User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-21-2019, 08:28 PM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,914 Times in 2,926 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
"From the Swamp": What's On Your DVR?

Push "Play":

http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32776
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2019, 12:21 PM
2nd Lieutenant

Jay O'Leary is a splendid one to beholdJay O'Leary is a splendid one to beholdJay O'Leary is a splendid one to beholdJay O'Leary is a splendid one to beholdJay O'Leary is a splendid one to beholdJay O'Leary is a splendid one to beholdJay O'Leary is a splendid one to beholdJay O'Leary is a splendid one to behold
I'm sorry Swampy, but even as a fellow Burgher, I have to disagree with your comment re. Gillette. They want to "challenge stereotypes" and then with a broad brush they lump all men as dangerous to women. No single man in my family has ever been charged with rape, physical, mental or verbal abuse (to my knowledge). This was a surrender to the SJW and PC culture we are living in. They probably also thought they would increase their market share. Wrong...they have lost this lifelong customer.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Jay O'Leary For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (01-22-2019), JimBo (01-22-2019), longtimefan (01-22-2019), UDGutter2 (01-23-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 12:59 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,556 Times in 3,701 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Trumps inauguration. I watch it over and over and over! Gets better every time, and with each passing day I am more thankful for the outcome of the election and this great country we live in.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:15 PM
Captain

marco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to behold
We live in the greatest country in the world and I won't be ashamed.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:36 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Swampy - You have finally hit the lowest of lows. I know that up to now you have scrupulously avoided mixing your left wing politics with your articles - even to the point of bragging that you have been careful to do so.
However, by not only commenting and then linking to a topic that is both political and controversial you have broken your own standard of journalism. If you had just stopped after mentioning your dad worked for Gillette or even just wondered what he might think of the ad and then linked to the ad itself - then so be it. Yet, you could not help putting your own political slant on the ad. How sad. Even more so, you do a disservice to this site when you impose your politics in a sports article. An apology is in order.
This thread should be moved to the off-topic forum post haste.
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (01-22-2019), Jeff (01-22-2019), JimBo (01-22-2019), longtimefan (01-22-2019), Monster Man (01-22-2019), Showme Flyer (01-22-2019), UDGutter2 (01-23-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 02:30 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,413 Times in 670 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud69 View Post
Swampy - You have finally hit the lowest of lows. I know that up to now you have scrupulously avoided mixing your left wing politics with your articles - even to the point of bragging that you have been careful to do so.
However, by not only commenting and then linking to a topic that is both political and controversial you have broken your own standard of journalism. If you had just stopped after mentioning your dad worked for Gillette or even just wondered what he might think of the ad and then linked to the ad itself - then so be it. Yet, you could not help putting your own political slant on the ad. How sad. Even more so, you do a disservice to this site when you impose your politics in a sports article. An apology is in order.
This thread should be moved to the off-topic forum post haste.
Snowflake
Old 01-22-2019, 02:43 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Swampy , how about giving us your esteemed opinion on the Covington Catholic kids, or the partial shutdown, or Brett Kavanaugh???? Bad enough your narcissistic “articles”, vacuous and vapid as they are, contain virtually nothing of real importance re Flyer Basketball, but now you use your podium to plush a liberal agenda in a forum that should not be a platform for any political positions. Give my best to KathyGriffin. Push flush!
Mad Props to maddog07 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Monster Man (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 02:57 PM

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
There's a place for that, that's not in the basketball forum area. OTG
Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 02:58 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
re: Gillette ad......be a man. Is that not what the Cov Cath young men did? They did not react to verbiage coming from Black Israelites, or whatever they call themselves. Acted like men and today are being blasted by the left as white, privileged Catholics. So bad that Cov Cath had to close today for student protection.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:00 PM
General

Thanked 4,319 Times in 2,123 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Haven't seen the commercial, though I've heard of it. My guess is that Gillette is losing its market share to the direct to consumer razor companies that have popped up all over the place. I'd also guess that a huge chunck of that market is directly tied to millenials and other "utes" who are unlikely to turn back the clock and start buying their razors in the grocery store again. Gillette see the winds at their face and are hoping this add will get those same millenials to stop buying their razors from Harry's or wherever else, and start buying from Gillette like their fathers and grandfathers did.

The question is, do they even care? Are they buying a blade because they care about its political opinions, or are they buying a blade because its cheaper, works better or provides more long term value?

I don't know, personally, I eat at Chick Fil a because I like their product and they have by far the best customer service of any fast food chain, or because of their political stance? Do I shop at Costco because I like the value I get and their product, or because of their political stance? The answer is the same on both, and trust me it isn't because of their political stance because they are as far apart as possible.

One thing is for sure, I don't need to be pandered to by a company for me to be a regular customer. You can get me in the door once, but you better deliver value if you want me back again.
Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
shwag33 (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 03:31 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyerfanatic86 View Post
Snowflake
Journalism
Old 01-22-2019, 03:41 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know ... but

I think from time to time people on this forum let their inner leaning shine through ..... left or right ....

Yes the ad was /is controversial and maybe the company was trying to score points. Like the Nike one a few months ago it draws eyes and ears to the campaign ... like it dislike it. It is what it is.

Unfortunately the "controversy of things" will continue. Some would have you think this all started with DJT ... since it fits an agenda. Sorry it did not and the media is a great conveyor to the masses as to what is and is not controversial .... By simply NOT carrying the message the media causes what otherwise would be controversial not to be ...

It's like the question if a tree falls in the forest when no-one is around did the tree make any noise?

Old 01-22-2019, 06:42 PM
Colonel

udscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these parts
No comment swampy ? Looks like everyone is upset with u ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2019, 09:03 PM
General

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,050 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by udscott View Post
No comment swampy ? Looks like everyone is upset with u ?
Posted via Mobile Device

Nah - Swampy's fine.

Mad Props to Glen Clark For This Totally Excellent Post:
Rick Scaia (01-23-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 09:57 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Send it to off topic.

We don’t care what you think.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:42 AM
Captain

Rick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud of
I read Swampy's piece last night. I don't have the same 2 other items on my DVR, but his reasons for pointing out why UD/SBU was remarkable were valid, and nicely illuminated with charts and graphs.

This afternoon, I made my first daily pass of UDPride, and saw some responses (like, 3 or 4), and wondered what had people talking. I literally assumed you were all joking/being sarcastic, "Ha ha, I'm flying off the handle about the Gillette thing because ha ha I even love President Trump," and so forth. There was no other explanation for the asymmetric response.

Now, I make me evening pass, and it looks like I was wrong. Y'all really are deadly serious? A whole write-up about a Flyer win, tagged with a couple one-liner off-hand comments, one of which is a reminiscence about a dearly departed grandfather.... and this is your take-away.

Says more about y'all than it does about Swampy.

[PS: I think the Gillette ad is ham-fisted and stupid as hell, because there's a difference between "somebody who can actually change things for the better" and "virtue signalling." But I also recognize that it's shaming crappy behavior, it's not shaming men, and it's not even close. I, generally, do not behave in a crappy fashion and never have and I tend not to tolerate it in others, so this one isn't take shots at me or my person, and therefore I see no need to act all defensive and indignant about the ad. Join me, why don't you?]
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Rick Scaia For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (01-23-2019), Glen Clark (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 11:32 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,488 Times in 763 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jay O'Leary View Post
I'm sorry Swampy, but even as a fellow Burgher, I have to disagree with your comment re. Gillette. They want to "challenge stereotypes" and then with a broad brush they lump all men as dangerous to women. No single man in my family has ever been charged with rape, physical, mental or verbal abuse (to my knowledge). This was a surrender to the SJW and PC culture we are living in. They probably also thought they would increase their market share. Wrong...they have lost this lifelong customer.
It's always about the $$$ - always. ESPN giving Bruce Jenner the courage award, Nike / Kapernik, late night talk shows / Trump, Gillette / masculinity, etc., etc., etc. Companies don't make these moves for altruistic reasons, they are for profit companies that prey on current events in an effort to make more money. You can argue whether these campaigns are worthwhile strategies, but make no mistake, at the end of the day, it's all about the Benjamins. Companies are always looking for ways to attract attention to their product and to differentiate themselves from their competition. These commercials/strategies do that.
Mad Props to N2663R For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 11:40 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,282 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
It would appear that the new mantra when dealing with the outside world, be it companies, media, political folk, etc. is 'trust no one".
Old 01-23-2019, 02:01 PM
General

Thanked 4,319 Times in 2,123 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_HL0wiK4Zc

Interesting response, figure some on here would enjoy this
Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (01-23-2019)