Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 09:06 AM
Major

flybye is infamous around these parts
NOT in yet because of Perfomance!!! SIMPLE

The Jesuits dont hate us...its not an old boy network. ITS ABOUT UD and its lack of PERFORMANCE. I took three guys who had not been to the Arena to the NCAA yesterday and here it is in a nutshell...Wow the Arena is great!!! and then I showed them OUR banners tuked up behind the wall in the 300 section. which by the way are all NIT banners and they asked...do you have any NCAA banners. Look we waited on BG too long and then he screwed us and left nothing. There is no defending him...he is simply a mid level coach. The more you all accept any excuse besides Performance your missing the boat. The message board and our passion... the arena and our fans are great...our program is not. Just a Ho Hum mid level program that finds a way to underachieve every year and lets it administration and coach fill the papers with excuse after excuse. Too Young..cupboard bare..tough conference. The Aten is 6 and 0 what a conference...stop we lost to RI and GW.. Very simple..Kissel, Wabler and BG under performed at a crititcal time and it cost us at least a year in the New Conference. Performance has BIG EARS...just ask BUTLER.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to flybye For This Totally Excellent Post:
LI Flyer (03-23-2013), Marysville Flyer (03-23-2013), ruechalgrin (03-23-2013)
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2013, 09:37 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,914 Times in 6,996 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
did I miss any?

IF we would just PRAY more our LUCK would change and NEXT SEASON will, we HOPE, be better.

Yes, we're that close!!!
Old 03-23-2013, 09:53 AM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
The NCAA banners are on the other side of the arena. I assume you told your buddies that.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:11 AM
Major

I did..

Lol....I did tell them about the NCAA banners..we just couldn't see them!!!!!! Lol...I also told them we have one NCAA win in 25 years...I told them as a huge supporter of the Program how dissapointing that is. I told them versus schools like ours X...Gonzaga....Butler... that we were underachievers. After seeing our first class facility they agreed.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:11 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,041 Times in 2,687 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Flybye, I agree with a lot of your post, but I must beg to differ on 1 of your points. The Jesuits are without a doubt an "old boy network". Just see the comment from Marquette President, Rev. Scott Pilarz, in the analysis on how Creighton got in: "I would always stick up for Creighton — it's another Jesuit school."

Now, my daughter went to a Jesuit university, and the religious there have always been cordial, so it's certainly not like they "hate us". But if it came down to a Jesuit institution and a non-Jesuit institution for the last slot in an expanded NBE, and there were no other factors at play, I'd lay my money on the "powers that be" giving the Jesuit school the invite.

The rest of what you said is pretty much correct. If it had been UD making it to 4 of the last 7 NCAA tourneys, or UD making it to 2 or 3 Sweet Sixteens, then the NBE would have been nuts to leave UD out of the picture. As it is, 1 NCAA appearance in 9 years just doesn't cut it for an applicant. And SLU, a "Jesuit school" with 2 NCAAs in 2 years but none for 10 years before that, is in the same boat as UD.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Donniex3Era (03-24-2013), UACFlyer (03-23-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 10:12 AM
Captain

Rick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud of
I realize there are a wide range of opinions on this issue, which have polarized the fan base and pit Flyer brother vs. Flyer brother. But I -- a wise man and a great compromiser -- suggest that we can all unite and agree upon one simple issue:

There's no reason to start a new thread to repeat a notion that's already been stated a hundred times over, in a half-dozen pre-existing threads on the subject.

Let the healing begin....
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Rick Scaia For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (03-23-2013), MikeF (03-23-2013), Tony T 71 (03-23-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 10:13 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,041 Times in 2,687 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flybye View Post
...I told them versus schools like ours X...Gonzaga....Butler... that we were underachievers. After seeing our first class facility they agreed.
FWIW, I agree too.
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Tony T 71 (03-23-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 11:26 AM

Thanked 4,603 Times in 2,849 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Definitely,...

Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
Flybye, I agree with a lot of your post, but I must beg to differ on 1 of your points. The Jesuits are without a doubt an "old boy network". Just see the comment from Marquette President, Rev. Scott Pilarz, in the analysis on how Creighton got in: "I would always stick up for Creighton — it's another Jesuit school."

Now, my daughter went to a Jesuit university, and the religious there have always been cordial, so it's certainly not like they "hate us". But if it came down to a Jesuit institution and a non-Jesuit institution for the last slot in an expanded NBE, and there were no other factors at play, I'd lay my money on the "powers that be" giving the Jesuit school the invite.

The rest of what you said is pretty much correct. If it had been UD making it to 4 of the last 7 NCAA tourneys, or UD making it to 2 or 3 Sweet Sixteens, then the NBE would have been nuts to leave UD out of the picture. As it is, 1 NCAA appearance in 9 years just doesn't cut it for an applicant. And SLU, a "Jesuit school" with 2 NCAAs in 2 years but none for 10 years before that, is in the same boat as UD.
One of my sons went to a Jesuit university. In a large public area of the student center there is a large wall, 20 ft ceiling, etc. On that wall are the pennants of all (22?) Jesuit colleges and universities in the U.S. They are a tight-knit club.
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
T-Bone 84 (03-23-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 11:34 AM
Major

Butler not Jesuit

Butler is not a Jesuit School..They simply Performed. I agree we need to move forward but we need to Win and get into the NCAA next year and make some noise on a consistent basis. Keep in mind FGC University now has as many wins as we have in the NCAA the last 25 years...They have been Division 1 for 4 years and have beat GT and Miami... We have to get better players and play a style that attracks better players. Lets next year win the Conference.That would be a good start. Any body think we cant???
Old 03-23-2013, 11:35 AM
Captain

Larymike is a name known to allLarymike is a name known to allLarymike is a name known to allLarymike is a name known to allLarymike is a name known to allLarymike is a name known to all
This is on the money! Lack of PERFORMANCE! This is what has kept UD on the sidelines of the NBE expansion. When NBE expansion happens, however, I expect UD to make the cut. This will primarily be due to game time atmosphere, not game time performance.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:46 AM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Yes and No.

If Dayton had Butler's track record over the past 10 years they would be in. If the had Xavier's they would be in. So yes.

But if they exactly matched Creighton? Or in two years if it's Richmond and SLU. Then it's less about performance being the deciding factor. Performance just could have been the factor to overcome what drove the decision.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by UDDoug; 03-25-2013 at 11:59 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDDoug For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-23-2013), longtimefan (03-23-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,752 Times in 794 Posts
Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDDoug View Post
Yes and No.

If Dayton had Butler's track record over the past 10 years they would be in. If the jad Xavier's they would be in. So yes.

But if they exactly matched Creighton? Or in two years if it's Richmond and SLU. Then it's less about performance being the deciding factor. Performance just could have been the factor to overcome what drove the decision.
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't think many if any are saying that performance is the only criteria - BB performance is just the main criteria. At best the Jesuit affiliation is probably the tie-breaker between schools of like qualifications. If this wasn't true, there would be no way to explain Butler.

What I am not willing to do is demonize the existing schools for accepting who they want for the reasons they want. It is their club and they extend the invites. The old boy network is involved, so what and who cares. That is how things at this level and magnitud often are decided.

The way some of you talk about them, I'm surprised you'd want UD in the club of such an evil group. In actuality, it is no more than sour grapes and quite sophmoric at that.

Last edited by Marysville Flyer; 03-23-2013 at 01:42 PM..
Old 03-23-2013, 01:31 PM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Performance was what they looked at second. First was fit. No FBS or scholarship football. Smallish private school. Good academics. Basketball main sport. If performance was first it would be VCU, and they were close but got cut on fit.

That put X and BU in.

Creighton has a performance edge. But to many geography and TV almost offset.

I agree it is important, but not the only reason. And the members can make the decision however they want. Have heard from some that 11 and 12 could surprise the media.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by UDDoug; 03-25-2013 at 12:00 PM..
Mad Props to UDDoug For This Totally Excellent Post:
Marysville Flyer (03-23-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 05:37 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
So the media perception of SLU and UD is wrong. Wouldn't surprise me.

How about St. Joe's and Richmond? Villanova could be out voted once Creighton and X are voting members.