User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-25-2017, 08:51 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Did AM see this coming for a long time?

Okay hear me out.

First off, he saw it through on his best recruiting class right up to having 4 seniors graduating. If he's got his future planned, would this be the year that he would figure to have a hard look at things?

2nd of all, he left us with 7 returning players, none of which it would seem could find the grass greener on the other side of the fence. 3 of them are local, 1 of them is a senior(not usually worth transferring when you're going to be looked at as seasoned veteran with just one year left of eligibility). One is the only PG with experience and not really good enough to think he's NBA caliber somewhere else and the other is a player that might find new life if the recruits disband. The final one is a player that's already missed a season due to transferring so would be unlikely to want to go through this again.

3rd, what is a recruiting class to a coach that figures to leave? Is it a resume builder(Look what I have put together for the future) and also leverage(I don't have to go anywhere, I'm pretty sure I put together a championship team for the future)? Is it a group from which you pick the sweetest fruit from to take with you when you leave?

The biggest puzzling move AM did was to go into next season with only 4 guard sized guards with no options for a 5th. 2 being freshman also isn't exactly the way you would expect AM to plan. It's puzzling why he gave away that last scholarship with this issue hanging over his head and again next(DD leaves and you have only one scholarship to replace with freshman guard).

So in someways AM left us in decent shape. We do have 7 returnees that aren't likely to leave. But in other ways, he left us far from the lofty expectations we thought we might have. Maybe most of the recruits stay and it turns out he left us in fantastic shape(minus the guard problem) but I doubt that very much. Unless we move up an assistant who played a heavy part in the recruiting process, I think we lose all of them.

I'm not ragging on AM one bit, a man has to do what a man has to do and he took a fabulous opportunity. But I'm thinking he must have had this on his radar for a few years(not necessarily Indiana, but figuring one of the prime jobs would come calling).
Advertisement
Old 03-25-2017, 09:13 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
From what I have heard, Archie mulled this over for a few days and it was not an easy decision.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:24 PM
1st Lieutenant

UD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud of
From what I am told is he received a call from IU prior to Crean been fired. After the call Dayton went on to lose It's next three games. Crean was then fired. Archie then turn down a UD offer in excess of 3 million a year for seven years. Then Archie is announced as Indiana's new coach.

I am wondering if we got his best work these last three games?
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD_Earl For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyercasey (03-26-2017), jack72 (03-25-2017), JimBo (03-26-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 10:00 PM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UD_Earl View Post
From what I am told is he received a call from IU prior to Crean been fired. After the call Dayton went on to lose It's next three games. Crean was then fired. Archie then turn down a UD offer in excess of 3 million a year for seven years. Then Archie is announced as Indiana's new coach.

Posted via Mobile Device
Remember comments on this most holy site that "Archie didn't seem to have the fire that he once had?" I know that Oliver bagged it once he had the Clemson offer...and it showed in that Tulsa game. I think he had the offer a day or two after Crean was fired.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:10 PM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by UD_Earl View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
Archdeacon has a article on this. He met with IU officials in Atlanta on his way to Cali to see his brother play X. This from Archie's Dad comments.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:22 PM

Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,865 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
The fact that Archie left us with a somewhat bare cupboard is probably a big reason why Archie left. How frustrating is it for a coach with Archie's passion and will to win not be able to get the players he needs? Steve's passing with no one to step up as a center had to be so frustrating to Archie. Then his freshman, sophomores and junior do no quite work out, and he is second guessing why he did not get better recruits, and can he get enough of them at Dayton.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:31 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
The fact that Archie left us with a somewhat bare cupboard is probably a big reason why Archie left. How frustrating is it for a coach with Archie's passion and will to win not be able to get the players he needs? Steve's passing with no one to step up as a center had to be so frustrating to Archie. Then his freshman, sophomores and junior do no quite work out, and he is second guessing why he did not get better recruits, and can he get enough of them at Dayton.
I don't believe for one moment he left us with a bare cupboard. He left us with 7 returning players, most figured into the starting lineup for next year and all but one the following season. He also had what looked like an amazing recruiting year on top of Kostas. Programs, including ours have been left in worse situations.

But that does bring to mind another point to add to my original post. The way he used his non-starters this season, especially Trey Landers, and maybe Crosby too, seems to indicate he wasn't at all worried about development for next season. Even in games we had massive safe leads, he didn't give Landers as much opportunity as he could've. And to be honest, I never saw anything so wrong with Landers that indicated he shouldn't have gotten the opportunities others did as freshman.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:41 PM

Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,865 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
I don't believe for one moment he left us with a bare cupboard. He left us with 7 returning players, most figured into the starting lineup for next year and all but one the following season. He also had what looked like an amazing recruiting year on top of Kostas. Programs, including ours have been left in worse situations.

But that does bring to mind another point to add to my original post. The way he used his non-starters this season, especially Trey Landers, and maybe Crosby too, seems to indicate he wasn't at all worried about development for next season. Even in games we had massive safe leads, he didn't give Landers as much opportunity as he could've. And to be honest, I never saw anything so wrong with Landers that indicated he shouldn't have gotten the opportunities others did as freshman.
There is not a right or wrong here. My expectations are just much higher than yours.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:05 PM
General

Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
There is not a right or wrong here. My expectations are just much higher than yours.
How many coaches have left for more prestigious jobs without their former team missing a beat? It doesn't happen often. But when would've the right time to leave us be? 2014?

You don't have higher expectations, what you have is lower expectations out of our returning players. He certainly left us with what looks like a great recruiting class. He can't do a whole lot more than that and can't be blamed if they don't stay(though you might anyway). And how would this team look if we hadn't lost Big Steve? Should this tragedy have forced AM's hands into staying longer and bypassing his personal goals?

I might see some things that Archie could've done better as far as preparing his players for the future(the returnees I'm talking about) but sure see nothing wrong at all with how he left this team. Nothing near as terrible as Purnell did.

There's is a right and a wrong here. AM either left because he was afraid his market value would sink because of what he sees in his own players (which is what you're suggesting) or he left because this was the type of job he was waiting for and a perfect time to take it(because he saw his class of seniors through 4 successful seasons). One of these answers is wrong. I'm not in AM's head so I'm not going to be so brazen as to suggest I know 100 percent which one it is like you are.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:45 PM
Major

Go-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to beholdGo-UD-Go is a splendid one to behold
There is no better job than Indiana. If he wouldn't take the Indiana job, he would never leave Dayton. Good luck Archie Miller. Now Go Flyers!
Mad Props to Go-UD-Go For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-26-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 11:56 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Go-UD-Go View Post
There is no better job than Indiana. If he wouldn't take the Indiana job, he would never leave Dayton. Good luck Archie Miller. Now Go Flyers!
There may be a couple, but none that were going to open any time soon. And once the chatter started back in February with the firing of Gottfried at NCST, this was one of the 2 or 3 jobs I most feared he'd take. The situation was too much in his wheelhouse. I believe he'll do well there, and I hope he does. And I hope that, once he does, the IU fans and administration are satisfied. Because, if they aren't, then there's no satisfying them, and we will have lost a really good coach all for naught.
Posted via Mobile Device