Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-10-2017, 10:28 PM
Captain

RamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud of
Most concerning thing about today's loss

Out of all the things that were disappointing about these last 2 losses one thing sticks out more than anything else..

Has anyone else noticed the change in Archie's body language and coaching style? Especially today?

It's getting towards the end of a long season and you have 4 seniors. All of the guys should be more than prepared for anything that gets thrown at them. The way they have responded is what I believe is triggering this change in Archie. He's to a certain extent helpless at this point in time. At this time of the year it is mostly if not all on the players.

I have never seen Archie so stoic and quiet coaching a basketball game. I have never seen Archie NOT coach his team's hard for the full 40 minutes. The seniors turn it on and off when they want to and it's killing him.

If the Flyers make the tournament I think that is exactly the kind of shot in the arm they would need to get back on track to make a good run at it. However, I have zero trust in the NCAA to put us in based on past history. They will use everything against us to keep us out. Back to back losses in March with the team full strength etc etc etc...
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2017, 10:37 PM
General

Thanked 2,341 Times in 1,412 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Understand your point. Know where you are fishing.

He may believe if he loses his composure, the team may also. Hard to tell without being close to the players.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:42 PM
Captain

RamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Understand your point. Know where you are fishing.

He may believe if he loses his composure, the team may also. Hard to tell without being close to the players.
I have never never ever seen Archie like that since he came to UD. It was like his heart was breaking watching the way his team was playing and there was nothing he could do. Very concerning.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to RamodWaleskowski For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-11-2017), UDGutter2 (03-11-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 11:22 PM
Major

FlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to behold
My hope is this senior lead team hasn't played with the win
or be done sense of urgency yet. They knew they didn't need to
win at GW to get the top seed in the league tournament, I believe
they didn't feel a win was necessary today to make the NCAA
tournament. I don't like the behavior, and I could be completely off.
If that's the case, and they play balls out from here, fine. If they start
out deep in a hole from here on out..they'll very likely not get out of it.
I'd hate to see these 5 seniors go out 0-3.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyerinChicago For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-11-2017), RamodWaleskowski (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 11:55 PM
Major

FlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by FlyerinChicago View Post
My hope is this senior lead team hasn't played with the win
or be done sense of urgency yet. They knew they didn't need to
win at GW to get the top seed in the league tournament, I believe
they didn't feel a win was necessary today to make the NCAA
tournament. I don't like the behavior, and I could be completely off.
If that's the case, and they play balls out from here, fine. If they start

Posted via Mobile Device
Just read this:

“We’re only as good as the fear in our team. Our team has to fear.
They have to be fearful of losing.” -- UD coach Archie Miller

Agree
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyerinChicago For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-11-2017), Flyer 86 (03-11-2017), UDGutter2 (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 12:21 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Just read this:

“We’re only as good as the fear in our team. Our team has to fear.
They have to be fearful of losing.” -- UD coach Archie Miller

Agree
Posted via Mobile Device
This goes right along with the mentality of every time UD gets ranked or close to it they lose very soon thereafter. Archie often goes out of his way to avoid and discount questions about being ranked when they are asked by reporters. It's like he and the team don't like the expectations or pressure that goes along with being ranked.

This team not being able to play with focus and effort when they are favored or there is no threat of a negative consequence is on the coaching staff. In future seasons where UD is in these type of situations they need to find a way to change the mindset of the program. Maybe a sports psychologists could help.

In the short term hopefully UD gets a 10/11 seed against some power conference school so they might feel disrespected and actually fear losing the game.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:24 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,166 Times in 4,198 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
If they start
I agree with this...you can not let the opposition build a big lead in the NCAAT, and then turn up your intensity in the 2nd half and expect to win.

All the teams in the NCAAT are good, and you have to come ready to play from the opening tip.

Even #2 seeds have gotten upset in the first round.

The NCAAT is a higher level of competition, you can't loaf.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:22 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,394 Times in 2,479 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
I think the most disappointing thing about this game was the lack of intensity in the first half. It looked like the team was just going through the motions with no sense of urgency. It might as well have been a walk-thru.

You never know all the pieces because fans are on the outside looking in. But I think this team, especially the seniors, are all-in on the trueteam concept. And on doing so, have we missed a key component? Are we missing a leader of the team? Is anyone willing to call out a teammate when it's needed? Do KP and Scoochie know doing that is not counterproductive to the trueteam concept?

I also don't think it helps one of our captains has been out most of the year - Josh - who has had so little chance to let his play on the court solidify his captain status. I've heard KP is the most vocal. Not sure where Scoochie is in terms of vocal leadership. I believe this team needs KP and Scoochie to both become more vocal in calling out teammates when they come out flat.

As far as Archie is concerned, I point to two recent actions. First the cutting down the nets. He clearly thought the team was over-celebrating the regular a10 championship. Hindsight is 20-20. He was right on. Second, the media listened into the huddle during the first timeout yesterday. The report was Archie was challenging the team. He was saying, "Why do you want to play like this?" He said they were suppose to be playing faster, getting out and running off rebounds, and going inside if they had to settle into a half court set. They weren't doing any of that in the first half.

I refused to vote for Archie in the poll yesterday, because it was the team not executing the game plan and Archie was calling them out on it. And you have to wonder what he said to them at halftime to finally get their attention. You can debate using a full court press more, but I think the ownership for the results of the last two games rests with the players, not the coach.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-11-2017), Ivan (03-11-2017), MikeF (03-11-2017), rollo (03-11-2017), Smitty10 (03-11-2017), TMPH66 (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 07:19 AM
Major

UDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant future
The team was not prepared for the last 2 games. He needs a late season coaching adjustment.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:40 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,388 Times in 620 Posts
AC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond repute
I absolutely agree about the 1H intensity. However, Don't discount how limited we became yesterday with Cookes foul trouble and mikesell's and Crosby's poor play in the 1H. And down the stretch we didn't have DD who I thought was playing well. Depth was supposed to be a strength especially vs Davidson and it was neutralized completely
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to AC91 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-11-2017), Flyer 86 (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 07:42 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,084 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Last nite I had the chance to be repeatedly embarrassed for the team as I watched multiple games on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU when they scrolled game recaps on the bottom of the screen noting that #1 seed Dayton lost.

Had I not known how the game went down I could surmise that it just was the way some of these games go ... but knowing how it did go down just made me mad as hell.

All these players have privileges to play for the University. And I can tell you none of what they are given was similar to my experience. But I wasn't asked to do anything as part of my deal with the U. They are asked to commit to time, energy and whatever else that are different than I had to commit to.

Last year the team became dysfunctional for the latter 1/3 of the season. The result was a complete ineptness on display in the Syracuse game.
This year the team has at too many times been late for the start of the game. What I mean by that is they play as we expect them too in the second half. We made excuses for them early in the season. Loss of BigSteve and them having to get their chemistry back, Josh being injured, and on and on the excuses went.

Unfortunately this tendency to play only 20 to 30 minutes of a 40 minute game is nothing but some type of psychosis dysfunction in the teams mental state. This tendency has shown itself throughout the season, disappearing for a while then showing up when we least expect it.

Not sure the issue is with the coaching staff during their practices and film study. The proof in the players play in the first 10 minutes verse their reaction and level of play in the first 5 minutes of the second half me thinks it isn't Arch and staff.

People have argued on posts here that these 2 loses will or will not impact an invite or seeding number. HE "double hockey sticks", if the team plays like they are capable of (in the negative way) it doesn't matter! They could be a 1 seed and make history as the first to fall to a 16 seed.

People have said they aren't worried about seeding, it's the match up that is important. Well again, what does the match up do for them if they play as we unfortunately have witnessed? Do we think that the opponent is just gonna let us play however we feel and roll over? Get real!

Archie talked about fear. Well maybe the one thing the staff could do is instill a little coach's wrath between now and if any other games take place this season. I'd make the team stay in Pittsburgh and watch every stinkin game through the championship ceremony and remind them of the chance they blew. In between, I'd take them to the gym Archie's father coached at and have the team practice till they were pi$$ed as hell at me.

Someone needs to kick a lot of butt. These guys are better than this! Yes they have made some history, BUT it was earned in one way or another. Now don't poop in your pants cause you think you made it! It an't over unless you make it over.

The power is in their hands, mind and heart. Don't waste it!
Old 03-11-2017, 08:22 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,461 Times in 612 Posts
UD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond repute
These are 22 year olds with access to the internet and all of the press. They played like they knew their ticket was punched. All that was at risk was a seed range between 6-10. If the kid from Iceland misses the wide open three - I think they pull it out. Both Gibbs and Aldridge were blanketed on that play. Like wise, if we don't play like we did in the last minute at Rhode Island or the last 4 at Davidson we lose those games.

It is basketball. The first 10 minutes were where the problem was. As archie said at half. You can't miss "high school layups". 10-14 points lost on missed bunnies and at the free throw line.

It all comes down to who we are matched up against in the NCAA. Their backs are against the wall again.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:43 AM
Colonel

312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by UD90 View Post
These are 22 year olds with access to the internet and all of the press. They played like they knew their ticket was punched. All that was at risk was a seed range between 6-10. If the kid from Iceland misses the wide open three - I think they pull it out. Both Gibbs and Aldridge were blanketed on that play. Like wise, if we don't play like we did in the last minute at Rhode Island or the last 4 at Davidson we lose those games.

It is basketball. The first 10 minutes were where the problem was
. As archie said at half. You can't miss "high school layups". 10-14 points lost on missed bunnies and at the free throw line.

It all comes down to who we are matched up against in the NCAA. Their backs are against the wall again.
Funny, I just posted a similar thought in response to another thread.

One question though - I can list some very bad match-ups for us, but who would be a good match-up for us in the NCAA?
Old 03-11-2017, 08:57 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RamodWaleskowski View Post
Out of all the things that were disappointing about these last 2 losses one thing sticks out more than anything else..

Has anyone else noticed the change in Archie's body language and coaching style? Especially today?

It's getting towards the end of a long season and you have 4 seniors. All of the guys should be more than prepared for anything that gets thrown at them. The way they have responded is what I believe is triggering this change in Archie. He's to a certain extent helpless at this point in time. At this time of the year it is mostly if not all on the players.

I have never seen Archie so stoic and quiet coaching a basketball game. I have never seen Archie NOT coach his team's hard for the full 40 minutes. The seniors turn it on and off when they want to and it's killing him.

If the Flyers make the tournament I think that is exactly the kind of shot in the arm they would need to get back on track to make a good run at it. However, I have zero trust in the NCAA to put us in based on past history. They will use everything against us to keep us out. Back to back losses in March with the team full strength etc etc etc...

I didn't notice Archie all that much as I was too busy breaking lamps, but if you are true, it reminds me of Purnell's demeanor in his last game in 2003 in the tournament where we got bounced by Tulsa.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Buster Goode For This Totally Excellent Post:
RamodWaleskowski (03-11-2017), UDTradition (03-12-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 01:47 PM
General

Thanked 2,826 Times in 1,551 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 312to937 View Post
Funny, I just posted a similar thought in response to another thread.

One question though - I can list some very bad match-ups for us, but who would be a good match-up for us in the NCAA?
Xavier, Michigan State (if they get in), and anyone from the Southeast Conference except KY. I would love the Flyers to get on the court with these teams.
Mad Props to TommyGola For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 01:57 PM
Colonel

312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by TommyGola View Post
Xavier, Michigan State (if they get in), and anyone from the Southeast Conference except KY. I would love the Flyers to get on the court with these teams.
Agree with those, although I might be a bit wary about MSU with Izzo's record in March. Clearly though, this is not one of his better teams. I'd take X - now that might wake us up!
Old 03-11-2017, 04:10 PM
General

Thanked 2,341 Times in 1,412 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
This thread skirting around the topic. I don't believe Archie has checked out. More likely he believes screaming at players will not enable layups to go in.
Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 04:26 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,033 Times in 2,682 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
This thread skirting around the topic. I don't believe Archie has checked out. More likely he believes screaming at players will not enable layups to go in.
Agreed. He's probably thinking "They're Seniors. If they haven't 'gotten it' yet, they're not going to."
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2017, 04:26 PM
Captain

Talking

That's not it at all. I don't think he is going anywhere. I was genuinely commenting on how weird it was to see him like that. There's nothing else he can do to get them to focus and play better. This late in the year it's on the seniors/leaders to take ownership of the teams quality of play. Especially when we have so many battled tested seniors leading us. You have to want it more than the other team in March. The seniors clearly didn't want it the last 2 times out. It's almost as if Archie is saying "ok, im not going to coach you until you play hard". He just doesn't have an answer for it.

I would like to think we have a very TOUGH senior class. Losing the last 2 games because of a lack of focus/hunger is what is so shocking and disappointing to everyone involved.

Last edited by RamodWaleskowski; 03-11-2017 at 04:30 PM..
Mad Props to RamodWaleskowski For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDTradition (03-12-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 04:33 PM
Captain

Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
Agreed. He's probably thinking "They're Seniors. If they haven't 'gotten it' yet, they're not going to."
Posted via Mobile Device
I think he's just depressed that the seniors are going out like this right now. His comments during the first tv timeout against Davidson say it all.

Last edited by RamodWaleskowski; 03-11-2017 at 04:36 PM..
Old 03-11-2017, 04:39 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,887 Times in 644 Posts
dnutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond repute
Archie has said multiple times this season that he doesn't need to scream and act crazy with this group. They are seniors and they've been in a lot of heated battles. More often than not, UD has prevailed. The boys played bad last night, but I presume that they'll make a lot of noise starting next week.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2017, 04:41 PM
Captain

Originally Posted by dnutz77 View Post
Archie has said multiple times this season that he doesn't need to scream and act crazy with this group. They are seniors and they've been in a lot of heated battles. More often than not, UD has prevailed. The boys played bad last night, but I presume that they'll make a lot of noise starting next week.
Posted via Mobile Device
I hear you but last night was different. Way different.
Mad Props to RamodWaleskowski For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDTradition (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 05:37 PM

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
Is RamodWaleskowski a Xavier troll?
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-11-2017), LIBob (03-11-2017), SLUFLYER (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 05:50 PM
Major

UDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant future
Yes ---- but he makes sense.

Whatever he did for preparation for the last 2 games...did not work. Do something else that you think is better.

Message to Archie...try a different approach for what could be the last game for the most successful seniors (at least statistically) in UD History.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:54 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDTradition View Post
Yes ---- but he makes sense.

Whatever he did for preparation for the last 2 games...did not work. Do something else that you think is better.

Message to Archie...try a different approach for what could be the last game for the most successful seniors (at least statistically) in UD History.
One thing he can do is make the A10 6th man of the year, the 6th man again.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-11-2017), CT Flyer (03-11-2017), RamodWaleskowski (03-11-2017), UDTradition (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 07:04 PM
Lieutenant General

C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
So you're telling me Archies substitution patterns worked better with Darrell starting. I think you're 100% on the money.

I just hope Darrell can get through concussion protocol.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-11-2017), Smitty10 (03-11-2017), UDTradition (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 07:17 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,033 Times in 2,682 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't question Archie much these days, but I have to agree with you there, Smitty. The 6th man on most teams is supposed to provide a burst of energy and intensity, and either "instant offense" or "instant defense". Of all the guys on this team, Kyle is easily one of the most intense and energetic. He's ideally suited for the 6th Man role.

I just hope Baby D is healthy enough to allow there to be a choice next week.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Smitty10 (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 07:20 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by C-time View Post
So you're telling me Archies substitution patterns worked better with Darrell starting. I think you're 100% on the money.

I just hope Darrell can get through concussion protocol.
I always said it helps get Darrell into the flow of the game better. Maybe that includes not ramming his head into those big ugly screens.

Though after his first screen ramming, he played one of the best games of his career, can you imagine how great he's going to be after the 2nd one?
Old 03-11-2017, 07:27 PM
Major

Kyle must be on the court when their guard is lights out. He must be on the court when a turnover is necessary.

When the flow of offense is stagnant, when scoring is required...Darrel is the guy.
Mad Props to UDTradition For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-12-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 07:28 PM
General

Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
I don't question Archie much these days, but I have to agree with you there, Smitty. The 6th man on most teams is supposed to provide a burst of energy and intensity, and either "instant offense" or "instant defense". Of all the guys on this team, Kyle is easily one of the most intense and energetic. He's ideally suited for the 6th Man role.

I just hope Baby D is healthy enough to allow there to be a choice next week.
Posted via Mobile Device
T-Bone, I've got several theories on why this works better. One is during the first minutes of the game, everybody is all wound up and nervous and we don't get much scoring as everyone is getting their game feel. Why then waste your best defensive player during this time when the first few minutes of a game is kind of a defense in itself. Then Baby D has become quite a pesky defender and it's got to be a shock for the player he's guarding to see him go to the bench only to have someone peskier on him.

Also KD's leadership might be needed more for the subs. Also, getting Baby D early 3 attempts helps him zero in. Also the main point is it gets him into the flow of the game with all the other players trying to get a game feel at the same time.

And last but not least, the more tired the opponents are the better a fresher KD is on defense. Having him fresh at the end of games is much more important then having him out there in the beginning.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:15 PM
Lieutenant General

Here's my theory Smitty10

Starters: Scoochie, Darrell, Cooke, Xman, and KP

1st Subs are usually KD for Darrell, Mikesell for Xman

By playing KD at the same time as Mikesell you counteract Mikesell's poor defense/lacking toughness compared to Xman with KD's defense/toughness. When KD starts Archie is bringing in Darrell at the same time as Mikesell and you are playing two guys who are more vulnerable/softer than KD and X.

While Kyle and Xman are the correct players to play together in crunch time together I think that by starting Darrell & Xman and then subbing with Kyle & Mikesell it creates a more balanced lineup throughout the course of the game. I also think it helps get Darrell into the game and the offense flows better at the start because the opponent must defend him which creates better floor spacing overall
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-12-2017), UDTradition (03-12-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 08:44 PM
General

Originally Posted by C-time View Post
Here's my theory Smitty10

Starters: Scoochie, Darrell, Cooke, Xman, and KP

1st Subs are usually KD for Darrell, Mikesell for Xman

By playing KD at the same time as Mikesell you counteract Mikesell's poor defense/lacking toughness compared to Xman with KD's defense/toughness. When KD starts Archie is bringing in Darrell at the same time as Mikesell and you are playing two guys who are more vulnerable/softer than KD and X.

While Kyle and Xman are the correct players to play together in crunch time together I think that by starting Darrell & Xman and then subbing with Kyle & Mikesell it creates a more balanced lineup throughout the course of the game. I also think it helps get Darrell into the game and the offense flows better at the start because the opponent must defend him which creates better floor spacing overall
When you get good Darrell out there starting, you have 4 three point threats(DD, SS, CC and XW) and you have 4 threats to take it directly to the hoop(SS, CC, XW and KP). And let's face it, Baby D is not chopped liver anymore when it comes to defense. He's become a very good player this season and things are looking up for our only senior next season.

The one problem(though I think it's actually a quality) with KD, is he doesn't look to score in the half court. He is the type that prefers others do it but will take it into his own hands when he thinks it's necessary later in the game. So again, DD certainly helps keep the defense more honest early in the game.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDTradition (03-12-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 09:43 PM

Thanked 10,168 Times in 5,896 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Someone correct me if my memory is wrong, but in the half court offense Kyle rarely penetrates and/or makes the great pass. His 2.7 assists per game are less than the much maligned Cooke. Kyle rarely shoots, so what does he add to the half court offense?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-12-2017), UDTradition (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 01:22 AM
General

Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
Someone correct me if my memory is wrong, but in the half court offense Kyle rarely penetrates and/or makes the great pass. His 2.7 assists per game are less than the much maligned Cooke. Kyle rarely shoots, so what does he add to the half court offense?
If it's a zone defense, he's probably useless on offense out there. But other than Scoochie, he's our best ball handler in the half court. He's so quick we never get trapped because he's always there to bail Scooch out when they try. And when they are passing the ball well, which is what made their offense run so well until Cooke showed up, he's as good at receiving it and getting rid of it as anyone else. And you can argue with me until the cows come home but if you watch 2013-2015 you'll see that making passes until they find a good shot and keep passing until they find a great shot was what made this offense so good. Now, focus your eyes on Cooke and watch how somewhere during those sequences, he gets the ball, and holds it for a couple seconds, to make a couple juke steps and decide to either step back and shoot or drive in. It allows the defense to catch up.

I personally think this team would be better off passing until they find the great shot(we've seen it sporadically) and let the shot clock run out doing so instead of Kendall, Charles or Crosby throwing up prayers that might go in 5 percent of the time. I understand that cuts you out of the offensive rebound but that's a part of the game that's been pretty non-existent for this team this season and at least allows us to get back on defense.

Last edited by Smitty10; 03-12-2017 at 01:24 AM..
UDTradition (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 09:50 AM
Captain

Windy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud of
In the half court offense, DD actually moves the ball quite well. At times Cooke, tries to freelance a little too much. The ball stalls and we take a bad shot.
Against VCU that didn't happen and Cooke got great looks from the outside.
I think that's where some of SS frustration lies at times. SS is a PG first scorer second. If you think about it, in the half court DD does hit key 3's. This comes from ball movement and the shots are taken in the rhythm. of the offense.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Windy City Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jeff (03-12-2017), UDTradition (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 12:55 PM
Major

Did anyone else panic when we needed 3 point shots and KD and KP were standing undefended outside of the 3 point line showing no desire for the ball? I cringed...who's going to score?
Old 03-12-2017, 01:02 PM
Major

BTW - IMO this is a great thread with excellent observations. No wining. Making critical points using substantiated justification. It's clear that a lot of the posters understand the game well. I hope Archie is reading and taking notes. (I am not being sarcastic in the least)

Thanks

Last edited by UDTradition; 03-12-2017 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: add point
Mad Props to UDTradition For This Totally Excellent Post:
RamodWaleskowski (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 01:05 PM
General

Did anyone else panic when we needed 3 point shots and KD and KP were standing undefended outside of the 3 point line showing no desire for the ball? I cringed...who's going to score?
Well, I'm not sure I remember the exact situation you're referring to, but if we need a 3 pointer badly, and KD is open for it, I have no problem with him taking the shot. He's pretty clutch at times.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
SLUFLYER (03-12-2017), Townie (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 01:45 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
BTW - IMO this is a great thread with excellent observations. No wining. Making critical points using substantiated justification. It's clear that a lot of the posters understand the game well. I hope Archie is reading and taking notes. (I am not being sarcastic in the least)

Thanks
I understand the game pretty well. Played at a pretty high level and have coached as well.

I for one hope that our multi-million dollar/year head coach IS NOT reading any such board and allowing any comments or peanut gallery suggestions to influence ANYTHING he does as it relates to strategy, rotations, playing time, shot selections, uniform colors or travel itinerary.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
Townie (03-12-2017), UD62 (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 01:47 PM
Brigadier General

SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Well, I'm not sure I remember the exact situation you're referring to, but if we need a 3 pointer badly, and KD is open for it, I have no problem with him taking the shot. He's pretty clutch at times.
Agree. He's proven to be a decent shooter. Just didn't stroke it very well against Davidson.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:49 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,701 Times in 1,284 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
My most concerning? I said at the time in the arena and have repeated it many times since:

When Josh Cunningham entered the Davidson game for the first time, he strolled onto the court and yawned...yes yawned...TWICE. It was a "holy sh**" moment for me at the time and after seeing it again watching the replay I still can't believe it. We all know that JC's ankle cannot possibly be 100%, but to sleepwalk through warmups, then yawn when entering the game and your team is getting it's lunch handed to it...that's a problem.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:58 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,462 Times in 1,288 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SLUFLYER View Post
I understand the game pretty well. Played at a pretty high level and have coached as well.

I for one hope that our multi-million dollar/year head coach IS NOT reading any such board and allowing any comments or peanut gallery suggestions to influence ANYTHING he does as it relates to strategy, rotations, playing time, shot selections, uniform colors or travel itinerary.
Agree 100% Nothing like a couple of losses to being out the armchair experts. UD could save a lot of $$ by just having the experts post and hire a student to take notes and read the notes to the players. Most of the time they can't even agree among themselves.They may be well meaning but have zero impact on AM, except possibly for comic relief.
Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
TerryK_67 (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 02:10 PM
General

Originally Posted by Radar View Post
My most concerning? I said at the time in the arena and have repeated it many times since:

When Josh Cunningham entered the Davidson game for the first time, he strolled onto the court and yawned...yes yawned...TWICE. It was a "holy sh**" moment for me at the time and after seeing it again watching the replay I still can't believe it. We all know that JC's ankle cannot possibly be 100%, but to sleepwalk through warmups, then yawn when entering the game and your team is getting it's lunch handed to it...that's a problem.
Nothing to see here. Lot's of athletes yawn on purpose for a variety of theories. http://www.naturalathleteclinic.com/...etes-who-yawn/
SLUFLYER (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 02:36 PM
Major

Wink

I'm glad you had a opportunity to show off your resume. Very impressive indeed.

Actually, yours is the first post that does not justify your opinion with some substance. It pretty much pats yourself then just discounts every idea offered on this board. I guess you know more than anyone else who has offered commentary? If you do...please post more often.

On a less sarcastic note: I simply don't agree with you. IMO - In my world, I don't reward for ideas.

It is not coming up with the idea that adds true value it is watching and listening and then having the genius to grabbing great ideas from others, actualize the objective then maintain the gain.

Listening is one thing...following is another thing. Like yourself, I have operated at a pretty high level in life. (sarcasm) One of my learning's (not sarcasm)...is listen to everyone...there really are gems mixed in with the ranting and ravings of others who care enough to offer ideas and help.

I just realized something.....eureka.....we are the customers (very very engaged and loyal customers I might add). Is it not a wise man who listens to their customers? (i'm sure Confucius said this...)
Old 03-12-2017, 02:46 PM
Brigadier General

I'm glad you had a opportunity to show off your resume. Very impressive indeed.

Actually, yours is the first post that does not justify your opinion with some substance. It pretty much pats yourself then just discounts every idea offered on this board. I guess you know more than anyone else who has offered commentary? If you do...please post more often.

On a less sarcastic note: I simply don't agree with you. IMO - In my world, I don't reward for ideas.

It is not coming up with the idea that adds true value it is watching and listening and then having the genius to grabbing great ideas from others, actualize the objective then maintain the gain.

Listening is one thing...following is another thing. Like yourself, I have operated at a pretty high level in life. (sarcasm) One of my learning's (not sarcasm)...is listen to everyone...there really are gems mixed in with the ranting and ravings of others who care enough to offer ideas and help.

I just realized something.....eureka.....we are the customers (very very engaged and loyal customers I might add). Is it not a wise man who listens to their customers? (i'm sure Confucius said this...)
I am not suggesting Archie doens't listen or shouldn't listen to others. The mark of a good leader is one who is willing to explore other's ideas and is open to them.

I AM suggesting that IF Archie is following this board and taking notes, or any coach at any school for that matter, then said institution's basketball program IS in BIG TROUBLE.

I didn't pat myself on the back and felt no need to include any kind of resume material. That wasn't the point, which you clearly missed.

The point was that just because I have a decent understanding of the game, and a qualified opinion, doesn't mean Archie should be giving it or anyone else's on this board any credence.
Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDTradition (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 03:05 PM
Colonel

Awesome - so why did you post the comment below on the Davidson thread on Friday????

03-10-2017, 12:44 PM
SLUFLYER

ARCHIE - Please go full court pressure now. It works. We have the depth to do it.

Don't wait until 2:30 left in the game down 10
Old 03-12-2017, 03:40 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by 312to937 View Post
Awesome - so why did you post the comment below on the Davidson thread on Friday????

03-10-2017, 12:44 PM
SLUFLYER

ARCHIE - Please go full court pressure now. It works. We have the depth to do it.

Don't wait until 2:30 left in the game down 10
Because that's the appropriate place to comment during a game. Nowhere do I post that Archie (or staff) should take notes.

Posting that in an in game thread is the same as "I hope Archie goes to full court pressure a lot sooner than he traditionally has."

Just because I don't agree with everything that Archie does all of the time, does not suggest that he should listen to me or any other poster on this board. Archie soliciting information from me on in game adjustments would be the equivalent of me asking him on how best to transition a $100 million manufacting company to a cloud solution or to design a disaster recovery solution to meet the desired RTO and RPO objectives.
Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (03-13-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 03:42 PM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
ooh ooh looks like a game of bullsh!t bingo......
let er rip!
Old 03-12-2017, 04:04 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,388 Times in 620 Posts
AC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond repute

that is really looking for an issue. this is a non issue. when i used to compete at anything, i would yawn uncontrollably. adrenaline is flowing and it is sometimes the boy's way to get more oxygen. watch track and field, swimming, etc. you see people yawning all the time just before getting itot the blocks.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:21 PM
Major

It's widely known that Barry Sanders at times SLEPT on the bench during games while playing for the Lions. A yawn isn't an indictment of play or character.