Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Womens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 04-05-2017, 10:20 PM
Major

flyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud of
Jabir to coach FAU

What the hell happened here?
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2017, 10:33 PM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyerfan4life View Post
What the hell happened here?
That series of events is one of the strangest things I have ever seen. He appears to me to be a troubled man.
Mad Props to TommyGola For This Totally Excellent Post:
UACFlyer (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 08:44 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
So if you are FAU, how do you hire him?
Old 04-06-2017, 10:42 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,029 Times in 766 Posts
jumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
So if you are FAU, how do you hire him?
I guess you take your chances when you are a crummy program that finished in the bottom10 in RPI with a 4-25 record.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by jumpin' joe; 04-06-2017 at 11:02 AM..
Mad Props to jumpin' joe For This Totally Excellent Post:
UACFlyer (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 11:42 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,523 Times in 771 Posts
Barney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant future
This makes me angry. Troubled man? How can they hire him? Come now. He needed time off for his health and he's better now and you ridicule him for accepting the Florida Atlantic job? How can anyone stoop so low? I know I'll take heat for this position but frankly I DON"T CARE -- just like when I felt the criticism Lauren took was unjust - I took heat for that. Be happy for the man - the game is better with him in it.
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Barney Sentner For This Totally Excellent Post:
Brad S. (04-06-2017), ClaytonFlyerFan (04-06-2017), Glen Clark (04-06-2017), jaburr91 (04-06-2017), Lifelong Flyer Fan (04-06-2017), NovaFlyer (04-06-2017), rollo (04-06-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 10:26 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,114 Posts
jaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant future
Looks like Jabir was named COY for his time in Denmark!

https://twitter.com/HardyHoun/status/856553798839525377

Google translates as:

This year's coach of the Basket League is Jim Jabir from Sisu. He has traveled home to the United States for a coach job, but one from Sisu accepts the prize.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jaburr91 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (04-25-2017), Lifelong Flyer Fan (01-27-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 11:42 AM
Brigadier General

jaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant future
Jabir doing his thing at FAU

https://twitter.com/FAUAthletics/sta...23628112707585
Mad Props to jaburr91 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (01-27-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 12:01 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,557 Times in 2,451 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Last year FAU WBB was 4-25. So far this year, 10-7.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:03 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Odd cirucmstances, though,...

Originally Posted by Barney Sentner View Post
This makes me angry. Troubled man? How can they hire him? Come now. He needed time off for his health and he's better now and you ridicule him for accepting the Florida Atlantic job? How can anyone stoop so low? I know I'll take heat for this position but frankly I DON"T CARE -- just like when I felt the criticism Lauren took was unjust - I took heat for that. Be happy for the man - the game is better with him in it.
Quite understandable that a person might need to leave a job for health reasons that he excelled at and that he always said he loved. In the special case of coaching, leaving suddenly, with little warning and very close to the beginning of a new season is especially problematic for the person's employer....but, still understandable when health is involved. Nothing is more important.

Indeed, given the adverse impact on the program, and an abrupt unexpected departure at a bad time, one would expect that the health matter was urgent and serious. Where this line of reasoning goes off the rails is when the person shows up coaching a very short time later...and very shortly thereafter is coach of a college team, no less....the very job that he abruptly walked away from a very short time before.

It's not at all uncommon for a coach to take a leave of absence for health reasons....often for an entire season. Wouldn't that have made sense in JJ's situation and,...if he was unable to return,...provided the U more time to find a replacement?

After objective consideration of the Jabir scenario use of the term "troubled man" is not at all inappropriate. He's a good guy and I wish him well. But that does not change the fact that Jabir's departure from Dayton and his following activities were strange in the extreme.

We were very lucky to have a great option who was available...Coach Greene. But luck it was. Absent that option the U would have been in a real scramble to avoid a major unsettling impact on the successful women's BB program.

Last edited by UACFlyer; 01-27-2018 at 03:25 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (01-28-2018), jack72 (01-27-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 06:20 PM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
We will never know what happened, but I am with UAC, health that cures that quickly is questionable.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:58 PM
Brigadier General

To me, the "health issues" were always a contributing factor but not THE ONLY factor.

https://www.upressonline.com/2017/04...championships/

Jabir resigned from his post prior to the start of last season, citing health issues, according to the Dayton Daily News. However, Jabir played down the health issues, saying it was “kind of blown out of proportion” and that everything was fine.

“When I initially talked about health scares, I kind of felt that if I kept on going on the track I was, that eventually something bad was going to happen to me physically,” said Jabir. “It was more of an emotional thing that I was beat up. I kind of felt if I kept going that way. I’m fine and I’m really excited to be here.”

Last edited by jaburr91; 01-27-2018 at 10:01 PM..
Old 01-28-2018, 12:25 AM

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
So?

Originally Posted by jaburr91 View Post
To me, the "health issues" were always a contributing factor but not THE ONLY factor.

https://www.upressonline.com/2017/04...championships/
So not only wasn't health the only factor, it appears it wasn't even a major factor. JJ's remarks certainly didn't shed any light on his reasons.

Wasn't JJ married to a rather senior UD official? Seems I read that somewhere.
And he immediately heads off to Denmark? Sounds as if he was running away from something.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:18 AM

Thanked 17,094 Times in 5,099 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Angie Russell Jabir left UD about 4-5 months ago and finally moved down to FL with Jim. She took an administrative job at Nova Southeastern.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
jaburr91 (01-28-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 04:38 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Had heard he canceled his last teams banquet. That there raises a serious flag.

We know he had a fibulator for his heart but that was several years ago.

He stated wanted to spend more time with family but heads to Denmark.

The appropriate thing for him to do if he really truly loved UD was to take leave of absence which would have been acceptable and our recruits more than likely would have remained committed.

Cancelling the banquet then his sudden departure that defied his reasons for leaving equals very troubled man.

He basically told untruths when within a month he is coaching far away from his family. Jabir built the program then nearly destroyed it.

So it's a mixed bag. If not for coach Green his departure could have returned the program back to where he took over.

No way his words matched his actions.
Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
UACFlyer (01-28-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 08:15 PM
Brigadier General

Jabir was a guest on the 5/22/2018 'The Jump Around with Blake DuDonis' podcast.

Talks on a lot of topics -- including Dayton. Kind of a crappy phone connection, though.

https://twitter.com/Coach_Blake_/sta...37547220275200

Here's the soundcloud version:

https://soundcloud.com/blake-dudonis/jim-jabir-fau

Last edited by jaburr91; 05-26-2018 at 09:47 PM..