» Advertisement
Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Cruising For 'Burghers
Cruising For 'Burghers
Published by Swampy Meadows
01-14-2017
Cruising For 'Burghers

PITTSBURGH (PA) -- I can recall coming home on Christmas break from UD in the late ‘60’s and introducing my impressionable younger sister to the astonishing musical madness that was Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention. She immediately went back to her all-girls boarding school and did likewise to all of her friends. One of my prouder moments in euphonic evangelism.

Among those tunes was “Cruising for Burgers”:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D30r_MbIRVU

Archie and the Flyers will be “Cruising for ‘Burghers” this afternoon as they take on the Duquesne Dukes in a noontime matinee at the Pittsburgh Paints Arena (formerly the CONSOL Center), affectionately referred to locally as “The Paint Can.” “From the Swamp” made the trek down the increasingly expensive Ohio/PA Turnpike to take in the festivities. I’m sorry but $20 to drive a couple of hundred miles on a road is literally “highway robbery.”

As for me, I will be “cruising for a Danny’s Pizza oven-baked hoagie” at the conclusion of the contest.

After beating Bona at Olean and following it up with the stinkfest that was the UMass game, the Red and Blue will be looking for a little road redemption this afternoon. As is normally the case, The Red-clad invaders should outnumber the Dukes partisans by a healthy margin.

One young man that who was supposed to attend is 6’11” Brandon Stone, a local Pittsburgh product from Southmoreland HS, but he will be taking in the Pitt game instead:

http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2017/...visiting-pitt/

Talked to Larry before the game and his theory behind the Flyers’ erratic efforts is that UD plays crappy in lousy settings. Put them @ VCU or in St. Louis and they will perform; stick them in Amherst or @ LaSalle and they sink down to their environment. And today’s game is being held in a very good atmosphere, more or less a test drive of the arena where the A-10 tournament will be contested in less than two months.

-- Darrell Davis is raining down threes in warmups…hopefully an indicator of things to come.

-- Josh Cunningham had posted a pic on Twitter earlier this week of him without a boot and he’s not wearing one today, which is a welcome sight.

-- #1 Flyer Fanatic Tom Hirt and his family are here. And yes, he did bring his UD flag.

-- David Jablonski from The DDN drove over yesterday trying to outrun the ice storm that now appears to be heading south of here. I told David I have never seen a game in this arena and he said that he’s never been to the Palumbo Center. Go figure.

-- DD is starting for Charles once again. Scooch kicks it off with a lefty layup. Mikesell gets a questionable charge call continuing his string of early PF, but then redeems himself with a nice cut off an inbounds play before taking a seat. DD misses his first triple. X splits a pair and it’s 5-2 good guys. X then buries a three and taps in a SS miss. DD hits a finger roll on a breakaway and it is 12-4 with an even 15 minutes left in the half. The Dukes have only taken 5 shots thus far.

-- The reinforcements are in for UD, CC and Crosby. X steals an inbounds and finger rolls it home. The Dukes are cornering the market on carrying calls…and arm bar calls. 18-6 at the under 12 media TO.

-- X makes one of those baseline threes on which he has hit the side of the backboard at least twice this season. Good sign. KP and Mikesell battle underneath and Ryan gets whacked but misses both FTs. Scooch picks up his second PF and will sit for the last 9+ minutes. KP splits a pair but CC grabs the miss and he steps to the line, where he goes 1-2. KP looks right at Jablonski as he makes a layup and heads to the line. 28-15 with the under 8:00 media TO underway.

-- DD misses two triples in a row, both of them short. He needs to get under those shots. CC whistled for a PF, the team’s 6th; Dukes have 10. DU on a run but then Sam makes the old fashioned three-point play. And now CC gets called for the carry, but then makes a nice jumper…and a breakaway slam! UD back up by 13, 36-23. Mikesell goes 3-4 at the line and then steps in and takes the ball away. Turnovers are 13-6 in favor of Dayton and 21-9 in bench points. Pollard with a manly block on a Dukes layup attempt. UD leads at the half 39-26.

-- Sanders gets his 3rd PF defending vs. KP to start the half and he makes them pay at the line. Jump ball favors Flyers. KD gets called for an offensive foul and the ref provides the mascara call at the other end. And after some offensive futility, the Dayton lead is down to six, 41-35 with 16 and change to go. Here we go again.

-- Charles goes splash from three to restore order but the Dukes respond with one of their own. 44-38 at the under 16. X for three. UD racking up the PFs here. CC for three. UD back up by 12. SS gets his 3rd PF and here comes Crosby. UD has 6 PF with 13 minutes remaining, so the Dukes shoot from now on. 52-42 with 12 left. Sam with a hustle offensive rebound gets whacked. And Crosby with the Flyers’ step on the baseline call for this game. Mikesell with the O board, but UD passes it to no one. Scooch for trey, Dayton back up 11 56-45 with 8 ½ to go.

-- So I guess I was wrong about Darrell from his performance in warmups, eh? 0-6 ain’t gonna cut it. SS misses a trey but Ryan grabs the rebound. UD will shoot on the next Dukes foul. KD goes down and not liking the looks of this, as he is carried off the court. Charles with the big boy drive and Scooch follows with a layup. Scoochie Smith for three! Darrell Davis is hurt but has to keep playing. KP to CC for the layup. UD back up by 15, 65-50 with less than 4 minutes in the balance.

-- The clock runs out on UD, but they are comfortably ahead 67-52. A hearty “We are UD” comes up from the crowd and Darrell finally drains a three. 74-54 with 1:21 to go and Ferry calls a :30 TO. Why? Because he had one. The Dukes attempt to press and X finishes with a flush. Duquesne make a triple and Ferry calls another TO and draws up a 20-point play in the huddle.

Your final:

Dayton 76
Dukes 57

Charles with a sneaky 19 points on 6-11 shooting, including 2-3 from three, but one of them was a bank that he didn’t call. X had 18 and Scooch finished with 12.

After the game Archie said the Flyers were lazy getting back in the 2nd half and that led to the tightening score. He said Kyle made a pass and stumbled over the cheerleaders and sprained his ankle. Arch thinks PPG is a great venue for the A-10 tourney. He said Sam had a productive 8 minutes.

Archie's prediction for the game Sunday night is 21-17 Steelers over KC.

That’s it “From the Swamp.
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
Comment

Article Tools