Old 04-06-2010, 04:55 PM
1st Lieutenant

The Don will become famous soon enough
#33 in USA Today ESPN coaches poll.....

I thought we would be higher.
Link:http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2010, 04:59 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 3,162 Times in 803 Posts
John C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond repute
So much for #65 as some would say of our NIT Championship.

I think the coaches had us lower all year.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:35 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,859 Times in 720 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by John C. View Post
I think the SIDs had us lower all year.
FYP

33rd feels about right. When you consider the top 48 or so teams are in the dance (plus 17 conference champs that aren't top 65 caliber), the selection committee said UD was about 58th (48 in NCAA plus 3 seed in NIT).

UD's run, coupled with some spectacular NCAA flameouts, puts them about 35th or so in any sane reckoning.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:52 PM

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,706 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I feel that's fair. None of the NIT teams we beat get to vote. A close look at the voters makes me wonder who might have even given us the 3. Not that we didn't deserve 3, but I don't see any of them throwing Dayton a bone.

Dana Altman, Phil Martellus, and Charlie Coles would have been the only voters that we played against. I don't see any of them being overly impressed with us.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:55 PM
1st Lieutenant

The Wright Stuff is a glorious beacon of lightThe Wright Stuff is a glorious beacon of lightThe Wright Stuff is a glorious beacon of lightThe Wright Stuff is a glorious beacon of lightThe Wright Stuff is a glorious beacon of light
If you notice, UD is the ONLY team in the final poll not to make the NCAA Tournament. I think thats fairly significant from the standpoint of the respect UD gained from some coaches during the NIT Championship run. This to me also highlights the significance of the exposure UD received from playing all those games on ESPN in primetime.

Last edited by The Wright Stuff; 04-06-2010 at 06:03 PM..
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to The Wright Stuff For This Totally Excellent Post:
Buster Goode (04-07-2010), Flyer 86 (04-07-2010), Flyer69ers (04-07-2010), San Diego Flyer (04-06-2010), vfly (04-07-2010)
Old 04-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,434 Times in 683 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
There are 32 teams that made it to the 2nd round of the tournament, so it seems like there is a good amount of respect considering that alone.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:04 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,020 Times in 479 Posts
Flyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant future
Interestingly enough, we finished last season at #34 in the same poll, despite making the dance and winning a game as an underdog. So i guess the age old of question of whether winning the NIT is better for the program or going to the dance is better is still unanswered. It does, at the very least, seem to suggest that winning the NIT is better than losing the first round of the tourney. Winning a game in the tourney last year didn't seem to do anymore for us than winning the NIT this year.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings
Mad Props to Flyer'95 For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (04-07-2010)
Old 04-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
I was hoping for higher, but this about right. I think many of us believe that if we took the floor against the 32 teams ranked higher than us right now, we could probably beat about half of them.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:37 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer'95 View Post
Interestingly enough, we finished last season at #34 in the same poll, despite making the dance and winning a game as an underdog. So i guess the age old of question of whether winning the NIT is better for the program or going to the dance is better is still unanswered. It does, at the very least, seem to suggest that winning the NIT is better than losing the first round of the tourney. Winning a game in the tourney last year didn't seem to do anymore for us than winning the NIT this year.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings
I guess I have to give credit to 3 coaches that view winning 5 straight games (only 1 at home) against some pretty good competition, as an accomplishment.

Personally, I do think this years team was a bit better than last year's team when all was said and done.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:08 PM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer'95 View Post
It does, at the very least, seem to suggest that winning the NIT is better than losing the first round of the tourney. http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings
I agree with that. While few remember the NIT winner after several months, even fewer remember second round losers in the NCAA. I'd peg an NIT championship and a sweet 16 appearance as close to equivalent in terms of short-term recognition. Longer term not sure either matters much, that comes from consistent NCAA appearances and advancement. Not individual year accomplishments, short of a Final 4.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Captain

UDan71 will become famous soon enoughUDan71 will become famous soon enough
I agree with UDDoug.

It seems that long term accomplishments carry a lot of weight with coaches - not just one good year. And WHEN you play well - in your league and certainly in the Big Dance.

When you look at that list of top 25 teams, UD lost to #7, went 1-2 (including 25-point win) against #14, lost to # 16 by one at their place, lost to #26 and beat #27. If we can get one or two more victories over that caliber of school next year, our portfolio will begin to look like a solid, consistent, year-to-year program and not just a flash-in-the-pan one which had one class of talented players who made a couple-year run.

Three points is disappointing, though. But not surprising.