User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-12-2011, 09:35 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Geron Johnson still on UD radar

Interesting article in the DDN today about Geron Johnson from Dunbar. It seems AM is pursuing him. I'm not sure if this will be an active link but it's on the front page of the sports section on the DDN website:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayto...k-1283394.html

If he gets his act cleaned up and takes his academics seriously, I'd take a shot on him.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
daytonflyers (11-12-2011), ohioflyer (11-15-2011), THirt (11-12-2011)
Advertisement
Old 11-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Good skills, bad chemistry

Personally, this one is a bit of a stretch. The clincher for me would be that I would not want him to come back to the city with his ex-Dayton Dunbar circle of schoolmates and posse that let him go astray in the first place. Bad karma. Too much down time in college with the wrong crowd. And possibly a high maintenance squad member.

Just one fan's opinion.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (04-15-2012), LI Flyer (03-04-2012), rollo (11-12-2011), shocka43 (11-12-2011)
Old 11-12-2011, 10:25 AM
Captain

axehandle is just really niceaxehandle is just really niceaxehandle is just really niceaxehandle is just really niceaxehandle is just really nice
This also seems a little questionable; however, if there is a time to gamble a little this may it. If all three of our present verbals make it, we still have two schoolies to give. We need an additional guard in particular a SG/Combo. If we take a transfer in the spring, he would have to sit out next year. Secondly if things don't work out the schollie is available again the next year.
The only other guard we seem to be in on is Edwards and he also has some academic issues to attend to.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:41 AM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by axehandle View Post
This also seems a little questionable; however, if there is a time to gamble a little this may it. If all three of our present verbals make it, we still have two schoolies to give. We need an additional guard in particular a SG/Combo. If we take a transfer in the spring, he would have to sit out next year. Secondly if things don't work out the schollie is available again the next year.
The only other guard we seem to be in on is Edwards and he also has some academic issues to attend to.
If its Geron he wont have sit out a year, I think AM has been give the green light on some of these kids by the Adminstration
Old 11-12-2011, 10:49 AM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
If he can't keep his nose clean away from the Dayton environment that was responsible for his Huber Heights trouble...then we have a clear representation of how well he picks his peers. Not good...and really not good bringing him back into the Dayton environment were most of those peers are still at.

His actions caused him to go the junior college route....two at that and prison. I don't have a good feeling about taking a shot on a kid that needs prison to finally "get it".
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BallgameJohnny (11-15-2011), Gazoo (04-15-2012), rollo (11-12-2011)
Old 11-12-2011, 11:02 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
If he has seen the light I can absolutely see why Archie would consider taking a chance on him. He is a scoring guard but in the half court he is that emergency point guard that every team loves to have. Tons of talent if he realizes that his priorities need to change
Old 11-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Captain

chicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud of
Recruiting a player that has done prison time...if _avier was doing this we would be all over them...if _uggins was doing this we would be all over him...so why are we not all over UD on this one?
Mad Props to chicago92 For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (11-12-2011)
Old 11-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Captain

axehandle is just really niceaxehandle is just really niceaxehandle is just really niceaxehandle is just really niceaxehandle is just really nice
Originally Posted by Atlantic 10 View Post
If its Geron he wont have sit out a year, I think AM has been give the green light on some of these kids by the Adminstration
I understand that he would not have to sit out. I was referring to trying to pick up a true transfer in the spring.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:00 PM

Thanked 17,099 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
My experience has been once a thief always a thief. It's at the DNA level.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Viperstick (11-13-2011), wes (03-05-2012)
Old 11-12-2011, 12:07 PM
General of the Air Force

UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I think that is probably true. Many of those values are set before we are six years old and only a traumatic experience can change our core beliefs such as three spirits visiting on Christmas Morning.
Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (04-15-2012)
Old 11-12-2011, 12:09 PM

Thanked 15,877 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
no thanks.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:26 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
much traveled, much troubled, immensely talented.

Before we pass judgement, let's see what happens over the next few months.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Buster Goode (11-12-2011), CraSch (11-12-2011), Flyer 86 (11-12-2011), lhsgolf19 (11-12-2011)
Old 11-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Captain

UDan71 will become famous soon enoughUDan71 will become famous soon enough
Well, young Mr. Johnson would fit right in with this recruiting class...

Jevon
Devon
Geron
Jalen

and ...on and ...on

Last edited by UDan71; 11-12-2011 at 01:36 PM..
Old 11-12-2011, 01:11 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,038 Times in 2,599 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDan71 View Post
Well, young Mr. Johnson would fit right in with this recruiting class...

Jevon
Devon
Geron
Jalen
If Archie and Crew can guarantee Geron won't get into the trouble... this would be one of the best recruiting classes i have seen from UD in a while
Old 11-12-2011, 02:27 PM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
The streets are very unforgivng. I wish the young fella the best, but at this time I don't think he should return to the same environment where his troubles began.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:09 PM
Major

singlet_of_truth is a jewel in the roughsinglet_of_truth is a jewel in the roughsinglet_of_truth is a jewel in the roughsinglet_of_truth is a jewel in the rough
6 weeks for pot? Was he selling or packing a duffle bag full of it? Is there something else to this story? If everyone who stole an x box or smoked pot spent time in prison, we'd need to multiple the number of prisons by about 100.

I don't know enough as to have an opinion on whether he's too much of a risk, but 6 weeks for pot for a kid in his late teens/early twenties sounds shocking.

The continued statements about his grades and that he just doesn't seem to care is disturbing. It's not like he's still a soph in high school and just doesn't get it. He's running out of chances, and if he still isn't serious, that would probably be all I need to know. But I know very little about him. Other than the fact that he is incredibly talented - otherwise no one would be talking about him.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:33 PM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
This might not apply to GJ's case, but often there are a bag full of additional charges that have been bargained out of the picture, to get to one that sticks and is clear-cut and manageable by the DA and attorney.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Captain

hoch21 is a splendid one to beholdhoch21 is a splendid one to beholdhoch21 is a splendid one to beholdhoch21 is a splendid one to beholdhoch21 is a splendid one to beholdhoch21 is a splendid one to beholdhoch21 is a splendid one to behold
For UD to get back on the map quicker, we will HAVE to take our chances. I hoped Jesse Berry could have played as well. GJ is a stud and would take a chnce with him, stating clearly, he has ONE LAST CHANCE. Someone will give it to him, why not UD?
Old 11-12-2011, 09:24 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device
Couldn't disagree more. Kids steal stuff. Kids will experiment with pot. Now, when kids commit crimes of a violent or sexual nature, that is where the red flags should be. I'd be worried about the academics and the fact that Johnson would have his old running buddies around, but I'm not writing a kid off because he stole something, or got caught with pot.

We have another kid who just submitted his LOI whose late brother was accused of theft. It's not a DNA or genetic thing. By that logic, we should have passed on him.

The simple truth is that kids do dumb things. But there are plenty of cases where a coach helped put things in perspective for a kid. Sounds to me like a kid who needs a role model. Certainly, there are some of those on staff - Kuwik especially. Not advocating for the kid, but I'm certainly not going to be upset if Archie feels like Johnson is worth taking a chance on.

Last edited by DallasFlyer; 11-12-2011 at 09:29 PM..
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (11-13-2011)
Old 11-12-2011, 09:34 PM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hoch21 View Post
For UD to get back on the map quicker, we will HAVE to take our chances
I don't want to be on the map then if that's what it takes.

Originally Posted by hoch21 View Post
Someone will give it to him, why not UD?
Precisely because we are UD. Let someone else give him a shot and then have their championship banners removed from the arena a few years later.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer_Tom (11-14-2011)
Old 11-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Major General

DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
Let someone else give him a shot and then have their championship banners removed from the arena a few years later.
Why would banners be removed? The only reason I can think of would be if there were recruiting infractions. You can question his character if you want, but why question the university's character?
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
31770 (11-14-2011)
Old 11-12-2011, 09:49 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,693 Times in 2,511 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
Why would banners be removed? The only reason I can think of would be if there were recruiting infractions. You can question his character if you want, but why question the university's character?
Because you are judged by the company you keep. If the university recruits these kids with criminal pasts they will get burned and then the character will be tarnished.
Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-13-2011)
Old 11-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by TA111 View Post
Because you are judged by the company you keep. If the university recruits these kids with criminal pasts they will get burned and then the character will be tarnished.
No. The basketball program will be judged by performance on the court and by the character of kids it graduates. To me, the measure of a university is how it grows young men into outstanding, successful citizens.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
31770 (11-14-2011), NorthwestFlyer (11-13-2011)
Old 11-12-2011, 10:30 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,764 Times in 929 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by singlet_of_truth View Post
6 weeks for pot? Was he selling or packing a duffle bag full of it? Is there something else to this story? If everyone who stole an x box or smoked pot spent time in prison, we'd need to multiple the number of prisons by about 100.
Unfortunately, this is the United States we live in. Promote drugs that actually kill you and prohibit a virtually harmless one. Creating crime in the guise of crime prevention...viscous circle.

No worries, just open a few more private prisons and throw billions more on the ever burning fire that is the American drug war.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Falcon7 (04-17-2012), flyerdube (11-13-2011), UDEE79 (11-14-2011)
Old 11-13-2011, 12:41 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

flyerfever is a splendid one to beholdflyerfever is a splendid one to beholdflyerfever is a splendid one to beholdflyerfever is a splendid one to beholdflyerfever is a splendid one to beholdflyerfever is a splendid one to behold
Take him

The staff should get on him as much as the NCAA allows. Geron can score the ball and is very athletic. If he makes it through this JC experience unscathed, I hope we go all out to get him. He has shooting range and a good handle...fine shooting guard.

We could be critical of his run-ins and etc. but if he is contrite and demonstrates he wants to put that stuff behind him, then let's get him.

I was very grateful to a teacher who gave me an opportunity to remain on the team after I lost my mind and really screwed up.
Mad Props to flyerfever For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-13-2011)
Old 11-13-2011, 12:41 AM
General

Thanked 4,829 Times in 2,232 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
I have seen first hand the wreckage drugs can make of a life. It's not because they're illegal, it's not because they're expensive. It's because they're so powerfully addictive they consume everything about a person and drive that person to seek that high to the virtual exclusion of all else.

Tread lightly with someone with such a checkered past. I think there's more downside than upside in this instance.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:14 AM
2nd Lieutenant

Sarge is a glorious beacon of lightSarge is a glorious beacon of lightSarge is a glorious beacon of lightSarge is a glorious beacon of lightSarge is a glorious beacon of light
I have to agree with Gazoo. If recruiting that type of player is what it takes to be on "the map", then I'll pass. I do not want to be the kind of program UC had under Huggins.

The end does not justify the means.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:36 AM
2nd Lieutenant

TMPH66 is just really niceTMPH66 is just really niceTMPH66 is just really niceTMPH66 is just really niceTMPH66 is just really nice
I strongly agree with DallasFlyer and disagree with the “Once Tainted Never Sainted” posters. I have spent the last 43 years in the criminal court system north of Chicago as States Attorney, Public Defender and private attorney. There is a difference when it comes to drugs. Those that conquer drugs, many do, have positive intervention, good role models and the desire to succeed. Success is a combination of that desire to succeed and solid positive support. Saying we are not willing to offer support dooms the child and society. We don’t know the child. We hardly know the supporter. I say let Archie first judge the talent. Then measure the child and decide if the “juice is worth the squeeze.”
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TMPH66 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (04-18-2012), Flyer 86 (11-13-2011), jack72 (11-13-2011), m21eagle45 (11-13-2011)
Old 11-13-2011, 07:44 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,053 Times in 471 Posts
UD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for your post, TMPH66. It is good to hear from someone with experience in the law enforcement field. Here in Dayton, we hear mostly about addicts who go to any lengths to support their habit....and after multiple convictions they oftentimes end up injuring/killing someone. I am all for giving someone a second or third chance; but in a city like Dayton, offering a job (or scholarship) to a known drug user is a scary thought. I will trust Archie's judgement on whether to offer a scholarshp to Jeron Johnson....and trust that he will handle it appropriately if it doesn't work out.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:53 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Anybody see the ESPN program on Chris Herron? Being traded to the Boston Celtics and therefore closer to some negative elements in his hometown of Fall River, was the start of his relapse.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:38 AM
Captain

hoch21 is a splendid one to beholdhoch21 is a splendid one to beholdhoch21 is a splendid one to beholdhoch21 is a splendid one to beholdhoch21 is a splendid one to beholdhoch21 is a splendid one to beholdhoch21 is a splendid one to behold
I don't want to be on the map then if that's what it takes.

Precisely because we are UD. Let someone else give him a shot and then have their championship banners removed from the arena a few years later.
Well then continue to be a middle of the pack team. And pretty sure banners arent removed for a drug violation

I mean its weed, I guarantee most of the current players used it or have tried it, I know the NIT championship team had a few guys that used it. He hasnt done anything major and has learned his lessons hopefully. If he does something then at least he got one last chance.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:55 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,355 Times in 586 Posts
College B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Geron

I am all for "second" chances--but believe this young man has used that one already, and the results weren't good! While I agree that the Flyers could/should possibly "take some chances" on some players that may have had a less than stellar high school academic performance OR possibly a single "misstep" at some point along the way----this Dayton kid would probably be better served by playing college ball somewhere else IMHO.

I wish him well and hope that he figures things out this year---but I believe that his potential "down side" is alot bigger than his potential "up side"----just look at what one player's (with no prior criminal or academic trouble) negaitve contribution led to last season at the arena and around flyer nation.

I love when we recruit and sign local players---especially the good ones---but I believe that Archie and his staff will continue to assemble a wonderful group of players without the necessity of adding Geron to the puzzle---really, in light of his very troubled past----why should the University of Dayton (not just the basketball team) take this risk? It might be different if things had somewhat calmed down for him the past 2 years---that doesn't appear to be the case and his current coach almost admits that Geron might still be the type of kid who causes him some grief!
Old 11-13-2011, 10:14 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by TMPH66 View Post
I strongly agree with DallasFlyer and disagree with the “Once Tainted Never Sainted” posters. I have spent the last 43 years in the criminal court system north of Chicago as States Attorney, Public Defender and private attorney. There is a difference when it comes to drugs. Those that conquer drugs, many do, have positive intervention, good role models and the desire to succeed. Success is a combination of that desire to succeed and solid positive support. Saying we are not willing to offer support dooms the child and society. We don’t know the child. We hardly know the supporter. I say let Archie first judge the talent. Then measure the child and decide if the “juice is worth the squeeze.”
Good post coming from someone with experience in these situations. Won't it all come down to how important Geron considers the opportunity to play at UD? If he realizes to his core that this might be his last chance and he wants to keep his nose clean then he can do it. If he simply thinks that he needs to be more careful and will be running around with the same people it will only be a matter of time before problems come up. His recent experiences could have impacted him enough to take the chance but only archie and his staff will have a feel for that.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:33 AM
Captain

SideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know many details of Geron's situation, but nothing I have read so far sounds promising enough to take the risk on tarnishing some of the principles that our program stands for.

This is sounding too much like the slippery slope that X is going down. That's my 2 cents.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:18 AM

Thanked 10,134 Times in 5,868 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
I am not concerned so much about his minor drug offense or other legal issues. This kid will be a throwaway unless someone gives him a chance. That does not mean for one year. What bothers me about Geron is his lack of attention to academics, and probably a basic lack of the three R'S. This is UD, not UNLV or Auburn. He probably does not belong at UD, Notre Dame or Georgetown. Will he succeed at UD in the classroom if he becomes the next model citizen?
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-13-2011)
Old 11-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by College B-Ball Fan View Post
I am all for "second" chances--but believe this young man has used that one already, and the results weren't good! While I agree that the Flyers could/should possibly "take some chances" on some players that may have had a less than stellar high school academic performance OR possibly a single "misstep" at some point along the way----this Dayton kid would probably be better served by playing college ball somewhere else IMHO.

I wish him well and hope that he figures things out this year---but I believe that his potential "down side" is alot bigger than his potential "up side"----just look at what one player's (with no prior criminal or academic trouble) negaitve contribution led to last season at the arena and around flyer nation.

I love when we recruit and sign local players---especially the good ones---but I believe that Archie and his staff will continue to assemble a wonderful group of players without the necessity of adding Geron to the puzzle---really, in light of his very troubled past----why should the University of Dayton (not just the basketball team) take this risk? It might be different if things had somewhat calmed down for him the past 2 years---that doesn't appear to be the case and his current coach almost admits that Geron might still be the type of kid who causes him some grief!
Dead on...well said.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:33 PM

That's all well and good, and certainly validated by your experience. But we are talking 13 chances here to bring in solid players/citizens. Far fewer than that when you break it down by class. I would defer to Arch if Geron is a person that Arch, his staff, and the U want to put their money on.

We won't be consulted because we will never have all the input on a player that Arch has. But on the outside looking in, I would never take a chance on this player by spending one of my precious scholarships on him. Too many others have done things right to even take this risk. Let some other hungry desperate program take the chance.

2 cents
Old 11-13-2011, 01:01 PM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Some of you say give him a 2nd chance because he's an athlete....I say don't give him 2nd look because he's a punk.

If this thug were a simple high school grad or jr college transfer applying for acceptance into the Education Dept his application wouldn't get past the first person to review it.

Considering recent developments at PSU where the athletic dept and football coaches seemed to think they were above and beyond the law, isn't it about time to start letting current and former athletes - all adults - be accountable for their behavior like everyone else? Until we do, the BS will never end.

Last edited by rollo; 11-13-2011 at 01:04 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (11-14-2011), Viperstick (11-15-2011)
Old 11-13-2011, 01:39 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Some of you say give him a 2nd chance because he's an athlete....I say don't give him 2nd look because he's a punk.

If this thug were a simple high school grad or jr college transfer applying for acceptance into the Education Dept his application wouldn't get past the first person to review it.

Considering recent developments at PSU where the athletic dept and football coaches seemed to think they were above and beyond the law, isn't it about time to start letting current and former athletes - all adults - be accountable for their behavior like everyone else? Until we do, the BS will never end.
Really? You are comparing taking a kid with a questionable past to 10 years of administrators at a school trying to hide sexual assault of a minor? This is not even close. If the kid proves that he wants to succeed and do whatever possible to make things right and succeed at UD then I hope coach Miller takes the chance only if he believes that GJ is serious about making the commitment. If there is even the slightest bit of doubt on coach Miller's part then no, pass on the kid. But comparing this to PSU is really a stretch.
Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
daytonflyers (11-13-2011)
Old 11-13-2011, 02:35 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,414 Times in 671 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't have a problem with it. I think that there is room for one questionable guy on the team. When you start stocking the cupboards with them, that's trouble, but a coaching staff can keep a close eye on one guy. Surrounding him with quality coaches and teammates can be all he needs. And if it's just one guy on the team you take a risk on, it won't be the end of the world if he messes up again and you have to cut him loose. I see it as an opportunity to help a kid who might not otherwise be given a chance, and a relatively low risk proposition if it is only one kid.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:44 PM

NOT really...

Originally Posted by m21eagle45 View Post
Really? You are comparing taking a kid with a questionable past to 10 years of administrators at a school trying to hide sexual assault of a minor?
I didn't make a comparison in terms of severity, that would only be the brainchild of someone petty and argumentative . I made a comparison of justification, meaning winning in sports is more important than safety and common sense.

Last edited by rollo; 11-13-2011 at 04:30 PM..
Old 11-13-2011, 06:06 PM
General

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,050 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
If Archie decides to roll the dice on Geron Johnson I have no problem with his decision. The U gave Norman Plummer an opportunity that he couldn't take advantage of, yet the program survived (and Norman Plummer later said he learned a major life lesson when Brian Gregory showed him the door - http://www.courierpress.com/news/200...second-chance/). The real problem with GJ is his academics - there is only so much the school can do to admit him (I can't imagine UD will accept faked transcripts or doctored ACT scores). Having said that, I don't believe GJ would be well served returning to Dayton. He would be better off pursuing a basketball career far, far away from his high school stomping grounds.
As someone who puffed an occasional joint in my college days - I only wish him the best of luck.

Here's a quote I found from Geron Johnson:
"I wash born here, an I wash raished here, and dad gum it, I am gonna die here, an no sidewindin' bushwackin', hornswagglin' cracker croaker is gonna rouin me bishen cutter."
No, wait - that was Gabby Johnson in Mel Brooks - Blazing Saddles
My bad.

Last edited by Glen Clark; 11-13-2011 at 06:58 PM..
Mad Props to Glen Clark For This Totally Excellent Post:
LI Flyer (11-13-2011)
Old 11-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Brigadier General

hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
you guys keep saying "drugs" and i thought the kid was just caught with weed. was he selling mass quantities or something? somebody help me out here. people are throwing out words like "addiction" and "conquering" a drug problem. what? we are talking about weed here right? cannabis is less addictive than coffee. in fact, it is not physically addictive at all. being addicted to weed is like being addicted to your favorite cereal.

am i missing something?
Old 11-13-2011, 06:57 PM

Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Other than cereal being perfectly legal and weed being punishable with prison time, I guess they are the same.

Most kids dont steal or do drugs. Only the problem children. When I think of a kid being given a UD scholarship in spite of these past transgressions, I think of the kid that made all the right decisions growing up, played by the rules, and was passed over. That's the kid that loses and gets jobbed -- but he or she never makes for a compelling story.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 11-13-2011, 07:09 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by hawkoooo View Post
being addicted to weed is like being addicted to your favorite cereal.

am i missing something?
LOL Do poor people pay $20 or more for a little tiny bag of cereal. It is probably less addicting than cigarettes but why would people buy pot if they didn't crave it or crave how it changed their brains?
Old 11-13-2011, 07:10 PM

Thanked 1,645 Times in 683 Posts
Tony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond repute
Does this mean none of us on the board smoked weed?

Cancer Survivor Amen
Old 11-13-2011, 07:39 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Can't speak for others but never touched the stuff or any drugs myself, and I am glad to admit it. May have cost me a few friends but it just wasn't my thing.

I think its amazing how many who did think everyone else did too. Not the case in my circle of close friends. Didn't take up smoking either (couldn't inhale the stuff).

Now boonesfarm(sp) wine (or what ever its name was) was a different story.That with coke was enough to puke up your guts.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:08 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
LOL Do poor people pay $20 or more for a little tiny bag of cereal. It is probably less addicting than cigarettes but why would people buy pot if they didn't crave it or crave how it changed their brains?
Probably? You're kidding right? Do you understand what withdrawal is and why humans experience it? When you have a hangover it is because your body is withdrawing. Headaches, nausea, vomiting...you get the point. When people try to quit cigarettes (and other tobacco products) they experience physical withdrawal symptoms.

Know what happens when people quit smoking weed? Nothing. Poor people buy alcohol, cigarettes, lottery tickets, sound systems, etc. To say that these questionable purchasing decisions have anything to do with marijuana itself is patently absurd.

Of course people crave weed, just like they crave chocolate cake and sex...it makes them feel good. The fact that voting citizens think marijuana is addictive is downright scary in my mind. What's even scarier is that marijuana is a Schedule I "drug," meaning the government considers it to be more dangerous and addictive than heroin! Scarier yet, alcohol and tobacco are not even listed in the schedules...

Sorry for going on a rant, but cannabis has gotten a bad wrap for over 80 years and all at the expense of the American taxpayer. You could probably find five more dangerous things in the average backyard, but not a one would be even remotely as useful. Drug war = epic fail.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (04-18-2012), Glen Clark (11-13-2011)
Old 11-13-2011, 08:39 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Why do think they call it dope?
Old 11-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Colonel

UD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond repute
people are throwing out words like "addiction" and "conquering" a drug problem. what? we are talking about weed here right? cannabis is less addictive than coffee. in fact, it is not physically addictive at all. being addicted to weed is like being addicted to your favorite cereal. am i missing something?
I'm wondering where you read that marijuana isn't "physically addictive at all" and being addicted is like being addicted to your favorite cereal.

According to the National Institute of Drug Abuse, marijuana is addictive and has a negative effect on cognitive abilities (attention, memory, learning, judgement, motor coordination, reaction time), social life, and physical health. And the effects can last for days or weeks after use.

http://drugabuse.gov/ResearchReports...arijuana4.html

It seems that smoking marijuana would be detrimental to Geron if he wants to succeed as a student and basketball player.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:25 PM
1st Lieutenant

st marys is a glorious beacon of lightst marys is a glorious beacon of lightst marys is a glorious beacon of lightst marys is a glorious beacon of lightst marys is a glorious beacon of lightst marys is a glorious beacon of light
Hawkoooo is right that marijuana doesn't cause physical withdraw but it is psychologically addictive (same with cocaine) and can cause depression and anxiety in heavy users.

I don't want to get into a giant debate over this, but in my opinion anyone who is a chronic user of chronic is not doing themselves (or their loved ones) any favors.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:27 PM

Any good athlete with a chance to earn a free education by putting a round ball through a round hoop and threatens to blow it by smoking weed to jeopardize his college recruitment either has rocks for brains or has very little interest in being in college at all.

Basically the only rules for gifted HS athletes we ask are:
1. Dont steal anything
2. Dont beat your girlfriend
3. Keep your nose and lips away from the coke and weed table at the party
4. Dont down a 40oz and get in a car and try to wrap yourself around a telephone pole

Basically thats all any college worth its salt is asking. Doesnt sound like they are asking for very much. How much further can we dumb down the expectations.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:30 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by UD Sam View Post
I'm wondering where you read that marijuana isn't "physically addictive at all" and being addicted is like being addicted to your favorite cereal.

According to the National Institute of Drug Abuse, marijuana is addictive and has a negative effect on cognitive abilities (attention, memory, learning, judgement, motor coordination, reaction time), social life, and physical health. And the effects can last for days or weeks after use.

http://drugabuse.gov/ResearchReports...arijuana4.html

It seems that smoking marijuana would be detrimental to Geron if he wants to succeed as a student and basketball player.
You should probably stick to research outside of the government realm. We have already discussed their inherent (and somewhat confusing) bias. Remember, the DEA considers marijuana to be more dangerous than heroin. I'll give them attention, memory (short-term only), and maybe reaction time. Social life? Physical health? Judgment? I would love to see their reasoning to support those three. Bald conclusions are not research. Point me to one credible study (not government sponsored) that backs any of that stuff up. I would love to read it. Remember, cannabis has never caused the death of a human in recorded history. In fact, it is virtually impossible to overdoes (you would suffocate first).

I'm sorry, but how could consuming marijuana negatively affect a basketball player (outside of the legal strictures)? Assuming safe consumption techniques such as vaporizing or ingesting, I would think marijuana would be an excellent supplement for full time athletes. To put on muscle mass you MUST consume vast amounts of calories. I can think of no better way to accomplish this than marijuana. People think its easy to put on weight but putting on muscle mass is very difficult. What else is key? Rest! Marijuana is an excellent sleep aid. I imagine the rigors of being a student athlete are very stressful and sometimes even depressing. Weed to the rescue again! Oh and the pain associated with practice and game injuries, not to mention the constant ripping of your muscles during workouts. A natural risk free pain medication could be a great way to counteract some of that, no?

Alcohol has been shown to have very negative affects on training. We all know what it does to our waist lines! I would feel much better knowing our players were safe and sound in their apartments enjoying some cannabis then out on the town getting wasted.

There is not a single doubt in my mind that current UD basketball players smoke pot. I have actual personal knowledge that UD players smoked weed in season when I was at UD (would never name names). There is no doubt in my mind that some of the best athletes in the world smoke pot, at every level. You think NBA/NFL players don't smoke weed?!?!?! Drug tests are easy to pass, especially if you are smart and have money. The only reason weed is considered "wrong" is because it is illegal. In essence WE created the current perception of marijuana use. If you went back in time and asked a pre-1930s American citizen if he/she thought cannabis was "morally wrong" they likely would not even understand the question.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:45 PM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
seems as if this is one where UD should let someone else give him his 2nd (or is it 3rd) chance. I am not for bringing people who can't follow rules onto a college campus with a scholarship. I wish the young man the best but he really needs to demonstrate some ability to follow rules.

Last edited by Sea Bass; 11-13-2011 at 10:38 PM..
Old 11-13-2011, 10:07 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,570 Times in 5,078 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
To me it doesn't really matter if smoking pot should be legal or illegal. It's more about Geron choosing to do illegal things repeatedly. That is just poor decsion making.

He sounds like a very good player. I think there is a chance that he could make us a better basketball team in the short term. I think there is a good chance that he could hurt the program with his lack of decision making skills which could catch up to us in the long term.

I don't get too worked up over people smoking weed, but because the people I run across in daily life who smell like they just water bonged in an unventilated area seem to be zombie-like, lethargic, etc, it doesn't inspire me to look highly upon the practice. Also, it seems most employers will avoid hiring those on this drug. Maybe those employees should go to the employers and make the case that they are getting better rest by smoking pot, leading them to be more effective workers. Honestly, if I were hiring, I would probably avoid the pot heads, believing it is in my best self-interest.

Last edited by Fudd; 11-13-2011 at 10:30 PM..
Old 11-13-2011, 10:29 PM

Wait a minute, college athletes smoking weed? I thought they were broke and didn't even have laundry money?

Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Viperstick (11-15-2011)
Old 11-13-2011, 11:10 PM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Wait a minute, college athletes smoking weed? I thought they were broke and didn't even have laundry money?
I guess that $2000 we're going to give them is going to go up in smoke.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Chris R (11-13-2011), CraSch (11-14-2011), UD Sam (11-14-2011)
Old 11-14-2011, 12:22 AM
Major

singlet_of_truth is a jewel in the roughsinglet_of_truth is a jewel in the roughsinglet_of_truth is a jewel in the roughsinglet_of_truth is a jewel in the rough
There is not a single doubt in my mind that current UD basketball players smoke pot. I have actual personal knowledge that UD players smoked weed in season when I was at UD (would never name names). There is no doubt in my mind that some of the best athletes in the world smoke pot, at every level. You think NBA/NFL players don't smoke weed?!?!?! Drug tests are easy to pass, especially if you are smart and have money. The only reason weed is considered "wrong" is because it is illegal. In essence WE created the current perception of marijuana use. If you went back in time and asked a pre-1930s American citizen if he/she thought cannabis was "morally wrong" they likely would not even understand the question.
I think the list of people who smoke pot even into their adult years is larger than what most people think. I also think that the list of incredibly succesful people who smoke pot is way larger than what most people think. Steve Jobs has admitted to dabbling in drugs - I pegged him for a pot smoker. If you believe the rumors that have existed for years, Sam Zell, a real estate billionaire, is a frequent partaker. I've met executive management of companies (large public companies) who smoked pot. I never got into it - but I don't hold a strong prejudice against it. If you're waking up in the morning in your 30's and smoking it, you've probably got issues. But you do as well if you're drinking a beer in the a.m. What's all this mean for Geron? No clue, because no one seems to have any facts about what he actually did.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:17 AM
Colonel

You should probably stick to research outside of the government realm. We have already discussed their inherent (and somewhat confusing) bias. Point me to one credible study (not government sponsored) that backs any of that stuff up. I would love to read it.
Every article I read listed the same side effects I mentioned in my previous post....and there were many more side effects that I didn't mention (respiratory problems, increased risk of lung cancer, tremors, decreased blood flow to brain, and more).
http://familydoctor.org/familydoctor/en/diseases-conditions/marijuana-use.html
http://science.howstuffworks.com/marijuana4.htm
http://www.marijuana-addiction.net/marijuana-side-effects.htm
http://www.nida.nih.gov/infofacts/marijuana.html
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/Marijuana-Side-Effects.html

how could consuming marijuana negatively affect a basketball player (outside of the legal strictures)?
In my previous post, I listed the effect marijuana has on motor coordination and cognitive abilities (impaired motor skills, slower reaction time, poor judgement, difficulty learning, lack of attention, and loss of memory)....which would lower a basketball player's performance.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD Sam For This Totally Excellent Post:
CraSch (11-14-2011), longtimefan (11-14-2011), San Diego Flyer (11-14-2011)
Old 11-14-2011, 07:32 AM
Brigadier General

Maybe if they toked up right before tip-off. Clearly that is not what I meant.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:29 AM

shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
you guys keep saying "drugs" and i thought the kid was just caught with weed. was he selling mass quantities or something? somebody help me out here. people are throwing out words like "addiction" and "conquering" a drug problem. what? we are talking about weed here right? cannabis is less addictive than coffee. in fact, it is not physically addictive at all. being addicted to weed is like being addicted to your favorite cereal.

am i missing something?
This discussion shouldn't revolve around the social opinions of narcotics. The severity of the drug doesn't need to come into play here. It has no bearing on the real issue.

The real issue is that Johnson has had opportunities to do things that other athletes wish they could. Be a DI ball player. The bottom line, no matter what your opinion on weed is...is that he had rules to follow to take advantage of the opportunity of playing ball for a free education. The rules are "don't smoke weed". He did, well aware of the recourse for doing so. It doesn't matter if it was weed, drinking, powder, etc...there were consequences for his actions, even if that action was a minor weed issue.

Too many want to dumb down the real issue and justify his actions because they were minor. It doesn't matter. This may sound silly, but if his PO said, you can't speed in a car, and he speeds in a car, he will have punishment.

This isn't some school policy on underage drinking, smoking, or anything else. This was a PO stating, "If you do X, you will go to prison." Pretty clear consequence if you ask me. And his decision was to put himself in a position to violate those terms. That decision says much more than the actual severity of the actions.
CraSch (11-14-2011), springborofan (11-14-2011), UD Sam (11-14-2011)
Old 11-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Brigadier General

I suppose I got on my soap box and strayed too far off topic, my apologies. Obviously violating the terms of your probation or parole is "wrong." Obviously, attempting to break into a home to steal a freakin' Xbox is also wrong. I only meant to say that using cannabis in and of itself is not wrong. And of course I have very serious doubts about the wisdom of drug tests being used as probation/parole conditions.

Why not give the guy a chance though? If he screws up again...cut him.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:22 AM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
If Archie was willing to take the chance, I wouldn't have much of an issue with. I'd have him on a tighter leash than most, but like many, I feel if Geron has truely turned his life around (color me skeptical at this point) staying away from Dayton may be in his best interest. I'd imaine it would be pretty tough to push away the same outside influences that were helping you down the wrong path just 2 months ago.

Basketball wise, he's probably exactly what UD needs for next year, a backup 2 that can play the point in a pinch. I don't love the idea of getting a 2 year player to back up or start over Sanford who also has only 2 seasons in a UD uniform, I'd prefer a frosh, but I'd rather have a really good Juco with 2 years of eligibility (legal issues aside) than a mediocre freshman with 4 years of eligibility.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:40 AM

3 strikes....he's out!

In April '09 Johnson recognized that the xbox heist was a bad decision...he states in the DDN article below that:

“I learned a lesson. Now I know this is serious. I’m either going to have a basketball life or ... I don’t know.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayto...son-96027.html

But did he really learn a lesson? Probably not as this March 9, 2011 articles demonstrates:

"Geron Johnson, 18, and Elijah Pittman, 19, were arrested in separate incidents for marijuana possession — Johnson in October and Pittman in August. They were placed in a pretrial intervention program for first-time offenders, which meant they could avoid a jail sentence as long as they met specific conditions: payment for fines and supervision, attendance at substance abuse counseling and reporting monthly to the Jackson County Probation Office. Both men violated those conditions..."

So off to jail he went, but just for 30 days....piece of cake, right??? Learned his lesson, right???

http://www.newsherald.com/articles/marianna-91656-players-basketball.html

"Johnson, 18, reported to the Jackson County Correctional Facility on April 1 to begin his 30-day sentence but was allowed to leave for a few hours each day to attend classes at Chipola. Five days in, he failed a drug test at the jail. Facing the full brunt of the original marijuana possession charge this time, he pleaded no contest."

No contest??? Enjoy your 6-month vacation at the pokey!

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayto...m-1137546.html

He was smoking dope - against court orders - while in jail!!! WTF!

After all this, is there any reason to think he's learned any lessons? Really!??

Last edited by rollo; 11-14-2011 at 11:40 AM..
9 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (11-15-2011), Flyer 86 (01-12-2012), Flyer_Tom (11-14-2011), Gazoo (11-14-2011), hawkoooo (11-14-2011), longtimefan (11-14-2011), shocka43 (11-14-2011), UD Sam (11-14-2011), Viperstick (11-15-2011)
Old 11-14-2011, 10:57 AM

Why not give the guy a chance though? If he screws up again...cut him.
At this point, it takes a ton of commitment for a four year University to make the call. If it is the wrong call, you have now put yourself in a position that you may have passed up on another quality recruit in the name of giving someone a chance. I am for second chances, but not third and fourth. The writing is on the wall. Let someone else take the chance. The secondary consequences would be a high hurdle for a program that is trying to keep building on what they have. Now...if it pays off...it is a lucky gamble versus a calculated risk. The odds aren't one the positive sides favor IMO.
Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (11-14-2011)
Old 11-14-2011, 11:32 AM
Captain

UDan71 will become famous soon enoughUDan71 will become famous soon enough
Wink Edwards...not Johnson

I think getting a commitment from Kedar Edwards would render this entire discussion about Geron moot.

Go Archie, snag Kedar.

(Love that word "moot" Reminds me of the Jesse Jackson segment on Sat. Night Live in 1984: "The Question is Moot" http://menino.com/mirror/question-is-moot.mov.)
Mad Props to UDan71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
IndianaFlyer (11-14-2011)
Old 11-14-2011, 04:02 PM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
If someone told me I could go to UD for free, and potentially make it to the NBA where I get paid a man's salary to play a boy's game, but a requirement of the deal was that I am not permitted to drink alcohol (or anything except filtered water for that matter) I would say "done". Giving up an illegal narcotic apparently is too much to ask for that deal. What does that tell you? This is not a 1-time mistake, this is someone who appears to have habitual decision making lapses.

Doesn't matter your personal opinion of Geron, or of pot, it's irrelevant to the discussion. I hope he lives a long healthy life. I just don't want it to involve UD's basketball team.

Seriously? Ok, let's fling the doors open to every degenerate, and the lower the better--WE can't risk all of society since apparently UD is responsible for the whole of it.

Everyone has a different level of sensitivity to this issue but to me we should help this kid . . . get a scholarship somewhere else.

I hope he finds someone who will give him a second chance, I don't desire for him to fail, I just don't think UD is the place to do it. There are plenty of harder roads to travel than the ones he's already past. That's his burden to carry now.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by UDan71 View Post
I think getting a commitment from Kedar Edwards would render this entire discussion about Geron moot.

Go Archie, snag Kedar.
That's basically my earlier comment. We only get 13 rolls of the dice total, and many fewer year-to-year, so why mess with a high risk roll?
Old 11-14-2011, 05:13 PM

I hope he finds someone who will give him a second chance, I don't desire for him to fail, I just don't think UD is the place to do it. There are plenty of harder roads to travel than the ones he's already past. That's his burden to carry now.
How's this for a deal...go to the Army for 4 years, get some discipline and an honorable discharge, and pick your school.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:15 PM

longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
I think someone said this earlier. I am in favor of giving second chances - just not third, fourth, and fifth chances.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:00 AM
Colonel

Maybe if they toked up right before tip-off. Clearly that is not what I meant.
As I mentioned in a previous post, the side effects from marijuana can last for days or weeks....so whether a player "tokes up" right before tip-off is irrelevant. Why do I get the impression that you respond to my posts, but obviously don't read them?
Old 11-15-2011, 08:32 AM
Brigadier General

As I mentioned in a previous post, the side effects from marijuana can last for days or weeks....so whether a player "tokes up" right before tip-off is irrelevant. Why do I get the impression that you respond to my posts, but obviously don't read them?
That is absolutely false. There is no such thing as a "highover." Please find me one actual study (you know, with a scientist and experiments) that says any of those side affects last longer than the few hours you are high. Even if they did, I would love to read a study proving that it has a material affect on your ability to function physically and cognitively days and weeks after use. Not some website that just lists side effects and a conclusory statement about their duration. As I said earlier I will give you short-term memory loss (sustained by repeated long-term use). But impaired movement and judgement days and weeks after smoking? WHAT? Have you ever smoked before? Have you ever been around someone who smokes weed?

Long-term habitual use could have some of the consequences you mention, but for the purposes of this discussion your assertions are ludicrous.

THC's interaction with the human body is actually quite harmonious. Humans (and most other mammals) have THC receptors in their brains, specifically adapted to bind with THC when it enters through the blood stream. Consumed in its pure form, there is very little research that says THC has any negative physical consequences whatsoever.

Forget studies and science for a second. Practically speaking, using only your common sense, do you actually believe someone who uses marijuana a day (or even 12 hours) before an athletic even would have any noticeable lapse in physical ability? Or even mental ability for that matter? Would they just forget how to play the game? Even if there was some minor lapse, would it be material? Would it be enough to notice?

This attack on marijuana has got to stop. If you believe in prohibiting marijuana than by default you MUST believe in prohibition of alcohol and tobacco. If not you are a hypocrite. If you believe in prohibition in any form (with exceptions for maybe bomb making material and high powered weapons) than you simply do not understand economics and history.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:59 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,557 Times in 3,702 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by singlet_of_truth View Post
I think the list of people who smoke pot even into their adult years is larger than what most people think. I also think that the list of incredibly succesful people who smoke pot is way larger than what most people think. .
I think Singlet is correct on this subject.

I had not been around or seen anyone smoking for years until playing in a local well known charity golf outing a couple years ago. I was amazed when I was the only one in my foursome to not share a smoke a few times on the course. All three of the others are successful Dayton area business professionals.

Then this summer we were at a Labor Day party in a south suburb, and was a bit shocked when the smoke from the bon fire was not the only smoke in the air. In both cases this was folks in their 40's, successful, family oriented hard working professionals.

Back to the topic we are discussing, the kid has had his three strikes, we do not need him here.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:10 AM

I know a very successful prostitute/stripper in Centerville with a >$400k house....therefore all your daughters should follow in her footsteps.

Just to be a jerk I'm going to send mine to college to do something useless like be a nurse.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:08 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
I don't care what the kid did in his past, it's the present, which we're aware of, and the unknown future that worry me about him. After all that he's put himself through, the last thing I want to hear his "present-day" coach say now are that there still are grade issues and he's still having to stay on him. Any kid with a freakin' brain that really wants to pursue his future does not need 3-4 chances. Pass on this kid.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:29 AM

Weed might be as safe as pumpkin pie, but when it comes to earning a free college degree, you abstain to position yourself for your long term future. Putting off instant gratification is what adults do. If you want to be treated like one you need to act like one.

The effects good or bad of dope are completely and totally irrelevant. If pumpkin pie was illegal and he kept eating it, it just punishes all the kids that played by the rules. Why should THEY get shafted?
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-15-2011), shocka43 (11-15-2011), UD Sam (11-15-2011)
Old 11-15-2011, 11:53 AM

The effects good or bad of dope are completely and totally irrelevant. If pumpkin pie was illegal and he kept eating it, it just punishes all the kids that played by the rules. Why should THEY get shafted?
Posted via Mobile Device
Kind of like Private Gomer Pyle and a doughnut...
Old 11-15-2011, 02:08 PM
Brigadier General

Weed might be as safe as pumpkin pie, but when it comes to earning a free college degree, you abstain to position yourself for your long term future. Putting off instant gratification is what adults do. If you want to be treated like one you need to act like one.

Posted via Mobile Device
Chris I am not saying that Geron Johnson should keep smoking weed in the face of the law just for the principle of it. While I believe it is a shame that there are criminal and academic consequences for a seemingly harmless activity, that is the way of the world and Geron made his choices. I have said twice now that I do not condone Geron's behavior.

However, I also cannot condone a poster making assertions that simply are not backed up by logic. I have spent countless hours researching this topic and the devastating affect it has on our society. It is bad enough that so many Americans' opinions about marijuana and prohibition are warped by years and years of wrong minded policy and the irresponsibility of the media. I know this is not a political forum and I have been critical of political posts in the past, but this is beyond opinion. If a poster asserts bogus information it should be controverted, regardless of the subject matter.

Again I apologize for ranting and raving, but I am very passionate about this topic.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Captain

31770 is a jewel in the rough31770 is a jewel in the rough31770 is a jewel in the rough

Posted via Mobile Device
god i love pumpkin pie... i don't smoke it anymore tho...
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to 31770 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BallgameJohnny (11-15-2011), Glen Clark (11-15-2011)
Old 11-15-2011, 04:47 PM
Colonel

That is absolutely false. There is no such thing as a "highover." Please find me one actual study (you know, with a scientist and experiments) that says any of those side affects last longer than the few hours you are high. Even if they did, I would love to read a study proving that it has a material affect on your ability to function physically and cognitively days and weeks after use. Not some website that just lists side effects and a conclusory statement about their duration. As I said earlier I will give you short-term memory loss (sustained by repeated long-term use). But impaired movement and judgement days and weeks after smoking? WHAT? Have you ever smoked before? Have you ever been around someone who smokes weed?

Long-term habitual use could have some of the consequences you mention, but for the purposes of this discussion your assertions are ludicrous.

THC's interaction with the human body is actually quite harmonious. Humans (and most other mammals) have THC receptors in their brains, specifically adapted to bind with THC when it enters through the blood stream. Consumed in its pure form, there is very little research that says THC has any negative physical consequences whatsoever.

Forget studies and science for a second. Practically speaking, using only your common sense, do you actually believe someone who uses marijuana a day (or even 12 hours) before an athletic even would have any noticeable lapse in physical ability? Or even mental ability for that matter? Would they just forget how to play the game? Even if there was some minor lapse, would it be material? Would it be enough to notice?

This attack on marijuana has got to stop. If you believe in prohibiting marijuana than by default you MUST believe in prohibition of alcohol and tobacco. If not you are a hypocrite. If you believe in prohibition in any form (with exceptions for maybe bomb making material and high powered weapons) than you simply do not understand economics and history.
My only purpose in pointing out the effects of marijuana usage was because we have teenagers and young adults who read UD Pride...and I wanted them to be aware of the side effects so they wouldn't think it was harmless (as you are stating). I certainly don't want my sons to think that. And I am not saying alcohol or smoking cigarettes is less dangerous...I don't know. I am done with this subject, and I'm sure other posters are getting tired of the back and forth on whether marijuana is harmless or not.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD Sam For This Totally Excellent Post:
longtimefan (11-15-2011), rollo (11-15-2011), THirt (11-15-2011), ud69 (11-15-2011)
Old 11-15-2011, 05:28 PM
Brigadier General

My only purpose in pointing out the effects of marijuana usage was because we have teenagers and young adults who read UD Pride...and I wanted them to be aware of the side effects so they wouldn't think it was harmless (as you are stating). I certainly don't want my sons to think that. And I am not saying alcohol or smoking cigarettes is less dangerous...I don't know. I am done with this subject, and I'm sure other posters are getting tired of the back and forth on whether marijuana is harmless or not.
You are missing the point. There is no debate. Do a little research. You'd rather your children and other children who read this forum believe the lies they have been told their entire lives instead of knowing the facts? Why don't you want your sons to know the truth? I am being chastised for shedding light on fallacies. I thought this was an open forum?

You don't know alcohol or cigarettes are more dangerous? Do you know that the Earth is round? That it is not the center of the universe? Alcohol and cigarettes kill people every day! Marijuana has never killed a single human being ever! Peoples lives are destroyed by alcohol and cigarettes and you don't know that they are more dangerous? How can you say that?

Sick and tired of the back and forth? What back and forth? I am stating facts and the people disagreeing with me are stating myths and falsehoods. Addictive? Myth. Gateway drug? Myth. Dangerous? Myth. Makes you stupid? Myth. Makes you lazy? Myth. Creates crime? Myth. Causes lung cancer? Myth.

Come on man...
Old 11-15-2011, 05:34 PM

Causes the munchies?

hawkoooo if you want to take up the cannibas for/against debate in off-topic, knock yourself out. This topic is more about whether a recruit can follow the law or not like all the other recruitable student athletes and whether the inability to remain lawful is indicative of a sour apple. Not whether the law is inappropriate, or if you can do molecular biology while blazed up.

Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Viperstick (03-04-2012)
Old 11-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Major

You are missing the point. There is no debate. Do a little research. You'd rather your children and other children who read this forum believe the lies they have been told their entire lives instead of knowing the facts? Why don't you want your sons to know the truth? I am being chastised for shedding light on fallacies. I thought this was an open forum?

You don't know alcohol or cigarettes are more dangerous? Do you know that the Earth is round? That it is not the center of the universe? Alcohol and cigarettes kill people every day! Marijuana has never killed a single human being ever! Peoples lives are destroyed by alcohol and cigarettes and you don't know that they are more dangerous? How can you say that?

Sick and tired of the back and forth? What back and forth? I am stating facts and the people disagreeing with me are stating myths and falsehoods. Addictive? Myth. Gateway drug? Myth. Dangerous? Myth. Makes you stupid? Myth. Makes you lazy? Myth. Creates crime? Myth. Causes lung cancer? Myth.

Come on man...
What's the over under on whether Hawkoooo has ever smoked pot.....? I kid, I kid.

I guess the only relevancy of the pot discusssion is that if Geron's sole offenses are (i) stealing an xbox and (ii) smoking pot on occassion (not dealing, etc), he isn't the monster that some are making him out to be and certainly nothing that warranted 6 weeks in jail. I don't see any allegations of violence (coach punching) and other things that would put up an immediate red flag for me.

That being said, he has blown a number of chances. Should we give him another? I'm not so sure. Regardless of whether smoking weed is bad, he was staring down jail if he did it again - and he did it again. And it appears that his acamedics are still a mess. I'd feel a whole lot better about him if he was carrying a 3.5 GPA.

It will be interesting to see what Archie does with this kid.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:41 PM

Again I apologize for ranting and raving
So stop doing it.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:10 AM

Kansas?!

Ran across this article about Geron from last month...curious who else is on his list.

http://www.jucorecruiting.com/?p=1085
Old 01-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Major

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Ran across this article about Geron from last month...curious who else is on his list.

http://www.jucorecruiting.com/?p=1085
Wow. Maybe we should bring out the welcome mat. Hawkoo can hook the guy up to keep him out of trouble.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Major

flyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant future
Geron got booted from his second juco. Circumstances seem a bit strange, but with the number of incidents he's racked up, it's hard to say he's hasn't been given a fair shake.

Sounds like Memphis is no longer an option. Hopefully, he can clean things up and find a school.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayto...t-1334079.html

Last edited by flyer016; 03-04-2012 at 05:32 PM..
Old 03-04-2012, 06:19 PM

Kid has been given enough chances. Good riddance. He will finish his career out at some sort of non DI school. If a DI school takes a chance with him at this point, they are either stupid, or don't care about their reputation.
Bill McPeek (03-04-2012), T-Bone 84 (03-04-2012), Tony T 71 (03-04-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 08:44 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Back when Huggs was at UC, that would have been an option, but Cronin's running a fairly clean program, and WVU isn't letting Huggs take the same risks in Morgantown that he took in Cincy. And with the way that Cal put Memphis under the microscope (and with Johnson blowing one more opportunity), they definitely don't want to risk it at this point. And not that this would have a huge impact, but SI this week had a pretty scathing article on how UCLA took on bad actors and went in the toilet as a result (at least, compared to when they made it to 3 straight Final Fours).

"Character" is a bigger issue with many programs now. They want kids who won't wind-up on the MSN homepage because they sold or used dope, molested coeds, fenced stolen merchandise, etc. Johnson has done at least 2 of those 3, and he doesn't seem to be able to control himself to the point that he can stop doing bad stuff. Right now, I can't think of a program that is so desperate for talent that they're willing to risk his downside and offer him a 'ship. Too bad for him. I hope he can turn his life around someday. But I'm glad UD has said "Not here".
Old 03-04-2012, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
They want kids who won't wind-up on the MSN homepage because they sold or used dope, molested coeds, fenced stolen merchandise, etc. Johnson has done at least 2 of those 3, and he doesn't seem to be able to control himself to the point that he can stop doing bad stuff.
You forgot burglary...that one takes the cake...
Old 03-05-2012, 12:39 AM
1st Lieutenant

46 Chambers Alumni has a spectacular aura about46 Chambers Alumni has a spectacular aura about
He stole a cake too?
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to 46 Chambers Alumni For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (03-05-2012), Glen Clark (03-05-2012), westchesterflyer (03-05-2012)
Old 04-15-2012, 01:02 PM

Thanked 6,126 Times in 4,171 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Johnson signed with Memphis yesterday.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...D=happeningnow

If Geron Johnson qualifies, remains out of trouble and becomes the high-level backcourt force the University of Memphis expects, coach Josh Pastner will look like a genius.

If it doesn’t, and Johnson’s history of legal issues continues, Pastner will be criticized for gambling on a player who has been given chance after chance because of his talent and gone on to blow most of them.

Johnson, who was dismissed from his second junior college in as many seasons in February, signed with Memphis on Saturday.

The 6-3, 200-pound combo guard from Dayton, Ohio, joins a 2012 Tigers signing class that also consists of Atlanta-area forward prospects Shaq Goodwin (6-8, 230) and Damien Wilson (6-5, 195).

However, before Johnson can play at Memphis next season, he has to meet NCAA eligibility requirements, which will be tougher to do following his dismissal in February from Garden City (Kan.) Community College.

Johnson, who will have two years of eligibility at Memphis if he qualifies, was dismissed from the school after repeated run-ins with police, but three of the four citations he received in February have been dropped. Johnson was found guilty of disorderly conduct on March 7 and required to pay a $250 fine and court costs.

“He’s got some work to do (to become academically eligible). It’s not a slam dunk. He knows what needs to be done and it’s on him, getting it done,” Pastner said.

Asked about Johnson’s history and whether he would be on a shorter leash than his teammates because of it, Pastner said: “He understands what the expectations are, how I am and my tolerance level for stuff. He understands that. Now, I don’t want to pigeonhole him. I think the fairest thing is that we don’t put a negative view on it. He knows where I am and that doing things the right way off the court is a point of emphasis in my program.”

Johnson was a top-100 2010 prospect out of Dunbar High in Dayton, Ohio, but academic and legal issues — he was arrested during his junior year for attempted burglary — led to his enrolling at Chipola College in Marianna, Fla.

As a freshman at Chipola, he was arrested for marijuana possession and eventually dismissed from the team.

Johnson hasn’t spoken publicly since his legal issues at Garden City began with a Feb. 9 citation for allegedly stealing another student’s cell phone. That charge and two others — a criminal trespassing citation and a violation of a protection order — have been dropped.

“I did a lot of homework, really checking into things, and not one time did it come across as he’s a threat to society or anything like that,” Pastner said. “The young man has made a mistake here or there, and part of that was he was in a mode where he was following instead of being a leader.

“I see the potential for him to do a lot of good things. What he needs is good structure and good discipline.”

Johnson, regarded by some recruiting analysts as the nation’s top junior-college prospect, was averaging around 19 points, six rebounds and four assists as a sophomore at Garden City before his dismissal.

If he can become eligible, Johnson would give Memphis an explosive scoring option at the 2 position next season who can shift to point guard when needed.

“One of the things he’s best at is that he really can defend on the ball and he’s a very good guard rebounder. And on top of that, he’s explosive,” Pastner said.

“He fits the way we play. He’s a high-level player.”

Pastner said he hopes Johnson can get eligible and be on campus by the second session of summer school in July.

Last edited by ud2; 04-15-2012 at 01:11 PM..
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (04-15-2012)
Old 04-15-2012, 07:00 PM

Some behavioral issues are at the DNA level.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

keats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond repute
I really truly hope he succeeds at Memphis.
I just don't think it would be fair to ask him to try to do that so close to home. Too bad for us Flyer Fans. IF he does succeed, it will be 'how did he get away'. Just seems too many temptations which are too close here.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:16 PM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE_5XwMeIoM

I thought this video of a younger Geron Johnson was entertaining. He bets $100 that he can make 8 jump shots in a row. There is some foul language, and if the mods feel that the video is inappropriate, then feel free to delete the post.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:23 PM
Captain

chicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud of
How/why do you find this stuff?
Old 04-15-2012, 09:36 PM

I googled Geron Johnson, and it just popped up. I didn't go looking for it.
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
chicago92 (04-15-2012)
Old 04-15-2012, 09:55 PM

Thanked 10,134 Times in 5,868 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Put me down as having no regrets that we are not getting Johnson. If he becomes a first team all american and leads Memphis to the title, I could care less. It is one thing to take a risk with a kid with some academic or personal problems, but we need to draw the line with a multiple offense criminal with no interest in education. He may never play for Memphis, but it reflects badly on their program and school that they are going after him.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UD Sam (04-16-2012)
Old 04-15-2012, 11:04 PM
1st Lieutenant

FIFO28 will become famous soon enoughFIFO28 will become famous soon enough
Good luck to Geron I hope he gets his life in order. I fell confident that Archie will get us what we need.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:20 PM
Colonel

Falcon7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Viperstick View Post
I have seen first hand the wreckage drugs can make of a life. It's not because they're illegal, it's not because they're expensive. It's because they're so powerfully addictive they consume everything about a person and drive that person to seek that high to the virtual exclusion of all else.

Tread lightly with someone with such a checkered past. I think there's more downside than upside in this instance.
And it's only those street drugs, not made by the pharmaceutical and alcohol companies, right...