UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-17-2008, 03:57 PM

ClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these parts
Students Did Their Job.

I went to the home opener last night and I was VERY impressed by the students and did not think they would fill the entire student section and their block in the 400 section.

For all the huff and puff on this website about blocking out students they showed up and and filled it.

As for the so called "Blue Hairs" who have been clammering about ... that 100 section had plenty of empty seats. I was honestly shocked, the older people did not come out in full force, really there were lots of empty seats.

I was expecting the exact opposite, students dont fill, lower bowl is filled and I was wrong. I figure since all you "townies" start a thread when the student section isnt jam packed I would point out the other side.

Being an alumni it was an unbiased view and a fact, I wish I had my camera to take the pic of the lower bowl from my 400 level seats.

Not trying to start a war, just give the students credit when credit is due.
9 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClearTheRunwayForWLJ For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (11-17-2008), AFflyer (11-17-2008), Class of 73 Alum (11-17-2008), flyerfanatic86 (11-17-2008), IAFlyer (11-17-2008), LebronJames (11-17-2008), ud69 (11-17-2008), UDFLYERS2K (11-17-2008), zmz723 (11-17-2008)
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2008, 03:59 PM
Colonel

as_4 will become famous soon enough
I actually was just thinking the same about the students. The lower section was packed full and the 400 section was almost full of students...and in the 400 section they were standing!
Old 11-17-2008, 04:42 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 9,814 Times in 4,075 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ClearTheRunwayForWLJ View Post
As for the so called "Blue Hairs" who have been clammering about ... that 100 section had plenty of empty seats.
Were their seats paid for?

That's what I thought.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:52 PM

ClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these parts
Haha, great motto ... don't show up, just pay!

All I am saying is the students did their job and the others didn't, so they can stop complaining right now.

If the students show up for Wofford on a Sunday, they will be there every game ... I would bet on that.

Last edited by ClearTheRunwayForWLJ; 11-17-2008 at 04:54 PM..
Old 11-17-2008, 05:04 PM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute

All I am saying is the students did their job and the others didn't, so they can stop complaining right now.

If the students show up for Wofford on a Sunday, they will be there every game ... I would bet on that.
You might want to be careful whom you are trashing. The thread that opened with a picture of the almost empty student section was started by Chris R. I doubt if he would appreciate being called a "blue hair". I don't appreciate it either. Would the expression for a young person which would equate to a "blue hair" be a "young punk?"
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Fairborn Fan (11-17-2008), Tony T 71 (11-17-2008)
Old 11-17-2008, 05:13 PM
Captain

GetFlyeredup is infamous around these partsGetFlyeredup is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
You might want to be careful whom you are trashing. The thread that opened with a picture of the almost empty student section was started by Chris R. I doubt if he would appreciate being called a "blue hair". I don't appreciate it either. Would the expression for a young person which would equate to a "blue hair" be a "young punk?"
But wouldn't a "young punk" be more likely to have "blue hair"?
Mad Props to GetFlyeredup For This Totally Excellent Post:
CbusFlyer2010 (11-20-2008)
Old 11-17-2008, 05:16 PM
Major

LebronJames is a glorious beacon of lightLebronJames is a glorious beacon of lightLebronJames is a glorious beacon of lightLebronJames is a glorious beacon of lightLebronJames is a glorious beacon of light
I guess the only thing this proves from the student bashing thread is that:

A picture taken at an exhibition game, against D3 Capital, before the game even starts, without a picture of the rest of the arena for comparison, cannot and should not be used as substantial evidence.

Perhaps the students who said they considered homework and academics more important than an exhibition game are possibly smart, and not so much simply making up baseless excuses?

Students pay for their seats too.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:18 PM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GetFlyeredup View Post
But wouldn't a "young punk" be more likely to have "blue hair"?
That was good. But it would probably be blue AND pink.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:51 PM

shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LebronJames View Post
Students pay for their seats too.
30 bucks....

Originally Posted by ClearTheRunwayForWLJ
Those that didn't show in the 100's are paying the bills. Not the 30 dollar vouchers.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:03 PM

Yes, the students and their families paying 35k a year have nothing to do with money coming into the university.

As I said I was outta there in 03 ... as a commuting "blue hair" you gotta give them props. They showed up and stood up all the way into the 400's.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:16 PM

Yes, the students and their families paying 35k a year have nothing to do with money coming into the university.

As I said I was outta there in 03 ... as a commuting "blue hair" you gotta give them props. They showed up and stood up all the way into the 400's.
That's the point I am trying to make. That 35,000 was paid plus Master's Degrees x2 in this household as well, as it has by many of those "blue hairs". We have all contributed in one way or another. And it isn't as if all of us season ticket holders just fell into season tickets in the lower bowl.

Unless there are some facts to back it up, and I am just speculating here,I doubt much of that 35,000 is flowing into the hoops program. I have a good feeling they are doing just fine and fairly self sufficient.

Not trying to start a war either. You have free reign to call out the non-student season ticket holders if we complain as well. But the original posts from a month or so ago rubbed season ticket holders the wrong way when it definitely appeared as if there was an "expectation" by the U to take care of students because of the apparent self worth. You put 1200 students at 30 bucks a pop in the arena for 20 games and it isn't going to keep the lights on without the remainder of the Arena dropping 500-1200+ a seat.

You do your part being crazy. And we'll do our part $ wise. And we can all enjoy 5$ Miller Lites.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:51 PM

Thanked 3,160 Times in 803 Posts
John C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond repute
I sure Chris wouldn't mind being called a blue hair if it implied that he had hair.......

As I often siad as my hair fell out, "I don't care what collor it is, as long as I can comb it."
Old 11-17-2008, 07:19 PM

John R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by John C. View Post
I sure Chris wouldn't mind being called a blue hair if it implied that he had hair.......

As I often siad as my hair fell out, "I don't care what collor it is, as long as I can comb it."
Or in some cases find it.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:00 PM
Major

bigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud of
Looking down from my seats, its really hard to fathom how much people are paying for the center court 100 level seats and the number that are left empty. I would say they were about 2/3rds full.

If people want to waste their money, thats one thing. And I guess its good for the university. But it really would be nice that if those people can't make the game they give the tickets to someone who can.
Mad Props to bigred For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClearTheRunwayForWLJ (11-17-2008)
Old 11-17-2008, 11:02 PM

Thank you Big Red ... I was trying to say it like that and couldn't find the words.

To get back on topic, all I am saying is if they showed up and packed the entire student section and the 400 section for Wofford, it is a safe bet to say that they will be there every single game give or take a couple.

WHICH IS GREAT FOR UD!!

Now if everyone can get on the same page, that place will be rocking like times of old.

Good work kids.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:07 PM

Thanked 17,162 Times in 5,119 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
You should see my hair now! I have a mane! Havent cut it since December 30th.

My excuse to lunge out of my seat is legit. What can I say. Im kind of an important person.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
"Yeah....220, 221, whatever it takes." - Jack Butler (Mr. Mom)
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
College B-Ball Fan (11-22-2008)
Old 11-17-2008, 11:17 PM
1st Lieutenant

flyguy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
That's the point I am trying to make. That 35,000 was paid plus Master's Degrees x2 in this household as well, as it has by many of those "blue hairs". We have all contributed in one way or another. And it isn't as if all of us season ticket holders just fell into season tickets in the lower bowl.

Unless there are some facts to back it up, and I am just speculating here,I doubt much of that 35,000 is flowing into the hoops program. I have a good feeling they are doing just fine and fairly self sufficient.

Not trying to start a war either. You have free reign to call out the non-student season ticket holders if we complain as well. But the original posts from a month or so ago rubbed season ticket holders the wrong way when it definitely appeared as if there was an "expectation" by the U to take care of students because of the apparent self worth. You put 1200 students at 30 bucks a pop in the arena for 20 games and it isn't going to keep the lights on without the remainder of the Arena dropping 500-1200+ a seat.

You do your part being crazy. And we'll do our part $ wise. And we can all enjoy 5$ Miller Lites.
As silly as this thread is, I'm gonna have to weigh in. With out the student tuition money, there would be no students... No students=no university. No university=no UD basketball. No UD basketball=me sad.

Why are we arguing over who is sitting in which seats? We're always ranked high in attendance figures.
Mad Props to flyguy For This Totally Excellent Post:
College B-Ball Fan (11-22-2008)
Old 11-17-2008, 11:20 PM

AFflyer has a little shameless behaviour in the past
students pay for their seats, I know because I just got my loan bill in the mail today. The interest almost = the entire loan
Old 11-18-2008, 04:19 PM
2nd Lieutenant

addicted2flyers
After watching that game i've change my opinion. I feel like students show have MORE LOWER LEVEL SEATING!!! that's right, i said it. If you are going sit in the WAY TOP corner of the 400 level section in darkness and be on your feet the entire game then you should definitely be behind the opposing teams bench so can't hear themselves think in timeouts. When i came to UD we didn't lose at home. I want that back, even if it means i have to sit farther away.

There were empty seats in the 100's throught the game, but with almost 4 minutes left in a tie game i was disturbed, confused, sickened, and appaulled to see how many people ran for their cars. There is no way that many people have postgame radio shows. This is getting off topic, but why would you buy tickets and then leave the game when the ending is the best part?
Mad Props to addicted2flyers For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClearTheRunwayForWLJ (11-18-2008)
Old 11-18-2008, 04:46 PM

I agree.

If they gave back the students those little wedges which they already took away, then the rowdy kids who stood the entire game for Wofford in the 400 section, would be down there making noise and helping the Flyers in the final minutes when the lower bowl is half empty.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:30 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,433 Times in 682 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
Just for those that were curious about the turnout of students at other exhibition games, here's a photo taken during OSU's exhibition game (a school with a much higher student population). Student seats are the silver section behind the top basket. I don't want to start another fight, but I found it interesting (and a bit humorous)

Old 11-22-2008, 07:56 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,355 Times in 586 Posts
College B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Osu students

I wonder if there students go on to web sites and call out "blue hairs" for leaving the arena early like some of the students that attend UD typically do?
Mad Props to College B-Ball Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
John R (11-22-2008)
Old 11-22-2008, 08:16 PM

Good Pic.

Who gives two craps about exhibition ... the people on this website over-reacted a ton. Like they do on almost every issue.

The students have shown up each time and will continue to, I applaud them.

People take for granted how good our student section is compared to other universities, even big BCS schools.

I also bet that their "blue hairs" didn't call out the students for missing an exhibition game, its a two-way street.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:23 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,433 Times in 682 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by College B-Ball Fan View Post
I wonder if there students go on to web sites and call out "blue hairs" for leaving the arena early like some of the students that attend UD typically do?
While I've never read anything about people complaining about fans leaving early, I have read many times appeals for the fans that do show up to make noise. I've read more than a few editorials before big basketball games that prod the fans to do something when they come to the games. That's something that we can all agree our fans don't need pleading to do, at least in big games (or close games).