-20-2008, 11:01 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
There is a big difference between buying someting or owning it versus putting it directly under your direction and with your name labled all over it. By CBS taking full control they are uping the performace that they inted to deliver. This is a good thing for the A-10 and UD.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:17 AM
Major General

xubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
Come on, don't tell us brew is wrong about something!
sometimes i think the best thing that ever happens in your life is when my aren't entirely correct. in this case, no one's facts were entirely correct, but i guess everyone else's misinformation fails to excite you the way mine does.

cbs bought the network in 2005, not 2006. since i've only had access to it since 2005 and since it was fairly new at the time, i figured cbs had owned it all along. i guess not. nevertheless, cbs has owned it and operated it since before the atlantic ten signed the tv deal with them. i agree that changing the name of the network to cbs college sports is a good move and that it should help when it comes to more providers picking it up, but their programming is pretty much the same. their coverage of the ncaa tournament has been pretty much the same. they're rerunning all the ncaa tournament games this summer in their entirety, as they have every year since 2006. the only thing that's really changed as far as we're concerned is the name.

http://www.cstv.com/genrel/110305aac.html

i didn't realize this either, but evidently cbs has bought the MTN network. having learned that i didn't know that either, longtimefan is probably so happy that he's crapping confetti.

directv will be adding it to their sports tier...finally. that makes me happy. it also has my mind spinning with possibilities....like for instance, an atlantic ten/mountain west challenge. i wouldn't mind seeing it set up similiar to the bracket buster where it's later in the season and you don't know your opponent until a couple of weeks prior. that would assure for better match-ups. i'd like to play a lot of teams in that conference, such as new mexico, byu, utah and san diego state. air force has put together some pretty good teams as well. if there is one way to try and get more games on tv, it's to schedule them against teams/leagues with tv contracts, which the atlantic ten and mwc both now have with the ever emerging "cbs family of networks." hey, if espn can have a family of networks, then why not cbs??

http://www.themtn.tv/mtn/index.php?o...183&Itemid=183
Old 07-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Colonel

Furio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant future
[quote=xubrew;66049]sometimes i think the best thing that ever happens in your life is when my aren't entirely correct. in this case, no one's facts were entirely correct, but i guess everyone else's misinformation fails to excite you the way mine does.

cbs bought the network in 2005, not 2006. since i've only had access to it since 2005 and since it was fairly new at the time, i figured cbs had owned it all along. i guess not. nevertheless, cbs has owned it and operated it since before the atlantic ten signed the tv deal with them. i agree that changing the name of the network to cbs college sports is a good move and that it should help when it comes to more providers picking it up, but their programming is pretty much the same. their coverage of the ncaa tournament has been pretty much the same. they're rerunning all the ncaa tournament games this summer in their entirety, as they have every year since 2006. the only thing that's really changed as far as we're concerned is the name.

http://www.cstv.com/genrel/110305aac.html

XUbrew you should read your own link:"the transaction is likely to close in January 2006"
Announced Nov 05 Completed Jan06
Old 07-21-2008, 11:21 AM
Major General

wow, wrong a third time. it was announced in 2005, but the package wasn't delivered until 2006. i must be misremembering. in 2005 i was able to subscribe to directv again, and cstv was on the air. i could have sworn that that football season they reran whatever game cbs had shown on saturday the following day, and that on the cstv premium site that there were cbs logos...or at least evidence of a cbs affiliation. they definitely closed it by 2006, though, because i still have a dvd i made of cstv's replay of george mason's upset of uconn. not to mention, the article indicates it was finalized in january of '06.

nevertheless, the important point as far as the atlantic ten is concerned is that cbs did own and operate it when the conference made the agreement with cstv. i'm excited that cbs is growing their network now that they've acquired the MTN.

the television deal is complicated. many atlantic ten fans were/are angry because not as many games are as on as there used to be. the thing is that before when the atlantic ten had it's own network, they were paying for all of the production costs, and then just basically giving them away to networks and providers for free. it was nice that we got the games on, but not so nice because the league was losing money. it got to a point to where it was cstv or nothing. cstv offered to pay all of the production costs, which is no small thing, but unlike before they weren't just going to give the games away for free. i don't know what they're asking for, but whatever it is must be higher than some of the networks want to pay for the broadcast rights because there aren't as many games on now.

after last season, though, i'm hoping this changes. it's not just getting one or two games on cstv (now, cbs college sports), but it's getting all the games produced and aired on networks that gives the league the same (and hopefully more) exposure that it got when we were producing the games independently and giving them away for free. this tv deal isn't all that bad, especially considering that at the time it was this or nothing. cbs college sports sounds better than cstv, anyhow.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:13 PM
General of the Air Force

Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
My personal opinion and hope is that if CBS put there personal name on the product I would expect them to be ready to really improve the product. Otherwise why change the name. CSTV was okay for CSTV but would not be acceptable under a CBS Sports name and logo. Could be wrong but I would really be dissappointed they didn't have plans to upgrade the streaming and coverage.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:41 PM
Brigadier General

The Chef will become famous soon enoughThe Chef will become famous soon enough
I'm not sure that putting a new label on something automatically means an improved product, or even that the owner has a desire to improve the product. In many cases, new labels (also called repackaging in some circles) tend to be marketing ploys intended to make people think that the product is somehow improved when it actually hasn't changed at all. That tends to work best when the item being labeled is thought of as undervalued or underappreciated.

The proof will be in the pudding here. CBS has become serious about it's bottom line when it comes to this College Sports network. That part is abundantly clear. CBS wants their stations on the regular digital cable lineup, and the name change has been made to help in that endeavor more than anything else. However, the real question for us is whether they have become serious about giving the A-10 more airtime in syndication, not on their main national network, because as long as cable networks continue to put the national network on their special digital sports tier, it won't amount ot a hill of beans. More amiable syndication terms has the potential to hurt the bottom line, not help it.

Last edited by The Chef; 07-21-2008 at 01:47 PM..
Old 07-22-2008, 01:30 PM
General of the Air Force

CBS has already made some big changes. Download the new Adobe Media player and you can watch ALL CBS programming, news, sports, games, daytime and the streaming is great. ABE, NBC and FOX have not yet joined the Adobe Media programming. BTW other programs are available. What does it all mean, maybe not much, or maybe a lot but one thing is for sure the streaming is noticeably better.

Which begs to ask, will they then do the college games on Adobe Media as well? Of course cable, directTV or disih would be better, but what I like about both CSTV and Adobe Media is the ability to go back and watch shows or games missed.