» Advertisement

Article Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Impressions At An Exhibition
Published by Swampy Meadows
11-05-2017

DAYTON (OH) -- The UD Flyers kicked off the 2017-18 men's basketball season in the newly and partially renovated UD Arena with an exhibition win over Ohio Dominican. With all due respect to their opponents the score was rather inconsequential, but there were enuf flashes of brilliance from multiple players to bode well for AG and company as they prepare for the liftoff of their regular season. Rather than bore you with a blow-by-blow description of the game action, "FTS" is gonna focus on some impressions that I took away from Edwin Moses Boulevard.

-- The new scoreboard and sound system in the arena are fantastic. Old friend John R said of the scoreboard "If you can't see that thing, you're blind." John wasn't happy that the cupholders had yet to be installed in his section near the tunnel where the players come out. Same old John.

-- The crowd was 'Ready to Rumble' when Michael Buffer implored them to do so. The combination of the new player intro video with the enhanced sound system made for a truly seat shaking experience.

-- Don and Ken May are in the house.

-- Tom Archdeacon from The Dayton Daily News said he first met AG when Grant was a 15 year old HS sophomore in Miami where Arch was toiling at the time. Tom was shooting the breeze with AG's HS coach Shaky Rodriguez at a practice when Shaky said he wanted Arch to meet the future of his program and called young Anthony over and introduced him to Tom. 30-something years later, here they are.

--Said hello to Matt Schwade from FlyerHoops.net and asked how he was doing. "Horrible" he replied. I thought maybe one of his kids was sick and asked what was wrong. Matt pointed to the OSU/Iowa score on his iPhone. Ouch.

-- The crowd audibly oohed and ahhed when Kostas spun and dunked for his first college hoop. They did likewise when he blocked his first shot.

-- To no ones great surprise, Kostas' name does not fit on the halftime stat sheet.

-- Josh Cunningham is gonna be da man this year.

-- AG actually started the game off with his suitcoat on. Every picture I have ever seen of Coach Grant features him coatless and sporting a crisp white dress shirt. Why bother AG?

-- Coach Grant was asked what is different about the Arena since his playing days. He replied "It's louder and hotter. Thankfully, as a player I didn't have to wear a suit to the game."

-- I asked AG what he was thinking as he walked down the tunnel and out on to the Arena floor for the first time as UD's head coach. "It's good to be home."

-- Anthony was a freshman when Flyer legend Roosevelt Chapman was a senior and led UD to the Elite Eight. I told AG that he always reminded me of a mini-Chap and asked him if he patterned his game after Velvet. "That's a compliment. Yeah, I would imagine I stole a few of his moves."

-- I asked Coach Grant about Matej Svoboda, who came to UD with a reputation mostly as a long distance shooter, but who showed an all around game tonight. He said "He is a guy for a freshman with the experience he's had playing overseas he knows how to play the game, he understands the game. He's got great versatility."

All in all, a pretty good new beginning.

That's it "From the Swamp."
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools

Article Tools