User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-01-2017, 02:00 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,767 Times in 1,133 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Best all time atmosphere at UD Arena

With a sold out crowd, senior night, ,honoring the 1967 team and Red Panda, this is shaping up to be an historic night.

What are other memorable nights that others remember?

Pittsburgh, the A10 championship, and the MCC championship against X come to mind immediately.

Time for a stroll down memory lane and let's hope tonight lives up to its potential!
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-02-2017), Justin (03-01-2017)
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2017, 02:19 PM
Captain

hessbz12 is just really nicehessbz12 is just really nicehessbz12 is just really nicehessbz12 is just really nice
I'm hoping tonight is the best atmosphere ever. I've been to a lot of games in my life, although I'm only 37. I was not at the Pitt game, but my Dad said it was the loudest he's ever heard the arena.

I'm just very fortunate to be able to be there tonight. It sure has been a long day at work trying to push towards tonight!
Mad Props to hessbz12 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Justin (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 02:21 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,285 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Schelly-to-Chapman-to-Young

Dave Colbert buzzer beater vs DePaul
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
AZFlyer85 (03-01-2017), Flyer 86 (03-02-2017), Ready Action (03-01-2017), redbengal (03-02-2017), Sarge (03-02-2017), Smitty10 (03-01-2017), T-Bone 84 (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 02:27 PM
General

Thanked 4,345 Times in 2,136 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
The early run on Pitt was amazing, as was DJ Stelly's block in the left corner on Dwayne Wade to seal up a victory over Marquette (perhaps even in OT), many X games, etc... However, my most vivid memory has always been, and likely always will be the day that Jim Crews orders Chris Mack to throw the ball into McCracken's (?) face, not once but twice on out of bounds plays. I have never, and I mean never heard the crowd so in synch to boo Mack each and every time he touched the ball the rest of the game. I was maybe 12 at the time, can't recall for sure and the chorus of boos is firmly implanted in my head to this day.
Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-02-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 02:29 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,859 Times in 720 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
Wes Coffee.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to sheg For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (03-01-2017), CT Flyer (03-01-2017), Medford (03-01-2017), wes (03-02-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 02:30 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,630 Times in 766 Posts
CoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sheg View Post
Wes Coffee.
Wes CoffeeCan indeed.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:31 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,593 Times in 3,714 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Def Leppard concert at the arena in the 1988, give or take a year.

Oh wait, your talking basketball.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Al (03-01-2017), Ready Action (03-01-2017), T-Bone 84 (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 02:53 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,916 Times in 6,997 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute

March 4, 1978....#7 Notre Dame and the much hated Digger Phelps enter UD Arena to take on My Dayton Flyers. The game was on NBC and because cable hadn't taken over the world, it was the only game on that afternoon.

Back then the UD students emptied the dorm bathrooms of toilet paper and at the most opportune times, would chuck them at the visitors bench. On this afternoon, the atmosphere was electric, and only got stronger as we got closer to tipoff.

For those of you who were there, you most certainly recall the PA announcer telling everyone we were about to go live and counted down the last 10 seconds. As soon as he hit 3.....2.....1.....and the camera lights went on, what looked to this 15 year old Knight like 100s of rolls of toilet paper came flying out of the student section, all directed at the Notre Dame bench. And who could forget the 1 roll in particular knocking Digger right upside the head! The atmosphere in the Arena was f'in insane and like nothing I've seen since!

UD went on to win that game 66-59 and it was - to your King - the greatest game ever witnessed at UD Arena. Freshman Jim Rhoden's steal and layup with like 2-3 minutes left was the play of the day.

There have been other great games like DePaul, Pitt, X and UC...but nothing compared to the entire experience like that ND win. Nothing.

Last edited by rollo; 03-01-2017 at 03:01 PM..
12 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (03-02-2017), BeckysTXA (03-01-2017), CE80 (03-01-2017), cj (03-01-2017), ClaytonFlyerFan (03-01-2017), Flyer 79 (03-03-2017), Flyer 86 (03-02-2017), Justin (03-01-2017), runnerup (03-03-2017), Runnin' Rebel (03-01-2017), Sarge (03-02-2017), UDBaby (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 03:07 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,343 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Three games in a five game stretch (which was also part of an 11 game win streak) in 1990 that included wins over Notre Dame, XU and XU again in the MCC tournament. All great atmospheres.

The only downside to the MCC game was that there was no specific student section but a large group of us managed to work our way down to a section behind the opposite basket than usual and trade tickets with some season ticket holders that were situated there. As the game wore on more and more students forced their way down there as well and by games end it was a nice student section and close to the floor for the court storm.
Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
66flyer (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 03:09 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post

March 4, 1978....#7 Notre Dame and the much hated Digger Phelps enter UD Arena to take on My Dayton Flyers. The game was on NBC and because cable hadn't taken over the world, it was the only game on that afternoon.

Back then the UD students emptied the dorm bathrooms of toilet paper and at the most opportune times, would chuck them at the visitors bench. On this afternoon, the atmosphere was electric, and only got stronger as we got closer to tipoff.

For those of you who were there, you most certainly recall the PA announcer telling everyone we were about to go live and counted down the last 10 seconds. As soon as he hit 3.....2.....1.....and the camera lights went on, what looked to this 15 year old Knight like 100s of rolls of toilet paper came flying out of the student section, all directed at the Notre Dame bench. And who could forget the 1 roll in particular knocking Digger right upside the head! The atmosphere in the Arena was f'in insane and like nothing I've seen since!

UD went on to win that game 66-59 and it was - to your King - the greatest game ever witnessed at UD Arena. Freshman Jim Rhoden's steal and layup with like 2-3 minutes left was the play of the day.

There have been other great games like DePaul, Pitt, X and UC...but nothing compared to the entire experience like that ND win. Nothing.
This was mine too. And many of those tp rolls were the dorm kind. Remember them? They weighed about 10 lbs. each.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-01-2017), Flyer 86 (03-02-2017), Justin (03-01-2017), Radar (03-01-2017), Sarge (03-02-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 03:10 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,859 Times in 720 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
"Best all time" is a reallllllly high bar...but I'll do my best!
Old 03-01-2017, 03:12 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,285 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute

I happened to be there...as a freshman. Can't recall if I took TP with me

Digger was smokin' after getting hit and confronted Donoher about it as Mickey was trying (to little avail) to get Charlie Robinson to make a PA announcement to "refrain"!

That may have also been the year the Miami River froze and we walked across on the way to arena from campus. I know it was an ND game, just a little foggy on the year.
Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-02-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 03:12 PM

Thanked 9,816 Times in 4,076 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
For me Pitt an the A10 win vs X...

I can easily be persuaded tonight at about 2230 hrs. after watching a W over VCU with the most memorable senior class of my day.

I have been sad to see many individual players go, but this will be kick to the boys to watch these guys in their finale at the Arena.
Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-02-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 03:18 PM
1st Lieutenant

Mr_Sweets is a name known to allMr_Sweets is a name known to allMr_Sweets is a name known to allMr_Sweets is a name known to allMr_Sweets is a name known to allMr_Sweets is a name known to all
First Four game vs Boise St. 2015 - "Sibert for the lead,... GOT IT!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EODzkvMNzY
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Mr_Sweets For This Totally Excellent Post:
224 (03-02-2017), C-time (03-01-2017), Flyer 86 (03-02-2017), flyerfanatic86 (03-01-2017), Wallage (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 03:19 PM
Captain

Justin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant future
Back in 2011, we took New Mexico to 2 OTs. I thought at the end of the game was the loudest I've ever heard the Arena. And I've been to a bunch.
Mad Props to Justin For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-02-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 03:19 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, was going to mention the Boise State game. That was pretty bananas during the second half comeback, and then especially after the Sibert 3.
Mad Props to priceg75 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Justin (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 03:20 PM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
March 4, 1974. UD hammers 2nd ranked and 23-1 Notre Dame 97-82 the same season Notre Dame had ended UCLA's 88 game winning streak. UCLA then beats UD in the triple OT NCAA game.
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
ChampCar (03-02-2017), dirty deli (03-01-2017), Donniex3Era (03-01-2017), Justin (03-01-2017), Lifelong Flyer Fan (03-01-2017), Sarge (03-02-2017), T-Bone 84 (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 03:25 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,043 Times in 2,687 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Radar View Post

I was a Senior in the Pep Band for "The Shot". D@mned near got flattened by the crush of students rushing through us to charge the floor. Can still remember my buddy Gene on one side holding his arms out (like he was pleading for help) and yelling "OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD!", while another buddy Joe was on the other side, high-fiving everyone in sight and yelling "YEAH! YEAH! YEAH!". Friggin' unbelievable!

That said, the most unbelievable atmosphere I can ever remember in The Arena was UD-ND, 1974. Set the all-time record for single-game attendance that day (13,528, IIRC). I was 11 years old, and sat in the same seat I'll sit in tonight for the VCU game (yes, those seats have been in our family that long). Unbelievably loud from pregame all the way to the final horn, but that was understandable. ND was 24-1, ranked #2 in the country, and their only loss was to UCLA in the game that was payback for ND ending UCLA's 88-game winning streak earlier that season. Smitty and the boys sent 'em packing, 97-82. Many a garage in The Ghetto lost its life that night! Mom & Dad took us through on Sunday afternoon, to see the carnage. I didn't cuss as an 11-year-old, but if I had, my reaction would have been "HOLY $#!+"

GO FLYERS! BEAT THE RAMS!
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (03-02-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 03:26 PM
Captain

hessbz12 is just really nicehessbz12 is just really nicehessbz12 is just really nicehessbz12 is just really nice
Can you imagine if that Ohio State game when Vee hit "the kiss!" to win it was at the Arena???
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to hessbz12 For This Totally Excellent Post:
66flyer (03-01-2017), SeasonTicketFan (03-02-2017), shocka43 (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 03:27 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,221 Times in 549 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
I was in middle school/junior high for the best Notre Who games (still have a shirt.) They were great, the Schelly to Chapman to Young DePaul game was AWESOME! But for me, the 25 point beat down of Pitt was my favorite. That was the loudest (loUD should ALWAYS be spelled with a capital UD) I have heard the Arena in my 50 years.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:33 PM
General of the Air Force

T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
I happened to be there...as a freshman. Can't recall if I took TP with me

Digger was smokin' after getting hit and confronted Donoher about it as Mickey was trying (to little avail) to get Charlie Robinson to make a PA announcement to "refrain"!

That may have also been the year the Miami River froze and we walked across on the way to arena from campus. I know it was an ND game, just a little foggy on the year.
I remember Digger getting hit, and then confronting Donoher with the roll of TP in his hand, and the Digger quote I heard later was something like "What kind of chicken (bleep) program are you running here, Mick?" First time I ever saw Donoher go ballistic. He was as close as I ever saw him to slugging a fellow coach. I'm sure he regrets that exchange to this day, but frankly...Digger had it coming. I'M WITH YOU, COACH DONOHER!
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 03:34 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by hessbz12 View Post
Can you imagine if that Ohio State game when Vee hit "the kiss!" to win it was at the Arena???
It would have been "pandelerium"!
Old 03-01-2017, 03:38 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,619 Times in 2,468 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
March 4, 1974. UD hammers 2nd ranked and 23-1 Notre Dame 97-82 the same season Notre Dame had ended UCLA's 88 game winning streak. UCLA then beats UD in the triple OT NCAA game.
I think the '74 game was probably the best, but I have to give a nod to the 1970 ND game (W95-79) my senior year. It was pretty great. Still have my picture of the final on the scoreboard.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Class of 73 Alum (03-03-2017), SeasonTicketFan (03-02-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 03:53 PM
Captain

426 Kiefaber is a jewel in the rough426 Kiefaber is a jewel in the rough426 Kiefaber is a jewel in the rough426 Kiefaber is a jewel in the rough
I've been going to games since 94 when I was a freshman, and have followed closely since. I'd put the Pitt game first, and the OT win over Boise St 2nd. I don't think anything I've seen on TV or online tops those.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:58 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,344 Times in 450 Posts
Runnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond repute
It was not at the Arena... but the game UD played against Louisville at US Bank arena in 2006 was the best basketball environment I have ever been in.

Arena was split in half with Dayton fans on one side, and Louisville fans on the other... and both fan bases were at full throttle the entire game.
Mad Props to Runnin' Rebel For This Totally Excellent Post:
squirt (03-02-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 04:06 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
Def Leppard concert at the arena in the 1988, give or take a year.

Oh wait, your talking basketball.
If we're talking "any event", I'll nominate Queen's "News of The World" tour that came to The Arena in 1978. My first rock concert! WOW!
Old 03-01-2017, 04:08 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,743 Times in 798 Posts
UDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond repute

Would be my choice also Rollo...Most electric and satisfying game I ever saw at UD.

My memory is a little foggy for obvious reasons but I also recall a few sneakers flying outta the student section that day too....to say nothing of the pyro-celebrations that night around the ghetto!

It was then that my life-long (and ultimately well-founded) hatred of ND was born!
Mad Props to UDBaby For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 04:09 PM
General

Thanked 4,345 Times in 2,136 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
It was not at the Arena... but the game UD played against Louisville at US Bank arena in 2006 was the best basketball environment I have ever been in.

Arena was split in half with Dayton fans on one side, and Louisville fans on the other... and both fan bases were at full throttle the entire game.
that was a fun game, made even better w/ the UD victory, made even sweeter with the victory in Louisville the following season; I don't think that is what Slick Rick had visions of when he scheduled that home/neutral arrangement. Probably was kicking himself for not learning from Brooks Hall's game winning shot from the corner over his Kentucky squad (or perhaps Tubby was the coach) several seasons prior.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:00 PM
1st Lieutenant

88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of
How about this crazy roller coaster with almost unbelievable scenarios (and a Flyers victory!)

Dayton 79, Providence 77 -- 5 OT (Jan. 28, 1982)
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to 88flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-02-2017), UDGutter2 (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 05:46 PM

Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,080 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
I was in the pep band for the 78 ND game. That was number 1 for me. After I graduated in 79 I was away for twenty years so I missed some great ones. Since I have been back in 99 I would say Pitt, A10 championship win, then Boise. Away from the arena my best game was the defeat of Pitino and the Cards (it was thanksgiving break and I was in a combined student-alumni pep band) and when we beat the bearcats at their place in the NIT in 09.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2017, 05:57 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I think this was the game that someone said everyone was stomping their feet so hard the arena was vibrating and they feared the roof might collapse
Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (03-02-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 06:00 PM
Major

66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of
All of these games strike a chord with me, but I also remember a game with UC in the 80s where we were down 25 at the half. My in-laws were with us and we were so disgusted, we wanted to leave. Most of the rest of the extended family were at our church for an annual dance and we planned to come after the game. Why watch us lose by even more? My husband insisted we stay at least for the beginning of the 2nd half to see what happened. I said OK, but if we get down any more we're outta here. The Comeback Kids pecked away and pecked away and we won the game by almost 10 pts. It was funny when we got to the dance and everybody asked how bad the score was and found out we had won!
I will say, though, that beating XU back to back in 1990 was SWEET!
Mad Props to 66flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 06:04 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by 88flyer View Post
How about this crazy roller coaster with almost unbelievable scenarios (and a Flyers victory!)

Dayton 79, Providence 77 -- 5 OT (Jan. 28, 1982)
Was in the Pep Band for that one, too. By the end of the 3rd overtime, when we were doing the "Go-Go" cheer, we changed the words to "Home! Home! Let's go home!"
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
88flyer (03-01-2017), Flyer 86 (03-02-2017), UDGutter2 (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 06:09 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by 66flyer View Post
...I will say, though, that beating XU back to back in 1990 was SWEET!
Was fortunate enough to be an Alumni volunteer for the Pep Band for both the season finale against X and the MCC Championship Game, also against X. The place was really rocking, for the 2nd one especially. Who knew at that time that we were witnessing the last time we truly "owned" X?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2017, 06:18 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
I will second the atmosphere for the Boise state game being the best I was ever in attendance for. It's amazing what can happen when younger fans can get into the lower arena
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (03-02-2017), Justin (03-02-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 06:28 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute

Of all the games mentioned in this thread, Colbert buzzer beater was the only one I was at. Nothing like that Saturday afternoon atmosphere for a big game at the arena. The tension and intensity all in play as a fan.

My favorite day ever at the arena though was same year March 15th where I got to watch Navy beat LSU, Miami Ohio almost beat Len Bias and Maryland, Farleigh Dickinson almost be the only 16 seed to take down a One in Michigan and then last but not least, the Flyers vs. Nova. Didn't end well, but I never enjoyed a day at the Arena more. Though fans of Michigan and FDU were probably still in the Arena, it was a pretty intense atmosphere.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
squirt (03-02-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 06:44 PM
Colonel

pmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond repute
Tonight baby! Go league champion Flyers!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to pmcmullen For This Totally Excellent Post:
Justin (03-02-2017), springborofan (03-01-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 12:17 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
Seen a lot of great crowds.....but tonight's
was, "hungry", loud and responsive from opening
tip. With first ever league champ at stake I'll remember
this one forever.....equal to any crowd ever
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Piqua Flyer '66 For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyhi524 (03-02-2017), jack72 (03-02-2017), Justin (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 08:11 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

LI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant future
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2017, 09:05 AM
General

Thanked 2,829 Times in 1,552 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
NCAA game - UD playing eventual NCAA champion Villanova in 1986, I believe.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:32 AM
Academy Doolie

ChrisInVenice is just really niceChrisInVenice is just really niceChrisInVenice is just really niceChrisInVenice is just really nice
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
Of all the games mentioned in this thread, Colbert buzzer beater was the only one I was at. Nothing like that Saturday afternoon atmosphere for a big game at the arena. The tension and intensity all in play as a fan.

My favorite day ever at the arena though was same year March 15th where I got to watch Navy beat LSU, Miami Ohio almost beat Len Bias and Maryland, Farleigh Dickinson almost be the only 16 seed to take down a One in Michigan and then last but not least, the Flyers vs. Nova. Didn't end well, but I never enjoyed a day at the Arena more. Though fans of Michigan and FDU were probably still in the Arena, it was a pretty intense atmosphere.
I was there that day, too, and was going to mention it as my favorite day of college basketball ever.

Navy had David Robinson, Miami Ron Harper (I think), Michigan Gary Grant & Roy Tarpley and that Nova team beat Ewing & Gtown for the title.
Mad Props to ChrisInVenice For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 11:51 AM
Colonel

ChampCar is a splendid one to beholdChampCar is a splendid one to beholdChampCar is a splendid one to beholdChampCar is a splendid one to beholdChampCar is a splendid one to beholdChampCar is a splendid one to beholdChampCar is a splendid one to beholdChampCar is a splendid one to behold
That was the first Flyer game I ever saw. Went with my Dad and had seats in the top row corner WAY behind the Flyer bench. Donald Smith was unstoppable. Johnny Davis was a freshman blur. That was the loudest crowd I had ever been part of, or since.

It was the day that I became a Flyer fan.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ChampCar For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (03-02-2017), UDBrian (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 12:46 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,434 Times in 683 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by C-time View Post
I will second the atmosphere for the Boise state game being the best I was ever in attendance for. It's amazing what can happen when younger fans can get into the lower arena
Agreed. I'm not a long timer, but I was amazed at how insane that game was considering the building wasn't even full (a lot of the fans from the prior game left). It is the top for me. Pitt would be 2.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:53 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ChrisInVenice View Post
I was there that day, too, and was going to mention it as my favorite day of college basketball ever.

Navy had David Robinson, Miami Ron Harper (I think), Michigan Gary Grant & Roy Tarpley and that Nova team beat Ewing & Gtown for the title.
Yep, that was Harper's senior season. He was one year behind Velvet and to this day I wonder what would've happened had Harper chose UD and we had them both. Miami had the game won but couldn't inbound the ball. I think they called 2 timeouts trying to inbound in OT and wound up turning it over.

I found the final 20 seconds on youtube of that game. Lefty Dressell was Maryland's coach and I thought of the irony that almost the exact same thing happened to us against Davidson 16 years earlier with him as their coach. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qOzGsGI8Q0

Last edited by Smitty10; 03-02-2017 at 12:56 PM..
Flyer 86 (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 12:55 PM
Brigadier General

CoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond repute
I went to UD at a low point, 91-95. If I had to say, it was when Shawn Haughn hit 7 threes vs St Louis (I think).

Like I said, a low point.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CoffeeCan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-02-2017), Flyer 86 (03-02-2017), ruechalgrin (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 01:52 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,343 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Yep, that was Harper's senior season. He was one year behind Velvet and to this day I wonder what would've happened had Harper chose UD and we had them both. Miami had the game won but couldn't inbound the ball. I think they called 2 timeouts trying to inbound in OT and wound up turning it over.

I found the final 20 seconds on youtube of that game. Lefty Dressell was Maryland's coach and I thought of the irony that almost the exact same thing happened to us against Davidson 16 years earlier with him as their coach. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qOzGsGI8Q0
Am I correct in saying that they didn't even get Ron Harper a touch in the last possession?
Old 03-02-2017, 02:46 PM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,945 Times in 2,942 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ChampCar View Post
That was the first Flyer game I ever saw. Went with my Dad and had seats in the top row corner WAY behind the Flyer bench. Donald Smith was unstoppable. Johnny Davis was a freshman blur. That was the loudest crowd I had ever been part of, or since.
That was the loudest I have ever heard in UD Arena as well--the building was literally and figuratively shaking!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (03-02-2017), UDBrian (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 03:18 PM
General

Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
Am I correct in saying that they didn't even get Ron Harper a touch in the last possession?
Miami choked bad didn't they? Harper was all alone on outside on the left and they kept the ball over to the right and had 2 chances at better shots than the one they took.

That was Jerry Peirson's 2nd year as head coach and they went completely down hill after that for his next 4 seasons. Kind of like the same thing that happened to the Flyers after that game against Nova.
CT Flyer (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 03:33 PM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
As an example of noise, I was at the Dayton vs DePaul game where Young hit the winning shot. I vote for that game. Before the game ever started, while the DePaul team was warming-up, the thumping of feet was defeaning. I remember it to this day. The DePaul players kept looking around at the stands, smiling in disbelief. You could just feel upset in the air.

On the opposite of noise, i remember a moment when the crowd went totally quiet. It was at the Dayton versus Xavier game. The crowd was pretty noisy. There was a loose ball and Huelsman and a smallish guard for Xavier both charged for the ball. Huelsman completely over-ran the play. Huelsman's hustle was amazing. As the play developed, it was like the whole crowd stopped talking and took a deep breath. I think everyone expected the monumental crash. My old friend, who was with me to watch the game said, in a case like that, i'll take the 6'10" guy over the 5'9" guy every time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2017, 03:57 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by CoffeeCan View Post
I went to UD at a low point, 91-95. If I had to say, it was when Shawn Haughn hit 7 threes vs St Louis (I think).

Like I said, a low point.
Found it. It was 8 three pointers (8-8 actually) in front of 10,000. And it was SLU, which was ranked at the time.

http://daytonflyers.blog.daytondaily...mance-in-1994/
Mad Props to CoffeeCan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 04:12 PM
Captain

I'll say last night was up there with the best and loudest. I was lucky enough to be front row behind the basket by Dayton's bench. Just looking up at all the people. At one point I couldn't hear myself think. It was a great experience. Just all the things combined last night made it that much greater. My mom text me this afternoon and asked if I was still on a high from the game last night. I can't stop looking at highlights, reading Tweets, etc.

Like many have said in various threads, it's a great day to be a Flyer.
Mad Props to hessbz12 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 09:02 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,767 Times in 1,133 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
I hope AM had a couple recruits there last night!
Old 03-02-2017, 09:19 PM
Major

Go-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to behold
My 14 year old daughter turned to me several times saying "Dad, I can't take the tension!" She'll remember this game a long time.
Mad Props to Go-UD-Go For This Totally Excellent Post:
springborofan (03-03-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 12:29 PM
2nd Lieutenant

BoiseFlyer is just really niceBoiseFlyer is just really niceBoiseFlyer is just really niceBoiseFlyer is just really nice
Great topic.

I was at the '78 game ND game and it was indeed crazy. I always waited in line at KU to get front row tickets, but that one game people camped out so far in advance that I couldn't do it, so for the only time in 3 years I sat in the second section. The toilet paper was awesome, but some idiot next to me threw an unopened beer onto the floor from the second level. Thank God he didn't hit anybody.

By the next year the toilet paper had become commonplace for big games. Both papers wrote editorials ripping the students. I called both Hal McCoy and Ritter Collett and tried to defend it and they wrote follow-ups quoting me! 15 seconds of fame!

One other regular season game from 77-78 that I recall being crazy was us stomping 5th-ranked Syracuse. Jack Zimmerman went nuts from long range and we were up 20 at the half, even without a 3-point line.

The NIT games both my junior and senior years ('78 and '79) were pretty good atmospheres, too. One year we beat Fairfield and one year Holy Cross -- can't remember which was which. We lost the 2nd round game in '78 to former doormat Georgetown and their (then) obscure coach -- John Thompson. '79 our second round NIT game was a road game at Purdue -- we went over for that and it was REALLY loud.

We played a lot of games in those days where the crowds were nuts: Miami, UC, Louisville, Detroit (with Dicky V as coach).
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BoiseFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jeff (03-03-2017), LIBob (03-03-2017), rollo (03-03-2017), UDBaby (03-03-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 01:28 PM
Captain

LIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond repute
Holy Cross was '79. Beating DePaul with Aguirre and Cummings in '79 was a great atmosphere too. As well as the first half against Louisville when the Flyers got out to a big lead, but got pressed into submission in the 2nd half.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:00 PM
Colonel

Gilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud of
The Xavier game where Chris Johnson, then a member of the Grizzlies, came back and did the Crazy Towel guy routine during a timeout.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Gilchrist's Autograph 2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
mikeymo85 (03-03-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 02:25 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to priceg75 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (03-03-2017), SeasonTicketFan (03-04-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 02:48 PM
Colonel

Gilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud of
Love it!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-03-2017, 03:16 PM
2nd Lieutenant

BoiseFlyer is just really niceBoiseFlyer is just really niceBoiseFlyer is just really niceBoiseFlyer is just really nice
If you want to go wayyyy back

My mom, then 18, can remember going to see the Flyers beat then-#1 and undefeated Seton Hall at the fairly new-Fieldhouse in March 1953.

A lot of old-timers credit that game with setting the bar for UD fan support and enthusiasm.

My mom, who went to Julienne, used to go to games at the Fairgrounds with her uncle in the 40's.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BoiseFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (03-03-2017), SeasonTicketFan (03-04-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 07:33 PM
1st Lieutenant

Flyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud of

Definitely a memorable day. Pretty loud in the Ghetto that night as well. We burned our couch in the middle of the street on Stonemill. That was a thing then. And it ended up in Dayton Daily News. I was quoted in the article saying I knew we were going to win. Yeah, right.
Mad Props to Flyer 79 For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (03-04-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 08:00 PM
2nd Lieutenant

Our couch sacrificed itself on Lowes. Cops tolerated it until flames threatened the power lines.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:43 PM
General

Thanked 2,341 Times in 1,412 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BoiseFlyer View Post
Great topic.

I was at the '78 game ND game and it was indeed crazy. I always waited in line at KU to get front row tickets, but that one game people camped out so far in advance that I couldn't do it, so for the only time in 3 years I sat in the second section. The toilet paper was awesome, but some idiot next to me threw an unopened beer onto the floor from the second level. Thank God he didn't hit anybody.

By the next year the toilet paper had become commonplace for big games. Both papers wrote editorials ripping the students. I called both Hal McCoy and Ritter Collett and tried to defend it and they wrote follow-ups quoting me! 15 seconds of fame!

One other regular season game from 77-78 that I recall being crazy was us stomping 5th-ranked Syracuse. Jack Zimmerman went nuts from long range and we were up 20 at the half, even without a 3-point line.

The NIT games both my junior and senior years ('78 and '79) were pretty good atmospheres, too. One year we beat Fairfield and one year Holy Cross -- can't remember which was which. We lost the 2nd round game in '78 to former doormat Georgetown and their (then) obscure coach -- John Thompson. '79 our second round NIT game was a road game at Purdue -- we went over for that and it was REALLY loud.

We played a lot of games in those days where the crowds were nuts: Miami, UC, Louisville, Detroit (with Dicky V as coach).
Was at those games, and it was an awesome environment.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:49 PM
General of the Air Force

Yep, that was Harper's senior season. He was one year behind Velvet and to this day I wonder what would've happened had Harper chose UD and we had them both...
Hate to tell you, Smitty, but Harper was 2 years behind Velvet. Chapman was UD '84, and Harper was MU '86. It's easy for me to remember because one of Harper's teammates/classmates was Ron Hunter, the Georgia State basketball coach who went to the same high school as me. He was "the other Ron" while at Miami.

Still, yes, Harper and Chapman would have made for an unbelievable combination at UD. And so the story goes, Harper really wanted to come to UD, but either the University, Coach Donoher, or both were scared-off by his grades, a reported learning disability, or both. While I can appreciate the UD of my youth not wanting to take-on too many academic risks, Harper obviously proved his doubters wrong. UD's loss was Miami's gain, and the rest is history.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by T-Bone 84; 03-03-2017 at 09:59 PM..
Old 03-03-2017, 09:56 PM

Thanked 17,165 Times in 5,121 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
NIT vs. Penn State 2nd Rd. Sold out and biggest crowd of entire NIT. Only game Ive attended since 1979 where the entire crowd stood and cheered on every single defensive possession of the second half. We lost the game but it was day Dayton basketball shut the door on the past and 13,000 fans felt relevant again in the world of college basketball.

Remember the PSU radio crew say in the postgame that there was no venue in the Big10 that could have prepared their team for the crowd. Someone then followed up and said, "Breslin Center [MSU]?" And the radio guy said, "Not even Breslin." And this was when MSU was battling for national titles.

Sibert's shot vs. Boise State might have been the loudest single moment Ive ever heard.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
"Yeah....220, 221, whatever it takes." - Jack Butler (Mr. Mom)
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (03-03-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 08:44 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Go-UD-Go View Post
My 14 year old daughter turned to me several times saying "Dad, I can't take the tension!" She'll remember this game a long time.
Welcome to the world of being a Flyer fan, young lady!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2017, 09:10 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by BoiseFlyer View Post
Our couch sacrificed itself on Lowes. Cops tolerated it until flames threatened the power lines.
Not an "Arena" story, but a "couch" story: in '84, I watched the regional quarterfinals (Round of 32) in the Fieldhouse, now the Frericks Center. After that amazing victory, I went back to my house at 306 Kiefaber (which has been demolished and replaced by Art Street), only to see my housemates sitting on the steps, with their chins in their hands, looking like a bunch of Gloomy Guses. I remember saying something like, "Yeah! We beat Oklahoma! We're going to the Sweet Sixteen!...uh...where's the couch?" Without saying a word, they pointed to the intersection of Kiefaber and Lawnview, where the flames of a bonfire were now easily topping 10 feet off the ground. "Oh."

So, we asked our landlord if we could have a replacement for the one that got torched (that had belonged to one of us). He gave us one that had those 4x4 studs for legs. One of my housemates wanted to make sure we didn't lose the replacement to the same fate as its predecessor, so he went to the hardware store and bought 24 angle brackets (4 for each leg) and 24 concrete anchors, to secure the couch to the porch. Well, I was in the Pep Band for the Sweet Sixteen, so I wasn't around to witness the celebration when we beat Washington on Friday, but when I got back late Sunday night, I approached the house and saw 24 lonely angle brackets with no couch attached. The next morning, I saw one of my housemates at breakfast and said "Washington?" He sighed and said "Washington."

After that, we gave up on having a couch for the rest of the semester.
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (03-04-2017), rollo (03-04-2017), Smitty10 (03-04-2017)