UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball > Archived Seasonal Match Threads > 2010 Match Threads

2010 Match Threads Discussion specific to game day and in-game opponents on the schedule.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 10-31-2010, 12:44 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,461 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
GW2 Thread

Starts in about 20 minutes. After a good X match, we need to come back strong in this one. We do that we will dominate with a 3-0 sweep. I think GW has lost 3 in a row beginning with our sweep of them at Frericks.
Advertisement
Old 10-31-2010, 01:46 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Set 1 - 25-23 Flyers. Gametracker had it 26-22 at one point.
Set 2 - 25-19 Flyers
Set 3 - 25-20 GDub
Set 4 - 25-12 Flyers

Musties sweep second place Billikens today. Flyers now have a 3 game lead on everyone else in the conference with 4 matches left - and facing La Salle on Friday night at Frericks. Gotta like our odds for another A-10 title.

Last edited by ud69; 10-31-2010 at 03:26 PM..
Old 10-31-2010, 03:21 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
ud69 - you are correct in that GT is off not only on score, but on stats. Case in point, they have UD winning the final set 24-12. They are missing Becky's overpass kill. I only keep Becky's stats, and they are WAY off this match. But you have to believe that means other player's stats are wrong too.

I had Becky's hitting as 13-1-30. GT has 12-1-28. They are missing the overpass kill in the 4th and one other swing she took, but didn't score. I also have her with 7 blocks. She had 1 block in the 4th they don't have. (The announcer called it and I saw it.) In the 3rd set she had 2, but they only have 1 (announcer called both and I saw both.) She had 2 blocks in a row in the 2nd and they only gave her the 1st (announcer called both, one right after the other, I saw both). She had 4 total in the 2nd and they have her with only 3. She had none in Set 1. That equals 7. Sometimes it's hard to see if a hit doesn't go over the net and with a block up, it looks like a block when it's just a hitting error. That could have happened in the 2nd set on 1, so she still would have had 6 total and they have her with 4 - way off. Today the camera angle was very good and the audio was the arena announcer. The stat people just blew it big time. She only had one solo block for sure and maybe a 2nd. That means they missed 2-3 other blocks for someone else too, it wasn't just Becky.

The sad part is we are trying to finish as one of the elite blocking teams and we should have at a minimum 3 more blocks - maybe more - from this match. Lindsay is trying to finish somewhere near the top of this stat nationally. How many of her's did they miss? I know Becky's been really good in this stat since A-10 play. She's #1 in A-10 stats and moved up to #40 nationally. I'd like to see her finish in the Top 20 so UD can have 2 - Top 20 blockers this year. There is a BIG difference between finishing this match with 1.0 Blks/S and 1.75. Same with UD's numbers. We are probably going to drop out of 3rd Nationally if we only get credited with 8 blocks in 4 sets. I know we had at least 11 - maybe more. Big difference between 2.0/set and 2.75 or better. The later keeps us above 3.0/set for the year and probably in 3rd nationally.

Not sure if there is anything UD can do???

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 10-31-2010 at 03:32 PM..
Old 10-31-2010, 03:25 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
GT is not official source. Students keep that up so errors are expected.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-31-2010, 03:51 PM

We'll see what the final stat line looks like then. Let's hope.

Also, credit to GW. They played a great match for 3 sets. I never felt we were in control until Set 4. We had trouble early closing the block from both middles. My guess is GW was somehow freezing the MBs, but I was confident the coaching staff was all over it. And contrary to GT, we got a lot better blocking after set 1.

Also, we didn't pass that great. Again, just like the front row defense, GW's setter could have been freezing the blockers which affects where the backrow defenders line up to dig the kill. I saw more shanked digs today than all season (haven't seen all the matches tho). That makes it tough on Jess to set hitters. When she got a good set, she fed Linds and Beck and they both were finding the floor. And we had a lot more errors than normal. (33 in 4 = 8.25/set). 13% hitting errors when we are usually in the 11's. But 9 service errors to 5 aces. This is probably the 2nd match this year we committed a high number of SE's. We've been very consistant serving, just coughed a few too many up today against a hot team and made things more difficult.

We did hit .273 which followed our .263 against X. Both are very respectable considering both these teams play fast and dig the ball well. I think GW played exceptionally well today. Surely one of their best matches this year. And I thought Tiff came in and played well for us. She went on a 3 or 4 point services run in the 4th. And with the good camera angle, I kept saying, "We gotta go down the line." Tiff finally did that for us. Very nice job.

And after all that, we dug in and found a way to win 3-1. We held GW to .196 hitting % and their L1 to .149. Those are both good defensive stats for UD. Tough win, but I like we held it together and answered strong after they took set 3.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 10-31-2010 at 03:55 PM..
Old 10-31-2010, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
GT is not official source. Students keep that up so errors are expected.
Posted via Mobile Device
Unfortunately Avid, this is how it use to be, but the GT stats are the final stats for this match. They are up on df.com. In the past, when GT was "new" most teams had students running this and sometimes they wouldn't show up and we would have no GT - or they would leave early and it looked like GT was frozen for the rest of the match when in fact it just wasn't being manned.

Now I think most teams staff GT with the official stat people. I could sometimes hear these guys at GW working the stats when the arena announcer would leave the mic open. One person calls out the action and another types. So it sounds like this:

14 serve (someone from GW serves)
3 receive (Paige passes)
1 set (Jess sets)
4 kill (Becky kill attempt)
22 dig (someone from GW passes)
12 set (GW set)
5 kill (GW kill attempt)
13 dig (Amanda digs)
1 set (Jess sets)
7 kill (Yvonne kill attempt)
22 dig (GW dig that hits the floor)

I think they then go back and edit out what doesn't count before the next point. I've Bold-faced what they would keep. You get credit for a serve receive. You keep any kill attempt, even if it doesn't score. According to Mandy on the last radio broadcast, you only get credit for a dig if your team scores. I did not know that. And I don't know if it's only the dig before the score or if all digs from the ralley count???? And you only get credit for a set if it scores, but any set attempt is also kept and that's how you calculate % of successful sets.

I'm not 100% sure on all this - but I do know this is how they call it out during a match. How it gets messed up is the person typing doesn't get it typed in or the person calling it misses it. You would think they would write down those times, by the score, each match, so they could go back and look it up on film to correct the stats. A really bad match based on watching GT and either seeing video or hearing Mike call the games this year, I'd say you would have a dozen or less of these missed stats. It wouldn't take much time to get it right. You simply keep each set - and write down the score after the miss so you can look it up later.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:50 PM

Another thing that we did today that we've not done - both Lindsay and Becky "saved" a hitting error when they got a low, quick set, into a double block. Both dropped down and dug out the block off their kill attempt.

When you run an offense with low, quick sets, there are going to be some blocks. If the other team guesses right on where the set is going, there isn't a lot the hitter can do. The set is low on the net, so they have no time to get under the ball and tip it instead of hitting it full force. Even if they had time to get under it, it would be called a lift. The ball would be way below the top of the net. So you get blocked. It happens. X probably feels the same everytime their hitters get stuffed by our blockers.

Today, both Linds and Becky dug out those blocked balls and kept the ralley alive and I think we scored on both of them later. It was a good job by both.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:37 PM

Also a shame for Jess. She's in a tight race for SOY with X setter who puts up 43 assists today against SLU in 3 sets. (excellent). I know the stat people missed 3 of Jess' sets today, maybe more. For example, since I keep Beck's stats, in the 4th set, during Beck's first 3 rotations on the floor, she went 2-0-3 in hitting. All 3 sets were good sets from Jess. I write this down. On Becky's kill at 3-2 score, there is no credit for any set. It's one of Jess' assists they just missed. There were 2 others in the match based on my notes. At 17-16 in Set 1, Lindsay creams a quick set from Jess that lands inside the attack line of GWs. I wrote it down and commented on it in the live blog. GT has a kill for Lindsay with (from ) and it's blank because they didn't enter the setter.

These girls work so hard and people like Amanda got left out of the post-season awards last year. Jess needs those 3 assists. Claire from X had a great day. Jess did too, but those missing sets means Claire is now further ahead when it should still be very close.

Again, I don't know if UD can do anything about it or not. (And, what else did they miss??? Are Lindsay's blocks correct??? Are Jess' blocks correct??? She teams up with a lot of Becky's blocks. Did they miss both assists and blocks for Jess and how will that affect SOY votes?) It's just a shame.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 10-31-2010 at 05:41 PM..
Old 10-31-2010, 06:41 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
If GT is the official then we r in a world of hurt. Too many times there score does not match the scoreboard. Then too what do you make of there all frequent 26-22 type scores. And what about matches where there was no GT?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-31-2010, 08:14 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,094 Times in 5,099 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
I dont think the players are too concerned about winning personal awards. Theyd gladly give SLU and Xavier all the personal awards for an A10 season and tourney title.

This was a good productive weekend, beating two pretty darn good teams 6-1 in sets. The GW turnaround was short and difficult. Thats a long way to travel for a match in 36 hours. They were two potential stumbling block matches and we came through it totally in tact and with some decent volleyball in stretches.

Gotta be pretty happy.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 10-31-2010, 09:32 PM

Chris I don't disagree that any of these players would gladly give up a personal award for an A-10 title and a Sweet 16 or beyond appearance. But why should they have to? If they EARNED it, they certainly deserve both.

And it goes beyond the A-10 all conference teams. If Jess' assist stats are wrong and she is short changed assists, as she was today, it could cost her not only the SOY A-10 award, but also a chance to be named an All-American. Same for Becky and Amanda. That would be a shame for these young ladies.

But wait...there is more. It also costs UD. Not just the chance to be one of the Top blocking teams in the country, but when UD is recruiting, they won't be able to use that as a recruiting tool. You're talking to one of the best blocking high school kids and you want to assure her UD has a history of being a blocking powerhouse, finishing in the Top 3 as a team Nationally and having 2 MBs both in the Top 20 Nationally says a lot to that kid. Same with the A-10 awards. Jess might misses the A-10 SOY and being named an All-American, because stats are wrong, that hurts UD's recruiting future top setters or top recruits as a whole. They want to go to a school that has a strong history of dominate setters that play at the top level. Having a history of these personal awards helps recruiting for the program.

I also think about Lindsay. She wants to play professional volleyball overseas. If she finishes as one of the Top 2 or 3 blockers in the country this year, she'll get offers. The higher up she finishes, the offers come from better teams for more money. If she finished as the Top blocker she would more than likely get a chance to work with the National Team and a chance at representing the USA in the Olympics. The stats need to be correct. It does matter. And today they were bad. They've been bad other times too.

My main point is, there should be a system in place to go back and fill in the stat mistakes at the end of the match. As described above, it would be a 15-20 minute process to get it RIGHT, that could be done immediately after a match. Or at least a process for a team to send corrections to the A-10 and have the stats corrected. Today the official stats had Dayton winning set 4, 24-12. The stats are obviously missing one of UD's points.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 10-31-2010 at 10:38 PM..
Old 11-01-2010, 08:57 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Regarding the stats, StatCrew software is now owned by CBS College Sports, if I remember correctly, and the boxscores you see are then put up on ncaa.com as is. Even with errors. I had tried to get information on Temple and LaSalle, and they both had a bunch of errors, so StatCrew doesn't have enough error checking involved.

As well, the Xavier game had 2 issues with point changes. GW seemed to have an issue with a point being missed when a timeout got called, I think. It like goes 11-15 to 12-16 without knowing who got the intermediate point. Or, it goes 11-15 to 10-17 because they fix a point error. It's frustrating for a stat guy like me to question his end stats only to realize it was the data I was reading that has the problem.

Figgie