Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-27-2017, 03:46 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

flyerfever is a splendid one to beholdflyerfever is a splendid one to beholdflyerfever is a splendid one to beholdflyerfever is a splendid one to beholdflyerfever is a splendid one to beholdflyerfever is a splendid one to behold
Intro press conference

AM was impressive. Plenty of positive references to his time at UD.
Posted via Mobile Device
Advertisement
Old 03-27-2017, 03:47 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

flyerfever is a splendid one to beholdflyerfever is a splendid one to beholdflyerfever is a splendid one to beholdflyerfever is a splendid one to beholdflyerfever is a splendid one to beholdflyerfever is a splendid one to behold
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2017, 03:48 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

He will be interviewed on Big network shortly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2017, 04:00 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyerfever View Post
AM was impressive. Plenty of positive references to his time at UD.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yep, he was fine. I've come to realize though, if our coach doesn't pass away, get fired or is told that by AD that he should accept another offer, they will be hated by an abnormal amount of the Flyers' fans.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:55 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,412 Times in 2,484 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
I found it interesting that Archie said in the 6 years at Dayton, Indiana was the only school he talked to.

I would take from that comment that schools called every year (and I think the proper protocol is they place the call to Sullivan asking to talk to Archie about their opening), but Archie and Morgan thought about those inquiries and declined to interview/talk to any of them. I've always felt his commitment to UD was genuine and that his list of schools he would leave for was a short list. But it is amazing he never even talked to or considered any opportunity in 6 years. There had to have been requests to interview him every year for the last 4 years or more.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (03-27-2017), UD90 (03-28-2017), Viperstick (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 04:59 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,080 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
I found it interesting that Archie said in the 6 years at Dayton, Indiana was the only school he talked to.

I would take from that comment that schools called every year (and I think the proper protocol is they place the call to Sullivan asking to talk to Archie about their opening), but Archie and Morgan thought about those inquiries and declined to interview/talk to any of them. I've always felt his commitment to UD was genuine and that his list of schools he would leave for was a short list. But it is amazing he never even talked to or considered any opportunity in 6 years. There had to have been requests to interview him every year for the last 4 years or more.
So you are saying that he took the first offer that came along?
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDEE79 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-27-2017), jack72 (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 05:01 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDEE79 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Probably the first offer from a school on his short list.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDEE79 (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 05:04 PM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by UDEE79 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
DDN was over there taking pics, the family walking in . But Morgan with a fake smile and Leah looked ****ed
Old 03-27-2017, 05:06 PM
Major

Gem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant future
Look, Archie will always be held in high esteem by almost every Flyer fan for what he was able to accomplish here. Leaving for a new opportunity won’t change those feelings or those great memories. I thank Archie for what he has done the last four years and I wish him all the best.

Having said all that, I’m not an IU basketball fan. I really don’t care about the future of IU basketball. I certainly don’t want to read multiple stories from our local media about the future of IU basketball. I also think it was silly that three local reporters went to IU to cover Archie’s press conference. The vast majority of Dayton fans will never care about the future of IU basketball unless for some reason UD would be playing IU.

With all of that said, the sooner we can hire a new coach and move on to talking about the future of UD basketball the better.

Last edited by Gem City; 03-27-2017 at 05:38 PM..
9 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gem City For This Totally Excellent Post:
Atlantic 10 (03-27-2017), CJ2etc (03-27-2017), flyerfever (03-27-2017), Lifelong Flyer Fan (03-27-2017), TerryK_67 (03-27-2017), troj (03-27-2017), TXFlyerFan (03-27-2017), UDBaby (03-27-2017), Zeke (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 05:07 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute

There was communication between Archie's camp and Florida's for sure. The way Archie spins it, things seemingly never got far enough along to where he would classify it as having talks though. But make no mistake about it, Archie was willing to talk to them. For whatever that's worth.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:20 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Not a lot of happiness in this pic.

2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Atlantic 10 (03-27-2017), UDEE79 (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 05:24 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,563 Times in 944 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Didn't he have an agent that would filter inquiries before they get to AM?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2017, 05:42 PM

Thanked 17,162 Times in 5,119 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
I remember Brian Gregory's presser when hired for GT. He looked like his tie was strangling him to death and he wanted out of that room as quickly as possible. One of the most painful things I ever watched. You could see the only thing on his mind was Dayton. Youngest daughter was born in Dayton. Baptized right there in the UD chapel. The city meant a lot to him.

The nice thing about Dayton is you can be the King of Dayton in terms of basketball coach and own the key to the city, but people are nice enough to more or less leave you alone. Standing in the checkout line at Arbys, you might get a "hey Arch, go Flyers!" but that was it. I think Archie very much appreciated his relative privacy here -- but more importantly the willingness of the fan base to allow him to have that privacy. He wasnt a supernatural God. He was just Archie the ball coach.

In Bloomington it will never be that way and that life is now over. Not a better or worse life, but a different life. He is going to have to sign 10 t-shirt backs, hold 3 babies, and take 5 selfies every time he pumps gas in that town as long as he wins basketball games. As an introvert, Im not sure that's his favorite thing to do. It takes a small act of God just to get him to crack a smile. He can do it, and he will do it. But he'd rather be left alone -- we all would.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
"Yeah....220, 221, whatever it takes." - Jack Butler (Mr. Mom)
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-27-2017), flyerfever (03-27-2017), Glen Clark (03-31-2017), LI Flyer (03-27-2017), MikeFlyer (03-28-2017), moville (03-28-2017), Radar (03-28-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 05:44 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,773 Times in 936 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
Didn't he have an agent that would filter inquiries before they get to AM?
Posted via Mobile Device
He doesn't have an agent. I agree that the family looked very sullen in the photos. First thing I noticed.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:06 PM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Gem City View Post
Look, Archie will always be held in high esteem by almost every Flyer fan for what he was able to accomplish here. Leaving for a new opportunity won’t change those feelings or those great memories. I thank Archie for what he has done the last four years and I wish him all the best.

Having said all that, I’m not an IU basketball fan. I really don’t care about the future of IU basketball. I certainly don’t want to read multiple stories from our local media about the future of IU basketball. I also think it was silly that three local reporters went to IU to cover Archie’s press conference. The vast majority of Dayton fans will never care about the future of IU basketball unless for some reason UD would be playing IU.

With all of that said, the sooner we can hire a new coach and move on to talking about the future of UD basketball the better.
That's what I told Bedell on Twitter. His response was it was news worthy, please
Old 03-27-2017, 06:26 PM

Thanked 4,302 Times in 1,764 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
I remember Brian Gregory's presser when hired for GT. He looked like his tie was strangling him to death and he wanted out of that room as quickly as possible. One of the most painful things I ever watched. You could see the only thing on his mind was Dayton. Youngest daughter was born in Dayton. Baptized right there in the UD chapel. The city meant a lot to him.

The nice thing about Dayton is you can be the King of Dayton in terms of basketball coach and own the key to the city, but people are nice enough to more or less leave you alone. Standing in the checkout line at Arbys, you might get a "hey Arch, go Flyers!" but that was it. I think Archie very much appreciated his relative privacy here -- but more importantly the willingness of the fan base to allow him to have that privacy. He wasnt a supernatural God. He was just Archie the ball coach.

In Bloomington it will never be that way and that life is now over. Not a better or worse life, but a different life. He is going to have to sign 10 t-shirt backs, hold 3 babies, and take 5 selfies every time he pumps gas in that town as long as he wins basketball games. As an introvert, Im not sure that's his favorite thing to do. It takes a small act of God just to get him to crack a smile. He can do it, and he will do it. But he'd rather be left alone -- we all would.

I attended Archie's press conference when he was hired. He looked like a deer in the headlights. He looked so different today.

He is an introvert, but he has learned how to work a crowd and say the right things.

I agree that the whales in the larger programs might be a real issue for Archie. Realistically, he is a very smart man and I think he is preparing for that.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:41 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hawkoooo View Post
He doesn't have an agent. I agree that the family looked very sullen in the photos. First thing I noticed.
Picture says a 1000 words........but typically, you could have 500 suggesting one thing and another 500 the diametrically opposite. My point is, don't read too much into the family's facial expressions and/or body language at a publicized press conference.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-27-2017), ruechalgrin (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 06:49 PM
Major

Bucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond repute
I don't live in the area. What sports related story do you think generated more interest than Archie's press conference today?

There are still people that mention BG every time he sneezes. If you're going to get angry and whine every time Archie gets mentioned or because others disagree with your shunning mentality, I thing you're just setting yourself up to be a whole lotta angry and whiny.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:09 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting that Archie was introduced in Assembly Hall by the AD who said they did not want to "devalue" the arena with an NIT home game this year. Archie will be on a very very short leash.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:13 PM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Even if he steals our top recruit(s)?
Old 03-27-2017, 07:25 PM
1st Lieutenant

UD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
Even if he steals our top recruit(s)?
If he steals one recruit, then uhhh NO!
Mad Props to UD_Earl For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud69 (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 07:26 PM

Anyone know if Sean took any X recruits when he left? It might give us a clue as to what to expect.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:31 PM
1st Lieutenant

UD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SLUFLYER View Post
Picture says a 1000 words........but typically, you could have 500 suggesting one thing and another 500 the diametrically opposite. My point is, don't read too much into the family's facial expressions and/or body language at a publicized press conference.
Well, I am fairly certain that his wife and daughter were very happy in Dayton. It had become their home. Sounds like he made this decision on his own. His dad certainly did not know. What is wife supposed to say? Boom, life is up-ended and here we are in Bloomington.

They got to enjoy a great life with great friends here in Dayton. King and Queen and Princess of the City. That is over. That's not easy. I really feel for his wife and daughter. Probably was not their decision. Everything changed in their life on Saturday. Kinda sad...
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD_Earl For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (03-28-2017), ud69 (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 07:34 PM
1st Lieutenant

Sitdowndigger has a spectacular aura aboutSitdowndigger has a spectacular aura aboutSitdowndigger has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by UD_Earl View Post
Well, I am fairly certain that his wife and daughter were very happy in Dayton. It had become their home. Sounds like he made this decision on his own. His dad certainly did not know. What is wife supposed to say? Boom, life is up-ended and here we are in Bloomington.

They got to enjoy a great life with great friends here in Dayton. King and Queen and Princess of the City. That is over. That's not easy. I really feel for his wife and daughter. Probably was not their decision. Everything changed in their life on Saturday. Kinda sad...
....and still could have been a top 10 paid coach with our counter per DDN
Old 03-27-2017, 07:43 PM

Every 6-18 year old kid does not want to leave their friends, but the younger the more easy it is to bounce back once they are settled.

I'm sure Morgan knew Archie's short list of schools he would leave for. And I'm sure she would support the move, but also is kind of caught between her husband and child at the moment, so she is probably supportive and in agreement, but feeling for her daughter. She also knows she will carry the load to get the house on the market and managing the move. No one I know looks forward to that.

John liked X a lot when Sean was there. I'm sure he feels the same about Dayton. He knows any job change is a risk. Parents always worry about their kids. Love them. Believe in them. But also worry.

Archie accepted the job and mentally has moved on to the task and excitement ahead of him once he said goodbye to the team. It takes longer for those around him to catch up to that excitement. I wouldn't read too much into a couple snapshots.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfever (03-27-2017), Radar (03-28-2017), ruechalgrin (03-27-2017), ud2 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 09:09 PM

Thanked 9,814 Times in 4,075 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Unless Morgan wants to go catch a W2...Archie gets to call the shots with his coaching career. If not, he gets the Pat Kelsey reputation and will never see a P5 job.
Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 09:40 PM
Major

Donniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ud69 View Post
Not a lot of happiness in this pic.

Leave AM's family out of this. It's got to be tough moving every some years after you have established home and friends. I'm not a IU fan but will certainly pull for AM and his family. He gave UD his all and I am very apprecitive of his efforts.
On the the next coach...Go Flyers!
Old 03-27-2017, 09:43 PM
Colonel

Anyone know if Sean took any X recruits when he left? It might give us a clue as to what to expect.
One went to Arizona with him, he was from the Bronx. I don't believe he sign at X, I might be wrong
Mad Props to Atlantic 10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-28-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 10:01 PM
Major

Flyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond repute

Lets see we have Shawn and caliparri getting their input in and Morgan and Leah told what a good wife should do. Go out and buy some bib overalls, straw hat along with a mouth harp. He did what they told him to do and he will have to live with It.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:36 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,285 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post

Bob Ross (Archie) and Elizabeth Diamond (Morgan)...that was it. No Sunday morning TV rehash and a few Monday night grip-n-grins at Frickers w/ Larry. He got the backdoor pass to the Pine Club and you know and I know...he loved it that way. We didn't care, because we wanted a basketball coach, a basketball coach who took our team places we've not been in generations. That won't be the case for him going forward. IU cherishes its former players like no other school. Those who don't go on to pro careers, and even those who do, settle in the Indianapolis area and are there for every game. They will all want a piece of Archie. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:55 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,012 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you think it's really pretty naive to assume you or anyone knows the relationship between Archie and his wife or any basketball coach and their wives and what goes into their decisions regarding anything including their next job? For all you know Morgan could have said no way are we leaving or, rather, presented far more pro's to staying here. Or she could have said F___K YES, let's get to Bloomington !!

Either way Archie was going to be making 3 mm a year next year at UD, coaching a great school and program, getting to coach a crazy 6'11" talent next year, along with a **** good recruiting class coming in. That all ain't so bad to be able to fall back on......And that's still with OSU looming in the not-to-distant future, maybe Louisville, and who knows whatever other schools open up..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
MNFats (03-28-2017), SLUFLYER (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 07:58 AM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,005 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Atlantic 10 View Post
One went to Arizona with him, he was from the Bronx. I don't believe he sign at X, I might be wrong
took one
Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 09:30 AM

Thanked 4,302 Times in 1,764 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Watching the video yesterday felt like watching a video of your ex girlfriend's wedding.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-28-2017), wes (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 09:54 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,367 Times in 537 Posts
MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Don't you think it's really pretty naive to assume you or anyone knows the relationship between Archie and his wife or any basketball coach and their wives and what goes into their decisions regarding anything including their next job? For all you know Morgan could have said no way are we leaving or, rather, presented far more pro's to staying here. Or she could have said F___K YES, let's get to Bloomington !!
Thank you. I was actually starting to get kinda p***ed off reading some of these posts. People pretending to know the private conversations of Archie and Morgan. Absolutely ridiculous. Get over yourselves people.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to MNFats For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-28-2017), flyerfanatic86 (03-28-2017), Glen Clark (03-31-2017), jack72 (03-28-2017), SLUFLYER (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 01:34 PM

Thanked 6,178 Times in 4,206 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Sean poached 2 incoming X recruits...I looked it up last night.

Kevin Parrom signed a NLI, he asked for and received a release from X and then went to Arizona.

Kryl Natchyenko, spelling might be wrong, did not sign at X, but he was definitely being recruited very hard by X. I bet he would have wound up at X had SM stayed. Kryl followed SM to Arizona. He might have verballed to X.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:20 PM
Captain

Windy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud of
I'm not going to pretend to know what his family is thinking. I can tell you that the enormity of the task is great. Bloomington is half the size of Dayton Ohio. You live and breathe IU basketball whether it's the first practice, seeing the new recruits, in season, post season or recruiting. You can't escape Indiana basketball. Add to the unrealistic expectations they place on coaches and it's life in the biggest fish bowl you've ever seen. It's no different than what Cal faces at UK . You'll get feedback from donors, former players, fans, the media, casual fans, the priest at Sunday mass, your daughter's gymnastic coach and more. Arch is a 39 year old head coach of arguably the most significant program in all of college sports. I look forward to seeing how this plays out for him. I wish him nothing but success.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:10 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,012 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
And IU is still a "great" job. Every freakin' one of the Power 5 jobs want you to win, need you to win, and expect you to win . There is no easy expectation or a simple way to put it when being explained by the president or AD.IU comes from a ton of history under a historical coach. They have won 3-4 titles, they made another title game in the 2000's, were #1 in the country 3-4 years ago, multiple NBA top ten picks, and won the BIG a year ago..

Archie is a different cat than many of these guys. He's a true basketball Jones and his intensity and will to succeed is beyond normal even for a high level NCAA coach. I don't think you'll ever find a more confident person anywhere than this dude..He comes from an origin few can associate with (Harbaughs can) with a highly successful dad as a coach, a highly successful brother from a regular season standpoint coaching a top team, and there's a part of Archie that wants that/ needs that/ breathes that.
Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 03:26 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,165 Times in 2,722 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
Archie is scheduled to be on Mike and Mike (via phone) at 9:00 Wednesday morning if anyone cares.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:30 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,461 Times in 612 Posts
UD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond repute
Short List

Here is what I had always heard were the items it would take to pull him away.

1.) P5 - Basketball first school
2.) Rich Tradition (National Titles)
3.) Great fan base
4.) Money and support to win national titles
5.) Traditional Top 10 Powerhouse

In my mind that only leaves a handful of options:

Duke, UNC, Syracuse(?), Arizona, Louisville, Indiana, UCLA(?), Kentucky

Also - heard Ohio State, but that doesn't fit Basketball first.

Only one of those was an option this year. I figured we would lose him when Pitino stepped down. I didn't think IU was ever going to fire Crean because of cost. When it happened I figured he was gone unless they went after Alford (which it sounds like they didn't).

He would be crazy not to take the IU job.

Last edited by UD90; 03-28-2017 at 07:12 PM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD90 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bucketnight (03-28-2017), Phi Psi Flyer '09 (03-28-2017), SeasonTicketFan (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 04:35 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,743 Times in 798 Posts
UDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Windy City Flyer View Post
I'm not going to pretend to know what his family is thinking. I can tell you that the enormity of the task is great. Bloomington is half the size of Dayton Ohio. You live and breathe IU basketball whether it's the first practice, seeing the new recruits, in season, post season or recruiting. You can't escape Indiana basketball. Add to the unrealistic expectations they place on coaches and it's life in the biggest fish bowl you've ever seen. It's no different than what Cal faces at UK . You'll get feedback from donors, former players, fans, the media, casual fans, the priest at Sunday mass, your daughter's gymnastic coach and more. Arch is a 39 year old head coach of arguably the most significant program in all of college sports. I look forward to seeing how this plays out for him. I wish him nothing but success.
Good Luck with the locals Archie.....

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Mad Props to UDBaby For This Totally Excellent Post:
moville (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 04:40 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDBaby View Post
Good Luck with the locals Archie.....
They aren't going to be happy when they find out Archie never play's zone.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-29-2017), UDBaby (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 04:48 PM
Major

Bucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic 10 View Post
That's what I told Bedell on Twitter. His response was it was news worthy, please
Originally Posted by UD90 View Post
Here is what I had always heard were it would take to pull him away.

1.) P5 - Basketball first school
2.) Rich Tradition (National Titles)
3.) Great fan base
4.) Money and support to win national titles
5.) Traditional Top 10 Powerhouse

In my mind that only leaves a handful of options:

Duke, UNC, Syracuse(?), Arizona, Louisville, Indiana, UCLA(?), Kentucky

Also - heard Ohio State, but that doesn't fit Basketball first.

Only one of those was an option this year. I figured we would lose him when Pitino stepped down. I didn't think IU was ever going to fire Crean because of cost. When it happened I figured he was gone unless they went after Alford (which it sounds like they didn't).

He would be crazy not to take the IU job.

I agree completely.

Not that my thoughts mean anything but I also thought Louisville would be Archie's next stop. The reasoning being the same. Kansas also needs to be on your list. I don't know that I would include Syracuse only because I think they could follow a similar path as UConn with their next coach.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:07 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,461 Times in 612 Posts
UD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond repute
Yes - Kansas. I knew I was forgetting one. I also would have bet on Louisville until they finally bought out Crean.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:43 PM

Thanked 1,170 Times in 508 Posts
MD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Archie is scheduled to be on Mike and Mike (via phone) at 9:00 Wednesday morning if anyone cares.
Who's Archie?
Old 03-28-2017, 10:29 PM

Thanked 10,176 Times in 5,904 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by C-time View Post
They aren't going to be happy when they find out Archie never play's zone.
They will be happy. Remember some coach they had a while back refused to play zone.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:33 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
They will be happy. Remember some coach they had a while back refused to play zone.
I wasn't referring to Indiana. I was responding to the "Hoosiers" movie clip where all the townies tell Coach Dale all they've ever played is 2-3 zone and thats all that will work this year.
Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (03-31-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 07:45 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Class of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to behold
Archie is going to be on Mike and Mike at 9:05 if anyone is interested...