Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-10-2017, 02:56 PM
Captain

The Price is Wright is infamous around these partsThe Price is Wright is infamous around these partsThe Price is Wright is infamous around these parts
Jack Gibbs ref charge

We were at the game. Can somebody explain Gibbs aggressive ref charge? I thought I saw a mask throw across the court as well. I wanted to know if anything was said on TV. McKillop got into charging the ref as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2017, 03:02 PM
2nd Lieutenant

BoiseFlyer is just really niceBoiseFlyer is just really niceBoiseFlyer is just really niceBoiseFlyer is just really nice
Gibbs got hit in the face, but refs let it go after review. He threw his face mask and stayed laid out, with no consequence. Dayton was in transition and got a three, so they were both mad because game didn't stop. Davidson flopped so often it finally caught up with them IM O.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BoiseFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (03-10-2017), TerryK_67 (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 03:03 PM
2nd Lieutenant

BoiseFlyer is just really niceBoiseFlyer is just really niceBoiseFlyer is just really niceBoiseFlyer is just really nice
Just prior to that Gibbs took another shot and was woofing at UD fans and bench.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:12 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 2,208 Times in 974 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
T

Originally Posted by BoiseFlyer View Post
Gibbs got hit in the face, but refs let it go after review. He threw his face mask and stayed laid out, with no consequence. Dayton was in transition and got a three, so they were both mad because game didn't stop. Davidson flopped so often it finally caught up with them IM O.
Throwing of the mask should have been a Technical Foul. Automatic. No debate.
BeckysTXA (03-10-2017), ruechalgrin (03-10-2017), runnerup (03-10-2017), UDTradition (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 03:15 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MrFlyerFanatic View Post
Throwing of the mask should have been a Technical Foul. Automatic. No debate.
I doubt any ref saw him throw the mask since when he did it the play was down the other end of the court.
Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 03:29 PM
2nd Lieutenant

And they didn't notice it while reviewing the play?
Mad Props to BoiseFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 03:30 PM
2nd Lieutenant

All that said, Gubbs WAS nails. Gotta give him his due
Mad Props to BoiseFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 03:31 PM
Lieutenant General

CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BoiseFlyer View Post
And they didn't notice it while reviewing the play?
I don't think they were reviewing that.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:49 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think if they saw it on review it would've mattered. If rollo taught me anything with his You Make the Call series, it was that something like that has to be witnessed by one of the on-floor officials in order to be a foul. It's not a push on another player, which would be reviewable.
Mad Props to priceg75 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 03:54 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't get that upset about technicals not called. They are too much of a non basketball play gift that if you can't win a game without them, not sure you deserve to win one with or because of them.

Last edited by Smitty10; 03-10-2017 at 04:05 PM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Buster Goode (03-10-2017), CT Flyer (03-10-2017), rollo (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 03:55 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
I don't get that upset about technicals not called. They are too much of a non basketball play gift that if you can't win a game without them, not sure you deserve to win one with them.
Totally agree!
Old 03-10-2017, 04:06 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
I don't get that upset about technicals not called. They are too much of a non basketball play gift that if you can't win a game without them, not sure you deserve to win one with or because of them.
How did I know I'd get a "thanks" from the royal ref on this one? Now, if he thanks me on my Pollard thread, I probably would faint.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 06:23 PM

Thanked 10,133 Times in 5,867 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Play does not stop for injury unless your team has the ball, or a player is in danger. Neither occurred, so correct call by refs.

The replay clearly showed that Gibbs was barely hit in the chest and flopped. The announcer said the ref told him as much. Should have been a T for the flop and one on somebody for all the demonstrative show by Gibbs and the coach.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 06:31 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Let's straighten this out from the first responder who was a little wrong about what exactly happened.

Gibbs was setting a screen on Pollard and as he fought through the screen his hand/forearm hit Gibbs in his neck area. Gibbs then threw his head back like he had been hit in the face and then fell down(FLOP). UD got the ball and play continued until after the UD made 3. Gibbs went nuts while play was on the other end and threw his mask into the bench. McKillop went nuts on the refs. The refs reviewed it and saw no flagrant. The refs would have had to have seen the mask throw at the time it happened to call a T. They can't do that from the monitor.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:48 PM
Lieutenant General

I've read on this board that we don't match up well against a Davidson type of team that has a guard(s) that can shoot from the outside and create their own shots. This I don't understand because we have two first team defenders that play perimeter players.

I've also read on this board that we don't match up well with teams that are big and physical because they beat us up inside and on the glass. This I understand a little more because of our lack of size.

But my question is what type of a team do we match up well against? Only ones with much less talent than us? Just wondering.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-10-2017), Smitty10 (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 07:25 PM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
I've read on this board that we don't match up well against a Davidson type of team that has a guard(s) that can shoot from the outside and create their own shots. This I don't understand because we have two first team defenders that play perimeter players.

I've also read on this board that we don't match up well with teams that are big and physical because they beat us up inside and on the glass. This I understand a little more because of our lack of size.

But my question is what type of a team do we match up well against? Only ones with much less talent than us? Just wondering.
Mildly athletic teams that cannot handle the ball, turn the over a lot, and have no outside game so the Flyers can pack it in.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:32 PM
Colonel

MikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by C-time View Post
Gibbs then threw his head back like he had been hit in the face and then fell down(FLOP).
Back and to the left...back and to the left...

Selfishly, I wish the referees would have called technicals on Gibbs (for getting mouthy with the referee) and McKillop for going bonkers, too. Calls there would have swung the momentum even further in Dayton's direction, and it seems like antics like theirs in those two situations generally earn technical fouls. I'm all for letting a player or a coach engage in some discussion, but those antics seemed beyond that. I'm sure others will argue the referees showed great restraint by not injecting themselves into the game and ensuring the game's settled by the players.

It reminded me of an article a few years ago about a preseason gathering Major League Soccer (MLS) holds each season. They invite select individuals from all the groups: players, coaches, referees, etc. At this particular session a referee asked a star US player, "Why do you treat us the way you do, being demonstrative and getting in our faces and the like?" The player answered, simply, "Because you let us." As any referee, official, or umpire can tell you "last week's ref" is arguably your worst enemy. If "last week's ref" doesn't punish behavior, you're the jerk when you do.
Mad Props to MikeF For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 10:07 PM

Thanked 17,098 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post

I find Davidson and Richmond difficult defensive matchups for an otherwise good defensive team like Dayton because we play an agrressive defense that pressures tight and gets hands in passing lanes. Problem is Davidson uses our aggressive against us. Its like exploiting a football team with a torrid defensive front that mauls you at the line of scrimmage by throwing traditional and flanker screens to use their push at the line of scrimmage against them. Suddenly youve neutralized more talented players by using their talent to self destruct.

Dayton ball-watches. They want to cause a turnover, and lose their assignments by not staying disciplined and going for the cheese on the mouse trap. To beat teams like Davidson, tou have to do what is unnatural which is not worry about the basketball despite perhaps being only two feet from it, and worrying about your defensive mark 4ft away thats about to back door you when you turn your head.

Also, when Jack Gibbs is Jack Gibbsing, you dbl him and Aldridge abuses you one on one on a ball reversal iso with a man advantage.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-10-2017)