User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-20-2008, 08:55 AM
General

Thanked 5,460 Times in 2,387 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
GREAT coaching move by BG

This was discussed some on another thread but I think it deserves its own thread. What I thought about BG's timeout after the off-the-glass pass from MP to CW was: smart, and classy.

Classy, because at that point it was getting embarrassing for the other team. Enough. No need to embarrass someone with hot dog dunks and showboating.

Smart, because did you see how quickly he jumped up and called the TO? In the heat of the moment, instead of reacting with pride to his team's suffocating defense, his was probably thinking "that's all I need is for our players to start showing up the other team and have one of DSU's players take offense, followed by an elbow to the temple or a torn ACL."

He sent a quick message by calling TO and pulling both players. I think the message was NOT to our team but to DSU. The message was "I'm sorry, we're not trying to disrespect you, just beat you."
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bill McPeek (11-20-2008), Dirty Sanchez (11-21-2008), emswartz92 (11-20-2008), hessbz12 (11-20-2008), IndianaFlyer (11-20-2008), Tony T 71 (11-20-2008)
Advertisement
Old 11-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Captain

UDFLYERS2K is on a distinguished road
I agree. At that point the game was pretty physical and the DSU players were getting frustrated. The last thing we needed was a frustrated Hornet taking out CW's legs on a fastbreak. Nice job BG.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:59 AM
Major

LebronJames is a glorious beacon of lightLebronJames is a glorious beacon of lightLebronJames is a glorious beacon of lightLebronJames is a glorious beacon of lightLebronJames is a glorious beacon of light
I thought the move was more of sitting down the starters and saving their legs for the next game. Mickey actually stayed in the game following the timeout.

There is no way he could have been upset with Chris....It's not like he was going to watch the ball bounce of the backboard, and down to the floor.

I was really hoping CW was going to throw in a 360 on his fastbreak where no one was within 50 ft. of him.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:05 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
May have to put in new rims in a couple of games with this many dunks in a game.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:56 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,221 Times in 549 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
Last year, when GW made a similar play against UD, it got Dayton to respond with a run. UD actually was able to get back into the game somewhat by channeling their anger over that play into more aggressive play.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:27 PM
Colonel

NorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Gotta agree with Gazoo on this. The showboating is great fun to watch when it is your team, but it can get cocky real quick and create some cheap play. DWU was collapsing at that point and was beaten. BG was smart to call the timeout and calm it back down and keep the players on the game plan. No need to play your best players and take a risk of injury, we are going to need them healthy later in the season.

It was a great time to get some PT for the secondary players.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:40 PM
Colonel

BallgameJohnny is infamous around these parts
Some of you are the most anal people I have ever seen type on a message board. He didn't yell at either guy and as far as I could see from about 15 feet away he smacked Mickey on the butt. I thought it was great. Here is Mickey who doesn't score that often and gave it up to Chris to get the crowd wild. The dang kids are having a little fun out there and here are the same crybaby fans, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.. ..

I loved it, want to see more of it, and was glad BG didn't yell at them for it. i Have a good feeling CW and MP would have not done anything like that if the game situation was not in control at that point.

Let the dang kids have some fun..
Mad Props to BallgameJohnny For This Totally Excellent Post:
daytonflyers (11-20-2008)
Old 11-20-2008, 02:41 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,012 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
I like the TO more at the end of the 1st half with 2.8 seconds to go.It showed BG wanted to be aggressive and score. LW2 got a good shot off.
Never saw BG do that at the end of a half.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:48 PM
Captain

emswartz92 is infamous around these partsemswartz92 is infamous around these partsemswartz92 is infamous around these partsemswartz92 is infamous around these parts
I agree 100%. BG made a great call here.

Great thread by the way.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:59 PM

Thanked 10,180 Times in 5,906 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BallgameJohnny View Post
I loved it, want to see more of it, and was glad BG didn't yell at them for it. i Have a good feeling CW and MP would have not done anything like that if the game situation was not in control at that point.

BG gave every indication on his post game comments that he loved the play and loved MP's unselfish attitude. You just know he enjoys it as much as we do.

Wilmington State was wore out in the second half and BG was being a good coach by not demoralizing them anymore. Those guys have to play again today at Ohio State. Wow, will they have rubber legs.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:42 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,172 Times in 2,321 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by steve View Post
I like the TO more at the end of the 1st half with 2.8 seconds to go.It showed BG wanted to be aggressive and score. LW2 got a good shot off.
Never saw BG do that at the end of a half.
See, I saw this as a learning exercise. They came out of the huddle, and Mickey went to a 3point spot on the right side of the arc. Wright was at the right wing. I saw it as a way to capitalize on a last-second shot training exercise to see how we could play it out. Just like in the second exhibition game, he put in LF with 3 seconds to go at the end of the game, and I thought he was going to let him try for a buzzer beater, but instead he inbounded the ball.

Someone mentioned BG patting MP on the behind...did anyone notice LW pat BG on the head when he was subbed out for RL once. It reminded me of Michael Irvin and Jimmie Johnson for the Dallas Cowboys in the Super Bowl.

Figgie
Old 11-20-2008, 04:40 PM
General

Thanked 5,460 Times in 2,387 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BallgameJohnny View Post
Some of you are the most anal people I have ever seen type on a message board. He didn't yell at either guy and as far as I could see from about 15 feet away he smacked Mickey on the butt. I thought it was great. Here is Mickey who doesn't score that often and gave it up to Chris to get the crowd wild. The dang kids are having a little fun out there and here are the same crybaby fans, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.. ..

Are you reading the same thread?

Who is saying the kids shouldn't have some fun? I liked that they did it, and I liked even more that BG did his job right away, which is to call TO and send a message to the other coach / players that he does not want to disrespect them.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:49 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,396 Times in 713 Posts
Beatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond repute
This is a good thread, nice post, but I wonder why BG left Wright in the game so long. Why risk repeating last years injury for a few more minutes of game time against Del. State?

That seems risky to me.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:34 AM
Colonel

BallgameJohnny is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
BG gave every indication on his post game comments that he loved the play and loved MP's unselfish attitude. You just know he enjoys it as much as we do.

Wilmington State was wore out in the second half and BG was being a good coach by not demoralizing them anymore. Those guys have to play again today at Ohio State. Wow, will they have rubber legs.
As mentioned in another thread their schedule is just nuts the next month or so.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:12 PM

Thanked 10,180 Times in 5,906 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Osu 70 DS 42