Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Football

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 09-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Colonel

Flyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the rough
Jacksonville Game...week 4

Jacksonville played up week-1 & took one on the chin against Ga. Southern, 58-0. The young team beat Charleston Southern 31-10 & Webber, 33-10 the following weeks.

Coach Kerwin Bell says this is a ..."crucial stage of the season. One of the toughest places to win in this conference." His teams have never won @ Welcome in three tries.

JU starting QB Kade Bell was knocked silly in the Webber game so Soph. QB Trevires Folston is being readied just in case. The Dolphin defense ranks #1 in country in pass defense efficiency & #5 in overall pass D. They could remain highly ranked after Saturday. Fortunately, Dayton can win without much passing.

I still have nightmares about that 2008 game in Jacksonville. Family came from all over to a crummy, cold weekend in Florida. Never set foot on the beach! Then the Flyers couldn't hold the speed offense for the final quarter, lost the game & the bowl opportunity. This 2012 version may be young but just watch & admire the speed they no doubt will show - and sleep tight!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer Gramps For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (09-19-2012), PIONEER 8 (09-19-2012)
Advertisement
Old 09-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,452 Times in 781 Posts
DetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I have not followed JU closely yet this season, but it seems as though they have struggled a bit to find a QB to replace Josh McGregor. I do not think that Kade was the starter for the first game.... I know nothing about Trevires, (interesting name by the way). On the PFL board they are reporting that he is 6' 7"! I have to admit to not being optimistic about this game. I'm not certain that another dismal passing day, even with great defense and running, can pull this one out.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:33 PM
Captain

PIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura aboutPIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura aboutPIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura about
Here is a link to the UD article about the RM game and the upcoming game. I think this game will be very telling. Very likely that JU is the second best team we have played. It will be interesting to see if we can step it up.

http://www.daytonflyers.com/mens/foo...rticle_id=9091
Old 09-19-2012, 04:41 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Agree that this game will tell us a lot about how we could fair in the conference. Do well and we could be competitive, get smoked and it could be a very long year. Shaky offense makes it a real ?
Old 09-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Captain

Scout86 has a spectacular aura aboutScout86 has a spectacular aura aboutScout86 has a spectacular aura about
I have a feeling we'll be calling on our punter and field goal kicker a lot, I hope there ready.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:49 AM
Lieutenant General

DetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Game Notes

Dayton:

http://daytonflyers.com.ismmedia.com...ews/Jville.pdf

Nothing exciting on the depth chart other than Dan Jacobs is listed as the starter above Taylor Harris. Maybe Taylor is still not 100%.

Jacksonville:

http://www.judolphins.com/media/foot...on%20notes.pdf

A quick glance indicates at least one large offensive lineman, Kevin Battle at 6' 4", 315 lbs.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:00 AM
Lieutenant General

I am feeling unusually pessimistic about this game. It just looks like JU's defense is significantly better than our offense. I see yet another game where our offense struggles greatly and a game where our defense plays well but is simply on the field for too many downs. I have little faith in our ability to covert a field goal and see our punter being the most valuable player again this week. We beat what looks to be a very poor Robert Morris team last week. The returning QB for RM was very rusty and it showed. He missed several open receivers that would have burned us bad.... Much like our receivers, the RM boys dropped a few passes as well. JU is struggling a bit at the QB position, but I see them making enough plays, especially once our defense is a bit worn down to win for the first time ever at Welcome. Frankly, each week now brings a significant risk of our no shut out streak coming to an end. I guess I am suffering from an idea I picked up when I lived in Missouri. The offense has been dismal now for 1.3 seasons. Until they "show me" some significant progress in the passing game, I am not going to feel good about any of the remaining games this season. One more interesting thought in the game notes.... #17 is reported to have pushed #3 and #9 in camp.... If we do not get on track this week, (and I doubt that we will), I think it will be time to give #17 a start. Here is to hoping that I am way off base and the Flyers dominate. I know that is what my heart says and hopes for, but my mind is in a completely different place.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:28 AM
1st Lieutenant

proudpapa will become famous soon enoughproudpapa will become famous soon enough
Pass First Offense

I would agree that Voigt or Johnson would probably be the better option if our spread offense was pass first. UD uses a run first spread option, which means that the qb needs to be a run threat. If not then they have no need to respect the option. If we were slinging the ball around the field those two would probably be the better choice. It would make for a nice change of pace during a game if the defense was committing hard to the run.

I think our front seven are better than first thought. I think there will be plenty of pressure on the JU qb. The top two are relatively new so here is to another couple of interceptions.

I am hoping that this is a breakout game for the Flyers, where we put together a complete game in all aspects of the game and cut down on the penalties.

It will definitely be football weather. GO FLYERS!
Old 09-21-2012, 09:28 AM
Colonel

Flyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the rough
First Things First

The Michigander's mention of the height of JU reserve QB Trevius Foltson @ 6'7" got me interested in some research.

He's only 220#, but that's more per inch than our QB or Kade Bell. WOW! That's right there with our linebackers.

He might be slow; has more sacks than Bell. But his % completion is better than any QB in the stadium Saturday!

He's only a soph, but Bell's a RS Frosh & Bardo's a RS-soph.

Cade Bell is the coaches son & you know they usually play well; and only a concussion can keep them out.

Yes, thanks to some research, I'm very, very nervous because either JU QB will have some good receivers running around.

Oh well, first things first - let's go 401 games with points on the board.

Last edited by Flyer Gramps; 09-21-2012 at 09:30 AM..
Old 09-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Captain

Scout86 has a spectacular aura aboutScout86 has a spectacular aura aboutScout86 has a spectacular aura about
If our QB starts under throwing passes early, I look for them to switch out QB's pretty quickly.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:55 AM
1st Lieutenant

MichiganFlyer60 is on a distinguished road
It's time to start ripping off some consecutive wins, gain some confidence and see who are playmakers and leaders are.

Go Flyers!
Mad Props to MichiganFlyer60 For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (09-22-2012)
Old 09-22-2012, 10:08 AM
Captain

Leaving to tailgate.......sun is out, temp is perfect, time for a hard hitting game !
Old 09-22-2012, 01:01 PM
Colonel

4 on Injured List

Of the four on this week's injury list, Harris will be missed most. Neck stinger!

Little chance to win without Taylor Harris unless Connor Kacsor arrives!
Old 09-22-2012, 01:04 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Video anyone?
Old 09-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Lieutenant General

UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
Video anyone?
not here in florida
Old 09-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Nope - another outstanding streaming event.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:15 PM
General of the Air Force

Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
DaytonFlyers mobile response:

CBS video streaming servers are down. No live stream for today's Dayton football game. We will have tape delay of the broadcast later.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:25 PM
Colonel

Video Stream Cancelled

Way to go UD Athletic Dept. for football. How many AD's work at UD? Why don't the AD's care?

If only I was an alum!

Because I'm not, all I can say is this sucks and has for 5 years except for one game...last week.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:27 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
DaytonFlyers mobile response:

CBS video streaming servers are down. No live stream for today's Dayton football game. We will have tape delay of the broadcast later.
OB woes continue early. Without seeing it it is hard to judge exactly but it 20% completion rate will make it tough. Defense could be on the field a lot today.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:35 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Flyer Gramps View Post
Way to go UD Athletic Dept. for football. How many AD's work at UD? Why don't the AD's care?

If only I was an alum!

Because I'm not, all I can say is this sucks and has for 5 years except for one game...last week.
Share your disappointment Gramps, wonder though is it UD's fault or CBS?
Old 09-22-2012, 01:43 PM
General of the Air Force

Volleyball game last night was also canceled. Someone tweeted the problem was fixed. Guessed not.

CBS servers down suggests its not UD but then all streaming would be down for all programs.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:47 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
ESPN appears to have their full Gamecast working if you want to supplement radio with stats that are reasonably kept up.

UD 10, J 7.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:14 PM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
We are playing uphill right now. This momentum better change fast. J 14 and driving, UD 10. Our passing is frail and their passing is eating us up and is supplemented with some running game.

Fumble by the Dolphins before halftime. Whew.

Last edited by San Diego Flyer; 09-22-2012 at 02:22 PM..
Old 09-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Lieutenant General

Wind a big factor and their QB can actually complete a pass with the wind ....
Old 09-22-2012, 02:34 PM
Lieutenant General

Gale force winds now....
Old 09-22-2012, 02:35 PM
Colonel

Halftime on the computer

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
ESPN appears to have their full Gamecast working if you want to supplement radio with stats that are reasonably kept up.

UD 10, J 7.

Thanks SDF! I needed ESPN today!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess I forgot about Robert Washington. His 15 attempts for 3.5 yd avg over two seasons got lost in my mind? Nice 3 runs for 58 yds in 1st half.

Bardo has 35 yds passing so far. If he is needed because of his running then why is he 26 yds in 6 tries? Let's do something Wil!

Coach Bell's boy sure doesn't complete many (7-13) but at least he has 3-times our yardage.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:46 PM

Yes, winds originally to be at 25mph at 5pm EST, now gusting to 30mph. Frankly, that should help us. Then both teams won't be able to pass it instead of just us. We are going to have to punish them with the running game and get a little help from special teams or turnovers if we expect to win it.

Last edited by San Diego Flyer; 09-22-2012 at 02:48 PM..
Old 09-22-2012, 02:55 PM

I'm assuming our 56 yard punt was with the wind. Dolphins doing a good job of moving the ball back against the wind and eating clock.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:04 PM

Nearing the end of the 3rd quarter with UD showing a better balance of run and pass with the wind. Need to score in this quarter. Dolphins will have the wind in the 4th unless it changes direction.

Wind chill in high 30's. Hope Dolphins freeze up.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:08 PM
Colonel

3rd qtr advantage

Yes, we had 3rd qtr wind.

That helped us get 2 completeions: one for 15 yds & another for 2 yds.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:14 PM

Two in row for 36 yards just in time. Good balance now. C'mon Flyers.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:21 PM

One more chance to do something. Bardo is going to have to step up in the red zone. One fumble and then two incompleted short passes squashed our chances on the last two drives.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:26 PM

Ok. Back in the red zone and 4 down territory. Too late for a field goal. Got to push it in.

2:07 left. Game is there for the taking for both teams.

1st and goal at the 5 on a short pass.

Bardo to Smith for the score + extra point.

1:39 left and 3 point Flyer lead.

Last edited by San Diego Flyer; 09-22-2012 at 03:31 PM..
Old 09-22-2012, 03:31 PM
Colonel

Chance to win good!

Amazing 4th qtr offense

We lead 17-14 with 1:39 to play!
Old 09-22-2012, 03:35 PM
Colonel

Forget it!

Amazing 4th qtr offense

We lead 17-14 with 1:39 to play!
KO team loses game giving up a TD and 1:23 to play...17-21

Well, it is a team sport & our team let one go!
Old 09-22-2012, 03:36 PM

WTF ! 85 yard kickoff return!! J 21 UD 17.

Unfreaking believable. UD worked sooo hard on that last drive. Ugh.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:55 PM

Great effort, no cigar.

Tough loss. UD ruled the stats but two things ruined our great effort. One was the failure to execute the 1 yd run in the red zone--- when we coughed up the fumble---- and ended the 3rd quarter having missed a great opportunity. Two, was obviously the team breakdown on the Dolphins 85 yard kickoff. That after a masterfull drive that ate up clock and gave us the lead with less than 2 minutes to play.

stats: http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/gamecast?gameId=322662168

Are we getting better? I think we are. Will it be enough this season. No.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:56 PM
Colonel

The 401 streak continues

Unbelievable 4th qtr effort & mistake.

So we began with a disappointment about the webcast & lost a winable game.

Amazing day. I wouldn't want to run the laps Tuesday that the KO team should do.

Well, we did score points for the 401st consecutive game.

Was Colby Walden running fast on his 85 yard KO return? Heard that several Flyers touched him! Speed kills but not falling on a fingernail touch is precoius too! Maybe need two safeties on KO?

Our defense only gave up 7 points; great job guys.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:49 PM
Lieutenant General

Multiple missed tackles. A major choke. We are simply not good enough to overcome multiple mistakes. Certainly not "stepping up"....
Old 09-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Lieutenant General

Mediocre and poor teams find a way to lose. Not sure which we are but we sure aren't what we used to be. Nothing wrong with the effort, we simply are not good enough. Going to be a battle to have a winning season but I'm sure the effort will be there to do so.
Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UACFlyer (09-22-2012)
Old 09-22-2012, 06:01 PM
Colonel

Not a step up; just a stumble

Certainly not stepping up. We needed a KO & several defensive plays to end a game. Nobody stepped up on the KO!

But the 4th qtr comeback happened by the O & the D. As was posted last week, we need field position with short drives to score (an 80 or 90 yard drive would be like pulling teeth). The defense only yielded one TD. We were home, got the stop & short field score at home to put the Dolphins on the ropes. One bad play ruined the joy of a comeback. Congrats to JU on their first win at Welcome.

This was not an opponent that was in my "win" column before the season but it would have been nice to sneak awaywith a "W".
Old 09-22-2012, 07:17 PM
Captain

Not making excuses but I feel like we were out coached in a lot of areas today....I know the players feel like crap, waited for my son for an hour....never came out from the locker room, finally texted us to leave....didn't want dinner.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:55 PM

This was not an opponent that was in my "win" column before the season but it would have been nice to sneak awaywith a "W".
Actually, if you did the column over again, I would urge you to put a "W" down. We dominated the statistics, but were robbed of a win by several critical, but correctible, mistakes. Our fumble and failure to cover a kickoff did us in. We did what winners do in that 4th quarter drive. Then the lapse of concentration killed us. Of course even if we stop the kickoff return at midfield, Jacksonville still has 90 seconds to tie or beat us.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:45 PM
Captain

PIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura aboutPIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura aboutPIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura about
Tough loss. Our defense clearly played well enough for us to win and I think the offense did enough if JU did not have the kick off return for a TD at the end of the game. I really was not that impressed with JU. I thought we were the better team and had their number most of the day. Our offense played in spurts but we just did not make the plays when we had to. The missed hand off on 4th and 1 and the dropped pass on 4th and five were both real killers. Our last three drives of the game were all 2 minute drills and our offense looked better in them than it had all day. Maybe we need to consider doing that some during the middle of the game if our offense is not clicking. Bardo seemed to operate much better in that mode. I also think it would make sense to give one of the other QBs a series here or there just to let them get some game experience. I am sure the coaches are working with Bardo and trying to get him up to speed and I am not suggesting that they replace him but put in one of the other guys for a few plays just so they get a little experience.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:05 AM
Lieutenant General

As a long time fan, I really struggle to get over a loss like the one we saw first hand on Saturday. It is clear that minus the mistakes we were the better team. But ultimately, mistakes are part of the game. For some unknown reasons our Flyers seem to be committing many more mistakes than in previous seasons. Some weeks it has been penalties, some weeks it has been missed field goals, some weeks it has been lack of defensive play making in the fourth quarter, some weeks we tackle poorly, well you get the idea…. There is no doubt that the competition is getting better and the margins for error are much narrower. At the end of the day, we simply do not seem to be able to play an entire game of what I would normally refer to as Flyer Football. It just seems to me like our overall intensity is just not there. I mean how many times since pee wee have our QB and running back completed a SIMPLE handoff? But when the game in on the line and it counts, mental mistakes are made, the SIMPLE play in not executed, and we turn the ball over when we should have scored points on a nice drive…. How about making a tackle on a kick off return? Kick off returns are rare because even poor teams generally can cover and tackle the returner. But once again, game on the line, need to complete a relatively SIMPLE and routine play, and we blow it multiple times. In both cases, you are not talking about skill issues. We know how to hand off a football and we know how to properly tackle a return man. We just failed to do it. Mental mistakes that worked toward another “L” on the scorecard. Of course we have a significant skill issue to address as well. With the wind in the first quarter, our QB could not get a pass within 5 yards of the receivers. If it had been some other team it would have been comical. I just do not know the answer here. The staff has decided that #3 is our best QB. If that is truly the best we can do, we are in for a very, very long season. Granted, things got better as the game wore on, but to win FCS games going forward, 4 quarters of good play are required. We simply cannot afford to play amazingly poorly for an entire quarter or more and expect to defeat mid-level to good teams. This brings me to one last item. Coaching…. We are absolutely seeing the impact of new coaches and it is not good. I am certainly no expert when it comes to calling plays, but whoever called the let’s give Jacksonville six points play, (pick six interception), should receive a severe tongue lashing. That pass under ideal conditions demands pinpoint accuracy. Our QB had CLEARLY demonstrated that he was not throwing accurately. In addition, we were throwing into gale force winds against the best pass defense in the PFL. Honestly, I could not have diagramed a six point gift for JU any easier. It was a horrible call with virtually no chance of success and a very high chance of exactly what happened…. The other part that is distressing is that the QB was going to throw that pass come heck or high water. The receiver was absolutely not open. Even a perfect pass in ideal conditions could not have been completed. I just do not get it. Take that bonehead play away on Saturday and we win the game in spite of the many other mistakes. Each week this season, I have been waiting for the Flyers to break out, to put together a complete game, to play Flyer Football and not Valpo football. We are not there yet. It will be interesting to see if we can get our collective acts together and salvage this season. As of today, there is little reason to think we can win at Butler. It could be another very frustrating week for the team and its fans. All I can say it that I hope we have put all of the bungling on many levels behind us and that for the rest of 2012 we play Flyer Football. I am no longer hoping for “stepping up” I just want to see good, solid, mistake free for the most part football. If we can simply execute without glaring mistakes, (players and coaches), we can win the rest of our games.
Mad Props to DetroitFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
PIONEER 8 (09-24-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 10:47 AM

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
The issue is talent, DF,...

Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer View Post
As a long time fan, I really struggle to get over a loss like the one we saw first hand on Saturday. It is clear that minus the mistakes we were the better team. But ultimately, mistakes are part of the game. For some unknown reasons our Flyers seem to be committing many more mistakes than in previous seasons. Some weeks it has been penalties, some weeks it has been missed field goals, some weeks it has been lack of defensive play making in the fourth quarter, some weeks we tackle poorly, well you get the idea…. There is no doubt that the competition is getting better and the margins for error are much narrower. At the end of the day, we simply do not seem to be able to play an entire game of what I would normally refer to as Flyer Football. It just seems to me like our overall intensity is just not there. I mean how many times since pee wee have our QB and running back completed a SIMPLE handoff? But when the game in on the line and it counts, mental mistakes are made, the SIMPLE play in not executed, and we turn the ball over when we should have scored points on a nice drive…. How about making a tackle on a kick off return? Kick off returns are rare because even poor teams generally can cover and tackle the returner. But once again, game on the line, need to complete a relatively SIMPLE and routine play, and we blow it multiple times. In both cases, you are not talking about skill issues. We know how to hand off a football and we know how to properly tackle a return man. We just failed to do it. Mental mistakes that worked toward another “L” on the scorecard. Of course we have a significant skill issue to address as well. With the wind in the first quarter, our QB could not get a pass within 5 yards of the receivers. If it had been some other team it would have been comical. I just do not know the answer here. The staff has decided that #3 is our best QB. If that is truly the best we can do, we are in for a very, very long season. Granted, things got better as the game wore on, but to win FCS games going forward, 4 quarters of good play are required. We simply cannot afford to play amazingly poorly for an entire quarter or more and expect to defeat mid-level to good teams. This brings me to one last item. Coaching…. We are absolutely seeing the impact of new coaches and it is not good. I am certainly no expert when it comes to calling plays, but whoever called the let’s give Jacksonville six points play, (pick six interception), should receive a severe tongue lashing. That pass under ideal conditions demands pinpoint accuracy. Our QB had CLEARLY demonstrated that he was not throwing accurately. In addition, we were throwing into gale force winds against the best pass defense in the PFL. Honestly, I could not have diagramed a six point gift for JU any easier. It was a horrible call with virtually no chance of success and a very high chance of exactly what happened…. The other part that is distressing is that the QB was going to throw that pass come heck or high water. The receiver was absolutely not open. Even a perfect pass in ideal conditions could not have been completed. I just do not get it. Take that bonehead play away on Saturday and we win the game in spite of the many other mistakes. Each week this season, I have been waiting for the Flyers to break out, to put together a complete game, to play Flyer Football and not Valpo football. We are not there yet. It will be interesting to see if we can get our collective acts together and salvage this season. As of today, there is little reason to think we can win at Butler. It could be another very frustrating week for the team and its fans. All I can say it that I hope we have put all of the bungling on many levels behind us and that for the rest of 2012 we play Flyer Football. I am no longer hoping for “stepping up” I just want to see good, solid, mistake free for the most part football. If we can simply execute without glaring mistakes, (players and coaches), we can win the rest of our games.
True, DF,.....mistakes are part of the game. And talented players/teams are the ones that make the fewest of them. I watch UConn FB every week.....and in your discussion of Dayton FB and its mistakes I could substitute UConn for Dayton and the description would fit perfectly.

The issue is a talent deficit in both cases. Players with marginal talent and ability are stretched to the limit against better oppenents...on every play, in a every series, in every critical situation. When players and teams are overmatched they are mistake prone.

The scores may be close, it may almost always seem that were it not for this play or that play "we would have won", etc. But, when the story is rpeated seemingly week-after-week....and you know that effort is not an issue,...it always comes back to the same thing. Most of the time (except in soccer) the team with the most talent finds a way to win.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:56 AM

The wind was a factor for both teams. For obvious reasons, a helping gale force wind makes you run as if you are running downhill. And conversely, running against that same wind mentally it is a grind. 31 of the 38 points in the game were scored with the helping wind.

UD played the wind perfectly in the 1st quarter, 10-0. Jacksonville reciprocated in the second quarter with the wind 14-10. UD was in position to break that paradigm in the third quarter. I felt like the coaching staff did not save the clock and keep the wind to finish the drive at the end of the third. Instead the last sequence was after a change of ends and we stalled out against the wind with Bardo's crucial fumble. Then to our credit, we played the Dolphins about as tough as possible to get the ball back and drive 12 plays for the first and only score of the game against the breeze.

By all accounts, the Jacksonville returner ran a wind-aided 85 yards like he had a dose of nitrous oxide. But even if we had caught him halfway home, there was still plenty of time on the clock for the Dolphins to throw with the wind and score.

We missed a critical opportunity to score at the end of the 3rd quarter and that IMO cost us the game.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:30 PM
Captain

PittsburghFlyer is on a distinguished road
If you look back over the last three games, we have fumbled the ball on the QB-RB exchange in each of those games! Not sure if it is the option attack we run or not, but we need to stop the exchange fumbles. In terms of our 1-3 record, I did a little research on the teams we have played thus far. ISU is 4-0. They actually beat a FBS team, Eastern Michigan, it appears fairly easily! Duquesne is 3-1, Robert Morris is 0-3 (bye this past week), and Jacksonville is 3-1. That is a 10-5 record combined of our opponents! Bottom line is the competition has been good (with exception of RMU). And we have been in every game except for ISU. It is obvious we need to be more consistent. I do believe we have the talent and coaching to win games. If we did not have the talent and coaching, we would not have been in position to win these games. Hopefully we will play a complete game at Butler and bring home a W.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:48 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
True, DF,.....mistakes are part of the game. And talented players/teams are the ones that make the fewest of them. I watch UConn FB every week.....and in your discussion of Dayton FB and its mistakes I could substitute UConn for Dayton and the description would fit perfectly.

The issue is a talent deficit in both cases. Players with marginal talent and ability are stretched to the limit against better oppenents...on every play, in a every series, in every critical situation. When players and teams are overmatched they are mistake prone.

The scores may be close, it may almost always seem that were it not for this play or that play "we would have won", etc. But, when the story is rpeated seemingly week-after-week....and you know that effort is not an issue,...it always comes back to the same thing. Most of the time (except in soccer) the team with the most talent finds a way to win.
Agree 100%. We simply do not have the talent on a team wide basis to win week in and week out. As stated, effort isn't a problem. Matchups are. We are 1-5 in out last five games(2 seasons). the defense has improved, the offense not so much. So instead of a blowout loss like Drake last year, we can keep it close. Hard to see a winning season this year unless the offense has a big turnaround. Hope our best days aren't behind us.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:43 PM
Captain

We've missed our #1 runner more than we realize ....not sure of his injury, but lets hope he sucks it up and is on the field Saturday.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:21 PM

Lack of depth...

Is one key issue really. In the past we have had multiple #1 runners being groomed. Depth at key positions throughout. Flyer teams have always played with a lot of heart, just as this one is. But we lack a bit of depth at the skill positions. Very few things make players focus and execute, play through injuries, like having an equally skilled player nipping at your heels.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
UACFlyer (09-24-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 04:25 PM
Lieutenant General

Missed, but maybe

Originally Posted by Scout86 View Post
We've missed our #1 runner more than we realize ....not sure of his injury, but lets hope he sucks it up and is on the field Saturday.
not that big of a factor.

Rob Washington ran 5 times for 75 yards

Dan Jacob ran 19 times for 74 yards.

Combined, they were 24/149 yards. Not too shabby for backups....

Throw in Bardo's 14/42 yards and we rushed for almost 200 yards on the day....

Of course it will be great to have Taylor Harris back, but we have a pretty good running game without him. I'm not certain this was the major factor Saturday. Going 22/48, (less than 50% again), passing for 192 yards with 3 sacks and a pick six may have been bigger factors....

Check out the NCAA, FCS passing efficiency ratings for the top 100 QB's to see where our QB is ranked:

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.js...div=IAA&dest=O
Old 09-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Colonel

Maybe coach fortold the future

Man, after I read these posts it was like, "Now I know why coach came along with the "step up" theme for this group. They definitely need somebody to do something special above their normal talent.

My message to the boys now would be something like, your punter can only do so much!
Old 09-24-2012, 05:50 PM

Of our very impressive total game of 196 net yards rushing, only 19 came in the red zone. Jackfish bent, but they didn't break.

I wondered after the game if we had tackled the interception and the last kickoff return, and made them grind down the field, would we have won? Gotta think we would have. Two big plays ruined our afternoon of hard work.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Interesting sidelight (and maybe I am the last to recognize it), but the Dolphins have an Andrew Robustelli (from Sarasota) playing for them. How many recall All-pro Andy Robustelli for the Rams and the New York Giants? Died last year at 85 years of age. Kid could be his grandson, or great grandson.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:57 PM
Colonel

With a name like that...

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
-------------------------------------------------------------
Interesting sidelight (and maybe I am the last to recognize it), but the Dolphins have an Andrew Robustelli (from Sarasota) playing for them. How many recall All-pro Andy Robustelli for the Rams and the New York Giants? Died last year at 85 years of age. Kid could be his grandson, or great grandson.
Hope you didn't forget that I'm 6 years your senior & Andy Robustelli's name didn't get past me either. In fact I told someone on the phone about him; we don't have many to commensurate with do we? Here is the proof from the JU roster:

Personal: Born April 27, 1993 in Stamford, Ct. … son of Michael and Tracey … has four siblings … grandson of NFL Hall of Famer Andy Robustelli of the New York Giants ... undecided major choosing between business and marine biology.
Mad Props to Flyer Gramps For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (09-24-2012)
Old 09-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Colonel

Example of Stepping Up

Woke up third morning in a row now with that JU loss on my mind. Gotta get ready for the Butler!

This morning I had the "positive" example of stepping up:

This team was in a bit of offensive disarray. They gave up a TD & a FG & the announcers even reported that players were hollering at players, coaches were hollering at players & even each other.

Then a kid on the defense came up with an intercept & ran it for a TD. Wasn't long after that when their O scored to take the lead at halftime.

But troubles continued for this team in the 2nd half. No scoring. Momentum seemed to be lost & the game too after giving up a TD with less than 2 min to play. But the KO returner stepped up & ran 85 yards for the winning TD.

Jacksonville University had two players who "stepped up" in a big way and are examples of what the term should evoke.
Mad Props to Flyer Gramps For This Totally Excellent Post:
MichiganFlyer60 (09-25-2012)
Old 09-25-2012, 12:36 PM
Academy Doolie

ICDWS is on a distinguished road
Attended first home UD home game to see #2 son. My thoguhts on the game: he saw the field too much (long snapper). QB was poor. He is a nice athlete and could contribute significantly at slot or WR, but at QB he is not a good fit. The pick 6 was the turning point. We missed Harris quickness and speed, thought the back ups did a credible job. Too much uncertainty on offense stems from lack of accurate passing. Defense performed well. Really only gave up one score and held when needed. Too much to ask the defense to score as well. Kickoff coverage did not measure up.

Atmosphere was charged, band and cheer were great, sun was out, Dr. Pepper was cold, fans were into the game. Overall a nice event. A win would have made it even better, but alas, as my son said, I wake up tomorrow and I am still here, which is a good thing.

One last thought about windy games and coin toss. If wind is significant and you win the toss, take the ball to start the game. this will force other team to take ball in third quarter and you get the wind in the 4th. Deferring gives all advantage to the coin toss loser.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ICDWS For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (09-25-2012), Flyer Gramps (09-25-2012), MichiganFlyer60 (09-25-2012), UACFlyer (09-26-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 03:44 PM
Colonel

Looking for the Tape Delay

Last Saturday the webcast didn't work & each day since I look for the tape delay:

Did I miss it or is it yet to come or is it too much to expect?
Old 09-26-2012, 09:32 PM
1st Lieutenant

chriscage will become famous soon enough
CBS All Access No Better

I paid my fifteen bucks for a September subscription to the CBS College Sports All Access feed. This resulted in almost 50% downtime for the Illinois State game and a "skipped vinyl record" effect during the entire Duquense game. A total waste!
Old 09-26-2012, 09:47 PM
Colonel

Their Cancellation Instruction is full of IT!

Originally Posted by chriscage View Post
I paid my fifteen bucks for a September subscription to the CBS College Sports All Access feed. This resulted in almost 50% downtime for the Illinois State game and a "skipped vinyl record" effect during the entire Duquense game. A total waste!
Good luck trying to cancel! I finally called them at 800-781-9444.