User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 08-09-2018, 12:38 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,570 Times in 1,180 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Tracking RPIs

Every Monday or Tuesday of every week this season I’m going to try to update all our opponents’ rpi and post it here. I will be using figgiestats rpi with bonuses. In order of the schedule, here are the ending RPIs from last season:

55 - Dayton

193 - Marshall
120 - Ball State
133 - So Alabama

20 - Kansas
4 - Kentucky
49 - College of Charleston

66 - Miami

8 - Washington
28 - Pittsburgh
42 - Kennesaw State

88 - Tennessee
275 - Evansville
45 - Ohio State

276 - George Mason
237 - George Washington

255 - Davidson
35 - VCU

180 - Duquesne
234 - LaSalle

246 - Fordham
186 - Rhode Island

124 - Cincinnati
157 - Saint Louis

35 - VCU
255 - Davidson

157 - Saint Louis
144 - Xavier

234 - LaSalle
180 - Duquesne

Based on last year, the schedule averages 138.1. We need to get 3 teams in the A10 with RPIs better than 70-80. The bottom of the conference has done a good job of upgrading their programs and schedules. There was just a big drop off after UD and VCU last year. Three in that top tier will help everyone’s rpi. SLU put together a pretty good schedule so I hope they finally get back to fighting for NCAA consideration.

Finally, how exciting is it that Dayton is playing in two of the premier out-of-conference tournaments this year? Those are big time challenges for a team that has a ton of young talent that will need to step up big to help knock someone off.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Chris R (08-09-2018), Figgie123 (08-09-2018), rollo (08-09-2018), udisit19 (08-14-2018)
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2018, 12:17 PM
Lieutenant General

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Pre-season poll out. We have 3 ranked teams and one receiving votes on our schedule.

#5 - KY
#17 - WA
#20 - Pitt

Unofficially #31 - KS receiving 66 votes.

I’ll add these to the teams when I update.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (08-12-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (08-12-2018), UACFlyer (08-12-2018), udisit19 (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 11:46 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

udisit19 is a name known to alludisit19 is a name known to alludisit19 is a name known to alludisit19 is a name known to alludisit19 is a name known to alludisit19 is a name known to all
Thanks Becky for putting together the 2017 RPIs. Dayton has created a great schedule that should challenge this team against some of the best, but still give the team chances to pick up victories against respected teams. Can't believe Dayton gets to play teams like Kansas and Washington on a neutral court. And the weekend with Ohio State and Tennessee coming to Frericks provides really great opportunities for quality wins. That should help to convince more recruits to continue selecting UD.

I think Dayton and VCU will have great years and I think 2 A-10 teams can make the NCAA tournament. VCU has teams like Wichita State, South Carolina, Virginia, and Georgetown visiting Richmond, so they have chances for resume wins too. VCU returns so many quality players they may even surprise N.C. State or Washington State in the first weekend. VCU can pick up where they left off while other teams might need to replace a starter or two.

I'm not sure the A-10 will get that obvious 3rd team yet. SLU has a big hole to fill after the graduation of Lauren Leverenz (MB), one of only two players to play every set for SLU. The Bilikens were a bad blocking team last year and unless they get some Sophomores or Freshman to step up they won't make any gains. Maya Taylor (OH) made a impact as a Freshman outside hitter and Sien Gallop has a great serve, but other than that, SLU has a lot of questions. Juliana Phillip's height alone is promising at 6'4", but she still lags far behind Leverenz's numbers. Julianna Phillips only hit 0.222 while Leverenz hit 0.342 and Phillips had only 0.38 blk/s while Leverenz had 0.75 blk/s. SLU has one freshman middle, Sara Daniels, and two freshman outside hitters, Giovanna Charles and Isabella Walsh. Its very possible they have an impact in their first year, because Maya Taylor did last year when she hit 0.245, but I think SLU's blocking trouble will continue and I expect a fairly predictable attack early on while the young players establish themselves.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:17 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

udisit19 is a name known to alludisit19 is a name known to alludisit19 is a name known to alludisit19 is a name known to alludisit19 is a name known to alludisit19 is a name known to all
I like what GW is building mostly because I think they hired a great coach, but also because they got the A-10 tournament win against SLU last year. I think they might beat SLU to an RPI below 100, but it might take some time. GW graduates an effective RS hitter, Kristel Moor (0.180 H%, 0.54 blk/s), middle hitter Emily Newell who only appeared in half the sets, OH hitter Alliyah Davidson (0.181 H%), and 5th year setter previously from Dartmouth Stacey Benton. A lot of players graduate, but that could be a good thing as GW's 2nd-year head coach has a chance to implement her coaching style and insert her own recruits. But I think GW has at least one big player to replace.

GW will struggle to fill Kristel Moor's spot because she was the best all around player leaving. Her numbers were good not great, but her D was as good as her offense. Davidson struggled on D with blocking and serve receive, so her replacement doesn't need to hit 0.180 to be as good or better. Sophmore Right Side hitter Marianna Warren showed flashes of brilliance. She could be the replacement for Moor.

Sophmore Callie Fauntelroy looks like she might be ready to step into a staring Middle role. She only appeared in 37 sets in her freshman year but hit 0.340 and had 0.84 blocks per set. GW also brings in 4 attaching freshman. 1 MH, 2 OH, and one RS. One of the outside hitters brings height at 6'3". With a fairly new coach and only a few obvious choices for starters, I expect a lot of competition on this team. By the end of the year they can make the case for 3rd in the A-10. However, every team except Dayton and VCU have some glaring trouble areas.

If there is one obvious weakness it would have to be serving. GW's serving was poor last year. No player had more than 0.20 aces per set. Setter Jamison Lee had 0.19 sa/s and Kelsey Clark had 0.18 sa/s. The opposing team can get into their offense more often.

Last edited by udisit19; 08-14-2018 at 12:20 PM..
Old 08-14-2018, 12:50 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Duquesne would have to be a contender for 3rd place in the A-10 too, but they graduate even more than SLU and GW. DUQ graduates a good middle in Abbie Trzeciak and a great all around OH in Molly Davet.

I think DUQ returns some good players too. Camryn Vacera is a great Libero (she can make the case for best in A-10) and Maria Mosbocher was a strong OH as a freshman last year. Duquesne has coaching stability, a returning Junion setter, and a consistently good defense on their side. They should be able to make the A-10 tournament, but at the same time, it feels like this is the most questions they have had at the start of the year in a while.

If I had to guess, I see teams like SLU/DUQ/ and RI all sliding a little bit due to a loss of experience while I see the lower teams like GW/FOR/LAS/DAV and even GM growing due to key players gaining experience. I think DAY and VCU will be extremely competitive at the top while the bottom of the A-10 will be a free for all. Predicting the 5th and 6th slots of the A-10 tournament will be difficult. You can make a case for most teams (GM may need to get lucky to end in 6th place but I think they will improve too), but each team has a serious flaw. Part of me like the progress Fordham has made, but despite their great right side hitter Olivia Fairchild, Fordham has new leadership from a new head coach. Davidson has a great MH in Ellie Crosley, but they are not strong at the OH position. Serving is becoming a strength for La Salle, but they don't have anyone with more than 0.65 blocks per set.

The bottom of the A-10 will see a lot of competing styles, but it should be great competition. I think we would rather see a strong 3rd or 4th team, but I'm not sure we will see that this year. I hope I'm wrong, but we may have to wait one more year while the bottom of the A-10 rebuilds.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:08 AM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by udisit19 View Post
I think Dayton and VCU will have great years and I think 2 A-10 teams can make the NCAA tournament. I'm not sure the A-10 will get that obvious 3rd team yet.
I agree with this. In the 12 years I’ve been following Dayton/A10 Volleyball I think only twice we’ve seen 2 bid years. Several years ago when Sheff was here, he was talking about moving the A10 to a 3 bid conference. I thought at the time that was a reach because you have to be a consistant 2 bid conference first and the A10 hasn’t achieved that yet.

I agree we have a real shot at getting 2 bids this year because we have stronger than usual schedules with most teams. That will help everyone’s rpi and hopefully push the top two teams above that “35ish” rpi line to get one at-large bid plus a third team in the 70-80 range.

It all starts in less than 2 weeks.