UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball > Archived Seasonal Match Threads > 2011 Match Threads

2011 Match Threads Discussion specific to game day and in-game opponents on the schedule.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-06-2011, 08:19 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Xavier AWAY Thread

Noone started a post, so here it is.

We lost 3 sets to 2. 25-22, 19-25, 25-20, 23-25, 12-15.

First set down 22-21, score last 4. Nice.
Second set pull to 22-19, they score last 3. Argh.
Third set up 22-15, they score 4 straight, to get to 22-19, then we outscore 3-1 to finish.
Fourth set close set throughout, Tied at 20, and 23, then they score last 2 points for a 2-2- tie.
Fifth set ... start out strong, 4-1 lead, then 8-5, then they go 6-1 on us, to lead 11-9, then it's 14-11 and we get to 14-12, but they take it 15-12. Ompfh.

Becky asked where we'd fall to in the RPI, and I show us going from 32 to 37. I'll have to check the data from last year, and fill in the conference winners and see how far out RPI at-larges go, and if there is any BCS bias to it.

Figgie
Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (11-06-2011)
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2011, 04:57 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I think the announcers said today that according to Kelly the St Louis match was a must win to secure an ncaa berth. You don't want to go into the tournament needing to win but worse things have happened.

I really liked Sam Selsky's comments after the match. She said that Xavier exposed some weaknesses and that they needed to get into the gym and improve on those weaknesses.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:23 AM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
I was at the match, (missed the start) but saw the majority of it. Really good match! Really high level of volleyball. The amount of long rallies was unlike most previous matches I have seen UD play. Both teams knew what the other wanted to do and each defense was extremely prepared. There were a handful of times when Dayton was able to turn their play up to a notch Xavier couldn't match, but the Flyers confidence seemed to fall drastically down the stretch of sets 4 and 5. The body language of the Flyers signaled a UD loss before the match was over.

- Xavier seemed especially ready for Rachel. Guarded all her at the net attacks well. In all aspects they were in the right position. The block, back row down the line, and back row cross court. The Musketeers were ready for Sam's attack too.

- Xavier's Ame White was impressive. She has a great serve and is tenacious on defense.

It's tough to watch this team unable to win the big game, but I think if they can just win the A-10 at Frericks and get into the NCAA tourney they will be coming in under the radar. This team definitely has the skill, but doesn't have the chip on their shoulder. Xavier was the team this weekend that had something to prove and they played like it when they had to.

Last edited by udisit19; 11-07-2011 at 09:19 PM..
Mad Props to udisit19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDBrian (11-07-2011)
Old 11-07-2011, 09:19 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I agree that this team can win some games in the ncaa but it will probably depend upon matchups too. We don't want to play a team that is really strong in the middle.

Regarding Xavier they can be really tough to beat if they are passing the ball well with that fast offense. I look for improved blocking the next time we see them. I think they sided out at 70% and 75% in sets 4 and 5. That is a little bit alarming but I'm sure it has been pointed out to the team.