Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Football

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-29-2011, 03:36 PM
Colonel

Flyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the rough
2012 Recruits

No need to wait until January for somebody from Michigan to start the 2012 Recruit Thread for the Flyers. There's news already.

Now if someone with clout would come along and make this a Sticky, I'll know where to find it all winter!
Mad Props to Flyer Gramps For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (11-29-2011)
Advertisement
Old 11-29-2011, 03:45 PM
Colonel

Flyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the rough
Cory Stuart, another Solon product

UD has made an offer to Cory Stuart, WR, 6'1", 170# from Solon High.

Stuart recently was named to the 1st Team Northeast Ohio (NEO) All-League team. Solon was a Co-Champ this year.

Two former Solon Comets are on the Flyer roster, Joe Janasek, LB and Jake Voigt, QB.

http://www.scoutingohio.com/index.ph...file&user=5960

Last edited by Flyer Gramps; 11-29-2011 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: added link
DetroitFlyer (12-30-2011)
Old 11-29-2011, 03:55 PM
Colonel

Jesse Stoudt, a tough LB

Barnesville High's Middle Linebacker, Jesse Stoudt, is 6'1", 220# and a load to bring down when carrying the ball. He's also a load to be hit with when playing MLB.

An avid blitzer & sacker, Jesse is inescapable when he gets his arms on a ball-carrier. He seems to have enough speed to play outside, but he was tackling small school Div.5 players. Don't think he would have a problem tackling anybody.

Besides Dayton, he has offers from Ashland, Ohio Dominican & Lake Erie.

http://www.scoutingohio.com/index.ph...7666&srid=9122
Old 11-29-2011, 04:19 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
For those who follow football more closely than I do... What are the positions that we really need to solidify in this recruiting class? Are there positions where a freshman might expect to play next year?
Old 12-12-2011, 10:21 AM
Colonel

Adam Bodrick - a fast, little WR

An offer was made to New Albany High's (Ohio) Adam Bodrick, a 5'10", 145#, WR/KR/DB.

He's probably too small for DB but he returns punts and kick-offs with the speed that only a few Flyers ever possessed.

http://www.scoutingohio.com/index.ph...temid=85&name=
Old 12-21-2011, 04:07 PM
Colonel

Mark Schubert - New Albany Big Guy

After making an offer to a small New Albany High Eagle, UD made an offer to a much larger Mark Schubert, 6'3", 225# OLB (DE).

Schubert also lists lacrosse as a spring sport, something showing up more & more in Ohio. He has an offer from Butler while his interest in West Point goes without an offer even after a visit there. He has a list of others that HE is interested in too.

Stay tuned for this one.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:04 AM
Colonel

Dan Cunningham

Holy Name High Schools Athlete Dan Cunningham has an offer from Dayton as well as Morehead State.

Cunningham looks good as a WR and kick returner with his speed & long strides. At 6'2" he could even add to his 185#. He can play some DB but his ball carrying & catching seems more interesting.

http://www.scoutingohio.com/index.ph...m816@yahoo.com
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer Gramps For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (12-30-2011), UDBrian (12-30-2011)
Old 01-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Colonel

Chris Connors - Big receiver

The receivers getting Dayton offers seem to be of good size.

Chris Connors is not quite "The Rifleman" size but he is 6'1" and 205#. At St. Eds in Cleveland he wore #7 and also played some Free Safety.

Chris is President of the National Honor Society and has other offers including Duquesne.
DetroitFlyer (01-10-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Colonel

Some Georgia Recruiting

Some offers have been made to recruits from the State of Georgia:

Jonathan Ford, Johns Creek, GA (Greater Atlanta Christian High)
.......................6'2", 216# OLB. He has 11 other offers?

Placid Ajoku, Powder Springs, GA (Hilgrove High)
.....................6'2", 224# DE
DetroitFlyer (01-11-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Captain

jmitch will become famous soon enoughjmitch will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Flyer Gramps View Post
Some offers have been made to recruits from the State of Georgia:
I think that you will see UD coaches hitting Georgia hard. With the entrance of Mercer into the PFL, high school footballers in the area are going to be introduced to PFL football. When they look at the PFL championship history, they are going to want to know what UD is all about.
Mad Props to jmitch For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (01-11-2012)
Old 01-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,452 Times in 781 Posts
DetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
QB

Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
For those who follow football more closely than I do... What are the positions that we really need to solidify in this recruiting class? Are there positions where a freshman might expect to play next year?
I have grown very concerned with our ability to recruit and land great QB's. The last to have been developed was probably Kevin Hoyng. We muddled through a season with Rob Florian and Jeff Pechan. Jeff never really seemed to fully develop, (although his injury may have played a part). Rob was OK, but he was not an FCS level, starting QB.... Our staff did not develop Tino. We had to lose to Division II Urbana and suffer QB "injuries" before Tino was pressed into service. Of course he was a great QB, but our coaching staff originally thought he would be more valuable as a receiver.... Last year we struggled through with Bardo. He was one of the very worst passers in all of FCS. Currently, we have a number of QB's on the roster, but I have heard several times that Bardo is the best of that group.... It will be interesting to see how things go in the future with Dave now retired. Bardo sure seems to have the tools, I just hope that he and the coaches can figure out how to use them much better. One thing seems clear to me.... If a PFL team is going to compete at the FCS level, the team must have a great QB. As we saw last year, a great running game simply cannot overcome a QB that cannot complete a pass.... PFL titles for our Flyers will become few and far between if we cannot get back to the Kevin Hoyng / Steve Valentino level of QB play, and our upcoming games with MVC teams could be very, very ugly.... With QB play like Kevin and Steve brought to the table, we could win those games and maybe even win a game of two in the playoffs. If our QB replay remains the same, we will continue looking up to the likes of Campbell....
Old 01-13-2012, 01:56 PM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
I was told they were trying to get John Gruden's son to come to UD (I believe he was a QB) and by the sounds of it, Coach Kelley thought he had a chance to be pretty darn good.

I have no idea where Gruden's son will end up landing in college (nor if he's a senior, junior or what) He was at the UD game when they were down in Jacksonville. Can't hurt that his uncle re-upped w/ the Bengals the other day, at least he'd have some family in the area.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:41 PM
Lieutenant General

DetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Deuce Gruden

Originally Posted by Medford View Post
I was told they were trying to get John Gruden's son to come to UD (I believe he was a QB) and by the sounds of it, Coach Kelley thought he had a chance to be pretty darn good.

I have no idea where Gruden's son will end up landing in college (nor if he's a senior, junior or what) He was at the UD game when they were down in Jacksonville. Can't hurt that his uncle re-upped w/ the Bengals the other day, at least he'd have some family in the area.
http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/x-r...uce-gruden.htm

http://carrollwood.patch.com/article...ing-qb-tandems

Looks like he is a junior or senior. In the link above he is listed at 5' 6" and 180 lbs. This site has him listed as a QB and SS. I think I have seen references to him playing some linebacker as well. Not sure that at 5' 6" he would be suited to an FCS QB position. He sounds like a great athlete and it would be cool to have him follow his dad to UD.
Mad Props to DetroitFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (01-13-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Captain

PIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura aboutPIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura aboutPIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura about
Introduction

Nothing really to say in the post other than hello. I am a UD fan and I just learned about this forum. I am looking forward to learning more information here and contributing on occassion.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to PIONEER 8 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (01-16-2012), jmitch (01-17-2012), ud69 (01-16-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 04:03 PM
Colonel

Welcome Aboard

Originally Posted by PIONEER 8 View Post
Nothing really to say in the post other than hello. I am a UD fan and I just learned about this forum. I am looking forward to learning more information here and contributing on occassion.
Welcome aboard, we need your support.

So what's with your user name?

Can you help chase & search & comment on football recruits? (we need to get the lowdown our-self, there is NO UD FOOTBALL RECRUIT NEWS!)

You forgot to give some info under the User CP link. Are you an Elmira Pioneer?

Gramps
Old 01-16-2012, 05:04 PM
Captain

PIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura aboutPIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura aboutPIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura about
Happy to try and provide any information that I might be able to accumulate. I have coached football in Ohio and I know a little bit about a few of the current Flyers but not much about any of the current 2012 recruits. I live in the Columbus area so I am more familiar with some the the players from Central Ohio but I follow high school football across the state and will pitch in where I can. I did see New Albany play this year and I see that there are two potential recruits from there. In general, New Albany is a well coached team that plays a tough brand of football. They have sent a few players to D1 schools over the past few years but I am not familiar with either of the players who mention Dayton on Scouting Ohio. If I learn something I will pass it on.
Mad Props to PIONEER 8 For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (01-16-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 05:08 PM
Colonel

Larson Graham...Big Tackle

UD made an offer to big man Larson Graham, 6'4", 275# from Wyoming High.

So did Butler & Valpo offer. 01/19 - Duquesne offers today!

Another lacrosse player...he's "too big" for lacrosse, no?

http://www.scoutingohio.com/index.ph...Itemid=85&name=

Last edited by Flyer Gramps; 01-19-2012 at 04:00 PM..
Old 01-17-2012, 09:30 AM
Lieutenant General

Miles Ashleman - ST JOHNS JESUIT HIGH SCHOOL

http://www.scoutingohio.com/index.ph...=MilesAshleman

First committment? Reported to be a 6' 2", 265 lb Defensive Tackle.
Flyer Gramps (01-17-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 09:53 AM
Captain

Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer View Post
http://www.scoutingohio.com/index.ph...=MilesAshleman

First committment? Reported to be a 6' 2", 265 lb Defensive Tackle.
Recruits were in this past weekend so some commitments should start to show up.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:54 AM
Captain

So did Butler & Valpo offer.

Could be a defender or a goalie. If he is a defender at that size it should indicate that he has good feet and cn move.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:04 PM
Colonel

Joe Hackett - O-Tackle

Phone ringing off the hook with Big Men. Must have been plenty of MLK Day visiting going on!

Joe Hackett, 6'5", 240# O-tackle from Dublin Coffman High has an offer from UD & Butler.

http://www.scoutingohio.com/index.ph...temid=85&name=
Old 01-17-2012, 05:15 PM
Captain

First, glad to see we are getting offers out to some big guys. I am biased but I think they are the foundation of any good football team.

Of the three linemen listed so far I like the Coffman kid the best for UD. First, I think that the other two might be a little bit generous with their listed heights but Hackett looks to be a legitimate 6'5" and at 240 he can fill out quite a bit. Also, if you watch the video, the other two seem to play for run first teams and are primarily drive blockers. They are very good drive blockers I might add. Coffman, on the other hand, runs a pretty complicated spread so Hackett should be able to pick up the system a little quicker (if you watch him on the film he appears to move pretty well).
DetroitFlyer (01-17-2012)
Old 01-18-2012, 09:17 AM
Colonel

Michael Gray...from Blue Ash, OH

Never been to Blue Ash but Sycamore High's OLB received an offer from UD.

Michael Gray, 6'2", 216# and very fast.

http://www.scoutingohio.com/index.ph...name=mannyg711
Old 01-18-2012, 09:18 AM
Lieutenant General

Rivals Site

http://dayton.rivals.com/quicklist.a...Year=2012&qs=1

Not sure if this link will work, but if you can get to the Dayton Flyers Rivals site, there is a way to get to football recruiting. There are a number of recruits listed there. It is interesting to see the "school lists" for some of the players.... No committments listed there yet. In past years, it seems rare that we end up with more than one or two of the players listed there.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:00 AM
Colonel

Brian Johnson...a Center of attention!

Remember when Paul Brown started the new Cinci Bengals? Wasn't his first pick a Center? Isn't it nice to have a big center? Well now, Davidson, Butler, Duquesne and Dayton all made offers to a big one!

Brian Johnson, 6'4", 285#, O-Center or DE from Olentangy High. (he's nearly a neighbor of PIONEER guy) Brian doesn't jump very high or far but he would break the recent mold of 6'1" centers. On the other hand, he does fit the mold for a DE! On the third hand, he may be on the other side of the field!

http://www.scoutingohio.com/index.ph...e=libertyoline
Old 01-18-2012, 10:24 AM
Colonel

Interest, Offers, Commitments & Mind Changes

http://dayton.rivals.com/quicklist.a...Year=2012&qs=1

Not sure if this link will work, but if you can get to the Dayton Flyers Rivals site, there is a way to get to football recruiting. There are a number of recruits listed there. It is interesting to see the "school lists" for some of the players.... No committments listed there yet. In past years, it seems rare that we end up with more than one or two of the players listed there.
Many on this list just show UD as an interest - maybe they received a flyer in the mail - and then added Dayton to their list when they registered with the site. An offer may never come.

Last night during games on ESPN network, the crawl had a football player and a basketball player who both decommited from their college choices - TWICE EACH ! Too many decisions made in haste. Awful lot of advice floating around to these young men. Lots of college coaches changing jobs. In searching American guys who have resumes posted for Eurofootball, so many have played in small schools unknown to me, have transferred (often down in ranking) and are still seeking to play football somewhere. It's not a wonder that our kids (Tino, JJ & Devon) were snatched up quickly. They have a nice clean record of football success & personal behavior along with education achievement at a single Div. 1 school and have degrees.
DetroitFlyer (01-18-2012)
Old 01-18-2012, 09:02 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,133 Times in 5,867 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Remember when Paul Brown started the new Cinci Bengals? Wasn't his first pick a Center? Isn't it nice to have a big center? Well now, Davidson, Butler, Duquesne and Dayton all made offers to a big one!

Brian Johnson, 6'4", 285#, O-Center or DE from Olentangy High. (he's nearly a neighbor of PIONEER guy) Brian doesn't jump very high or far but he would break the recent mold of 6'1" centers. On the other hand, he does fit the mold for a DE! On the third hand, he may be on the other side of the field!

Bob Johnson was that Bengal.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Captain

Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
Bob Johnson was that Bengal.
Love to see all of these linemen getting offers. I think the o-line is the foundation of the team and I get a little nervous looking at the losses we have (not to say that the players currently in the fold cannot get the job done but the more the better in my opinion). I did see Liberty play in person this year but I have to admit that, like most casual fans, I just followed the ball and did not focus much on the line play. In general, Libery is a very good program and made the playoffs 6 straight seasons (I think they are on a 2 year string of not making it) and their program typically turns out some tough kids.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:49 AM
Colonel

Chris Costa, a second center...hut-hut!

WOW! The Flyer cup runnith-over with Centers?

Chris Costa, 6'3", 275# O-Center has a UD offer to put alongside his Mount Union offer. The St. John's Jesuit (Sylvania) grad will have several choices of where to play.

UD also covering themselves because these two big centers have other attractive offers. Would you think that playing on the same team as Ashleman (UD's 1st commit) has anything to do with this?

http://www.scoutingohio.com/index.ph...e=ChrisCosta64

During the past 6 years, this is the most Big Men with UD offers that we ever heard of at this point (prior to signing day). This is a result of more boys submitting their profile & offers for public posting, not something that Dayton all-of-a-sudden decided to do. Coaches note that it is competitive out there and prefer to be secretive with other PFL schools. The internet plus a willingness to submit & share is changing all that secret stuff!

Last edited by Flyer Gramps; 01-20-2012 at 10:59 AM..
Old 01-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Colonel

Joe Dever, Big, Strong Safety

St. Edward High's big safety, Joe Dever, has been offered by Dayton & Butler.

Joe is 6'4", 215# and the second Eagle (also Chris Connors) to have an offer.

http://www.scoutingohio.com/index.ph...ser=5795&name=
DetroitFlyer (01-23-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 08:45 AM
Lieutenant General

One of the reasons that Jon Gruden was in town

http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/x-r...uce-gruden.htm

http://carrollwood.patch.com/article...ing-qb-tandems

Looks like he is a junior or senior. In the link above he is listed at 5' 6" and 180 lbs. This site has him listed as a QB and SS. I think I have seen references to him playing some linebacker as well. Not sure that at 5' 6" he would be suited to an FCS QB position. He sounds like a great athlete and it would be cool to have him follow his dad to UD.
this past weekend is reported to be a "football visit" with his son, "Deuce", or Jon Gruden Junior. It is reported that they had visited UD earlier when school was not in session. Jon wanted to bring him back to better experience UD and of course take him to a UD/Xavier basketball game. Something tells me that unless Deuce gets a full ride FBS offer somewhere, we have a great chance of seeing him on the sidelines next fall.... Even with other offers, one has to think that Dad could cover the cost of going to UD....
Old 01-24-2012, 08:49 AM
Lieutenant General

Lost him to....

So did Butler & Valpo offer. 01/19 - Duquesne offers today!

Duquesne.... Bummer.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:50 AM
Lieutenant General

Lost him to....

Davidson! Major bummer....
Old 01-24-2012, 08:59 AM
Colonel

Nick Cuthbert, SS/WR/LS/Smart Student

WOW! A football offer to a West Geauga High product! What do they think; are we looking for the BEST maple syrup?

Nick Cuthbert is a 6'1", 195# Strong Safety who can play some WR and make a Long Snap all the while pulling down a 3.94 GPA.

http://www.scoutingohio.com/index.ph...me=ncuthbert33
Old 01-24-2012, 04:50 PM
Colonel

Michael Gray...2nd commitment

"Houston, we have an OLB, the Flash from Blue Ash"!

This Sycamore High Linebacker, Michael Gray, excels at Under Armour Combines and has committed to UD so soon he'll try it on your campus! For 6'2", 216#, he's pretty fast! Here's his scout page:

But here's his Under Armour combine sheet from last spring in Cleveland:

http://combines.underarmour.com/football/combines/84

Better yet, here's a few weeks later at the National Underclassmen Combine in Cincinnati. Think this is where he gets his claim of Top 10:

http://www.nationalunderclassmen.com...CLID=205155496
DetroitFlyer (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 05:33 PM
Captain

"Houston, we have an OLB, the Flash from Blue Ash"!

This Sycamore High Linebacker, Michael Gray, excels at Under Armour Combines and has committed to UD so soon he'll try it on your campus! For 6'2", 216#, he's pretty fast! Here's his scout page:

But here's his Under Armour combine sheet from last spring in Cleveland:

http://combines.underarmour.com/football/combines/84

Better yet, here's a few weeks later at the National Underclassmen Combine in Cincinnati. Think this is where he gets his claim of Top 10:

http://www.nationalunderclassmen.com...CLID=205155496
Nice to see another committment. Decent size and speed. If you just look at the Under Armour numbers he does not appear to be that fast but when you look at all the times at that combine he is one of the fastest. I also notice that he was faster in the 40 than Blake Scipio (who I saw play this year and is very quick) so I think the National Underclassmen combine time is probably more accurate.
DetroitFlyer (01-24-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 05:39 PM
Colonel

Report of Losing two today

Joe Haskett was another of the Big Men that received offers from Dayton & Butler. Scouting Ohio reports that Joe, an OT from Dublin Coffman, has committed to Butler.

The other player has reportedly committed to Tiffin but his resume does not show it at this time. Jesse Stoudt was a LB from Barnesville.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:05 PM
Lieutenant General

Recruiting big lineman, especially offensive lineman, has been an ongoing struggle for UD. The monsters, 6' 7" 300+ pounds all seem to end up at athletic scholarship programs. We seem to get the 6', 245 lb guy ws that might get to 275 at the end of a 5 year career. I understand the Ohio guys going to Butler just like the Indy guys come to UD. You want to get away from home, but not too far.... Hopefully, we reel in some big guys of our own this year. Should be interesting when signing day comes next week....
Old 01-26-2012, 12:46 PM
1st Lieutenant

Always Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of light
Wanted to say hello to all of the folks on the forum. I've been trolling for over a year now and finally joined. I'm from the Columbus, OH area. So along with Pioneer 8, maybe I can add some perspective from that area.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Always Proud For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (01-26-2012), Flyer Gramps (01-26-2012), ud69 (01-26-2012)
Old 01-26-2012, 12:51 PM
1st Lieutenant

Always Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of light
Joe Haskett was another of the Big Men that received offers from Dayton & Butler. Scouting Ohio reports that Joe, an OT from Dublin Coffman, has committed to Butler.

The other player has reportedly committed to Tiffin but his resume does not show it at this time. Jesse Stoudt was a LB from Barnesville.
Butler has a edge in Dublin. I know at least one if not two of their coaches are graduates from Dublin schools. We will have to overcome that disadvantage to get some of those kids.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Always Proud For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (01-26-2012), Flyer Gramps (01-26-2012)
Old 01-26-2012, 12:56 PM
1st Lieutenant

Recruiting big lineman, especially offensive lineman, has been an ongoing struggle for UD. The monsters, 6' 7" 300+ pounds all seem to end up at athletic scholarship programs. We seem to get the 6', 245 lb guy ws that might get to 275 at the end of a 5 year career. I understand the Ohio guys going to Butler just like the Indy guys come to UD. You want to get away from home, but not too far.... Hopefully, we reel in some big guys of our own this year. Should be interesting when signing day comes next week....
Personally I think recruiting in this area will change depending on what scheme we go offensively. The smaller / quicker types were okay for the spread. If we ever want to be a power team, we have to get the big bodies to come. Seems like in the past, converting d-linemen to 0-linemen was a option. Always scary during warm-ups to see the size advantage of the other teams over UD's. There is really no reason for this to be happening.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:01 PM
Colonel

Jacob Milne - Big Lineman but Big School interest

At Fairfield High in Hamilton, OH is a big lineman named Jacob Milne.

For several reasons I intend to follow this name - "jacob" -because he does not show much on Scouting Ohio but today he pops up on the Orange & Blue.com site in Illinois as having an offer from Dayton. He wasn't on there yesterday? Why would Illinois know more than Ohio sites? He has interests much beyond PFL; like Big Ten! Why did this offer get reported from Dayton when we never see offers to those with interest in big D-1 programs? Maybe he wants to commute!

BTW, Jacob Milne is an OL, 6'4", 260# and wants to play guard. He snapped the ball from center for every single Fairfield play last year and was also a long snapper.
DetroitFlyer (01-26-2012)
Old 01-27-2012, 09:44 AM
Lieutenant General

UD Bound!

UD has made an offer to Cory Stuart, WR, 6'1", 170# from Solon High.

Stuart recently was named to the 1st Team Northeast Ohio (NEO) All-League team. Solon was a Co-Champ this year.

Two former Solon Comets are on the Flyer roster, Joe Janasek, LB and Jake Voigt, QB.

http://www.scoutingohio.com/index.ph...file&user=5960

Cory is reported to have committed to UD!
Old 01-27-2012, 02:46 PM
Captain

Scout86 has a spectacular aura aboutScout86 has a spectacular aura aboutScout86 has a spectacular aura about
recruits

More recruits being shown around campus this weekend for official visits
Mad Props to Scout86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (01-27-2012)
Old 01-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Lieutenant General

Owen Williams, RB, Lake Forest, Illinois

http://lakeforest.patch.com/articles...llege-football

Running back commits to UD over Drake.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:50 PM
Lieutenant General

http://www.macon.com/2011/11/08/1776...oundation.html

One of the best and most honest articles I have seen relative to PFL recruiting.
Flyer Gramps (01-27-2012)
Old 01-27-2012, 03:59 PM
Lieutenant General

Any

Originally Posted by Scout86 View Post
More recruits being shown around campus this weekend for official visits
extremely athletic, 6' 7" 330 lb offensive lineman?
Old 01-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Lieutenant General

WR/DB UDBound

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/recruiti...its-to-dayton/
Old 01-29-2012, 05:34 PM
Captain

extremely athletic, 6' 7" 330 lb offensive lineman?
A number of recruits and familes joined some of the UD coaching staff at the bball game last night. None, that big, but some good sized kids nonetheless.
Mad Props to jmitch For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (01-29-2012)
Old 01-29-2012, 07:09 PM
Colonel

Matt Stepanek from Aurora commits

Aurora High's DE, Matt Stepanek, has committed to UD's offer.

Matt is 6'3" and 250#.

http://www.scoutingohio.com/index.ph...MattStepanek72
DetroitFlyer (01-29-2012), PIONEER 8 (01-30-2012)
Old 01-31-2012, 07:57 AM
Lieutenant General

Say it ain't so....

this past weekend is reported to be a "football visit" with his son, "Deuce", or Jon Gruden Junior. It is reported that they had visited UD earlier when school was not in session. Jon wanted to bring him back to better experience UD and of course take him to a UD/Xavier basketball game. Something tells me that unless Deuce gets a full ride FBS offer somewhere, we have a great chance of seeing him on the sidelines next fall.... Even with other offers, one has to think that Dad could cover the cost of going to UD....
http://www.tampabay.com/hometeam/blo...fayette/12565/

Deuce commits to Lafayette.... Might be good for RC and company to not have this type of distraction, but I was really hoping he would follow his Dad. Has to be a story here.... I do not think that Lafayette is in the business of recruiting 5' 6" playes on a routine basis.... Maybe Deuce did not want the pressure of playing in his Dad's shadow.

Last edited by DetroitFlyer; 01-31-2012 at 08:36 AM..
Old 02-01-2012, 09:12 AM
Lieutenant General

Signing Day! Although UD as a non-athletic scholarship program does not participate in the LOI program, many players will be "signing" today for football. There are a couple of big offensive lineman reported for UD over at Lurking Dog's site. I have meetings today, so I will probably not be able to catch up until after work this evening. We should be able to locate more commits today by google, "commits to Dayton football" or "signed with Dayton football" seem to work well....
Always Proud (02-01-2012)
Old 02-01-2012, 09:27 AM
Colonel

Decommit - Recommit - make up your mind

So glad today is finally here.; both because we'll begin to learn more about future Flyers and that incessant ESPN crawl with all the decommits & recommits will soon end. Isn't it getting rediculous for so many 2 & 3 star kids? Last night only one was just committing (the kid from Glenville High - to Iowa) and the rest were recommits.

Is it that they verbal to an early program that fawns over them and a later recruiter offers sound advice that the kid never had or considered?

One thing about UD recruits, 70% carry 3.0 GPA and all are available to sound advice. Go Flyers! Go BIG Flyers! Go FAST Flyers!

The year of the linemen!!! AGILE - MOBILE- HOSTILE
Old 02-01-2012, 10:29 AM
1st Lieutenant

Aurora High's DE, Matt Stepanek, has committed to UD's offer.

Matt is 6'3" and 250#.

http://www.scoutingohio.com/index.ph...MattStepanek72
Wonder if he will be converted over to offensive line? From experience I know a kid may be recruited for one position and by the time fall camp comes around, ends up at another. Would be a nice size for a guard.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Colonel

Hoping for BIG things

Originally Posted by Always Proud View Post
Wonder if he will be converted over to offensive line? From experience I know a kid may be recruited for one position and by the time fall camp comes around, ends up at another. Would be a nice size for a guard.
Watching Stepanek's highlights, he's pretty good at DE. Hate to lose his speed & tackling ability there.

We do have a chance for two 6'4" guys, 260# and over, that have not yet been seen on this thread. Maybe they are "offensive" enough. We have lost all the 275# & over boys! But it still remains "the year of the BIG men"!

Aurora High School's Matt Stepahek to Dayton

Tim Warsinskey, The Plain Dealer, February 01, 2012 10:57 p.m.
Matt Stepahek
Aurora
Tackle
6-3, 250
Stars: Not rated.
Dayton
Comment: Blocking grade was 93 percent; did not allow a sack or tackle for loss.

Last edited by Flyer Gramps; 02-02-2012 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: added PD story
Old 02-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Captain

Just looking at Scouting Ohio and looks like we lost Graham from Wyoming to the Duquesne Dukes.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:59 PM
Colonel

Greg Harrison - Avon High

Here's a late Wed. afternoon commit posted by the Plain Dealer from Avon, OH that was never heard before:

Greg Harrison, 6'1", 230# FB/TE/DE. Now that's a football player size who can be molded into a position of need. No video available.
DetroitFlyer (02-01-2012)
Old 02-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Colonel

My 4:00pm List

Miles Ashleman, St.John's Jesuit, DE, 6'2", 265#
Michael Gray, Sycamore, OLB, 6'2", 216# (Under Armour guy)
Joe Bodnar, Madeira, WR/DB, 5'9", 170#
Jacob Milne, Fairfield, OG, 6'4", 260#
Jimmy Vogel, Colerain, 6'3", 270#
Cory Stuart, Solon, WR, 6'1", 166#
Matt Stepanek, Aurora, DE, 6'3", 250#
Owen Williams, Lake Forest, IL, RB, 6'210#
Greg Harrison, FB/TE/DE, Avon, 6'1", 230#
Nathan Sudnick, West Chicago community High, LB/TE/DE/RB, 6'2", 235#
Parker Fair, Greater Atlanta Christian, DT, 6'1", 225#
Andy Carfagna, North Hills (Pittsburgh), DE/OG, 6'4", 240#
Zach Deitrick, Upper Saint Clair (PA), LB, 6'1", 215#
Robert Delaney, Loyola (Chicago), OL/C
Michael Scott. Loyola (Chicago) DL
Chris Hagan, East Lansing, LB, 5'11", 200#
Spencer Luallen, Upper Arlington, C, 6'3", 270#
Chris Costa, St.John's Jesuit, C/DT, 6'3", 275#
Ryan Schwenke, Solon, DB/SS, 6'1", 180#

Last edited by Flyer Gramps; 02-09-2012 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: added Sudnick, Fair, Carfagna, Deitrick, Delaney, Scott, Hagan, Luallen, Costa, Schwenke
Old 02-01-2012, 04:43 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Here's a pic of Milne from today. Big dude on the left

http://cmsimg.cincinnati.com/apps/pb...&Maxh=465&q=60

Last edited by ud69; 02-01-2012 at 04:51 PM..
Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Old 02-01-2012, 06:45 PM
Lieutenant General

Nathan Sudnick

http://www.ncsasports.org/football-r...ng/il/oak-park

http://www.ncsasports.org/football-r...nathan-sudnick

Position: Linebacker, Tight End, Defensive End, Running Back
Old 02-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Colonel

Solon's Cory Stuart makes PD news

Solon High School's Cory Stuart to Dayton

Bob Fortuna, The Plain Dealer, February 01, 2012 5:01 p.m.
View full size
Solon's Cory Stuart is a Dayton recruit - (Lonnie Simmons III/The Plain Dealer)

Name: Cory Stuart
High school: Solon
Position: WR
Height, weight: 6-1, 174
Stars: Not ranked (average of recruiting rankings from Rivals.com and Scout.com)
College: Dayton
Comment: Flyers got a good one. Had 32 receptions for 441 yards and six touchdowns and also collected 38 tackles with two interceptions on defense. Runs the 40 in 4.55 seconds and has a 32-inch vertical jump.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Lieutenant General

Georgia Defensive Lineman!!

http://norcross.11alive.com/m/node/100704

Parker Fair

Last edited by DetroitFlyer; 02-01-2012 at 08:55 PM..
Flyer Gramps (02-02-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 09:10 AM
Colonel

Parker Fair, the wrestler

There's enough about Parker Fair that he may grow on you.

His school, Atlanta Christian, doesn't offer info, not even names on the few photos because it is "Private Information". But Google has no such head wind and the first video of Parker Fair we viewed was a 220# wrestling match. He lettered 3 years in football & wrestling.

Then the football highlight from his senior season and the first scene he runs down a breakaway RB on the far side of the field! He is more than just fair in my book!

He's #77 and is 6'1", 225# (fairly normal for UD)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyJ6tkCIuos
Old 02-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Lieutenant General

OT - Jacksonville

http://jacksonville.com/sports/colle...-signing-class

The Dolphins will also benefit from the addition of several spring transfers:

1. Trammel Williams, offensive line transfer from the University Of South Carolina, 6-3, 285, Lee High School, Jacksonville

2. Steven Hues, quarterback transfer from the University of Delaware, 6-3 210, Melbourne Palm Bay High School

3. Dylan Bostick, offensive line transfer from Appalachian State, 6-6, 295, Fletcher High School, Neptune Beach, Fla.

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/sports/colle...#ixzz1lG9XQ29w

Well, JU is ramping up the recruiting as well.... The three transfers sound like they could be impact players. Impressive getting all three of these players from athletic scholarship programs.

I also like the way JU "acts" like an FCS school. They publish a signing day list just like all of the LOI schools, (have for years by the way). Frankly, one of the PFL's biggest problems has been an unwillingness to "act" like an FCS conference. As a league, we have worked very hard to send out a message that we are "different" to the point that many folks still think our players are paying full price to play football in our programs.... The lack of fan interest in our "different" conference is well documented. Hats off to JU for stepping up their game. PFL programs, take note!

For us Flyer fans, we have continue to scrounge various sources to "find" our recruits....
PIONEER 8 (02-02-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 04:04 PM
Lieutenant General

Upper Saint Clair LB heading to UD

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_779225.html

linebacker Zach Deitrick will attend Dayton.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DetroitFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (02-02-2012), PIONEER 8 (02-02-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Lieutenant General

Andy Carfagna heading to UD!

http://www.ncsasports.org/football-r...demy&commit=GO
Flyer Gramps (02-02-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Colonel

Zach Deitrick, a LB

linebacker Zach Deitrick will attend Dayton.
Zach Deitrick probably comes as a line backer at 6'1", 215#.

Last season at Upper Saint Clair he ran the ball 72 times for 518 yards & 10 TD's. He particpated in 44 tackles at LB.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Colonel

Andy C....a BIG guy from Pittsburgh

Andy Carfagna (just imagine a visiting announcer say that one) comes with a lot of awards. Don't know of another recruit at UD who attended ten camps!

At North Hills High (Pittsburgh), Andy played DE/OG/DT/OT and was the MVP of his team. He can join our class of Big Men at 6'4", 240#.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:15 PM
Captain

http://jacksonville.com/sports/colle...-signing-class

The Dolphins will also benefit from the addition of several spring transfers:

1. Trammel Williams, offensive line transfer from the University Of South Carolina, 6-3, 285, Lee High School, Jacksonville

2. Steven Hues, quarterback transfer from the University of Delaware, 6-3 210, Melbourne Palm Bay High School

3. Dylan Bostick, offensive line transfer from Appalachian State, 6-6, 295, Fletcher High School, Neptune Beach, Fla.

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/sports/colle...#ixzz1lG9XQ29w

Well, JU is ramping up the recruiting as well.... The three transfers sound like they could be impact players. Impressive getting all three of these players from athletic scholarship programs.

I also like the way JU "acts" like an FCS school. They publish a signing day list just like all of the LOI schools, (have for years by the way). Frankly, one of the PFL's biggest problems has been an unwillingness to "act" like an FCS conference. As a league, we have worked very hard to send out a message that we are "different" to the point that many folks still think our players are paying full price to play football in our programs.... The lack of fan interest in our "different" conference is well documented. Hats off to JU for stepping up their game. PFL programs, take note!

For us Flyer fans, we have continue to scrounge various sources to "find" our recruits....
Interesting post. I went to see what the Patriot League teams do in general as far as announcing signings and it is spotty (at least as of today). I picked them just because I think they are our closest kin in the non-scholarship arena. The Lehigh fans actually have the best site which shows the verbal commits for every school in the conference and links videos to each (someone did a lot of work).

One other interesting thing is that I was looking at schedules for 2012 teams and a lot of teams seem to be stepping up the calibre of competition. http://www.championshipsubdivision.c...012-schedules/ In addition to UD, Jacksonville opens with Georgia Southern, Morehead State is at Eastern Kentucky and Valpo starts with YSU.

Last edited by PIONEER 8; 02-02-2012 at 05:20 PM..
DetroitFlyer (02-02-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 09:49 PM
Lieutenant General

A couple of Chitown recruits

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...9470.htmlstory

Both from Loyola HS

Michael Scott Jr.

Robert Delaney
Old 02-02-2012, 11:27 PM
Colonel

Nate Sudnick w/stars

Nathan Sudnick

http://www.ncsasports.org/football-r...ng/il/oak-park

http://www.ncsasports.org/football-r...nathan-sudnick

Position: Linebacker, Tight End, Defensive End, Running Back
Overlooked in the excitement of Wednesday was the fact that there is a 2-star commitment in the group. Nate Sudnick, from West Chicago Community is a 6'2", 235# LB/TE/DE/RB listed on the Orange & Blue recruiting website as a 2-star athlete. Glad to see that!
DetroitFlyer (02-03-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Captain

Overlooked in the excitement of Wednesday was the fact that there is a 2-star commitment in the group. Nate Sudnick, from West Chicago Community is a 6'2", 235# LB/TE/DE/RB listed on the Orange & Blue recruiting website as a 2-star athlete. Glad to see that!
Looks like a good get for the Flyers. Watching the video I would guess that he will be more of D-end for us.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Lieutenant General

East Lansing's Hagan signs with Div. I Dayton

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/a...xt|FRONTPAGE|s

Nice find by Lurking Dog!
Old 02-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Lieutenant General

Schedules

Interesting post. I went to see what the Patriot League teams do in general as far as announcing signings and it is spotty (at least as of today). I picked them just because I think they are our closest kin in the non-scholarship arena. The Lehigh fans actually have the best site which shows the verbal commits for every school in the conference and links videos to each (someone did a lot of work).

One other interesting thing is that I was looking at schedules for 2012 teams and a lot of teams seem to be stepping up the calibre of competition. http://www.championshipsubdivision.c...012-schedules/ In addition to UD, Jacksonville opens with Georgia Southern, Morehead State is at Eastern Kentucky and Valpo starts with YSU.
The PFL is following the NEC model, (most likely at the prompting of the NCAA), for obtaining an autobid. The NEC decided to stop playing lower division games and to schedule games against traditional FCS conferences. The NEC "rulebook" actually requires all the teams except Bryant to play a full Divison I schedule. (Bryant is still transitioning from Division II). The PFL has already demonstrated that we can be competitive against traditional FCS teams. I am looking forward to better games and more wins going forward. Starting on 9/1/12, when our Flyers win a big one!
PIONEER 8 (02-06-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 12:34 PM
1st Lieutenant

proudpapa will become famous soon enoughproudpapa will become famous soon enough
I truly can't wait for the season to begin. We will keep an eye out on the schedule. It looks like the first game is on a Thursday August the 30th at Illinois State. The recruiting class looks pretty good and athletic. My son does not fill me in much, just what interactions he has during visits. He's been very impressed with those that he has hosted. So excited to see the red shirt freshman during the spring game so we can see what we will be working with come the fall.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Lieutenant General

ISU Game has been moved to

Originally Posted by proudpapa View Post
I truly can't wait for the season to begin. We will keep an eye out on the schedule. It looks like the first game is on a Thursday August the 30th at Illinois State. The recruiting class looks pretty good and athletic. My son does not fill me in much, just what interactions he has during visits. He's been very impressed with those that he has hosted. So excited to see the red shirt freshman during the spring game so we can see what we will be working with come the fall.
http://www.goredbirds.com/sports/m-f...tbl-sched.html

According to the ISU website, the game is now on 9/1/12 at 1:00 CST. The date you mentioned was the original date, but there were some stadium construction issues that delayed it until the first Saturday in September. Good news, as it will be much easier to get to a Saturday game rather than a Thursday game.... ISU finished the season ranked, so it will be a good test for our boys. I hope we are improved on every front from last season. I also enjoy the spring game to get that sneak peek into the fall....
Old 02-04-2012, 02:18 PM
Captain

Scout86 has a spectacular aura aboutScout86 has a spectacular aura aboutScout86 has a spectacular aura about
My son is home this weekend to stock up on snacks, the athletes he has hosted were all good size, nice kids for the most part......most were introduced to the hood!
DetroitFlyer (02-04-2012)
Old 02-06-2012, 08:46 AM
Captain

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/a...xt|FRONTPAGE|s

Nice find by Lurking Dog!
Sounds like a good kid. Wonder if Coach C appreciates the "grandfather" reference
Old 02-06-2012, 01:36 PM
Captain

Any one know when Spring practice starts and when the Spring Game will be?
Old 02-06-2012, 01:50 PM
1st Lieutenant

removed due to off topic of thread.

Last edited by Always Proud; 02-06-2012 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: moved to appropriate thread; off topic for thread
Old 02-06-2012, 03:18 PM
Colonel

Big Guy, Spencer Luallen

Back to recruits, Spencer Luallen, Upper Arlington (C) center, 6'3", 270# has committed. He's also about the third LS (long snapper) and he played HOCKEY and track! Now this Big Guy had offers from Valpo, Mount Union, Heidelberg, Ohio Northern; but accepted Dayton. Because of the Ghetto? Maybe he wants to start a UD hockey team? Who knows. Could be as simple as he wanted to play Div.1 football at a good academic institution. (pretty impressive that 72 out of last years 100+ footballers had 3.0 averages the fall semester!)

The timing sounds like he was one of the campus visitors a week or two ago. Usually takes about 7-10 days to get the scholarship offer from the Academics Dept. What we do know is that some of our other recruits who have highlight videos posted may get 200-1000 site hits by this time. Spencer stands at 2260 hits! A lot of people checked him out! Congrats to him and his decision, whatever was the reason.

http://www.scoutingohio.com/index.ph...&name=sluallen

Last edited by Flyer Gramps; 02-06-2012 at 03:21 PM..
Old 02-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Colonel

Finally, Chris Costa Commits

Twas Jan 20th we posted about an offer to Big Man Chris Costa, a Center/DT from St. John's Jesuit. Perhaps he had other visits or the UD office was slow with the offer - after all back then there were some bigger Big Guys who have since committed elsewhere. Why did he chose a Marianist school not a Jesuit? Now maybe that's where the Ghetto is important? Actually his other offer -Mount Union. But his teammate chose UD!

Here's part of the post from January:

Chris Costa, a second center...hut-hut!
WOW! The Flyer cup runnith-over with Centers?

Chris Costa
, 6'3", 275# O-Center has a UD offer to put alongside his Mount Union offer. The St. John's Jesuit (Sylvania) grad will have several choices of where to play.

UD also covering themselves because these two big centers have other attractive offers. Would you think that playing on the same team as Ashleman (UD's 1st commit from St. John's) has anything to do with this?

http://www.scoutingohio.com/index.ph...e=ChrisCosta64
Old 02-06-2012, 03:57 PM
1st Lieutenant

removed, off topic of thread

Last edited by Always Proud; 02-06-2012 at 09:43 PM..
Old 02-06-2012, 04:03 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
All football fans should hope that detroit flyer wins $100 million in the lottery. That would result in some significant improvements for ud football such as 'Detroit Flyer Field' or something similar
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
Always Proud (02-06-2012), DetroitFlyer (02-06-2012), Figgie123 (02-07-2012)
Old 02-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Captain

Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
All football fans should hope that detroit flyer wins $100 million in the lottery. That would result in some significant improvements for ud football such as 'Detroit Flyer Field' or something similar
I better have a suite named after me...
Old 02-06-2012, 05:52 PM

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Fercryanout loud, Proud,...

Originally Posted by Always Proud View Post
Okay this is not directly a recruit subject, but was just wanting to rant. As I watched the Super Bowl and events leading up to it my old mind got to wondering. I know from experience, Butler uses the Colts, NCAA HQ, Reebok HQ, NCAA b-ball tourney, Nike sponsor, etc. for why kids should go there. I'm sure Davidson, Jacksonville, San Diego all use the nice weather and other variables to their advantage. This is just a few.

Now what does Dayton really have to offer other than the school? The Ghetto would be the only draw. IMO we need something to offer that peaks the youngsters interest as a deal maker/tie breaker.

Granted we can show off the nice arena (b-ball), Baujan (soccer), and what do we have for f-ball? A crappy stadium with no logo's cause we share it with the city, no game day atmosphere, off campus, cramped locker room. I guess my point is it time the school steps up and builds something on campus? I know this is a ongoing pro's and con's topic. But, as I asked. What besides academic's can we offer to make/break the deal. The university seems to have enough to build other buildings. Plus think of all the money 105 players spend in tuition just to extend a dream.
UD does not use a "crappy stadium". Perfect? No. But, "crappy"? No way.

What the hell difference does a logo make? Many FBS schools share a stadium with NFL teams and it's the NFL logo everywhere. The new playing surface at Weclome is as good as it gets. About $2 million was spent a few years aago to spruce up the facility. Welcome is way above average among non-scholarship FCS faccilities.

Locker facilities could be improved as could a few other things. Some day, somehow UD may decide to do something about that.

As for making/breaking the deal....in addition to academics, the deal maker is a visit to campus, hopefully on a nice day. The kid in the article found by Lurking Dog visited in drab January and said the campus "sold him".....he'd seen nothing like it in his visits elsewhere.

Moreover, football players are athletes.....they are influenced and impressed by a school's athletic facilities generally. And UD's are very good and always improving. The renovations to the Cronin Athletic Center are, from what I hear and have seen in renderings, very impressive. UD never stops improving and adding to its athletic facilities. Within a few years a building adjacent to the Baujan Field will be removed and UD is already talking about the vacated land being used to imrpove Baujan facilities....I'm guessing a new building will be built for lockers, etc.

Bottom line re FB: UD plays non-scholarship FB at the level of the better Ivies. That's as good as that level of play gets. That fact and everything else that UD has to offer makes the school a great choice for any kid. That's what "closes the deal".
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (02-06-2012), PIONEER 8 (02-07-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 06:35 AM
1st Lieutenant

Any one know when Spring practice starts and when the Spring Game will be?
Practice is scheduled for March 18th and game April 22nd at 1:00. If this is supposed to be secret info, I will remove this response.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Always Proud For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (02-07-2012), Flyer Gramps (02-07-2012), PIONEER 8 (02-07-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 09:11 AM
Captain

students

What we really need to do is get more students to the games ! last year when I spoke with Adrienne Green there was a possibility of building a student section in the end zone and I know they have tried promotions to get the students out more. I'll email her today to see if anything has been done in the off season.
DetroitFlyer (02-07-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Colonel

Ryan Schwenke, another Solon Comet

O.K., it's not a roaring river but a nice stream of boys from a very good public school football program up north. The PD today reported that Ryan Schwenke, DB/SS, 6'1", 180# has committed. Ryan was 2nd team All-Ohio, he's a good baseball player and likes snowboarding.

So Schwenke & Cory Stuart from this years recruiting class join Joe Janasek & Jake Voigt on the Flyer roster. They all follow fellow Comets Steve Valentino & Coach Kevin McCoy. Nice trend!

BTW, the two new footballers from Comet-land are not the only to sign. Paige Yaeger, committed to the Women's Track Team. She won All-Ohio Honors last season as a junior in 3 events.

http://www.scoutingohio.com/index.ph...file&user=6104

Last edited by Flyer Gramps; 02-07-2012 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: forgot link
DetroitFlyer (02-07-2012), UDBrian (02-07-2012)
Old 02-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Colonel

Our Recruit List

For the benefit of new guys, we’re about normal for knowing recruit commits at this time. Currently we know 19 recruits out of a usual total of 25-35 guys – last year 32, 2009 28 recruits. Hopefully there will be more than 1-WR, 0-QB and more than 2-DB. Last year was thin on OL; was that why Coach called it a “Brainy Bunch? (Just kiddin). This is definetly the Year of the Big Men. Can’t help but wonder how it goes out there without an official OC on the staff?

Each season of late more of the UD type recruit (smaller body, smarter, good family income) participate in sending his info to websites or social media; then the more we can find. Waiting for UD to announce takes much patience. They are fearful of another PFL team stealing a verbal recruit (a bit like tOSU doing to others this year) and with the number of Ohio boys going to Morehead & Butler & Davidson we can see why the caution. On the other hand, we’ve lost our big size targets to other FCS schools in Ohio & the east not PFL foes. Anyway, in 2009 the DDN ran the recruit list on May 5th, last year on May 12th and in 2010 there never was one issued by the school or newspaper.

So keep us posted if you learn anything and we’ll wait for UD Football’s announcement.

As of March 18, 2012 (26 men)
Miles Ashleman, St.John's Jesuit, DE, 6'2", 265#
Michael Gray, Sycamore, OLB, 6'2", 216# (Under Armour guy)
Joe Bodnar, Madeira, WR/DB, 5'9", 170#
Jacob Milne, Fairfield, OG, 6'4", 260#
Jimmy Vogel, Colerain, 6'3", 270#
Cory Stuart, Solon, WR, 6'1", 166#
Matt Stepanek, Aurora, DE, 6'3", 250#
Owen Williams, Lake Forest, IL, RB, 6'210#
Greg Harrison, FB/TE/DE, Avon, 6'1", 230#
Nathan Sudnick, West Chicago Community High, LB/TE/DE/RB, 6'2", 235#
Parker Fair, Greater Atlanta Christian, DT, 6'1", 225#
Andy Carfagna, North Hills (Pittsburgh), DE/OG, 6'4", 240#
Zach Deitrick, Upper Saint Clair (PA), LB, 6'1", 215#
Robert Delaney, Loyola (Chicago), OL/C
Michael Scott. Loyola (Chicago) DL
Chris Hagan, East Lansing, LB, 5'11", 200#
Spencer Luallen, Upper Arlington, C, 6'3", 270#
Chris Costa, St.John's Jesuit, C/DT, 6'3", 275#
Ryan Schwenke, Solon, DB/SS, 6’1”, 180#
Brandon Wallace, Milford (MI), RB, 6'1", 203#
Connor Bland, Sacred Heart-Griffin, IL, TE/DE/QB/FB, 6'4", 230#
Zac Morgan, New Lenox, IL, OT, 6'6", 295#
Kyle Sess, Sycamore, RB,5'8", 175#
Luke Welsh, South Newton High, IN, QB, 6', 175#
Christian Cartwright, Cleveland Hts High, OLB/SS, 5'10", 205#
Brett Bass, Avon Lake, 5'11", 185#, DB/KR

Last edited by Flyer Gramps; 03-18-2012 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: highlite Big!, added Wallace, Bland, Morgan, Sess, Welsh, Cartwright, Bass
DetroitFlyer (02-14-2012), PIONEER 8 (02-09-2012)
Old 02-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Captain

As of last night there are 28 recruits that have commited
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Scout86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (02-10-2012), proudpapa (02-10-2012)
Old 02-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Colonel

Let's open the list

Originally Posted by Scout86 View Post
As of last night there are 28 recruits that have commited
I know what you mean and I heard that too.

...and the missing 9 are named.......?

They are from......?

Their position, height & weight are ......?

Any offensive backfield guys?

Is there a kicker in our group?

Don't hold back guys. let 'er rip with news! This could be the earliest release of recruit names ever! History awaits your next post!

The Year of the Big Men is upon us. I'm getting ezxcited. I am excited!
Old 02-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Lieutenant General

Brandon Wallace

I heard from a very reliable source that another Milford, MI player is joining the Flyers!

Brandon Wallace. Played RB/FS and a bit of linebacker. Very fast and very athletic.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Colonel

Brandon Wallace, RB

O.K. then, let's check Brandon Wallace, Milford High, (Highland, MI)

He's a good running back, runs with the speed that a 200#'r could have and can catch a ball. He's 6'1", 203#. A newspaper writer called him "a pure warrior on the hardwood and the gridiron".

We're lucky we got Brandon before our basketball team. A week or two ago he stole an inbound pass, drove for the winning layup at the buzzer. A few games before that he hit the winning basket with a short jump shot. Think his round-ballers have only one loss.

Last edited by Flyer Gramps; 02-10-2012 at 04:55 PM..
chriscage (02-10-2012), DetroitFlyer (02-10-2012)
Old 02-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Colonel

All points bulletin

APB - looking for info on Placid Ajoku, a DE from Hillgrove High in Powder Springs, GA (Atlanta).

I posted a month ago about UD making an offer and have checked twice a day since without news. My Google goes to Placid when I type a "P". He had offers from Charleston Southern & Lafayette. At 6'2", 224# and with some speed he would be nice to have. Three of his teammates have signed LOI and 4 others are still open.

Anything you can learn about this recruit should be posted here. no reward offered.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/illinois/foo...Himj0lNRvwOrF_
Old 02-14-2012, 09:55 AM
1st Lieutenant

MichiganFlyer60 is on a distinguished road
Good morning

I'm new to the board. Hope to add to future discussions

Go Flyers
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to MichiganFlyer60 For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (02-14-2012), Flyer Gramps (02-14-2012), proudpapa (02-15-2012), ud69 (02-14-2012)
Old 02-14-2012, 11:22 AM
Lieutenant General

Connor Bland

http://www.sj-r.com/sports/x16767214...sin-Whitewater

Another good find by Lurking Dog. You have to read through the entire article to find Connor. Good sized kid that sounds very athletic, (reported to have played QB, TE and DE)!
Old 02-14-2012, 04:02 PM
Colonel

More about Connor Bland

Thanx Dog & Detroiter for the lead on Connor Bland from Sacred Heart-Griffin High in Spingfield, IL. The Cougars have a long record of great football teams and several players from last season will play in college.

Now where exactly will Connor play should be fun for our coaches. He was a TE, DE, bit of FB & backup QB! His height is 6'4", weight 230# and running with the ball looks strange, that is, the ball is so tiny in his arm!

He announced his commit on Feb. 5th but it takes over a week by Pony Express to make it here. Speaking of ponies, I saw a few today on simulcast & hit a tri. While away on winter vacation Grandma brought her laptop for me!

Happy Valentines Day! (drink up Grandma)
Old 02-16-2012, 08:44 AM
Captain

Rainy Thursday here in Ohio, Rumor has it Zach Splain has decided to give up football !
Old 02-16-2012, 08:56 AM
1st Lieutenant

proudpapa will become famous soon enoughproudpapa will become famous soon enough
I believe that to be accurate. My son advised that there are only three quarterbacks working out. I haven't seen any that were committed to coming to UD in the fall. My son had hosted one but I do not know if he is committed or not. Will Bardo, Jake Voigt and Luke Johnson are the three.