Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 06-26-2008, 08:15 AM

tman is an unknown quantity at this point
WDTN----I hate you

WDTN-----what a joke

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Certainly the Olympics are one of the greatest sporting events that take place on the planet.
Its Olympic time again.

Now the bad news.
WDTN tv 2 in dayton is the only station in the Miami Valley that has NOT reached an agreement (Time Warner) to broadcast in HD on cable . And guess who has the Olympics.

Viewers all over the world will be watching--many in HD, yet here in Dayton many of us are forced to watch the grainy ,crappy picture that tv 2 and Time Warner provides.

This is an absolute joke.
I urge you to call Steve (the boss ) @ 293-2101 tv 2 and thank him for NOTHING.
Thanks Steve to you and the rest of your group for subjecting Dayton viewers to perhaps the worst picture for the greatest event in sports.

Viewers in Cincy, Cleveland, Columbus, Toledo all over the US, Europe, Asia etc, will enjoy the Olympics in stunning detail---Here in Dayton---tv 2 --encourages Daytonians to climb the roof with a coat hanger and hope for the best.

Last edited by tman; 06-26-2008 at 01:53 PM..
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2008, 08:39 AM
Major

FlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really nice
Back so soon?
Old 06-26-2008, 08:47 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,388 Times in 620 Posts
AC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond repute
dont send a note to WDTN....contact NBC directly. This is their showcase piece and if you make enough noice maybe they can put a phone call into WDTN to get it worked out.

too bad you don't have my signal because i couldn't care less about the olympics. they lost me long ago.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:52 AM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Glad to see he's back since I'm waiting to hear tomorrow's retraction of his statement from last year when he said Roy Hibbert was the best big man in the country and would be the #1 overall pick in the draft. I believe the phrase was "I guarantee it."

Utah is thought to be taking him at #23 overall, behind Beasley, Lopez, Love, Randolph, Jordan, and probably others.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:02 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 1,403 Times in 429 Posts
Flyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond repute
Add one more reason to the already long list of why DirecTV is better than Time Warner.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
Glad to see he's back since I'm waiting to hear tomorrow's retraction of his statement from last year when he said Roy Hibbert was the best big man in the country and would be the #1 overall pick in the draft. I believe the phrase was "I guarantee it."

Utah is thought to be taking him at #23 overall, behind Beasley, Lopez, Love, Randolph, Jordan, and probably others.
Um What???
Sorry--you have me mixed up with someone else.
In your continuing effort to prove me wrong ,your mind is telling you things Ive said---that I haven't said. Again.

Perhaps this will help-----one word-----Xanax.

Last edited by tman; 06-26-2008 at 01:54 PM..
Old 06-26-2008, 09:32 AM
1st Lieutenant

Spuds will become famous soon enoughSpuds will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by tman View Post
Um What???
Sorry--you have me mixed up with someone else.
In your continuing effort to prove me wrong ,your mind is telling you things Ive said---that I haven't said.

Perhaps this will help-----one word-----Xanax.
tman is my hero!!! Thank you for giving me a laugh this Thursday Morning!
Old 06-26-2008, 10:24 AM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
WDTN-----what a joke

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Certainly the Olympics are one of the greatest sporting events that take place on the planet.

Now the bad news.
WDTN tv 2 in dayton is the only station in the Miami Valley that has NOT reached an agreement (Time Warner) to broadcast in HD on cable . And guess who has the Olympics.

Viewers all over the world will be watching--many in HD, yet here in Dayton many of us are forced to watch the grainy crappy picture that tv 2 on Time Warner provides.

This is an absolute joke.
I urge you to call Steve (the boss ) @ 293-2101 tv 2 and thank him for NOTHING.
Thanks Steve to you and the rest of your group for subjecting Dayton viewers to perhaps the worst picture for the greatest event in sports.

Viewers in Cincy, Cleveland, Columbus, Toledo all over the US, Europe, Asia etc, will enjoy the Olympics in stunning detail---Here in Dayton---tv 2 --encourages Daytonians to climb the roof with a coat hanger and hope for the best.

I feel your pain as it truly sux trying to watch channel 2 during prime time on a plasma TV, the picture is horrible, but calling/emailing WDTN will do absolutely nothing regarding this issue. Problem is WDTN is owned by LinTV which does not allow its individual stations to negotiated deals with local cable companies. LinTV is trying to do a blanket deal with Time Warner regarding its HD programming instead of letting each individual station negotiate the deal locally. Reportedly WDTN has been broadcasting in HD for the past 4 years. You can get some HD “rabbit ears” and enjoy the HD programming, but this is something I feel a cable subscriber should not have to do in order to watch TV.

Last edited by Ready Action; 06-26-2008 at 10:27 AM..
Old 06-26-2008, 10:59 AM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
BTW, one can't get Dayton HD locals thru DirecTv either. I use an external UHF antenna to pick up all the Dayton local HD channels ... works great.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Ready Action View Post
I feel your pain as it truly sux trying to watch channel 2 during prime time on a plasma TV, the picture is horrible, but calling/emailing WDTN will do absolutely nothing regarding this issue. Problem is WDTN is owned by LinTV which does not allow its individual stations to negotiated deals with local cable companies. LinTV is trying to do a blanket deal with Time Warner regarding its HD programming instead of letting each individual station negotiate the deal locally. Reportedly WDTN has been broadcasting in HD for the past 4 years. You can get some HD “rabbit ears” and enjoy the HD programming, but this is something I feel a cable subscriber should not have to do in order to watch TV.
Thanks Ready.
The number and name I provided is the party I'm told I need to direct this concern too.

I have contacted NBC. TW and tv 2.
Is it possible for TW to broadcast, even for a temporary basis---NBC from Cincy or Columbus.----which is in HD?

How many tv stations do Lintv own and why is Dayton the only market in Ohio being screwed? Does NBC have a say? Can we lose tv 2 altogether in exchange for an NBC affiliate in Cincy, etc?

Do they think Daytonians are so foolish that we don't notice? Or care.

TIME WARNER -HELP US!

Last edited by tman; 06-26-2008 at 11:27 AM..
Old 06-26-2008, 11:10 AM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Here in Dayton---tv 2 --encourages Daytonians to climb the roof with a coat hanger and hope for the best.
You can get some HD “rabbit ears” and enjoy the HD programming, but this is something I feel a cable subscriber should not have to do in order to watch TV.
Ready Action is correct. You don't have to "climb the roof with a coat hanger." Get some HD "rabbit ears" and hook them up. It is pretty simple. I know several people who have done it.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
Ready Action is correct. You don't have to "climb the roof with a coat hanger." Get some HD "rabbit ears" and hook them up. It is pretty simple. I know several people who have done it.
Thank you captain obvious--You certainly are in tuned with the latest technology.???
Thats how I recieved my picture during the 60's--Only then the picture was BETTER!

You might want to reread his last 19 words.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:29 AM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you captain obvious--You certainly are in tuned with the latest technology.???
Thats how I recieved my picture during the 60's--Only then the picture was BETTER!

You might want to reread his last 19 words.
I read his last 19 words, you moron, but I guess it would be too simple to hook up the rabbit ears, then you wouldn't have anything to complain about.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:05 PM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
depending on where you live an indoor antenna might work.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:09 PM

Thanked 17,099 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
tell me about it. another year of ND football in standard def.

<putting flamesuit on>

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 06-26-2008, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
tell me about it. another year of ND football in standard def.

<putting flamesuit on>
And Golf
Its not just about the Olympics. I avoid tv 2. The picture sux so bad, I just don't watch it.
But there are times you cannot avoid it.
Enough is enough.
Its time to put these greedy *******s to rest. So who are they? Where are they from?

Last edited by tman; 06-26-2008 at 01:24 PM..
Old 06-26-2008, 12:30 PM
Major

Iguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to behold
I recommend this antenna for over the air reception. I bought one a few months ago and it does a great job:

http://www.amazon.com/Terk-Amplified.../dp/B0007MXZB2

WDTN's transmitter is just west of I-75 near Moraine. If you are within 10 miles, you should have no problem picking it up with an indoor antenna. For those that don't watch that much TV, try using just the antenna for a few weeks and you'll realize that Time Warner Cable is a waste of money.

Last edited by Iguomaniac; 06-26-2008 at 12:33 PM..
Old 06-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Major

superfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Ready.
The number and name I provided is the party I'm told I need to direct this concern too.

I have contacted NBC. TW and tv 2.
Is it possible for TW to broadcast, even for a temporary basis---NBC from Cincy or Columbus.----which is in HD?

How many tv stations do Lintv own and why is Dayton the only market in Ohio being screwed? Does NBC have a say? Can we lose tv 2 altogether in exchange for an NBC affiliate in Cincy, etc?

Do they think Daytonians are so foolish that we don't notice? Or care.

TIME WARNER -HELP US!
Here in Columbus we had the same problem with ABC and Fox. They were both owned by Sinclair broadcasting and wouldn't let Time Warner use the signal for free. Time Warner wouldn't pay for a signal that is already available for free with an antenna. Luckily they worked this out about a year ago.

I was using a HD antenna in the meantime, but it is a pain in the butt. You have to switch inputs to watch, so you can't really flip back and forth during commercials and such. And of course the biggest problem, the DVR doesn't work with the antenna. The DVR goes thru the cable box. I never watch anything live, except occasionally sports, but even then I prefer to DVR for about an hour and then I can skip all the commercials and timeouts.

Tman I feel your pain. I cursed Sinclair broadcasting daily and tried to boycott ABC and Fox, but I couldn't escape Fox for football and ABC for Lost. Hopefully, for your sake they will get a deal worked out.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:50 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Don't watch much TV anymore. Most of the good shows are gone and not into all the reality shows. Charter Cable here is St. Louis sux big time. Canceled several years ago and don't miss it.

Few months back went into China-Mart (Wal-Mart) and saw two stacks of HD converters one by RCA and the other Magnavox. After thinking about it went back to get one. Looking I was amazed the RCA stack was full while the Magnavox was empty. Wow I thought, the Magnavox must be really selling like hotcakes and obviously the better unit. Since both were priced the same I asked a clerk when they would be getting in more Magnavox HD converters. He smiled and said oh we have loads of them in the back. Cool I thought, how long before the are on the shelf? Just took them off the shelf a few days ago he said. Why I asked and he said they just had too many returns on the product and were sending them back.

So what I thought was obvious was not what I had thought at all. I did buy the RCA and it does work but with limited reception. Don't think its the fault of the product as much as the location I have it in.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:48 PM
Major

bigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud of
Some observations:

1. LIN/WDTN wants compensation for its HD signal. TWC won't pay because LIN/WDTN is providing it free over the air.

2. If you have a digital tuner in your HDTV, and if you live reasonably close to Dayton, you can hookup a $10 radio shack bowtie antenna to the back of your TV and get a crystal clear HD picture for free (yes, you may have to change inputs on your TV). If you are further away, get a better antenna or put one up in your attic.

I have an attic antenna and get Dayton/Cincinnati/ and Columbus locals in HD -- great for picking up multiple NFL games like the Browns for my wife, or for watching UC basketball.

2a. If you don't want to change inputs on your TV and you want to be able to DVR WDTN programming, get rid of the TWC DVR and get an HD Tivo or DirecTV/Dish service with DVR.

2b. If you don't have an digital tuner in your HDTV, you can pick up an HD tuner. Or you can subscribe to DirecTV/DISH with an HD receiver that does have a digital tuner.

3. TWC HD service is a joke. It took them 3 years to add ESPN2HD. How long will it take for TWC to add ESPNEWS-HD, ESPNU-HD (coming Aug. 2008), BIG TEN NETWORK-HD, CSTV-HD, and the 50 or so other HD channels that TWC does not offer?
Old 06-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,858 Times in 719 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
I didn't even buy a special "HD" antenna. Any UHF antenna will do. I just took a pair of rabbit ears from an old TV and hooked them up, indoors. Most of the newer satellite receivers will let you seamlessly integrate local over the air HDTV channels into your program guide and channel listings. I don't know if the cable boxes do this.

Over the air HDTV is better than cable HDTV anyway, because the cable and satellite companies compress the signal, losing some resolution. It's still higher-def than SDTV, but it's not true HD. Channel 2 (and all the rest) will look better through rabbit ears, and the worst case is that you have to find your TV remote and change the input to "antenna." (The only way that wouldn't work is if you have an old HDTV that doesn't have a digital ATSC tuner built in.)
Old 06-26-2008, 02:37 PM
Brigadier General

Jack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to all
Can someone tell me who sells the conversion guide to what was just said....this HD mess confuses me....

overair, high def, std def, digital cable, 1080i, 1080p, converters, dvr, tivo, twc, rabbit ears, inputs....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....make it stop!
Old 06-26-2008, 03:05 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
...(Wal-Mart) and saw two stacks of HD converters one by RCA and the other Magnavox. After thinking about it went back to get one. Looking I was amazed the RCA stack was full while the Magnavox was empty.
To clarify, the RCA and Magnavox that you noted are not "HD converters", specifically, they are Digital TV converters. Yes, you can watch a local high def program on your current analog TV, but all digital channels are not high def. (Channel 7-2, 7 Weather Now is a standard def channel, broadcasting over the digital spectrum, not the analog spectrum.) Now, the high def programs available on network TV is "down converted" to be able to be viewed on your non-HD TV.

Also, there are other boxes available out there. I have 2 Zenith DTT900 boxes in my house, and they are considered one of the better ones. Circuity City, Best Buy (labeled as an Insignia) and HHGregg have these. Radio Shack may have them as well, but they seem to have the Digital Stream box which is comparable in quality. (My in-laws have one of each.)

As for the Magnavox, yes, Wal-Mart was getting a lot of returns, and there are very bad ratings for them. I think the RCA is okay, but doesn't have as great of internals as the Zenith/Digital Stream. (Zenith's corporate parent, LG, has the patent on the ATSC/Digital TV Transmission standard) GE is going to be releasing one soon in Target, I believe, and Sears is supposed to have some kind. Echostar plans to put one out as well, and then higher end Echostar will be able to set times, which would be nice for people with VCRs.

Currently, I'm using rabbit ears on top of my TV to get my signals for all Dayton stations, but I still have to move them to get a few channels. One day I'm going to make a homemade antenna that looks like a Channel Master 4221 which apparently has very good reception. (Oh, and HD Antenna is a misnomer. There are VHF antennas, UHF antennas, and VHF/UHF antennas. Not HD and non-HD Antennas. If you have an antenna above your roof that you are currently getting analog reception on, you will most likely get digital (high def and standard def) reception on it as well.)

I am *not* an audio/video-phile, nor professional, just been reading other message boards and going through my own situation to figure out what to do.

(As well, you can get 2 $40 coupons from the federal government to help subsidize the digital converter boxes. Go to www.dtv2009.gov and request yours.)

John
Old 06-26-2008, 05:03 PM
Major

superfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bigred View Post
Some observations:

1. LIN/WDTN wants compensation for its HD signal. TWC won't pay because LIN/WDTN is providing it free over the air.

2. If you have a digital tuner in your HDTV, and if you live reasonably close to Dayton, you can hookup a $10 radio shack bowtie antenna to the back of your TV and get a crystal clear HD picture for free (yes, you may have to change inputs on your TV). If you are further away, get a better antenna or put one up in your attic.

I have an attic antenna and get Dayton/Cincinnati/ and Columbus locals in HD -- great for picking up multiple NFL games like the Browns for my wife, or for watching UC basketball.

2a. If you don't want to change inputs on your TV and you want to be able to DVR WDTN programming, get rid of the TWC DVR and get an HD Tivo or DirecTV/Dish service with DVR.

2b. If you don't have an digital tuner in your HDTV, you can pick up an HD tuner. Or you can subscribe to DirecTV/DISH with an HD receiver that does have a digital tuner.

3. TWC HD service is a joke. It took them 3 years to add ESPN2HD. How long will it take for TWC to add ESPNEWS-HD, ESPNU-HD (coming Aug. 2008), BIG TEN NETWORK-HD, CSTV-HD, and the 50 or so other HD channels that TWC does not offer?
Thanks for the advice.

What kind of attic antenna do you have? Do you think I could pick up Dayton channels in Columbus? That would feel like a miracle to me to be able to pick up some UD games, I don't care how fuzzy the picture is.

I used to use an indoor bowtie antenna prior to TWC adding ABC and Fox HD, but I had to adjust it for each channel I wanted to watch. There wasn't a "magic" spot where it picked up all the networks. Plus, whenever someone would walk into the kitchen, past the antenna, I would lose signal for a few seconds.

I think it was the location of my TV (not by any windows), that caused the difficulties, my parents have had good results with their antenna, but just for local Columbus stations.

If anyone could explain a way to pick up WDTN from Columbus I would be eternally grateful.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:06 PM
Major

[quote=bigred;64655]
quote]

I have had my HD TV for 5 years now. Newer TV's, you can just pick your input from a list. Say Input 5. I don't have that feature. I have to scroll through each one, and if you push the button one time too many, go through them all again. It is a pain.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:53 PM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
(Sorry for such a long post, but this is a topic I know a lot about)

I guess come February all of this HD stuff and Time Warner will be settled as they will have to carry WDTN’s digital signal as analog goes bye bye. I worked in broadcasting for 8 year. Although I’m no longer in broadcasting I still stay up on the latest technology. As a side note last Fall I had an interview with the broadcast division of the Harris Corporation. For you that don’t know Harris is the leader in HD broadcasting and the broadcast division is located in Mason. The position I interviewed for involved sending the digital single from the station to the transmitter site via Cisco routers and switches through fiber optic lines to the transmitter and then out to the consumer’s TV (hope I’m not to technical for you guys). In a short few years TV as we know it today will be greatly different. There are things being developed for digital TV that are going to just blow your mind, just put it this way soon there will be no difference between TV, your home PC and the internet. Anyway I was told by the vice president of the division that come February 2009 if you have an analog only TV and you do not have a digital converter box, cable or satellite dish you will not receive a signal as the analog signal will be turned off. There’s a lot of bad information out there regarding the ending of analog broadcasts. Most people think that their TV will just squeeze the digital signal into a letter box format and they will still be able to watch the shows, but that is not true. You will not get any picture on your analog TV, just snow as the analog signal will be gone.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Major

Iguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to behold
There’s a lot of bad information out there regarding the ending of analog broadcasts. Most people think that their TV will just squeeze the digital signal into a letter box format and they will still be able to watch the shows, but that is not true. You will not get any picture on your analog TV, just snow as the analog signal will be gone.
If anyone actually thinks that, they must be completely clueless. They run commercials saying you need a converter box almost as much as Chevy plays "This is Our Country" during NFL games.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:16 PM
1st Lieutenant

UDGRIZZ2010 has a spectacular aura aboutUDGRIZZ2010 has a spectacular aura aboutUDGRIZZ2010 has a spectacular aura about
if you have some hd bunny ears, u can get it in hd, if not, go out and buy sum, they are cheap
Old 06-26-2008, 10:28 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by Iguomaniac View Post
If anyone actually thinks that, they must be completely clueless. They run commercials saying you need a converter box almost as much as Chevy plays "This is Our Country" during NFL games.
Yep you are correct that's why the FCC mandated that the broadcast station run the commercials and the scroll at the bottom of the screen. Early on the media did such a poor job of letting the consumer know that the analog signal would be going completely dark.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:38 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,858 Times in 719 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by superfan99 View Post
Thanks for the advice.

If anyone could explain a way to pick up WDTN from Columbus I would be eternally grateful.
Put your address in this form. It uses topographical maps to tell you what size antenna (and how high off the ground) you need to pick up distant stations. Most digital broadcasts can be picked up with rabbit ears <10 miles, attic antennas <25 miles, rooftop antennas <100 miles. The 100 miles figure is for optimal conditions, though.

You are interested in WHIO-DT, not WDTN for UD games. According to that site, it would be receivable with a fairly high rooftop antenna in some parts of CBus. If you're in Reynoldsburg, you're probably screwed.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:31 PM
Captain

GetFlyeredup is infamous around these partsGetFlyeredup is infamous around these parts
Ready, I read an article on MSN today that says if you get cable straight from the wall and not through a box then you also will not receive a signal. Is this true/ is this saying that if you do not receive digital cable from a box you're out of luck?
Old 07-03-2008, 10:04 AM

Thanked 1,645 Times in 683 Posts
Tony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer Al View Post
Add one more reason to the already long list of why DirecTV is better than Time Warner.
Amen to that and less costly:frog:
Old 07-03-2008, 08:06 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by GetFlyeredup View Post
Ready, I read an article on MSN today that says if you get cable straight from the wall and not through a box then you also will not receive a signal. Is this true/ is this saying that if you do not receive digital cable from a box you're out of luck?
Well it's sort of complex. If your carrier decides to move all of the analog channels to a digital tier then your TV will need a digital converter box. Basically the cable companies and satellite providers can decide for “business reasons” to move all of the channels from an analog feed to their digital tier which will require you to rent/purchase a digital converter box for your non-digital TVs. I have Time Warner Cable and I have no idea if they plan to go to all digital, but on their website they claim any Basic Cable setup will still receive the analog feed after February, but they consider now a good time to upgrade to their Digital Cable service, huh?

For more information go here:

http://www.dtv.gov/consumercorner.html#cable

Scroll about halfway down and the Cable and Satellite FAQs can be found.