User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 02-19-2016, 02:28 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,011 Posts
xubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Those are a lot of words to say: CRAP SHOOT!
Pretty much.
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2016, 02:39 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
Pretty much.
Was not expecting that response from you xubrew. I thought you would be defending the committee. I have now lost all hope that things will be on the up and up.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:54 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
NCAA Economics 101

In the NCAA College Football Programs drive the cash wagon. All financial decisions are biased in favor of the institutions within the NCAA that play major scholarship football. Don't spend a lot of time looking for a scientific rationale for the selection of teams who get a lottery ticket to win a lot of money in the NCAA men's basketball tournament. Football will decide all ties.
Mad Props to Alberto Strasse For This Totally Excellent Post:
Phi Psi Flyer '09 (02-19-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 03:17 PM
Major General

xubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
Was not expecting that response from you xubrew. I thought you would be defending the committee. I have now lost all hope that things will be on the up and up.
Is agreeing that it's a crapshoot not defending them??

It is a crapshoot. It's a committee made up of conference commissioners and athletic directors who are all individual people with individual ideas on how assess the teams. I disagree with a lot of the narratives about how they play political favorites. They don't work for CBS. They don't work for the NCAA either. If they'll take La Salle and leave out Kentucky, and do so in a year where someone from the SEC was on the committee, then I have a hard time questioning their honesty. The power programs accuse them of playing favorites because they want to see the Cinderella upsets. The non-powers think they play favorites because they want to push the big name schools.

Since both sides think they're being screwed, I think they're kind of hitting the sweet spot.

But, it is a crapshoot. All committees are regardless of what their purpose is. A hiring committee is a crapshoot. A rules committee is a crapshoot. A party planning committee is a crapshoot. This is no different.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:28 PM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think it makes a difference to CBS but it makes a difference to many coaches and ADs and schools. There is a lot of money and jobs at play here. I think there is politicking and more involved. UCLA's inclusion last year was ridiculous. Will not surprise me at all if it comes out that someone is on the take.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
TerryK_67 (02-19-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 03:50 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
The power programs accuse them of playing favorites because they want to see the Cinderella upsets.
If they actually feel that way they are idiots. UCLA and Indiana last season, I rest my case. Making Top 50 wins so important favors power schools and the committee knows it. Mid majors don't have the opportunity to play nearly as many top 50 schools, particularly at home. What is better, 4-12 of a power school, half of which were at home, or 2-2 of a mid major, all of which were road neutral. 4-12 of course.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:27 PM
Major General

I'm not saying I agree with all the picks, or that I never think they make bad picks. UCLA was a bad pick. But, who on the committee benefited from it?? The majority of them weren't from major conferences. What did the Conference USA commissioner, the Northeastern AD, the UNC Asheville AD and the Creighton AD get out of putting UCLA in?? All but two of them had to agree with it.

Sports fans, coaches, and players are naturally narcissistic. They're going to think they're teams are better than anyone else who isn't a fan, player, or coach, and when someone doesn't think the team is as good as they do, they assume that person is either an idiot or corrupt. Maybe a big part of why everyone is ****ed off and calling foul is because they're just naturally biased toward their own teams.

Oklahoma thinks the committee is corrupt because they had to go to Columbus, and the committee wanted to see Dayton in the upset.

Kansas thinks the committee is corrupt because they intentionally engineered the game against Wichita State and it wasn't fair that they had to play an in state team.

Rick Pitino is still my all time favorite. The committee had it out for Louisville when they paired them against Manhattan because his former assistant was the coach of the team.

Everyone thinks the committee is out to screw them so they can help the other guy. Everyone. It's amazing, really. Yet, I guess it does make sense. If no one is happy, then it must have been fair.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to xubrew For This Totally Excellent Post:
DaytonInsider (02-19-2016), rollo (02-20-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 04:39 PM
General of the Air Force

What did the FIlFA selection committee members get out of putting the World Cup in Qtar?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2016, 06:05 PM
Major General

Which ones??

The make up of the FIFA Exexutive Committee is a little different. As are the geopolitical influences. As is the selection procedure.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2016, 07:55 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,230 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Bracketology: Teams won't get much sympathy for injuries, suspensions By Jerry Palm

The NCAA selection committee has always said such things are "taken into consideration" during their proceedings, but the reality is that in only one circumstance would you ever notice such consideration. That circumstance is a season-ending injury to a key player -- and that consideration always works against a team.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaab/eye-...es-suspensions

Last edited by NCkevi; 02-19-2016 at 07:57 PM..
Old 02-20-2016, 11:50 AM

Thanked 6,172 Times in 4,202 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Did not see this posted, darn, DC dropped us to #20, a 5 seed , after the SJU loss.

SBU has dropped quite a bit, Ohio State seems to be creeping up the rankings. GW still in.

http://www.unf.edu/~jcoleman/dance.htm

Last edited by ud2; 02-20-2016 at 11:53 AM..
Old 02-20-2016, 02:54 PM

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
Dayton now a 6 seed with bracketolgists is my guess. Bracket Matrix will move over the next week.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:56 PM

ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
CBS saying now #7 seed ....

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...ed-is-slipping

I actually think 6/7 now ... St. Louis must win.

Last edited by ruechalgrin; 02-20-2016 at 03:00 PM..
Old 02-20-2016, 08:53 PM
General

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,551 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ruechalgrin View Post
CBS saying now #7 seed ....

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...ed-is-slipping

I actually think 6/7 now ... St. Louis must win.
That is predicated on winning out or at least winning two games. The way we have been exposed, any team with shooting or penetrating guards will make toast of our defense.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:30 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,230 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
I think if we lose more than 2 games before the NCAA tournament we will likely play in a dreaded 8/9 game
Old 02-20-2016, 09:44 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NCkevi View Post
I think if we lose more than 2 games before the NCAA tournament we will likely play in a dreaded 8/9 game
Every game on the schedule would be considered a bad loss. A loss at Richmond will just make us look average. A loss at SL will kill us. A loss at home to RI will be as bad as today and a loss at home against VCU would perhaps be our best possible loss but VCU isn't ranked so again, bad.

To assume that because we looked like such a lock a week ago means that we just do normal slides from a 4 seed to a 6 seed to an 8 or 9 seed with losses is just fooling yourself IMO.

I predict if we have 2 losses before the end of the season, our at large opportunity will be gone unless KP comes back for the conference tourney and makes us look as good as we did before he was out. The committee might throw us love under those circumstances.

21-3 is phenomenal, 21-5 is very good, 23-7 is a far cry from 21-3. Don't be fooled by all our great press leading into the week. We're not a lock yet.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:05 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,629 Times in 765 Posts
CoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond repute
From the USA Today Bracketologist:
http://www.bracketwag.com/

"As I sit here 3 weeks from Selection Sunday, there are still many teams résumé's that are tough to judge. Here's my WAG for today's bracket. Saint Bonaventure got a nice win at Dayton and are closer to being in now. Duke's lack of depth caught up with them in a testy loss at Louisville. Xavier stays on the 1 line with a nice win at Georgetown. Oklahoma's win at West Virginia almost moved them up, and I expect it to happen soon, but not yet. South Carolina topped Florida in OT in a game between middling SEC teams. North Carolina recovered nicely with a serious beat down of Miami. Baylor went to Austin and topped Texas. Pittsburgh needed a good win and got one on the road at Syracuse, who has dropped to a double digit seed. Saint Joe's was handed their first road loss at Davidson, no damage there. Alabama, who was one of the hottest teams out there, took a bad loss at home to Mississippi State, who are playing well themselves. The loss hurt, but Alabama's overall profile is still solid. Butler needed a resume building win but couldn't hang on at AP #1 Villanova. Cincinnati moves back in with a nice win over Connecticut. LSU, Clemson and Florida State all took damaging losses and probably need to win their conference tournament to get in. Not ruling them out completely yet, but they are close. Kansas held off Kansas State to remain the overall #1 in my bracket. Texas A&M won a thriller in OT on a buzzer beater against Kentucky, who I still can't figure out. Notre Dame lost on a late basket at Georgia Tech. Indiana held off Purdue's furious comeback to get the home win. Saint Mary's won at Gonzaga and moves in as the AQ for the WCC. Gonzaga is out now and their at-large hopes have diminished. UCLA almost moves in with a whooping of Colorado."

And has at a 6 seed.

Does our recent play concern me? Yes.
Do I think we go to a complete collapse that allows the committee to shut us out? No.
Am I concerned about seeding and not getting into the dance? Yes.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CoffeeCan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (02-21-2016), ruechalgrin (02-21-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 09:26 AM

Thanked 10,503 Times in 4,705 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Our metrics will support a good seed.

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
We are one of the very few teams that have not hit a rough patch where we lost 3/4 games in a 6 game stretch. I hope we don't go there. But if we were a stock, a whole lot of investors would be shorting us just playing the probabilities.
Just re-emphasizing what almost everyone knows, and this last week just reinforces it. We are among the dozens of good teams that are hitting a rough spot in the season. Might be for a myriad of different reasons but the above result is much the same. We will survive it.
We are not the only team by far that has burped with the bullseye on our back.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (02-22-2016), ud2 (02-22-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 09:34 AM
Captain

UDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant future
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask.../iteration/237

A 5 seed in Lunardi's bracket this morning. Still in great shape if we can finish 3-1 the rest of the way and get Pollard back.

SJU and VCU both 9 seeds. Still not a lot of love for GW, had SBU not lost to LaSalle they would be probably be in as well.
Mad Props to UDFlyer23 For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (02-22-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 10:28 AM
General of the Air Force

I don't think the (Flyer) world is coming to and end but our resume of 4-3 against the top 50 includes wins against Monmouth 46- and Alabama -48. If those 2 go above 50, we go to 2-3 against the top 50. Not as impressive. GW is 52 so that could go the other way and we have a game against VCU. Again, not the end of the world and we are still good when compared to bubble teams but there is still work to do.
IAFlyer (02-22-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 03:30 PM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
DC update...up to #18, we were #20 in the previous update...still a 5 seed...SBU and SJU also in.

AAC with 3...Cincinnati, UConn, Tulsa

Last edited by ud2; 02-22-2016 at 06:45 PM..
Old 02-22-2016, 06:42 PM
Captain

KYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Bracketmatrix has us a #3 5, SJ an #1 8, VCU an #2 11 and SB and GW first four out. Here's to UD, SB and GW winning out until either meets us in the A10 tournament and getting 5 teams in!!!

VCU might need to go farther in the tournament than GW or SB if this happens to get in.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:54 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Down to the #1 6 seed this morning. Typically, that site gets it within a seed line if not right on, so hopefully we're in line for no worse than a 7, but I could see us slipping to an 8/9 with either another loss or a poor A10 tournament showing. Or if they rely heavily on advanced metrics, where we're closer to 30th in many ratings.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:45 AM
Captain

UDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant future
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bubblewatch

Do you dare doubt the power of the "Bubble Watch Lock Curse"? Dayton's post-lock road loss at Saint Joseph's last week was not enough to sway you? Take heed, skeptics, for on Saturday the once-mighty Flyers, beset by the curse's dark energies, lost at UD Arena 79-72 to St. Bonaventure! All will bow before the mighty power of the Curse! (Note to Dayton fans: Those aren't bad losses, but even if they were, UD is getting in. Don't freak out.)

I will only begin to freak out if we lose tonight.
San Diego Flyer (02-23-2016)
Old 02-23-2016, 09:55 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by UDFlyer23 View Post

Do you dare doubt the power of the "Bubble Watch Lock Curse"? Dayton's post-lock road loss at Saint Joseph's last week was not enough to sway you? Take heed, skeptics, for on Saturday the once-mighty Flyers, beset by the curse's dark energies, lost at UD Arena 79-72 to St. Bonaventure! All will bow before the mighty power of the Curse! (Note to Dayton fans: Those aren't bad losses, but even if they were, UD is getting in. Don't freak out.)

I will only begin to freak out if we lose tonight.
We lose tonight and there will be a whole lot of freakin going on - and not the good kind.
ruechalgrin (02-24-2016)
Old 02-23-2016, 10:26 AM
General

Thanked 4,539 Times in 2,056 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
We lose tonight and there will be a whole lot of freakin going on - and not the good kind.

You wouldn't want to be anywhere near UD Pride, that's for sure . . .

5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Glen Clark For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (02-23-2016), Figgie123 (02-23-2016), IndianaFlyer (02-23-2016), ruechalgrin (02-24-2016), ud2 (02-24-2016)
Old 02-23-2016, 11:08 PM
Captain

1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold
Vandy moves to Lunardi's last team in with a road win at Florida. Watch SC top ten tonight for Vandy's 80-footer at the halftime buzzer--has to be the top play of the night
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to 1903 Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (02-23-2016), ruechalgrin (02-24-2016)
Old 02-23-2016, 11:10 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 1903 Flyer View Post
Vandy moves to Lunardi's last team in with a road win at Florida. Watch SC top ten tonight for Vandy's 80-footer at the halftime buzzer--has to be the top play of the night
Give me a compilation Top play of the night............Kyle Davis going Tony Stanley with 3 3's
Old 02-23-2016, 11:53 PM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 1903 Flyer View Post
Probably play of year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2016, 01:48 PM
Major General

priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Metrics watch:

As of this morning, here are UD's rankings in the six rating systems mentioned earlier that are used by the committee:

RPI: 17
Kenpom: 50
Sagarin: 42
LMRC: 24
KPI: 18
BPI: 42

Mean is 32
Median is 33

We're trending towards an 8/9 seed, sadly.
Old 02-24-2016, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by priceg75 View Post
Metrics watch:

As of this morning, here are UD's rankings in the six rating systems mentioned earlier that are used by the committee:

RPI: 17
Kenpom: 50
Sagarin: 42
LMRC: 24
KPI: 18
BPI: 42

Mean is 32
Median is 33

We're trending towards an 8/9 seed, sadly.
Sorry, this is not accurate. The committee looks at all these factors but does not equally weight them.

Dayton right now is a 5-7 seed.

Committee looks at probably in order of priority:
(1) top 25/50 wins
(2) top 25/5o record
(3) road/neutral wins/record and versus top 25/50
(4) points 1-3 above but for top 100 teams.
(5) SOS and OOC SOS (which redundant part of RPI, but yep they look at it)
(6) bad losses which are for 101+ or 150+ depending on who you ask
THESE 6 FACTORS ARE ALL BASED UPON RPI.
(7) Then look at other metrics like kenpom, KPI, Sagarin, LMRC (non-scoring margin based), BPI, etc.
(8) eye-test and scouting reports from committee members assigned to conferences

This was a 2 minute brain-dump, but pretty close to accurate. From people who have done mock selections, Lunardi who I took a bracketology class with, etc., etc.

RPI frames everything because that is how the committee looks at top 25/50/100 wins/losses, etc and because that is how the data is presented visually to them.

Dayton is a solid 5-7 right now. But depends on how Dayton finishes and how others finish as we don't have many opportunities for good wins, but plenty of opportunities for bad losses whereas many P5 schools that are presently 7-11 seeds have many opportunities for good wins and few opportunities for bad losses.

THERE ARE NOT 25 RESUMES BETTER THAN DAYTON'S RIGHT NOW.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
1903 Flyer (02-24-2016), jerseyflyer09 (02-25-2016), longtimefan (02-24-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 04:04 PM
Major General

There's a reason I said "trending". Bracket Matrix has us as a 6. Considering the bias we've seen towards our own resume in the past, I think a 7 is more likely. Another loss, which seems more likely than not the way we are playing, and it's quickly an 8/9.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:09 PM
Major

momszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud of
What's everyone worried about. Lunardi still has us as a 5 seed. That's all the committee cares about per ESPN. :-)
Old 02-24-2016, 05:25 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,743 Times in 798 Posts
UDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond repute
Two important factors to note:

1. IMO our resume last year shudda made us shoe-in for the tourney and the committee put us in the play-in game. So much for metrics.

2. We still have 3 more games to go this year with 0-3, 1-2, 2-1,3-0 all very distinct possible outcomes.

Go 3-0, win the A-10 tourney and let's see what happens.
Mad Props to UDBaby For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (02-26-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 12:42 PM

Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
Tony T 71 (02-26-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 01:10 PM
1st Lieutenant

troublebrewin will become famous soon enoughtroublebrewin will become famous soon enough
Not a bad second round matchup if Dance Card held. Duke, Kentucky, Maryland, Texas
Old 02-25-2016, 01:28 PM
1st Lieutenant

jerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to behold
I don't know...Kentucky scares me more than almost anyone right now.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:46 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by jerseyflyer09 View Post
I don't know...Kentucky scares me more than almost anyone right now.
If I could be guaranteed a 2nd round game, I'd take anyone they throw at us.
jack72 (02-25-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 02:52 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDBaby View Post
Two important factors to note:

2. We still have 3 more games to go this year with 0-3, 1-2, 2-1,3-0 all very distinct possible outcomes.
"I was told there would be no math", but aren't those the ONLY possibilities?
Old 02-25-2016, 03:02 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,589 Times in 3,714 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting- 4 A-10 teams, and VCU is NOT one of them
Old 02-25-2016, 03:35 PM

Thanked 10,503 Times in 4,705 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
VCU is right in the zone where a p5 team would get a pass, but an A10 team wouldn't.

63 RPI, 100+ SOS. , 1-1 top 25, 2-3 top 50.

Our game with them on March 5th could be a make or break for them. Which really shows how fast your stock can drop. Scary.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:43 PM
General of the Air Force

VCU's game this Saturday is at GW. A win may put them back on the bubble.

It could also take GW off it.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:56 PM
Colonel

NorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Lunardi produced an update to his bracket.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask.../iteration/240

Dayton dropped to a 6 seed (rightly so), but he has VCU still in with GW and St. Bonnie on the outside looking in. Every game counts this time of year.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:00 PM
Brigadier General

SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
VCU is right in the zone where a p5 team would get a pass, but an A10 team wouldn't.

Our game with them on March 5th could be a make or break for them. Which really shows how fast your stock can drop. Scary.
A P5 team would rarely have a 2-3 Top record, simply because they play too many conference games against the Top 50. But they might get a pass for a 3-5 vs the Top 50.
Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
Phi Psi Flyer '09 (02-26-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 10:32 PM
2nd Lieutenant

Cbusflyer07 has a spectacular aura aboutCbusflyer07 has a spectacular aura aboutCbusflyer07 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by NorthwestFlyer View Post
Lunardi produced an update to his bracket.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask.../iteration/240

Dayton dropped to a 6 seed (rightly so), but he has VCU still in with GW and St. Bonnie on the outside looking in. Every game counts this time of year.

I want nothing to do with that team in the first round! Ironically, the Dunkin' Donuts Center is about 40 minutes from where my grandmother lives. That would be very tempting.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-26-2016, 08:25 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Cbusflyer07 View Post
I want nothing to do with that team in the first round! Ironically, the Dunkin' Donuts Center is about 40 minutes from where my grandmother lives. That would be very tempting.
Posted via Mobile Device
Monmouth.

I thought one of the match up protocol's was to avoid repeat of regular season games?
Old 02-26-2016, 08:58 AM
1st Lieutenant

jerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to behold
You're correct. Lunardi has stated it's too time consuming to follow this rule in his projections and he wouldn't be able to get updates out as quickly. We would not play Monmouth in the first round, but he has us in the 6 range and them in the 11. Unless there has been a rule change I don't think you can play teams you played in season in the first round and maybe not even in the second. Lunardi is just giving us a reasonable projection of seeding moreso than who we'd be playing exactly.
Mad Props to jerseyflyer09 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (02-26-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 09:52 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by SLUFLYER View Post
A P5 team would rarely have a 2-3 Top record, simply because they play too many conference games against the Top 50. But they might get a pass for a 3-5 vs the Top 50.
Or 3-12.
Mad Props to priceg75 For This Totally Excellent Post:
longtimefan (02-26-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 10:48 AM
Major General

Monmouth.

I thought one of the match up protocol's was to avoid repeat of regular season games?
They AVOID them. They don't necessarily cut them out entirely. It's a soft rule, but they do occasionally do it. They're not going to put multiple teams on airplanes to avoid it, and they're not going to move seed lines to avoid it.

I find it odd that Joe Lunardi doesn't have the software that would immediately identify all of the bracketing rules when he builds a bracket. You can program them all in on something as simple as excel, and it will tell you if you're breaking one of them.

Anyways....

Last edited by xubrew; 02-26-2016 at 10:50 AM..
Mad Props to xubrew For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyercasey (02-27-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 10:54 AM
Major General

Posted via Mobile Device
If shot selection were part of the selection committee's criteria, Monmouth wouldn't even come close to making the NIT based on their last few weeks of games. I think the MAAC teams have adjusted to them. They force up more contested shots with 20+ seconds on the shot clock than any other team I've ever seen. They really don't scare me anymore. I'm impressed with how much they've improved in two years, but they're not dangerous if you know how to play against them, which is to basically throw any sort of match up at them and then be in position to get the rebound because they're going to be taking a lot of quick and bad shots.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:50 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,043 Times in 451 Posts
Whacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond repute

P5 would doubtfully have that same line. As they'd have had many more opportunities for top 25 and top 50 wins in conference. Now, they'd have more counting wins, but probably a worse percentage.

Take Florida (44 RPI) for instance: They are 17-11 overall, 2-5, 2-6 and 7-10 (vs 25, 50 and 100 RPI respectively) The P5 shill would say "ohh, look they have 2 top 25 and 2 top 50 wins." Another perspective would be "look they mostly lose when they play tournament-quality teams."
Old 02-26-2016, 03:58 PM
Colonel

NorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
ESPN Bubble watch has been updated, we are still considered a lock, but I think we have an asterisk on that lock.

"On Tuesday night, Dayton ended 40 minutes of basketball at Saint Louis -- which is 10-17, has an RPI pushing 200, and ranks in the high 230s in adjusted efficiency -- tied 46-46. The Flyers won, in overtime, 52-49. It was the lowest score in a UD win since 1934. This whole "lock curse" thing isn't funny anymore, Dayton. OK? You're scaring us."

Really need to complete a sweep of the Rams this weekend.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:26 PM
Captain

To fully cement a lock as a single digit seed before the A10 tournament we just need to win 2 of the next 3. 24-6, 14-4 and we can breathe easy regardless of what happens in Brooklyn.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:38 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,171 Times in 2,321 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NorthwestFlyer View Post
ESPN Bubble watch has been updated, we are still considered a lock, but I think we have an asterisk on that lock.

"On Tuesday night, Dayton ended 40 minutes of basketball at Saint Louis -- which is 10-17, has an RPI pushing 200, and ranks in the high 230s in adjusted efficiency -- tied 46-46. The Flyers won, in overtime, 52-49. It was the lowest score in a UD win since 1934. This whole "lock curse" thing isn't funny anymore, Dayton. OK? You're scaring us."

Really need to complete a sweep of the Rams this weekend.
I believe ESPN meant "lowest score in a UD overtime win". Since we beat Saint Louis 51-44 last year.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
NorthwestFlyer (02-26-2016), UDBaby (02-26-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 04:49 PM
2nd Lieutenant

Cbusflyer07 has a spectacular aura aboutCbusflyer07 has a spectacular aura aboutCbusflyer07 has a spectacular aura about
To fully cement a lock as a single digit seed before the A10 tournament we just need to win 2 of the next 3. 24-6, 14-4 and we can breathe easy regardless of what happens in Brooklyn.
Wow this may be true, my understanding though is a single digit could include either eight or nine. Now, I was not raised with common core math, so this could be different now. in all seriousness though, I'm never comfortable until we reach the semi's of the Atlantic 10 tournament. We do that this year , and I'm feeling pretty good.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-26-2016, 04:52 PM
General of the Air Force

Wow this may be true, my understanding though is a single digit could include either eight or nine. Now, I was not raised with common core math, so this could be different now. in all seriousness though, I'm never comfortable until we reach the semi's of the Atlantic 10 tournament. We do that this year , and I'm feeling pretty good.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think these last 3 regular season games are more important than what happens on the A10 tourney.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:55 PM
Captain

Posted via Mobile Device
Agreed, 24-6 and a first round loss in Brooklyn and we are flirting with 8/9 seed territory, but certainly not any lower than that. Take care of business tomorrow though, that's all that matters now.
UDBaby (02-26-2016)
Old 02-27-2016, 02:03 PM

Dayton not on bubble ... yet. Now an 8/9 seed.

Go 0-2 the next 2 and Dayton on bubble as probably 5th place in A-10 and no bye 1st round.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:23 PM
Captain

Phi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to behold
Probably sitting on 8.5/9 line about to play in a place we haven't won in 15 years. So more likely 10/11.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2016, 02:37 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,288 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Dayton not on bubble ... yet. Now an 8/9 seed.

Go 0-2 the next 2 and Dayton on bubble as probably 5th place in A-10 and no bye 1st round.
Double bye a lock for the Flyers, GW lost to VCU, up 2 on GW and have the tiebreaker with both GW and Davidson

Last edited by UD62; 02-27-2016 at 02:44 PM..
Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (02-27-2016)
Old 02-27-2016, 02:39 PM
Academy Doolie

FortWrightFlyer will become famous soon enough
I was sweating my Thursday night flight to LGA...and I still am. Will UD show up?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2016, 02:45 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Flyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond repute
I think part of the problem with us is the overconfidence that a seed and spot in the NCAA tournament will always be there for UD no matter how bad the team is playing.

We are falling into the seeding area 10/11 and lower that is often populated by teams hot and on the upswing at the end of the year or teams from other conferences who played well all year but lost in their conference final.

Losing next two is distinct possibility ending with a 22-8 record and no bye in the tournament. If we are playing poorly what confidence would or should we have that we can win even one game in the A10 tournament? We would be playing against teams that know that the only way they can make the NCAA is by winning the A10 tournament. If that happens, why should the NCAA reward us with an appearance and seed?
Old 02-28-2016, 01:35 AM

UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Me thinks the flyers have won their last game of the year. Finish 22-10.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:36 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,772 Times in 935 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer68 View Post

Losing next two is distinct possibility ending with a 22-8 record and no bye in the tournament.
The next person that suggests "no bye in the tournament" as a possibility should face some sort of punishment says me.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (02-28-2016), SLUFLYER (02-28-2016)
Old 02-28-2016, 10:12 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Flyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond repute
Hey hawkoooo: "no bye in the tournament" - so punish me!!! Actually reading many of the posts throughout this message board is punishment enough. Getting awful crowded out on the ledge. Need a bigger ledge. Better yet, a win on Tuesday in Richmond and there will be a stampede off the ledge and we won't need a ledge at all.

Squash the Spiders - Go Flyers.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:25 PM
Lieutenant General

UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDDoug View Post
Me thinks the flyers have won their last game of the year. Finish 22-10.
You may be correct, but will be interesting to see how things play out. "true team" seems to be in tatters at the present time. Archie will earn his big bucks if he can right the ship. Thing is he doesn't have a lot of wiggle room as far as roster. Frosh aren't ready and upperclassmen are in a funk or are pi**ed at each other. Always a soap opera at Dayton

Last edited by UD62; 02-28-2016 at 12:35 PM..
Old 02-28-2016, 12:27 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
I wonder if there is any chance, ANY that SLU pulls off the upset of the year in the conference today. Admitted Kool-Aid drinker but we still have a shot at the #1 seed. The outright league title has sailed.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:49 PM

Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,080 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
I have already booked my airbnb in Brooklyn until Sunday. I was sure it was gonna be a pure basketball weekend but it now looks like I will be seeing a Broadway show and doing some siteseeing
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2016, 12:50 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 View Post
I wonder if there is any chance, ANY that SLU pulls off the upset of the year in the conference today. Admitted Kool-Aid drinker but we still have a shot at the #1 seed. The outright league title has sailed.
SJU would have to lose two out of three for us to claim #1 seed over them. We control our own destiny with VCU. Beat UR and VCU and we have tiebreaker with VCU, but should VCU and SJU win out VCU is #1. More than likely we are a #4(guarenteed) or a 2-3, but that could be a complicated tiebreaker exercise. Given our level of play lately, VCU is in a good place. This week's SBU-SJU game will be interesting. I'm with you though, If Bills could somehow win things could get interseting

Last edited by UD62; 02-28-2016 at 01:23 PM..
Old 02-28-2016, 03:39 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,695 Times in 2,512 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
I am almost tempted to go back to January, 2014 and pull up posts on how we were doomed and Archie was the worst coach in history, but I won't. Remember, it's a marathon with still much basketball to be played. They are guaranteed at least a top 4 seed with the double bye.
Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Atlantic 10 (02-28-2016)
Old 02-28-2016, 03:49 PM
2nd Lieutenant

SJU wins. SLU made it interesting for a while . This week is huge. This is exactly what the Atlantic 10 wanted when we played VCU. .
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2016, 04:38 PM

Dayton is a 7 seed +/- seed if season ended today. Let's all get off the ledge.

I trust Archie and he will turn it around.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2016, 07:03 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
In reality I think we are in the 8/9 game right now. We need a win desperately to solidify a spot. Win over VCU should put us firmly in regardless of our 20 point loss at Richmond and first round loss in the A10 tourney.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:23 PM
General of the Air Force

Dayton is a 7 seed +/- seed if season ended today. Let's all get off the ledge.

I trust Archie and he will turn it around.
Posted via Mobile Device
I would feel better if the regular season ended today.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:51 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,197 Times in 584 Posts
Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
IMHO there is something going on with this team that none of us know anything about. Archie has to properly deal with it. Now is the time he earns his salary.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:10 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,752 Times in 794 Posts
Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer68 View Post
Hey hawkoooo: "no bye in the tournament" - so punish me!!! Actually reading many of the posts throughout this message board is punishment enough. Getting awful crowded out on the ledge. Need a bigger ledge. Better yet, a win on Tuesday in Richmond and there will be a stampede off the ledge and we won't need a ledge at all.

Squash the Spiders - Go Flyers.
We'll save you a spot.

This 'team' will lose the next 3 and miss the dance if those involved in the dysfunction dont see the big dance as more important than what is dividing them. Archie can't do anything to fix this it has to be those involved. This type of anger doesn't listen to external reason or respond to correction.

Normally I'd say its over but the last 5 minutes yesterday offered a glimmer of hope. That didn't look like a team that had fully given up. Looked like a team that still wants to win. Let's all hope that's the case.
Mad Props to Marysville Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (02-29-2016)
Old 02-28-2016, 11:47 PM

I went back and looked at the resumes of the teams in the 6-11 range after initially believing Dayton was a 8/9 seed.

If the season ended today, Dayton should be a low 6 or high 7 seed. Palm has Dayton as a 6 and Lundardi has Dayton as a 7.

The likes of Colorado, South Carolina, Pitt, Texas Tech, USC, Wichita St., Monmouth, Vandy, Cincy, Uconn, Bama, Butler, etc. simply don't have the resume Dayton has.

If Dayton goes 0-3, I worry. But as long as Dayton gets 23 wins, I am 90% confident Dayton is in and 24 wins and 100% confident. Simply a much better resume than 7-11 seeds and bubble teams. Winning @Vandy, William & Mary, Bama, @St. Bonnie's, Iowa, etc. matter. Wichita State has one guaranteed top 100 win versus Utah and perhaps two more if Evansville stays in the top 100 (Evansville like 90 now). Wichita St. could end up with 1 top 100 win!

Dayton will make its 3rd straight NCAA tourney. Archie will right the ship, Dayton wins the round of 64 game and who knows after that.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:18 AM
Captain

Ruechalgrin is right, see Lunardi's updated bracket below, still a 7 seed:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask.../iteration/244

Everyone should get a good kick out of Lunardi's two potential matchups in the first weekend he placed us with.

Starting to slip a little in DanceCard as well but still the first 7 seed, 22 spots above the cut line. Once you remove SMU and Louisville, we are actually a 6 seed in their projections. Even with an 0-2 finish to the regular season, that's an awfully large gap and we would probably only drop 10-15 spots at most.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:25 AM
Captain

224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute
Ruechalgrin is right, see Lunardi's updated bracket below, still a 7 seed:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask.../iteration/244

Everyone should get a good kick out of Lunardi's two potential matchups in the first weekend he placed us with.

Starting to slip a little in DanceCard as well but still the first 7 seed, 22 spots above the cut line. Once you remove SMU and Louisville, we are actually a 6 seed in their projections. Even with an 0-2 finish to the regular season, that's an awfully large gap and we would probably only drop 10-15 spots at most.

While I agree with your logic, I would expect to see us as a 8/9 if the season ended today. Iowa continuing to lose isn't helping us.

History has proven mid majors almost always get under seeded in the tourney. So whatever dance card, bracket matrix, etc have us as...drop us 1-2 spots.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to 224 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Phi Psi Flyer '09 (02-29-2016), redbengal (02-29-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 11:49 AM
Captain

Originally Posted by 224 View Post
While I agree with your logic, I would expect to see us as a 8/9 if the season ended today. Iowa continuing to lose isn't helping us.

History has proven mid majors almost always get under seeded in the tourney. So whatever dance card, bracket matrix, etc have us as...drop us 1-2 spots.
Bracketmatrix also has us as the first 7 seed. I think an 0-2 finish and we will be right above the cut line around an 11 seed or maybe a 10 seed. Going 1-1 and I think that puts us firmly at an 8/9 seed.

Above all else, I put my trust into Dance Card. Year in and year out they prove to be the most accurate.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:16 PM

Thanked 15,914 Times in 6,996 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
If VCU is in the 'last 4 out' and we lose our last 2 which would obviously included VCU, am I the only one who could see us switching places with them?
IndianaFlyer (02-29-2016), Tony T 71 (02-29-2016), UD Rugby (02-29-2016), Viperstick (03-01-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by 224 View Post
Iowa continuing to lose isn't helping us.
Vandy winning does though.

They are a 7 right now, but if they lose the next 3 (and the way they are playing I certainly expect that), well I'm not sure an A10 that has lost 7 of 8 is on very safe ground.

at Richmond, VCU, GW neutral for a group not playing well is not something that instills confidence.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:41 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
If VCU is in the 'last 4 out' and we lose our last 2 which would obviously included VCU, am I the only one who could see us switching places with them?
I think we still have a better resume then them. They really lack good wins. The wildcard for me is, how will the committee look at us if we continue to play like a team that doesn't want to play in the post season. They about kicked us out last year and everyone had us in solidly. We should be in, but I am no longer 100% certain that we make it. A lot of the projections are based on how we have been doing and projected to do to finish. So yes, I could see us switching with VCU if the committee chooses an unwritten eye test parameter.

I also see it very difficult for us to better our seed in the NCAA at this point if we don't turn up the heat and 1) finish the season with two more wins, 2) Get a couple of quality wins in the A10 tournament.

We are on the decline and we should expect (Certainly not be happy about) that a favorable seed is fleeting. That is the only thing that is really certain at this point.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:28 PM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
We are playing so poorly right now that I just hope we get in. I'll take any seed (but don't want First Four). Making the NCAA three years in a row is a nice accomplishment to tell recruits. Of course I hope we get it together and win a couple more games, maybe one in regular season and one in A 10 Tourney, but if not I'll take any seed they want to give us.
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
IAFlyer (02-29-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 05:45 PM

DC update: Villanova is over-rated, they are not a legit 1 seed...UD is a 7 seed, still safely in, people are really worried around here.

Providence is getting too much respect from the DC.

GT is a 12.5 point underdog at Louisville, BG needs to pull a big upset.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:47 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
DC update: Villanova is over-rated, they are not a legit 1 seed...UD is a 7 seed, still safely in, people are really worried around here.

Providence is getting too much respect from the DC.

GT is a 12.5 point underdog at Louisville, BG needs to pull a big upset.
Why does BG need to pull a big upset?
Old 02-29-2016, 05:50 PM

Why does BG need to pull a big upset?
GT is a 12.5 point underdog, that is what I meant. If GT loses to Louisville, GT is out.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:11 PM
Brigadier General

GT is a 12.5 point underdog, that is what I meant. If GT loses to Louisville, GT is out.
Well if your theory is true, and BG and GT can play themselves into the bubble picture, or IN as you've suggested with 2 wins this week, I would think we (Flyer fans) would want Louisville to win. If our free-fall continues, I would like the bubble to shrink, not expand.
Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (02-29-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 09:58 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,461 Times in 612 Posts
UD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond repute
Let's suppose we win these next 2, finish as 2 or 3 spot in the A10 and make the finals again. Back in the 5/6 range. It's every bit as likely as the last 4 **** storm games we witnessed.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:26 AM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by UD90 View Post
Let's suppose we win these next 2, finish as 2 or 3 spot in the A10 and make the finals again. Back in the 5/6 range. It's every bit as likely as the last 4 **** storm games we witnessed.
agreed
Old 03-01-2016, 12:16 PM
Colonel

Bubble watch. We are still a lock! But it seems the ESPN sports writers are having more fun with us than SNL is having with Trumps hair.

"Tuesday marked the fourth day of large-scale protests on the streets of Bubble Watch City, after an already-simmering unrest boiled over for the first time Saturday afternoon following Dayton's home loss to Rhode Island, 75-66. Immediately after the game, demonstrators identified as members of a local sect known as "Dayton Flyers fans" descended, en masse, on the gates of the Bubble Watch presidential manor. The group says its anger, directed at the Bubble Watch president himself, is a response to his role in locking the Flyers into the tournament bracket on Feb. 16 -- despite the group's devout belief in the power of the Bubble Watch "lock curse." Saturday's loss was Dayton's third in four games. The lone win in that span -- a 52-49 overtime victory at Saint Louis -- did little to quell the unrest. And though the protests have remained peaceful thus far, advisers to the president worry that a loss at Richmond on Tuesday might send the situation spiraling out of control. In a statement released from his private security bunker, the Bubble Watch president urged his fellow citizens to return to their homes, insisting "there is no such thing" as a lock curse and that Dayton's decline "is totally not our fault." More on this story as it develops."

4 bid A10 is not out of the question, especially if we keep propping up the rest of the teams at our own expense.
Mad Props to NorthwestFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (03-01-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 12:47 PM

Well if your theory is true, and BG and GT can play themselves into the bubble picture, or IN as you've suggested with 2 wins this week, I would think we (Flyer fans) would want Louisville to win. If our free-fall continues, I would like the bubble to shrink, not expand.
I know you really won't like this, but I would even argue that GT might have a slim chance of getting in if they split these last two games. There have been a few teams get a bid with a rpi in the high 60's or low 70's. I would say such a scenario is very unlikely though.

I would have to look at the resumes of those teams from the past that pulled off that feat, and I have not gotten around to that.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:54 PM

Well, ok, I see on some of these nitty gritty reports that I guess the committee does look at your record over the most recent 10 games, and UD is struggling a bit with that metric. Current last 10 is 7-3.

Drop these last 2 and that falls to 5-5.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:57 PM
Brigadier General

I know you really won't like this, but I would even argue that GT might have a slim chance of getting in if they split these last two games. There have been a few teams get a bid with a rpi in the high 60's or low 70's. I would say such a scenario is very unlikely though.

I would have to look at the resumes of those teams from the past that pulled off that feat, and I have not gotten around to that.
It doesn't matter whether I like it or not. It's just ridiculous.

I agree that they have a slim chance of getting in if they split this week.........that slim chance being that they win the ACC Tourney.

Remember to tip your waitresses.........drops mic.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:45 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,005 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
FYI ... from RPI forecast

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein
A team to keep an eye this week: USC. Trojans have lost five of their last six games. 8-8 in Pac-12 play. Need split to be safely in field.
USC is 19-10 with an RPI of 43

if the Flyers go
2-0 they finish with RPI of 19
1-1 they finish with an RPI of 25
0-2 they finish with an RPI of 32
Old 03-01-2016, 03:59 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Sea Bass View Post
FYI ... from RPI forecast

USC is 19-10 with an RPI of 43

if the Flyers go
2-0 they finish with RPI of 19
1-1 they finish with an RPI of 25
0-2 they finish with an RPI of 32
Quit focusing only on the team's RPI. USC's worse loss at this time is 88, Arizona St. Flyers have 2 outside the top 100 and a possible 3rd tonight.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:08 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,005 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Quit focusing only on the team's RPI. USC's worse loss at this time is 88
and what rating index did you use to determine their worst loss was to team ranked 88th?
Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
IAFlyer (03-01-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 04:09 PM
General of the Air Force

We are locked into no worse than a 4 seed in the A10 tourney.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:15 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by bhflyer5 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if we beat Richmond and lose to VCU and Bona also goes 1-1, don't they win the tie breaker with us? Also, if we lose to Richmond AND VCU, we could absolutely end up with a 5 seed and no double bye.

Are you getting frazzled because people are saying first round bye and not a double bye?
We are a lock. Have a two game lead on the 5th place team,GW, and have the tiebeaker with them. If Bonnies beat us out it will be for the #3seed.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:21 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Sea Bass View Post
and what rating index did you use to determine their worst loss was to team ranked 88th?
Caught me. You're right. Flyers finish 0-2 and then lose to GW in Brooklyn finishing with an RPI around 35. No sweat. Nothing to worry about. Doesn't matter how you do against top 50/100 or bottom 250.