UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 09-19-2018, 03:02 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,461 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Amelia’s Broken Foot???

Last weekend Lifelong Flyer Fan talked to a parent of another player and reported Amelia has a broken foot. The announcers did not say it was broken, but reported the injury happened last Thursday. Side note, that was Sept 13th.

It takes 6 to 12 weeks for a broken foot to heal. 6 weeks = Friday Oct 26. 12 weeks = Friday, Dec 7th. NCAA redshirt rules are you can apply if you’ve only played in 30% of matches. We have 29 matches this year. Add 2 more for the A10 tournament. Add two more for the NCAAs to get to 33. Amelia has played in 10. 30% of 33 = 9.9 matches. I’m not sure if that gets rounded up??? I also believe you can schedule 30 regular season matches. I’m not 100% sure of this, but I think we have in the past. We don’t have that match (usually with Ohio) after the A10 tourney, before Selection Sunday. (Do we think about adding one more match with anyone?)

Right now if it takes 12 weeks, that puts her available for the Sweet 16 round of NCAAs. That’s also the match that would for sure qualify her for a redshirt if 9.9 matches don’t get rounded up. That would be a very tough decision to play one of your starters in the biggest match in program history or hold her out for an extra year. You’re the head coach...what would you do?

I’m hoping it isn’t as bad as they thought and she’s back sooner rather than later. She is going to have a great career at UD either way.
Advertisement
Old 09-20-2018, 09:06 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not 100% positive, but I really doubt that they measure decimal units i.e. 9.9. It most likely ends up being a 10.

One question. Do they count matches or games? You have to play 3 games (min) to be a match.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:01 AM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Amelia had played in 38 of 39 sets. (There were 13 sets played last weekend when she didn’t play.) But I’m pretty sure it’s Matches played, not sets. That’s because if a player plays one point in any match, it counts as having played even if she didn’t touch the ball.

I tend to think they wont round 9.9 up to 10. No one is making any decisions today. If it is broken, I’m tending to believe it could be the longer timeline to get released to play. It’s one thing if a person just walks around at school or work. That’s not the case here. This is an athlete that will be running, turning on a dime and jumping several times a minute on her foot. That’s going to require maximum healing before a release. But who knows.

I’m not sure Amelia will be back this year. And if we have anyone we can throw on the schedule for a 30th match after the A10 tournament, I might start looking seriously at that option. We would have to make the round of 32 in the NCAAs - which would be our 34th match but that puts Amelia safely in the under 30% matches played range to qualify for the medical redshirt and she could play 4 more years.

The best thing would be if it’s just a small fracture and heals in the 6-8 week range, and then she would be back for all tournament play and help this team make a serious run in the NCAAs. If we are healthy, I think this team can do that even without Peterson.

So as I see it (which could be incorrect, and please post more NCAA reg details if you find them) we need to get to 34 matches for her to qualify for a redshirt because she has played 10 matches and you can only play 30% of the matches to qualify. We have 29 reg season + 2 A10 + 3 NCAA = 34. Or we add a 30th reg season match and we have to play 2 NCAA matches to get to 34. And if we get to 33 we Apply for an exception and hope they grant it

10 of 33 matches = 30.3% played
10 of 34 matches = 29.4% played

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 09-20-2018 at 10:13 AM..
Old 09-20-2018, 10:37 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
I have not seen many athletes in any sport who have a serious injury and are out a couple of months and can play anywhere near their peak ability in a few weeks. It takes time to get the muscles and lungs into shape to play at that high level. If she comes back this year, it will be at way less than 100%.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:37 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Here is my understanding of the Medical Hardship (red-shirt) rules:

1. Calculations are based on scheduled dates of competition - not number of contests. if a scheduled date of competition does not get played (i.e. hurricane), it still counts as a date of competition for which the athlete did not play.

2. Post season conference tournaments count as a single scheduled date of competition - regardless of the number of contests or days played or even if a team does not qualify for the conference tournament.

3. NCAA Tournament competition does not count for scheduled dates of competition.

4. Injury must occur during first half of season - based on scheduled dates of competition. (not contests).

5. Injury must be season ending - i.e. - can't be medically cleared to play before the end of the season but not play

6. Athlete cannot play in more than 30% of scheduled dates of competition

7. When calculating the 30% dates of competition, any fraction is rounded up to the next whole number.

By my calculations:

UD has 25 scheduled dates of competition - including the A-10 tournament. 30% is 7.5 - rounded up to 8

Moore played in 10 contests but these occurred on only 7 dates of competition. Therefore she should be eligible for a medical redshirt.

https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/bylawView?id=20655

Last edited by ud69; 09-20-2018 at 11:46 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (09-20-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 12:10 PM

Great info. As always it’s never easy with the NCAA rules. And it makes the situation easier for all. If the injury, which appears to be a broken foot, heals on the short end of the 6-12 weeks, like 6-8, we might see her back before year end. Otherwise we get her at UD for 4 more years. Considering how great this program looks to be during that time period, will be great. Either way, Amelia will have a great career at UD. I look forward to seeing her back on the court when she’s healthy.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 09-20-2018 at 12:12 PM..
Old 09-20-2018, 12:27 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,282 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Not being a student of the game, my observation is that there seem to be a lot of injuries related to the sport. I can understand football injuries but am somewhat suprised at the VB injuries. For you folks that follow and understand the sport, am I viewing this correctly or not?
Old 09-20-2018, 02:00 PM

I’m not sure I can compare it to other sports. And I’m not sure I can compare it to other vball programs. For example we know SLU has had several injuries to starters the last couple years, but we don’t know the details and we don’t know injuries to non-starters. We know Fairchild hasn’t played this year for Fordham but don’t know why when we assume an injury.

Even within the Dayton team we don’t have complete info. I saw Jordan with a boot on, Olivia with compression sleeves on both legs and knees and ice packs after the match after only warming up and Mikaylah wearing the “not available t-shirt” at Pitt, but I know nothing about the specifics of their injuries. We don’t even know if injuries happened while playing or outside the court.

We do know Jamie had some kind of shoulder injury last year and because she played in the spring, we assume it healed. We aren’t 100% sure what it was but rotary cuff tear??? was discussed. Comparison to a baseball pitcher was discussed. And I’ve heard vball hitters have similar motion to pitchers. On a vball team, usually more than half your players are hitters. Half a baseball team are not pitchers. So in a comparison between baseball and volleyball shoulder injuries, I would expect there would be more on an average Volleyball team roster. I’m sure others can think of other comparisons.

All that said, you are correct. We have a lot of injuries right now. Thank goodness we started with a roster of 18. Typically UD has had rosters os 14-16. Last weekend we were down to 13 available players and one of those was Olivia who was very limited I’m assuming to test her knees to see how they held up. It’s good we play GW and GM this weekend. We should sweep both while getting some banged up players who are still playing some rest and getting non-starters great playing time experience.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 09-20-2018 at 02:03 PM..