UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball > Archived Seasonal Match Threads > 2010 Match Threads

2010 Match Threads Discussion specific to game day and in-game opponents on the schedule.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 10-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,461 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Charlotte Thread

How exciting to play at UD Arena!!! This will be good for the team and the fans. I'm assuming they are using the old red and blue sports court. Who knows...maybe the NCAA has already sent in their light blue NCAA courts. That would be cool. I believe they are the same surfaces/manufacturer.
Advertisement
Old 10-23-2010, 06:15 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
It was great they put down the volleyball court lines on the arena floor instead of bringing in the sports court.

Not a great performance, but we got it done in a sweep. We'll need to continue to work on consistantly playing at a high level. With X coming to town on Friday, I'm sure practices this week will be intense. Lots to work on.

The only audio I had was the arena announcer saying "Point Flyers (UD/Dayton)" and announcing the servers until 21-18 in the second set when Mike and Mandy's audio came live. I hope things are back to normal with the X match on Friday. We've gotten very spoiled with a professional broadcase. And it was unfortunate that there might have been UD out-of-town basketball fans tuning in for vball today and they had basically no audio and the video was fuzzy. I was having to keep score and if you didn't know vball, you probably shut it off before Mike and Mandy audio kicked in. Missed opportunity apparently due to technology issues.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 10-23-2010 at 06:20 PM..
Old 10-23-2010, 06:41 PM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
Yeah I tried to watch the game too, but the lack of announcers made it tough to follow. I'm glad I checked back again at the start of the third to catch the audio again, but I would understand if others just gave up on it. Not the best performance, but I like the fact that the Flyers faced some adversity in sets 2 and 3 and maintained the sweep.

Sunday will be my first visit to GW University. Can't wait to see this match.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:28 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, set two was just an amazing match. Charlotte was digging all over the place. It's hard to imagine that they aren't higher in the standings. They put up more of a fight than George Washington did. I also thought it was 'cute' how the Charlotte head coach took two timeouts in the first set when #14 went down with a sprained ankle. At the end of the second timeout, he gave the one referee the thumbs up that they would be ready to go.

I also liked the standard buzzer for the end of timeouts. That will be neat for the regionals!
Old 10-23-2010, 09:49 PM
Captain

HansMoleman has a spectacular aura aboutHansMoleman has a spectacular aura aboutHansMoleman has a spectacular aura about
It was good for the team to get a match in at the arena, especially if they return later in the year. UD seems to struggle in arenas compared to gyms. Getting a feel for the angles/lines in that setting could pay off in the future...
Old 10-23-2010, 09:53 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Thought we played better last night. Still, a 3-0 sweep.

I was somewhat disappointed in the game management. OK, no sport court. Perhaps the NCAA court is not yet available - or is not permitted to be used. However, the stat boards were not even used. Surely, they could put up the set scores and some stats. Just kept track of the sets under "fouls". Hope they get this rectified for the regional as it is the least that fans would expect.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:52 PM

Thanked 17,094 Times in 5,099 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Second set we were getting dominated defensively at the net. Just could not kill effectively, nor get blocks out of our own defense. It was 24-24 and had the match gone 1-1, could have made things really interesting.

I agree with some of the other comments that we should play quicker. Some of those long moon ball sets across to the other side of the court take too long to develop and the opponent has plenty of time to slide over and cause problems. Id prefer to see those balls driven across the court more parallel the ground and shave half the time it takes to get the ball there. I like the idea of "switching fields" if I can borrow a soccer term, but it needs to be done quickly or it loses effectiveness.

And, I will never see enough quick middle sets as far as Im concerned. Whether Fletemier is there or not. I prefer the quickie sets over the long high ones. To me, I rather give the other team half the time to set up a block or dig, even if it means our kill attempt isnt absolutely perfect. The speed of the game is the most lethal weapon in my eyes. Its already a game predicated on cat-quick reactions and instincts. If you can cut that considerably, its going to be almost humanly possible to react quick enough and save some kills. The body can physically only react so quickly once it gets to a certain point when trying to dig and block.

My uneducated vball 2 cents.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 10-23-2010, 11:05 PM

Thanked 17,094 Times in 5,099 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
One stat Id like to know is how many kills Fletemier gets on our own service and how many in serve receive. She only plays half the match because she doesnt rotate into the back row, so when she is in there, we need to really make it count.

In serve receive, I have to think the plan is to set her almost every time if possible. We should win more points on serve receive than serve. So in serve receive, our first kill attempt with Fletemier on the court should be Fletemier whenever possible from a practicality standpoint. So UD doesnt really have to do much other than not hose up the first touch on the receive of the serve. In theory, Fletemier should get a lot of points on serve receive.

When UD is serving however, Fletemier cannot generate a kill attempt unless UD first successfully digs and saves the ball on the counter-return. So it requires a defensive stand before we go on offense. But when this happens, does our ability to get Fletemier the ball again tend to fall by the wayside?

Do we try to feature Fletemier only on serve receive, serve, or is it exactly even? What percentage of kills do you thin she's getting from serve receive? 70%?

I bring all this up because in theory, theres no reason we shouldnt be able to get her the ball on most serve receives. But if she successfully kills a serve receive set, she must then either get her next kill on UD's own serve, or wait a few points until UD loses a point and serve receives again.

She's out there only for a certain number of plays each game. We need to feed the horse as often as we can considering the hitting percentage she carries. I dont want to get SO predictable thats its to her and the team's detriment, but it seems like every time we make an effort to get her the ball, something good almost always happens.

You can't coach 6-6.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 10-24-2010, 12:05 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Today I watched the match from behind the court instead of off to the side. You cannot do this when you are at the Frericks unless you stand with the students. It is basically the same view you have when playing.

When you are behind the action you can see holes in the block and where particular players are being set. The only thing you cannot see as well is how close the passes are to the net. To run the middle hitter options the passes have to be tight to the net. IF the ball isn't passed tight to the net the setter is often moving right before the set and make a safer set which is higher and gives the hitter and blockers more time.

Normally if Jess sets a high ball to the outside hitter it is because the pass wasn't that good and setting it higher is safer. I could not tell from my vantage point how close the passes were to the net. Does anyone have thoughts on this?

I asked Amanda a couple of questions. I mentioned Charlotte's blocking and she said they were the number 2 ranked blocking team in the A10 and they watched tape. Charlotte's blocking did not surprise UD.

She said that they preferred the Frerick's center to UD arena but the arena had a great floor.

There were quite a few times where the block wasn't quite closed and Charlotte hit it through the seam.

It was mentioned previously by beckystxa that Kray has a lot more serves than anyone else. Sitting behind of or in front of Kray's serve showed how much movement she has on her serve. There were a couple that Allyson served which just exploded but I think that the movement on kray's serves are more consistent than anyone on the team.

We went through the autograph line and the team was very friendly as always. My niece wasn't interested in getting pictures but her friend had her picture taken with Ally, Jessica and Lindsay.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:56 AM

Since the last 2 matches had video, I was watching how often Jess had to move out to the 10' line (off the net) to set the ball. To be honest, it was more than I was comfortable with. I didn't keep a talley, but I would guess it was around 50% of the time she's moving farther than you would like to take the first pass.

I also noticed, like Chris, that with both Lindsay and Becky, the quick low set in front of the setter to the middles is pretty unstoppable. We haven't seen that as much this year as last and I think we need to use it more.

And like Chris, I've been wondering where the quick, low chute set is to the left OHs. Penn State ran this play to Hodge on the outside all the time the last two years and it was unstoppable. I'd like to see us try to use it. It's a tough set and the OH has to leave the ground quicker than normal, but I think we have the athletes to run it.

Finally, earlier in the year we seemed to go down-the-line on both the left and right sides more than we are now. I think we are going cross-court way too much. UDBrian and I were talking this week and we noticed that opposing Liberos are having huge digging days against our hitters. Usually the Libero covers the cross court shot since it's the shot most taken.

All that aside, we are undefeated in the A-10. We've got a tough match this Friday and a trip to GW on Sunday. After that Charlotte on the road and SLU at home with Fordham and LaSalle thrown in. Three weeks to crank it up another level before the A-10 Tournament. These women will get after it in the gym.

I think our serving has never been better. I think our passing is better, but we need to continue to work on getting Jess the ball closer to the net. And our blocking is very good, but we'll continue to work on closing more blocks. I agree, where we need work is on the quick sets and timing between the hitters and Jess. I don't see a lot of hitters leaving the ground before the ball gets to Jess' hands. It comes down to reps and a comfort level and that takes work in practice.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:23 PM
General of the Air Force

UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the info on where jess is setting from. It is tough to set the ball low and outside from the 10' line and really tough to set the middle hitters. The setter can do it with no problem but the timing is harder for the hitter. So that explains why the outside sets are often higher than they need to be. And you normally set it to the side you are facing which gives the blockers more time to set up.

If you are going to run a one tempo set to the middles the first pass really needs to be within three feet of the net. You can do it further out but it is much harder. If you commit to running the one tempo set you need great passing. If you commit to a higher middle set then you have more chances to use it because the first pass doesn't have to be quite as good.

Becky faced some very tough blocking in both matches this weekend. I did notice that they made some changes later in yesterday's match and becky put more balls away toward the end.

No passer is perfect but if all of the passes had been three option passes the blocking for charlotte would not have looked nearly as good.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:46 PM

We are passing better than we ever have since Adrienne Green and Kortney Norris were on the court. Where I think we are getting very good is we have very few "shanked" balls. The passes might not be where you want them as consistantly as you want, but we have very few really bad passes. Last year we would have 3-4-even 5 in any given set. This year we seem to have only 3-4 per match or less.

And, I would agree, actually since the Xavier match, defenses have been ganging up on Becky on the slide attack. That's when we have to use Beck as a decoy and send the rightside OH to the middle and run the inside slide to her or if there is no rightside (on 2 rotations there is not) then send Becky out on the slide and let the block follow her and set Kray in the backrow for an attack down the middle. (The Pike) There should be either no block or one-on-one for either of those plays if the defense is following Beck on the slide move.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:49 PM
General of the Air Force

I agree that the passing has improved a lot since last year and I know that the team has worked hard at getting better.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:37 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
One thing I noticed that I think is an advantage in passing, is Jess's height and ability as a blocker. Being 6'1", she doesn't have to jump as much for a nice push on the set, and she is able to wait longer than a shorter girl might be. And with that longer wait, she can see where the holes are. It's fun to see her get ready for a set and the defense trying to figure out where the pass is going, only to find out that Jess pushes it into the open set past the blockers. As well, with her ability to wait, if she can get a buzz pass to an outside, the opponent has less time to adjust for the block.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:38 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
The updated "Figgie" looks pretty good. I did a quick check and there are about 19 matches involving Dayton opponents that the NCAA has not yet updated. In those matches the opponents have gone 13-6 so there is room for moving up even a tad more. Will be interesting to see where we are when all the results are in. Our opponents did very very well this past week.
Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (10-25-2010)