Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 02:19 PM
Just off the Jet

Bob W has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Cool Wabler at Wrong Game?

So, I'm watching the OSU-ISU game waiting for the UD women game to come on TV and who do I see in the front row? Tim Wabler. Shouldn't our athletic director be more interested in watching our highly ranked women's basketball team than OSU? Why wouldn't he be at the ladies' game?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Bob W For This Totally Excellent Post:
Angry John (03-26-2013), BRob2Perryman3 (03-26-2013)
Advertisement
Old 03-25-2013, 02:25 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
No - Mike Kelly had it covered. TW was where he needed to be.

How many women's games did you attend this year?

Last edited by ud69; 03-25-2013 at 02:28 PM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (03-25-2013), SLUFLYER (03-25-2013), Tony T 71 (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 02:25 PM

Thanked 9,816 Times in 4,076 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bob W View Post
So, I'm watching the OSU-ISU game waiting for the UD women game to come on TV and who do I see in the front row? Tim Wabler. Shouldn't our athletic director be more interested in watching our highly ranked women's basketball team than OSU? Why wouldn't he be at the ladies' game?
Because Mike Kelly most likely was.

Has nothing to do with OSU and everything to do with being a model facility for the NCAA and keeping that relationship.

Don't have to agree with it, but that's the way it is.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
College B-Ball Fan (03-25-2013), Justin (03-26-2013), Sid Louick (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 02:30 PM

Thanked 4,603 Times in 2,849 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Why?

Originally Posted by ud69 View Post
No - Mike Kelly had it covered. TW was where he needed to be.

How many women's games did you attend this year?
Why did TW need to be there?
Old 03-25-2013, 02:39 PM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
This is good. We're tired of bashing Archie, so let's have a thread bashing TW for being a gracious host to the NCAA.
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Field of 64 (03-25-2013), FlyerinChicago (03-25-2013), NorthwestFlyer (03-25-2013), San Diego Flyer (03-25-2013), Sid Louick (03-25-2013), Tony T 71 (03-25-2013), UD62 (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 02:49 PM

shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
Why did TW need to be there?
Because when you are hosting the NCAA's and have the president of the NCAA floating around early in the week, along with other numerous big wigs from the NCAA, the selection committee, Turner/CBS, etc...you don't leave the event to your assistants.

When the NCAA congratulates UD and their staff for the way they run a site, they are obviously doing something right. I would stick with the way they operate.
10 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bob G (03-26-2013), Buster Goode (03-25-2013), Field of 64 (03-25-2013), Flyer Al (03-25-2013), NorthwestFlyer (03-25-2013), oldfan (03-25-2013), Sid Louick (03-25-2013), Tony T 71 (03-25-2013), UACFlyer (03-25-2013), UDDoug (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 03:07 PM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
I read it to mean why did TW need to be at the women's game. Personally, I think he was at the right place. That's why they hire associate ADs with responsibilities for specific sport(s).

In addition to the NCAA guys, you also have some execs at CBS. If you want some face time to showcase the facility and put the bug in there ear about some national TV games - if you aren't there you just blew the opportunity.

Last edited by UDDoug; 03-25-2013 at 03:09 PM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDDoug For This Totally Excellent Post:
Field of 64 (03-25-2013), UACFlyer (03-25-2013), westchesterflyer (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 03:55 PM
Colonel

NorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Hey - and Kudos to the Lady Flyers for pulling off a big win on what was a true road game. They got burned the game before in the same situation and they came back and didn't let it happen a second time. Amazing resolve! They got screwed on the venue and the seed, so hopefully they keep that chip on their shoulder Tuesday.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:55 PM
Captain

Angry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud of
It just boggles my mind on how some people view this administration of ever doing no wrong.

I can see Dr. Dan being here representing the University, but Tim Wabler should have been with the women's basketball team.

It just shows where the Administration's priorities are in what they view as being most important. The bottom line is that the Administration views holding the NCAA Tournament as being more important than their men and women's basketball teams.

Defies all logic of sports common sense. I will be all over the Administration and the people who drink their kool aid like a "cheap suit" until they start changing their bass ackwards approach.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:00 PM
Captain

Angry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud of
To answer UD Doug. Yes, the President should be here, but I bet Jim Nantz and Clark Kellogg would enjoy having a legendary coach like Mike Kelly take them around the place than your typical sports bureaucrat like Tim Wabler.

Just absolute no outside the box thinking around here.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Angry John View Post
I can see Dr. Dan being here representing the University, but Tim Wabler should have been with the women's basketball team.
Dr. Dan has virtually nothing to do with the operations portion of the venue in terms of hosting.

TW oversees AD operations which includes Tim O as well as all other administrative staff that make the world turn in terms of being a host site.

You don't just show up to the arena on Tuesday, unlock the doors, and let the tournament run itself.

For every person that *****es about hosting tournament games, they would be the first to get bent when the tournament decides to go elsewhere.
Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
TA111 (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 04:05 PM

To answer UD Doug. Yes, the President should be here, but I bet Jim Nantz and Clark Kellogg would enjoy having a legendary coach like Mike Kelly take them around the place than your typical sports bureaucrat like Tim Wabler.

Just absolute no outside the box thinking around here.
Answer me this.

Who is the AD?

What AD oversees men's basketball?

What AD oversees women's basketball?

Maybe if that legendary coach didn't oversee all sports other than men's hoops, he would have been at the arena too.

And for the record, I am as critical of anyone as the direction of the program in terms of flow from generation to generation...but to think that the AD isn't going to be in town when the president of the NCAA and others are present makes me think someone doesn't have a management background.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:07 PM
Captain

Answer this question all kool aid drinkers. If you can't treat all three equally and if push came to shove, who is more important ? The men's and women's basketball teams or holding the NCAA Tournaments ? Which one wins out ?

Your answers will rest my case.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:08 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

moville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant future
I think Wabler is in a tough place. He seems to be a good man who bleeds red and blue - Chaminade and UD grad. He does, unfortunately, have the weight of the world on him right now. My fear is somebody in the administration is going to throw him under the bus for something I don't think he could have controlled - being or not being a member of the first class of the new Big East.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:10 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute

I feel pretty confident saying that Nantz and Kellogg have no idea who Mike Kelly is.
Mad Props to Buster Goode For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 04:16 PM
Captain

They know Mike Kelly. If Jim Nantz did not know Mike Kelly, than he would not know John Gruden. We know that is not true.
Mad Props to Angry John For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDEE79 (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 04:24 PM
Major

Bill Elwood has a spectacular aura aboutBill Elwood has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by moville View Post
I think Wabler is in a tough place. He seems to be a good man who bleeds red and blue - Chaminade and UD grad. He does, unfortunately, have the weight of the world on him right now. My fear is somebody in the administration is going to throw him under the bus for something I don't think he could have controlled - being or not being a member of the first class of the new Big East.

I suspect you are on to something, Moville.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:26 PM
Colonel

NorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Answer this question all kool aid drinkers. If you can't treat all three equally and if push came to shove, who is more important ? The men's and women's basketball teams or holding the NCAA Tournaments ? Which one wins out ?

The image of the University of Dayton.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:36 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
They know Mike Kelly. If Jim Nantz did not know Mike Kelly, than he would not know John Gruden. We know that is not true.
Huh? What does John Gruden have anything to do with Nantz knowing Mike Kelly? Do they then have to know Gruden's coach at Muskingum College too since they know Gruden?
Old 03-25-2013, 04:36 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,593 Times in 3,714 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute

So Wabler being in NY with his pom poms to cheer on the team, is more important to you than being at the arena rubbing elbows with NCAA & CBS execs, here to assist with any issues that might arise during the 6 days of the tournament as we are in the national spotlight and make sure Dayton is portrayed in the positive light we want our city and university presented.

I am starting to question your agenda on here
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bill McPeek (03-25-2013), oldfan (03-25-2013), shocka43 (03-25-2013), UD Sam (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 04:41 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,011 Posts
xubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond repute
If you're hosting an NCAA championship event, there are a lot of things that need to be in place long before the actual event. Like...who's in charge, for instance. There aren't too many programs in the country who's senior AD would have gone out on the road when the school was hosting a championship event, especially if that event were men's basketball.

There does need to be an "acting administrator" on the road with a team. The thing is, it doesn't actually have to be an AD, or an assistant AD. It can pretty much be any athletic department employee that isn't a coach of that particular team. This "acting administrator" really doesn't do anything. They go to a meeting with the coaches that lasts about a half hour to go over very elementary details like practice time, and how warm ups work, and what bench you'll be on, and what will happen if one of the start times is changed. That's really it. The most important administrative decision an active administrator may have to make is whether or not they take issues with the home team's logos on the court, or something like that. Seriously, that's all. In fact most "acting administrators" are often people who are sent on the road with the team as a reward. It's very cushy responsibilities, and it's a chance to travel with a team and say that you were an acting administrator.

It's one thing for the senior AD to be there to support the team if he can be, but if the school is also hosting another championship event, he really can't be, especially if he committed to on campus months prior to knowing that the women's team was even in.
Mad Props to xubrew For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (03-26-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 04:43 PM
Major General

xubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond repute
I've also never heard of a case where a university's president had anything to do at all with hosting NCAA events or traveling with teams. They go to the games, but they oftentimes make their own arrangements and aren't in charge of making any decisions or overseeing anything pertaining to a sporting event.
Mad Props to xubrew For This Totally Excellent Post:
NorthwestFlyer (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 04:44 PM
Captain

Wabler only needed to be in NYC on Sunday. He could have been here at UD Monday through Saturday. By Sunday, any problem with the Tournament would have been fixed.

Goodness gracious people, Mr. Wabler should be able to do both factors justice.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:48 PM
Major General

Wabler only needed to be in NYC on Sunday. He could have been here at UD Monday through Saturday. By Sunday, any problem with the Tournament would have been fixed.

The games at UD Arena were on Sunday. I just don't think it would have been a good idea on Saturday for him to say "Well, everything appears to be fixed, so I'm leaving now." It's funny to imagine, but it would not have been smart.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:55 PM

Thanked 17,163 Times in 5,120 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Drugs. They do harm.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
"Yeah....220, 221, whatever it takes." - Jack Butler (Mr. Mom)
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bill McPeek (03-25-2013), smitch425 (03-25-2013), Tony T 71 (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 05:07 PM
Colonel

Ha! everything is fixed except for any unknowns that come up. He was in the right place and if you think **** don't happen, take a look at the SEC tournament in Atlanta a few years back.

Was there an injustice someplace?

Last edited by NorthwestFlyer; 03-25-2013 at 05:10 PM..
Mad Props to NorthwestFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Tony T 71 (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 05:20 PM

Sid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant future
I don't understand why folks on this board continue to respond to guys like Angry John when it is obvious he has little positive to offer and/or his comments are based on things he knows very little about. He obviously lives for getting people riled up and becoming the center of attention. After his first two or three rants, you get the idea he is not going to be convinced that his thoughts/opinions are generally not shared and he doesn't know when to shut up and just go off on his wife or kids (actually, for their sake, maybe it is better he takes out his frustrations on us).

Usually, if someone doesn't like how a retail establishment/restaurant is operated, they will stop patronizing them. If he is so much against the way everything is done at UD, he should find some other team to follow.
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Sid Louick For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bill McPeek (03-25-2013), jaburr91 (03-26-2013), m21eagle45 (03-25-2013), oldfan (03-25-2013), springborofan (03-25-2013), Tony T 71 (03-25-2013), UD62 (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 05:34 PM
Captain

Crunk Juice is a jewel in the roughCrunk Juice is a jewel in the roughCrunk Juice is a jewel in the rough
I wish I was an expert on every subject like Angry John.

Last edited by Crunk Juice; 03-25-2013 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: typo
Mad Props to Crunk Juice For This Totally Excellent Post:
Tony T 71 (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 05:38 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,288 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
The games at UD Arena were on Sunday. I just don't think it would have been a good idea on Saturday for him to say "Well, everything appears to be fixed, so I'm leaving now." It's funny to imagine, but it would not have been smart.
No need to try to explain anything to john, he has all the answers
Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Tony T 71 (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 05:54 PM
Major

FlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really nice
Perhaps Angry John has anger management issues. Any guy who has gone 11 years on UDPride and not given one "thanks" doesn't seem very grateful for what anyone does.
Mad Props to FlyerYouBetcha For This Totally Excellent Post:
Tony T 71 (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 05:55 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,767 Times in 1,133 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
It's going to be a long off season with the negative posters coming on to stir the pot every few days.

If it continues, I'm signing off until Fall.

I guess if no one responds, they'll get bored and find some other cornflakes to p!ss on.
Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Tony T 71 (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 06:20 PM
General

Thanked 4,540 Times in 2,057 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
So Wabler being in NY with his pom poms to cheer on the team, is more important to you than being at the arena rubbing elbows with NCAA & CBS execs, here to assist with any issues that might arise during the 6 days of the tournament as we are in the national spotlight and make sure Dayton is portrayed in the positive light we want our city and university presented.

I am starting to question your agenda on here

Angry John's agenda is to stir the pot, then sit back and snicker w/his friends in his mom's basement.

The ignore list was made for trolls like him - take advantage of it.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:38 PM

longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Glen Clark View Post
Angry John's agenda is to stir the pot, then sit back and snicker w/his friends in his mom's basement.

The ignore list was made for trolls like him - take advantage of it.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:14 PM
Colonel

At least tman was entertaining from time to time.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Sid Louick View Post
I don't understand why folks on this board continue to respond to guys like Angry John when it is obvious he has little positive to offer and/or his comments are based on things he knows very little about. He obviously lives for getting people riled up and becoming the center of attention.
I'm wondering where he has been for the last 11 years.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:26 PM

Thanked 15,915 Times in 6,996 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
I'm growin' kinda fond of the little fella...
Angry John (03-26-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 07:30 PM

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,706 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute

I think we know by now how you vote on this. How long are you going to beat on this, and at the same time be wrong.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (03-25-2013), longtimefan (03-26-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 08:25 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,172 Times in 2,321 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
I'm growin' kinda fond of the little fella...
You're the only one.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (03-26-2013), rollo (03-26-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 09:03 AM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyerYouBetcha View Post
Any guy who has gone 11 years on UDPride and not given one "thanks" doesn't seem very grateful for what anyone does.
There are worse UDPride abusers of the 'thanks' button than Angry John...just as there are UDPride abusers of the Pride+ memberships.

Angry John only has like 70 posts...he's basically a rookie...give him some time.

My beef is with the regulars here who refuse to give Chris R any semblance of what you call being 'grateful' by never, ever joining Pride+.

Nothing says 'thanks for busting your butt, Chris' like a check in the mail...
Angry John (03-26-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 10:02 AM

John,

You make some valid points on UDP, but are way off base here.

This isn't about the importance of what game/event is going on where. I would agree that the loyalty to UD Women's hoops should be of a priority to UD. But the management of events is what UD does best and TW is very good at overseeing that. It isn't about who, it is about what. UD women's NCAA appearance isn't being broadcast across the world for all to see. If UD doesn't do their job well, they don't host. UD's hosting of the tournament had no bearing on the women's program. To be honest with you, I would highly doubt that any person affiliated with the women's program even noticed or cared that TW was or wasn't there. In the real world people are in placed to see that operations are carried out. Not because some fan has a feeling that they should be in a certain place, while leaving the operational concerns of the University behind. They all are treated equally and their respective AD's were where they were supposed to be.

There is more than enough staff that travels with teams.

If you had any real idea of what goes on behind the scenes to be the model facility for NCAA hosting, then you would change your tune.

I guess that if a team does well that the sidewalks roll up at UD and the music stops?

I give them credit where credit is due and will be critical of other items regarding the AD. Facility management isn't one of the things they need to be taking advice from someone on UDPride.

The question to you I pose: What issues/concerns weren't taken care of with the women's NCAA game that TW needed to be present for to make a command decision?
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (03-26-2013), SeasonTicketFan (03-26-2013), TA111 (03-26-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 10:20 AM
General

Thanked 4,344 Times in 2,135 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Other than making face time at the Women's game, there is nothing of critical importance for Tim Wabbler or any other UD administrator to do at the Women's NCAA tournament game. They are essentially there as a fan, perhaps to offer moral support as they likely have a closer connection to many of the players/coaches than the typical fan.

During the first thru third rounds, I'd imagine a big part of Tim's job is to make sure that the NCAA execs are "taken care of", that means they're shown around town, have reservations at the right restaurants, are shown ample entertainment, any snags that crop up are handled quickly and efficiently.

If UD wants to keep hosting the NCAA at the arena, they need to put their best foot forward each and every time they get the event. There was next to nothing Tim Wabler could have done in New York to ensure that the Women's team gets invited to the NCAA next year or any year into the future.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (03-26-2013), UACFlyer (03-26-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 10:44 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,695 Times in 2,512 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Apparently, Wabler and his staff did a great job as the NCAA has been raving about UD's handling of the tourney.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (03-26-2013), shocka43 (03-26-2013), UACFlyer (03-26-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 11:47 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
I heard Wabler is headed to Queens for tonight's women's NCAA game against Kentucky. If he doesn't make it back and to Louisville for the men's tennis match at Louisville tomorrow, he should be fired.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Buster Goode For This Totally Excellent Post:
Chris R (03-26-2013), MrFlyerFanatic (03-26-2013), SeasonTicketFan (03-26-2013), shocka43 (03-26-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 12:01 PM
Major

Gem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by TA111 View Post
Apparently, Wabler and his staff did a great job as the NCAA has been raving about UD's handling of the tourney.

With all do respect, who cares? UD hosting NCAA tournament games does nothing to help improve our men's basketball program. While hosting games may help UD financially it does little to nothing to help our athletic programs improve in the win / loss column. Shouldn't our AD be worried about UD's athletic programs performance on the field of play? Can't something like hosting NCAA games be left up to some mid-level university administrator?

Hey, here is a thought, I bet if we were in the Big East we would make more off the TV contract ($2 to $3 million a year) then we would at hosting the First Four. Maybe we should work on improving our men's basketball program instead of hosting more NCAA tournament game for LaSalle.

Tim Wabler may be awesome at organizing and running events at the arena. He probably should be managing US Bank Arena or Hara Arena. As a season ticket holder, I could careless about another year of play-in games with Liberty or Flordia A&M. I only care about UD hopefully playing in an NCAA play-in game.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:08 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,285 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TA111 View Post
...and for some, that's the rub (see Gem's post).
Old 03-26-2013, 12:29 PM

UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Hosting NCAA games....

UD's exceptional role as a host for NCAA games certainly does not detract in any way from our athletics program, or men's BB, specifically.

Our NCAA role is nothing but positives....a few being considerable national PR that money can't buy. (My sister who lives in Houston called to say that she was thinking of me and UD while watching the OSU game.) And, we make some money,...not a lot, a small fraction of the athletics budget (<10%)...but, significant money.

Probably most important is this. The economic health and well being of Dayton is very important to UD. The NCAA events draw a large number of people to the Dayton who spend money while visiting....boosting the economy.

I've made some guesses about the number of visitors and how much they spend at hotels and restaurants. Since I'm just guessing, I won't mention the dollar value of my "guesses". But, it's serious money. No doubt some Priders know from DDN reports.

That is good for the City, good for UD,...and no sensible argument can be made that somehow UD's involvement is having an adverse effect on the basketball program.

Sure, everyone wishes that the men were playing somewhere in the Dance. But, that is an entirely different issue.
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
IndianaFlyer (03-26-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 12:34 PM
General

Thanked 4,540 Times in 2,057 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gem City View Post
With all do respect, who cares? UD hosting NCAA tournament games does nothing to help improve our men's basketball program. While hosting games may help UD financially it does little to nothing to help our athletic programs improve in the win / loss column. Shouldn't our AD be worried about UD's athletic programs performance on the field of play? Can't something like hosting NCAA games be left up to some mid-level university administrator?

Hey, here is a thought, I bet if we were in the Big East we would make more off the TV contract ($2 to $3 million a year) then we would at hosting the First Four. Maybe we should work on improving our men's basketball program instead of hosting more NCAA tournament game for LaSalle.

Tim Wabler may be awesome at organizing and running events at the arena. He probably should be managing US Bank Arena or Hara Arena. As a season ticket holder, I could careless about another year of play-in games with Liberty or Flordia A&M. I only care about UD hopefully playing in an NCAA play-in game.

This post is horse hockey in so many ways, but I'll stick to the most obvious:

The program and facility looked awesome on national TV - all week.

To all the Priders p!ssin' and moanin' about being passed over by the new BE (which is yet to be established), it's been pointed out that TV dollars are the driving force in conference realignment. You can sit around and complain about current and past administrators, coaches, and players till the cows come home, but that won't change past success - or lack thereof. That's water under the bridge.
The fact that a full UD Arena looks good on national TV is an important playing card in the conference reshuffle.
Getting all whiney about the school doing a great job with the tournament is just weak.

2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Glen Clark For This Totally Excellent Post:
UACFlyer (03-26-2013), ud69 (03-26-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 12:38 PM

Glen is right!

The program and facility looked awesome on national TV - all week.

The fact that a full UD Arena looks good on national TV is an important playing card in the conference reshuffle.
The Arena created an impressive, big-time atmosphere.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:39 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,285 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Buster Goode View Post
I heard Wabler is headed to Queens for tonight's women's NCAA game against Kentucky. If he doesn't make it back and to Louisville for the men's tennis match at Louisville tomorrow, he should be fired.
That depends...is the men's tennis team in the NCAA Championship?
Old 03-26-2013, 12:46 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

IndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
UAC is spot on. Hosting the NCAA is not adversely affecting us getting into the tourney. It's not an either or, both are possible. Simply put:

Economic benifit to Dayton area - millions
Positive publicity for UD - priceless

Last edited by IndianaFlyer; 03-26-2013 at 02:49 PM..
Mad Props to IndianaFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
chriscage (03-26-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 12:50 PM

tongue-in-cheek response....

Yeah...cuz we all can vividly remember how totally awesome Xavier's Cintas Center looked last year when they hosted the NCAA's 2nd and 3rd rounds....and Butler's gym, Hinkle Fieldhouse, looked even better! I still can't believe they pulled it off!!

Or was it the year before last?

Or maybe it was '08...

Regardless, without them hosting those NCAA games there's no doubt they'd still be in the A10 with us.
Radar (03-26-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Buster Goode View Post
Dan Curran was at the WSU game last night. I think he should be fired for that.
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
TerryK_67 (03-26-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 01:48 PM

This is much simpler than what people are making this out to be.

The logistics of running an NCAA venue are much more detailed than travelling with the women's team.

If the shortsightedness of this blinds those that refuse to see the benefit that hosting the NCAA is for UD and the region, then those will never get it.

ChrisR has stated a handful of times in the last week or so that had UD needed the facilities for tournaments other than the NCAA, they would have been able to work something out.

When TW's attendance at an event has an impact on the successes or lack of success with a certain program, we can complain.

FWIW, Kelly and Dr. Dan were in Philly for the women's A10 if that makes any of you feel better about where UD's resources are at any given time.

How many of the complainers are also complaining about Dayton economics?...yet UD can host a multi-million dollar show and there is an issue because the AD is at the host site?

If there are going to be complaints about the AD's office, place them at the management of the program you want to see successful....not at one of the things UD does very well. And I am in the critical camp of the direction of the men's program. Just not the logistical issues of being a host site and the positive impact it has on UD.

This is going to be a long ass off season.

Last edited by shocka43; 03-26-2013 at 01:50 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (03-26-2013), flyerfanatic86 (03-26-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 03:48 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
This is going to be a long ass off season.
Amen brother!
Old 03-26-2013, 04:27 PM

UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Hosting NCAA games and success of the men's basketball program aren't mutually exclusive. Too many are looking for something, anything that they can't distinguish what matters.

Absolutely nothing AD was going to do in the past week was going to improve men's basketball, or help the women beat St Johns.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:46 PM
Major General

How much money do people think UD gets directly from hosting NCAA Tournament games??

It's great for the city's hotels, bars and restaurants. But, how much does UD itself make??
Old 03-26-2013, 05:16 PM

Shouldn't our AD be worried about UD's athletic programs performance on the field of play?
The number of athletic directors who are hired and fired on the basis of wins and losses are few and far between. It's the job of coaches to win, given the resources they have. The number who are hired and fired based on funding and running the business side of the athletic departement are far greater.

The athletic director is not like a general manager in the NFL or MLB. Using the Reds, Wabler's job is much more like the Castellini sons than Jockety.

Wabler should be discussing with Miller why they aren't succeeding at the level they want, what Miller needs from the administration to win more games, studying others to see what the program lacks, and planning for succession. That is not a full time job. The rest is business operations. That is a full time job.

For what it's worth, here's the job duties at West Virginia

The WVU Director of Athletics is responsible for executive leadership for an NCAA Division I athletic program at the highest level of national standards, including:

■Providing leadership and sound decision-making with regard to all athletic department matters, including fiscal affairs, personnel, strategic planning, facilities, public relations, and general operations.

■Providing leadership to ensure that the WVU Department of Intercollegiate Athletics has a highly competent and diverse coaching, administrative, and support staff consistent with the mission of West Virginia University. In addition, the Athletic Director is responsible for supervision of coaches and athletic department personnel, as well as for fostering an environment of success within the department.

■Providing leadership that adheres to the highest standards of integrity in academic, financial, and business matters, as well as NCAA rules and regulations.

■Maintaining appropriate athletic department policies, procedures, and practices, and ensuring consistency with all University policies, Board of Governors and other regulations that govern the University, NCAA rules and certification requirements, and all state and federal laws, including Title IX.

■Ensuring an environment that promotes student-athlete health and welfare and a commitment to strong academic values.

■Maintaining active participation in University, conference, and NCAA planning systems and professional development opportunities.

■Committing to the key values of intercollegiate athletics and maintaining intercollegiate athletics as an integral part of the educational program through participation and continued leadership in all NCAA Division I certification programs.

■Providing proactive leadership in fundraising and revenue development, within practices that govern WVU and the WVU Foundation.

■Engaging the athletic department’s advisory councils (e.g., Athletic Council, Student-Athlete Advisory Council) and the University’s committee structures in relevant issues.

■Providing continual leadership to sustain a strong commitment to an inclusive environment and diversity and that serves the needs of student-athletes, coaches, staff, and the public.

■Providing maintenance and growth opportunities for community involvement, partnerships, and service initiatives.

■Representing the athletic department and West Virginia University to external constituents, including supporting the athletics and promotion of the entire University, furthering the University’s public interests.

■Serving as a member of the president’s senior leadership team to ensure alignment of the University’s mission and goals with those of the WVU Department of Intercollegiate Athletics.

■Handling other duties and responsibilities as appropriate to maintain a national-caliber athletic program.

Can't something like hosting NCAA games be left up to some mid-level university administrator?
No, it really shouldn't be. And it isn't anywhere else that host NCAA events.

Last edited by UDDoug; 03-26-2013 at 05:49 PM..
Mad Props to UDDoug For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (03-26-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
How much money do people think UD gets directly from hosting NCAA Tournament games??

It's great for the city's hotels, bars and restaurants. But, how much does UD itself make??
I doubt that it is much in the larger scheme of things. My guess is the NCAA pays $500K or so to rent the facilities and there might be some split on commission. Then UD pays operations staff out of that split.

The NCAA makes most of the money.