Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Poll Results: Who do you blame?
JOB: 4 wins doomed us to irrelevance for decades 11 26.83%
OP: move on already, I fixed that. Just couldn't finish the job and left the cupboard bare 2 4.88%
BG: rebuilt with great athletes, repositioned us to relevance, but blew chunks in the A10 20 48.78%
AM: didn't deliver in crunch time when the W's really matter to perception 8 19.51%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2013, 09:19 AM
General

Thanked 5,460 Times in 2,387 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
So who do you blame?

OK clearly the administration but which coach screwed us the most?
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2013, 09:30 AM
Major

TheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to behold
El niņo
Old 03-23-2013, 09:43 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,043 Times in 2,687 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Most will agree that this is an institutional issue, so it's not really fair to make 1 coach a scapegoat. But if you have to choose from among the 4, OP had us in the NCAA in 2 of his last 4 years (which is, roughly, the goal at UD), and AM has only had 2 years (which IMHO is an "Incomplete"). That left either JOB or BG for me. I chose BG, only because he brought the sizzle but not the steak. All the talk about elevating the program, and all we did was go sideways or slightly down. When he'd say "We have to keep getting better...", I'd ask my friends, "Don't you have to BE getting better in order to KEEP getting better?" Great expectations, but, except for 2008-09, mostly mild (2007-08) to bitter (2009-11) disappointments.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:54 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,915 Times in 6,996 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
I gave Miller a pass for last season but he's 100% to blame for this season...with two 5th year seniors...a 4th year BCS transfer (Vee)...3rd year BCS transfer (Matt D) and some youth with size and speed along with Oliver, he had a perfect mix of everything necesary to win. The only aspect missing from this season was clutch coaching. And you can't blame Dillard or Benson for that.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:22 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

LI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant future
To place blame on one particular party or individual is pure folly. The present state of the program is a result of a number of decisions and events that have occurred over the past 30 to 40 years. I think one might start with the loss of Don Donoher and then proceed from that vantage point. If one had told me some 30 years ago that Stony Brook University on LI would get in the NCAA tournament and we wouldn't get an invite to even the NIT I would take that bet at a 100 to 1 odds. Unfortunately I would lose. How embarrassing?
Old 03-23-2013, 10:25 AM
Academy Doolie

UDMARK will become famous soon enoughUDMARK will become famous soon enough
I think you need to add the UD administration to the poll.
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDMARK For This Totally Excellent Post:
Beatty Town Coach (03-25-2013), IndianaFlyer (03-23-2013), Larymike (03-23-2013), Marysville Flyer (03-23-2013), ruechalgrin (03-23-2013), SeasonTicketFan (03-23-2013), T-Bone 84 (03-23-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 10:39 AM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
I'll blame Wabler for the hire but not for the losses

The Administration bumbled, fumbled and stumbled at certain points in the past 30 years but had nothing to do with the product we saw on the floor this season that lost to Weber St, GW, RI etc...

Upon being hired, Miller decided immediately not to pursue Gibson or Henton aggressively, if at all. Unless Wabler told him to not take their calls, I place that decision on Miller. Would they have come here had he showed up on their doorstep? Nobody knows but we do know he made little to no effort.

Our lack of defense over 2 seasons has nothing to do with the Administration. It's 100% on Miller and his assistants. Wabler can't be blamed for Price's inability to box out on a free throw...or Benson's 18' jumpers. That's a function of defining roles...which is 100% coaching.

Any coach worth keeping will accept 100% of the blame for a loss. They also will give 100% credit for a win to his players. And we need to be the same way.

By all accounts Miller has the tools and resources to win in the A10 and in many cases has 1.5-3X the resources of his opponent. Yet we still can't finish in the top 4 of the A10.

But ultimately we lose on the court, not on College Park Ave. It's all about Archie's decisions. And he needs to acknowledge and learn from it.

100%.

Last edited by rollo; 03-23-2013 at 10:42 AM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
UACFlyer (03-23-2013), UD Dave (03-25-2013), Viperstick (03-23-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 10:46 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
Ted Kissel told us 10-15 years ago we had to upgrade our non-revenue facilities and improve our Olympic sports teams. We did the facilities. We did the Olym teams (VB, WBB, Soccer), even baseball improved. If we did these things "we'll be ready when new league calls". Well, we did them when in reality all that truly matters is WINNING in the men's basketball program - we did not do enough of that.....so we get passed over by XU, BU and Creighton whom I assume do not have the non-rev facilities or Olym winning succes we had in the pst 10 years. The NBE does not give a rats a** as to how well we have done outside of men's hoops.

So, a lot of blame to Ted K.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:20 AM

Thanked 4,603 Times in 2,849 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Not quite right....

Originally Posted by Piqua Flyer '66 View Post
Ted Kissel told us 10-15 years ago we had to upgrade our non-revenue facilities and improve our Olympic sports teams. We did the facilities. We did the Olym teams (VB, WBB, Soccer), even baseball improved. If we did these things "we'll be ready when new league calls". Well, we did them when in reality all that truly matters is WINNING in the men's basketball program - we did not do enough of that.....so we get passed over by XU, BU and Creighton whom I assume do not have the non-rev facilities or Olym winning succes we had in the pst 10 years. The NBE does not give a rats a** as to how well we have done outside of men's hoops.

Good facilities and olymoic sports will not get a school into a conference. But, bad facilities and teams can keep it out. It's in that context that Kissell's remarks should be interpreted.

When TK came to UD we did not have a Div I sports program....wasn't even a good Div III program. Someone pointed out that while in the Great Midwest UD did not win a single game in any sport except BB.

I don't know if that's true or not. But, the miserable state of UD athletics when TK came on board was 100% the responsibility of the UD administration at the time.

TK knew he had to fix that...and he did.

He also "fixed" men's BB with the OP hire. OP did his job and left, not unexpectedly. TK's process for hiring a replacement appears to have been thorough and professional. BG was a coveted, top-tier assistant. Unfortunately, the BG hire did not work out...showing how dicey and unpredictable this business is. He left a program in a pretty steep decline.

So, here we are again....no choice but to give our new coach some time.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:29 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,248 Times in 1,129 Posts
Bat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond repute
Oh Boy...how pathetic is this Thread! Ooooooh, who do we blame, which s.o.b. caused us all this hardship and pain? OH THE HUMANITY!!!!! Break out the sack cloth and ashes, let's get the tar and feathers...quick fire up the stake! ARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHH! Give me a freakin' break. This is about as juvenile as it gets (I hope.)
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Bat'71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (03-23-2013), wes (03-23-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 11:30 AM
General

Thanked 4,904 Times in 2,262 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Piqua Flyer '66 View Post

I would say that if Ted's thesis was correct, we were ready for when the new league calls. The problem was that Ted misjudged what would cause the league to call.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:55 AM

I met with Ted way back in '97 and had a great 45 minute 1-on-1 with him in his office. 'Blunt' is the best word to describe his management style.

At the time he understood that the Big East would implode and was investing all over the Athletics Dept in an attempt to prepare UD for the Big East split that he estimated would be in 5 years.

So here we are in 2013 and not only has the Big East split, but other BCS conferences have added members as well as the A10....all things that Ted didn't factor into his 'Model'.

So he retires and Wabler picks up the program and from all outside appearances, hasn't changed Ted's approach or tweeked his Model. And when Modeling anything, as the Constraints change, so does the Solution.

I'm not sure Ted misjudged it...I think the equations changed under Wabler and he didn't adjust. Had this split occurred in 2003 instead of today, I think we're in the Big East with no hesitation on their part. But things changed....and we didn't.

And it might work out in our favor.
UACFlyer (03-23-2013), Viperstick (03-23-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Colonel

The Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant future
One thing I have thought about often during all this is should Wabler still have a job? The athletic department has been preparing for this since the late 1990's and failed. So that's a good 15 years of work for nothing. Maybe it's time to hand Wabler his walking papers and move in a different direction with the athletic department.
Mad Props to The Gem For This Totally Excellent Post:
Marysville Flyer (03-23-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 12:24 PM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think there is anything in Ted's thesis that says men's basketball does not matter, all you need is good facilities and Olympic sports. To interpret that way, IMHO is dead wrong. The comments he often gave were in the context of why do you want money for Olympic sports and facilities. Just restore mens hoops. It was explaining that, not setting the priorities. Every discussion I ever had with him (which was less than a handful) always stressed that number one was mens hoops. But everything else was imoprtant or when the shakeup occurred if we were still D3 in everything else we would be outside looking in even with mens hoops performing.

Do you really think they would have hired OP, or built the Donoher Center, provided money and funding to expand recruiting, fly charter and on and on if improving mens hoops wasn't a part of the equation?

The fact they didn't succeed to the extent required, didn't make decisions that maybe needed to be made, were perhaps too comfortable that things were close, doesn't mean it wasn't part of the solution.

There are things that need to change. But the biggest issue is execution - from athletics administration to coaching. Not importance.

And I include looking inward and outward to see what is not being done and what is holding back winning as execution.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2013, 12:28 PM

UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Gem View Post
One thing I have thought about often during all this is should Wabler still have a job? The athletic department has been preparing for this since the late 1990's and failed. So that's a good 15 years of work for nothing. Maybe it's time to hand Wabler his walking papers and move in a different direction with the athletic department.
That depends on the why. Of the sole answer is because Gregory did not win enough games, I don't fire him. If it is because other factors out of UDs control made the decision I don't. If it is the strategy to get an invite, how UD handled it I probably do.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2013, 12:58 PM

Thanked 4,302 Times in 1,764 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
I listened to Ted's view of men's basketball as well. He is a smart man and had a good view of the changing basketball landscape. I think he was committed to improving the men’s basketball program. Where I disagreed with Ted was the plan. Ted felt hiring the right coach was the most important aspect to raising the program. I think mid tier programs have to have MORE than the coach. Ted came from Arizona and I do believe big sports programs think differently than small programs. Ohio State had no problem paying X a million dollars to release Matta from his contract. Big program just hire a top coach and talent flocks to them. Mid tier programs have to be very creative. Creative and men’s UD basketball are on opposite ends of the earth.

Purnell was Ted's fourth choice. That told you how low the program was. Ironically the candidates ahead of Purnell failed miserably at their schools and lasted less than Oliver!

Gregory was the first choice. Ted believed BG was the right choice at the time, but played cards close to his vest. I understand that BG's contract later on became more incentive based and may have contributed to his decision to leave. Those incentives do mean: Perform or find another job. I think the administration was putting heat on BG and they knew the problems with performance.

I also see lots of talk on this board about hiring a big name experienced coach. No big name coach would come to Dayton. There was not enough money. There were has been and retreads who applied for the job. Top coaches go where they think they can win. If a coach thinks they can't win big at Dayton, what does that tell about the culture of the program. It is an NIT culture, not an NCAA culture in the athletic offices. BTW. BG and AM both have an NCAA attitude though. They are both much more ambitious than the rest of the university.

Ted talked constantly about the break up of the Big East. He has only been gone for two years, so the planning to get in had to still be under his watch.

Tim Wabler is a super nice guy. He represents the university well. But Tim is super risk averse. I am not sure that was the right approach for a program that was constantly missing targets and performing just below expectations. That method assures continuity of the same results.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:09 PM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
I think hiring the right coach is the most important factor, unless you want to change the culture of the program by taking more chances on recruits with academic and/or character issues.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:16 PM

wes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to beholdwes is a splendid one to behold
Get some perspective. Out of over 300 Div. I teams Dayton Flyers are in the top 30%
Old 03-23-2013, 01:27 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
The Administration bumbled, fumbled and stumbled at certain points in the past 30 years but had nothing to do with the product we saw on the floor this season that lost to Weber St, GW, RI etc...

Upon being hired, Miller decided immediately not to pursue Gibson or Henton aggressively, if at all. Unless Wabler told him to not take their calls, I place that decision on Miller. Would they have come here had he showed up on their doorstep? Nobody knows but we do know he made little to no effort.

Our lack of defense over 2 seasons has nothing to do with the Administration. It's 100% on Miller and his assistants. Wabler can't be blamed for Price's inability to box out on a free throw...or Benson's 18' jumpers. That's a function of defining roles...which is 100% coaching.

Any coach worth keeping will accept 100% of the blame for a loss. They also will give 100% credit for a win to his players. And we need to be the same way.

By all accounts Miller has the tools and resources to win in the A10 and in many cases has 1.5-3X the resources of his opponent. Yet we still can't finish in the top 4 of the A10.

But ultimately we lose on the court, not on College Park Ave. It's all about Archie's decisions. And he needs to acknowledge and learn from it.

100%.
So do you blame Archie or the guy that hired him? I don't disagree that a few better coaching decisions may have won us a few more games. Benson was playing the 5 too long. A couple of timely timeouts may have saved us. Did you watch Buzz Williams against Davidson? A timeout at the right time may have won that game or them.

I am concerned that Archie will be a Bill Belichik. Fail at first job then become a star at the next job.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by wes View Post
Get some perspective. Out of over 300 Div. I teams Dayton Flyers are in the top 30%
More perspective:

Top 10% = NCAA autos and at-larges
Top 20% = At-large bids or NIT
Top 30% = us
CE80 (03-23-2013), Gazoo (03-23-2013), shocka43 (03-25-2013), UD Dave (03-25-2013), Zeke (03-30-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 01:41 PM

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wes View Post
Top 30% of college basketball teams when we are in the 10% in attendance and revenue = bad results.
Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
UD Dave (03-25-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 02:02 PM

Thanked 4,302 Times in 1,764 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
I think hiring the right coach is the most important factor, unless you want to change the culture of the program by taking more chances on recruits with academic and/or character issues.
Gregory took a lot more chances with academic and character issues. I think UD hides behind those excuses.

UD instituted a program to help these athletes with academic challenges. Chris Johnson barely made it into the university. Once he arrived, he blossomed as a student and athlete. Nothing wrong with that model. So, should UD skipped on CJ?

We act like like athletes can't become good students and can't mature their character. NONSENSE!!
Old 03-23-2013, 02:02 PM

Whether or not UD is in top 10% in revenue depends on where schools put TV rights fees. More than 20% of d1 are in bcs conferences. They all have more revenue. Just may not report it as basketball.

Attendance really is irrelevant.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to UDDoug For This Totally Excellent Post:
wes (03-23-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 02:07 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,043 Times in 2,687 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
IMHO
Right coach = most important factor
Recruits with academic issues = chances worth taking
Recruits with minor character issues = chances worth taking
Recruits with major character issues = probably more trouble than they're worth
Recruits with academic & character issues = probably more trouble than they're worth
Old 03-23-2013, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
Gregory took a lot more chances with academic and character issues. I think UD hides behind those excuses.

UD instituted a program to help these athletes with academic challenges. Chris Johnson barely made it into the university. Once he arrived, he blossomed as a student and athlete. Nothing wrong with that model. So, should UD skipped on CJ?

We act like like athletes can't become good students and can't mature their character. NONSENSE!!
Absolutely not.

I think the questions come more from fans because while CJ got in they wonder what would have happened if he didn't qualify. There have been too many stories of guys that couldn't qualify and went elsewhere. XU had as many nonqualifiers this year as UD has in it's history. Coincedence, maybe. Or factor.

They may have taken more risk, but maybe still too risk averse.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2013, 02:28 PM

Thanked 6,178 Times in 4,206 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Another way to look at the JOB/GMC experience was that you were maybe asking MCC/Horizon League-level players to compete with c7/BE-level players.

Maybe that wasn't really fair to ask JOB to pull that off.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:43 PM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post

I don't know if you are referring to me, but I certainly don't think we should have passed on CJ. And we shouldn't have passed on Ron Harper. I think we should take more chances than we do. That's my point. I'm saying that is one reason we are where we are, because as Doug just said, we don't take nearly as many chances as some of our peers. I think (and have heard) that when Tony Stanley failed to graduate, the administration kind of freaked out. That may be why they haven't taken as many chances on recruits with academic issues as they might. I think that is a major reason for our predicament, and that may be starting to change. I've thrown that out there as a reason for our performance problems several times, and haven't gotten much of a response. Many people would rather just ***** and moan without offering any real solutions. But, I don't think one can criticize the administration for wanting to keep academic standards high. It's kind of a no win situation.

Last edited by longtimefan; 03-23-2013 at 03:15 PM..
Old 03-23-2013, 02:49 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,288 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
It's Bush's fault
Old 03-23-2013, 03:13 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
1st. Christopher Columbus, if he hadn't gotten lost then we'd not even be having this conversation.

2nd. James Naismith if he hadn't had so much free time on his hands then we wouldn't be in this position.
Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (03-23-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 03:44 PM
General

Thanked 4,539 Times in 2,056 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
This poll is pathetic

The need to place blame is infantile - but if I must I will go with:

5) Toxic fans and their unrealistic sense of entitlement.

There. I said it - try blaming yourselves.

Mad Props to Glen Clark For This Totally Excellent Post:
TA111 (03-23-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 04:20 PM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Glen Clark View Post
The need to place blame is infantile - but if I must I will go with:

5) Toxic fans and their unrealistic sense of entitlement.

There. I said it - try blaming yourselves.

Glen good show as you are dead on!!!!! As I said before WE/US/YOU and I are a large part of the problem. We accept this year in and year out and let the U do what they like, but we keep showing up game after game $$$$$. At this point there is not a reason for the U to change a darn thing as they have settled into their place, but continue to dangle a carrot out there for the likes of you and I to continue to contribute $$$$$. Stop the blaming and figure out a way YOU can contribute more to the U. See you at the arena, enjoy.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Ready Action For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-23-2013), UD Dave (03-25-2013)