User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 06-23-2008, 07:47 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,568 Times in 5,077 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Music at the Arena

I thought it was time for another moment of reflection concerening the musical selections at our beloved Arena.

I thought that the music was much improved this year. I recall there was a way to make suggestions last year or the year before, and I thought there was a marked improvement in the quality of the selections since that time.

One of my favorites, that I would love to hear again at a big game, is Queen's "We Will Rock You" that was played at our last home victory over XU. I love that one because when the crowd is really up, they participate in that chant, and it can be one heck of an intimidating situation for an opponent.

I have always thought we are sitting on a powder keg of fan support that has rarely been properly tapped. Not every game is going to be at DEFCON level 10 like last years Pitt game, but I would like to see a little more creativity at getting the crowd to participate in some intimidating activity when everyone is on their feet, and the visitors have to call a time-out. Those are the best moments at the Arena. I wish I could bottle them.

Last edited by Fudd; 06-23-2008 at 07:52 PM..
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Major

allflyernamesaregone
There was almost mutiny on here when they had a new intro songlast year....The song was iffy, but I loved the radio highlights they had before it. Shame it went when they tossed the new song though...
Old 06-23-2008, 09:32 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,568 Times in 5,077 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
That was a very strange song they chose for the intro, IMO. I was happy to see it go. I do like the fact the they experimented some. We need more experimentation. Some things will work, and it will be worth it.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:44 PM
2nd Lieutenant

jonji
Originally Posted by Fudd View Post
That was a very strange song they chose for the intro, IMO. I was happy to see it go. I do like the fact the they experimented some. We need more experimentation. Some things will work, and it will be worth it.
I agree, experimentation is a good thing. I must say, however, Get Ready for This and Sandstorm (the songs at the beginning of each half) are so ingrained in the UD crowd culture that they shouldn't be changed.

The rest of the songs are fair game though.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:23 PM
Colonel

lilrudy4787 will become famous soon enough
I think it is almost certain they will experiment with some new things the first few games, but unless they are willing to dish out big cash to get name brand music, i think we will be back to the oldie but goodies of the past few years
Old 06-24-2008, 09:25 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't care for the player introduction music. I liked it better in 06-07 when the band would play the horse racing post time music. As soon as they ended that, the crowd could go wild. Now it's this melody of who knows what and it means very little. Kind of like, "oh, yea, here are the UD players..."

John
Old 06-24-2008, 01:40 PM
1st Lieutenant

Spuds will become famous soon enoughSpuds will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb Ask The Players!!!

All music should be chosen by the "players." These are the individuals who really need to be pumped up and get "flyered" up. The fans could say what songs they would like to hear, the players are the ones playing the game. It would be so so simple....
Old 06-24-2008, 01:48 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Do the players hear the music as much as the crowd does? Or are the speakers placed in such a way that you can't hear it so much on the court as you can the crowd because the sound isn't going in that general direction? In the same sense that a band doesn't hear the loud music as loud as people in the front row because the speakers are facing away from the band?

John