UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball > Archived Seasonal Match Threads > 2012 Match Threads

2012 Match Threads Discussion specific to game day and in-game opponents on the schedule.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,339 Times in 2,458 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Oregon-NCAA 2nd Rd

They are big and they are fast. We will have to play our best to beat them. Here are some keys -- and feel free to add to this list as I know some of you are looking at this match up and what it will take to beat them.

1. Stop their great OH Bergsma. She's an AA and a USA A2 player. Her hitting numbers are better than Kray's by a mile. Both wear #2. You can't beat Oregon without stopping her.

2. Serve agressively. Their setter is Lauren Plum. Also an AA and USA A2 player. Her numbers are better than Sam's. Don't give her all her options or we won't be able to stop their hitters. We have to serve like the devil tonight.

3. Oregon's middles are taller than ours. We serve tough and we take them out of the game. Our middles are way better blockers. But we gotta serve tough to give our blockers a chance to get set up because they play fast. They even serve fast, meaning the ball is in the air the second the ref blows the whistle. They just keep coming at you. We better be in shape 'cause it's coming full throttle.

4. Their OH2 Brenner also plays all 6 rotations. So they will ALWAYS have a hitter in the backrow and both she and Bergsma are very good attaching from the pipe. That means usually 4 hitters on the floor at all times. aka -- don't let them have easy passes because we won't be able to stop their hitters if we have to defend 3-4 of them at any one time.

5. They have a solid backrow defense/serve receive. They've been aced the same percentage as us, but they play in the PAC 12 and they have faced much tougher serving all season. We've got to limit our serve receive errors. We had too many against Pepperdine. To counter, I think we dig the ball better than they do, but both teams are solid defenders digging up attacks. Their hitters look to hit harder than ours. Note here: That might be their setter/hitters seem to connect with great timing more often than we do which results in bombs coming in fast.

6. On paper we are a way better blocking team -- but Pac 12 vs A-10 might be why.

7. Errors -- we have to limit our errors to win. We can't give them points. If we are giving them more than 6 points off errors in a 25-pt set, it will be tough for us to win. We have to make their offense generate close to 20 points a set. That's hard to do. As a point of reference, last night in Set 3 we generated 18 of our 25 points. That was the best by either team all night.

On paper they are the better team. Time to step up and beat somebody. Tonight's the night.

Flyer Up!!!!

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 12-01-2012 at 11:51 AM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
College B-Ball Fan (12-01-2012), Figgie123 (12-01-2012), UDBrian (12-01-2012)
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2012, 01:43 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Forgot to add, Oregon's setter Plum is really good, but only 5'9" (translation = 5'8"???). We have to exploit that on our attack. Both Kray and Jill should be able to hit over her all night long. I would expect Jill to see some time again tonight, although Alaina might start. We need the height offensively and defensively and she is a better blocker than Alaina.

Alaina reminds me a lot of Kray as a freshman. When we are out of system and she is the leftside OH and everyone knows the ball is going to her, she usually gets stuffed. It's because, just like Kray as a freshman, she doesn't have all the types of shots yet. There was a time Kray would only wind up and hit cross court. Didn't use the tip much. Didn't hit down the line much. Didn't know how to hit a sharp angle. Didn't know when to use a roll shot, etc. Also noticed Alaina is a little slow on the block -- just like Kray was early in her career. Alaina will be able to work and learn these shots and get better block timing starting this Spring. It took Kray until last year to perfect all that plus her backrow attacks. Alaina can be very, very good before she finishes her career at UD.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:02 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 16,977 Times in 5,076 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Alaina is 5-10. OK if a 5-10 kid makes contact about the same height as a 6-4 player, are they effectively a 6-4 player? Or is the 5-10 still having to overcome certain things?

My intuition tells me shorter players need more time on their sets b/c if they jump the same height as taller players, it takes them a fraction more time to reach the top of their arc. Maybe they have fast twitch muscles however and better reflexes. So they get off the ground a tad earlier. So is it a wash, or is being legitimately 6-4 still better than 5-10 even if they touch the same height at the same time?

Where does it become irrelevant and where does the advantage always favor the taller player?

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 12-01-2012, 02:08 PM

Thanked 10,494 Times in 4,702 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Having been a shorter 6' leaper all my life in basketball, my 2 cents by experience is that by the 4th quarter the shorter player is gassed---advantage big guys.

My intuition tells me by the 4/5th set the 5'10" player is losing juice because she is working harder to get to the apex.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:28 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I think that the 5'10" player is at more of a disadvantage when blocking. Even if you can jump to the same height you have to pull your arms back sooner than a taller player does, timing is tougher for a shorter player.

I don't think that DeBruler for Illinois was much taller than Alaina and she was a beast of an outside hitter. A short player has to do a very good job of timing their jump because a taller player with long arms has a 6" - 10" advantage at the start.

Alaina is also a very quick athlete who can beat the opposing block to a seam and terminate with a shorter set, much like Xavier does.

Whether she gets tired more quickly should just depend on strength and endurance training. Volleyball is different than bball because of the short breaks in between points. I used to play doubles for two hours and not really get tired.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:22 PM

I don't think it's all about how tall a player is. Athletic ability comes into play. Alaina is 5'10" but very thin. Is quick off her feet. Can jump, but I do not know her approach touch or her block touch. She is clearly better off the approach -- both height and quickness. But in volleyball, a lot of it comes down to what decisions hitters make in the air. Can they read the block and hit the shot that gets through (including tips) and then also, find an open spot on the court. Arm speed is also a factor for velocity.

UD had a player in the past who could jump out of the gym. Had pretty good arm speed. Could crush the ball without a block in front of her, but never developed the knack to make decisions in the air as to what shot could counter the block. Another player, Amanda Cowdrey was very, very good at in-air decisions. Was only 5-10". Had an ok jump, but not great. Had an ok arm speed, but nothing that stood out, etc. Yet she was awesome at in-air decisions.

I mentioned Alaina reminds me a lot of Kray her freshman year. One key difference is Alaina appears to be much stronger than Kray was. Not now, but back when she was a freshman. Kray has done a ton of work in the weight room since she came to UD. I think Alaina is ahead of her in that area. And I'll also add it surprised the heck out of me. Looking at Alaina coming in I thought for sure she would need a redshirt year and a Spring and Summer working in the weight room. Boy have I been surprised.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 12-01-2012 at 03:24 PM..
Old 12-01-2012, 03:27 PM

I'll also add to my original list above, we will have to manage the Oregon crowd. It was loud last night against No Colorado. Just over 3000 fans. Earlier this year they packed in 4000 fans against then No. 2 Washington and more than 5000 fans against then No. 1 Stanford.

Gotta think close to 5000 tonight is possible -- maybe more. Here is where playing at Minnesota, at Nebraska, at Illinois, etc over the past couple years helps us.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:27 PM
General of the Air Force

UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
The announcer at the A10 championship match raved about Alaina's ability to see the block and adjust.

Kelly said that this team has the ability to feed off the energy of opposing crowds. I hope that is true since there should be a lot of energy to feed on
Old 12-01-2012, 09:43 PM

Thanked 15,823 Times in 6,961 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Can someone provide me with a link to watch the game? TV anywhere? website for streaming?
Old 12-01-2012, 10:00 PM
1st Lieutenant

tandemcaptain has a spectacular aura abouttandemcaptain has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Can someone provide me with a link to watch the game? TV anywhere? website for streaming?
At the bottom, here, is the NCAA live schedule and links for live streaming video.

@TandemCaptain
Old 12-01-2012, 10:11 PM
Major

Fan4allUDSports is a name known to allFan4allUDSports is a name known to allFan4allUDSports is a name known to allFan4allUDSports is a name known to allFan4allUDSports is a name known to allFan4allUDSports is a name known to all
Kinda cool that they announced the team would play tonight during the men's game. Sad part was they didn't have the time right(claimed it was 7 ET). Also cool of them to give a shout out to the women's bball team victory over UNLV.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:05 PM
General

Thanked 4,501 Times in 2,047 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tandemcaptain View Post
At the bottom, here, is the NCAA live schedule and links for live streaming video.

@TandemCaptain
Link didn't work.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:06 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,043 Times in 451 Posts
Whacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond repute
Worked fine for me. Might be getting a lot of Flyer traffic. Try it again.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:09 PM
1st Lieutenant

nwflyer has much to be proud ofnwflyer has much to be proud ofnwflyer has much to be proud ofnwflyer has much to be proud ofnwflyer has much to be proud ofnwflyer has much to be proud ofnwflyer has much to be proud ofnwflyer has much to be proud of
There are a few Flyers in Eugene
Old 12-01-2012, 11:26 PM
Colonel

redbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud of
So far, it's like an MLB team (save the Houston Astros) vs a AAA team. Oregon is very, very good but Dayton isn't playing smart or sound here in Set 1. Too many free balls for Oregon and too much dinking instead of killing from the Flyers. Going down 2 quick ones like last night would be all she wrote.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:28 PM
Captain

HansMoleman has a spectacular aura aboutHansMoleman has a spectacular aura aboutHansMoleman has a spectacular aura about
One thing I've noticed between Dayton and elite programs is the backrow defense. Dayton plays best when the front row block is clicking. Whether it's positioning or some other factor, UD's back row defense doesn't seem strong enough for the Flyers to go on a deep run. Also, Sheff's habit of starting slow is frustrating to watch at times.

Anyone else find these Oregon announcers annoying?
Mad Props to HansMoleman For This Totally Excellent Post:
redbengal (12-01-2012)
Old 12-01-2012, 11:28 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,132 Times in 2,308 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Ducks win set 1, 25-15. Let's see how we do in set 2. Oregon is hitting very well, and finding seams and hitting hard.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Colonel

redbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud of
Oregon announcers already predicting straight sets. NOW is the time to come out on fire!
I Am A Statistical God

Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by HansMoleman View Post
Anyone else find these Oregon announcers annoying?
The only thing I don't like is when they say that either team has 4 people in the backrow to receive. No, they don't, they are hiding their weakest backrow individual with a frontrow player.
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Pathetic. Dayton don't look like they belong on the same floor as the ducks. Thats how much difference in talent between a top 10 team and a top 20 team.

Dayton is not aggressive, very passive like they are afraid to hit the ball with authority. And the ducks seem to be going straight through Daytons blocks like they are non existant.

Don't want to say they look scared but they certainly don't look confident.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:32 PM

Well here's a great stat...

With our 8th point we were behind 8-18, but we OUT SCORED the Ducks 8-7 to end the set.

We need to settle down and hopefully we have adjusted to their speed. Gotta keep our heads in the game.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:34 PM
I Am A Statistical God

And these darn overpasses are so frustrating. We can't seem to receive their hard and fast kills very well in the back row, and instead, we are giving them a free kill at the net. Argh!
Old 12-01-2012, 11:34 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
butt ugly.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Colonel

Announcers just exclaimed that there is nothing the Flyers can do to stop Liz Brenner. If that doesn't change soon it's over. And for crap's sake, don't let a close ball drop on the line again. We don't have that luxury any more. 7-2 Oregon in Set 2.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:43 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Ducks 16-11, UD 2nd Timeout.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:44 PM
Colonel

Still can't get over the hump in Set 2 but at least playing much better and much, much more aggressively. Oregon starting to show they aren't perfect which is helping too. Haven't heard Brown's name called much. Hope that changes. 16-12 Ducks.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:52 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Ducks win set 2, 25-20. UD in the hole 2 sets to none.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:55 PM
General of the Air Force

Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Dayton is a very good first round team, just not a sweet sixteen team yet.

Ducks are having their way with the flyers.

We need more power hitters and better back row defense.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:55 PM
General

Thanked 4,501 Times in 2,047 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
Ducks win set 2, 25-20. UD in the hole 2 sets to none.
Just like last night . . .

Old 12-01-2012, 11:56 PM

It comes down to serve and serve receive. We have to start serving tougher otherwise Oregon has too many hitters we can't stop. We have to limit their hitter options. And as you can see, when we don't pass that great and Oregon's block is waiting for us.

Time to take it up to another level. Oregon is very, very good. One of 6-7 teams that can win it all this year. We have to raise our play to compete and win set 3. This is one of the best team Dayton has probably played ever.

Sam is playing really well. Z pretty good too.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:57 PM
Colonel

Hate to say it but 2 critical service errors from Krabacher in that set including when serving at 19-21. Again, much better play from the Flyers in that 2nd set. But too little, too late. Both for the set and for the match. Would love to see a repeat performance of last night's reversal but it's a bit too much to ask this time around on the home court of a clearly superior team. Those in the eastern time zone can probably safely head to bed at this point.

BTW, props to Selsky. Who knew she's been wasting away as a setter all this time? She's the best hitter we've had tonight. :-) Seriously, though, great court awareness by Selsky.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:59 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Originally Posted by redbengal View Post
BTW, props to Selsky. Who knew she's been wasting away as a setter all this time? She's the best hitter we've had tonight. :-) Seriously, though, great court awareness by Selsky.
No doubt. That's probably been our best play of the night, letting Selsky do the kill on the set. Unfortunately, we can't have her do that all the time, because eventually that novelty will wear out.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:06 AM
Colonel

Wham! Bam! Thank you, Sam! She is simply amazing tonight. Flyers able to take a lead this set for the first time all night.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:11 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Ducks up 13-11. UD Timeout.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:15 AM
Colonel

13-11 going into the 3rd set timeout. Hanging tough. Also, interesting that Kansas loses tonight. Based on RPI, the #11 seed Kansas is about where Dayton should have been in a 2nd round matchup. Still can't figure out how the #13 rated team and #22 RPI team ends up with the #5 seed in the tournament in the 2nd round.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:17 AM
I Am A Statistical God

UD calls 2nd timeout in set 3. Down 18-14.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:23 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Ducks win set 3, 25-21. We kept going point-for-point there for a while, just couldn't get over the hump. We stepped it up after the first set, but we just couldn't pull it out.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:24 AM
General of the Air Force

25-21 nice try but you couold tell Dayton is just a tad shy of equal talent.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:27 AM
Colonel

And we're done here. Actually got to 20-21 but then at 20-22 had back-to-back stuffs on our kills which finished us off. Just too much talent on the Duck side. Would love to have Brenner hitting for the Flyers.

Thank you to Rachel, Sam, and Paige for everything you did as Flyers. You should all be very proud of your individual careers and what you did to help cement this program as a Top 20 contender each and every year.
Mad Props to redbengal For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (12-02-2012)
Old 12-02-2012, 12:27 AM

ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Turner hits -.132. Why did Sheff not try Loiars again?

We just got destroyed at the net.
Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (12-02-2012)
Old 12-02-2012, 01:09 AM

Here is the breakout for both teams of the players' rankings coming out of high school. As I've said before, you gotta get recruits and we have 4 really talented players coming in next year. All 4 are Top 110 with the 2 highest being #57 and #33. We get more out of players than any school in the nation, but as you will see, Oregon just had way more talent on the floor tonight. But I know the women in our program will continue to work and max out their talents. I can't wait for Spring ball already. (FYI: prepvolleyball ranks the Top 100 high school seniors every year. Then they list the next 101-250 alphabetically to make up their Top 250 recruits.)

Oregon:

#22 Liz Brenner
#35 Lauren Plum
#65 Alaina Bergsma
#95 Canace Finley
#97 Katherine Fischer
#99 Ariana Williams
101-250 Kellie Kawasaki
Not Ranked Haley Jacob

Dayton

#77 Sam
101-250 Kray
101-250 Hammer
101-250 Z
101-250 Alaina
Not Ranked Shayne
Not Ranked Paige
Not Ranked Ally
Not Ranked Janna

Bottomline is we only had one Top 100 recruit on the floor and Oregon only had two players that were not Top 100 recruits and none of our backrow defenders were even ranked coming out of high school.

I think our backrow played pretty darn good tonight. Oregon's offense is how they win. Our serving wasn't tough enough to keep Oregon from running all their hitters at us. They run at you fast in all aspects of the game and our block didn't have a chance -- and the backrow was left to try to dig up the pieces.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 12-02-2012 at 10:31 AM..
Old 12-02-2012, 01:11 AM

Thanked 16,977 Times in 5,076 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Great season. Tonight was a no-lose kind of night. We are not at the same competitive level as Oregon and playing at their place was a tall order. At the end of the day, players still win matches and Oregon is good enough to win the national title. Beckys recruit rankings bear that out. They just have more horses. And thats okay. They SHOULD have more horses. With a bottomless pit of Phil Knight money and the best volleyball conference in the country, they SHOULD be Top-10 every season. So they are not doing anything more special than we are given apple to apples.

No shame in tonight. Would have been the biggest win in program history about 10x over. The NCAA draw we got was not as favorable as other years. I think we went as far as our talent realistically allows. As fans we can wish all we want, but this is college volleyball royalty we're up against. Beating Pepperdine was a huge statement and positive ending, proving we could beat a good team in the NCAAs. Pepperdine is not Butler or Milwaukee or Middle Tennessee St like some of our past 1st Rd matches.

This class did amazing things, finishing 110-20 for an incredible .846% career winning percentage. They lost two A10 matches EVER.

They leave the program better than they found it. Hopefully in the next cpl years we can build on their hard work and take another step forward. Sheff is ramping up his recruiting. I think we're headed in the right direction.

Only a moron looks at a 27-5 season, undefeated A10 season, tourney title, NCAA bid, #12 national ranking, and NCAA win over Pepperdine and walks away feeling cheated. For a non-BCS program thats about as good as anyone. And we're getting better.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (12-02-2012), CE80 (12-02-2012), ClaytonFlyerFan (12-02-2012), College B-Ball Fan (12-02-2012), Fan4allUDSports (12-03-2012), jack72 (12-02-2012), UD Sam (12-02-2012), UDBrian (12-02-2012)
Old 12-02-2012, 10:25 AM

Chris I agree with you 100% on every point you made. I haven't done the research, but I think over the last couple years every team that advanced to the Sweet 16 from our quad has lost in the next round. (KY lost last year and tOSU the year before.) I watched a lot of volleyball in the last 3 days. I watched BYU-OK yesterday. I will be shocked if Oregon doesn't beat BYU next round. Oregon is the highest ranked seed we have ever been paired up with the first weekend. Not complaining, because we have drawn softer quads in past years. It was just how the chips fell this year and is a fact. I didn't watch PSU, Stanford, TX, FL, WA, HI, USC or NE in the last 3 days, but I watched all the other teams that are Sweet 16 bound. Purdue, Minnesota, Michigan St, Michigan, Kentucky, Iowa State, Wichita State and BYU. Minnesota is the best team out of these. (None of them are anywhere close to as good as Oregon.) All these others Dayton would have gone toe-to-toe with in a match and probably beaten most of them. And a 2nd time around with Minnesota this year would have been interesting.

Another GREAT season in the books. And yes we have again taken a step forward with this program.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:23 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by ud69 View Post
Turner hits -.132. Why did Sheff not try Loiars again?

We just got destroyed at the net.
Jill isn't nearly as mobile as Alaina. So, assuming that Jill was healthy I would guess it was because Jill would have had trouble getting in position to block against that fast offense.
Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud69 (12-02-2012)
Old 12-02-2012, 12:25 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by redbengal View Post
And we're done here. Actually got to 20-21 but then at 20-22 had back-to-back stuffs on our kills which finished us off. Just too much talent on the Duck side. Would love to have Brenner hitting for the Flyers.

Thank you to Rachel, Sam, and Paige for everything you did as Flyers. You should all be very proud of your individual careers and what you did to help cement this program as a Top 20 contender each and every year.
I will attempt to put together articles on each senior if I can get quotes from the current players.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:46 PM
Colonel

NovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to behold
A wonderful season to be a part of UD volleyball success.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
Jill isn't nearly as mobile as Alaina. So, assuming that Jill was healthy I would guess it was because Jill would have had trouble getting in position to block against that fast offense.
According to the box score - Turner had only a single block assist. Of course, we had precious few blocks as a team.

It looked to me like the Duck hitters were just beating our block big time - often hitting over us. The diggers in the back were getting hung out to dry as the high velocity rockets were coming at them.

I did think that as the match went on we started to adapt to the high level of play - making the third set pretty competitive. Still, if we play them 10 times, we probably don't win any. The better, bigger, stronger team won. The solution is to get better - and we will.

I believe we got as much out of this team as possible. The only match with any regret was against tosu. Great season ladies.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (12-02-2012), UDBrian (12-03-2012)
Old 12-02-2012, 05:54 PM
1st Lieutenant

nwflyer has much to be proud ofnwflyer has much to be proud ofnwflyer has much to be proud ofnwflyer has much to be proud ofnwflyer has much to be proud ofnwflyer has much to be proud ofnwflyer has much to be proud ofnwflyer has much to be proud of
I am a volleyball novice, but I will still try to provide feedback on the match.

My daughter and I had great seats - First row in the reserved section across from the players benches. All the seats around us were filled with Duck fans. Other than a few people behind the bench, I did not see anyone else wearing Dayton gear.

Trees seem to grow taller in Oregon. Up close, the Oregon appeared to have a significant size advantage. Oregon's blocks were an imposing obstacle throughout the match

The first set was filled with Dayton errors. Oregon and Dayton made their fair share of errors for the remainder of the match.

Dayton's digs were far more impressive than Oregon's digs. Dayton saved numerous rockets. Oregon made some diving saves on soft shots aimed at open areas.

On this day, the ball bounced Oregon's way more often than not. Dayton seemed to struggle blocking shots and when they did block, they frequently blocked the shot out of bounds. The luckiest play of the night went Oregon's way. An Oregon player had a Dayton kill shot shot hit her in the side of the head (I was surprised ahe remained standing). The ball then bounced off her shoulder and Oregon was able to keep the play going and eventually won the point. The Dayton coach complained to the official (I am assuming headers are illegal in volleyball?) but the official did not see the play.

The Oregon crowd was incredibly nice and welcoming - more so than I have ever experienced at a Men's basketball game.
Mad Props to nwflyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
UACFlyer (12-02-2012)
Old 12-02-2012, 06:11 PM
General of the Air Force

If the ball hits your head and then your shoulder it should be called as a multiple contact. Pretty tough to see when the ball is hit hard
Old 12-03-2012, 01:34 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by ud69 View Post
According to the box score - Turner had only a single block assist. Of course, we had precious few blocks as a team.

It looked to me like the Duck hitters were just beating our block big time - often hitting over us. The diggers in the back were getting hung out to dry as the high velocity rockets were coming at them.

I did think that as the match went on we started to adapt to the high level of play - making the third set pretty competitive. Still, if we play them 10 times, we probably don't win any. The better, bigger, stronger team won. The solution is to get better - and we will.

I believe we got as much out of this team as possible. The only match with any regret was against tosu. Great season ladies.
You probably know that is one reason people like to watch matches from the end of the court rather than the side. When you watch it from the end you can see everything, the spacing, the closing (or not closing of the block) and whether the ball was spiked through a seam or over the top. It is also much more like actually playing. If they are hitting over the block it probably doesn't hurt to make a change.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:39 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
I would think a deterent to getting to the next level is the play in the A10. The non-conference schedule is long past. It must be hard to turn the switch when the level of competition heats up.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:10 PM

The A-10 doesn't help Dayton's volleyball program for sure. There were a couple years the conference had 2 teams go to the NCAAs. There was talk of building it to a 3 bid conference, but sadly it's slipped back to a 1 bid confernece.

It will take teams like Xavier, St Louis, Butler and VCU to up their game just to get back to 2 bids. SLU scheduled tough this past year. We need to continue to see that from other teams. We also need to see the conference schedule stacked as favorably to the top teams. We need the best teams only playing the weakest teams once a year and doubling up with each other to get the greatest RPI value out of the conference schedule. It would probably take creating an inner-conference RPI to determine the 6 teams that make up the conference championship tourney. Well Figgie can probably handle that. The conference should be working from a position of, "whatever it takes to build its volleyball strength as a conference." The Missouri Valley conference is consistantly a 3 bid conference. Northern Iowa, Creighton, Wichita State this year and WSU is headed to the Sweet 16. This is what the A-10 volleyball conference should and could be.

What I would also like to see is instead of that single match Thanksgiving weekend, after the conference tournament (the Western Michigan match is past year), I'd like to see a conference challenge 2-match set up that weekend. And the conference to do it with is the Big 12. They are down in numbers, so they can finish their conference schedule before that weekend where as the Big 10 can't. Too many members so they are still playing regular season matches.

I'd like to send the top 2 finishers in the A-10 to play the top 2 finishers in the Big 12 that weekend. It would give us two matches against highly ranked teams right before the NCAAs. This year it would have been Xavier and UD against Texas and Iowa State. UD would have played both TX and ISU. I'd every agree to travel the first 2-3 years to get it started. That's how much it would help the A-10 and help prepare hopefully BOTH A-10 teams for the NCAAs.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 12-03-2012 at 02:18 PM..
Old 12-03-2012, 08:04 PM
1st Lieutenant

Picture from Oregon

http://udpride.com/forums/album.php?...&pictureid=220

Last edited by nwflyer; 12-03-2012 at 08:17 PM..
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to nwflyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (12-03-2012), Fan4allUDSports (12-03-2012), ud69 (12-03-2012), udisit19 (12-04-2012)