Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 05-02-2017, 12:46 PM
Captain

AZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud of
Proof the players watch our social media comments

Yesterday there was a post/story on the official "University of Dayton Men's Basketball" facebook page titled "Matej Svoboda signs with Dayton".

In the comments section below, many UD fans posted comments welcoming Matej to the Flyer family. Using a language translator, I posted a welcome comment in Matej's native Czech language.

Matej "liked" my facebook post.

Our players watch our social media posts.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to AZFlyer85 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (05-03-2017), Justin (05-03-2017), San Diego Flyer (05-03-2017)
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2017, 01:25 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Not saying you're wrong, but there is a big difference between following the Flyers page on facebook and UDPRIDE. If you are a player or recruit for UD and you already have a FB account, it would be normal to be add yourself to the group and be alerted to all DDN news stories that might be of interest to you. UDPRIDE is for the most part limited to UD fans and a very small percentage of them. Less debate takes place on the FB site so there's less vitriol toward the players.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 01:41 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,912 Times in 6,995 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OCFlyer85 View Post
Our players watch our social media posts.
Good!
Old 05-02-2017, 02:07 PM
General

Thanked 4,338 Times in 2,133 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
If you don't think the players are aware and occasionally (or perhaps even often in some cases) read this board, Matt's board (though probably less since you have to pay to post or read over there), or Blackburn review (did I leave anyone out?) then you are a fool. I'd even venture that some have posted on here at one point or another under the anonymity of the board. Keith Waleskowski's father Pete used to post regularly under one of the boards.

Its not like message boards are unique; every team of note (and some of less than a full note) has a message board or two, these kids are well aware of them growing up. What they do with the information is anyone's guess. I'm sure the administrations warns them against reading and most importantly reacting to the message boards, but I think as part of human nature you are going to be interested in what people are saying/thinking about your team.
Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
Justin (05-03-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 02:35 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I know for a fact many player and families read the boards, most do not post themselves. Case in point. I attend as many out of town events as possible. When I do am frequently asked by newbies if I have a son/daugh6on the team. Before I can answer one of those familiar with me pipe up, he's Avid Flyer, and then the discussions grow fom there.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (05-03-2017), flyercasey (05-02-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 08:51 AM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
And the point? Watch what we say? Make sure we try to be a positive influence? There's a whole world right outside your window that doesn't get coddled.
If I think something is true or viable I'm going to state it or inquire about it.
I was critical, but not demeaning of JC. Thought he was regressing the the more I saw him. Did he leave because of what he read on UDPride? Why defeat the purpose of a message board by insinuating a special code of conduct be used to shelter whomever may read it. Subliminal form of censorship iyam.
I guarantee you these kids have thicker skin from talking smack on the court to absorb or repel anything they'll ever read on here.
And I'll have to say I think the monitors/mods do a good job of letting things go. By the same token if a derogatory comment is made that crosses the line I appreciate the mods' reserve in letting the village take care of it. And the red-pippers Just be yourselves. These young adults don't need coddled.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FLYER5 For This Totally Excellent Post:
31770 (05-03-2017), BRob2Perryman3 (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 09:15 AM
Captain

Justin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant future
I know, first hand, that our players read, interact and react to social media posts about them and the team. Our players are tech savvy and almost all of them have very active twitter accounts. I've discussed online trolling with certain players and they are aware of their reputations, good and bad. As soon as Archie leaves the room after a game, the first thing our players grab is their phone.

As for watching what we say, I think sometimes we all have a tendency to be reactionary and overly critical because we care. But, I also think it's what makes Flyer Basketball, Flyer Basketball. So, in the end, I've added no good content to this thread, sorry you've read this far.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Justin For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (05-03-2017), FLYER5 (05-03-2017), rollo (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 09:31 AM
General

Thanked 4,338 Times in 2,133 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FLYER5 View Post
And the point? Watch what we say? Make sure we try to be a positive influence? There's a whole world right outside your window that doesn't get coddled.
If I think something is true or viable I'm going to state it or inquire about it.
I was critical, but not demeaning of JC. Thought he was regressing the the more I saw him. Did he leave because of what he read on UDPride? Why defeat the purpose of a message board by insinuating a special code of conduct be used to shelter whomever may read it. Subliminal form of censorship iyam.
I guarantee you these kids have thicker skin from talking smack on the court to absorb or repel anything they'll ever read on here.
And I'll have to say I think the monitors/mods do a good job of letting things go. By the same token if a derogatory comment is made that crosses the line I appreciate the mods' reserve in letting the village take care of it. And the red-pippers Just be yourselves. These young adults don't need coddled.
I don't think anyone is asking that you "watch what you say" or "filter", but as is true in all realms of life, be real, and be honest. You may get criticized for your opinions or praised, but as long as you are willing to own them and are fair in your reasoning, then there is nothing wrong.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (05-03-2017), FLYER5 (05-03-2017), Justin (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 09:52 AM
Captain

31770 is a jewel in the rough31770 is a jewel in the rough31770 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
... one of those familiar with me pipe up, he's Avid Flyer...
Wow... somebody is Rollo famous....
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to 31770 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (05-03-2017), Justin (05-03-2017), rollo (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 11:26 AM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
You should hear/see what the players say/write about us...
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Ready Action For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (05-03-2017), FLYER5 (05-03-2017), FlyingArrow (05-03-2017), rollo (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 12:48 PM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
Before I can answer one of those familiar with me pipe up, he's Avid Flyer, and then the discussions grow fom there.
Well yah, you ARE unmistakable in your Namath fur coat and Elton John sunglasses. I mean...
Old 05-03-2017, 12:49 PM
Captain

AZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud of
My intent was not to ask people to edit their comments or "be nice". I was simply pointing out that it appears they watch our social media comments closely.

I was very surprised to get a "like" from Matej on a Flyer facebook page.
Mad Props to AZFlyer85 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 02:24 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by OCFlyer85 View Post
My intent was not to ask people to edit their comments or "be nice". I was simply pointing out that it appears they watch our social media comments closely.

I was very surprised to get a "like" from Matej on a Flyer facebook page.
I didn't address my comment toward you. It seemed the thread was taking the turn "if you don't think the players read,...blah..blah..blah" like they always do. Seems some try too hard to make this a learning experience for the rest of us
Old 05-03-2017, 03:54 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

TX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
or people could just not tweet them
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TX Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (05-03-2017), flyerfanatic86 (05-04-2017), m21eagle45 (05-03-2017), Phi Psi Flyer '09 (05-03-2017)