User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-18-2017, 02:00 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,229 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
2017-18 season

How do you think the team will look game #1 next season?

Head Coach: Archie - though I think Archie will lose an assistant in the off season

Captains: Cunningham and Davis

Starters:
Crosby
Davis
Antetokounmpo
Cunningham
Williams
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2017, 02:07 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,122 Times in 4,168 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
We are going to be a lot better than a lot of people on here think IMO.
13 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (03-18-2017), Atlantic 10 (03-18-2017), Bonziflyer (03-18-2017), ClaytonFlyerFan (03-18-2017), CT Flyer (03-18-2017), Flyer14 (03-18-2017), flyerfanatic86 (03-20-2017), m21eagle45 (03-18-2017), MikeFlyer (03-19-2017), Rita 1 (03-18-2017), ruechalgrin (03-19-2017), TMPH66 (03-18-2017), Wallage (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 02:16 PM
Colonel

Gilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud of
It will be very interesting. It's been a long time since we've had this many new guys and this many starting spots open. Plus, this is a very unique bunch coming in. 13 filled scholarships and I think all starting spots are open, and minutes off the bench are up for grabs. Kids that can play multiple positions.
My guess now is something like Cunningham, Williams, Mikesell, DDavis and Wright, with bench minutes in this order: Antetokounmpo, Crosby, Svoboda, J Davis, Carter, Landers, Miller, Pierce.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Gilchrist's Autograph 2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (03-19-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 02:18 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,556 Times in 3,701 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
During the non con season, I could see Archie breaking the Brian Gregory record for hockey substitution per game as he experiments with line ups.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-18-2017), Jeff (03-18-2017), ruechalgrin (03-19-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 02:39 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
I donno some of those projected 'starters' were part of the bench that did not perform well down the stretch. Not even talking about the poor showing last nite.

I know we talk alot about Archie developing his players but a couple years ago the guys (SS, KP, KD) at this juncture played way better than the group who will replace those 3.

Development for these new starters better start ASAP cause they are starting at a lower level than those they replace.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:04 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Next year will be a down year when compared to the last four in terms of post season play. I'd like to think they will win enough to make the NIT but that may be a reach.

That said, I think it will be exciting to see the growth of the Jr's and Fr's which I think will be pronounced. They could make a run in the A10 tournament if the growth is high.

The biggest areas of interest for me will be how much improvement is seen from McKinley and Kostas. From my perspective those two, along with Cunningham and Williams, will be the leaders of this team near the end of next year and heading into 18-19.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:16 PM

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
I won't judge Cunningham on anything he did these last few weeks.

Mikesell will never be anything more than a role player, even if he puts on weight. He's smart, but not overly skilled. He has used his smarts at times to beat his opponent but his lack of athleticism puts a limit on his upside.

Williams can be good but needs to put on more weight and be more aggressive down low.

Davis really doesn't have any more upside either. He either needs to regain his outside stroke or figure out how to be aggressive going to the hole.

Didn't see enough of Landers to form an opinion. Athletic, but does he have or will he develop any real basketball skill? No idea, but hopeful. Arch wouldn't have recruited him for nothing.

Miller could be better if he'd get his head on right. He's got skills and some size, but he needs to decide if he's a inside player or not. I don't care if he takes his guy outside on offense, but on D, he's get to be stronger/more aggressive.

Crosby can be better if he plays within boundaries. If the game slows down for him, maybe he'll stop dribbling into traffic with no where to go.

I hate to say it but my hopes are pinned on Kostas and the 5 recruits. Hopefully they are more ready to play than past recruits have been, because we're going to need them.

Last edited by TXFlyerFan; 03-18-2017 at 03:22 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-18-2017), rollo (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 03:19 PM
2nd Lieutenant

TMPH66 is just really niceTMPH66 is just really niceTMPH66 is just really niceTMPH66 is just really niceTMPH66 is just really nice
We will be a 12 beating a 5 in the NCAAT. Put it in your 2018 March appointment book.
10 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TMPH66 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Atlantic 10 (03-18-2017), Bob G (03-20-2017), CJ2etc (03-18-2017), ClaytonFlyerFan (03-18-2017), CT Flyer (03-18-2017), DaytonInsider (03-18-2017), Glen Clark (03-23-2017), ruechalgrin (03-19-2017), Sitdowndigger (03-19-2017), TA111 (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 03:28 PM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Starters are no that big a deal, especially next year. Minutes at the end of the season will look way different than at the start of the year. It appears all the frosh will be capable, other than the big, and he will see plenty of action with our lack of size.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (03-19-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 03:43 PM

TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
Starters are no that big a deal, especially next year. Minutes at the end of the season will look way different than at the start of the year. It appears all the frosh will be capable, other than the big, and he will see plenty of action with our lack of size.
Lack of size? Next year I see 7', 6'11", 6'8", 2 x 6'7". That's not lack of size, or at least lack of height. Some guys are going to have to bulk up for sure though.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (03-19-2017), SeasonTicketFan (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 03:46 PM
Captain

224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute
To be a realist for a second, why does everyone think MW will be the second coming of Christ? I hope he's a superstar, bu history points to the fact in Archie Millers system, true freshman rarely 'hit the ground running' and make an immediate impact. The one major exception would be Dyshawn Pierre who was starting his freshman year. MW is a 2.5* recruit who is undersized. I'm not bashing him by any means, but to think he's gonna be a stud day 1 is a stretch IMO. The reality is we know little about him however read he's hanging 30pts in high school ball so we think that will translate to immediate success at the college level? Please just keep expectations in check.

The PG situation next year is very much a real concern. Our options are an unproven, undersized 2.5* recruit who will be very raw, or Crosby, who has shown glimpses of being a good player but often times is wildy inconsistent.

This team next year will only go as far as our PG play will take us. We are very, very solid in the 3-5 spots with Cunningham, X, Mikesell, Kostas and Svoboda (remember, Svoboda will be 21 when the season starts so he's hardly a freshman) plus Miller and the freshman Pierce. SG DD will get the majority of the minutes, but PG is a major concern.

While I think we will be good next year and compete for a top-4 spot in the A10, the only thing I'll say is the outlook on next season totally changes IMO if a guy like Jaaron Simmons comes to UD and gives us 30+m at the PG spot. This is a kid who has averaged 7+ APG the past 2 seasons playing 37mpg. The consistency he brings with ability to distribute the ball is what we need. Allow JC to bang down low, while X and Kostas spread the floor with DD sitting in the wing...Simmons will have a field day distributing the ball.

Who knows if we can actually get him as that means someone will have to transfer, but at the end of the day we will only go as far as our PG takes us. You saw it last night with Scoochie.

My starting lineup prediction with first guy off the bench...

PG- Simmons/Crosby (MW off bench)
SG- DD (TL off bench)
F: X (RM off bench)
F: Kostas (Svoboda off bench)
F: JC (Miller off bench)

I think the freshman Pierce, Price and Carter will get the average amt of minutes we have seen freshman get in AM system, 3-8mpg, unless someone transfers.
Mad Props to 224 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 03:54 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,748 Times in 790 Posts
Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Rebounding has been a real issue for the past several years. I don't see that being solved with the likely top 10 in the rotation but think it will be much more of an issue.

Lots of competition for spots could be a good thing but PG will likely be an issue especially early.

20 wins seems to be ceiling and 16-14 could be realistic floor at this point. Lots could change if a Juco or Sr PG or big is added to the already full roster.

One thing that could offset a lot of the weaknesses would be if we had several consistent shooters.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Marysville Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 04:06 PM
Colonel

MikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant future
None of these projected rotations or groupings include Scoochie Smith at point guard, and that makes me sad.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to MikeF For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (03-19-2017), Viperstick (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 06:21 PM

jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan View Post
Lack of size? Next year I see 7', 6'11", 6'8", 2 x 6'7". That's not lack of size, or at least lack of height. Some guys are going to have to bulk up for sure though.
Not sure who is 7', but does not matter. One big kid is a project and the other one is as much a guard as he is a big. The kid from Europe may be a very good player but not an inside rebounder. WSU was not really taller than us but they are big, physical, tough, jump and get position, likewise VCU. It is not about height, it is all about wanting to rebound and having the skill and size to execute.

Our three Soph are mediocre rebounders.

Hopefully Josh recovers, because he is our best hope, outside of unknown frosh.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:46 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan View Post
You forgot 6'9"
Old 03-18-2017, 06:56 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Looking forward to next season but believe NIT will be a stretch. If we make NCAA Arch should be COY again. Too much development expected.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:11 PM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 224 View Post
To be a realist for a second, why does everyone think MW will be the second coming of Christ? I hope he's a superstar, bu history points to the fact in Archie Millers system, true freshman rarely 'hit the ground running' and make an immediate impact. The one major exception would be Dyshawn Pierre who was starting his freshman year. MW is a 2.5* recruit who is undersized. I'm not bashing him by any means, but to think he's gonna be a stud day 1 is a stretch IMO. The reality is we know little about him however read he's hanging 30pts in high school ball so we think that will translate to immediate success at the college level? Please just keep expectations in check.

The PG situation next year is very much a real concern. Our options are an unproven, undersized 2.5* recruit who will be very raw, or Crosby, who has shown glimpses of being a good player but often times is wildy inconsistent.

This team next year will only go as far as our PG play will take us. We are very, very solid in the 3-5 spots with Cunningham, X, Mikesell, Kostas and Svoboda (remember, Svoboda will be 21 when the season starts so he's hardly a freshman) plus Miller and the freshman Pierce. SG DD will get the majority of the minutes, but PG is a major concern.

While I think we will be good next year and compete for a top-4 spot in the A10, the only thing I'll say is the outlook on next season totally changes IMO if a guy like Jaaron Simmons comes to UD and gives us 30+m at the PG spot. This is a kid who has averaged 7+ APG the past 2 seasons playing 37mpg. The consistency he brings with ability to distribute the ball is what we need. Allow JC to bang down low, while X and Kostas spread the floor with DD sitting in the wing...Simmons will have a field day distributing the ball.

Who knows if we can actually get him as that means someone will have to transfer, but at the end of the day we will only go as far as our PG takes us. You saw it last night with Scoochie.

SG- DD (TL off bench)

I think the freshman Pierce, Price and Carter will get the average amt of minutes we have seen freshman get in AM system, 3-8mpg, unless someone transfers.
You have Simmons, where you getting the extra ship, we have no openings
Mad Props to Atlantic 10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Atlantic 10 View Post
You have Simmons, where you getting the extra ship, we have no openings
Only scenario that happens is either someone signed backs out or someone here leaves. Biggest possibility I see would be Sam Miller transferring. I suppose it's also possible Mikesell could drop basketball/scholarship if he's still playing baseball, but don't know that he is.

Otherwise, there's no spot for Simmons.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:40 PM

While we are doing fantasy starters like Simmons, how about getting the X point guard and the WSU guards. We can force three guys to transfer.

I thought Sam Miller transferred a year ago.

Last edited by jack72; 03-18-2017 at 08:42 PM..
Flyer 86 (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 09:13 PM
Brigadier General

springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
To be a realist for a second, why does everyone think MW will be the second coming of Christ? I hope he's a superstar, bu history points to the fact in Archie Millers system, true freshman rarely 'hit the ground running' and make an immediate impact. The one major exception would be Dyshawn Pierre who was starting his freshman year. MW is a 2.5* recruit who is undersized. I'm not bashing him by any means, but to think he's gonna be a stud day 1 is a stretch IMO. The reality is we know little about him however read he's hanging 30pts in high school ball so we think that will translate.

SG- DD (TL off bench)
Have you taken advantage of the opportunities to watch MW play this season? Several of his games have been on the internet. I'm guessing you haven't seen him because he is far from undersized. He has a college ready body and the kid can play! Plus, I've read he is a gym rat so he'll continue to get better.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-19-2017), TA111 (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 09:28 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,229 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by springborofan View Post
Have you taken advantage of the opportunities to watch MW play this season? Several of his games have been on the internet. I'm guessing you haven't seen him because he is far from undersized. He has a college ready body and the kid can play! Plus, I've read he is a gym rat so he'll continue to get better.
I don't see Archie starting a freshman the first game but wouldn't be surprised if MW becomes a starter by A10 play
Old 03-18-2017, 10:14 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,510 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NCkevi View Post
I don't see Archie starting a freshman the first game but wouldn't be surprised if MW becomes a starter by A10 play
Normally I would agree with you, but we don't have a returning pg who has played more than a couple of minutes per game so the position imo is up for grabs.
Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Atlantic 10 (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 10:25 PM
General

Thanked 4,829 Times in 2,232 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
We are going to be a lot better than a lot of people on here think IMO.
I hope so. I believe we're going to really miss Scooch & Kyle more than any of us care to realize.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Viperstick For This Totally Excellent Post:
Fudd (03-19-2017), San Diego Flyer (03-19-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 10:30 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
In Archie i trust.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:41 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
My prediction is that we should all just wait and see who is actually on campus in August.

Is Archie here? Does Svoboda make it through the NCAA clearinghouse? Does anybody get Criped? Do we get any Grad Transfers? Way to many questions to even waste our time with a bunch of hypotheticals at this point.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
TA111 (03-19-2017), ud2 (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 10:57 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know why everyone has NIT aspirations... If Archie is as good a coach as we think he is and has this program where we think he should, we should be competing for an NCAA berth every season. I expect the tournament next year, nothing less. Yes, we're losing a bunch of seniors, but for us to take the next step we need to be reloading instead of rebuilding.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to priceg75 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bonziflyer (03-19-2017), CT Flyer (03-19-2017), flyerfanatic86 (03-20-2017), Gazoo (03-21-2017), TA111 (03-19-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 11:10 PM
Colonel

312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by priceg75 View Post
I don't know why everyone has NIT aspirations... If Archie is as good a coach as we think he is and has this program where we think he should, we should be competing for an NCAA berth every season. I expect the tournament next year, nothing less. Yes, we're losing a bunch of seniors, but for us to take the next step we need to be reloading instead of rebuilding.
You do realize not a single returning player scored more than one basket last night.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to 312to937 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-19-2017), ruechalgrin (03-19-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 11:41 PM
Captain

RamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud of

SG- DD (TL off bench)

Landers is and will never be anything remotely close to a 2 guard.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:42 PM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by C-time View Post
My prediction is that we should all just wait and see who is actually on campus in August.

Is Archie here? Does Svoboda make it through the NCAA clearinghouse? Does anybody get Criped? Do we get any Grad Transfers? Way to many questions to even waste our time with a bunch of hypotheticals at this point.
Or just maybe everyone on the roster, and the incoming frosh, show up and we go forward! Seems like you all want to transform John Crosby into Scoochie Smith.... that ain't happening. BUT... John is a skilled player with a multitude of talents. Just not the same talents that Scoochie had. I trust that Archie will find a way to mold those talents into an important cog in a very successfull team!
Mad Props to TerryK_67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 08:38 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 312to937 View Post
You do realize not a single returning player scored more than one basket last night.
Posted via Mobile Device
If you're fine with settling and expecting less then that's your business. I'm not. I don't think Archie is either.
Mad Props to priceg75 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (03-21-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 08:45 AM

Thanked 6,122 Times in 4,168 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
I am not sure what to expect, but I will not be surprised by anything either. I will not be at all surprised if we make the NCAAT again next year.

We still have arguably the best coach in the A10, and we still have probably the highest average star rating, for the returning players on our roster, in the A10.

And the off-season could bring a lot of twists and turns.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:06 AM
1st Lieutenant

CJ43 is a jewel in the roughCJ43 is a jewel in the roughCJ43 is a jewel in the roughCJ43 is a jewel in the rough
I see ball security as our greatest concern going into next year. Were going to have a bunch of freshman which are going to be prone to making turnovers, especially early in the year.

Also along the same lines who is going to create shots offensively?? Were losing scoochie who was easily our best offensive creator. Who is going to dribble drive and collapse the defense? Crosby is the only guy on the team that can consistently get into the lane and I haven't seen great decision making from him thus far. DD can get into the middle of the lane a little but he has poor handles for a guard and not enough to strength to protect the ball.

Granted its only one game but our returning players went 3-19 against witchita state.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:10 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
next year will be very interesting. i really enjoy watching player improvement and there should be plenty of that next year. the freshmen will receive a lot of playing time which will speed their development. i expect all of the freshman and kostas to contribute

But, i think the key to making the ncaa tournament will be the improvement of davis, crosby, williams, mikesell, miller and landers. all of them need to develop a couple of go to offensive moves so they can score when necessary.

Everyone other than landers needs to be stronger

if the above improvements happen and the newcomers are as good as they seem ud can return to the ncaa tounarment

thomas watson said that it is better to aim for perfection and fail than to aim for imperfection and achieve it. archies' goal will be to make the tournament and win games but expectations are based upon the hand you dealt.

I expect archie will do a great job but one year of not making the tourney would be understandable and i hope spoiled fans will realize that other schools like North carolina have years they fail to make the tournament
Old 03-19-2017, 10:47 AM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,568 Times in 5,077 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Much will be revealed in leaks about the quality of new players in next years pre-season practices. Now, a lot of it is guessing.

The returning players who I believe have proven themselves as NCAA Tournament success level contributors are, IMO:

Cunningham
Williams
Mikesell (I must see more in him than some other posters)

These are guys who have not proven it yet, IMO:

D. Davis
Miller
Landers
Crosby

With a freshman class this large, there will likely be a few players who surprise us in their first year with their ability to contribute right away. I'm optimistic about McKinley Wright after hearing about his high school exploits and gaudy statistics (and watching his very impressive highlights). We really need him to be good because we need a guard floor leader ASAP.

This year, we got killed rebounding against top level teams. Pierce has to be good enough to get very good minutes at some point during the season for us to shake that problem, IMO. That is a tall order, but in the short clippets of him that I have seen on the internet, I'm don't consider him as quite the project that others are making him out to be. Like Big Steve, I think he has the physical tools. Big Steve just got in condition and put the mental pieces of his game together under this coaching staff.

The most fascinating new player at this juncture is Antetokounmpo. Will he turn into the real deal right away? It seems like he has a lot of potential. It's hard not to have high expectations with a guy who has his physical tools.

Then there is the Archie Miller factor. The guy always seems to find a way to win.

Last edited by Fudd; 03-19-2017 at 02:50 PM..
Mad Props to Fudd For This Totally Excellent Post:
Fairborn Fan (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 11:01 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,314 Times in 1,327 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fudd View Post
Much will be revealed in leaks about the quality of new players in next years pre-season practices. Now, a lot of it is guessing.

The returning players who I believe have proven themselves as NCAA Tournament success level contributors are, IMO:

Cunningham
Williams
Mikesell (I must see more in him than some other posters)

These are guys who have not proven it yet, IMO:

D. Davis
Miller
Landers
Crosby

With a freshman class this large, there will likely be a few players who surprise us in their first year with their ability to contribute right away. I'm optimistic about McKinley Wright after hearing about his high school exploits. We really need him to be good because we need a guard floor leader ASAP.

This year, we got killed rebounding against top level teams. Pierce has to be good enough to get very good minutes at some point during the season for us to shake that problem, IMO. That is a tall order, but in the short clippets of him that I have seen on the internet, I'm don't consider him as quite the project that others are making him out to be. Like Big Steve, I think he has the physical tools. Big Steve just got in condition and put the mental pieces of his game together under this coaching staff.

The most fascinating new player at this juncture is Antetokounmpo. Will he turn into the real deal right away? It seems like he has a lot of potential. It's hard not to have high expectations with a guy who has his physical tools.

Then there is the Archie Miller factor. The guy always seems to find a way to win.
The difference I think though between Big Steve and Pierce is that Steve had a year to get in condition and develop. I have trouble believing Pierce is going to be ready next year to contribute anything substantial. I hope I am wrong.
Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 11:18 AM
Commander in Chief

Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
The difference I think though between Big Steve and Pierce is that Steve had a year to get in condition and develop. I have trouble believing Pierce is going to be ready next year to contribute anything substantial. I hope I am wrong.
I don't think that Pierce has the body weight issues that Steve had, so he is closer physically, IMO. Steve came in without knowing how to use his size in division one basketball. I would guess that will be the bigger issue with Pierce. To your point, it took Steve some time to figure out where he should be on how to use his body in college. The year of sitting out helped him in both ways.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:22 AM
Colonel

312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all
If you're fine with settling and expecting less then that's your business. I'm not. I don't think Archie is either.
??? When did I say "I'm fine with settling"? I stated a fact about the lack of production from returning players. Did Archie settle and that's why the Flyers were one and done the last two years? Of course not, but those are the facts.

I want them to be a program that has regular success (regular season and tourney) like Butler, Xavier and Gonzaga. You get better by pushing and not settling - and that includes the fan base/alumni.

The tragedy of Big Steve aside, we should not have the holes we have in our returning talent base. Especially after the spotlight of the Elite 8 run.

Watch the teams we want to emulate. We need to do a better job recruiting on a consistent basis. The incoming class appears to be talented - but I think it will take a year or two for them to develop and gel.
If they work hard and stick together, we very well may be regaling them as the "greatest senior class in UD history" in 2021.I hope so.

Last edited by 312to937; 03-19-2017 at 11:31 AM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to 312to937 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-19-2017), LI Flyer (03-19-2017), springborofan (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 11:34 AM

Thanked 6,616 Times in 3,023 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
You do realize not a single returning player scored more than one basket last night. Posted via Mobile Device
And two of our departing seniors didn't score more than one basket last night. Just saying that one game doesn't mean a whole lot.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (03-21-2017), UDGutter2 (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 11:40 AM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Cool DD is our Senior leader replacing 4 clutch veterans !!!

You know how we closed out tight games this season?

Next season is a whole new deal.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:47 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,328 Times in 1,078 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
And two of our departing seniors didn't score more than one basket last night. Just saying that one game doesn't mean a whole lot.
I don't think a lot of UDPrider give credit to the defensive effort that WSU put on the Flyers. This was easily one of the top 3 defenses we faced all year - possibly the best. After forcing myself to watch the DVR of the game yesterday, I realized even more than I had realized game day, that Cooke was double teamed and hounded nearly the entire game, almost always the defense collapsed around him as he drove the lane. They scouted him very well. Probably one reason why Scootch was given less attention and able to score more freely - which credit to Scootch, he took advantage. WSU realized UD's offense lives and dies around Cooke and they negated him. Interesting to see if UK thrashes WSU or has an "off" day offensively; we'll know very shortly...
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer2 (03-19-2017), flyerfanatic86 (03-20-2017), jack72 (03-19-2017), m21eagle45 (03-19-2017), wes (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 11:57 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

TX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
You know how we closed out tight games this season?

Next season is a whole new deal.
As much as I liked the 4 seniors, clutch is not the word I'd use.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:44 PM
General of the Air Force

UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Cooke could get into the lane at will. an 8' floater would have served him well

Looking forward to an interesting season
Old 03-19-2017, 01:02 PM
Captain

Browns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to behold
I think everyone is assuming Pierce won't be ready because of his high school statistics (I'm not disagreeing, I don't expect much either) but he's not going to be looked at for offense as a freshman so if he gets playing time it's going to be for his defense. He seems to move well for his size so who knows.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:17 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,488 Times in 763 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NCkevi View Post
How do you think the team will look game #1 next season?

Head Coach: Archie - though I think Archie will lose an assistant in the off season

Captains: Cunningham and Davis

Starters:
Crosby
Davis
Antetokounmpo
Cunningham
Williams
Just curious where the loss of an assistant coach comment is coming from??

Also, the PG position will be our achilles heel at least to start the season. We will probably have to work by committee. I think the biggest unknown and potential positive surprise will be Antetokounmpo and Svoboda. If those 2 are the real deal and can contribute game 1, they will cover a multitude of sins and make everyone better. Lots of big (tall) ??????'s.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:45 PM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by N2663R View Post

Also, the PG position will be our achilles heel at least to start the season. We will probably have to work by committee. I think the biggest unknown and potential positive surprise will be Antetokounmpo and Svoboda. If those 2 are the real deal and can contribute game 1, they will cover a multitude of sins and make everyone better. Lots of big (tall) ??????'s.
Kuwick is on a list for Cleveland State job,plus with Hopkins leaving Cuse. Griffin could move back to Cuse or maybe Washington for a asst job

Last edited by Atlantic 10; 03-19-2017 at 01:48 PM..
jack72 (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 02:01 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,461 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
My hope for next year is we go thru a season without any serous injuries or incidents that limit some player or other. I realize it wasnt all injuries, but has Miller ever had a year when he had all his players available to work with?

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 03-19-2017 at 02:37 PM..
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
udx2 (03-20-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 02:14 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by N2663R View Post

I think the biggest unknown and potential positive surprise will be Antetokounmpo and Svoboda. If those 2 are the real deal and can contribute game 1, they will cover a multitude of sins and make everyone better. Lots of big (tall) ??????'s.
Post game comments on Friday nite included Bucky saying that Antetokounmpo needs work on his basketball skills, he has the length and the athleticism. Take that for what it is worth from Bucky's knowledge.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:17 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by NJFlyr71 View Post
Post game comments on Friday nite included Bucky saying that Antetokounmpo needs work on his basketball skills, he has the length and the athleticism. Take that for what it is worth from Bucky's knowledge.
Buck said he could shoot, needs weight
m21eagle45 (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 02:20 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,557 Times in 2,451 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
My hope for next year is we go thru a season without any serous injuries or incidents that limit some player or other. I realize it weren't all injuries, but has Miller ever had a year when he had all his players available to work with?
Maybe his first year, I can't remember any serious injuries.
The only other would be the elite eight year, if you discount that Khari played with serious knee problems to both knees the entire year.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:20 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by NJFlyr71 View Post
Buck said he can shoot, but needs weight
Old 03-19-2017, 02:34 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,993 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
One thing that seems to have been forgotten (or at least shelved for the time being) is how well Archie's offense worked before we had "creators" at PG and SF. They used motion, screens, and crisp passing to get players open for good shots.

I see next year as a "Back To The Future" kind of year, where Archie can reinstall the offense that served us so well in the first 2 years of this 4-year NCAA run. Mikesell, Miller, & Cunningham setting screens that will allow Crosby, Davis, and Williams to get open to receive a well-timed pass and take an open shot. Or, Williams, Davis, & Crosby setting screens so that Mikesell or Miller can get those shots. Or, instead of taking the shot, they feed Cunningham in the post for an 8-foot turnaround J. Lots more options than just a "drive & dish".

There'll be growing pains, certainly. But even if next year ends in the NIT or the CBI, it's still going to be fun watching next year's squad learn & grow. Just so they're peaking in March.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (03-21-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 03:35 PM
Captain

UDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the rough
Unhappy 2017-2018 - Rebounding

Sorry if I did not see this mentioned. Stats for the WS game rebounds us - 29 and rebounds them - 48. I do not see a solid rebounder (unless Cunningham returns to pre-injury rebounding form) on next years team.

If AM leaves Dayton, the inability to get rebounding big men to come here, other than Steve, will be a prime reason. Last time I looked 247 sports had our four recruits for next year rated 104th the country.

This team may compete in the A-10, but we will lose many games by getting out rebounded. Picture what Kentucky, Louisville or Gonzaga would have done to us on the boards.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:00 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I think Kostas early on his impact is gonna be on defense & rebounding. He could really help defending Peyton Aldridge, Tyler Cavanuagh type forwards.

Cunningham if he's healthy I think can be a really good rebounder. I think the front court has some good rebounding potential.

X I'm curious to see what kind of jump he can make it. He really came a long way this year. Can he become the go to guy on offense?

So many unknowns who knows what to expect record wise. Just glad we have the right guy at the helm
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2017, 04:03 PM

I do not think point will be our problem next year. If you watched Wright play, you know he can play at the next level. Our problem will once again be rebounding, and defense. We lose four great defensive players, and have DD as a good defender, that's it.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:11 PM

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device
Realize this, but think outside shot at NCAA. I really think Archie is that good of a coach. Freshman must learn quickly to play his defensive scheme (which is not easy). Kostas, Josh, Sam, Crosby, DD, X, Mikesell, and Landers all a ton of practice under Archie's system. 20 year old from Czech is not a true Freshman with experience.

Gong to be a roller-coaster year, but think they will surprise everyone with 1/3rd chance NCAA, 1/3rd with NIT (so many automatic bids now when win regular season and lose in conference tourney), 1/3rd no post-season as don't think Archie takes CIT/CBI. Oh how times have changed.

Last edited by ruechalgrin; 03-19-2017 at 04:21 PM..
Old 03-19-2017, 04:15 PM
General of the Air Force

I don't think Kostas needs to add more than another 10 pounds to be effective. Did anyone watch the Michigan game and see their tall skinny guy produce the entire game? Kostas's game will not be playing with his back to the basket, he will drive on guys using his quickness. I feel uncomfortable posting this after reading bucky said he needed to bulk up

Speaking of Michigan I was very impressed with their offensive skill. It seemed that every player on the team could put the ball on the floor and create a good shot.

I do agree that the offense will probably feature more movement. But, the good news is that it appears the incoming class has more offensive skills than we are used to.

I'll edit this and say that extra weight might be more important for kostas on the defensive end

Last edited by UDBrian; 03-19-2017 at 04:54 PM..
Old 03-19-2017, 04:44 PM

You hope Kostas can be like Wagner, or the AZ kid or the UCLA freshman. None are bulky kids, but they are tall and have inside and outside skills, are tough and see the floor well.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:54 PM

If you don't think a freshman can play the point, we just played Shamet, who was not highly rated or recruited, and he is very good. Watch the X freshman, who was recruited by many, but not the top tier. He is very good.
Flyer 86 (03-20-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 04:57 PM
1st Lieutenant

sabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to all
I think we will lose more points and experience than any team in the country. Crosby is the natural selection for starting PG next year and he shot 33% from the field and 45% from the foul line with an unattractive assist to turnover ratio. In important games the coach used him sparingly. Our presumed starter at shooting guard is DD. He shot 34% for the year. I hope Josh can make a full recovery, he appears to be at around 75% right now. XWand MS are not penetrators and must depend on others for their shots. Landers is an unknown. All we really know is that the coach didn't play him except with walkons.
I recognize that improved play is possible but existing players will have difficulty breaking even. The incoming players will have openings and opportunities. I hope for an exciting rebuilding year with a lot of new faces.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:45 PM

Thanked 2,377 Times in 809 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
If the reports are true that Kostas put on 15 pounds of muscle since he began practicing with the team, that puts him at about 205. On a 6-11 frame, that's still way too skinny. I'm guessing his orders are to put on at least another 10-15 pounds in the off-season. My personal belief is we'll see our first real impact freshman since Pierre if we see him check in next season at at least 215 pounds.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:50 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Only one recruit of Archie's who spent 3 years here hasn't been starter at least for one of their seasons. And that's Gavrilovic. I don't believe AM has had a scholarship senior that didn't start either(Vee was starter his Junior year and was certainly good enough to start his senior season). So it tells me that AM plans way ahead. When he's going to need a starter, he has one ready. And correct me if I'm wrong, no lower classman has ever passed someone with seniority on the depth chart. Not saying it can't happen, just that AM has done a phenomenal job keeping these players developing that they stay ahead of their younger teammates.

This tells me AM is probably going to depend heavily on 9 or 10 players next season, the 7 returning players, his redshirt freshman and his only other PG, Wright. Maybe Svaboda also.

So, starting lineup might be DD, both JCs, XW and either RM or Kostas. Heck, Sam Miller might be ready to take over inside(obviously it's going to take a Chris Daniels level of improvement).

However it works out, I'm not worried. I think AM has had a plan all along. But it's obvious when you have 4 senior starters, the minutes for the sophomores is going to be minimal. And let's face it, they will all look better because they've been working with each other for 2 seasons. The situation though was while they probably know each other on the practice court very well, when it came to real game time, they were never all on the court together.

What's really going to be interesting is how AM's strategy changes. I cannot see this team being the transition team it has been. Other than Crosby, the speed isn't there I don't think.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:58 PM

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
ESPN Insider Take on Dayton for 2017-2018.

"Trending: Level. With the losses of Smith, Cooke, Pollard and Davis, the first thought is to drop the Flyers a couple notches. But as long as Archie Miller is on the sideline, Dayton will be a threat in the A-10. The incoming freshmen should keep this team competitive in the league."

Very high on Matej Svoboda.

Supposedly behind paywall, but seems like can access without subscription.

http://www.espn.com/blog/ncbrecruiti.../post?id=16821
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bonziflyer (03-19-2017), ClaytonFlyerFan (03-19-2017), FLYER5 (03-19-2017), fuz_forward (03-20-2017), LI Flyer (03-19-2017), Smitty10 (03-19-2017), ud2 (03-21-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 06:54 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by ruechalgrin View Post
ESPN Insider Take on Dayton for 2017-2018.

"Trending: Level. With the losses of Smith, Cooke, Pollard and Davis, the first thought is to drop the Flyers a couple notches. But as long as Archie Miller is on the sideline, Dayton will be a threat in the A-10. The incoming freshmen should keep this team competitive in the league."

Very high on Matej Svoboda.

Supposedly behind paywall, but seems like can access without subscription.

http://www.espn.com/blog/ncbrecruiti.../post?id=16821
See the link below for a game from Svoboda - a did not watch all of it but here are my thoughts:

1. First, I can't even describe the level of basketball they are playing (or trying to play).
2. He can shoot. Very nice stroke.
3. He is softer than a baby's ***. Watch him try to "fight" through screens or box out. Does not like contact.
4. Maybe it's a Euro thing and he will adapt to US game. But if he doesn't,I can't see him getting much playing time with Archie.
http://www.fiba.com/europe/u20/2016/...Czech-Republic
Old 03-19-2017, 07:19 PM
General of the Air Force

TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
See the link below for a game from Svoboda - a did not watch all of it but here are my thoughts:

1. First, I can't even describe the level of basketball they are playing (or trying to play).
3. He is softer than a baby's ***. Watch him try to "fight" through screens or box out. Does not like contact.
4. Maybe it's a Euro thing and he will adapt to US game. But if he doesn't,I can't see him getting much playing time with Archie.
I suggest you watch Lari Markkinen at AZ. He too was thought to be too soft as a Euro player, but in his first year he is one of the top players in the country. Svoboda is going to get a lot of playing time.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Atlantic 10 (03-19-2017), jack72 (03-19-2017), ruechalgrin (03-20-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 08:07 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,993 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute

If there's a coach who can toughen-up a player without radically changing his entire game, I'm confident it's Archie. The majority of this board never thought DD would become a good defender, but he was pretty good at that end of the court this year.

Patience, folks. Next year will be rough to begin with, but I'm looking forward to seeing how this squad comes together by mid-February.
Posted via Mobile Device
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-22-2017), Gazoo (03-21-2017), jack72 (03-19-2017), ruechalgrin (03-20-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 08:10 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
If there's a coach who can toughen-up a player without radically changing his entire game, I'm confident it's Archie. The majority of this board never thought DD would become a good defender, but he was pretty good at that end of the court this year.

Patience, folks. Next year will be rough to begin with, but I'm looking forward to seeing how this squad comes together by mid-February.
Posted via Mobile Device
Good point on DD.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2017, 08:55 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,488 Times in 763 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Atlantic 10 View Post
Kuwick is on a list for Cleveland State job,plus with Hopkins leaving Cuse. Griffin could move back to Cuse or maybe Washington for a asst job
About Cleveland State. That is a dumpster fire. Kuwick can do way better than that. Consider this, they play in the Wolstein Center which was built in 1986 on the heals of Kevin Mack's run. It seats 13,610 and they have draped it off for years so it now seats 8500. CSU averaged 1400 fans at home last year. The Wolstein Center loses about $1.5 million a year and the trustees are looking to tear it down an move the team back to Woodling Gym which seats less than 1000. They are not moving in the right direction.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:06 PM
Major General

m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute

He may not like contact, but in the game you linked, he was 10/12 from the field, 5/7 from 3, 3/3 from the line and had 28 points. He also had 5 rebounds that game. He doesn't have to guard the other teams best player, just match him up with somebody out there and hopefully his scoring ability will outweigh his defense. Some coaches I know have said Dayton got a steal. He blew up late in the process, and Dayton was on him at the right time to sign him.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-20-2017), jack72 (03-19-2017), ruechalgrin (03-20-2017), Wallage (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 09:16 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by Browns View Post
I think everyone is assuming Pierce won't be ready because of his high school statistics (I'm not disagreeing, I don't expect much either) but he's not going to be looked at for offense as a freshman so if he gets playing time it's going to be for his defense. He seems to move well for his size so who knows.
I don't think that Pierce has the body weight issues that Steve had, so he is closer physically, IMO. Steve came in without knowing how to use his size in division one basketball. I would guess that will be the bigger issue with Pierce. To your point, it took Steve some time to figure out where he should be on how to use his body in college. The year of sitting out helped him in both ways.
One of my very good friends is a DIII coach in NJ. He was at a game recruiting a teammate of Pierce, but I talked to him about Jordan.

The Good:
-Super Athletic for his size.
-Very quick second jump
-Good Rim protector even as a freshman will be able to protect the rim
-Good footwork and motor on defense.
-Soft hands

The Bad:
-Lacks the ability to do much more than dunks and put backs right now. (Said you can tell he never played until high school but is very talented)
-Needs to get a little stronger with the basketball
-Needs to be a more consistent rebounder
-Very Raw

That is just his take. He thought Jordan has a chance to be a really good player. He is definitely a project on the offensive side of the ball, but can more than hold his own on defense. He thought he was a great fit for Archie's system, especially if he is given a few years to develop.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Fudd (03-20-2017), Gazoo (03-21-2017), jack72 (03-19-2017), ruechalgrin (03-20-2017), Wallage (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 09:35 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by m21eagle45 View Post
One of my very good friends is a DIII coach in NJ. He was at a game recruiting a teammate of Pierce, but I talked to him about Jordan.

The Good:
-Very quick second jump
-Soft hands

The Bad:
-Lacks the ability to do much more than dunks and put backs right now. (Said you can tell he never played until high school but is very talented)
-Very Raw

That is just his take. He thought Jordan has a chance to be a really good player. He is definitely a project on the offensive side of the ball, but can more than hold his own on defense. He thought he was a great fit for Archie's system, especially if he is given a few years to develop.
The key is his hands and the fact that he can move. Bill Walton mentioned that the first thing he looks for,in a big man is his hands. This kid has a ton of upside.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:37 PM
Brigadier General

Purely hypothetical and not trying to kick up dust but I pose the following question: would you trade 2 years of John Crosby for 1 year of Jarron Simmons?

I don't think I would. Yes, JC had some difficult moments this year but you can see the talent just waiting to bust through. I'm very high on McKinley Wright but I think better days are ahead for Mr. Crosby.
Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
TerryK_67 (03-20-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 10:36 PM
1st Lieutenant

Wallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant future
Purely hypothetical and not trying to kick up dust but I pose the following question: would you trade 2 years of John Crosby for 1 year of Jarron Simmons?

I don't think I would. Yes, JC had some difficult moments this year but you can see the talent just waiting to bust through. I'm very high on McKinley Wright but I think better days are ahead for Mr. Crosby.
I've been hearing Simmons name on here for awhile now. Didnt know a ton about him so I looked him up. Based on his stats over the last 2 years I definitely would trade 1 year of him for 2 of Crosby. I know it's in the MAC but he's put up great numbers. Too good to pass up those proven numbers on what will be a young and mostly unproven team.

I agree John has potential if he can put it all together. I hope he does, whether it's at Dayton or somewhere else
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Wallage For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-20-2017), jerseyflyer09 (03-20-2017), rollo (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 10:38 AM
Commander in Chief

I have no deeper insight on Svoboda, but I have a hard time believing that Miller would give up that 13th scholarship without strong belief that it was for a guy that UD could not pass up.

It seems like that last scholarship is usually held in reserve for a transfer or pick-up that is blue-chip in nature.
Mad Props to Fudd For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-22-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 11:40 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TA111 View Post
The key is his hands and the fact that he can move. Bill Walton mentioned that the first thing he looks for,in a big man is his hands. This kid has a ton of upside.
Well if Bill Walton says so.........
Old 03-20-2017, 11:53 AM
1st Lieutenant

jerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to behold
yes, absolutely give 2 years of crosby for one of simmons, especially with MK coming in. A year for him to share minutes with an experienced 5th year and then take control his sophomore year sounds similar to another 3 star point guard we recently had.
Mad Props to jerseyflyer09 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 11:59 AM
Major General

I honestly would take 2 years of Crosby. He did improve as the year went on, even though some on here will not admit it. Also, for some guys, once it becomes their team, they settle down and play better basketball. Last 2 years, it was Scooch's team with Crosby trying to fit in. Now that it is his team, he can relax and play his game. I think he deserves to get that chance.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:00 PM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute

The Good:
-Very quick second jump
-Soft hands

The Bad:
-Very Raw

Sounds like Steve
Old 03-20-2017, 12:02 PM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
if Archie believes Crosby can handle 15 minutes a game it can work. Wright will get the other 25.

Crosby main problem is that he pushes the ball into bad situations. He needs to learn patience and run the offense. I don't know how often he was shooting but it was a lot more than Scoochie.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:06 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,763 Times in 928 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
If the team remains as is with Archie, this is what I think:

PG - Crosby and Wright essentially split minutes, with Darrell getting a few as well

G: Darrel starts with Landers, J. Davis and Svoboda getting minutes

W: Mikesell starts with Svoboda, Landers, Williams, and Kostas all getting minutes here

Bigs: Cunningham and Williams with Miller and Kostas getting decent minutes and Pierce some just because of his size

Crosby: 20, Wright: 15, D. Davis:5
D. Davis: 15, J. Davis: 10, Svoboda: 10, Landers: 5
Mikesell: 15, Kostas: 10, Landers: 10, Svoboda: 5
Williams: 25, Kostas: 10, Cunningham: 5
Cunningham: 15, Miller: 15, Pierce: 10
Old 03-20-2017, 12:30 PM
Colonel

Gilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud of
Carter fits in at the SG and SF spot as well
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2017, 12:32 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by Sea Bass View Post
if Archie believes Crosby can handle 15 minutes a game it can work. Wright will get the other 25.

Crosby main problem is that he pushes the ball into bad situations. He needs to learn patience and run the offense. I don't know how often he was shooting but it was a lot more than Scoochie.
People keep saying that, but it is not true. Scoochie took 9.7 shots in 31.3 minutes per game. Crosby took 3.1 for 13.3 minutes a game. If you average that by shots per minute that is .31 shots for Scoochie and .23 for Crosby. Maybe I did my math wrong, but it seems Scoochie shot more by a pretty large margin.

Last edited by m21eagle45; 03-20-2017 at 12:35 PM..
Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 01:25 PM
General of the Air Force

People keep saying that, but it is not true. Scoochie took 9.7 shots in 31.3 minutes per game. Crosby took 3.1 for 13.3 minutes a game. If you average that by shots per minute that is .31 shots for Scoochie and .23 for Crosby. Maybe I did my math wrong, but it seems Scoochie shot more by a pretty large margin.
I think it's the perception that JC shot more because his shooting was so woeful-33% from the field and 45% from the FT line.
Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
PFlyer (03-23-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 01:53 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TA111 View Post
I think it's the perception that JC shot more because his shooting was so woeful-33% from the field and 45% from the FT line.
It seems that when JC enters the game he makes sure he gets one shot off within the first few minutes. And they're not usually good shots. Scooch can go almost a full half without shooting when he finds better options and then when he does shoot, he shoots in bunches. And usually you don't question his selection.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:13 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
It seems that when JC enters the game he makes sure he gets one shot off within the first few minutes. And they're not usually good shots. Scooch can go almost a full half without shooting when he finds better options and then when he does shoot, he shoots in bunches. And usually you don't question his selection.
I believe you mean "seconds" because it's usually much closer to within 60 seconds of both real time and basketball time..He ain't shy....
Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 02:20 PM
General

Originally Posted by steve View Post
I believe you mean "seconds" because it's usually much closer to within 60 seconds of both real time and basketball time..He ain't shy....
I did mean seconds but I was afraid that someone would post all the games that it took him 95 seconds to shoot his first shot to try and prove me wrong.

And then Figgie would have to get involved and he probably has better things to do

Last edited by Smitty10; 03-20-2017 at 02:23 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-20-2017), Figgie123 (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 04:18 PM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
I have no deeper insight on Svoboda, but I have a hard time believing that Miller would give up that 13th scholarship without strong belief that it was for a guy that UD could not pass up.

It seems like that last scholarship is usually held in reserve for a transfer or pick-up that is blue-chip in nature.
I concur with FUDD, here. Archie sees something in the eastern european dude. Although i temper myself with Archie being sold on Detwon Rogers. That did mot work out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Fudd; 03-20-2017 at 10:25 PM.. Reason: Fixed quote problem
Mad Props to Buckleyma For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 04:29 PM
General

[QUOTE=Buckleyma;497623]

I concur with FUDD, here. Archie sees something in the eastern european dude. Although i temper myself with Archie being sold on Detwon Rogers. That did mot work out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Agree. I would however say that AM wasn't necessarily looking for potential superstar with that final scholarship, he was most likely looking for another guard. We really only have 4 returning next season and will have to replace one of those the following season. That's problematic to me, but as you both said, for AM to decide it was worth taking the chance of a bench short of guards, Svaboda must look like quite a prize to him.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:07 PM
2nd Lieutenant

TMPH66 is just really niceTMPH66 is just really niceTMPH66 is just really niceTMPH66 is just really niceTMPH66 is just really nice
Just think what it will say to future targets if AM drops Crosby for Simmons. Do you say to recruits "We want you till a better option comes along then we will drop you."
Old 03-20-2017, 06:18 PM

I initially thanked you, and I hope what you say is true, but I present Trey Landers as exhibit A.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:26 PM
Major General

I initially thanked you, and I hope what you say is true, but I present Trey Landers as exhibit A.
Landers didn't take the last scholarship last year, Kostas did.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Atlantic 10 (03-20-2017), jack72 (03-21-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 06:32 PM

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TMPH66 View Post
Just think what it will say to future targets if AM drops Crosby for Simmons. Do you say to recruits "We want you till a better option comes along then we will drop you."
It's pretty much understood that if you want to improve, it starts with better recruits...so yes, I want all UD players to know next year's class will be better than yours...and so will the following class. And I expect the players to want that situation. Otherwise you get worse.
Bonziflyer (03-20-2017), priceg75 (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 06:40 PM
Captain

RamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud of
You are the biggest idiot on this board. You contribute next to nothing and your knowledge of the game is atrocious. Archie has and never will never play more than 10 guys, especially if all of them have experience. I cant wait to watch Trey develop into a bigger beast than he already is so I can watch you eat your words for the next 3 years.

You said the same stuff about X and other players in the past. Pollard, KD the list goes on and on when these guys were younger. Quit drinking all of that hater-ade

Last edited by RamodWaleskowski; 03-20-2017 at 06:44 PM..
Mad Props to RamodWaleskowski For This Totally Excellent Post:
Atlantic 10 (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 08:11 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,020 Times in 479 Posts
Flyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant future
We have taken so much for granted over the past few years in terms of our guard play. We will have lost a PG that knew how to take care of the basketball, could create his own shot, finish at the rim, and was happy to distribute and spread the wealth around. We also will have lost a shooting guard who was our best defender since london warren, a great rebounder, and had the heart of a lion. These things will not be easily replaced.

Cooke was one of the best all-around players we've had since I've followed the flyers. Could shoot from deep and mid range, drive, and was an all-league defender. There's going to be a big drop off in those three spots in particular. Pollard was a classic tweener and was a mismatch nightmare. But i think replacing his contributions will be a little easier than the other three.

I've seen one game of pierce's online, and it left me a little worried. Granted, it was one game. But i have some concerns with his effort level and his motor. He didn't play hard. Didn't block out. Didn't defend well. Didn't post up hard against kids who were clearly overmatched physically. I think he's a big body that Archie may turn into a good player. But i don't think he's going to contribute right away.

I think svoboda will give us good minutes and be someone who can create his own shot, which is something we will sorely miss next year.

My starters come A10 time: McKinley Wright, Darryl Davis, Antekuompo or Svoboda at the 3, XW, Cunningham. That's a pretty good five. But not a ton of experience. I think if we manage to win 20 games next year it will be a huge accomplishment. I'm betting we win 16 to 18 games.

Last edited by Flyer'95; 03-20-2017 at 08:18 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer'95 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-20-2017), San Diego Flyer (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 08:58 PM
Captain

Originally Posted by Flyer'95 View Post
We have taken so much for granted over the past few years in terms of our guard play. We will have lost a PG that knew how to take care of the basketball, could create his own shot, finish at the rim, and was happy to distribute and spread the wealth around. We also will have lost a shooting guard who was our best defender since london warren, a great rebounder, and had the heart of a lion. These things will not be easily replaced.

Cooke was one of the best all-around players we've had since I've followed the flyers. Could shoot from deep and mid range, drive, and was an all-league defender. There's going to be a big drop off in those three spots in particular. Pollard was a classic tweener and was a mismatch nightmare. But i think replacing his contributions will be a little easier than the other three.

I've seen one game of pierce's online, and it left me a little worried. Granted, it was one game. But i have some concerns with his effort level and his motor. He didn't play hard. Didn't block out. Didn't defend well. Didn't post up hard against kids who were clearly overmatched physically. I think he's a big body that Archie may turn into a good player. But i don't think he's going to contribute right away.

I think svoboda will give us good minutes and be someone who can create his own shot, which is something we will sorely miss next year.

My starters come A10 time: McKinley Wright, Darryl Davis, Antekuompo or Svoboda at the 3, XW, Cunningham. That's a pretty good five. But not a ton of experience. I think if we manage to win 20 games next year it will be a huge accomplishment. I'm betting we win 16 to 18 games.
Anything less than 20 wins and shot at the NCAA is a let down next year. The program is at new heights, every year regardless of turnover should be NCAA or bust.

I have faith in the coaching staff and players to get it done.

If you are happy with 15-18 wins and the possibility of the NIT than you should probably collect your participation award and become a lawn darts fan.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to RamodWaleskowski For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-20-2017), Gazoo (03-21-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 10:18 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RamodWaleskowski View Post
Anything less than 20 wins and shot at the NCAA is a let down next year. The program is at new heights, every year regardless of turnover should be NCAA or bust.

If you are happy with 15-18 wins and the possibility of the NIT than you should probably collect your participation award and become a lawn darts fan.
Absolutely. We should all feel this way. It can happen.

Gold star here.
Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 10:37 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by RamodWaleskowski View Post

I get so sick of the false choice propagated by some on this board. Just because someone believes the team will be down some next year does not mean anyone is happy about it. So, stop being so **** lazy with your debating skills by trying to put words in someone's mouth.

Take the time to prove your point: For example, explain to me how next year's team replaces over 65% of the scoring? Provide evidence that the newcomers or existing players will replace the top two defenders (both first team A10). Outline how JC will capably fill in for a three year starting point guard? Less tangible, but just as important, who are the leaders next year? Darrell Davis? Give me your reasoning to believe he will be the leader that Scoochie and Kyle Daivis were!

I'm waiting for your answers. In the interim, stop the BS. All your happy talk about how the program has "reached new heights" won't help the five on the floor when they are down four points with three minutes to go at a hostile environment in Philadelphia or Richmond.

I guarantee you that I'm as passionate about the flyers as anyone and, OF COURSE, I wouldn't be satisfied with 18 wins next year. But this isn't some **** safe zone where "nary is heard a discouraging word" so please STOP with the "go ahead and be satisfied with 18 wins" crap.
Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
sopaw10 (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 10:40 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,314 Times in 1,327 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sea Bass View Post
Sounds like Steve
Except for all of Steve's rawness he still averaged a double-double his senior year in high school and then had a year to develop before having to take the court as a Flyer.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:05 PM

Trey is going to shock some UD fans in a very good way.
He is going to earn major minutes before ooc is over.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
MikeFlyer (03-21-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 11:18 PM
Captain

hoch21 is a splendid one to beholdhoch21 is a splendid one to beholdhoch21 is a splendid one to beholdhoch21 is a splendid one to beholdhoch21 is a splendid one to beholdhoch21 is a splendid one to beholdhoch21 is a splendid one to behold
No way that'll happen. ^
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to hoch21 For This Totally Excellent Post:
momszer (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 11:27 PM
General

I get so sick of the false choice propagated by some on this board. Just because someone believes the team will be down some next year does not mean anyone is happy about it. So, stop being so **** lazy with your debating skills by trying to put words in someone's mouth.

Take the time to prove your point: For example, explain to me how next year's team replaces over 65% of the scoring? Provide evidence that the newcomers or existing players will replace the top two defenders (both first team A10). Outline how JC will capably fill in for a three year starting point guard? Less tangible, but just as important, who are the leaders next year? Darrell Davis? Give me your reasoning to believe he will be the leader that Scoochie and Kyle Daivis were!

I'm waiting for your answers. In the interim, stop the BS. All your happy talk about how the program has "reached new heights" won't help the five on the floor when they are down four points with three minutes to go at a hostile environment in Philadelphia or Richmond.

I guarantee you that I'm as passionate about the flyers as anyone and, OF COURSE, I wouldn't be satisfied with 18 wins next year. But this isn't some **** safe zone where "nary is heard a discouraging word" so please STOP with the "go ahead and be satisfied with 18 wins" crap.
All good points. And yes, absolutely, someone predicting an NIT year is not saying they don't want better.

In answer to your questions, players are not going be replaced in their roles. I mean, you can't just pull another real good team and go through their starting lineup and say so-and-so is: their Pollard, their Kyle, their Scoochie, their Cooke. Teams are made up totally different from one to the next.

Next years team is going to look very different. However, personally, I find it hard to believe AM didn't have a plan. Whether he feels that plan is on track is the question. We do have 6 returning upperclassmen. I've never seen any sign that AM is disappointed in their progress. Sure they didn't look as great as Scooch, Kyle and Kendall did their sophomore season but they didn't have the opportunities to look that good due to being blocked from the amount of playing time that those 3 got due to many factors. Remember, Kendall Pollard didn't get all his playing time in his sophomore year because he did something to earn it, he got it because of default and he made the most of it. I can see that happening to those 6 next season.

I add in that AM probably feels he's improved as a recruiter in each of his seasons of experience and that now we'll see if that's true.

As far as leadership goes, the cream will rise to the top. Heck, I could never picture DMO being the leader he turned out to be.

Next season we start a new era with a new makeup of a team. We will have size. I think Kostas might have the kind of potential you see on a top 10 team. It excites me to no end to have a 6'10 player who is quick athletic and can hit jump shots while not playing the 5 position. Returning XW and his length and outside shooting ability only adds to my excitement. I see a team that won't have to get pushed around on the inside and might actually be as good if not better from the outside.

Defensively, we will not be as good with our turnover ratio. Less steals but probably our opponents will be the ones having to live more from 3 point land.

Now most of what I've pointed to probably relates to when the incoming players get enough experience, but that's top 10 type of potential I was referring to. I can see this team being good enough to garner an 11 seed in the tourney next season. I can certainly see us winning 20 games are more.

Will it happen? Don't know but think there's a pretty good chance based on AM's track record. And you know what else I predict, if we go into our conference part of the schedule with 3 losses or less(which seems to happen every season regardless how it ultimately turns out), you are going to have dreams of another NCAA appearance also.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
springborofan (03-21-2017)