User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 09-16-2019, 09:15 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,859 Times in 720 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
Sadly, the tournament field does not consist of anywhere near the 68 best teams. It's more like the 45 best, 12-14 deserving mid-majors, and 8-10 teams that don't belong in D1.
Mad Props to sheg For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (09-23-2019)
Advertisement
Old 09-16-2019, 10:14 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,288 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Viperstick View Post
We are flat out going to destroy a lot of teams this year.

This is just fuel for the fire
Agree, we are going to be a load. Understand the national rags not ranking us higher, based in all the unknowns, But we know we are big, deep and talented.

Last edited by UD62; 09-17-2019 at 10:06 AM..
Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (10-28-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 09:09 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyers98 View Post
I get that it is the offseason and people need stuff to talk about but that is literally all this is. I'll remind everyone that this same publication was only off by about 80 spots on our Flyers last year. They rarely even get the rosters/year/positions right and we think they are doing some in depth analysis of what this year holds for the SWAC?

Same goes with the preseason tourney field projections. I feel like those are actually worse though as the poster has to create some talking point or controversy for the content to be interesting. There will be a team in the top 10 preseason who won't be in the top 25 at the end of the year. There will be a team that is unranked preseason in the top 10 at the end of the year. Its just the way it is.
When the Flyers are touted as an NCAA tourney team, these magazines feature the greatest sports journalism known to man and the field predictors are the most knowledgeable sports minds in the universe. When the Flyers are not included, the magazines are filled with a bunch of hacks that know nothing and the tourney brackets are completed purely for creating "clicks."
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (10-21-2019), ud2 (09-17-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 12:29 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,367 Times in 537 Posts
MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
Kind of a nitpic, but trying to understand why they don't list Obi as a bold type "returning player"? They say as much in their narrative.

Obi is the main reason we are going to prove their NIT projection incorrect.
The bolded players are who they say our starting 5 was last season. In their defense all 5 of those guys started more games than Obi and averaged more minutes than Obi.

We all know the truth, but I can see how they came to that conclusion.
Mad Props to MNFats For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDDude (09-17-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 05:10 PM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
Come on folks, I have drank the blue Kool-aid, as well. But, these predictors have a point. You take a bunch of transfers from other teams where most of them under-performed and you expect them to heat up the world. They under-performed and that is why they were available for Dayton to recruit. Otherwise these teams would have made them more welcome where they were. Those sound like harsh words, don’t they? That is what the predictors are really thinking. But, they are too kind to Flyer fans to say it. They are giving Grant the benefit of the doubt. He can make these spare parts work. I love the taste of the blue Kool-aid and I am bought into the Grant hopefulness.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Buckleyma For This Totally Excellent Post:
Muckem333 (09-18-2019), ud2 (09-17-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 08:51 PM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
Upon second reading of this projection, I see two items:

1) Chase Johnson is assumed to be able to play at the start of the season. There is no eligibility clause connected to his name. I have not heard this fact officially. Has anyone else seen this fact officially announced and I missed it somewhere? If this is not true then our ranking could be lower?

2) This prediction is stating that the A10 will get only two teams into the NCAA. That would be VCU and Davidson. That means that the prediction is that A10 teams will not excel in their non-conference schedules.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-17-2019, 09:27 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 1,319 Times in 686 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Buckleyma View Post
Upon second reading of this projection, I see two items:

1) Chase Johnson is assumed to be able to play at the start of the season. There is no eligibility clause connected to his name. I have not heard this fact officially. Has anyone else seen this fact officially announced and I missed it somewhere? If this is not true then our ranking could be lower?

2) This prediction is stating that the A10 will get only two teams into the NCAA. That would be VCU and Davidson. That means that the prediction is that A10 teams will not excel in their non-conference schedules.
Posted via Mobile Device
No word on Johnson's eligibility yet.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:25 AM
General

Thanked 3,923 Times in 2,155 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
For all these projections by the various prognosticators nationally it seems to come down to how they value the transfers

If you think Ibi Watson is a role player off of the bench then UD is an NIT team. If you're a Jon Rothstein who I believe sees some real upside in the transfers than UD is a tourney team

If someone is only looking at UD distantly and just looking at stats and not doing a deep dive then a Chase Johnson, Ibi, etc might look like question marks
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Columbia Blue (09-19-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 11:35 AM
Colonel

Georgetown comes in at 47 or 6th in the Big East on this countdown.

I see two items of interest here:
1) given this prediction, if we were in the Big East as so many bloggers have suggested, then we would be picked 7th in that conference?
2) review of the Georgetown roster shows 12 players. 4 of the 12 are marked as CENTERS on this team. I guess that Patrick Ewing likes big guys on his team? Many teams have no players marked as Centers and here, they have four of them. Georgetown is definitely not planning to play “small” ball.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2019, 08:08 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,043 Times in 2,687 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Georgetown comes in at 47 or 6th in the Big East on this countdown.

I see two items of interest here:
1) given this prediction, if we were in the Big East as so many bloggers have suggested, then we would be picked 7th in that conference?
2) review of the Georgetown roster shows 12 players. 4 of the 12 are marked as CENTERS on this team. I guess that Patrick Ewing likes big guys on his team? Many teams have no players marked as Centers and here, they have four of them. Georgetown is definitely not planning to play “small” ball.
Posted via Mobile Device
Went to the Hoyas’ website, and they only list the 2 biggest guys as Centers. But they do have a couple of 6’9” Forwards named Mourning and Muresan, so there is some “traditional pivot” in the gene pool.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2019, 09:15 AM
Colonel

Harvard comes in at 44 on this countdown. I see Seth Towns from Columbus Northland was out injured last year. I see 19 names on this ranking sheet and 19 names on the Harvard men’s basketball roster page. They talk about depth? I am not sure how all of these players qualify to play or be on the roster. But, they are Harvard and they are smart and maybe they figured out a way?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2019, 11:03 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,012 Times in 500 Posts
Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
When the Flyers are touted as an NCAA tourney team, these magazines feature the greatest sports journalism known to man and the field predictors are the most knowledgeable sports minds in the universe. When the Flyers are not included, the magazines are filled with a bunch of hacks that know nothing and the tourney brackets are completed purely for creating "clicks."
So first of all this isn't even a print publication, it is a couple guys with a website who have supposedly evaluated every conference an apparently every team in college basketball to inform their opinions, which are always way off. None of these guys knows anything more than you or me and when it comes to UD, we almost certainly know may more, (like what year guys are in school and what position they play.)

The beauty of college basketball is that the games matter. It isn't like football where if you don't start in top 10, you have no chance to make the playoff unless people ahead of you lose. There may be teams that deserve to get in and get snubbed but generally, the teams that should be in the tourney are in the tourney and then it is all decided on the Court.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:13 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,012 Times in 500 Posts
Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
Come on folks, I have drank the blue Kool-aid, as well. But, these predictors have a point. You take a bunch of transfers from other teams where most of them under-performed and you expect them to heat up the world. They under-performed and that is why they were available for Dayton to recruit. Otherwise these teams would have made them more welcome where they were. Those sound like harsh words, don’t they? That is what the predictors are really thinking. But, they are too kind to Flyer fans to say it. They are giving Grant the benefit of the doubt. He can make these spare parts work. I love the taste of the blue Kool-aid and I am bought into the Grant hopefulness.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ibi Watson was an under performer, at Michigan just like Siebert was an under performer at OSU. Schools like that don't develop kids, they don't have to they just bring in the next 4/5 star. So we are betting on development and seeing what guys can do when they aren't being kept on the bench by the McDonalds All American in front of them. Worst case scenario, even if he doesn't develop like Siebert he is probably better than the kids we are generally able to get out of high school.
Mad Props to Flyers98 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (09-23-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 11:25 AM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Harvard comes in at 44 on this countdown. I see Seth Towns from Columbus Northland was out injured last year. I see 19 names on this ranking sheet and 19 names on the Harvard men’s basketball roster page. They talk about depth? I am not sure how all of these players qualify to play or be on the roster. But, they are Harvard and they are smart and maybe they figured out a way?
Posted via Mobile Device

Walk-ons. We had 17 on our roster last season.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:16 PM

Thanked 3,160 Times in 803 Posts
John C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond repute
Everybody is a walk-on at Harvard.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:53 PM
(Formerly O'Side Flyer)

Brad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by John C. View Post
I guess it depends on how you define walk-on. While the Ivy League doesn't offer scholarships, they do have recruited athletes.
Mad Props to Brad S. For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (09-24-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 06:43 AM
Colonel

John C: How does tuition work at Harvard? I understand that Harvard has so many well-heeled donors that every student slot is covered by a slotted donation. When a student is selected to attend the school; one of the allotted donation slots is provided. Therefore, basically everyone is on scholarship? Is that pretty close to the way it works?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2019, 08:50 AM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah sure. They may be technically non-scholarship but they are not walk-ons.
Even the scholarship thing is a joke.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:18 AM

Thanked 10,176 Times in 5,904 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
So does UD football work in a similar way?
Old 09-24-2019, 11:27 AM

Thanked 3,160 Times in 803 Posts
John C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond repute
You can call it what you want but there is no way a recruited athlete is not getting money at an Ivy League school, but technically they do not give out athletic scholarships.
Mad Props to John C. For This Totally Excellent Post:
SLUFLYER (09-27-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 12:13 PM
General

Thanked 3,923 Times in 2,155 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I think all the Ivy League schools are generous with need based financial aid
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2019, 12:34 PM

jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
These kids at Harvard also get a special sports wink from Admissions. They get a Harvard degree, whereas they normally might not get in.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jeff (10-22-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 01:08 PM
Colonel

312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
These kids at Harvard also get a special sports wink from Admissions. They get a Harvard degree, whereas they normally might not get in.
I don’t think the preferential admissions or academic eligibility “special sports wink” is unique to Harvard.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2019, 01:39 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by 312to937 View Post
I don’t think the preferential admissions or academic eligibility “special sports wink” is unique to Harvard.
Posted via Mobile Device
No but it is the pretending that they don't give out athletic scholarships that is pretty unique to the Ivies. There may be a few other schools/teams that the same holds true.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (09-24-2019)
Old 09-25-2019, 11:14 PM

Thanked 6,178 Times in 4,206 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Davidson #42, #2 A10...NCAAT projection

Top 6 scorers all returning.

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17820

Last edited by ud2; 09-25-2019 at 11:17 PM..
Old 09-27-2019, 11:52 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
No but it is the pretending that they don't give out athletic scholarships that is pretty unique to the Ivies. There may be a few other schools/teams that the same holds true.
My daughter was recruited for soccer at several Ivy League schools. Below are my conclusions, listed below as factual on my experience.

Fact 1 - they do not give athletic scholarships.
Fact 2 - athletes do get a slight "waiver" from an admittance standpoint. Not enough that they'll take a questionable student that'll be a fish out of water, but enough that it still doesn't hurt their aggregate or average entrance standards. Example - if you're a great athlete with a 31 on your ACT and 4.4GPA, Ivy League probably remains on the table. If you're a white male with a 31 ACT and 4.4GPA but can't walk and chew gum, you're probably not going Ivy League.
Fact 3 - MOST packages (scholarships, grants, etc.) remain based on Financial Aid and the family's ability to pay/not pay
Fact 4 - There are incentives and opportunities for minorities, particularly a female minority
Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDDude (10-11-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 03:45 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,230 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SLUFLYER View Post
My daughter was recruited for soccer at several Ivy League schools. Below are my conclusions, listed below as factual on my experience.

Fact 2 - athletes do get a slight "waiver" from an admittance standpoint. Not enough that they'll take a questionable student that'll be a fish out of water, but enough that it still doesn't hurt their aggregate or average entrance standards. Example - if you're a great athlete with a 31 on your ACT and 4.4GPA, Ivy League probably remains on the table. If you're a white male with a 31 ACT and 4.4GPA but can't walk and chew gum, you're probably not going Ivy League.
Fact 3 - MOST packages (scholarships, grants, etc.) remain based on Financial Aid and the family's ability to pay/not pay
Fact 4 - There are incentives and opportunities for minorities, particularly a female minority
FACT 5 - if you have below average scores and GPA but are a legacy you have a pretty good chance of being admitted over non-legacy apps with better scores and GPAs
Mad Props to NCkevi For This Totally Excellent Post:
SLUFLYER (10-16-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 05:54 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyers98 View Post
Ibi Watson was an under performer, at Michigan just like Siebert was an under performer at OSU. Schools like that don't develop kids, they don't have to they just bring in the next 4/5 star. So we are betting on development and seeing what guys can do when they aren't being kept on the bench by the McDonalds All American in front of them. Worst case scenario, even if he doesn't develop like Siebert he is probably better than the kids we are generally able to get out of high school.
That's not really true with Michigan. Beilein was one of the best in the business when it came to player development. He never signed a McDonalds All American, so it's quite different than Matta at OSU.
Mad Props to bcross For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (09-27-2019)
Old 09-28-2019, 07:39 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by SLUFLYER View Post

I appreciate that you have a perspective and actual knowledge that I do not have but if a highly regarded baketball recruit had the grades, ACT/SAT scores to get in even without his atheltic ability and the family has more than enough rescources to pay tuition, room and board, etc. are you saying that athelte would not receive any financial aid?
Old 09-28-2019, 08:24 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,459 Times in 777 Posts
Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
The player would likely still receive a scholarship. We have know a hockey player playing in the Ivy League currently. The player is academically solid (goal is to go to medical school) and is athletically talented (played at the top prep program in North America), and the family is of substantial means. The player received a scholarship in high school and receives one now.
Mad Props to Hyde Park Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (09-29-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 10:33 AM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
VCU #22, #1 A10

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17896
Old 10-15-2019, 12:10 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

FlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
VCU #22, #1 A10

Their taking our spot- not acceptable.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:32 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,767 Times in 1,133 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
VCU #22, #1 A10

That will be two quality wins!
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Columbia Blue (10-16-2019), Flyer 86 (10-19-2019), frisco flyer (10-15-2019), Glen Clark (10-15-2019), jack72 (10-15-2019), OSU Flyer (10-16-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 02:25 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
I appreciate that you have a perspective and actual knowledge that I do not have but if a highly regarded baketball recruit had the grades, ACT/SAT scores to get in even without his atheltic ability and the family has more than enough rescources to pay tuition, room and board, etc. are you saying that athelte would not receive any financial aid?
I'm not saying they wouldn't receive "any" financial aid. But it would be limited, and pale in comparison to the half scholarships and full rides these athletes would probably see from other D1 schools (setting aside sports that ONLY have full rides). For example, an athlete that has those kinds of academic achievements, they're going to qualify for probably close to half an academic scholarship at the start, meaning the coach only needs to give up half an athletic scholly for that kid to get a "full ride". Add in the fact that the cost of an Ivy League institution is greater than most other schools, and you're looking at a daunting figure for tuition, even with SOME aid.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:32 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Columbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond repute
VCU #22, #1 A10

This must motivate CAG, whose competitive fire burns below the surface. VCU, the program he largely put on the map in CAA is the perennial class of his new conference, the A10. Let's show we're better!
Old 10-17-2019, 01:29 PM

SMC #20, #2 WCC

They sound loaded. Jordan Ford 21 ppg last year.

Local connection...Logan Johnson, Sophomore, Guard, Transfer from Cincinnati, eligible?

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17902

With four starters returning, including leading scorer Jordan Ford, Saint Mary’s is in a great position to not only return to the NCAA Tournament, but compete with Gonzaga for a conference title and make a push towards the second weekend of the tournament. Ford is a great scorer and averaged 21.1 points per game last season. The 6-1 senior took 170 three-pointers and the same number of free-throws. He can do damage from anywhere on the floor and will certainly do so again in 2019-2020.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:31 PM
Colonel

Reminder: St. Mary’s at #20 will be our opponent on Sunday December 8 at a neutral site of Phoenix Arizona. This Dayton club can make some prestige credit by winning this game in our pursuit for a NCAA berth.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Buckleyma For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (10-21-2019)
Old 10-18-2019, 01:32 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,859 Times in 720 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
VCU has five seniors and five freshmen on this roster. They only lose one starter, and Mobley was probably the weakest link in their starting five. The underclass has potential and the freshmen are highly regarded, but they're likely to take at least a little step back in 20-21.

They should be great in 19-20 though, especially if Evans plays 100% of the minutes he should, and they'll be a near unanimous preseason favorite.

But I'm not conceding the season to them. Dayton was only one game and a handful of points behind them last year, and Dayton's roster improved a lot more than VCU's did, if even only 2 of the 4 transfers play to expectations and I expect all four to contribute if not star. There are reasons to expect dramatically better play out of the six returnees as well. Barring injuries, I put Dayton and VCU on equal footing to contend for the conference and both should be top 25 teams at some point this season, and hopefully both are at the end.

Add in Davidson, with two first team all conference selections (and for now the best coach in the league), and Rhode, and the conference race should be amazing this year with some seriously good hoops going on. Davidson appears to be a half step behind the top two, with Rhode a half step behind them.

Richmond and the Bonnies won't make things easy for the top four, and Duquesne and Saint Louie will be tough outs especially on the road. LaSalle and Mason are probably next in line and should not be a problem, but as soon as you think that is when they beat you. The bottom four of UMass, Fordham, GWU, and St. Joe's should be beaten by the likes of UD whatever the venue.
Mad Props to sheg For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (10-18-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 11:31 AM
Colonel

Utah State comes in at 16 on this countdown. I see four guys listed as Centers on this team at 6’10, 7’00, 7’00 and 7’2. I mention this factoid to debunk those bloggers who believe that basketball is leaning toward playing position-less small ball. Of the teams that we have seen on this countdown, so far, I would say that Georgetown, St. Mary’s and Utah State are the biggest teams reviewed.

Utah States’ 7’2” guy from Poland looks really skinny.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-21-2019, 11:17 PM
General of the Air Force

T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Utah State comes in at 16 on this countdown. I see four guys listed as Centers on this team at 6’10, 7’00, 7’00 and 7’2. I mention this factoid to debunk those bloggers who believe that basketball is leaning toward playing position-less small ball. Of the teams that we have seen on this countdown, so far, I would say that Georgetown, St. Mary’s and Utah State are the biggest teams reviewed.

Utah States’ 7’2” guy from Poland looks really skinny.
Posted via Mobile Device
Went to their site to check out the “trees” on their roster. I don’t believe either of the guys listed at 7’0” is really 7’0”. #0 is listed at 6’10”, and one of the 7’0” guys is standing right next to him, and appears to be the same height. Then, the other 7-footer is standing on the other side of the 7’2” guy, and he appears to be at least 3” shorter.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-22-2019, 09:07 AM
Colonel

Memphis comes in at number 15 on this countdown. Penny Hardaway, in his second year, has 9 (nine) freshman on this team, one senior and no juniors. I’ve always gone under the belief that the only good thing about a freshman is that eventually they become a sophomore but this bunch could break that rule. All of those freshman are big time highly ranked recruits. Wow, how can Memphis recruit like that? I have read that Mr. Hardaway was deeply imbedded in development programs and other basketball related activities giving him insight and exposure to top athletes. Of course, his NBA exposure doesn’t hurt. But still, no previous coaching experience to speak of (3 years in high school) and he recruits like this? Wow!

James Wiseman, the number 1 ranked freshman center at 7’1” is on this roster.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-22-2019, 03:20 PM
General

Thanked 2,341 Times in 1,412 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
Pretty sure this happens at Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, etc...
Old 10-23-2019, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Pretty sure this happens at Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, etc...
Pretty sure an Ivy degree opens doors that an etc. does not.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:56 AM
Colonel

Texas Tech comes in at number 14 and second in the Big 12. The coach has seven freshman on the team. The article says, “Chris Beard has his hands full with an almost entirely new roster, but he has earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to expectations for his team.”

Wow, incredulous, only two remaining players and ranked number 14?
Posted via Mobile Device
jack72 (10-23-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 04:03 PM
Colonel

Gonzaga comes in at number 9 on this 144 countdown. I see 6 foreign players on this team. This team seems similar to St. Mary’s which has 9 foreign players.
Posted via Mobile Device
Flyer 86 (10-28-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 05:58 PM
General of the Air Force

Texas Tech comes in at number 14 and second in the Big 12. The coach has seven freshman on the team. The article says, “Chris Beard has his hands full with an almost entirely new roster, but he has earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to expectations for his team.”

Wow, incredulous, only two remaining players and ranked number 14?
Posted via Mobile Device
I’m sure P5 Privilege has a lot to do with that “benefit of the doubt”.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-30-2019, 08:52 AM
Colonel

Louisville comes in at number 8 on this countdown and 4th in the ACC. That means that 4 of the top 8 teams are in the ACC. I see two grad transfer guards on the roster from the A10 on this roster, one from St. Joseph’s and one from Richmond. This factoid continues to reflect the strength of guards in the A10 that Louisville pulls guards from that conference. Again, Louisville is blessed with great recruits. I see the Dayton target Aidan Igiehon on this roster.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-02-2019, 09:31 AM
Colonel

Kansas comes in at #4. Kansas is a potential opponent at the Hawaii invitational on 11/27. It appears that their two guards and center are NBA potential players and then they will fill-in two highly recruited guys to play forwards. We would be playing basically an NBA team on the court.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-02-2019, 11:50 AM
General of the Air Force

Kansas comes in at #4. Kansas is a potential opponent at the Hawaii invitational on 11/27. It appears that their two guards and center are NBA potential players and then they will fill-in two highly recruited guys to play forwards. We would be playing basically an NBA team on the court.
Posted via Mobile Device
A challenge to look forward to, but we need to beat Georgia first.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-03-2019, 11:24 AM
Colonel

Duke comes in at number 3 on this countdown. As usual, Duke has a wholesale turnover of players leaving the program. These players, of course, are moving into the professional ranks. Duke continues to be a developmental team for the NBA. The new recruits? Of course, an outstanding bunch of near-pro caliber players who just need a little polishing before they play professionally.

Duke played two exhibition games. No secret scrimmages here. Duke just beat a division 2 team, in the same league as Central State, by the score of 126 to 57. That is humiliating for everyone involved. I believe, over the years, that Dayton coaches have tried hard NOT to score over 100 points against their exhibition opponents. That, I believe, is an ethical approach. Beating a team by 69 points serves no one. There is a substantial amount of politically correct verbiage on the web defending this Duke outcome as a good experience for both teams. That is political clap trap.

Duke’s first division 1 game will be against Kansas, a potential opponent for Dayton out in Hawaii.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-04-2019, 08:57 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,346 Times in 1,341 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Duke comes in at number 3 on this countdown. As usual, Duke has a wholesale turnover of players leaving the program. These players, of course, are moving into the professional ranks. Duke continues to be a developmental team for the NBA. The new recruits? Of course, an outstanding bunch of near-pro caliber players who just need a little polishing before they play professionally.

Duke played two exhibition games. No secret scrimmages here. Duke just beat a division 2 team, in the same league as Central State, by the score of 126 to 57. That is humiliating for everyone involved. I believe, over the years, that Dayton coaches have tried hard NOT to score over 100 points against their exhibition opponents. That, I believe, is an ethical approach. Beating a team by 69 points serves no one. There is a substantial amount of politically correct verbiage on the web defending this Duke outcome as a good experience for both teams. That is political clap trap.

Posted via Mobile Device
Paragraph 1: Why I rarely watch a regular season Duke game.

Partagraph 2: Why I hate rat face aka Coach K...I'm sure he shook everybody's hand and had words with everyone coming through the handshake line...but when he loses he can't even make eye contact with the opponents when he goes through the line.
Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 12:03 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post

...when he loses he can't even make eye contact with the opponents when he goes through the line.
That is because he is usually chastising the referees for the atrocities they committed against his team.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (11-04-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 09:30 AM
Colonel

Michigan State comes in at number 1 on this countdown. A couple of interesting items on the Michigan State basketball web page: a) on the roster page, the players are wearing suits. You don’t see that type of picture much anymore. That is very old school. The haircuts all look conservative, as well. That is also rare these days., 2) the head coaches son is on the roster. All 5’8” of him, and c) Dayton/ Georgia is prominently shown on their schedule but they do not prominently show other potential opponents in Hawaii on that schedule after the first round game. Most schools would prominently show the likes of Kansas on their schedule as potential opponents.
Posted via Mobile Device