» Advertisement
Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Blue & White Champions
Blue & White Champions
Published by UDBrian
09-23-2011
Blue & White Champions

What a difference a week makes. Before last weekend's matches the Flyers had lost five in a row. But, dominating three pretty good teams gives most fans a different perspective on where the team stands.

In the first match the Flyers played Cornell. When you look at the sideout percentage UD was at 68% and Cornell was at 39%. The Flyers hit .313 compared to .028 for Cornell. The Flyers also dominated in blocks 9 to 3. That is total domination offensively and defensively.

The second match of the weekend was against Syracuse. This figured to be a much tougher test because Syracuse was big in the middle and led the nation in blocking. In this match UD won the sideout battle 72% to 41%. Syracuse could only manage one block against UD's offense. The Flyers outhit Syracuse .350 to .104. Again that is total domination!

In the third match the Flyers played host Buffalo. The Flyers won the sideout battle 83% to 38%. WOW They outhit buffalo .521 to --.036. That probably deserves another WOW.

The Flyers won the Blue and White Classic in dominating fashion. Rachel Krabacher was named MVP. Megan Campbell and Samantha Selsky were also named to the all tournament team. You could easily argue that Yvonne Marten and Paige Vargas should have made the all tournament team.
When you dominate against anyone in division I it takes team effort. The return of serve has to be very good, setting has to be good, hitters have to make good choices and your defense must also play well. Every player on court contributed to this great weekend of vball.

Here is what coach Sheffield had to say about last week's play:

"I thought we played pretty well last weekend. From a statistical standpoint, it was the best passing weekend that a Flyer team has had in the past four years. The passers are putting in a lot of time outside of practice with Coach Britt getting reps and technical work. Their confidence is getting higher and higher by the week. Paige is doing an absolute great job of leading the back court. She's as consistent, mentally and execution-wise, as she's ever been.
I also thought we got a great weekend from Ally. We scored a lot of points off of her serve, her passing numbers were solid, and she was making digs we need her to make. It's particularly impressive considering she hasn't been practicing.

The A10 gets started this weekend. LaSalle and Temple are rolling into town. We have two chalk talks 30 minutes before the matches and a free kids clinic at noon on Saturday. Let's roll baby!!"

Thanks for the comments Kelly!

If you have remembered anything that I have written in the past two years you know that I am a fanatic when it comes to passing. Everything starts with the first pass and if you are a great passing team you are really tough to beat. Most people who have played setter would feel the same way.

Brittany is one of the best passers I have ever watched (mostly in practice) so the team is receiving great instruction and if they want to become a great passing team they will do it. I should mention that Adrienne and Amanda were EXTREMELY good passers also. It sounds like Paige is on her way to joining them.

This Friday UD plays Lasalle and then plays Temple on Saturday evening. I expect the team to continue their stellar play.

CHALK TALKS: Friday and Saturday evening at 6:30 adjacent to the Frericks Center. I will be there on Saturday. If you haven't attended one of these kelly talks about his offensive and defensive game plan. He also talks about tendencies of the other team and how they combat those tendencies. I highly recommend going and think that figgie would agree.

KIDS CLINIC: Saturday at noon there will be a free kids clinic in the frerick's center. I have seen kids under three years old on the court and it is tough to know whether the kids or players enjoy it the most.

I hope you can make it to the frericks center this weekend!
Article Tools
By Avid Flyer on 09-23-2011, 07:53 PM
Nice article Brian. First two things. It was a five game losing streak and it was the Buffalo Blue and White classic. Other that spot on. Looked like a totally different team. In the long run those losses at the Frericks the week before will carry this team far in the A-10 and beyond. Go flyers.
By UDBrian on 09-23-2011, 11:50 PM
You are going to become my proof reader!
Comment

Article Tools