Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 12-05-2008, 04:23 PM
Captain

hessbz12 is just really nicehessbz12 is just really nicehessbz12 is just really nicehessbz12 is just really nice
Who would you like to see Dayton play and why?

I know we all have certain teams that we'd like to see the Flyers play. Let's list them and tell us why....

Mine are:

Ohio University- this is my alma mater. While UD has been my favorite bball team my whole entire life, it would be awesome to see them play my alma mater.

Georgetown- this was my other fav hoops team growing up as I was a huge Alonzo Mouring, Mutombo, Othella Harrington, Iverson, fan. I think it'd be a cool game nowadays, becaus Georgetown runs that Princeton offense and we run and gun. I think it'd be an interesting game.
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2008, 04:28 PM
1st Lieutenant

captaincareful will become famous soon enoughcaptaincareful will become famous soon enough
Michigan State. Just because this is where BG coached. They also always have good teams. I also like their style of play.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:37 PM
Captain

PerrymanFan is a jewel in the roughPerrymanFan is a jewel in the roughPerrymanFan is a jewel in the rough
MSU - I work in East Lansing, the community supports their Spartans very well.
Georgetown - Chris Wright vs Chris Wright
Clemson - I'd love OP to come back to the arena

Love to see UConn, Kansas, UCLA or Gonzaga simply because they have the best coaches in the game that we haven't faced in recent years.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,945 Times in 2,942 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Notre-Freakin'-Dame.

Coupla reasons:

--I've hated those guys ever since the future Mrs. Swampy and I did a road trip there for a hoops game and the ND fans were so condescending towards us. And I wnet to Notre Dame HS!

--we always kicked their butt when they came here.

--just because.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:50 PM
1st Lieutenant

GlassCityFlyer will become famous soon enough
Buckeyes - In the arena get some revenge for last year, and buckeye fans are annoying

Wisconsin - I currently live in Wisconsin and never get to see the flyers, and the Badgers always have a good program up here

Duke/NorthCarolina/Kentucky/Kansas/UCLA - Always love a shot at the "big" guys, whoever that is, love the opportunity to play the best in the country

Last edited by GlassCityFlyer; 12-05-2008 at 04:55 PM..
Old 12-05-2008, 04:51 PM

ClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these parts
UCONN

Ohio State

Louisville

Michigan St.

Wofford

Love to see them play at UD Arena.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:59 PM
Colonel

as_4 will become famous soon enough
Mercer.

And that dream came true this year.
Mad Props to as_4 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClearTheRunwayForWLJ (12-05-2008)
Old 12-05-2008, 05:01 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
I would love to see UD play Gonzaga...I think UD can easily be the Gonzaga of the Midwest if it continues improving.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Brigadier General

FlyerFanatic21 is just really niceFlyerFanatic21 is just really niceFlyerFanatic21 is just really niceFlyerFanatic21 is just really niceFlyerFanatic21 is just really nice
Syracuse
Texas
Kansas
Michigan
Indiana
Stanford
Old 12-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,603 Times in 2,849 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Fans preference...

In order for UD to play more interesting home games it will have to play more series opponnents, meaning one-to-three fewer home games. When I suggest this I always get my ears boxed by those that, apparently, would much rather watch the Flyers as many times as they can at the Arena, regardless of the opponent. Certainly, that's a reasonable point of view;...but it's not mine.

UConn, like UD, is one of those schools that wants to play all but two or three NC games at home, meaning some really lousy home games. I would much, much rather attend 8 home NC games, let's say, incl several really good ones, than 11 with only one or two decent games. To each his own, I suppose.

I think our PFL connection should be more helpful. Would there be no more interest for a Drake, Davidson, Butler or San Diego game than Coppin State, Deleware State, etc? I think so; but those schools will require home-and-home deals.

I would like to see at least one and preferably two more annual NC rivalries like Miami. Why wouldn't a Bradley play us every year in an on-going series? Or a Creighton? I suppose such arrangements are rare these days. But why? Like minded schools have just as much trouble scheduling as does UD. Programs like the two I've mentioned draw very well consistently, like UD.

And TK has said that he is willing to play a single road game against a top program to gain exposure. IF he requires that the game be nationally telecast, good luck! Why not settle for regional TV as a compromise? We were willing to play Lousiville home and home with our end of home in Cincy;....and it could not have worked out better for UD. Would Kentucky go for a similar deal? Or West Virginia?

As I understand it, UD has to earn deals by being in the national lime light for a while; like Gonzaga which has no trouble getting UConn out to Washington.

I don't know if this is true. But, I have heard that to get top players Gonzaga has bent the rules to a degree that would be unacceptable to Dayton. We know that is not the case at Xavier.

Bottom line: my favorite NC opponent for the Flyers is Villanova. We've had some great games with the Cats and they have been willing to play in Dayton in the past.

It will be interesting to see if Tim Wabler has a somehwhat different strategy than TK.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:11 PM
Major

FlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really nice
I am eight flippin' million miles away from UD Arena. Next week, I'm driving five flippin' hours to see the Creighton game in Omaha. I would like a game within a three hour drive, such as Drake, Northern Iowa, Iowa State or Minnesota. Is this too much to ask? We play Drake in football, why not basketball? My 12 year old son can't believe we're actually going to see a real UD game after his having been a fan his entire life. You know what it's like watching games on the Internet year after year and never seeing anyone real? I can't believe this will be my first game since '82 or '83 when I saw the Flyers lose against Old Dominion in Norfolk and in '85 when I saw them lose in a last second shot at Maryland. Yikes.

Last edited by FlyerYouBetcha; 12-05-2008 at 05:16 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyerYouBetcha For This Totally Excellent Post:
DaytonInsider (12-05-2008), UDEE79 (12-05-2008)
Old 12-05-2008, 05:12 PM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
LSU in Baton Rouge. So I don't have to make a road trip, I can watch my alma mater and the school I work for play in a basketball arena named after one of my all time favorites Pistol Pete Maravich.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:17 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,198 Times in 584 Posts
Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
My choices are selfish. I'd love to see UD play Seton Hall and/or Rutgers in NJ.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:17 PM
Captain

Snackman will become famous soon enoughSnackman will become famous soon enough
Would love to see them play Wright State.....Just kidding.

I'd like to see them play a home and home against Arkansas, so I could rub it in my buddy's face when we kick their jabroni ***.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Snackman For This Totally Excellent Post:
ELDoro (12-08-2008), Glen Clark (12-05-2008)
Old 12-05-2008, 05:23 PM
Captain

DaytonDecibelDungeon is a splendid one to beholdDaytonDecibelDungeon is a splendid one to beholdDaytonDecibelDungeon is a splendid one to beholdDaytonDecibelDungeon is a splendid one to beholdDaytonDecibelDungeon is a splendid one to beholdDaytonDecibelDungeon is a splendid one to behold
Duke (again) but this time at UD! So they can experience the Dayton Decibel Dungeon and the"real" crazies

tOSU just b/c I like chanting "let's go suck-eyes" (which I did in their house during last yr's NIT... hehe, they didn't appreciate that! )

Clemson b/c of OP

Gonzaga

Notre Lame b/c I would've loved to seen all us form the Greater Catholic Conference a couple of yrs ago when the conferences were re-aligning
Old 12-05-2008, 05:26 PM
1st Lieutenant

daytonrocks will become famous soon enoughdaytonrocks will become famous soon enough
Duke unc and anyone in the top 25 so we can upset them baby AND THE GAYTORS LOL
Old 12-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,743 Times in 798 Posts
UDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond repute
Bring back the rivalry with Notre Dame!

Picture them coming to the Arena and while starting lineups are being introduced, a video clips from the old days are shown to the UD faithful of the old days when Digger would pace up and down the floor, complain about the crowd, and then get pelted with everything from TP to sneekers to beer cups when he got too close to the student section! God he was/is a twit!

I know the Xavier rivalry is big now, but I don't think anything can match the mayhem that would go along with beating the "Starched Khakis" from South Bend......

Last edited by UDBaby; 12-05-2008 at 06:04 PM..
Old 12-05-2008, 06:27 PM
1st Lieutenant

XavierFan is infamous around these partsXavierFan is infamous around these partsXavierFan is infamous around these partsXavierFan is infamous around these partsXavierFan is infamous around these partsXavierFan is infamous around these partsXavierFan is infamous around these partsXavierFan is infamous around these parts
When I read this question, I figured it to be, who would I like to see this year's Dayton team play.

Obviously, being about as unbiased as I can be and taking it from strictly a fan's perspective, I thought that there would be a couple of teams who's styles and success would make it an interesting and exciting match-up. I'm not saying one team would blow out another, but simply just a good old fashioned slug fest type of game.

So, with much thought put into this...

Gonzaga: Another private university with obvious success. I think that while Zaga, on paper, would be favored, I think Dayton's "not afraid to go toe to toe with anyone" attitude on this year's team, would make it an intense battle. If Dayton's shooting shows up, then we could be in for a classic.

Maryland: I watched thme beat Michigan State, and they didn't always make the best decisions with the ball, but they certainly can play. In the past, Maryland always had a nasty defense and I want to see Dayton's middle go at them.

Toledo: This is not an insult. Yes, they play int he MAC, but watching them, they can slug it out with anyone in the A10 (they did with us) and they have some serious scoring threats. I think christ Wright would have a big game, but Dayton would need someone else to step up and hope to contain Toledo's back court. Again, this isn't an insult. Toledo has a solid squad this year and I didn't believe it either until I saw them play. They may surprise some teams by the end of the year. While I still think Dayton would win by 15 in this one, I think that it was be an exciting game that would be back and forth for a bit of it and would produce some solid basketball.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:34 PM

masonflyer is a splendid one to beholdmasonflyer is a splendid one to beholdmasonflyer is a splendid one to beholdmasonflyer is a splendid one to beholdmasonflyer is a splendid one to beholdmasonflyer is a splendid one to beholdmasonflyer is a splendid one to behold
Georgetown, GW, Catholic University, Mary Washington, American, UMBC, Towson, GMU, Richmond, VCU, Maryland, and Galludet - all on the road. I'd be at every one.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:42 PM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
I assume we are talking about home-and-homes.

Won't happen but has happened in the past:

1. Notre Dame
2. Ohio State
3. Louisville
4. Cincinnati
5. Marquette / DePaul

Not even worth thinking about:

1. North Carolina
2. Duke
3. Kentucky
4. UConn
5. Kansas / UCLA

Could/Should happen (or is already happening ):

1. Creighton
2. Bradley
3. Southern Illinois
4. Ohio University
5. VCU

Last edited by longtimefan; 12-05-2008 at 06:52 PM..
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
XavierFan (12-05-2008)
Old 12-05-2008, 08:05 PM

Thanked 4,603 Times in 2,849 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Buffalo?

There may be more that goes on behind the scenes than we realize. Last night UConn played at Buffalo...that's AT Buffalo, and they were mighty lucky to win. But, what in the world would get UConn to Buffalo? And, I learned that this is the fourth year in a row that a Big East team has played at Buffalo. How can one possibly explain that knowing what we think we know about scheduling dynamics? I don't get it.

But consider the following possible scenario that could not occur if we were talking about a private school. NY borders CT. Suppose a top person somewhere in NY state goverment who is a Buffalo grad mentions to a close colleage in the CT legislature that "he would really love to see UConn play the Bulls in Buffalo, see what you can do". And that CT legislature pointedly passes along the request to the UConn AD. I can tell you from experience that UConn does back flips to keep ALL CT legislators happy;....the CT legislature is UConn's meal ticket. It seems reasonable that sort of thing could happen. If I'm not mistaken all the BE schools that played at Buffalo were state schools.

Didn't the Pitt AD, a former Kettering resident, arrange the game at the Arena? Somewhere I heard that. So while coaches have much to say about scheduling, I wonder how often simple personal connections are enough to arrange an otherwise unlikely game.

That being the case, couldn't TK, an associate AD for some time at Arizona (or was it ASU), talk Arizona into a game at the Arena? How about BG's association with Northwestern? NU has played at the Arena but that was in the OP era. Surely, personal relationships and past connections must count for something that could/should be of help to UD as regards getting an occasional desirable opponent to visit Dayton.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Just off the Jet

udrocks98 is on a distinguished road
Wright State!
Mad Props to udrocks98 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER FANATIC 88 (12-06-2008)
Old 12-05-2008, 08:45 PM
2nd Lieutenant

addicted2flyers
Georgetown and OSU for reasons already state

Pitt, because it would remind me of last time.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:14 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Dirty Sanchez can only hope to improve
Clemson at UD Arena - we owe OP a big standing ovation. I think that would be great, but it will never happen. Perhaps Wabler can make that happen....?

Syracuse at Carrier Dome - grew up a huge Syracuse fan while living in upstate NY.

Notre Dame at UD Arena - would love to see this past series re-kindled.

Ohio State at UD Arena - get radish nose back here; I'd love to see some of the old crusty fans who try to get by at UD games wearing gross and old OSU gear and what they would do. Make a commitment you walrus...

Wright State anywhere - feed the trolls so we don't have to see these threads surface every 90 days.
Mad Props to Dirty Sanchez For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER FANATIC 88 (12-06-2008)
Old 12-05-2008, 09:24 PM
Just off the Jet

goodbyeflyer is on a distinguished road
DePaul

Like mentioned above DePaul would be a great team to play. Bring the Flyers to Chicago for the alumni here that don't have an A-10 team in the area. It happened just 4 years ago and was a home and home. They may not be in thet top 1/2 of the BE, but at least they are in the Big East.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:06 PM
Colonel

Gilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud of
Great question.

Ohio State - I'm a fan of both. I loved seeing them play last year and would love a rematch.
Michigan State - top of big 10, BG mentor
Michigan - Another reason to root against them
Pick an ACC Team.

(a few years ago, I would have said Kentucky and Indiana, but those games just don't interest me anymore)
Old 12-05-2008, 11:21 PM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
There may be more that goes on behind the scenes than we realize. Last night UConn played at Buffalo...that's AT Buffalo, and they were mighty lucky to win. But, what in the world would get UConn to Buffalo? And, I learned that this is the fourth year in a row that a Big East team has played at Buffalo. How can one possibly explain that knowing what we think we know about scheduling dynamics? I don't get it.
The Buffalo AD must have pictures of some of the Big East AD's in compromising positions, maybe taken at the conference meeting. I believe Pitt played at Buffalo a couple years ago. Maybe the Buffalo AD gave some of those pictures to TK.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:01 AM
Captain

PerrymanFan is a jewel in the roughPerrymanFan is a jewel in the roughPerrymanFan is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
Clemson at UD Arena - we owe OP a big standing ovation. I think that would be great, but it will never happen. Perhaps Wabler can make that happen....?
I agree that OP deserves a huge standing O from his former faithful, but why will this never happen? Strictly because they are ACC? When OP was here we went home and home with Old Dominion, which obviously back fired quite terribly.

I do like the recent OOC rivalries with Akron and Creighton both, hopefully these can continue...
Old 12-06-2008, 01:41 AM
Major

Iguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by PerrymanFan View Post
When OP was here we went home and home with Old Dominion, which obviously back fired quite terribly.
I think that the home and home with Old Dominion was part of an agreement that UD made with OD to settle a dispute over Purnell's contract. There was an obscure article I remember reading which detailed the negotiations between the two schools. Old Dominion had a clause in Purnell's contract that said if he signed with a different school then that school had to pay a buyout equal to the remaining amount on his contract. UD hired Purnell and simply refused to pay OD anything. They eventually reached a settlement, which I believe included a generous buy-in for the game at UD and a road game at Old Dominion.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:42 AM
Academy Doolie

murphy10 is on a distinguished road
ND- because my brother goes there, and I've always disliked ND. Also there are so many pompous ND fans in Chicago. It would be a clash of catholic vs. catholic

Wisconsin- My other brother goes there and they are my second favorite team. UD and UW have completely different styles UD- Run UW - Slow. But yet both are outstanding on defense. plus mickey would go off on his old team
Old 12-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,477 Times in 1,111 Posts
JimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond repute
My list as far as home-and-homes go.

1. Notre Dame
2. Ohio State
3. DePaul
4. Clemson (as long as OP is still there)
5. Indiana
Old 12-06-2008, 01:59 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I want to see UD play Duke, UNC and Kentucky in the elite eight, same season
Old 12-07-2008, 12:12 PM
1st Lieutenant

AQUDXU will become famous soon enoughAQUDXU will become famous soon enough
To go off the beaten path...

I'd like to see UD schedule home and homes with the road games being very winnable, and very meaningful. I'm talking about lower D-I schools that typically dominate their conferences:

Vermont
Boston U
Utah St
Weber St
Winthrop
Belmont
South Alabama
Nothwestern State

UD can win all of those road games. They aren't gimmes, but if they play hard and play reasonably well, they're all wins. UD then gets credit on Selection Sunday for beating a conference champ on their home floor. Schools like Utah State typically win 25 games a year. It's not against quality competition, but it helps your RPI playing them.

I'd also like the road trip to be some type of prelude to the NCAAs. Schedule a game that will be somewhere close to that year's 1st round sites, so if you get sent there, the team's already familiar withthe surroundings. The A-10 takes care of alot of the East for us, so we need to look South and West. For example, this year there are games in Boise and Portland. I'm not saying we're going to be sent West, or to either of those sites. I do think it's better to drop a Coppin State and play at Boise State in Boise with the potential pay off of playing someone like a ND in the NCAA 1st round in Boise. That'd be a nice advantage to have.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:36 AM
Captain

cbusflyer12 is on a distinguished road
1. DUKE or UNC at the Arena (I know I am dreaming) they have been the top of college basketball for the last 15 years and I would love to see them go down in the arena. UNC already did once to George Mason

2. @ Campbell University (I went there)

3. Gonzaga (clash of the "mid majors" though I think the Zags can't really be a mid major. And I do not think we can be the Gonzaga of the MW. As much as I hate to say it... right now X is the Gonzaga of the MW.

4. OSU @ the Arena ( I think UD would BLOW THEM OUT)

5. Clemson or whoever OP is coaching when the game is scheduled

6. MSU (izzo - bg connection)

7. Georgetown - 84' rematch

8. Purdue -- some tough loses is recent years... **** Brian Cardinal)

9. Evansville - I remember going to these games as a kid. What was the name of the kid from there that lit us up last time we played them... Eschmeyer??? It was something like that

10. MAUI Invitational.... It just would be nice to go back to it and get some early games on national TV
Old 12-08-2008, 06:55 AM
General

Thanked 4,902 Times in 2,262 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
Florida. My wife (UF grad) doesn't want to see it, but I'd love to see the Flyers & Gators hook up.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:23 AM
Major

TheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to behold
Home and Homes:
Michigan State
Clemson
Notre Dame
Indiana
Cincinnati
Davidson
Drake
Pitt (try to keep this one going)
Kentucky

One and done away games:
Duke
Gonzaga
Georgetown
Ohio State (they won't play at UD, just won't happen)
Some sort of early Tourney every year (Maui, Chicago, PR, NIT, etc...)

One and done home games:
Wright State (no reason to play there, a la UD vs OSU)
Old 12-08-2008, 10:03 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Clemson at UD Arena - we owe OP a big standing ovation. I think that would be great, but it will never happen. Perhaps Wabler can make that happen....?.
I wouldn't stand for OP and I certainly was one of the first out of my seat for Don Donoher. I respect what OP did and UD is better off for it. He was well payed for what he accomplished. But, UD wanted him to stay and he wanted to leave and to that I say "good luck and good riddance". I'm sure everyone doesn't agree with me
Old 12-08-2008, 10:52 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone BUT Clemson. My wife graduated from Clemson, and is very serious about their sports.

I am certain it would all but end our marriage. Have mercy on me!
Old 12-08-2008, 12:00 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,005 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
When I was in school the three big rivals were:

1) Notre Dame
2) Depaul
3) Marquette

Xavier wasn't even on the radar.

I miss the days of seeing the three mentioned above at the arena.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

ChicagoFlyer is a jewel in the roughChicagoFlyer is a jewel in the roughChicagoFlyer is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows View Post
Notre-Freakin'-Dame.

Coupla reasons:

--I've hated those guys ever since the future Mrs. Swampy and I did a road trip there for a hoops game and the ND fans were so condescending towards us. And I wnet to Notre Dame HS!

--we always kicked their butt when they came here.

--just because.
Swampy, how do you know someone went to Notre Dame?....They will tell you.

but to answer this question: Illinois, We have already beaten Marquette which shuts up all of the arrogant MU fans that I had to deal with a few weeks ago before the game, now I really want to play Illinois AT illinois. IT has nothing to do with meacham, I just hate Illinois basketball. Too many MU and U of I fans around here, and Im sick of having to hear about the Big East everyday
Old 12-09-2008, 03:29 PM
Captain

hessbz12 is just really nicehessbz12 is just really nicehessbz12 is just really nicehessbz12 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Sea Bass View Post
When I was in school the three big rivals were:

1) Notre Dame
2) Depaul
3) Marquette

Xavier wasn't even on the radar.

I miss the days of seeing the three mentioned above at the arena.
Funny you mention Xavier not being on the radar back then. My Dad played for the Flyers from 1969-1973 and he said back then they would WHOOP on Xavier and it wasn't even a rivalry.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,230 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by XavierFan
When I read this question, I figured it to be, who would I like to see this year's Dayton team play.

Toledo: This is not an insult. Yes, they play int he MAC, but watching them, they can slug it out with anyone in the A10 (they did with us) and they have some serious scoring threats. I think christ Wright would have a big game, but Dayton would need someone else to step up and hope to contain Toledo's back court. Again, this isn't an insult. Toledo has a solid squad this year and I didn't believe it either until I saw them play. They may surprise some teams by the end of the year. While I still think Dayton would win by 15 in this one, I think that it was be an exciting game that would be back and forth for a bit of it and would produce some solid basketball.
This is happening Jan 2nd at Toledo
Old 12-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Dirty Sanchez can only hope to improve
Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
I wouldn't stand for OP and I certainly was one of the first out of my seat for Don Donoher. I respect what OP did and UD is better off for it. He was well payed for what he accomplished. But, UD wanted him to stay and he wanted to leave and to that I say "good luck and good riddance". I'm sure everyone doesn't agree with me

Get over it. OP has a gift and a niche of rebuilding programs - he did it at ODU, he did it here and he's doing an unbelievable job of it at Clemson right now. If you can't appreciate what he did and give him his respect, you don't understand where this program was when he took it over. All of us have the ability to enjoy Flyer basketball again and OP is a major reason for that. We were literally one of the worst basketball teams/program at mid-major levels.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:02 PM

masonflyer is a splendid one to beholdmasonflyer is a splendid one to beholdmasonflyer is a splendid one to beholdmasonflyer is a splendid one to beholdmasonflyer is a splendid one to beholdmasonflyer is a splendid one to beholdmasonflyer is a splendid one to behold
Get over it. OP has a gift and a niche of rebuilding programs - he did it at ODU, he did it here and he's doing an unbelievable job of it at Clemson right now. If you can't appreciate what he did and give him his respect, you don't understand where this program was when he took it over. All of us have the ability to enjoy Flyer basketball again and OP is a major reason for that. We were literally one of the worst basketball teams/program at mid-major levels.
I agree wholeheartedly. Where would we be now without OP? We owe him a big debt of gratitude for what he did here. I can't blame him for taking a better job, who wouldn't do the same. I hope Clemson wins the ACC every year.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:04 AM
1st Lieutenant

uddave has a spectacular aura aboutuddave has a spectacular aura about
Duke

My dad took me to Vegas for my 21st bday, and we were at the sportsbook before watching the game. They were giving 15 points to the Flyers, so I was going to put $10 on it. I went up to the window to place the bet, and found out the guy working there graduated from UD. I felt the good vibes, so I made it $100, and the Flyers beat the pointspread!