Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Football

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 10-27-2018, 04:07 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Columbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond repute
UD 38, Butler 28

Otherwise nice win, still gave up 22 first downs and 443 yds. Time for Rick to go.

At least when you're terrible, the choice is clear. Mediocrity can last for years and be harder to recover from.

https://daytonflyers.com/boxscore.as...&path=football

More league stats:
http://files.streamlinehosting.net/p...E/confldrs.htm

- Butler next to last in team offense
- Dayton next to last in passing defense
- 29 ppg allowed good for 4th in league ?!?!
- last in red zone efficiency
- distant last in opponent avg yds penalized ... Bad luck, not assertive enough?

Last edited by Columbia Blue; 10-27-2018 at 04:21 PM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Columbia Blue For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (10-27-2018), jack72 (10-29-2018), Showme Flyer (10-27-2018)
Advertisement
Old 10-28-2018, 06:56 PM
Colonel

Flyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the rough
Gosh Columbia Blue, you really laid out your reasons for a coaching change. But then you gave a link to the PFL stats and I guess my panic button differs from yours. I see reason for coaching changes at some other places but not necessarily Dayton.

I got to see the second half yesterday and liked a lot of things. What was not so good is what I read about here and it's defense which is kinda strange for a UD team. I wrote that in the past it was a strong thread for many years in this woven football fabric of the Flyers. Looks like the long ball plays of today have stretched that thread too far. It can be fixed; probably with some different schemes and recruiting focus. If that means a coaching change for defense, that's what's needed. Heck, I remember this Football Forum being filled with many more critics than 2018 (incl myself at times) and we ALL HOLLERED ABOUT OFFENSIVE PLAY CALLING!

So lets clean off our cleats and cinch up our pads for the next game and cheer for another win from these same boys & their same coaches so we can see impressive improvement ending the season that replaces early mediocrity.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer Gramps For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (10-30-2018), Cardsflyer (10-29-2018), Columbia Blue (10-29-2018), Showme Flyer (10-29-2018), skyflyerfan (10-28-2018), UD62 (10-28-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 09:28 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,282 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Agree Gramps. the offense is fine, the run defense is ok. The weakness this year is pass defense, mainly secondary. It may be coaching, scheme, player skill, inexperience, injuries or a combo of these things. Having said that I believe that we have regressed somewhat as a program, even allowing thar SDU has greatly improved. RC has a challange ahead of him, and the pressure will increase to improve. I'm not calling for anyone's head, just an honest effort to improve. The staff has to realize that we have slipped a bit. The challange is to change things in a positive way. A few years ago we made the playoffs, a return to that level on a relatively consistant basis would be nice.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (10-29-2018), Columbia Blue (10-29-2018), Flyer Gramps (10-29-2018), Showme Flyer (10-29-2018), skyflyerfan (10-30-2018)