Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 08-26-2008, 03:49 PM
Colonel

smitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond repute
This just in from The Jetway

FLYER FANS GET A CHANCE TO APPEAR IN A MEN'S BASKETBALL COMMERCIAL

UD Men's Basketball Television Taping Will Take Place on Sept. 18 At UD Arena

Anxious to get your first look at the five new players for the University of Dayton men's basketball? Can't wait to get back to UD Arena? Have you ever wanted to be cast in a television commercial?

Head coach Brian Gregory and the Dayton Flyers can help you with all three....
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2008, 04:15 PM
Brigadier General

The Chef will become famous soon enoughThe Chef will become famous soon enough
Please do not copy entire articles.

That does constitute copyright infringement (and we don't want to land Chris or more likely you in hot water, now do we? )

Please just copy the link instead:
http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/sports/...082608aaa.html
Old 08-26-2008, 04:25 PM
Colonel

smitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Sorry!

I'm sorry. I gave them credit in the title, but it wasn't posted on the website yet and I just copied my email and pasted it. I don't want to get in trouble with anyone
Old 08-26-2008, 04:32 PM

John R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud of
Get ready to get on your feet !!!

Get ready to be Loud !!!!

Wear Red!!!
Old 08-26-2008, 10:36 PM
Captain

Rick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud of
No to be a jerk, but how is reprinting the information in a freaking PRESS RELEASE copyright infringement? They wouldn't RELEASE it to the PRESS if they didn't want the information to be distributed freely and often. It's a mindless paint-by-numbers public relations tool, not a super-secret hand-crafted 9th installment in the Harry Potter series. Sugardaddy deal with the SPAMbots or no, they care more about distributing information than about click-thrus. Otherwise: imagine what a worthless rag the DDN Sports Section would be.

Oh, wait.... bad example.

Anyway: yay for the completely innocent and time-saving civil disobedience that makes this a place for catching up on Flyer news, rather than a place for catching up on links to Flyer news. If I can save 6.7 seconds by not making an extra pain-in-my-rump click to find out that -- yes, indeed -- punch and pie WILL be provided at this fine gathering of upstanding citizens, then I think we should make it so....

Rick
Old 08-27-2008, 10:39 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Am i missing something here. Read the article Chef linked to and in no way is smitch copied the entire article. She highlighted what the article entails but the actual article is much longer. Think someone is taking it to the extreme.

Last edited by Avid Flyer; 08-27-2008 at 10:44 AM..
Old 08-27-2008, 12:07 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
She did copy the article initially and the post was edited. I seriously doubt the jetway is making any revenues from their website with advertising and would care less whether the entire article was spread onto every computer on the internet providing credit was given. But, I guess you never know for sure.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:08 PM
Captain

Xenia UDFan is a splendid one to beholdXenia UDFan is a splendid one to beholdXenia UDFan is a splendid one to beholdXenia UDFan is a splendid one to beholdXenia UDFan is a splendid one to beholdXenia UDFan is a splendid one to beholdXenia UDFan is a splendid one to behold
I'm also willing to bet that copying press releases has a different legality than copying articles. It likely isn't a problem. However, why bother risking it unless one is certain? It seems the risk of getting in trouble for copyright infringement is greater than the problem caused by one of the moderators putting up a link instead.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:21 PM
General of the Air Force

Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
She did copy the article initially and the post was edited. I seriously doubt the jetway is making any revenues from their website with advertising and would care less whether the entire article was spread onto every computer on the internet providing credit was given. But, I guess you never know for sure.
UDBrian at first thought that was the case but then didn't see any edited notation in her post so I figured she didn't post the whole article. So much for my logic.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:22 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Dirty Sanchez can only hope to improve
you guys seriously aren't debating this are you?
Old 08-28-2008, 08:38 AM
Colonel

Talking I was thinking that, too

Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
you guys seriously aren't debating this are you?
I thought it would end with my "sorry" post and then maybe one or two comments about the commercial. Who knew it would have turned into this?!
Old 08-28-2008, 02:00 PM
Brigadier General

The Chef will become famous soon enoughThe Chef will become famous soon enough
Time to educate.

Originally Posted by Rick Scaia View Post
No to be a jerk, but how is reprinting the information in a freaking PRESS RELEASE copyright infringement?
Rick, technically, The Jetway is not a Press Release, it's actually a web newsletter.

And to add to that, newpapers and magazines generally do not print out press releases word for word in their pages. They tend to edit them to suit the informational needs of their consumers.

And as for the how of copyright infringement, it takes one thing: The sentence below:

"Copyright © 2008, University of Dayton. All Rights Reserved"

Even that sentence is not required to file a copyright infringement claim and succeed, but the law is such that that series of words is all-binding with respect to copyright privleges. If someone copies that material word for word anywhere, it is copyright infringement unless you received written (i.e., provable) permission to copy it. And in such cases, it is very wise to include the following sentence:

"Reprinted with permission."

In fact, if you actually look at such newspaper articles that come from other sources, you'll find said sentence.

Now, there is a way around the need to use that sentence, and that is that you would pay to get your info from a syndicate. That is where someone pays money to get unfettered access to display or publish their content without limitation. The Associated Press is a syndicate. Newspapers pay a subscription fee on a per use basis to the Associated Press, and then those newspapers can run those stories with only the need to give the byline (and include AP in said byline) with the story. But, those who don't pay the syndicate don't have those rights. So, it only applies to the approved copier.

But the point is this: Why bother even taking a chance? This was practically harmless; there's no denying that. But I decided to use it as an opportunity to say that we all should be careful. If there is a web link to something, it comes highly recommended to just use it.

Last edited by The Chef; 08-28-2008 at 02:18 PM..
Old 08-28-2008, 06:57 PM
General of the Air Force

And just when you thought the debate ended