UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball > Archived Seasonal Match Threads > 2015 Match Threads

2015 Match Threads Discussion specific to game day and in-game opponents on the schedule.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 12-05-2015, 08:03 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,339 Times in 2,458 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
PSU Match

Repeat of last year's showdown for a trip to the Sweet 16. Other than blocking, I think we are better than last year's team. PSU is not as good -- but they still have a team loaded with Top 100 recruits and a coach who knows how to get his team to play their absolute best this time of year. They have won more National Championships than anyone and they've done it in the last 10 years -- not a decade ago.

I thought we had taken a set off them last year, but that was not the case. They won 3-0 by scores of 20-18-16. I think we do better than that this year. They are an exceptional blocking team and I think we have struggled at times this year against good blocking teams. We are going to have to read their defense and send the ball to open hitters. We set into the block and we will struggle. We also have to stop the middle -- something we did not do very well against Nova -- so chances are high we will see it again tonight.

Overall, I don't think we played our best against Nova last night. Hopefully we saved it up for tonight and we take it to PSU. I'm looking for us to play our best match of the season. GO FLYERS!!!
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2015, 08:39 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I agree that Jane has to do a great job of reading the defense. Early in the year I think PSU would plan on doubling up on Alaina every chance they had. But, the offense has more players hitting well than earlier in the year.

I think that Jill and Jess need to provide a good number of kills for UD to win. If the team passes the ball well so they can consistently set the middles it frees up everyone on the outside.

IF the passes are at the ten foot line I think we are in trouble. PSU's block will take advantage of bad angle sets that can only go one way. We don't want Alaina to be hitting against a big double block.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:50 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,823 Times in 6,961 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Is this match on TV?
Old 12-05-2015, 08:59 AM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Believe it can be done

PSU rip = 10 -- #7 Seed
Dayton rip = 22

2nd round match last night:

Stanford rip = 12 -- #8 Seed
Loyola Marymount rip = 27

LM defeats Stanford 3-0 to advance to the Sweet 16.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:08 AM
General of the Air Force

UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I screwed up and left off Jenna when discussing offense required to beat PSU. She had 13 kills yesterday and is definitely playing the best vball of her season.

This would be a great win for the program.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Is this match on TV?
Very few first and second round matches are on TV. Maybe only NE who sells out and has a local tv contract with the NE educational channel for years. All matches from the Sweet 16 on are on tv. I think it's ESPN -- but I'll look that up and post if it's some other network.

There is no tv for Penn State match -- streaming video link is on both Dayton and gopsusports.com websites.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
I screwed up and left off Jenna when discussing offense required to beat PSU. She had 13 kills yesterday and is definitely playing the best vball of her season.

This would be a great win for the program.
I agree Jenna has been playing very well. And I agree PSU is going to try to take Alaina away -- she took 52 swings last night and had 24 kills -- hitting around .350 form the OH1 slot. That is OUTSTANDING - WORLD CLASS. Last year against American in the first round I think she had 30 kills. PSU knows ALL about Alaina. They will have watched both these game tapes and then some.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:33 AM

Thanked 15,823 Times in 6,961 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
Very few first and second round matches are on TV. Maybe only NE who sells out and has a local tv contract with the NE educational channel for years. All matches from the Sweet 16 on are on tv. I think it's ESPN -- but I'll look that up and post if it's some other network.

There is no tv for Penn State match -- streaming video link is on both Dayton and gopsusports.com websites.
The Big10 Network had Wisc v Iowa State last night so with no regular season football games to show, I was hoping they'd cover our match tonite...
BeckysTXA (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 09:46 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,132 Times in 2,308 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Ohio State and Indiana Basketball games are shown on the schedule for Big10.

And American Sports Network isn't showing anything.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
The Big10 Network had Wisc v Iowa State last night so with no regular season football games to show, I was hoping they'd cover our match tonite...
Last night I saw somewhere that BTN2GO was doing the match -- but I can't find that today -- and I think 2GO is streaming video.

IA State vs Wisconsin -- in Madison -- just a couple hours from BTNetwork home office of Chicago???? Might have been why????? I don't know -- it's a guess.

I just hope PSU has it's ducks in a row tonight. Last night no audio with the video. Dayton had an audio portal but I could not stand watching the video that was about two plays behind the audio. I had to turn off the audio.

Then I tried to log on to watch the PSU-Howard match and tried for about 40 minutes. I could never get it to upload the video. I know PSU's sports info staff is stretched thin this weekend -- got an email form a guy that works there -- but seriously if you can't staff it properly the NCAA should pull the host and give it to a university that will do a first class job. I'm already planning a long letter to the NCAA on this one -- it's more than this -- and if they are trying to build the sport fan-wise it's been a huge missed opportunity.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 12-05-2015 at 01:45 PM..
Old 12-05-2015, 04:50 PM

PSU is 20-5 in second round NCAA tourney matches. Their last loss -- in 2002 against the A-10 auto bid team -- Temple.

IT CAN BE DONE!!! GO FLYERS!!!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (12-05-2015), UDVBFan (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 05:22 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
"And David put his hand into his bag and took from it a stone and slung it, and struck the Philistine on his forehead. And the stone sank into his forehead, so that he fell on his face to the ground."

So it is written, so shall it be done. Go Flyers.
Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 05:50 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
I just hope PSU has it's ducks in a row tonight. Last night no audio with the video. Dayton had an audio portal but I could not stand watching the video that was about two plays behind the audio. I had to turn off the audio.
This was from the Dayton Flyers write up about the Villanova game:

"The match will be video streamed by Penn State but without commentary. Dayton will be providing a free audio stream as well."

I think was the case last year as well, that Penn State did the audio for only their game.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:29 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,522 Times in 2,440 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
This is the link to the video. http://www.gopsusports.com/collegesp.../?media=516293
I hope it has audio also because UD doesn't have any links up at this time.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
This was from the Dayton Flyers write up about the Villanova game:

"The match will be video streamed by Penn State but without commentary. Dayton will be providing a free audio stream as well."

I think was the case last year as well, that Penn State did the audio for only their game.
You are correct -- except last year the audio was in sink with the video. That was not the case yesterday and you could barely hear the audio portal they did provide UD to broadcast. Now the broadcast team was great -- Shane White and Coach Balise -- our volunteer coach from last year. I just had to turn them off because I could not stand watching the match with audio about 2 plays ahead.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 12-05-2015 at 07:37 PM..
Old 12-05-2015, 07:36 PM

Video and audio seems to be working and low and behold -- Laura Broerman is the color commentator -- she is taking a redshirt injury year at PSU as a DS -- and is the sister of UD v-ball alum Rachel Broerman and UD recruit -- I can't remember the younger sister's name but she is coming in 2017 freshman class.

Also the Broerman sisters' parent -- both of them are UD alums.

GO LAURA!!!

younger sister's name is Emily --
Old 12-05-2015, 07:50 PM
Colonel

redbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud of
Good news is that we have audio tonight. Bad news is that the play-by-play tool just mentioned that the winner of Texas A&M vs Hawaii plays Penn State in the next round. He said it at 10-5 in the first.
Mad Props to redbengal For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDVBFan (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 07:56 PM

17-13 PSU but we are hanging in. #17 for PSU -- Megan Courtney is from Dayton and from the same club as Kacie Hausfeld played for. For Megans' entire career at PSU she has worn a purplish hair ribbon in honor of Kacie - who was killed in a plane crash while enrolled and playing for Dayton. Megan's ribbon has "KACIE #14" on it - and the video just showed it up close.

Very nice tribute by a local Dayton player for a wonderful young woman that was take too soon and a greatly loved former Flyer.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:02 PM

PSU take #1 25-17. Gotta bounce back. PSU basically had one run to take a 5 point lead and then we played pretty even with them. We need that run in the second to battle it out and win the 2nd. Our passing is better tonight.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:08 PM

I thought I saw PSU foot-fault on a couple serves in the 1st set. I hope someone points it out to the refs.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:09 PM

TO PSU -- UD up 8-3 in the 2nd set. GO FLYERS!!!
Old 12-05-2015, 08:10 PM
Colonel

redbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud of
Great start to the 2nd! PSU forced to call the TO at 8-3. Bet they're not used to that!
Old 12-05-2015, 08:18 PM

TO PSU -- UD leading 19-11 in 2nd. Need 6 more points to even this match. GO FLYERS!!!
Old 12-05-2015, 08:19 PM
Colonel

19-11 Flyers in the 2nd. Nittany Lions forced to call time AGAIN! Love it! Awesome attacking by UD.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:23 PM
Colonel

Could not play much better than that. Even at a set apiece! Well done, Flyers. It's a new year!
Old 12-05-2015, 08:23 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,355 Times in 586 Posts
College B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

25-13 Flyers win set 2.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:27 PM

DAYTON JUST SCHOOLED PSU in the 2nd set 25-13 to tie it up 1-1. Best part is I watched Dayton run off the court for intermission with basically zero celebrating --- like they have been here before and know it's not over yet. As a fan I'm celebrating taking that set -- but the team was all business running off the court.

We got out to a quick lead and then didn't just play even with PSU -- we out played them the entire set. I only remember once or twice PSU putting together a 2 point service run. Our sideout percentage had to be unreal -- because when we gave up a point/serve -- we seemed to get it right back the next play.

Gotta come out and do the same thing -- jump out to a lead and keep pushing.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:32 PM

We are hitting .308 and PSU is at .241. That is awesome. We hit over .550 the 2nd set.

Janna has 8 digs and is now UD's all-time career leader in digs. Would be great for her to do it in a WINNING effort. GO FLYERS!!!
Old 12-05-2015, 08:33 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Did anyone catch the announcers saying the winner of the Texas A&M game will play Penn State in Iowa in the second round......then came the awakening Dayton 25 - 13 hmmmm.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:34 PM
Colonel

NovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to behold
DAYTON JUST SCHOOLED PSU in the 2nd set 25-13 to tie it up 1-1. Best part is I watched Dayton run off the court for intermission with basically zero celebrating --- like they have been here before and know it's not over yet. As a fan I'm celebrating taking that set -- but the team was all business running off the court.

We got out to a quick lead and then didn't just play even with PSU -- we out played them the entire set. I only remember once or twice PSU putting together a 2 point service run. Our sideout percentage had to be unreal -- because when we gave up a point/serve -- we seemed to get it right back the next play.

Gotta come out and do the same thing -- jump out to a lead and keep pushing.
Best game I have ever seen Dayton play...keep it up!
Old 12-05-2015, 08:45 PM

TO UD -- PSU up 15-9. We are not passing well this set.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:49 PM

TO UD with PSU up 19-11. We need to settle down and get a good pass. Way too many out-of-system scrambles this set.

Finish this strong and come out in the 4th hot.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:52 PM

Not sure who took the last TO -- but Dayton just called another one. Behind by 10 -- and we need to finish this set strong. Like to see it cut to about 6.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:56 PM

PSU takes 3rd 25-14. We need to come out really-really strong. We get first serve.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:14 PM

15-14 PSU. KEEP IT UP UD -- keep bring the pressure and pass so we can set the middles to keep their block off the outsides.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:17 PM

18-15 PSU. Gotta go girls. Bring it.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:20 PM

The refs have made about 5 calls this match that have been bad and against Dayton. It would not have changed any set outcomes -- but when the PSU announcers are saying they are getting these calls in their favor -- you know they really are getting some points off bad ref calls.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 12-05-2015 at 09:29 PM..
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
NovaFlyer (12-06-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 09:21 PM
1st Lieutenant

UDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really nice
Tough to beat PSU just on talent alone, let alone when they seem to be getting every call. Can't blame the refs but man, would like to see the calls even out. Running out of time.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:27 PM

25-17 PSU to take the match. We certainly gave them more than we did last year and that is progress. I had posted early in the week that PSU's roster is loaded with Top 100 recruits. Well the truth is half of their starting roster are Top 5 recruits and they backfill with Top 50 recruits. Dayton only has one Top 100 recruit -- Jenna Jendryk. And we have starters who were not even Top 250 recruits. So hats off to this program for taking it to PSU, especially in the 2nd set.

Congrats on a GREAT YEAR.

And next year we have TWO Top 100 recruits coming in the same class. Everything looks very bright. Looking for a year we return to a top 16 seed and we host again. That should happen if not next season -- then the following. Gotta keep scheduling tough those first 4 weeks to help our rpi and hopefully we are healthier this off-season so we being next year that way.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 12-05-2015 at 09:31 PM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (12-06-2015), Glen Clark (12-05-2015), rollo (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 09:29 PM
1st Lieutenant

UDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really nice
Great season but unlike last year, I can't help feeling we let one potentially get away there. PSU is a good team, no doubt, but we could play with them. Tough loss, but our seniors have nothing to hang their heads about. Great leadership from every one of them, and they've set an example that hopefully the underclassmen will carry on.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:43 PM
General

Thanked 4,501 Times in 2,047 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks all for keeping the volleyball threads lively and informative - it's been a pleasure to watch our seniors grow the past four seasons.
Next year looks bright!

CE80 (12-05-2015), jack72 (12-06-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 09:47 PM

Thanked 16,977 Times in 5,076 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
I dont think anyone can say we did not max out our potential this year. We went as far as our talent would realistically allow. Taking a set from PSU was another small step, but an important one. As Becky stated, the talent gap is Herculean based on street cred. To beat PSU tonight we had to play our best match of the season and PSU would have to have an off night -- plus a few whistles would have to go our way. Thats just the reality.

For the talent on board, we squeezed every last ounce of juice from the orange. All you can ask. We punched above our weight class tonight. We need to get better to legitimately feel we can and should beat teams like PSU on their home court, but we will get there.

More than anything we were among the most mentally tough teams in the country this year. This was not our most talented UD team. We had some holes. But once healthy we basically did not lose until tonight. Thats 25 wins in a row.

More importantly, this team had to play hard every night to win. Not a ton of matches they could just "mail in" like perhaps a few Dayton teams in the past with Barhorst or Fletemier pummeling opponents into submission. We didn't have quite the same number of weapons as years past so we had to grind out more matches. In a lot of them we didnt play especially well, but we were tougher upstairs between the ears and played to the last point EVERY MATCH.

Thats what I enjoyed most about this team: they knew they had to work hard to win and without that pure talent alone would not be enough. Teams like WKU, SLU, GW, and URI among others could have easily beaten us if it was just talent vs talent. Ten points probably decided five Ws and Ls this year alone between these foes. All of those teams were more or less in constant parity. The difference was we were tougher in the critical junctures and expected to win the "big" point" when opponents "hoped" to win the big point.

Horsmon took this train as far as it could go this year. Cant ask for more than that. At some point you run into players that are just a little bigger, stronger, faster, more skilled. That happened tonight and you have to acknowledge it. But we didnt roll over and made PSU earn the W.

We'll get better. This is only year two in the Horsmon 2.0 reboot. Some big departures, but I like the trajectory. And goes without saying UD is a program that breeds an expectation of success. Thats not going to change. Next year the expectation will once again be an undefeated A10 season, and advancing in the NCAAs and anything short of that will be considered disappointing.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
jaburr91 (12-06-2015), jpk4ud (12-05-2015), ud69 (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 09:52 PM

ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Goodness, that 2nd set was something to behold. It was a season highlight in and of itself.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (12-05-2015), College B-Ball Fan (12-06-2015), Figgie123 (12-06-2015), Glen Clark (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 10:44 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
Did anyone catch the announcers saying the winner of the Texas A&M game will play Penn State in Iowa in the second round......then came the awakening Dayton 25 - 13 hmmmm.
Yep. Post #17.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:26 AM
I Am A Statistical God

If my archives are any good, I show that Penn State's 13 point 2nd set loss to UD was their fewest points scored in any non-deciding set this year. Back in October, Nebraska held them to 14 points in set 3 in a 3-2 victory over Penn State.
Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
redbengal (12-06-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 10:24 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,355 Times in 586 Posts
College B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Wink

Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
I dont think anyone can say we did not max out our potential this year. We went as far as our talent would realistically allow. Taking a set from PSU was another small step, but an important one. As Becky stated, the talent gap is Herculean based on street cred. To beat PSU tonight we had to play our best match of the season and PSU would have to have an off night -- plus a few whistles would have to go our way. Thats just the reality.

For the talent on board, we squeezed every last ounce of juice from the orange. All you can ask. We punched above our weight class tonight. We need to get better to legitimately feel we can and should beat teams like PSU on their home court, but we will get there.

More than anything we were among the most mentally tough teams in the country this year. This was not our most talented UD team. We had some holes. But once healthy we basically did not lose until tonight. Thats 25 wins in a row.

More importantly, this team had to play hard every night to win. Not a ton of matches they could just "mail in" like perhaps a few Dayton teams in the past with Barhorst or Fletemier pummeling opponents into submission. We didn't have quite the same number of weapons as years past so we had to grind out more matches. In a lot of them we didnt play especially well, but we were tougher upstairs between the ears and played to the last point EVERY MATCH.

Thats what I enjoyed most about this team: they knew they had to work hard to win and without that pure talent alone would not be enough. Teams like WKU, SLU, GW, and URI among others could have easily beaten us if it was just talent vs talent. Ten points probably decided five Ws and Ls this year alone between these foes. All of those teams were more or less in constant parity. The difference was we were tougher in the critical junctures and expected to win the "big" point" when opponents "hoped" to win the big point.

Horsmon took this train as far as it could go this year. Cant ask for more than that. At some point you run into players that are just a little bigger, stronger, faster, more skilled. That happened tonight and you have to acknowledge it. But we didnt roll over and made PSU earn the W.

We'll get better. This is only year two in the Horsmon 2.0 reboot. Some big departures, but I like the trajectory. And goes without saying UD is a program that breeds an expectation of success. Thats not going to change. Next year the expectation will once again be an undefeated A10 season, and advancing in the NCAAs and anything short of that will be considered disappointing.
Chris, agree!

Now hopefully the NCAA committee will give us another first round tournament play off location-----

Glad nonetheless that MC will be graduating from Penn State---would have liked nothing better than to have her last match end with a defeat at the hands of the UD FLYERS but it wasn't "to be"! Oh well!

Wonderful year, JK has a record setting year and TH clearly squeezed every ounce out of this group!

Man are they a pleasure to follow each year! So glad Tim W. and TH did what they needed to do to get him back where he belongs!

We have an incredible group of coaches here at UD---and they continue to recruit incredible "student-athlete's" that make me and so many of us so proud each year!

Vittorio, TH, Mike Tucker, Archie, JJ and the list goes on and on! So proud of our kids and coaches who stress doing "it" the right way and often win championships with less than the bigger schools we are competing against each week!

Last edited by College B-Ball Fan; 12-06-2015 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 12-06-2015, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by College B-Ball Fan View Post

Now hopefully the NCAA committee will give us another first round tournament play off location-----
Like here at home. Get good enough to get seeded and we can host.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:47 AM
Colonel

NovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to behold
The refs have made about 5 calls this match that have been bad and against Dayton. It would not have changed any set outcomes -- but when the PSU announcers are saying they are getting these calls in their favor -- you know they really are getting some points off bad ref calls.
How do you have 5 bad calls in a volleyball match? Maybe one or two. Something was amiss.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:46 PM
General of the Air Force

I have been very impressed with the team's improvement from the start of the season to the end of the season. This isn't a fluke because it has happened two years in a row. There is consistent individual improvement as well as team improvement.

I will write an article with feecback from the coaching staff on this season and their impressive quest for continual improvement.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (12-06-2015), jack72 (12-07-2015), Lifelong Flyer Fan (12-06-2015)