User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 02-08-2018, 10:52 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Viperstick View Post
Coolest. Mascot. Ever.

Had to look it up. Keggy the Keg.
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2018, 12:49 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,993 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan67 View Post
Exactly- lost my dad very unexpectedly when I was 36 and i was in a daze for 6-9 months. You cannot calculate the impact of something like that. I can tell you this- it definitely affected my work performance. Assuming he stays we’ll see a completely different player next year in KA. And i add, he gets a pass from me this year just because of his age.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, if it hadn’t been for my friends and family (my mom, my wife, and 1 cousin in particular) pulling me through, I’d have been a total basket case. And that was at age 25. Hard to imagine how it is for him in his situation.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2018, 01:02 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
After all the flak that Anthony Grant received after the St. Louis game for not calling a timeout during a 10-0 first half run by the Billikens and not calling a single timeout during the entire second half I think he deserves kudos for calling a strategic timeout last night at the 8:15 mark of the second half! Because of a bogus foul on a strip by Jordan Davis and the ensuing technical foul on AG the Flyers saw their lead reduced from 18 to 14 in a matter of 23 seconds!

After a near perfect first ten minutes of the second half the Flyers were cruising but when the technical was assessed I'm sure many of the Flyer Faithful thought this could be a momentum changer in the game!

The timeout was perfectly timed and we regained control of the game by continuing to push the ball which created many easy baskets down the stretch and the final 15 point cushion.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CvilleFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (02-08-2018), Flyer 86 (02-21-2018), jack72 (02-08-2018), OSU Flyer (02-08-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 09:59 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,328 Times in 1,078 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
I am skeptical. Coming off 4 straight NCAAT appearances, the best streak in school history, and an A10 league title, you mean to tell me that the majority of people on here thought we might be below .500 this year? Sorry, I just am not buying that.
Does this give you a better idea:
Dayton lost 6/8 of the top scoring players to graduation or injury.
Of the 2/8 left, only DD has elevated his game, the other (XW) for whatever reason, didn't and has regressed.
9-12 was John Crosby, Josh Cunningham and Trey Landers
16/17 PPG averages:
Crosby: 2.8 over 32 games
Josh C: 6.3 over 11 games
Trey: 3.0 over 9 games

So if XW and John C for whatever reason haven't shown enough to be starters, then they continue to be just bench players at best.

Now you have 2 freshmen starting with zero Division 1 experience.
Add: Josh, Trey and D. Davis

And a bunch of additional freshmen with zero Division 1 experience.

And with all of that, you expected at least an NIT team? Maybe, if everyone had stepped up their game but 2 notable upperclassmen didn't. I think AG saw that early on and decided to develop for the future. (And I'm OK with that).
Old 02-18-2018, 02:06 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,122 Times in 4,168 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Of the 2/8 left, only DD has elevated his game, the other (XW) for whatever reason, didn't and has regressed.
16/17 PPG averages:

So if XW and John C for whatever reason haven't shown enough to be starters, then they continue to be just bench players at best.

And with all of that, you expected at least an NIT team? Maybe, if everyone had stepped up their game but 2 notable upperclassmen didn't. I think AG saw that early on and decided to develop for the future. (And I'm OK with that).
https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...y-madness/amp/:

First four out

Dayton Flyers

The Flyers have made four straight NCAA tourneys, but lost four key seniors. More important, they lost Archie Miller, who took the Indiana job. Anthony Grant, who went 117-85 in six seasons at Alabama, will have his hands full.

Last edited by ud2; 02-18-2018 at 02:08 PM..
Old 02-18-2018, 02:29 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Matt Schwade was on local radio before Ball St & he didn't think this was a losing season battling not to finish in last place
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 04:00 PM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute

First four out

Dayton Flyers

The Flyers have made four straight NCAA tourneys, but lost four key seniors. More important, they lost Archie Miller, who took the Indiana job. Anthony Grant, who went 117-85 in six seasons at Alabama, will have his hands full.
What was that guy smoking?
Old 02-18-2018, 06:50 PM
Major General

longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
Matt Schwade was on local radio before Ball St & he didn't think this was a losing season battling not to finish in last place
Posted via Mobile Device
Oh- Jerry Palm, enuf said
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-18-2018, 07:06 PM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
16/17 PPG averages:

And what about this site?

The Flyers were ranked #53, #3 in the A10. Projected to go to the NIT.

We are #131 right now.

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/15118
Old 02-18-2018, 07:10 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

FlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond repute

We are #131 right now.

Just shows we had built up some credibility during the Archie years. So we have a "brand" amongst the prognosticators. We need to get back soon... I think we will.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyerBob For This Totally Excellent Post:
SLUFLYER (02-18-2018), UD62 (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 07:13 PM

Thanked 6,616 Times in 3,023 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute

We are #131 right now.

So what? These pre-season projections are often wrong. And those folks probably expected big things from, X, Kostas, and Svoboda. We have gotten next to nothing from all of them.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:15 PM

Does this give you a better idea:...
Or what about the A10 preseason poll? We were picked #5.

We are in a 3 way tie for 8th now, 1 game ahead of 2 teams.

http://www.atlantic10.com/pdf9/5459739.pdf

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...-10-conference

Last edited by ud2; 02-18-2018 at 07:27 PM..
Old 02-18-2018, 07:18 PM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Oh- Jerry Palm, enuf said
Posted via Mobile Device
https://player.fm/series/stay-in-tou...s-hoops-on-dss
Old 02-18-2018, 07:48 PM

Thanked 2,377 Times in 809 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
Or what about the A10 preseason poll? We were picked #5.

We are in a 3 way tie for 8th now, 1 game ahead of 2 teams.

http://www.atlantic10.com/pdf9/5459739.pdf

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...-10-conference
Yeah, and one game behind a tie for fifth place, not to mention two games behind fourth. We suck and so does most of the league. No matter how you spin it, this team was never set up to sniff a dance card.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:38 PM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute

First four out

Dayton Flyers

I believe OSU Flyer had already posted this somewhere. Look at the predictions for Wisc, Minn and Vandy, then come back an tell me how relevant July brackets are.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
mikeymo85 (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
So what? These pre-season projections are often wrong. And those folks probably expected big things from, X, Kostas, and Svoboda. We have gotten next to nothing from all of them.
Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
Yeah, and one game behind a tie for fifth place, not to mention two games behind fourth. We suck and so does most of the league. No matter how you spin it, this team was never set up to sniff a dance card.
All 3 of those sites had us at 5th place or better. 2 of the 3 had us in the NIT or NCAAT.

IMO, that is somewhat of a consensus.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:49 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

IndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
They were all wrong. That is the consensus I've reached.
Posted via Mobile Device
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to IndianaFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
longtimefan (02-20-2018), longtimefan67 (02-20-2018), MikeFlyer (02-20-2018), TXFlyerFan (02-19-2018), UD62 (02-19-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 01:01 AM

Several places picked UD as 5th or better, it was not unreasonable to think that this was at least a NIT team.

Here are a few more:

Street and Smith's 8th place

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...6w5m8FICfR6oL/

Athlon 4th place

Lindy's 6th place

Sports Illustrated 5th place

https://www.si.com/college-basketbal...ings-standings

NBC 5th place

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.c...leads-the-way/

Three man weave, 7th place, NIT projection

http://three-man-weave.com/3mw/2017/...017-18-preview
Old 02-20-2018, 09:09 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,282 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Several places picked UD as 5th or better, it was not unreasonable to think that this was at least a NIT team.

Here are a few more:

Street and Smith's 8th place

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...6w5m8FICfR6oL/

Athlon 4th place

Lindy's 6th place

Sports Illustrated 5th place

https://www.si.com/college-basketbal...ings-standings

NBC 5th place

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.c...leads-the-way/

Three man weave, 7th place, NIT projection

http://three-man-weave.com/3mw/2017/...017-18-preview
Half the examples you site have UD at 6th or worse. Not a very convincing arguement. Perhaps you should go back to the 15-15 schedule
Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 09:18 AM
Major General

We are #131 right now.

Haha, seriously? Did you actually read the entire article?

>>>Projected starting 5:

Projected Starting Five:
John Crosby, Junior, Guard, 2.8 points per game - Nope
Darrell Davis, Senior, Guard, 5.5 points per game
Xeyrius Williams, Junior, Forward, 8.2 points per game - Nope
Josh Cunningham, Junior, Forward, 6.3 points per game
Kostas Antetokounmpo, Freshman, Forward, DNP last season - Nope

>>>Who’s In:
Redshirt freshman Kostas Antetokounmpo has the potential to make a huge impact right away. He comes from a great basketball family and has international experience with the Greek under-20 team. At 6-10 and 190 pounds, he could stand to put on more weight, but Antetokounmpo is a superb talent with a ton of potential. From day one he should be a good shot blocker and rebounder, but do not be surprised if he develops into a decent scorer by the end of his freshman campaign as well. Incoming freshmen Matej Svoboda, Obadiah Toppin and Jordan Pierce will add plenty of depth to the frontcourt. Jordan Davis, a 6-4 guard, will need to help replace the loss of all of those shooters. And he certainly has the tools to quickly become a star on the perimeter. Jalen Crutcher is the point guard of the future, but he will have to play some quality minutes right away too.

Who to Watch:
Unlike in years past, this Dayton team will be relying heavily on their frontcourt. Xeyrius Williams, a 6-8 forward, is the team’s top returning scorer and rebounder, averaging 8.2 points and 4.8 rebounds as a freshman. Offensively, Williams has the ability to stretch the defense with his three-point shooting ability. Josh Cunningham is poised for a breakout season. He flashed some of his talent last year before an ankle injury limited him to just 11 games. Cunningham sat out the previous season after transferring in from Bradley so he has been waiting for a long time to show what he can do. Cunningham will be a strong rebounder and a very efficient scorer. Both Williams and Cunningham will have to be leaders on the floor. If they live up to their potential, along with some help from the newcomers, this could be the best frontcourt in the Atlantic 10.

Final Projection:
The bigger issues are in the backcourt. John Crosby gained some experience last year, averaging 13.3 minutes per game, but now he will be the starting point guard. He will not be the next Scoochie Smith, but as long as Crosby can run the offense effectively, Dayton will be in decent shape. If Crosby can score though, it would be helpful. Most of the scoring from the perimeter will likely come from Darrell Davis. The 6-5 senior did not have a great junior year in the scoring department, but he is turning into a great all-around player. With more shots to go around, Davis should see a massive boost in scoring. Even if he continues to just be an outside shooter, Davis should do plenty of scoring. There are a lot of big names to replace and it may take some time for it to happen, but there is also a lot of talent on this team. Dayton can reload in a hurry and by the time conference play rolls around, the Flyers will be a tough team to beat.
<<<

* source above: http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/15118
Mad Props to longtimefan67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 09:32 AM
General of the Air Force

^^^
That pretty much sums up why this season has turned out to be so disappointing.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:55 AM

longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
All 3 of those sites had us at 5th place or better. 2 of the 3 had us in the NIT or NCAAT.

IMO, that is somewhat of a consensus.
Athlon had Minnesota 2nd in the Big 10. Lindy's had them 3rd. Street & Smith had them 4th. All had them in the Top 25. IMO, that is somewhat of a consensus. You might want to check the Big 10 standings. (Hint: Minnesota is tied for last.)
Old 02-20-2018, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
Half the examples you site have UD at 6th or worse. Not a very convincing arguement. Perhaps you should go back to the 15-15 schedule
And half of the examples had UD 5th or better.

I will agree that this issue is debatable.

But, for many posters on here to say that UD this year had no shot at the NCAAT or NIT, is just flat out wrong.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:19 PM

Athlon had Minnesota 2nd in the Big 10. Lindy's had them 3rd. Street & Smith had them 4th. All had them in the Top 25. IMO, that is somewhat of a consensus. You might want to check the Big 10 standings. (Hint: Minnesota is tied for last.)
And again, I bet many Minny fans are really ticked off about how this year played out for them. I bet many are saying that Richard Pitino did not do a good job this year.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:21 PM

Haha, seriously? Did you actually read the entire article?
Yeah, I read the article. Did it ever occur to you that maybe the reason why some of these players did not perform as well as expected this year is because maybe Grant did a poor job of coaching them up?

Last edited by ud2; 02-20-2018 at 12:28 PM..
Old 02-20-2018, 12:32 PM
Major General

Yeah, I read the article. Did it ever occur to you that maybe the reason why some of these players did not perform well this year is because maybe Grant did a poor job of coaching them up?
If the entire team was in a complete state of disarray, not contributing, AG making lineup changes every single game trying to find anyone that might play, i might agree with you. But AG can't "do a poor job of coaching them up" selectively. I think for some of the team they didn't buy into their new role or expectations. There are other factors here at well - they have been discussed in depth so I won't rehash (mostly injuries).

If AG did do a poor job of coaching some, apparently he did a very good job with others, you know, the ones that start and the few that come off the bench. 3 of the 5 projected starters listed in the article you referenced indicated that XW would be the leading scorer, much was expected of KA and John C. For whatever reason, those things didn't happen.

Now you are relying on freshmen and a rarely played sophomore. We'll likely see the benefits of that experience next year but until this season plays out, I haven't quite yet given up hope. Anything can happen in the next 3 weeks.

Last edited by longtimefan67; 02-20-2018 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: add text
Old 02-20-2018, 12:34 PM

Yeah, I read the article. Did it ever occur to you that maybe the reason why some of these players did not perform as well as expected this year is because maybe Grant did a poor job of coaching them up?
That's probably true. Grant did a great job of coaching up Davis, Davis, Landers, Crutcher, and Cunningham, but he did a lousy job of coaching up Kostas, X, Crosby, Svoboda, and Pierce. Good argument.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
Perhaps you should go back to the 15-15 schedule
You invited a 15/15 response from me.

Why have Xavier, Butler, VCU, and Gonzaga all played a 15/15 schedule at least some of the time through the years? Xavier, in particular, does this practically every single year.

An additional nice 1 or 2 wins over 2 good p5 teams might be worth a 5 or 10 or 15 spot improvement in the rpi rankings.

So, for Archie's last 2 years, instead of having to play tough 10 seeds like Syracuse and Wichita State, we might instead get a 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 seed and play a weaker 14 or 13 or 12 or 11 seed, and thereby have a better chance of advancing past the round of 64.

It is hard to say that UD really cares about building a championship program/pursuing excellence/doing everything that they can do/being all that they can be, when they seem to place making money above all else.

If UD was really serious about excelling, then why have they never played a 15/15 schedule, when all of our peers, that we are trying to emulate, have done it several times, and continue to do it to this very day?

Last edited by ud2; 02-20-2018 at 12:41 PM..
Old 02-20-2018, 12:38 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Is DD playing better than last year?
Is josh C playing better than last year?
Is Trey playing better than last year?
Have Crutcher and J Davis improved this year?

Has John Crosby's trajectory from FR-SO-JR changed dramatically downward?

I can almost see your point with XW but we also don't know how his injury impacted his "coaching up".

You can't coach up an almost 7 ft kid who walks off the practice floor.

Matej and Kostas? Not enough data points to know yet

My point is you keep reaching for new narratives when confronted with the disconnect between your unrealistic pre season expectations and reality.

I hope you don't pull a muscle when you keep reaching for new talking points...
Old 02-20-2018, 12:44 PM

Why have Xavier, Butler, VCU, and Gonzaga all played a 15/15 schedule at least some of the time through the years? Xavier, in particular, does this practically every single year.

An additional nice 1 or 2 wins over 2 good p5 teams might be worth a 5 or 10 or 15 spot improvement in the rpi rankings.

So, for Archie's last 2 years, instead of having to play tough 10 seeds like Syracuse and Wichita State, we might instead get a 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 seed and play a weaker 14 or 13 or 12 or 11 seed, and thereby have a better chance of advancing past the round of 64.

It is hard to say that UD really cares about building a championship program/pursuing excellence/doing everything that they can do/being all that they can be, when they seem to place making money above all else.

If UD was really serious about excelling, then why have they never played a 15/15 schedule, when all of our peers, that we are trying to emulate, have done it several times, and continue to do it to this very day?
Wow, I've never heard any of those arguments before.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:45 PM
Major General

You will get no argument here from me. UofD has wh0re'd the arena for years at the expense schedule difficulty (or lack thereof). I'd love to see Dayton take on Duke or NC or Kentucky, etc..on the road, before A10 play. It won't ever happen...Seem like OP did do it once with Duke, another time with UK at a neutral site...but we ALWAYS GET 17-18 games at home...

Last edited by longtimefan67; 02-20-2018 at 12:51 PM..
Old 02-20-2018, 12:47 PM
General

To be fair Josh was hurt last year so by being healthy he'd almost have to be better

DD is getting more minutes and shots. Landers was hurt, improved his body and had more of an opportunity this year.

Crosby's trajectory changed from the Ball State game to now downward

Crutch and Davis has improved over the course of the season.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:02 PM

we ALWAYS GET 17-18 games at home...
Actually, three of the last four years we have played 16 home games and 14 road/neutral.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:10 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Actually, three of the last four years we have played 16 home games and 14 road/neutral.
Yep, and given the economics of the situation, I can't imagine we could go any less than 16.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by SLUFLYER View Post
Yep, and given the economics of the situation, I can't imagine we could go any less than 16.
Yet, Gonzaga, Butler, Xavier, Temple, VCU, etc. have routinely pulled it off through the years.

This is doable. It would require a 6.25%(1/16)increase in ticket/parking/seat license/etc. prices. I think most people would not balk at that sort of one-time cost increase, if the reasoning was spelled out for them.

UD could maybe even just phase in the cost increase over multiple years: a 2% increase for each of 3 years, a 3% increase for each of 2 years, etc.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:19 PM

Thanked 2,377 Times in 809 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
Yet, Gonzaga, Butler, Xavier, Temple, VCU, etc. have routinely pulled it off through the years.

This is doable. It would require a 6.25%(1/16)increase in ticket/parking/seat license/etc. prices. I think most people would not balk at that sort of one-time cost increase, if the reasoning was spelled out for them.

UD could maybe even just phase in the cost increase over multiple years: a 2% increase for each of 3 years, a 3% increase for each of 2 years, etc.
Look, you’re entitled to your opinion on this issue, and you’ve expressed it COUNTLESS times. But could you at least do us the favor of changing your screen name to Deja Vu?
Old 02-21-2018, 01:20 PM

Now you are relying on freshmen and a rarely played sophomore. We'll likely see the benefits of that experience next year but until this season plays out, I haven't quite yet given up hope. Anything can happen in the next 3 weeks.
Right, but other teams have relied on freshmen and sophomores before and done well.

Butler and Xavier get significant contributions from underclassmen on a regular basis.

Heck, Xavier went to the Elite 8 under Matta with 2 freshmen in the starting lineup, Doellman and Cage.

Last edited by ud2; 02-21-2018 at 01:26 PM..
Old 02-21-2018, 01:26 PM

That's easy for you to say since you are not a season ticket holder and rarely go to a game.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:27 PM

And what about the Elite 8 year under Archie? We had 2 sophomores in the starting lineup: Pierre and Price.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:28 PM
General

The other options could be to pay less for buy games. I like the current strategy of getting good teams in here but with the quadrant system the NCAA is putting a premium on high quality wins vs RPI.

Monetize something new in the arena or game day experience.

Keep more of the money that basketball generates in the program.

Cut resources to other sports

This said I'm not too worried about an extra road/neutral game. I'd like it but nothing I'm going to loose sleep over
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-21-2018), springborofan (02-22-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 01:46 PM

I am just very concerned. I have been very intently following UD for several years now, more intently that I have in the past.

And I just get this overwhelming sense that UD is not interested in trying to be a championship program on a regular basis. I mean, I look at Butler, VCU, Xavier, Gonzaga, Temple, etc., and I seem to see those programs fighting and scraping for every last little crumb.

I mean, if there is a crumb of food left on the floor, then they will absolutely fight you for the small little crumb of food.

I do not see that same sense of hunger coming from UD. UD seems very content to just sit back and let the world pass them by. UD just seems content to be a nice, little mid-major program, with a great, rabid fanbase, and just be satisfied and content with the way that things have been since Donoher was fired.

It is not bumbling incompetence coming from UD's administration, it is just that I think that UD's administration just does not really care and is just not really serious. They just don't give a sh*t.

I mean if Butler, VCU, Xavier, Gonzaga, Temple, etc., were right now going through the type of season that we are going through, then they would absolutely be pulling their hair out right now trying to fix the thing. And the head coach's rear end would be on fire right now. But, we just seem content to accept it and let it be.

Last edited by ud2; 02-21-2018 at 01:50 PM..
Old 02-21-2018, 01:54 PM
Captain

AZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud of
Is Mike Rhoades ass on fire at VCU?? They would be stupid to fire him.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:03 PM
General

Thanked 1,266 Times in 784 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
not sure where this thread has gone the last 10 to 15 postings. Seems more like and A10 or Big East thread. Anyway, back to AG.

So as we complete the season, and with nice wins against SLU (we were losing), DUkes, VCU --- it is definitely LESS of an AG coaching issue. Than Buy-in by the team and the quality and depth of our player and our bench.

Bench has been the BIGGER issue. Seasoning and maturity of our other guys - JD, " Clutch Crutch" (i'm patenting caps this week!), KA, TRey has moved along well - and perhaps better than expected.

I think he'll having them play Defnese next year, and I truly hope we can play 8 or 9 deep. With Topping and Matos being 2 of those guys contributing some decent, quality minutes.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by OCFlyer85 View Post
IINM, I think somebody posted on here a little while ago, that the VCU board is all over Rhoades right now. I will see if I can find the post.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by OCFlyer85 View Post
I could not find the post on this board that I was talking about.

Yeah, the thread at the very top of the their board right now is a 54 page thread with 808 replies about whether hc Mike Rhoades is the right man for the job.

https://www.vcuramnation.com/forums/...-legacy.17381/

https://www.vcuramnation.com/forums/...-basketball.4/
Old 02-21-2018, 02:33 PM

Thanked 17,094 Times in 5,099 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Heck, Xavier went to the Elite 8 under Matta with 2 freshmen in the starting lineup, Doellman and Cage.
They were surrounded by Romaine Sato, Lionel Chalmers, Anthony Myles, Brandon Cole, Will Caudle, and Keith Jackson.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
IAFlyer (02-22-2018), ruechalgrin (02-21-2018), SeasonTicketFan (02-21-2018), The Fly (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 03:33 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,367 Times in 537 Posts
MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
And again, I bet many Minny fans are really ticked off about how this year played out for them. I bet many are saying that Richard Pitino did not do a good job this year.
They are more angry with Reggie Lynch. Also the injury to Coffey. Team was 13-3 with them and 1-12 since then (Coffey has only played 2 of those games)

The talk is more about the difficult circumstances the team was put in and "what could have been". Sounds familiar.

Last edited by MNFats; 02-21-2018 at 03:38 PM..
Old 02-21-2018, 03:44 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Look at Duquesne, some felt he would have been the better hire. They got off to a early wining record and caught people's eye. Right now they are on a downward spiral. Those early wins were against easier teams which didn't prepare them for A10 play.

On the other hand AG early schedule netted a good sos and has toughened the team for the stretch run. If we just had a couple bench players contributing our starters could get a blow now and then.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:57 PM
General

Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
Look at Duquesne, some felt he would have been the better hire. They got off to a early wining record and caught people's eye. Right now they are on a downward spiral. Those early wins were against easier teams which didn't prepare them for A10 play.

On the other hand AG early schedule netted a good sos and has toughened the team for the stretch run. If we just had a couple bench players contributing our starters could get a blow now and then.
To be fair Dambrot has the last place team in the A10 preseason poll, no depth (5 guys sitting out as transfers) and not much on the roster returning. He's exceeded expectations with what he inherited
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (02-23-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 04:51 PM
General of the Air Force

To be fair Dambrot has the last place team in the A10 preseason poll, no depth (5 guys sitting out as transfers) and not much on the roster returning. He's exceeded expectations with what he inherited
they beat us once and gave URI all it could handle. Tie game and URI hit a shot at the buzzer to win. Duq up most of the game.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 05:47 PM
General

Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
They were surrounded by Romaine Sato, Lionel Chalmers, Anthony Myles, Brandon Cole, Will Caudle, and Keith Jackson.

Cole, Caulde and Jackson weren't much to write home about.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:14 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,262 Times in 666 Posts
FlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond repute

So all Dambrot has to do is not finish last (that is, finish above Fordham) in a weak A-10 and that’s considered success? By the way, Duquesne has dropped 7 of 8, including a 23 point drubbing at home...to Fordham. The Dukes are one game out of 12th place and two games out of last place, and they still have to play Davidson, SLU, and UMass. Duquesne is # 230 in the RPI.

Regarding depth, their roster this season is obviously not stellar, but they have at least 8 guys who play significant minutes in nearly every game—including 3 seniors and 1 junior.

Dambrot is a big improvement over Ferry, but let’s not name him Coach of the Year just yet. The tooth fairy would be an improvement over Ferry...
Mad Props to FlyerGuyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (02-22-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 09:17 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,262 Times in 666 Posts
FlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
they beat us once and gave URI all it could handle. Tie game and URI hit a shot at the buzzer to win. Duq up most of the game.

LaSalle took Rhode Island to overtime last night and lost by two points. LaSalle has a good chance of beating Dayton at Tom Gola High School Gym. Give Giannini Coach of the Year...
Old 02-22-2018, 11:14 AM
Brigadier General

SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyerGuyer View Post
LaSalle took Rhode Island to overtime last night and lost by two points. LaSalle has a good chance of beating Dayton at Tom Gola High School Gym. Give Giannini Coach of the Year...
Since Coach of the Year was brought up, I will add my $.02

As much as I can't stand him, Hurley deserves it. If they finish 17-1, it's not even a contest.

But if you're looking for a guy who has done more with less this year, Travis Ford would deserve serious consideration.

Last edited by SLUFLYER; 02-22-2018 at 11:54 AM..
Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (02-23-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 11:20 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,314 Times in 1,327 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
As much as I can't stand him, Hurley deserves it. If they finish 15-1, it's not even a contest.
Agreed on both accounts...can't stand him but they are far and away the class of the league this year.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:27 AM
General of the Air Force

Since Coach of the Year was brought up, I will add my $.02

As much as I can't stand him, Hurley deserves it. If they finish 15-1, it's not even a contest.

But if you're looking for a guy who has done more with less this year, Travis Ford would deserve serious consideration.
Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
Agreed on both accounts...can't stand him but they are far and away the class of the league this year.
Don't disagree either but also who else would get it? Schmidt? Mckillop?
Old 02-22-2018, 11:29 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,314 Times in 1,327 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
Don't disagree either but also who else would get it? Schmidt? Mckillop?
I would say its between those three.
Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 11:54 AM
General

Originally Posted by FlyerGuyer View Post
So all Dambrot has to do is not finish last (that is, finish above Fordham) in a weak A-10 and that’s considered success? By the way, Duquesne has dropped 7 of 8, including a 23 point drubbing at home...to Fordham. The Dukes are one game out of 12th place and two games out of last place, and they still have to play Davidson, SLU, and UMass. Duquesne is # 230 in the RPI.

Regarding depth, their roster this season is obviously not stellar, but they have at least 8 guys who play significant minutes in nearly every game—including 3 seniors and 1 junior.

Dambrot is a big improvement over Ferry, but let’s not name him Coach of the Year just yet. The tooth fairy would be an improvement over Ferry...
Yeah, Duquesne isn't good but considering where they started it's good. They were 3-15 in conference last year. They have a shot a .500 or above record this year

They're currently one game ahead of Dayton in the standings
Old 02-22-2018, 11:58 AM
Brigadier General

They're currently one game ahead of Dayton in the standings
I think you meant they're currently one game behind Dayton in the standings.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:00 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,569 Times in 939 Posts
IAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Expectations

Back to expectations:

First Four out = NIT

So, we were an NIT expectation before any of the injuries and player issues. Factor in those and we fall into the .500 to maybe NIT category. Watching the players for a few weeks and you should have known that it was going to take time for them to gel/understand the new system.

We are seeing positive signs from Landers and Crutcher (essentially both freshman with lack of minutes last year from Landers). Is that all them or have they been "coached up"?
Old 02-22-2018, 12:02 PM
General

I think you meant they're currently one game behind Dayton in the standings.
yes, my slip up
Old 02-22-2018, 12:05 PM
Brigadier General

I will post this here, since it's an AG thread.

With 3 games left in the season, Dayton is poised for a ~.500 finish, in both conference play and overall and a ~115 RPI. All things considered, I would say that's about where most logical people would have set reasonable expectations, with actual results probably on the lower end of expectations by a couple of games and maybe 15-20 RPI spots.

Having read some of the threads and posts, you would have thought we started the season in the Top 25 and are about to finish with a losing record.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:30 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Wasn't sure where to post this but since every other thread goes sideways this is as good a place as any:

I'm one who typically arrives early/stays late for home games. By late I mean...until the game is over. The pre-game routine for the Flyers, at least from the time the doors open to the public (1 hr prior) to tip is: A) shoot-around, players and managers only, B) more structured drills with managers, bigs stretched while others were shooting and vice versa with minimal asst coach oversight (therefore, a dunk line would break out, trick shots, dance moves, etc), and C) pre game layup line before player intros.

Beginning with the Fordham game (2/17), "B" above changed. This is after the Mason debacle if you recall. Prior to both Fordham and now SLU, asst coaches were leading the drills. They became more structured and, as a result, more focused. Every second was scripted and more attention to detail.

Clearly AG is sending a message. I have no idea why it took this long. Usually the captain(s) and/or senior should be leading all of the above. Therefore the change could be also be an indicator of the (lack of) respect given to JC and DD. Given what we've seen so far, I expect Trey to be at the forefront for team captaincy next season.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
IAFlyer (02-22-2018), jack72 (02-22-2018), MNFats (02-22-2018), rollo (02-22-2018), ruechalgrin (02-22-2018), TXFlyerFan (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 12:54 PM
Major General

If Trey isn’t captain next year I’d be really surprised because he is acting in that capacity now.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
IAFlyer (02-22-2018), ruechalgrin (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 12:56 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,367 Times in 537 Posts
MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sluflyer View Post
all things considered, i would say that's about where most logical people would have set reasonable expectations,
How dare you bring logic and reasoning to this message board!!!!!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to MNFats For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (02-22-2018), longtimefan (02-22-2018), SLUFLYER (02-22-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 07:14 AM

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
One thing's for sure about My Flyers under Anthony Grant: The inmates are not running the asylum.

XW...sit down!

Pierce...Don't let the door hit ya...

Crosby...it's been nice, now take your consolation prize...

Any player stupid enough to cross AG now deserves exactly what they get.

Finally.

All Hail Anthony Grant! That includes you, ud2!

Last edited by rollo; 02-26-2018 at 07:16 AM..
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-27-2018), jack72 (02-26-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (02-27-2018), longtimefan67 (02-27-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 08:50 AM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
King Rollo has spoken...and his words are fraught with wisdom!
Mad Props to TommyGola For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (02-26-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 08:53 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
One thing's for sure about My Flyers under Anthony Grant: The inmates are not running the asylum.

XW...sit down!

Pierce...Don't let the door hit ya...

Crosby...it's been nice, now take your consolation prize...

Any player stupid enough to cross AG now deserves exactly what they get.

Finally.

All Hail Anthony Grant! That includes you, ud2!
During AG's show from Frickers last night, Larry asked one of his boiler plate questions about practicing at this time of year. His question (paraphrasing): "at this point in the season, do the players understand that practice is a chance to prove yourself vs practicing just to prepare for the next game?" AG's response (again paraphrasing): "We're working on it." AG added more after that but I interpreted his response to mean that total buy-in hasn't happened and it's reflected in playing time.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-27-2018), rollo (02-27-2018), Runnin' Rebel (02-27-2018), TXFlyerFan (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 09:11 AM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
AG also voiced support for Svoboda saying that he's working hard and his biggest adjustment is with the speed of the college game compared to his European experiences. So, obviously, he has a future as a Flyer. The others - unmentioned by AG - in question...
OSU Flyer (02-27-2018), TXFlyerFan (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 09:44 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Me? I had no firm expectations for this season. I truly did not know what to think (you can ask my wife ) .

Too many variables and unknowns. Last time I faced a situation like that I was performing linear programming

Maximize Wins:
z
1 -S1 -S2 0 0 0 x1 0 x1
0 1 1 1 0 0 x2 = L , x2 ≥ 0
0 F1 F2 0 1 0 x3 F x3
0 P1 P2 0 0 1 x4 P x4
Old 02-27-2018, 09:46 AM

Is that a program or XW's latest stats?
Flyer 86 (02-27-2018), NJFlyr71 (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 09:55 AM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
If Trey isn’t captain next year I’d be really surprised because he is acting in that capacity now.
Posted via Mobile Device
IMO we will see co-captains next season. Trey is a natural leader and deserving of the title. But Josh as a Senior, arguably our best player, and the sitting Captain, will not be dethroned.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-27-2018), IAFlyer (02-27-2018), OSU Flyer (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 12:41 PM
Colonel

Furio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
AG also voiced support for Svoboda saying that he's working hard and his biggest adjustment is with the speed of the college game compared to his European experiences. So, obviously, he has a future as a Flyer. The others - unmentioned by AG - in question...
After almost a full season and he still hasn't adjusted to the speed of the game concerns me. We need players who not only practice but have talent and skills to not be overwhelmed in games.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Furio View Post
After almost a full season and he still hasn't adjusted to the speed of the game concerns me. We need players who not only practice but have talent and skills to not be overwhelmed in games.
I should have said he has a 'future as a role player'.
Furio (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 01:40 PM
General

Even the good Euros Gonzaga bring over have an adjustment period.

That reverse layup he had was indicative of a guy with skill
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (02-27-2018), Flyer 86 (02-27-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (02-27-2018), TommyGola (02-27-2018), TXFlyerFan (02-27-2018)