Article Tools Display Modes
Thinking Out Loud
Thinking Out Loud
Jim Meadows
Published by Swampy Meadows
12-02-2007
Smile Thinking Out Loud

BEVERLY HILLS (MI) –- Some things that I wonder about:

-- How big were those two roadies by the Flyers? A come-from-behind win at the dreaded "Millett Dungeon” in Oxford and they then travel up to Wooster (as Bucky Bockhorn likes to call it) and eke out a close one vs. the previously undefeated Crusaders. Nicely done, fellas.

-- BRob wasn’t alone in having an off game on Saturday –- Michael Bramos only scored 5 points in a narrow Miami Redhawk loss at Louisville.

-- I don’t want to be the turd in the punch bowl here, but where was the fury of that amazing 2nd half comeback by UD vs. Miami in the George Mason game? If the Flyers had played like that in DC, right now they would be undefeated.

-- The “box-and-one” that BG deployed vs. the Redhawks is my favorite defense for neutralizing a hot hand. Put your best junkyard dog defender on the opponent who is killing you (cough***Bramos) and zone up on the other 4 guys. Why doesn’t UD use it more often?

-- In case you are wondering, the HC game is considered a “road win” by the NCAA and not one at a “neutral site” even tho it was played at the DCU Center because UD refused to play at HC’s on-campus Hart Center. Here’s a link to the HC MB that has the explanation:

http://s2.excoboard.com/exco/thread....readid=1741104

-- Don’t you just love You Tube? I’m sure that, like me, a lot of you can watch this sh*t all day long:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZNro_h4na4o

-- Also, how cool is this video of a bee flying in slow-mo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv=MymMxRvz8Rc

-- Why hasn’t somebody done this before? KG calls out TNT’s Craig Sager on his butt-ugly wardrobe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDB4h...sbybrooks.com/

-- Did former Cincy HS phenom Bill Walker of KSU get caught on tape whizzing on the sidelines during a break in the action? (keep your eye on the lower left corner):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02ozV...sbybrooks.com/

-- I haven’t gone by the site to look, but have all of those bi-polar types at Mouseketeer Madness who were ready to jump off a cliff taken a step back after the X-Men beat #8 Indiana? Nice to see X rated in the Top 25, so it will mean more when we knock ‘em off.

-- So WH from the A-10 MB revises his pre-season conference rankings and moves UD from #7 to…#9? Granted, he did so before the Flyers’ recent Miami and HC road wins, but come on, dude? Here’s a link to the thread:

http://www.basketballforum.com/atlan...d-edition.html

-- WH is a UMass aficionado and his boys followed up their big win vs. the Syracuse Orangemen by basically crapping the bed against Ooey-Pooey. WH had UMass as his #4 rated A-10 team.

-- Shouldn’t all of you Ohio State fans be just a tad bit embarrassed that your team has basically backed their ass into the chance to play for the National Championship? Then again, all of the other guys had their chance and blew it, right? My nephew Mike is probably still drowning his sorrows down in Morgantown.

-- Watched the Celtics play the Miami Heat the other night on ESPN and up there in the rafters of the American Airlines Arena is the retired jersey of…Michael Jordan??? Obviously, MJ never played for the Heat and, in fact, currently owns a piece of another NBA team, so what does he have to do with Miami?

I guess that’s when you know that your franchise has absolutely zero history going for it: when you have to resort to retiring the jersey of somebody else’s superstar.

-- Thank you, Tim Horsmon and the Lady Flyer Volleyballers for a highly entertaining season.

That’s it “From the Swamp.”

You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
By UDBrian on 12-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Swampy, why would someone be embarrassed because another team lost allowing your team to move up? Would you be embarrassed if Xavier lost their last game of the season allowing UD to win the outright A10 championship? Were you embarrassed when Morehead State lost which allowed UD to play in the championship game? I think OSU fans were embarrassed by the effort of the coaches and players in the championship game last year though ... Not giving your best effort is reason for embarrassment.
By UACFlyer on 12-03-2007, 03:44 PM
"Woo-ster" MA

Swampy, re the pronunciation of Worcester MA, home of Holy Cross, Bucky might be one up on you. The correct pronunciation is "Woo'-ster",....and if you actually live there it's "Woo'-stah".
By Swampy Meadows on 12-03-2007, 04:08 PM
Dude, I grew up 15 minutes from there.

It's "Whistah."
By UACFlyer on 12-03-2007, 04:55 PM
More on pronunciation....

"Whistah" is it?....or "Wis-tah",....according to the "official" MA town pronunciation guide, that is the way people living north of town pronounce it. Perhaps you grew up to the north.

The guide claims that most natives say, "Woo-stah", and those that now live in town but came from somewhere else say, "Woo-ster", as does Bucky.

Whatever, it certainly isn't pronounced phonetically.
By Chris R on 12-03-2007, 05:18 PM
the boys in whistah like to eat clam chodd-uh too.
By AustinFlyer on 12-04-2007, 03:31 PM
Would you believe they have a city down here in Texas called "Houston" that they actually pronounce "hyoo-stun"? Weird.
Comment

Article Tools