UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball > Archived Seasonal Match Threads > 2010 Match Threads

2010 Match Threads Discussion specific to game day and in-game opponents on the schedule.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 09-04-2010, 08:18 PM
1st Lieutenant

cicvi17 has a spectacular aura aboutcicvi17 has a spectacular aura about
Minnesota Thread

OK folks, let's try to get ALL of the comments on this match HERE this time

'Sota lost in 5 to UNI earlier today so they're gonna come out angry in front of a pretty good crowd. Watch for #9 Tabi Love, she's their big hitter.

Meanwhile Baylor and UNI are looking like a 5-setter. 22-17 Baylor in the 4th with UNI up 2-1. Pregame still starts at 730 though, so tune in for some bonus coverage!
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Captain

HansMoleman has a spectacular aura aboutHansMoleman has a spectacular aura aboutHansMoleman has a spectacular aura about
This is turning out to be a really good tourney all around. If UD can run the table it'll be one of the best is school history
Old 09-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Captain

HansMoleman has a spectacular aura aboutHansMoleman has a spectacular aura aboutHansMoleman has a spectacular aura about
Flyers need to come out strong and disciplined in this one. It's their first true road match of the season, and probably will be one of the toughest crowds they've seen in recent years. Not to mention Minny is in now mood to drop two straight at home.

Hopefully, UD can stay in their normal game tonight (not that adjustments have hurt them). Middles need to continue to produce, both blocks and kills. Gibbenmeyer is too good to shut down, but UD has to make her work for points. Her supporting cast is excellent though, so we can't focus just on her.

Sheff preaches serving, and and that will make a big difference in this match. UD has to disrupt Minny's first pass and prevent them from running any play they want. Kray, Bro, Morey, and Amanda need huge games from the serve

And. Here. We. Go

Old 09-04-2010, 09:37 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
25-20 Minnie - First set. 3 matches in a row we drop the first set.

25-13 Minnie -Second set - Got smoked, Time to think SLU and comeback.

Last edited by ud69; 09-04-2010 at 09:57 PM..
Old 09-04-2010, 10:03 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Figures, finally get time to listen to the flyers and they get smoked. Missed both the UNI and Baylor matches and they win.

Guess I'll go crawl back under my rock
Old 09-04-2010, 10:08 PM
Colonel

NovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to behold
Pray for a big comeback, we need it. The audio is painful to listen to, wish we were there.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:15 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
The guy calling this game is lucky that I don't control who does the games or I would find someone else. Why does a dayton announcer keep talking about mid majors, upper mid majors and how minnesota is making dayton look like a local team with how they are outscoring them.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:26 PM
General of the Air Force

Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry I appreciate the effort and all with the streaming but this guy has to go. Sorry, speaking of mid major announcers.... He is not representing Dayton well at all. Nice try but you fail.

Ud is getting schooled and will learn from it. Minn got a taste of defeat this afternoon and didn't like it and is taking it out on UD.

As i figure it, Dayton went from possible winners of the tournament to coming in 3rd.

Last edited by Avid Flyer; 09-04-2010 at 10:42 PM..
Old 09-04-2010, 10:31 PM

Thanked 17,094 Times in 5,099 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
How do you figure that if Baylor went 0-3 on the weekend.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (09-04-2010)
Old 09-04-2010, 10:40 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
How do you figure that if Baylor went 0-3 on the weekend.
You are right, forgot to consider Baylor.

Minn goes 2 - 1 with 3-1, 2-3 and 3-0 = 8-4
UNI goes 2 - 1 with 2-3, 3-2, 3-2 = 8-7
UD goes 2 - 1 with 3-2, 3-1, 0-3 = 6-6
Baylor goes 0-3 as Cr says so who cares what their score were.

Not saying this is the correct way to predict the winner but it was the way my lil ol mind figured it, and I could be wrong
Old 09-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Captain

I'm a firm believer than every team must learn how to lose before they can learn how to win. What UD does in the next few weeks will determine how good of a team we really have
Old 09-04-2010, 11:28 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,461 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Minnesota just took it to UD tonight. They were the better team and everything seemed to fall their way. Lots of film to watch and to learn from. Minnesota has 9 Sweet 16 banners hanging from the ceiling and 3 Final Fours. The Big 10 will come down to Minnesota, Illinois or PSU. They just cranked it up to another level against us after the loss to UNI.

All that said, we'll have a chance to bounce back against NE. They are not as strong as MN from what I saw on TV last weekend. So the team will re-group and have a couple good days of practice and get after it. We are going to knock someone off next week. This team will be hungry to get back on track. This is why we have this tough ooc schedule --- to get tested now, learn from it and get ready for NCAAs.

Go Flyers!
Old 09-05-2010, 12:02 AM

Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Baby steps, folks. Rome was not built in a day. Every team at this tourney had a fatter volleyball pedigree than Dayton and we went 2-1 on the weekend. The UNI win is probably the best regular season win (away from home no less) in the regular season in the history of the program. UNI will win 27-30 matches this year. I think we beat ranked Utah a couple years go but they slid all season and were not ranked at year end.

We took a big step forward in winning a kind of match we have not won before. The Minnesota match is just a reminder that in order to be at the level of the Top-10-15 teams in the country and not Top-20-25 teams, those better teams have a little more consistency and ability to perform big on a nightly basis.

We're getting there. Dayton has never advanced past the second round of the NCAAs. Lets not forget that. You dont go from 0 to 100mph overnight. We'll probably take a few more lumps too. But I think we have a chance to win some big remaining matches as well. As we mature as a program, the next step is learning how to win against multiple Top-15 teams in the same weekend.

I consider the weekend a huge success. After winning the first two matches, the Gopher match was a freebie to see where we were. Obviously we've still got some work to do. But this schedule will pay off in November.

3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (09-05-2010), Lynton (09-05-2010), udisit19 (09-05-2010)
Old 09-05-2010, 01:13 AM
1st Lieutenant

cicvi17 has a spectacular aura aboutcicvi17 has a spectacular aura about
Minnesota was clearly ticked off at losing to UNI and took it out on us. They executed their gameplan, their libero dug EVERYTHING that came her way, and their outsides found all the seams. There's a reason this team came in ranked 8th in the country, and they proved it after getting their wakeup call this morning.

And for Brian and Avid - all I'll say is that I while I AM a UD grad, I'm not going to be biased. My job is to call the game as I see it happen. And I don't like it any more than you do, but we play in the A-10. There's no other team in the conference with a shot at an at-large bid this year, based upon the first two weeks, besides UD. Hate to break it to you, but that's the definition of a mid-major. Our program certainly doesn't play like one, but neither does Butler basketball and that's all they were called last year. Oh, and they made it to the finals.

You want to harp on my volleyball knowledge, go for it. I know I'm not as polished as some others. I'm a baseball guy trying to adapt to what I have found to be a wonderfully exciting sport, and I want to bring it to you. But I'm not going to sugarcoat things or artificially pump up someone when it's not accurate. You'll get things exactly as they happen on the court, totally unbiased. That's the job of ANYONE in the media, including the REAL "voice of the Flyers." I'll be more excited when UD wins, but if we're getting schooled, I'll be the FIRST one to tell you.

And tonight, Avid and Brian - we got schooled.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:53 AM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Two stats that will help this team --

First is they played before 4454 last night. That's what they will play in front of on Thursday at NE. I would think that's the biggest crowd ever to see the Flyers. It will have helped to be in that kind of environment - because at NE it's 3 times louder.

Second, in Brian's interview with Sheff, I think he mentioned they wanted to side-out at 65%+. First set we were at 60% and lost 25-20. We dropped to 50% in sets 2-3 and those sets we lost bad. That 65% looks to be an important key to winning sets.

It will be interesting to see how we bounce back. Good teams do and I believe we are a very good team. NE is not as good as MN was last night from the matches I've seen. Flyers have to get after it.

Also, during the MN-UNI match, I thought MN's first pass off serve receive was excellent. It was against us too. You could see a strong attack coming before the setter ever touched the ball, because the pass was dead on. And they had great OHs that could hammer the ball. I thought we served as well as we ever had last weekend. I didn't see as much agressive serving this weekend. Not sure why. I also noticed on the backrow defense, we line up in the seam of the block and MN's OHs would hit just around the block and we would be a step off getting to the dig. I know there are advantages to both options to how you line up behind the block. I just don't know enough about the pros and cons of either to comment one way or another. It was just an observation I saw all night. The MN match will be a good game tape to learn from for UD.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 09-05-2010 at 09:59 AM..
Old 09-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
cicvi17, I thought you did a great job all weekend especially without your secret weapon of volleyball knowledge Mandy Robbe. I listened to the first two matches, and then attempted to watch the Minnesota broadcast. They just weren't into the game. Logically, I finished listening to the Dayton Broadcast. The Dayton broadcast with the intros, interviews, and your play-by-play was a very professional broadcast.

And Chris:
You are right. Dayton has only a few other matches that rank up there with that UNI win. That UNI win is would be considered a much better win than Utah for sure. I was at the Utah game and we probably just got lucky. Based on what I heard, we made adjustments and sounded like the better team. The only win I could argue that was better was a win over Illinois in Tennessee in 2008. Illinois made the Sweet 16 that year and we beat them on a neutral court. After seeing UNI this weekend, the Sweet 16 is easily in the realm of possibility for the Panthers. Wins over UNI and Baylor are a great accomplishment. Minnesota can't say that.

Last edited by udisit19; 09-05-2010 at 10:17 AM..
Old 09-05-2010, 01:26 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think we will be punished in the poll for the UMinn loss. With the two nice wins to start, we should hold our position begging the issue of some radical outcomes of the matches of teams immediately near us in the poll.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Colonel

NovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to behold
I enjoyed listening to the games on the web, great job bringing the action to the airways, and better than gametracker. Yup, listened to most of the Minn loss also, tough to win them all. We will recover and play well because this is a great team with a great coaching staff to lead the way.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:24 PM
General of the Air Force

UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Let me clarify what I said earlier. If UD is getting pasted I have no problem with someone saying that. If UD has a player that they cannot stop on the other team I have no problem with the announcer saying that. If UD is playing poorly I have no problem with the announcer saying that.

But, during this match it was somehow deemed as david versus goliath. I don't think that this is really true. UD had just beaten a team that beat Minnesota. They beat a team in four sets that Minnesota also beat in four sets. Just because UD lost badly to Minnesota doesn't mean that UD is somehow not in the same league with minnesota because they are in a football conference.

I wouldn't be surprised if the term 'MID MAJOR' was invented by the BCS schools to pronounce their superiority. Having our announcer calling us a mid major two times in two nights doesn't help the program. Having our announcer talking like that does not help recruiting which is my only concern. Most really good players will say to themselves "It might have been different if I were there" but maybe all of them won't say that. UD was not in minnesota's league on that night but on a good night they can play with them. I will agree with the person that said UD does seem to struggle more with taller teams than they struggle with fast offense teams.

Volleyball is a precise game. If you don't have that good first pass your offense is immediately limited. If this causes the setter to make bad sets or bad decisions then you are in worst trouble as the hitters are going against double blocks most of the time. Things can snowball in a hurry when you are playing against a tall team like Minnesota.

When looking at the stats it is very disturbing that we had only two players hit .200 or better. Our left outside hitters hit .031 (Kray with five kills, four errors in 32 attempts) and .182 (Amanda with eight kills, two errors and 32 attempts). That isn't going to cut it and I am sure Minnesota deserves some of the credit for this.

So you take a deep breath and be thankful this wasn't an NCAA tournament game. Then you look at your goals for the season and realize they are all achievable. Then you get back to work
Old 09-06-2010, 02:45 AM

In my opinion Minnesota and Dayton volleyball are on two entirely different planets as far as I see it from a historical and traditional context. Can we compete in a one-game take all? Sure. This weekend's results showed we're capable of stepping up. But overall, these two programs have nothing in common. The Gophers have been to three Final Fours and were national runner up once. They've been to the NCAA regionals more than UD has ever been to the NCAA Tournament. Dayton has never made it past the second round or even beat a Top-10 team in the history of the program at the D-I level.

I don't know if mid-major is the right term, but it's hard to find accurate terms to compare programs like Minnesota and Dayton that really have very little in common from a long-term competitiveness, funding, and national recognition standpoint. Is Hawaii a mid major out of the WAC? No. But Hawaii has won a bevy of national titles. When you win a national title, you get a longer leash and benefit of the doubt. Much like Cal State Fullerton or Wichita State in baseball. But those longer leashes were built upon a decade or two of sustained national dominance.

Dayton is in much the same boat as Northern Iowa, only UNI also trumps Dayton from a national volleyball recognition standpoint. Even with that longer sustained level of excellence, I think most other top programs would still considered UNI one step below the strong BCS programs like Illinois, Minny, Penn State, Stanford, Nebraska, etc.

One could even make the case that Ohio U. holds more national credibility than Dayton, and Ohio U has been down a bit the last couple of years (for their standards).

Its a slow methodical climb up the national radar. I couldn't be happier with the progress. But our view of Dayton is from the inside out, while others look at us from the outside in. I believe teams like Minny, Nebraska, and Illinois view us like Louisville, Western Michigan, UNI, Ohio U. and St. Louis. Programs on the rise or doing more with less than other larger state schools, but still in a constant fight to overcome natural disadvantages of being a small private school in the midwest. Most of the private schools in the rankings are west coast, fair climate institutions. And by most I mean all two or three of them This sport is still largely dominated by BCS state schools and the exceptions to the rule like ND or Stanford.

I'm not really sure what my point is, other than I think Dayton is a hard volleyball program to accurately classify. If mid-major is not the term, what term do we need to use. I dont believe UD has earned the right to call themselves high-major yet. High major programs make it to the second weekend of the NCAAs on a semi regular basis.

This program is still wearing Huggies from a maturation process. Its only been 6-7 years since we earned our first NCAA bid. Some of these programs on our schedule have been making NCAA noise for two decades or more. We've come a long way fast, but there is still a large divide between us and some of the better teams in the country. Fans shouldn't put too much burden on these players to leap over natural steps in the evolution process of a program. I know as fans we want it to happen overnight, but it doesnt work that way. It took us 7 years to get to where we think we have a team that can win 2 games in the NCAAs now. It may take another 7 years to get us to a point where we think we can realistically win 3 or 4. But thats fine by me. Evolution is a two steps forward one step back livelihood. Always has been.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:21 PM
General of the Air Force

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-06-2010, 03:44 PM
General of the Air Force

Quite simply you don't describe any team in the top 20 nationally as a mid major period. Talked with severa fans after the game and the felt minn was on a
Ission and no in the country would have beaten them on that particular night.
Minn had to sweep Dayton or keep Dayton from winning 2 games to assure the championship. Thus they played over their heads just as the played down against UNI. Their backs were against the wall.
One Minn fan and friend said he had never seen Minn play that well and that included theirchampionship years. Maybe he was just being kind but others have stated similar comments.
Have no problem with broadcaster for the most part but there are certainly other ways to describe Dayton volleyball.
So if Dayton gets an invite to the big east then they would suddenly become a major.

Is dePaul and Marquette majors? Seems Dayton has beaten them on a regular basis in mball.

Bottom line is 8 beat a 17/20 before a home crowd like it should have. Yet lost to a 20/22 team at home earlier, a team Dayton beat earlier. I seriously doubt Sheff and UD appreciate an announcer calling them mid major when they are hard at trying to establish their program as other than.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-06-2010, 04:06 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
No matter what we call them, it was a successful weekend. Going 2-1 was important to maintaining program momentum. Down 7-11 in the fifth to UNI could have easily ended up as a loss.

For our efforts we now get to play #7 Nebraska on Thursday, #3 Illinois on Friday, and a very good (6-1) Western Michigan team on Saturday. Going 1-2 would be expected. Going 2-1 would be unbelievable. 3-0 is beyond thinkable.

Does anyone know the team's travel schedule? If they came back to Dayton, with the holiday, they would only pick up one day of class for 2 days of heavy travel - unless of course they had their usual charter.
Did they head straight for Lincoln from Minneapolis?
Old 09-06-2010, 05:58 PM

Avid, I hear what you're saying, but its not the broadcaster's job to only say things the coaching staff will approve of. If that were the case, it would be nothing but a 2hr puff piece and no point in listening at all.

I can guarantee that schools like Minny, Nebraska, and other perennial Top-10 teams do not consider Dayton in the same class as them. If Dayton is high-major, Minny and Nebraska are higher-major. Shoot, UNI has been to 15 NCAAs and 3 Sweet Sixteens. Their fans might even object to Dayton fans trying to compare UD volleyball to UNI volleyball.

Look at how annoyed UD fans get at Saint Louis trying to compare them to ourselves? We have infinitely more in common with SLU than we do UNI or Minnesota. That myopia cuts both ways.

Its like comparing Dayton basketball to North Carolina basketball. Both may be in the same tournament at times, and Dayton may be able to beat UNC, but they have zero in common in historical national success and reputation and fan expectations. I see it less as a slight to a program like Dayton and more of a respect to a program like Minny that's "been there, done that." Minnesota is what we're striving to be. They are not striving to be Dayton. And I think everyone at UD is totally okay with this. Just like so many lesser programs are striving to be Dayton. As we improve, that metric shifts.

Big10 volleyball and A10 volleyball are in different leagues. The A10 has 2-3 decent teams and everyone else flat out stinks. The Big10 is far more balanced. The A10 volleyball is much like the Big East in volleyball. They have Notre Dame and little else. Do I consider Big East volleyball to be "high major"? Nope. I sure dont. It's unrelated to their hoops prowess. A10 volleyball is far weaker than A10 basketball. This league has little cache' nationally. Nothing of our own doing, it just is what it is.

I think David vs. Goliath is okay. Whats wrong with being David until you become Goliath? Unless you are Penn State, everyone is a David to someone.

Lets just enjoy the historical weekend of success we earned and give it our best shot this coming weekend. Whether we go 3-0 or 0-3, it won't change the process The Sheffer is building here.

Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
John R (09-06-2010)
Old 09-06-2010, 06:47 PM

I wasn't going to get into this conversation because I didn't hear the broadcast...but what the heck. lol

First comment is "What's wrong with being called a mid-major?" I don't get it. I personally think it's cool when a mid-major knocks off one of the big guys. I think Dayton is a mid-major. I think it has to do with the school as a whole, not one particular sports program, and certainly not any rankings. I grew up in Iowa playing girls basketball. The girls sport was bigger than boys basketball. Back then there were no classes. The little towns teed it up against the bigger towns and cities. And the little towns held there own every year. Most years the best teams came from the little towns. It was a great source of pride for those towns. I say, "Own it!!!". And when we knock off NE and/or ILL this week..."Own it BIG time!" I don't get that "mid-major" is some negative label at all.

Second, I heard all of this second-hand, so if it's wrong, ignore my comments. I heard Mike (the radio announcer) was saying a mid-major couldn't complete against the bigger schools. Historically that has been the case in volleyball. It's rare when a mid-major makes the Sweet 16. However, I don't think Mike knew that... What I do believe is that this year is the first year in a long time (maybe ever) that 2 mid-majors will vie for a Sweet 16 spot. And those two teams are UNI and UD. That would have been a good discussion at this tournament. To do that, we both are going to have to knock off a couple big schools and that will be exciting if it happens.

Third, I heard Mike said we were playing like a local high school team and/or a Division II team. Either of those is out-of-line. Mike posted above we can call him out on volleyball-knowledge. Well the "local high school team" if said, is obsured. But so is the Division II comment. So I'll call Mike on that one with this, "How many Division II matches have you seen?" My guess is close to zero. Ironically, right down the street from U of MN is Concordia University. They have won the last 3 Division II Championships. They are a Division II team that could in fact beat some Division I teams. But they couldn't beat any of the Top 50 Division I teams, even on a really good day. One of my other nieces plays Division II vball. She played against the #18 and #20 ranked DII teams this past weekend. Those teams would have been swept by every team we've played this year. Division II is great volleyball, but it's on a much lower level than DI. I think Mike would concede it was a comment he probably didn't have the background to justify and support.

Finally, it's tough to "fill" two hours of live radio. So there are bound to be some things said that aren't 100% accurate. Mike is new to the gig and from what I've heard in the past, is doing a good job with Mandy and will only get better. Avid and UDBrian have been fans of this program a long, long time. Probably longer than anyone else on here. So it's understandable they are a little "protective" of the team. And my how we've come a long way. Three years ago we couldn't get 2 inches or 2 minutes of media coverage and now we have a live broadcast of every match this year. WOW! Says a lot about were this mid-major is going and that's exciting.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 09-06-2010 at 06:55 PM..
Old 09-08-2010, 12:29 PM
General of the Air Force

The only point UDBrian and I made was in reference to the mid major label. Of course the BCS schools think UD is mid major as do their announcers. That's a given.

This was a learning moment. Easily stated a 17/20 taking on an 8 and getting schooled. I even used the schooled term in one of my earlier posts. No one is denying that or asking a radio announcer to go fluff for 2 hours.

Any team in the top 20 is an elite team as one of my good friends (Minn fan) pointed out. The super 8 as he calls them are schools that repeatedly get in the top 8 and are the super elite schools.

Does the term mid major have any real effect on anything other than UDBrian and myself. I'd be amazed that Mandy would consider UD mid major. Both I and UDBrian (we have not discussed this subject) feel the label affects the perception to recruits.

A top 50 elite recruit might consider any of the top 20 ranked schools all being in the elite class. Some of course would only want to play for the super elite; NE, Penn St, Minn etc. as they want to have their name up their with other great players. On the other hand a top 50 elite player may consider a top 20 elite program and she sees herself as the difference maker in getting them to the final four.

There is quite a difference in perception calling a team an elite top 20 vs a mid major. What top 50-100 player wants to say they are going to a mid major. And when your own announcer calls you a mid major the perception stings.

What was not considered by the announcer was two important facts. 1. not all UD players got to practice before the Diet Coke Classic. 2. Jess Yanz did not participate in spring practices or games since she was scheduled to graduate. Coming to UD she was not in game shape or condition. I believe from what others have said Jess was tired in the game with Minn therefore sets not what they could have been. Two games in one day I believe wore on her and the flyers.

Now having said that, this week will tell more. Again 3 games but on 3 separate days. Fatigue should not be the same factor.

All in all UD is right on schedule. Won their tourney and finished 2-1 in the Diet Coke Classic. This week anything over 1-2 against two top teams and one knocking on the door would be icing on the cake.

Go Flyers, you belong in the elite class, let the super elite know you are there and not intimidated.

I believe last weeks loss to Minn was an anomaly.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:01 PM
Colonel

smitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond repute
Well...I wasn't going to get involved in this either, but...

as I am in a unique position of personally knowing Avid, Brian AND Mike, I thought I'd give my two cents...

I was not able to listen to the broadcast for that game, but I can tell you that we talked to Mike at Milano's the monday before he left, and he did say that he wasn't sure how the weekend would go because he's "not a volleyball guy" and that Mandy wouldn't be making the trip. He seemed a bit uneasy about it, but I had no doubt that he'd do just fine. Perhaps some things he said were not to everyone's liking, but perhaps the fact that we were getting beat so badly made the comments sound much worse than they actually were. I can tell you that Avid, Brian and Mike are all nice guys and if locked in a room together they'd all get along just fine.

For Brian and Avid...here's a funny story about Mike...

Mike used to have somewhat shaggy curly locks on his head. He was the producer that ran the Brian Gregory Show at Bdubs with Larry. Well...basketball had just started, but football was still going and at the end of football season Mike Hartsock and Larry Hansgen were both out of town and Mike I. had to fill in as host for the Rick Chamberlin tv show. There he was on tv with a super short hairdo which he has kept. When we went back to B-dubs I had J go over to Mike and ask him if he got a haircut just because he was going to be on tv, and he laughed and said yes. That's what I call dedication to your job and going above what is required of you.

My point is that Mike is an up and coming dedicated radio star who has done a tremendous job with baseball, basketball, and is working hard on his volleyball announcing. Don't give him too hard of a time just yet. He's just getting started. Who knows...if Larry ever retires maybe he'll be the new "Voice of the Flyers". Of course that will be about 50 years down the road...hahahaha
Mad Props to smitch425 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (09-08-2010)
Old 09-08-2010, 03:17 PM
General of the Air Force

Actually I have no problem with mikes announcing. With Mandy's help he knows more about vball than I do. I'm just a fan and novice. I will attempt to introduce my self an tell him I do in fact appreciate his broadcasting. That was the only gripe I had. Hope the bar of soap in my hand doesn't intimidate him. Lol. Hoping to meet everyone in Nebraska. Go Flyers!
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Chris R (09-08-2010)
Old 09-09-2010, 07:30 PM
General of the Air Force

Volleyball would be very difficult to call on play by play, everything happens too fast. I can't even imagine trying to call the UNI offense when they are only setting the ball 2' over the net. I think a lot of the commentary has to happen between points. There is no doubt that he has talent and if he wants to become the voice of the flyers that is fine with me. But I can assure you there will be more than one person complaining if he describes the men's basketball team/game in similar fashion.

I don't need for someone to sugarcoat things, if the team is getting whipped fine. But fans don't turn the game on to hear that someone else's program is superior even if their team might be on that day. One thing about volleyball is that adding one great player can elevate a good team into the top 20. And unlike men's bball they will probably be there for four years.

I have to get up too early in the morning to listen tonight so I hope that you and Jody hold the fort for me and I read about a victory very early in the morning!

Last edited by UDBrian; 09-09-2010 at 07:52 PM..