UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball > Archived Seasonal Game Threads > 2016-2017 Game Threads

2016-2017 Game Threads Specific threads dedicated to each home and away game for UD Men's Basketball.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-18-2017, 10:27 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,823 Times in 6,961 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud69 View Post
This kind of leads into what I thought was Archie's biggest blunder of the night.

Coming out of the under 8 timeout of the second half, 7:51 to be exact, Shockers just turned it over, our ball and the game tied at 43-43. We need a bucket badly. Scoochie has been sitting since the 8:36 mark - as has Pollard. These media timeouts are very long so they both should be rested. However, the team that Archie puts back on the floor - is Crosby, Mikesell, Miller, Cook, and Kyle Davis. As soon as they walked out on the floor I said to the guy next to me - That is not a good lineup. No rebounding and limited offense and overall weak defense.

At that moment I want my best team on the floor for the rest of the game. Archie needs to realize those long timeouts give players a lot of rest - and coach accordingly. It was on this trip up the floor that Miller eschewed the 3 and missed the layup. Mikesell commits a foul on the other end. Archie immediately subs X, Pollard, and Scoochie back into the game. WSU makes 1 of 2 at the line to take the lead - a lead they never gave up the rest of the game. This whole sequence took 30 seconds of game time. I thought it was a very key strategic mistake and the turning point of the game - even allowing for the abysmal shooting and rebounding.
Subs must check in before the 1st horn of a timeout and when I say nobody checking in and heard that 1st horn, I said basically the same thing to my boys only I added a few more #&%$>$&^! to it. Especially after the fouls and re-substitutions. Was the extra 14 seconds of rest necessary?

No.

Royally no.
Flyer 86 (03-18-2017), longtimefan67 (03-18-2017), ud69 (03-18-2017)
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2017, 10:37 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,290 Times in 1,310 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Subs must check in before the 1st horn of a timeout and when I say nobody checking in and heard that 1st horn, I said basically the same thing to my boys only I added a few more #&%$>$&^! to it. Especially after the fouls and re-substitutions. Was the extra 14 seconds of rest necessary?

No.

Royally no.
Agreed! I simply said to my wife "this is not good".
Old 03-18-2017, 11:37 AM

Thanked 6,101 Times in 4,151 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
Agreed! I simply said to my wife "this is not good".
Agree, I thought that was a mistake too. If we had the lead fine, but the game was slipping away at that point. I did not see how that bit of extra rest was necessary.
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 11:52 AM

Thanked 15,823 Times in 6,961 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
I did not see how that bit of extra rest was necessary.
I don't think Archie was giving them extra rest...I think he was trying to instill confidence in the other group.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:00 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,313 Times in 1,070 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by kiefaber455 View Post
After this game, Scoochie Smith will go down in the annals of UD basketball as one of the greatest guards to ever play for UD.
No question about it. I put him right up there with the best I had previously ever seen at UD, that being the great Johnny Davis. I don't think Scootch (or anybody I've ever seen) could keep up with Johnny's speed, but Johnny would have had a tough time defending SS creativity around the hoop. Both are my top 2 all time UD PG's - and that spans 50 years of watching UD ball. I hope to see SS in the NBA; he absolutely fits in.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:24 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post

No.

Royally no.
I turned to the UK fans next to me when I saw that lineup coming on the court and said "What the f*** is this lineup?"
Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 01:16 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
I'm watching the replay now that I'm home so I'm going to give some running thoughts.

1st Half:
Cooke played well the first 5 minutes.

What in the world was Darrell doing on those two drives in the first half. He hasn't tried to do that for a month or more. He is so much more effective when he just shoots 3s.

Sam Miller is giving good minutes. Great in rhythm 3 on a great assist by Scoochie.

Xman has thrown up 2 airball 3s so far. I just can't figure out how he can be so far off sometimes.

Shamet is all over Cooke and is contesting every drive.

Scoochie with an awesome drive and reverse spin flip something and the finish. And then a jumper to go up 5.

Leaning three at the buzzer by Wichita. UD was right on the guy too.

2nd Half: Coming later. Maybe the outcome will be different on my DVR
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (03-18-2017), Flyer 86 (03-18-2017), jack72 (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 03:52 PM
Colonel

MikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by C-time View Post
I'm watching the replay now that I'm home so I'm going to give some running thoughts.

1st Half:
Cooke played well the first 5 minutes.
When Cooke hit that three off a hand off, I really thought he was going to be dialed in.
Mad Props to MikeF For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-18-2017)