User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 04-13-2020, 12:15 PM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,927 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Jacob Toppin to transfer

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops

Obi Toppin’s younger brother, Jacob Toppin, has decided to transfer from URI, source told
@Stadium. Averaged 5.1 points and 3.9 boards this past season.

Last edited by Swampy Meadows; 04-13-2020 at 12:17 PM..
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (04-13-2020), LI2UD2PA (04-13-2020), NYCFLYER (04-14-2020), steverino015 (04-13-2020)
Advertisement
Old 04-13-2020, 12:18 PM
1st Lieutenant

Mr_Sweets is a name known to allMr_Sweets is a name known to allMr_Sweets is a name known to allMr_Sweets is a name known to allMr_Sweets is a name known to allMr_Sweets is a name known to all
Toooooo Dayton? haha

Not a good look for RI.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:20 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,357 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Yup....just heard it too. GO FLYERS.

He and Obi have been doing gym-time daily while at home.

And I thought beating WI in the fan bracket was the big news of the day.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (04-14-2020), Lifelong Flyer Fan (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 12:33 PM
1st Lieutenant

bp is a splendid one to beholdbp is a splendid one to beholdbp is a splendid one to beholdbp is a splendid one to beholdbp is a splendid one to beholdbp is a splendid one to beholdbp is a splendid one to behold
Is there a rule about transferring within the A10? I thought Andres Sandoval had to spend a year at a community college before coming to Dayton (from Richmond).
Old 04-13-2020, 12:37 PM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
This is like Deja Vu, all over again.

Yes there used to be a rule, the rule has been abolished.

I fully support Jacob coming to UD; while its unfair to think he can become as good as his brother, I think he could be a beast, especially with a year to sit and develop.

I'm sure the competition will be much stiffer than when Jacob was coming out of HS and he choose Rhody over UD and others. I'm guessing a lot of P5 schools get involved hoping there is something magic in those genes.

Good luck anywhere you go, but choose UD please
Old 04-13-2020, 12:45 PM
Captain

Sticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
Good luck anywhere you go, but choose UD please
We've got to think that UD is the frontrunner at this point, don't we? I mean, he had interest coming out of high school and the family already knows how well this staff meshed with Obi. This is going to be interesting.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:50 PM
General

Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think its going to be that easy.

Yes I'm sure CAG is interested, and I'm sure there have been conversations. But there are going to be a lot of P5 schools and coaches approaching Jacob and selling him on things that UD can't offer.

Whatever prevented him from signing with UD out of HS may still play a factor. If he didn't want to be in Obi's shadow (which may not have been the case), that shadow has only grown larger.

Still I'd take him in a NY minute.
Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (04-14-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 01:04 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think its going to be that easy.

Yes I'm sure CAG is interested, and I'm sure there have been conversations. But there are going to be a lot of P5 schools and coaches approaching Jacob and selling him on things that UD can't offer.

Whatever prevented him from signing with UD out of HS may still play a factor. If he didn't want to be in Obi's shadow (which may not have been the case), that shadow has only grown larger.

Still I'd take him in a NY minute.
Yes, other schools can offer him things that UD can’t (or won’t), but UD can offer him things that other schools can’t (or won’t). Things like a family atmosphere. Like 13,000 fans screaming support for you and your teammates at every home game. Like one of the Top 5 traveling fan bases in the country. Like a head coach who’s been involved with the development of 2 longtime NBA big men and a likely 2020 Lottery Pick.

A deciding factor will be, is he comfortable going to the same school where his brother became an All-American, or would he rather forge a new path? My answer: talk to Joey and Nick Bosa. My other answer: welcome to the family, Jacob (if you so wish).
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (04-14-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 01:08 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bp View Post
Is there a rule about transferring within the A10? I thought Andres Sandoval had to spend a year at a community college before coming to Dayton (from Richmond).
I have confirmed with an AD at another DI school this rule no longer exist.
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (04-13-2020), Bonziflyer (04-13-2020), Lifelong Flyer Fan (04-13-2020), OSU Flyer (04-13-2020), steverino015 (04-13-2020), TA111 (04-13-2020), Wallage (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 01:08 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,086 Times in 640 Posts
steverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond repute
Peeps, I know it was first posted here
as wishing, but I just had a feeling...

he wanted to wait until Obi went NBA,
and with others transfering, and Mama
watching games here and the crazy love
our fanbase has...

I was at least 80 percent sure jacob would:
transfer...
and then if done 90 percent sure it will be UD...

I didn't call it, but I had a very strong feeling...

Go Flyers!!
Old 04-13-2020, 01:11 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
UD did EVERYTHING right regarding Obi’s basketball development, guidance, education, becoming the man he is today, etc. Grant was a big piece of that puzzle as well as the rest of the coaching staff.

Roni will tell you that everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. “ Uncle Vic?” also plays a big part as well as their dad. I have to believe they are on-board with Dayton. No one else in the country can say that.

The goal for Jacob now is to get to the NBA. He doesn’t have to be the next Obi, but Obi has said he is further along at the same age. And then you lay in our positionless offense, which is awesome if you’re a dunker. Their dad, Obi and Jacob all fit that role.

I like our chances. Sure the P5+1 will come calling, but I just don’t see anyone who can compete with Grant & Co. in helping this young man reach his goals. I’ll also add, not getting to play the NCAAs this year with Final Four goals leaves some unfinished business. Jacob might want to come in and clean up that issue for his brother...just for bragging rights down the road.

I thought this might happen next year. So happy it’s a year early. I think we will know sooner rather than later.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 04-13-2020 at 01:14 PM..
Old 04-13-2020, 01:12 PM
Brigadier General

steverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
Yes, other schools can offer him things that UD can’t (or won’t), but UD can offer him things that other schools can’t (or won’t). Things like a family atmosphere. Like 13,000 fans screaming support for you and your teammates at every home game. Like one of the Top 5 traveling fan bases in the country. Like a head coach who’s been involved with the development of 2 longtime NBA big men and a likely 2020 Lottery Pick.

A deciding factor will be, is he comfortable going to the same school where his brother became an All-American, or would he rather forge a new path? My answer: talk to Joey and Nick Bosa. My other answer: welcome to the family, Jacob (if you so wish).
Posted via Mobile Device
my answer:
listen to your brother, who you are practicing with,
how did Coach Grant help him?
how is the fan base from a UD flyer point of view?

and listen to Mama....
and then come here, Jacob...

Go Flyers!
Old 04-13-2020, 01:15 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,559 Times in 2,452 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
I saw a tweet from a RI fan that said he saw it coming for quite a while. He heard Cox yell at his assistants during a game "I told you he was soft", talking about Jacob.

Edit: It was a GMU fan https://twitter.com/ByGeorgeGMU/stat...715664387?s=20

Last edited by Lifelong Flyer Fan; 04-13-2020 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: correction
Old 04-13-2020, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post
I saw a tweet from a RI fan that said he saw it coming for quite a while. He heard Cox yell at his assistants during a game "I told you he was soft", talking about Jacob.
It’s been exactly 1 week since Obi officially finished his career as a Flyer, having won his final POY award. I’m sure the timing of Jacob going into the transfer portal wasn’t by chance. One Toppin done. Hopefully the second Toppin coming. And personally, I hope he embraces Obi’s legacy here and wears #1. Own it.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:22 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
I'm guessing he'll end up at P5 school.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:24 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I think he could be valuable contributor here. I wonder if anything's changed from last spring on his thought process with UD
Old 04-13-2020, 01:27 PM
Captain

EliteEight has much to be proud ofEliteEight has much to be proud ofEliteEight has much to be proud ofEliteEight has much to be proud ofEliteEight has much to be proud ofEliteEight has much to be proud ofEliteEight has much to be proud ofEliteEight has much to be proud ofEliteEight has much to be proud of
He will have a list of suitors from P5 and everywhere in between. Not sure I love our chances, but I hope I eat crow.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:30 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,413 Times in 670 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
I'd love him to end up here, but I have a feeling he has access to advice from Obi's agent that might point him in a different direction. Or he may just want to take a shot at a power 5 school. Either way, I'm not as confident as I would've expected I would be.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:33 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Highly rated transfers out of the A10 is not good for Dayton.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:35 PM
Captain

shwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant future
Yeah, I'd be surprised if he ends up here.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:36 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyerfanatic86 View Post
I'd love him to end up here, but I have a feeling he has access to advice from Obi's agent that might point him in a different direction. Or he may just want to take a shot at a power 5 school. Either way, I'm not as confident as I would've expected I would be.
Yeah, these things rarely work out the way you want and anticipate them. Of course the idea that he might want to go a proven route with Grant is there.

So, stay tuned, is this situation going to be closer to Kenny May or John Paxson?
Old 04-13-2020, 01:41 PM
Captain

1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold
I’m with Medford on this one. Kostas was drafted by an NBA team based mostly on his last name. Jacob may see a similar opportunity to bounce to a P5.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-13-2020, 01:41 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 2,377 Times in 809 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
URI board seems to think he wants a P5/Big East school. I hope Dayton's in the mix, but Obi's meteoric rise has greased the skids ... yes, for Dayton, but also for some higer-profile upper-tier P5 programs. I'd be delighted but extremely surprised if he becomes a Flyer.

Side note: It also would be a little gauche for him to transfer to a rival A-10 team. It might look like he's rubbing David Cox's nose in the dirt. AG may not like the appearance of that.

Last edited by The Fly; 04-13-2020 at 01:47 PM..
Old 04-13-2020, 01:43 PM
Brigadier General

I'm not with any of the above posters on this one...

I say UD

Kostas is not a comparison in any way, shape or form...

that young man had NO interest in college, period..

Go Flyers!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to steverino015 For This Totally Excellent Post:
MikeFlyer (04-13-2020), tomann (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 01:46 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
URI board seems to think he wants a P5/Big East school. I hope Dayton's in the mix, but Obi's meteoric rise has greased the skids ... yes, for Dayton, but also for some higer-profile upper tier P5 programs. I'd be delighted but extremely surprised if he becomes a Flyer.
Again, him coming to Dayton along with becoming a star close to his brother is probably a pipe dream. However, if he goes to P5, he risks being lost in the shuffle of a coach who cares and spends more time with 4 star recruits and expects the cream to rise to the top rather than working the cream to the top. With Anthony Grant, he is bound to get the attention he needs. So I say there's a chance..
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 01:50 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
One would hope that if he doesn’t decide to transfer to UD that this board (and other UD fans) will be gracious about it. Probably asking too much from some I’m afraid...
Old 04-13-2020, 01:51 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,749 Times in 791 Posts
Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
The known of what UD offers and what it did for Obi can easily overcome the promise of what could be in P5.

If whatever kept him from coming here originally doesn’t do the same this time, I like our chances.

This though will likely not be a ‘no news is good news’ outcome.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-13-2020, 01:56 PM
General

Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
Side note: It also would be a little gauche for him to transfer to a rival A-10 team. It might look like he's rubbing David Cox's nose in the dirt. AG may not like the appearance of that.
Yep, that too crossed my mind. He leaves trying to preserve some goodwill by saying "Love you Rhody Nation". What's the point of that if he signs with Dayton? That's like saying "It's nothing personal" after shooting someone.
The Fly (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 01:57 PM
General

Originally Posted by springborofan View Post
One would hope that if he doesn’t decide to transfer to UD that this board (and other UD fans) will be gracious about it. Probably asking too much from some I’m afraid...
Agree, unless of course he signs with VCU or SLU.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
The Fly (04-13-2020), ud2 (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 01:57 PM
Captain

GoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I like that he will have a year to practise and maybe he will have the same growth spurt as obi.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:59 PM

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
or maybe not!

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but to me he seemed more like a role player than future star...which might be why he's transferring.

He wouldn't be the first athlete to try and capitalize on his (brother's) name.
jack72 (04-13-2020), Jeff (04-13-2020), TA111 (04-13-2020), wes (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 02:02 PM
General

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but to me he seemed more like a role player than future star...which might be why he's transferring.

Need I remind you that Kendall Pollard seemed like just a role player his freshman season?
ClaytonFlyerFan (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 02:05 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8491

URI board blowing up over Toppin transfer news. Obviously no "dirty word" filter! Interesting projections for his landing spot: Iona (?), Dayton, ACC schools.

I didn't realize how decimated this makes their roster. 3 transfers. 2 big graduations (Dowtin, Langevine). Fatts putting his name in draft (w/out agent...yet).
Old 04-13-2020, 02:11 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
A gentleman who has coached at the college level and has been around HS & college hoops for 25+ years said to me, "Dad, Jacob is really good with great hoop skills and is only 18".

We'll have to wait and see!!!!!

Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,865 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Jacob is a nice player, and will eventually start if he does not shoot too high in the Big 5, but he will not be Obi.

Grant is a straight shooter. He would make Jacob earn it, and I am sure Anthony would tell him that up front, while others may promise unreal stuff.

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Bite thy royal tongue!

Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
Need I remind you that Kendall Pollard seemed like just a role player his freshman season?
Old 04-13-2020, 02:16 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,569 Times in 939 Posts
IAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
the bigger question...

What the heck is happening at URI?
Old 04-13-2020, 02:19 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Disagree, I remember specifically saying that Kendall was very raw but that you could see the upside in him and that I couldn't wait to see him continue developing. In fact I don't think he actually ever reached the level I thought he might reach after I first saw him. Some nagging injuries probably didn't help.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
MikeFlyer (04-13-2020), rollo (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 02:24 PM
General

Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
Jacob is a nice player, and will eventually start if he does not shoot too high in the Big 5, but he will not be Obi.

Grant is a straight shooter. He would make Jacob earn it, and I am sure Anthony would tell him that up front, while others may promise unreal stuff.
I doubt AG would have to tell him. I'm sure his big brother has told him all he needs to know and that is no matter where he goes, especially if it's Dayton, he will have to work just as hard as Obi did to get where he wants to be.

Ken May wasn't Don May either, but without him, the Flyers would've looked pretty bad from 1968-1971.
Flyer 86 (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 02:29 PM
General

Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
Disagree, I remember specifically saying that Kendall was very raw but that you could see the upside in him and that I couldn't wait to see him continue developing. In fact I don't think he actually ever reached the level I thought he might reach after I first saw him. Some nagging injuries probably didn't help.
Fair enough, but you don't see the same upside in Jacob?
Sticks 'n Stearns (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 02:36 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,325 Times in 444 Posts
Runnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond repute
At the same age... not many people, outside of AG, saw the upside in Obi.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:37 PM

Thanked 1,080 Times in 676 Posts
udx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant future
Link to article:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ansfer-portal/

Got to wonder what a year off and 25 pounds would do for Jacob.
Mad Props to udx2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
TheDuke2003 (04-14-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 02:38 PM
Captain

AZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud of
I think a better comparison may be Devin Oliver. I don't think anyone thought Devin was a keeper during his freshman year. By the time he was a senior, he became one of my favorite Flyers ever. I think Jacob could improve in the same way.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to AZFlyer85 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (04-13-2020), Chris R (04-13-2020), CT Flyer (04-13-2020), CvilleFlyer (04-13-2020), Glen Clark (04-13-2020), IAFlyer (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 02:45 PM
General

Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
At the same age... not many people, outside of AG, saw the upside in Obi.
I was comparing to Kendall. My point was that most 18 year old freshmen look like role players because that's all they are at that point in time. Projecting Jacob filling out like Obi, having the proof in the pudding that if it's possible, AG can turn him into an NBA player, I personally see more upside in Jacob than I did with Kendall. And I thought Kendall had upside too. Though one thing's for sure, he will shoot FTs better than Kendall.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:53 PM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute

Obi was not highly recruited. Coach Grant got him here, built up his body, and created an offense in which he could thrive. I would love to see him come here. Furthermore, is it any coincidence that this transferring notion surfaced just when they were spending time together?
Old 04-13-2020, 02:56 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Yes I also see upside in Jacob, I was just commenting that I didn't think Kendall was just going to be a role player. I certainly think Jacob can be a double digit scorer for the rest of his career. Not sold that he will be as good as Obi, even if he is better at the same age, but definitely wouldn't mind him as a Flyer.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (04-13-2020), Smitty10 (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 02:59 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,510 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. He was a 5pt per game scorer and rarely stood out (other than getting dunked on by his brother). Much like Kostas, if not for his last name no one would really be talking about this.
I don’t see all these big name schools lining up at this point.
Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
longtimefan (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 03:00 PM
General

Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
Yes I also see upside in Jacob, I was just commenting that I didn't think Kendall was just going to be a role player. I certainly think Jacob can be a double digit scorer for the rest of his career. Not sold that he will be as good as Obi, even if he is better at the same age, but definitely wouldn't mind him as a Flyer.
lol, you have to understand, I used Kendall as an example because that is prince Rollo's favorite player.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (04-13-2020), CT Flyer (04-13-2020), rollo (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 03:01 PM
Major

flyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud of
If he didn't pick UD with his big brother there to mentor him for a year, why would he pick UD now?! I'm thinking Power 5 on this one.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by udx2 View Post
Link to article:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ansfer-portal/

Got to wonder what a year off and 25 pounds would do for Jacob.
It crossed my mind, since the brothers have been in the gym together for about 2 months, and I assume their dad and uncle Vic have been there with them at least occasionally, that they might have noticed Jacob’s not progressed strength-wise like Obi did at Dayton. I know nothing about URIs strength-conditioning, but I know UDs is outstanding across a lot of sports.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
CvilleFlyer (04-13-2020), OSU Flyer (04-13-2020), Runnin' Rebel (04-13-2020), udx2 (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 03:09 PM
General

Originally Posted by flyerfan4life View Post
If he didn't pick UD with his big brother there to mentor him for a year, why would he pick UD now?! I'm thinking Power 5 on this one.
Seems a normal path to me. Signing with college and wants to carve his own way and it's time to leave the nest and be away from big brother. Not only that, until this season, it wasn't on the radar that Dayton developed Obi into an NBA lottery pick. Now the data is in. One, he wants to maximize his potential and can't see it happening at RI and two, he sees it can happen at UD. And, the best part is, he can do it the same way his bother did, without another family member there.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:10 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
Why is he P5 now?
Did he turn down P5 a year ago?
Two other URI trans went to Old Dominion and Mass-Lowell
Lateral or downward moves.
Mad Props to Piqua Flyer '66 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 03:19 PM

Thanked 2,377 Times in 809 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
Don’t know if this info is reliable, but when he signed with Rhody he was said to have offers from St. John’s, Oklahoma State, Virginia Tech and Dayton, among several smaller schools.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:20 PM
General

He had P5 offers last years, VTech, St John's and one other were in his final 5 along with UD & Rhody.

Forget the stats, I see a young man with a bunch of athleticism that similar to his brother has undergone a significant growth spurt later than most players his age. There is a ton of potential there. He's likely not going to be as good as Obi, because Obi was/is really freakin' good. I like the Devin Oliver example, I see a kid how could produce on a similar level as Devin in time. Give him a year on the bench as redshirt transfer, hit the weights, improve the stroke and there is a ton of potential there.

Kendall was never a great shooter, nor a great ball handler, but the thing that separated him from the competition, besides an outstanding heart was at 6'-5" he could grab a rebound and take it full force the length of the court and finish strong at the rim. He was way faster than most of the 4s or 5s that were covering him and he took full advantage of that. He was also pretty crafty and strong on the blocks. I think that is why that 6.5 man team did so well, every player on the court could grab a rebound and turn into transition points faster than the opposition could recover. All of those kids could fly.

Would be a nice couple of weeks to get commitments from Brother Scooch and Brother Obi
Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
steverino015 (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 03:28 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Piqua Flyer '66 View Post
Why is he P5 now?
Did he turn down P5 a year ago?
Two other URI trans went to Old Dominion and Mass-Lowell
Lateral or downward moves.
Being Obi Toppin's brother carries a little more weight than it did 12 months ago.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:05 PM

Another factor could be team chemistry. Several posters have noted Fatts seemed to be more about himself than his team. With the mass exodus out of URI, It might have been more than Fatts. Then they ink the Mitchell twins. Their mom hasn’t exactly been all about the team. Jacob was the last to enter the portal. Probably a tough decision especially since his mom has always liked URI.

I’m sure during Obi’s first two seasons, Jacob spent time with the team. He knows the welcome he’d get from Jalen, Rodney, Dwayne, Ibi, etc. If you’re going to have to start over with learning to play with new teammates, he’s got better relationships with the returning Flyers than the guys coming into URI.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:08 PM
Brigadier General

have no idea why one would throw shade at
Obi's brother..

he decided to go to Rhode Island first,
so it would be great for him to come to UD...

either way, I don't see a single person here not
being gracious, but we cannot speak for others,
just for ourselves...

with that,
Jacob come to UD, bam!...)

Go Flyers!
Old 04-13-2020, 04:11 PM
Brigadier General

lol, you have to understand, I used Kendall as an example because that is prince Rollo's favorite player.
what did I miss??...)

when did Rollo lose his crown?

Go Flyers!!
Mad Props to steverino015 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 04:14 PM
Brigadier General

He had P5 offers last years, VTech, St John's and one other were in his final 5 along with UD & Rhody.

Forget the stats, I see a young man with a bunch of athleticism that similar to his brother has undergone a significant growth spurt later than most players his age. There is a ton of potential there. He's likely not going to be as good as Obi, because Obi was/is really freakin' good. I like the Devin Oliver example, I see a kid how could produce on a similar level as Devin in time. Give him a year on the bench as redshirt transfer, hit the weights, improve the stroke and there is a ton of potential there.

Kendall was never a great shooter, nor a great ball handler, but the thing that separated him from the competition, besides an outstanding heart was at 6'-5" he could grab a rebound and take it full force the length of the court and finish strong at the rim. He was way faster than most of the 4s or 5s that were covering him and he took full advantage of that. He was also pretty crafty and strong on the blocks. I think that is why that 6.5 man team did so well, every player on the court could grab a rebound and turn into transition points faster than the opposition could recover. All of those kids could fly.

Would be a nice couple of weeks to get commitments from Brother Scooch and Brother Obi
OMGosh!!
can you imagine that!..)

hadn't even thought of that, but holy heck!...)

post of the day, right here peeps IMO...

Go Flyers
Old 04-13-2020, 04:17 PM
General

Originally Posted by steverino015 View Post
what did I miss??...)

when did Rollo lose his crown?

Go Flyers!!
Rollo with a crown is the biggest example of fake news this country has ever fallen for.
rollo (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 04:18 PM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by m21eagle45 View Post
I have confirmed with an AD at another DI school this rule no longer exist.
Not good enough. You need to explain it five more times. The Internet overrides anything a coach says.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (04-13-2020), ClaytonFlyerFan (04-13-2020), m21eagle45 (04-13-2020), udflyerfan (04-13-2020), UDGutter2 (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 04:21 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,557 Times in 3,702 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
With the cost of officially licensed NCAA team apparel, this should be a no brainer for where his family wants him to go. They already have closets full!

We can dream, and ignore those (Rollo) who claim this kid will be nothing more than a roll player in future seasons.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (04-14-2020), rollo (04-13-2020), steverino015 (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 04:25 PM
Brigadier General

Rollo with a crown is the biggest example of fake news this country has ever fallen for.
durn!

I like King Rollo,
he's funny....

Go Flyers!
rollo (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 04:27 PM
General

Originally Posted by steverino015 View Post
durn!

I like King Rollo,
he's funny....

Go Flyers!
Exactly, he's not a King, he's a Joker. And at times a Jack... j/k
rollo (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
With the cost of officially licensed NCAA team apparel, this should be a no brainer for where his family wants him to go. They already have closets full!

We can dream, and ignore those (Rollo) who claim this kid will be nothing more than a roll player in future seasons.
You have to understand that King Rollo was the happiest person in Dayton the day Obi declared for the draft. If Obi had stayed at UD, Rollo’s kingdom was in serious jeopardy of being overthrown. It’s bad enough Grant is returning with hardware in tow.

Now this news about Jacob...no wonder he is trying to squash this before it builds up some steam...
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 04:41 PM
General

Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
You have to understand that King Rollo was the happiest person in Dayton the day Obi declared for the draft. If Obi had stayed at UD, Rollo’s kingdom was in serious jeopardy of being overthrown. It’s bad enough Grant is returning with hardware in tow.

Now this news about Jacob...no wonder he is trying to squash this before it builds up some steam...
Yep, heard he's been on the phone non-stop trying to convince NBA scouts that Jalen Crutcher should be a 2020 first round draft choice, for this very reason.
BeckysTXA (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 04:56 PM

THE King, YOUR King and the COUNTRY’s King is Royally flattered with the attention directed his way, regardless of it’s tone or content! There’s no such thing as bad PR! Ever!

King Rollo the Imitated...OUT!!
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (04-13-2020), steverino015 (04-13-2020), ud2 (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 05:01 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,764 Times in 929 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
He was just a roll player on a loaded URI roster and still managed to get minutes and be productive despite being a TRUE FRESHMAN.

He'd be welcomed with open arms from this Flyer fan.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jeff (04-13-2020), steverino015 (04-13-2020), UDGutter2 (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 05:08 PM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Red face

Be careful, TXA, you do not want to **** off the King!!!!!!!
Mad Props to TommyGola For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 05:11 PM
Major

Buster has much to be proud ofBuster has much to be proud ofBuster has much to be proud ofBuster has much to be proud ofBuster has much to be proud ofBuster has much to be proud ofBuster has much to be proud ofBuster has much to be proud of
If Jacob wanted to come to UD and be lil bro, he would have done it when he had a chance. If life was good at Rhody, he would stay there.
So, that leaves the fact that he looks at the situation at URI and has made a decision to transfer. One would believe that higher level P5 schools would be calling him now, and if he wants to follow Obi into the league he is going to go there. It is the best and safest route to get there.
Think about it, little brother wants to do more than big brother. (Yes, that is not possible when it comes to awards) but go to Kentucky or Duke, and you will be on a higher flight path... so to speak.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Buster View Post
If Jacob wanted to come to UD and be lil bro, he would have done it when he had a chance. If life was good at Rhody, he would stay there.
So, that leaves the fact that he looks at the situation at URI and has made a decision to transfer. One would believe that higher level P5 schools would be calling him now, and if he wants to follow Obi into the league he is going to go there. It is the best and safest route to get there.
Think about it, little brother wants to do more than big brother. (Yes, that is not possible when it comes to awards) but go to Kentucky or Duke, and you will be on a higher flight path... so to speak.
I’m not sure I believe this. He would get loads of press at UD. He got some press last year at URI because he was Obi’s brother. At the KY-Duke type schools, he’s a sophomore in programs full of great players in all classes.

If he’s looking to up his national profile, (which I think is behind development and court performance) Dayton would give him the best shot. I know SportsCenter Top 10 would be looking for more dunks to showcase. He could get all of the above at UD. I’m not sure he will get the same amount of press coverage at a P5+1 school.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
longtimefan (04-13-2020), UD62 (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by TommyGola View Post
Be careful, TXA, you do not want to **** off the King!!!!!!!
THE King will more likely abdicate his Golden Throne to udscott than question BeckysTXA. She is golden, untouchable and forever has my Royal Back! All Hail M’Lady TXA! The immortal Queen of Queens!

So let it be written! So let it be done!

King Rollo the Pharaoh...OUT!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by rollo; 04-13-2020 at 05:30 PM..
Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 05:28 PM
General

Again,there's a big difference in coming to UD and joining your big brother and transferring to UD to replace your big brother. When he made the decision to go to RI, nobody had any inkling of a Toppin going first round in the NBA. That has all changed and the fact is, Grant has proven he can be the coach to get it done. That wasn't proven when Jacob chose RI.

Not saying it's going to happen, but I'm pretty sure that UD has made itself a more attractive place to play for many since Obi set the world on fire, including maybe his "lil bro".
Old 04-13-2020, 05:32 PM

THE King will more likely abdicate his Golden Throne to udscott than question BeckysTXA. She is golden, untouchable and forever has my Royal Back! All Hail M’Lady TXA! The immortal Queen of Queens!

So let it be written! So let it be done!

King Rollo the Pharaoh...OUT!
Posted via Mobile Device
I was going to post not to worry, I was solidly in King Rollo’s corner. But I like his post better, so ignore that...
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 05:33 PM

Thanked 3,138 Times in 795 Posts
John C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond repute
A little over a year ago Jacob had his chance to go to UD but decided that another path would be better for him. Fast forward to today and he was come to the conclusion that he has made a mistake. He needs to answer a very simple question, "Do I take a chance again or do I go with what I know is a certainty." He knows what Dayton is. He knows that his brother loved his time there, became a much better player while there and is going to make a boatload of money after spending 3 years there. How does that compare to potentially playing at a bigger name school that will be almost a complete unknown. He has one more shot at making the right decision. I am a little prejudiced but it seems like a simple decision to make.
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to John C. For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (04-13-2020), CvilleFlyer (04-13-2020), JimBo (04-13-2020), Monster Man (04-13-2020), superfan99 (04-14-2020), TheDuke2003 (04-14-2020), udflyerfan (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 05:34 PM
General

Again,there's a big difference in coming to UD and joining your big brother and transferring to UD to replace your big brother. When he made the decision to go to RI, nobody had any inkling of a Toppin going first round in the NBA. That has all changed and the fact is, Grant has proven he can be the coach to get it done. That wasn't proven when Jacob chose RI.

Not saying it's going to happen, but I'm pretty sure that UD has made itself a more attractive place to play for many since Obi set the world on fire, including maybe his "lil bro".

That is simply not true. Jacob declared to Rhody last May. There were many people talking about Obi as a potential 1st round pick even last year, but definitely 1st round potential down the road. I think it was hyperbole at the time, but St Louis' Travis Ford complimented Obi during a matchup vs UD (May have been in Brooklyn) talking about he was a future lottery pick.

None of it was realized what this season was to come, but Obi as a 1st round pick wasn't a huge stretch this time last year. I think many of us on here though Obi would be gone after this year to the NBA, especially if he developed as much as he had in the year prior.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:48 PM
General

That is simply not true. Jacob declared to Rhody last May. There were many people talking about Obi as a potential 1st round pick even last year, but definitely 1st round potential down the road. I think it was hyperbole at the time, but St Louis' Travis Ford complimented Obi during a matchup vs UD (May have been in Brooklyn) talking about he was a future lottery pick.

None of it was realized what this season was to come, but Obi as a 1st round pick wasn't a huge stretch this time last year. I think many of us on here though Obi would be gone after this year to the NBA, especially if he developed as much as he had in the year prior.
Oh good lord, can you see the difference between last May and now? Yeah, a few speculated. Now it's come to fruition. Nobody, AND I MEAN NOBODY, figured Obi Toppin to dominated the talk of the college basketball world for two reasons. They didn't expect him to be the player of the year and they didn't think Dayton could generate that kind of publicity for a player. Yes, we all thought he had NBA potential, but the difference between last May and now is about the same as our social lives then and now. Point being, THINGS HAVE CHANGED.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:53 PM

Thanked 6,124 Times in 4,169 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8491

URI board blowing up over Toppin transfer news. Obviously no "dirty word" filter!
Yes, there is no foul language filter on that board, so it is anything goes in that respect, which is different.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:02 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,559 Times in 2,452 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hawkoooo View Post
He was just a roll player on a loaded URI roster and still managed to get minutes and be productive despite being a TRUE FRESHMAN.

He'd be welcomed with open arms from this Flyer fan.
He looks pretty good here. I know it's a highlights, but still

https://twitter.com/roni_toppin/stat...078602753?s=20
Old 04-13-2020, 06:32 PM
Brigadier General

maybe it isn't so much wanting to DO MORE than
big brother.... as much as

playing for the national Coach Of The Year,
the coach who taught and developed the
national Player Of The Year....

so, there's that... to be fair...

besides the best fan base in the US...

Go Flyers!
Old 04-13-2020, 06:34 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by John C. View Post
A little over a year ago Jacob had his chance to go to UD but decided that another path would be better for him. Fast forward to today and he was come to the conclusion that he has made a mistake. He needs to answer a very simple question, "Do I take a chance again or do I go with what I know is a certainty." He knows what Dayton is. He knows that his brother loved his time there, became a much better player while there and is going to make a boatload of money after spending 3 years there. How does that compare to potentially playing at a bigger name school that will be almost a complete unknown. He has one more shot at making the right decision. I am a little prejudiced but it seems like a simple decision to make.
John, you explained it much better
than I could....

I agree 100 percent...

Go Flyers!
John C. (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 06:37 PM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
So if Jacob does come to UD and Jalen returns do they go to CAG and ask to be roommates?
Mad Props to Ready Action For This Totally Excellent Post:
SC_Flyer (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 06:48 PM
Captain

GoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Jacob needs to develop. Go to some big p5 program like Duke or Kentucky. And he runs the risk of riding the bench if he doesn,'t have a growth spurt and does 'nt build his body big time. Dayton will give him play time while he develops.
Mad Props to GoFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by IAFlyer View Post
What the heck is happening at URI?
Rhode Island still hasn’t recovered from that 17-0 Flyer start when they visited UD.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:57 PM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
I think Jacob would be welcomed to UD in open arms by fans and staff.
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 07:05 PM
Major General

m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
I would put the chances of Jacob coming here at less than 10%.
Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 07:36 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,229 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Doesn't sound like UD is in his plans

"Toppin is at his parents home in Ossining, N.Y., and while the coach has had extensive conversations with the promising big man, he clearly is looking to play at a higher level."

https://www.providencejournal.com/sp...ransfer-portal
Old 04-13-2020, 07:39 PM
General

I would put the chances of Jacob coming here at less than 10%.
Can I ask why?

Let's say you could get odds on what school he will transfer to, and you got 20-1 on any that you picked. What school would be a better bet than UD?
Old 04-13-2020, 07:40 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,510 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NCkevi View Post

"Toppin is at his parents home in Ossining, N.Y., and while the coach has had extensive conversations with the promising big man, he clearly is looking to play at a higher level."

Well being ranked #3 in the country the Flyers are clearly at a “higher level”.
Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 07:44 PM
General

I don't see that quote in the article you linked to. Am I missing it or did you get it from somewhere else.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:48 PM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute

That is in the article, but it does not quote anyone. It appears to be the writer's opinion .
Old 04-13-2020, 08:17 PM
Major General

Can I ask why?

Let's say you could get odds on what school he will transfer to, and you got 20-1 on any that you picked. What school would be a better bet than UD?
Jacob and Obi both said he didn't want to follow in Obi's shadow when he picked URI the first time around. I really doubt that has changed. There are many times brothers choose to carve out their own path, and this is one.
Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Sea Bass (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 08:18 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
I’m not sure I believe this. He would get loads of press at UD. He got some press last year at URI because he was Obi’s brother. At the KY-Duke type schools, he’s a sophomore in programs full of great players in all classes.

If he’s looking to up his national profile, (which I think is behind development and court performance) Dayton would give him the best shot. I know SportsCenter Top 10 would be looking for more dunks to showcase. He could get all of the above at UD. I’m not sure he will get the same amount of press coverage at a P5+1 school.
I’m with you, Becky. At a P5 school (particularly a perennial Top 20 program), he’ll be no more than a cog in a machine, and if he doesn’t produce, he’ll have a 5-star come in as a “1-and-done” to take his place. But if he comes to UD, he’ll get the same nurturing that his brother got, with the same kind of support structure, and the likelihood that he’ll have a guaranteed spot in the rotation if he puts forth the necessary effort and plays within the system. For that reason, I like our chances, and I’ll welcome him with open arms, should he decide to come here.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (04-13-2020), Marysville Flyer (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 08:43 PM
(Formerly O'Side Flyer)

Brad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud of
While it would be great if he were to chose UD, he'd always be "Obi's little brother."

I could see where that wouldn't be appealing.
Mad Props to Brad S. For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 08:52 PM
Brigadier General

Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Jacob and Obi both said he didn't want to follow in Obi's shadow when he picked URI the first time around. I really doubt that has changed. There are many times brothers choose to carve out their own path, and this is one.
While I think it more unlikely than likely, there is a difference in being in Big Bro's shadow and following the same path consecutively. Jacob very well may not see that as a difference.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:56 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by O'side Flyer View Post
While it would be great if he were to chose UD, he'd always be "Obi's little brother."

I could see where that wouldn't be appealing.
If he gets anywhere close to Obi's output I think that goes away even at UD. I think he's going to initially get the "Obi's little brother" at nearly any school he goes to.

Well into his second year, I still thought JS's middle name was Sibert and his last name was 'The Ohio State Transfer'.
Mad Props to Marysville Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
superfan99 (04-14-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 09:02 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OCFlyer85 View Post
I think a better comparison may be Devin Oliver. I don't think anyone thought Devin was a keeper during his freshman year. By the time he was a senior, he became one of my favorite Flyers ever. I think Jacob could improve in the same way.
DO should have redshirted.....needed a year of weights. The fact that Gregory ran him out there for nearly 10 minutes a game either says something about him or the team.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:06 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Malachi Smith and Jacob Toppin in the same starting lineup at the University of Dayton would be interesting!
Old 04-13-2020, 09:11 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by John C. View Post
Sure, he could ask himself where he could go, have a coach develop him (like his brother) and put him in a system, that will give him a shot at the show. But, brothers being brothers, just don't typically follow each other. Just like the Watt's and Golics' of football, or the twin brothers at Duke.

Nevermind.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:22 PM

Thanked 6,124 Times in 4,169 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
I think getting rid of the transfer and sit out one year rule would be the end of college sports as we know it. I think to be fair, if the sit out rule is repealed, then coaches would have to be given more leeway to cut players if players are allowed to leave at any time without having to sit out. At that point, there would be little difference between college and the pro leagues, other than the pay.