UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball > Archived Seasonal Match Threads > 2014 Match Threads

2014 Match Threads Discussion specific to game day and in-game opponents on the schedule.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 08-30-2014, 06:05 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Dayton vs MTS

Flyers take set 1 - 25-23 - after trailing 17-20
Flyers take set 2 - 25-22 - after trailing 20-21
Flyers take set 3 - 25-14 - lead wire to wire - running off 8 straight points on Turner's serve mid way through the set

Stealing that first set was huge - as MTS finally ran out of gas in that third set.They had a tough 5 set match against BG immediately before playing us.

Last edited by ud69; 08-30-2014 at 07:06 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
College B-Ball Fan (08-30-2014), Lifelong Flyer Fan (08-30-2014)
Advertisement
Old 08-30-2014, 07:05 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Nice way to fight back after a horrible match against Pitt. First two sets were dog fights but the third was a no contest as MTS didn't have enough left in the tank after their five game match earlier in the day.

Ladies have to feel good with the overall results with a freshman setter and outside hitter.
Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (08-30-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 08:49 PM
Captain

HansMoleman has a spectacular aura aboutHansMoleman has a spectacular aura aboutHansMoleman has a spectacular aura about
One for the record books, as it was win 1000 for the program
Mad Props to HansMoleman For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (08-30-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 10:23 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,173 Times in 2,321 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Continuing on the 1000 mark, Janna Krafka wrapped up today's game with her career 1,000th dig as well. Still 14th all-time.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:50 PM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
Bowling Green and MTSU are generally strong volleyball programs. With those two wins on the road and neutral court respectively, it's a pretty good weekend. I love the Dayton "never give up attitude". Tough start against bowling green, but Dayton wins the match. Tough loss against Pitt and then Dayton beats MTSU with tough sets 1 and 2. Coach Horsmon is a great motivator. So fun to watch him get 150% out of his team. Congrats to Dayton on 1,000 wins!!! So proud to be a Flyer!

And overall the A-10 looks pretty wide open. Duquesne (Cincy, Xavier, UC Irvine) and VCU (Colorado St. & Marq.) opened on the road with challenging schedules but have no wins to show for it. GW had a semi-challenging schedule at home against Auburn, Arkansas St, and North Dakota and have three wins. I think these four teams could beat each other up. Watch out for Rhode Islamd too. They got 3/3 wins in Delaware vs Delaware, Loyola I'll., and Albany. Delaware and Albany are normally good and Loyola I'll is at least from the midwest and should be fairly strong in a good recruiting area.

La Salle got two wins and improved in each match. The competition was poor but they did make progress. For the A-10's sake, let's hope the progress la Salle made was more than coincidence and hopefully related to their new coach.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thank you ud69 for the match description.

Last edited by udisit19; 08-30-2014 at 11:52 PM..
Mad Props to udisit19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud69 (08-30-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 12:12 AM
Captain

HansMoleman has a spectacular aura aboutHansMoleman has a spectacular aura aboutHansMoleman has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by udisit19 View Post
La Salle got two wins and improved in each match.
I half thought that text from you was a joke. Just looked at their schedule. Not sure if I've heard of half the schools on their non-con
Old 08-31-2014, 02:31 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,163 Times in 5,120 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Its LaSalle. Any win for them is a reason to celebrate.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
"Yeah....220, 221, whatever it takes." - Jack Butler (Mr. Mom)
Old 09-02-2014, 03:40 PM
Captain

Scout86 has a spectacular aura aboutScout86 has a spectacular aura aboutScout86 has a spectacular aura about
Going to my first dayton volleyball game this Friday night....read that one of the best hitters is #10 to watch......game is against Nebraska......are they any good?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Scout86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
College B-Ball Fan (09-02-2014), keats '91 (09-02-2014)
Old 09-02-2014, 04:20 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

keats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond repute
Scout,

You will enjoy the game. Very nice atmosphere.
Nebraska is one of top teams in country this year. Should be a very good test.
My girl plays for Miamisburg Middleschool and the team is planning to attend. I would guess many local HS and MS teams would be there.

Enjoy your first... hopefully it is a successful Flyer upset win.
Go Flyers ....
Old 09-02-2014, 04:33 PM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
To answer your questions Scout,

Yes. Nebraska is good. They have one of the best programs in the country and Dayton is lucky to have a team like this coming to play in Dayton. Nebraska has two losses but don't let that fool you, they have already played Stanford and Florida State, teams that are ranked 3rd and 13th respectively. I'm very jealous, I wish I could be at this match.

About #10 Alaina Turner, she is a good player for this team and will most likely see the most offensive touches. But one of the good things about volleyball, much like basketball, is that there aren't too many players on the court at one time. You should get a chance to watch and focus in on a few players. Frericks is a great venue. Every seat is close to the court and the game should be easy to follow. Have fun!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-02-2014, 06:17 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,413 Times in 2,485 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Also watch #18 - Janna Krafka, our Libero. She only plays back row -- so you won't see her above the net pounding kills or stuff blocking the opponent's attack -- but she will do the most difficult things on the court and do them well. Take serve receive -- she will be in the back row for every serve. Now teams will serve AWAY from her -- need I say more on that subject -- when you are really good they tend to not give you too many touches. But she will also dig a bunch of kills and get the ball to our setter so that the setter has 3-4 hitter options on any given play.

Janna is very, very good and when she is on she makes it so easy for the setter and hitters to score.

Also -- does anyone know if Horsmon is going to do pre-match Chalk Talks?? I hope so -- and if so I would STRONGLY urge you to attend these before the match if at all possible. You will get some insight into what NE does well, what UD will try to do to stop them and what UD will try to do to score, etc. They really add to the experience of attending the match.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 09-02-2014 at 06:20 PM..
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (09-02-2014)
Old 09-02-2014, 06:32 PM
Captain

jmitch will become famous soon enoughjmitch will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Scout86 View Post
Going to my first dayton volleyball game this Friday night....read that one of the best hitters is #10 to watch......game is against Nebraska......are they any good?
Scout, our family follows vball as well as football. Vball games are always exciting and the vball team is a perennial NCAA tourney team (with the exception of last year). It is not uncommon for the football team to show up for part of a vball game when the football team has a Saturday home game. I am hoping that they will be there because they bring a lot of excitement to the Frericks Center.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-02-2014, 08:14 PM
Captain

Scout86 has a spectacular aura aboutScout86 has a spectacular aura aboutScout86 has a spectacular aura about
Jmitch, I asked my son who's dating one of the volleyball players if he would be there and he said no that they had a team function Friday night that they were required to attend.....in other words....lockdown.
Mad Props to Scout86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jmitch (09-03-2014)
Old 09-02-2014, 09:29 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,413 Times in 2,485 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
One other thing to look for Friday -- I paid the $8 to SEE the BG match. I noticed TH has the team running what I call a "tandem hitter" offense. It's probably not really called that. I just call it that because we have rental properties and one of our houses has a "tandem 2 car garage". That's a garage with one garage door, but it holds 2 cars parked one behind the other.

Dayton was running this type of attack. The US National Team runs these sets too. A couple years ago I posted I thought UD should put in these plays. So you will see the setter facing the left side OH - her natural setting position. And you will see the MB close to the setter and pretty close to the net. Right behind her -- approximately just behind the 10' line there will be an OH. The setter will either set the quick 1 ball to the MB trying to beat the block with a quick attack. Or, the setter will wait until the MB is in the air -- with the block up thinking she is getting the set -- but the setter waits and sets the OH coming behind the MB and by the time the OH hits the ball -- the block is on it's way down and the OH has an open net.

Like I said, you see this A LOT in the pro international game and the US National/Olympic team runs it both in front of the setter and behind the setter. It's tough to defend if the setter does a good job.

Also noticed during the BG match we did not run the slide expect about 2 times. We will need to get the slide going against NE -- because it too is hard to block. The blockers simply don't know exactly were the ball will travel over the net -- so it's hard to set the block. You do see blocks on slides -- but they are usually when the setter puts up a bad set and the hitter has no pray. You also see that on the 1-ball quick sets. If the block guesses right -- the hitter has no pray.