UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Poll Results: WTF just happened? Make the call!
a) Illegal pick on tOSU, UD shoots 1-and 1 3 13.64%
b) Defensive push/foul on Landers, no shot, tOSU ball on sideline 2 9.09%
c) Illegal pick simulatneous to shot, basket counts and UD gets 1-and 1 7 31.82%
d) Player control foul on tOSU, no FTs, UD ball on sideline 10 45.45%
e) Illegal pick on tOSU, UD shoots 1-and 1 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2017, 09:08 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
You Make the Call - Foul during Inbound play

With 2.7 seconds left in OT, both teams in the 1-and-1 and my UD Flyers leading tOSU 88-87, tOSU comes out of their last time-out and lines up for an inbound play that may or may not win the game.

UD comes out in a man-to-man defense but leaves inbounding Buckeye Cam Williams alone so they can have an extra defender -the Greek Geek - to chase the ball and defend a quick shot.

As the trail official, Joey DeMayo, hands tOSU's Williams the ball, Ja'Sean Tate rolls to the top of the key looking for the pass. Guarded tightly by an overly physical Trey Landers, Tate reverses his cut and Williams turns his attention to elsewhere....but can't find anyone open.

With a sold out Arena on its feet screaming lowdly for both teams, it's darn near impossible to hear anything on the court. Confusion abound, and with the inbound count at 1.....2......3......forward Micah Potter attempts to free up Tate by stepping sideways into the path of Landers. With no time-outs left, Williams desperately passes the ball toward Tate, who catches the ball just inside the 3-point line and immediately turns to shoot the potential game winning shot as Landers, leading with his inside shoulder, runs into and falls over the extended knee of Potter. As center official Chad Barlow blows his whistle and raises his right fist - signaling a foul - Tate, with 1.5 seconds left, gets off a shot.

With the ball now in the air and all eyes following it, the Greek Geek jumps above the rim and swats the shot away. Lead official DJ Carstensen, unable to hear the first whistle due to the noise levels, blows his whistle and signals 'goal-tending'. DeMayo, hearing both whistles and anticipating a defensive foul on Landers, turns to the scorer's table and signals the shot to count!....with UD fans going ballistic over DeMayo's call and tOSU fans doing the same, UD head coach Anthony Grant is seen jumping up and down pointing toward Landers, who is on the ground repeatedly pointing at Barlow as if to say 'what about him? what about me?'.

With >16,000 cheers and boos reigning down on the officiating crew from fans of both teams, DeMayo calls for a mid-court huddle to figure out WTF just happened begs his partners to breakdown what just happened so that he, the great Joey DeMayo, can make the call!

Or, in this case, I think it would be easier to put it to a vote.

Good luck.

King Rollo...OUT!

Last edited by rollo; 07-10-2017 at 09:21 AM..
Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
superfan99 (07-10-2017)
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2017, 09:11 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,557 Times in 3,702 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
With >16,000 cheers and boos reigning down on the officiating crew !
So only 24 Buckeye fans are in attendance?
Old 07-10-2017, 09:23 AM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
a) and e) are the same...and I can't edit voting options to delete one...so a vote for a) or e) will be combined. My bad.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:33 AM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
It's almost impossible to make up this scenario with tOSU. They don't have enough players committed to the team to fill out all the hypothetical.

Were any of those guys walkons with made-up names?
Old 07-10-2017, 09:44 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,713 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
I voted c so assume it is wrong.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:20 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
I want to vote for a and e.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by UDGutter2 View Post
I want to vote for a and e.
You'll need 2 separate IDs from NY or California. Or a couple death certificates from Vermont or Massachusetts.
UDGutter2 (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 12:36 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Let's see ...

1. OSU agrees to play UD
2. OSU agrees to play at UD Arena
3. Joey DeMayo is the deciding referree to make the right call.

These YMtC's are getting further and further from reality as we go...
Old 07-10-2017, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
Let's see ...

1. OSU agrees to play UD
2. OSU agrees to play at UD Arena
3. Joey DeMayo is the deciding referree to make the right call.

These YMtC's are getting further and further from reality as we go...
Sir Figgie, if you've been following the 2017 YMtC scenarios, you'd recall that this is an NCAA S16 game in Atlanta...back to the drawing board for you!

Would you still like a participation trophy?
Old 07-10-2017, 02:51 PM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Team with ball called for the foul...no ft's.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:16 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Would you still like a participation trophy?
Of course!
Old 07-10-2017, 03:38 PM

Of course!
Enjoy. You earned it!!

Old 07-10-2017, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
So only 24 Buckeye fans are in attendance?
Yeah, and the other 108,376 tOSU fans are tailgating before the Spring FB game.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:03 PM

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Chose option D
Old 07-10-2017, 08:26 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,858 Times in 719 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
Shot simultaneous to the foul - goaltending call stands. Team-control foul - no FTs, UD ball out of bounds.

Gonna need a miracle.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:17 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

IndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I go with D.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-13-2017, 09:44 AM

Even knowledgeable basketball fans are often confused with 'player-control' fouls and whether or not FTs are warranted. Everyone knows a 'charge' is an offensive player-control foul and no FTs are awarded when called, but very few understand that 'player-control' fouls can be called on non-ball handlers, too.

In this case, with team control of the ball, an illegal pick is set. This illegal pick is considered a 'player-control' foul, meaning no FTs and UD's ball on the sideline! The ref's mechanic for a charge is the hand-behind-the-head followed by a forward fist-punch. The mechanic for the illegal pick/player-control foul is just the forward fist-punch.

So if you were in the minority to pick 'D' - Player control foul on tOSU, no FTs, UD ball on sideline - you earned a Golden Whistle...not to be confused with a golden bikini!

See what I mean!

Last edited by rollo; 07-13-2017 at 11:13 AM..
Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
TXFlyerFan (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 12:17 PM
I Am A Statistical God

So if you were in the minority to pick 'D' - Player control foul on tOSU, no FTs, UD ball on sideline - you earned a Golden Whistle...
Wait? 45% chose 'D', the highest percentage of any choice, and yet, that's the "minority"?

I need to visit remedial Math class at University of Rollo.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:11 PM

Wait? 45% chose 'D', the highest percentage of any choice, and yet, that's the "minority"?

10 out of 22 is less than 50%....thus, the correct answer was outnumbered by the wrong answers.

Class dismissed...except for you Sir Figgie...now put on the Royal cap and go sit in the corner...

Old 07-13-2017, 04:11 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute

It would be a plurality.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by UDGutter2 View Post
It would be a plurality.

Now....off with his head!