Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-04-2016, 05:37 PM
Colonel

SC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud of
Lightbulb Mid-Conference POD Rankings

Disclaimer: If you aren't interested in PODS, then please ignore this post.

I went ahead and crunched the current Average POD RPIs, which appears to very much favor our Flyers. I found it interesting that the 6 teams with the hardest PODs also lost their first games of the season. We'll have to see how this plays out during conference play as I plan to update the data every so often.

Code:

2016-01-04  PODS
--------|----------------|---------------|
TEAM       Ave POD RPI     A-10 Standing
DUQ            76.6               8
LAS            93.2               8
GM            105.8               8 
SLU           107.2               8
UR            107.6               8
DAV           111.4               8 
VCU           112.8               1
GW            116.4               1  
SBU           117.2               1
URI           127.6               1
UM            129.6               1
FOR           132.0               8
SJU           155.6               1 
DAY           169.0               1  

Last edited by SC_Flyer; 02-01-2016 at 05:18 PM..
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SC_Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (01-05-2016), Alberto Strasse (01-05-2016), College B-Ball Fan (01-05-2016), Figgie123 (01-05-2016), Gazoo (01-05-2016), ruechalgrin (01-04-2016), San Diego Flyer (01-05-2016)
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2016, 06:07 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,503 Times in 4,705 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know the numbers, but it felt like our OOC average was better than 169. We did well there. Shows we can do well against teams around that average. Like it or not, we simply have to win most of them, so it might as well be a tough pod and help us out.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:27 PM

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
The A-10 needs to rethink scheduling. Weak schedule in- conference hurts Dayton for NCAA selection and seed.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:38 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,956 Times in 534 Posts
shapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
I don't know the numbers, but it felt like our OOC average was better than 169. We did well there. Shows we can do well against teams around that average. Like it or not, we simply have to win most of them, so it might as well be a tough pod and help us out.
SC_Flyer, correct me if I am wrong, but I think the data refers to the RPI of the teams that UD plays twice in the A10, not its non-con schedule. I think the 169.0 refers to the avg RPI of Duquesne, La Salle, Rhody, St. Bona, and Saint Louis.

Having an Pod with this poor of an RPI is not good for UD. Not enough chances for good wins and too many chances for bad losses.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shapanud For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (01-05-2016), Flyer 86 (01-04-2016), Whacker (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 07:18 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,043 Times in 451 Posts
Whacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond repute
They appear to be trying to keep PODS regional. Dayton just got the wrong Philly team.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:50 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
One reason we have the easiest pod is because Dayton does not have to play Dayton.
10 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
1903 Flyer (01-04-2016), AC91 (01-05-2016), ClaytonFlyerFan (01-04-2016), DGO67 (01-05-2016), Figgie123 (01-05-2016), Fudd (01-04-2016), Glen Clark (01-04-2016), NorthwestFlyer (01-04-2016), ohioflyer (02-01-2016), TrueTeam (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 08:59 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,587 Times in 3,712 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SC_Flyer View Post
Disclaimer: If you aren't interested in PODS, then please ignore this post.

I went ahead and crunched the current Average POD RPIs, which appears to very much favor our Flyers.

Good research.

I personally think this is the worse position for Dayton to be in. If you want to be the best, be prepared and ready for the post season, you need to be playing and beating the best teams, not the worse teams, multiple times.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:00 PM
Colonel

SC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by shapanud View Post
SC_Flyer, correct me if I am wrong, but I think the data refers to the RPI of the teams that UD plays twice in the A10, not its non-con schedule. I think the 169.0 refers to the avg RPI of Duquesne, La Salle, Rhody, St. Bona, and Saint Louis.
Yes, the Average RPI is just the average of the teams in one's POD. I think SD Flyer's comments were applying a bit of a transitive property and trying to point out that our OOC schedule was likely tougher than our POD and so we should be OK.

Personally, I would rather see our POD rank be somewhere in the bottom third tier, but preferably not the very bottom.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:32 PM
General

Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,408 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks SC flyer for crunching the numbers. Do these RPI represent the average for the entire A10 schedule or just the teams we play twice?

I agree with other posters that having the easiest schedule is not necessarily the best schedule. Having said that, if all goes well, we will have a chance for a couple of quality wins during the A10 tournament.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:40 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,859 Times in 720 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
It's just bad luck that UD gets the two worst RPI teams this year, and doesn't get to face the best RPI-wise even once.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:08 PM
Major

podcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant future
With our Pods RPI this low - what is the magic number of Conference wins to get an at large?

My guess would be 13 wins - which would put us at 23 - 7 going to the post season tourn to be considered on the good side of the bubble. 14 Wins (24 - 6) puts us safely in. But that is really putting the cart before the horse - but still I think the weak pod last year hurt and could hurt us again this year.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:15 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,765 Times in 1,132 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by podcast411 View Post
With our Pods RPI this low - what is the magic number of Conference wins to get an at large?

My guess would be 13 wins - which would put us at 23 - 7 going to the post season tourn to be considered on the good side of the bubble. 14 Wins (24 - 6) puts us safely in. But that is really putting the cart before the horse - but still I think the weak pod last year hurt and could hurt us again this year.
The difference between our non con success this year vs ,sat year is night and day. 12-6 securely gets UD in as long as there isn't a complete meltdown in the A10 tournament.
Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
NorthwestFlyer (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 12:48 AM
Captain

224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute
Am I the only one that thinks this is good?

For once we are in the drivers seat headed into conference play. We don't need to prove anything by playing GW, DAV, RICH twice. We have already proven enough. Just don't choke. If we were 8-5 or 9-4 at this point I would wish we were in a tougher POD; but we aren't.

Since we had such a tough OOC schedule and our RPI is so high, playing the easier teams won't crush our RPI but *should* allow us to compile more conference wins and better position us for a higher NCAA seed. From a SOS standpoint, we have already played tough games so some easy games won't kill us.

The selection committee will reward us for our wins in OOC play vs Iowa, Bama, Arkansas, Monmouth and Vandy, along with a strong conference record. Not punish us for playing DUQ, LaSalle and SLU twice.

Selection committee will look at our cumulative RPI and conference record. Not conference POD RPI.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to 224 For This Totally Excellent Post:
fuz_forward (01-05-2016), jack72 (01-05-2016), San Diego Flyer (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 04:08 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

keats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond repute
I agree, before we strive to have the best SOS impacted by our pod, we need to ensure we have separated in the league standings. It does no good to have a good pod, but be at 50% in league play. We HAVE to be in top 3~4 of standings. And then the SOS becomes important.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-05-2016, 07:47 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,388 Times in 620 Posts
AC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond repute
Lasalle 282
St Louis 255

That's it. right there. And UD will likely be stuck with the post-Majerus, killed-by-Crews SLU as long as both schools are in the A10.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to AC91 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (01-05-2016), flyerfanatic86 (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 08:44 AM
General

Thanked 5,455 Times in 2,384 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
With all the data that gets crunched, I personally doubt the selection committee takes the time to full digest the concept of our pod. It will fall out in SOS and "bad losses" but I really doubt they're going to say "UD got lucky because when their schedule gave them a short turnaround it was for LaSalle and St. Louis (which were gimmies) instead of Davidson and GW."

Possible? Sure. It might even be said out loud in the room. But they've already got their minds made up based on other factors by that point IMO.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 08:57 AM
Colonel

Originally Posted by frisco flyer View Post
Thanks SC flyer for crunching the numbers. Do these RPI represent the average for the entire A10 schedule or just the teams we play twice?
Yes, the Average RPI shown in the table is just the average of the teams in one's POD, not any of the rest. It simply shows a relative strength of each team's POD compared to the rest. I have crunched similar numbers in years past when Dayton actually had one of the toughest PODs for a couple of years.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:59 AM

Thanked 15,912 Times in 6,995 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
*unlike the King, some people will never be happy

When our pod stinks, the want-it-alls complain how it's going to kill our NCAA seed or opportunities and needs to be changed so the best play the best and improve our SOS!

When our pod is good, the want-it-alls complain how it's going to kill our NCAA seed or opportunities and needs to be changed so the best play the worst to improve our A10 record.

I see a pattern here*.
AC91 (01-05-2016), bigudfan (01-05-2016), ClaytonFlyerFan (01-05-2016), Figgie123 (01-05-2016), IAFlyer (01-05-2016), jack72 (01-05-2016), Marysville Flyer (01-05-2016), San Diego Flyer (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 09:02 AM
Colonel

Originally Posted by 224 View Post
Am I the only one that thinks this is good?
I think it is a good thing too to be in the bottom third of this list, at least with our current record and SOS. As a comparison, here is the same table I generated at the end of February in 2014 when Dayton had the toughest POD:

Code:

2014-02-27
TEAM       Ave POD RPI     A-10 Standing
DAY            63.3               7
FOR            66.0              13
GM             69.3              10  
VCU            73.0               4
URI            74.3              12
SJU            80.0               2
DUQ            86.8              10
UR             92.0               5
LAS            94.5               9
SBU            95.8               8
UM            106.5               3
SLU           111.0               1
GW            114.8               5      
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SC_Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (01-05-2016), rollo (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 09:05 AM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Winning the A10 is the only thing that matters to me, so I prefer playing the weakest POD and taking our chances with the rest of the league.
IAFlyer (01-05-2016), SC_Flyer (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 09:06 AM
Colonel

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
When our pod stinks, the want-it-alls complain
As an admitted complainer in the past, I much prefer the way things are setting up this year. The conference schedule is always hard enough, embrace the easier POD and just get in the dance.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SC_Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
66flyer (01-05-2016), rollo (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 09:33 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,164 Times in 2,321 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Hey, SC_Flyer, can you add the average winning percentage of the pods in this list? Since the opponent's winning percentage is used for the 50% of RPI value, that might also help realize how good/bad these teams are going forward.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:18 AM

Thanked 10,503 Times in 4,705 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Winning the A10 is the only thing that matters to me, so I prefer playing the weakest POD and taking our chances with the rest of the league.
We have postured ourselves with a stellar ooc to simply rack up wins whomever they might be. We don't need a tough pod.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:03 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,563 Times in 944 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
A loss to one of our weak pod mates will cripple our RPI. Lasalle is 280th. St Louis is heading there. Can't afford any losses to them. I see us going 12-6 in conference.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-05-2016, 11:19 AM
General

Thanked 4,539 Times in 2,056 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by podcast411 View Post

The only game that matters right now is UMass - Wednesday at 8:00 PM.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:31 AM
Colonel

Per Figgie's request, this table adds the Average POD Win Percentage and sorts based on that column.

Code:

2016-01-05  PODS Sorted by Win Percentage
TEAM       Ave POD RPI      Ave POD Win%
LAS            93.2             73.6
DUQ            76.6             69.5
SBU           117.2             67.7
SLU           107.2             67.2
URI           127.6             66.7
UR            107.6             65.8
UM            129.6             65.3
DAV           111.4             64.7
GM            105.8             62.7
SJU           155.6             60.7
FOR           132.0             60.4
GW            116.4             60.3 
VCU           112.8             58.4
DAY           169.0             55.4 
Mad Props to SC_Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 12:13 PM
Captain

224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
A loss to one of our weak pod mates will cripple our RPI. Lasalle is 280th. St Louis is heading there. Can't afford any losses to them. I see us going 12-6 in conference.
Posted via Mobile Device
RPI Forecast predicts a 14-4 record in conference play, which would be good enough for a final RPI finish in the 19-24 range and a SOS of 55. Also 5-2 vs Top 50. I can't find data from 02-03, but this may be our best finish since that year (if not better) when we were a 4 seed.

In comparasion, last year we finished 32 in RPI with 113 SOS. Last year we were 1-3 vs top 50.

In 2013-14, we finished 42 RPI and 52 SOS. 4-6 vs Top 50.

A bad loss certainly won't be good, but 1 won't kill us.

Last edited by 224; 01-05-2016 at 12:19 PM..
Old 01-05-2016, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Glen Clark View Post
The only game that matters right now is UMass - Wednesday at 8:00 PM.
If you live in a vacuum that's true, but since the RPI factors in your opponents and opponent's opponents wins/losses, there are about 100 other games that matter, too.

But don't let that get in the way of another stupor.
BRob2Perryman3 (01-05-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 05:20 PM
Colonel

Updated Data

I went ahead and updated the data as we are about mid-conference play (title of the thread changed too, but I didn't want to start a new thread just for this).

Code:

2016-02-01  PODS Sorted by Ave POD RPI
TEAM       Ave POD RPI      Ave POD Win%
DUQ            73.8             65.9
SLU            76.2             66.1
GM             88.4             61.3
DAV            94.6             61.5
GW             95.4             58.5 
UR             98.6             60.9
LAS           101.4             65.3