UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Poll Results: The Tarnished lack of defense Award goes to...
Sir Trey 1 pt 8 23.53%
Kostas 1 pt 4 11.76%
Crosby 1 pt 6 17.65%
DDavis foul trouble 16 47.06%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2018, 04:43 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,877 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Tarnished 'This defense is just horrible' Award - UMass

Between reffing 2 games this morning and 2 more this afternoon I was fortunate enough to get a good chunk of the game on radio and today's Award is not Golden for a reason and is named after a direct quote from none other than THE Bucky Bockhorn and is word-for-word from the 2nd half broadcast.

Now it's hard to say your defense stinks when you hold a team to 62 pts, so I'm just taking Bucky's word for it with respect to today's poll. God Bless Bucky Buckhorn...a UD Institution among Institutions.

Vote away...with so many potential winners (losers) this could be an interesting thread.

BTW, I have it on good authority that the last non-call was a good one so the refs are off limits today.

Last edited by rollo; 01-06-2018 at 04:45 PM..
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2018, 04:48 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,557 Times in 3,702 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
DD all the way

I absolutely can not stand his little head jerk / I got bumped and gonna make it look like they fouled me / someone just mugged me in the park move. 99% of the time the foul goes against DD when he pulls this faking/flopping crap like he did for his 3rd foul, just as it did today. I had no more than told my wife watch him pick up #4 right away as he pouts, and the whistle blows!
Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 04:51 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Has anyone else noticed that Darrell and Josh have been arguing a bit later? They did it on Wednesday when Darrell cut to the basket but Josh was about to pass it to him on the wing. Today, Darrell is mad and yelling after getting his fourth foul. Maybe things aren't happy in paradise?
Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 04:52 PM
General of the Air Force

ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
Has anyone else noticed that Darrell and Josh have been arguing a bit later? They did it on Wednesday when Darrell cut to the basket but Josh was about to pass it to him on the wing. Today, Darrell is mad and yelling after getting his fourth foul. Maybe things aren't happy in paradise?
I noticed it earlier in the game at the other end of the floor as well today
Old 01-06-2018, 04:55 PM
General of the Air Force

Stats don't lie. Despite Sir Treys lack of offensive production today (two of his missed shots were late in the shot clock), he was the only one to play decent defense. Trey was a +7 in his 30+ minutes on the floor today. The only other Flyer with positive numbers is Josh. Thanks for info Figgie
Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 07:02 PM

Thanked 10,134 Times in 5,868 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
I'll give the blame in the same order as I gave the credit last game. DD was the loser today because as a senior on a team with little bench, he took himself out of the game and contributed about zero in the second half. Landers finished second, as he was no part of the offense all day, and having as many rebounds as turnovers is not good. His effort was good, but the results of 31 minutes were one point.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:19 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I gave Darrell my vote for leading us in the win over the Bonnies but today was not a good day for Baby D. AG has been preaching consistency and we didn't get it from our senior leader.

The first half he made two 3 pointers in a row and played pretty good defense but the second half he played with no heart and emotion! Sad, because it was the opposite of the effort he gave Wednesday!

The player I felt sorry for is Jordan Davis. He played his heart out only to ride the pine at the end of the game! If he had been in the game with 19.5 seconds remaining I would have given him the ball and cleared out as he should be our go to guy because he is about the only one who can create his own shot.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:21 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Defense was fine. Rebounding wasn't. Post entry wasn't. Offensive execution wasn't.

Crosby was out there a long time and had a lot of zeroes associated with his name for most of it.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:29 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
I'll give the blame in the same order as I gave the credit last game. DD was the loser today because as a senior on a team with little bench, he took himself out of the game and contributed about zero in the second half. Landers finished second, as he was no part of the offense all day, and having as many rebounds as turnovers is not good. His effort was good, but the results of 31 minutes were one point.
Not trying to determine who contributed most to this loss, but I have to say this: Darrell’s 4th foul was as “phantom” a call as I’ve seen in awhile. Now, the refs didn’t cause us to lose the game. We did that on our own. But, on that foul call, Darrell was sliding to his left with his hands up, and the UMass player (Pipkins, I think) jumped into Darrell and recoiled like he hit a brick wall. Should have been a no-call.

BTW, I voted for Kostas because he didn’t seem to have a clue for much of the time that he was on the court today.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
fuz_forward (01-08-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 09:50 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Trey, Trey, Trey. He just stifles the offense. He can't penetrate, create a shot and is a marginal spot up shooter. The last play was emblematic of his deficiency. The ball went to him with little time left and he just burned valuable seconds. He's an ok garbage man , but given our challenged offense, he should not have played 31 minutes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to maddog07 For This Totally Excellent Post:
oldfan (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 11:19 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
DD, but not for his fouls.

Every game has a sequence in each half that includes a dumb shot, turnover, and foul. Today was no exception. He really hurt us in the final 3 mins of the first half. I'm thrilled to see him score like we thought he could. However, because of our team depth, he's on the floor a little too much. The freshman haven't earned AG's trust, so AG thinks he needs to DD in 35 min a game. DD thinks he alone has to make a play. The combination ends up with what we are experiencing.

After 15 games, this isn't any surprise. At some point, someone on the staff has to assess what is working, what is not.

Sooner or later, we'll start seeing a change.

Last edited by Jeff; 01-06-2018 at 11:22 PM..
Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (01-07-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 11:04 AM

Thanked 15,877 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
This team lacks Ball IQ...that's the bottom line!
Flyer 86 (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 12:00 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Some times it appears this team can't figure itself out either individually or as a unit.

I can't vote for any one individual on their latest escapade ....

Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-09-2018)