Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 10-23-2008, 03:05 PM
Major

UDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these parts
Cbssportsline.com (Garry Parrish Player Rankings) WINGS.

He list Chris Wright as #26th wing. Nice to see Wright get some love. Also no mention of _avier's Derrick Brown. Even Parrish knows that Chris Wright is the face of the A-10.
Advertisement
Old 10-23-2008, 03:48 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe this has already been posted, but Lindy's listed Wright as the 23rd best power forward in the country. Pretty good considering he played small forward last year. Brown was 11th.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Captain

SCFlyer will become famous soon enoughSCFlyer will become famous soon enough
I understand why, when talking about Chris Wright, we bring up Derrick Brown - he is an athletic wing player with incredible leaping ability. But, I am hoping Chris Wright will at least have the individual career of Derrick Brown. I mean, Chris Wright was rated WAY higher coming out of high school, and there was much more anticipation regarding Wright's recruitment. Additionally, Chris Wright's first year, statiscally, was better than Brown's as well.

I'm not saying Derrick Brown hasn't been an outstanding player for Xavier, but let's just leave him be. We have an absolute stud in Chris Wright. I don't really care how he compares to Xavier's top wing forward. I just want him to be great for us.

(I'm not just coming down on these two posters. We do it all the time with Wright and Brown.)
Old 10-23-2008, 04:40 PM

longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SCFlyer View Post
I understand why, when talking about Chris Wright, we bring up Derrick Brown - he is an athletic wing player with incredible leaping ability. But, I am hoping Chris Wright will at least have the individual career of Derrick Brown. I mean, Chris Wright was rated WAY higher coming out of high school, and there was much more anticipation regarding Wright's recruitment. Additionally, Chris Wright's first year, statiscally, was better than Brown's as well.

I'm not saying Derrick Brown hasn't been an outstanding player for Xavier, but let's just leave him be. We have an absolute stud in Chris Wright. I don't really care how he compares to Xavier's top wing forward. I just want him to be great for us.

(I'm not just coming down on these two posters. We do it all the time with Wright and Brown.)
I agree. I couldn't care less about Brown. The only reason I even mentioned him is because the first post mentioned him. I would take Wright any day over Brown.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:06 PM
Academy Doolie

XUFAN02 is infamous around these partsXUFAN02 is infamous around these partsXUFAN02 is infamous around these partsXUFAN02 is infamous around these parts
I think you will see Brown land on the Big men list. Wright is more of a Wing than Brown. Wright has a better handle than Brown and will likely play the wing. Brown will play the PF spot for Xavier.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:53 PM

Thanked 17,162 Times in 5,119 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
can you imagine either team with both.

jeesh.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
"Yeah....220, 221, whatever it takes." - Jack Butler (Mr. Mom)
Old 10-23-2008, 06:20 PM
Major

UDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
can you imagine either team with both.

jeesh.

Nope, But I CAN SEE Wright and Marcus Johnson, in my mind thats just as good.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:17 PM

ClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these parts
link?
Old 10-23-2008, 11:28 PM

AdamtheFlyer can only hope to improve
Originally Posted by XUFAN02 View Post
I think you will see Brown land on the Big men list. Wright is more of a Wing than Brown. Wright has a better handle than Brown and will likely play the wing. Brown will play the PF spot for Xavier.
I think Brown is a 'tweener. Not quite a PF, not quite a SF. In the A10 he'll do what he wants because he'll be that much better than all but a couple of players. He plays at a higher level...literally. About 12 feet up.

But against bigger conference teams he'll slide outside more because he'll create mismatches easier on the wing. His outside shot was much improved last year, and you'd have to expect it to have improved leading to this year. As great a player as he is, he's not played on the block a whole lot. Maybe he can do it well, but we don't know for sure at this point.

CW, OTOH, has the body to play inside vs anyone, but he lacks the perimeter game to hurt you outside. He just happens to be a freak athlete that can blow by you for a dunk, outmuscle you for a board, or do many things in between. If he shows he can score from 17-21 feet, he'll be one of the best players in the country. Same with Brown if he can prove he's a dump off, one on one, back to the bucket scorer.

Last edited by AdamtheFlyer; 10-23-2008 at 11:31 PM..
Old 10-23-2008, 11:41 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,618 Times in 5,097 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
I think Brown is a tremendous player, but he has a few weaknesses now. And I include his face-up game in that at the moment. He can rebound with the best. He has some outside shooting game, and he is devestating defensively with his long arms and great on the break. When people say he can blow by you to the hoop, that is where I get confused. I have never seen him do that against a half court defense. I watched him over the summer, and I think he has trouble putting a move on a defender using the dribble. I saw him try to drive to the hoop over and over again against a set defense, but he just tried to run full speed by his guy without as much as a head fake, thinking that he was going to run right through his man for a dunk. And he got himself in trouble a lot being out of control and taking bad shots with a defender right on him. Now maybe in practice, his coach will develop something there before the season, but I was not impressed with that part of his game.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:44 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,043 Times in 451 Posts
Whacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond repute
I saw D Brown a few times this summer as well. He looks a lot more comfortable driving on the baseline as opposed to the top or corners of the key. Chris seemed more comfortable in that positon as well. Seems like defenders try and force them toward the endline and they just take off.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:02 AM
Captain

SCFlyer will become famous soon enoughSCFlyer will become famous soon enough
Boy, so my post may have had the opposite effect from what I intended. We compared the two players even MORE!

I'm kidding, it's fine, I understand the comparison, but I'm just saying I'd rather breakdown Chris Wright's strengths and weaknesses as opposed to a player from another team.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:53 AM

Thanked 15,915 Times in 6,996 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Chris Wright's greatest strengths are his 20" pythons!

By the time he's a senior, we could be twins!!
Old 10-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Colonel

smitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond repute

This avatar makes me nauseated everytime I see it. What on earth possesses people to do that to themselves???Yuck!
Old 10-24-2008, 11:58 AM
Academy Doolie

XUFAN02 is infamous around these partsXUFAN02 is infamous around these partsXUFAN02 is infamous around these partsXUFAN02 is infamous around these parts
I think Wright has the skill set to be a better pro than Brown. Wright already has a better handle and is more explosive than Brown. Wright can cross over a defender and blow by him. Brown has more length then Wright but he doesn't have that first step like Wright. Both Wright and Brown are improving perimeter shooters, so they are even in that regard. Brown has a Hakim Warrick body while Wright is built like LeBron. It will be nice to actually see them go head to head this season. Bottom line both are great players and should be their teams go to guy this season.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:19 PM
Major

I think Wright has the skill set to be a better pro than Brown. Wright already has a better handle and is more explosive than Brown. Wright can cross over a defender and blow by him. Brown has more length then Wright but he doesn't have that first step like Wright. Both Wright and Brown are improving perimeter shooters, so they are even in that regard. Brown has a Hakim Warrick body while Wright is built like LeBron. It will be nice to actually see them go head to head this season. Bottom line both are great players and should be their teams go to guy this season.

You are the only Xavier fan that gives Wright the props he should get. Lebron type body,
Quick first step.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:47 PM

Thanked 15,915 Times in 6,996 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
This avatar makes me nauseated everytime I see it. What on earth possesses people to do that to themselves???Yuck!
My wife wouldn't let me get a boob job.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:19 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

oldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
Agreed, I used to look like that but then I got smart and ditched the crew cut for a princeton.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:29 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute

When i saw the initial post, I thought the same thing. But I had to review all of the other posts first before i reiterated your initial thought. Was hoping it could be a Flyers fan to post it first.

I'd be shocked if DBrown wasn't on the PF list. He'll probably be higher than CW was on the Wing list.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by SLUFLYER View Post
When i saw the initial post, I thought the same thing. But I had to review all of the other posts first before i reiterated your initial thought. Was hoping it could be a Flyers fan to post it first.

I'd be shocked if DBrown wasn't on the PF list. He'll probably be higher than CW was on the Wing list.
I posted that Brown was 11th on the Lindy's PF list. I took it for granted he would show up on the CBSSportsline.com PF list. What was interesting was that Lindy's listed Wright as a PF as opposed to a SF.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:32 PM
Academy Doolie

Brown landed at the 11th spot on the cbssportsline.com big man list:

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/11058854
Old 10-27-2008, 04:22 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
I posted that Brown was 11th on the Lindy's PF list. I took it for granted he would show up on the CBSSportsline.com PF list. What was interesting was that Lindy's listed Wright as a PF as opposed to a SF.
I would probably list him (CW) as a PF too. Can't stroke the "J" well enough yet t be considered a true SF (3-man)