User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 07-26-2013, 10:10 AM
Colonel

DaytonFlyers.com is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Dayton continues major upgrades to athletic facilities; charts strategic course

COURTESY OF THE DAYTONFLYERS.COM

DAYTON CONTINUES MAJOR UPGRADES TO ATHLETIC FACILITIES; CHARTS STRATEGIC COURSE

Rest of the story...
Advertisement
Old 07-26-2013, 10:30 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
Focus on the Now

Strategic planning is the work of leadership. Successful managers have the trains running on time. UD needs more good managers and less visible leadership. How about a men's basketball schedule being announced before the deadline for receiving the ticket money?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Alberto Strasse For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (07-26-2013), Radar (07-30-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 10:34 AM
Major

westchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to all
Women's lax? Is there a men's team?
Old 07-26-2013, 11:00 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Seems like a few holes in the announcement.

Lax? Very little interest in this part of the country in Lax. Probably being done to enhance attractiveness for conference affiliation. Where will the team play? Nothing said about that. A very glaring omission.

Also, if you kick the music folks out of the Reichard Building for the new weight room - where are they going? New Arts Center?

Last edited by ud69; 07-26-2013 at 11:03 AM..
Old 07-26-2013, 12:22 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,355 Times in 586 Posts
College B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute
UD has played "club" Men's LAX and rather competitively at that since the team was intially formed in 1978/79 I believe. In the very recent years they have been very good I believe!

In the early days, other club teams at Purdue, Michgam State, Miami , Marrietta&various other "club" level teams dominated the schedule. We've always had our share of wins and competitive men's players given our penchant for attractive kids from the island, Maryland ,etc. My understanding is that the team has been a very good "club" team in the recent past.

Claerly, the addition of Women's LAX at this point is one of our "additional" efforts to garner NBE support as some of the discussion(s) have revolved around the fact that several of the "other" NBE teams already have several sports such as Women's LAX but without the "old" BE members---automatic NCAA bids "may" be lost, etc.

Hey, whatever it takes----hmmm..

I mentioned several months ago on a thread dealing with President Curranand the current direction of the university---the fact that some int he music department, (engineering changes were also mentioned by Rollo, etc.) were occurring and NOT being met with a whole lot of support on campus for many, many reasons (some simply dealing with the lack of a clear rationale for the changes to the music department scholarships, etc. ) and this is simply some clarification that this is indeed occuring---probably has something to do with how this fits in with the overall emphasis on the academic programs at UD--something that is getting alot (to much) attention according to some of those on campus---both affected by these decisions and NOT!
Old 07-26-2013, 01:11 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,452 Times in 781 Posts
DetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Athletic scholarship or non-athletic scholarship? It would also be good to know where they will play. Not a very well done press release.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:30 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
I have to admit, LAX is growing like Topsy. A park near our house in the Chicago suburbs has a LAX team practicing and playing games (matches?) almost every other night. This has just happened in the last three years.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:13 PM

Thanked 4,603 Times in 2,849 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Here in CT,...

Originally Posted by bobber View Post
I have to admit, LAX is growing like Topsy. A park near our house in the Chicago suburbs has a LAX team practicing and playing games (matches?) almost every other night. This has just happened in the last three years.
Unfortunately, recently my wife has been seriously ill. About a month ago we went to a healing Mass and service at the seminary of the archdiocese of Hartford.

It was a miserable night,...raining like hell when we arrived at the seminary campus. As I was parking the car I noticed a game going on at one of the nearby playing fields. You guess it, lacrosse....in the pouring rain. That's when it hit me that what a few Priders have been saying may have legs.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:40 PM
General

Thanked 4,343 Times in 2,135 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
sorry to hear about your wife, hopefully she makes her way to a full recovery UAC, she's in my prayers.

Regarding LAX, its exploding in this area. I remember hearing somewhere that this general area has the largest growth rate in HS LAX programs in the country (obviously the east coast was well saturated many years ago). The area has traditionally been strong in women's field hockey, it wouldn't surprise me to see that go the way of the dodo bird in favor of girls lacrosse on the HS level.

Addtionally, when all the NBE speculation was going several months back and the discussion of who was the 12th team (if and when they expanded) Richmond fans kept pointing out how the NBE had a hole in women's LAX and how richmond had just added their program. If UD wants in the NBE, and if an invite is anticipated in the next year or 2, they may have had little choice but to add Women's LAX as a full varsity sport.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:47 PM
Major General

College B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute
LAX

UAC, so sorry to hear about your wife. She and you will be in my prayers.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to College B-Ball Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (07-30-2013), Flyer 86 (07-26-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 03:16 PM
Major

westchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to all
UAC, your family is in my prayers as well.
Mad Props to westchesterflyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
UD Sam (07-27-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 03:28 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

IndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
As well as ours. God watch over you both.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:51 PM
General

Thanked 1,269 Times in 787 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud69 View Post

Lax? Very little interest in this part of the country in Lax. Probably being done to enhance attractiveness for conference affiliation. Where will the team play? Nothing said about that. A very glaring omission.

Also, if you kick the music folks out of the Reichard Building for the new weight room - where are they going? New Arts Center?
Lacrosse has been moving further and further west from Virginia, PA, Northeast and the usual winners. NOt a big budget sport, and can produce schollies.

Smart decision if this is true. my two cents
Old 07-26-2013, 03:54 PM
General

Thanked 1,269 Times in 787 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
sorry to hear about your wife, hopefully she makes her way to a full recovery UAC, she's in my prayers.

Regarding LAX, its exploding in this area. I remember hearing somewhere that this general area has the largest growth rate in HS LAX programs in the country (obviously the east coast was well saturated many years ago). The area has traditionally been strong in women's field hockey, it wouldn't surprise me to see that go the way of the dodo bird in favor of girls lacrosse on the HS level.

Addtionally, when all the NBE speculation was going several months back and the discussion of who was the 12th team (if and when they expanded) Richmond fans kept pointing out how the NBE had a hole in women's LAX and how richmond had just added their program. If UD wants in the NBE, and if an invite is anticipated in the next year or 2, they may have had little choice but to add Women's LAX as a full varsity sport.
In long island , lax is and has been extremely strong. All my high school buds went to top Universities due to lax scholarships. Yale, Dartmouth, Virginia, Franklin and Marshall. We had 4-6 guys a year bag scholarships from our East Meadow High School. Makes me wish I had played.

IN addition, it's great spring sport for the non baseball interested athlete. Lots of running and superb hand -eye coordination involved!
Old 07-26-2013, 04:04 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

keats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond repute
UAC, thoughts and prayers.

About music department, I believe they are moving to building across from old Frank Z lot. Not sure of name, but the old NCR building on Brown Street.
Pretty sure they will be there by start of fall classes.
(My mother-in-law works in music dept office.)
Old 07-26-2013, 04:18 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,459 Times in 777 Posts
Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
lax is exploding in ohio. it's on the verge of becoming a sanctioned varsity sport. it's HUGE in Cincinnati, Columbus and Cleveland. phenomenal growth in a sport that's exciting for kids to play and parents to watch.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:00 PM
Brigadier General

Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
i should add that of the 125 girls lax players participating in the champion all American showcase, 3 are from ohio. that may not seem like much but it's quite a statement in light of the fact that it's not even a sanctioned hs sport in ohio. it's only a club sport. smart move by ud to add women's lax, and it'll be even smarter when they elevate men's club lax to a varsity sport. on the down side, the growth of lax comes primarily at the expense of baseball and has a slight impact on soccer. for any of you that haven't watched a game live, you should search out the chance.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:03 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
For scholarship purposes LAX is considered an equivalency sport - meaning you can split up the 12 allowed scholarships among up to 30 players. There are just under 100 schools playing D-1 women's LAX.

I don't have a problem adding LAX if UD wants to make it a Tier 1 sport like volleyball and soccer. With scholarships, coaches, and support staff that is a million dollar hit to the athletic budget. However, IMHOP, the number 1 reason UD is adding LAX is be more attractive for conference affiliation - i.e. NBE - not to make it a Tier 1 sport.

As to a playing field, since LAX is a spring sport I would play it at Baujan. Tear down the building on the east end of Baujan (already planned), expand the field into this area, expand the terrace, and finish off the south side of Baujan with stands and press box. Voila, you have a premier facility for both soccer and LAX.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:16 AM

Thanked 17,162 Times in 5,119 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Its a premier facility only so long as they keep it natural grass.

You are nothing but a poser of a soccer program at the elite DI level if you are playing your footie on Fieldturf.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
"Yeah....220, 221, whatever it takes." - Jack Butler (Mr. Mom)
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (07-28-2013), jack72 (07-27-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 02:56 AM
General

Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,408 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
LAX is big in the BE. Six BE teams were in the RPI top 50 last year. Adding LAX could be a move by UD to improve profile for a move to the BE.
Mad Props to frisco flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (07-28-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 07:25 AM

Thanked 15,915 Times in 6,996 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
I vould say, wif respect to ze Big East, this is a classic example of 'too little, too late', but considering ze amount of ze money being invested, it's more like 'too much, too late'....and makes us look desperate.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:39 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,461 Times in 612 Posts
UD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud69 View Post

Lax? Very little interest in this part of the country in Lax.
Not exactly. It is probably the fastest growing sport in Ohio since soccer started when I was a kid. Many high schools have added club teams in this area and most have or will be converting to official high school teams. The OSHAA has a state tournament for different divisions as well as club teams.

As a prior football player I was skeptical at first, but it's a sport that is fast, involves contact, and is very enjoyable to watch. I expect it to start to draw crowds similar to high school football at smaller high schools within a few years.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:42 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,461 Times in 612 Posts
UD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond repute
Is the Mens LAX team an official varsity sport now also or is it club as well?
Old 07-27-2013, 09:54 AM
Major General

Men's LAX

Club I believe. Someone might correct me---but I've not heard that it was ever elevated past a club level sport despite the fact that there has been Men's LAX at UD since the late 70's.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:39 AM
Lieutenant General

DetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Are there any Title IX implications here? I suppose it is OK to have an imbalance biased towards women's sports but not the other way around? This does not seem at all fair to the men's lacrosse program.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:09 PM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
The athletic scolarships, money and opportunity are supposed to be balanced with the population, not 50/50. Football has a lot of participants so you need more womens sports to offset.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-27-2013, 03:32 PM
Lieutenant General

Women's rowing off sets most of football.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:12 PM
Major General

Women's rowing/Football

Unfortunately, there is a similar amount of interest "on campus" for those 2 sports.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:34 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,288 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by College B-Ball Fan View Post
Unfortunately, there is a similar amount of interest "on campus" for those 2 sports.
Not so sure about that. Have attended football games where there were more students attending that at most basketball games not names X. Granted overall interest in football is not as great as basketball, but student fannies in the seats doesn't bode well for roundball. This is not intended to start a wee-wee war as to the why's and wherefore's of student basketball attendence.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:09 PM
Major General

attendance at football

Really, I haven't been to a football game since the Yale game years ago--but I have traveled to at least one away football game most years with some buddies. How many students do you think were present (1000--more?)--is that every game OR was it a big game?

Also, I think if/when b-ball starts humming again (aka winning alot) OR the names change (ala NBE games that many of us hope to see) the student attendance issue will change at hoops games. It's kinda' weird that the students don't attend any more than they do on some levels---I don't really understand BUT we have struggled during the A-10 portion of the schedule for awhile/always....
Old 07-27-2013, 05:28 PM
1st Lieutenant

Sit_Down_Digger will become famous soon enoughSit_Down_Digger will become famous soon enough
I'm sure a price increase for men's basketball tickets will be forthcoming to offset the cost of the women's lacrosse team. If the powers to be think this is a path to the NBE then so be it. We will pony up and pay the freight.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:24 PM

UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Lacrosse and the NBE

Originally Posted by Sit_Down_Digger View Post
I'm sure a price increase for men's basketball tickets will be forthcoming to offset the cost of the women's lacrosse team. If the powers to be think this is a path to the NBE then so be it. We will pony up and pay the freight.
I'm not so sure that starting women's lacrosse is motivated by the BE issue. Some BE schools have men's lacrosse and/or mena's and women's.

Seems to me that Dayton very strong TV market would be a much more inportant factor. Also, the overall condition condition of UD facilities, not to mention team performance, surely is important.

One last thing: The BE schools that drive the bus, VU, GU and MU look down their noses at UD. U.S. News still reports UD's acceptance rate at 75%...hardly selective in comparison to GU and VU. But, September's rankings will reflect last year's 54% acceptance rate...and should give us a boost.

(Another factor that might have some impact is a winning BB team. I'll bet Chris knows or can find out if lacrosse had anything to do with the BE..and why.)
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (07-28-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 08:28 PM
General

Thanked 4,539 Times in 2,056 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sit_Down_Digger View Post

Yep - somewhere down the line, those ticket prices will go up - along with the cost of food, cable, and string refills for your weed-whacker.

But not this year!
(apologies to Henry V):

"There is no change in season ticket pricing or parking fees this season."
- University of Dayton Ticket Office.

College B-Ball Fan (07-27-2013), UACFlyer (07-27-2013)
Old 07-28-2013, 03:56 AM

Thanked 17,162 Times in 5,119 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
All NCAA D-I schools must have at least 7 mens teams and 7 womens teams, or alternatively, 6 for men and 8 for women if you want to fund the minimum 14. UD is currently at 7 mens teams and 9 womens teams. WLAX will make it 7/10.

Wabler himself said WLAX helps bolster UD's position in the changing college landscape. That alone tells me its not just being added for addition's sake.

WLAX also offers the chance to compete at a national level. UD would not be able to add a sand volleyball program or sailing program and be nationally competitive. WLAX is a northern/east coast sport not dependent on geography and weather like baseball/softball/tennis/golf (year-round outdoor training in the south/west).

If you are adding a sport, you are not adding it to be a throwaway sport in my opinion, otherwise it would be far easier to just fund UDs tennis and golf teams better. UD has elected to spend the money in a place where they think the sport can pay off and to me that means competitively. If you're going to spend $500,000-750,000, its not going to be a gravy sport to "give students a well rounded experience." You want to compete nationally with it. UD can do that in WLAX - but it will certainly take some commitment.

To start a program in 2016, they need to be looking into developing a coach staff right now. They cant hire someone in 2015 and bring in 25 new recruits. You need to spend the next 2-3 years making recruiting contacts and developing relationships out there while kids are still frosh in HS. What little it will cost to run a staff is small compared to actually having a team on campus, so it would be money well spent.

UD may also be waiting on the league shuffling to play out however to decide how much to fund WLAX. If we move up in a league, they go for broke. If we get left at the alter, they hold back some funding and prioritize elsewhere (soccer/vball/hoops).

One advantage UD has is its one of the most developed intramural universities in the country. UD has had many nationally competitive IM teams ranging from LAX to rugby. I think the school and student body will take to the new sport well, but I still think youll need to recruit more east than midwest. I cant name a single Dayton area WLAX team. Im sure there are a few, but they arent households names.

Oakwood and Fairmont field hockey are the most easily recognized "stick" sports played by females in the Dayton area.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
"Yeah....220, 221, whatever it takes." - Jack Butler (Mr. Mom)
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (07-28-2013), jabo911 (07-28-2013), UACFlyer (07-28-2013)
Old 07-28-2013, 01:26 PM

What's next?

Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
..... To start a program in 2016, they need to be looking into developing a coach staff right now. They cant hire someone in 2015 and bring in 25 new recruits. You need to spend the next 2-3 years making recruiting contacts and developing relationships out there while kids are still frosh in HS. What little it will cost to run a staff is small compared to actually having a team on campus, so it would be money well spent.....
All good points. So, the next things we can expect to hear, so it would seem, are naming of a coach and identifying a field location.

The latter may be more complicated than the former...and one would think a prospective coach would want to know a few things re the field and facilities.

In my opinion the rather sudden vacating of the Musice/Theatre Bldg has something to do with this. That building will be torn down...I expect details soon. That opens the way for a plan for Baujan.

Another long-shot possibility is use of the parking lots/practice fields near the corner of Brown and Stewart. That location was planned for a large, signature Arts Center. But, the way UD is pouring money into CPC for fine arts use suggests to me that plans for that "signature" arts center have been scrapped or at least scaled down....freeing up space for athletic use.

The Brown and Stewart corner is, essentially, at the heart of UD's new;y expanded campus. Personally, I don't like the idea of an athletics facility at such a prominent location.

Whatever, I have confidence that UD will make wise decisions.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:24 PM

UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
One last thing: The BE schools that drive the bus, VU, GU and MU look down their noses at UD. U.S. News still reports UD's acceptance rate at 75%...hardly selective in comparison to GU and VU. But, September's rankings will reflect last year's 54% acceptance rate...and should give us a boost.

(Another factor that might have some impact is a winning BB team. I'll bet Chris knows or can find out if lacrosse had anything to do with the BE..and why.)
Of those two basketball probably has 100 times the weight of admission selectivity. The accrpatace rates at the three new members are 66%,78% and 68%.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-28-2013, 02:52 PM

Understood, Doug, but,...

Originally Posted by UDDoug View Post
Of those two basketball probably has 100 times the weight of admission selectivity. The accrpatace rates at the three new members are 66%,78% and 68%.
Posted via Mobile Device
.....the BE wanted those three schools.....two of the three have had exceptional BB over a period of years, and the third was a Jesuit school with all the inside clout needed.

We don't have any such cards to play.....meaning, there is no tolerance for any negatives. And we have at least two: very close proximity to XU and BU and a less-than-sterling academic reputation. Please note, I said less than sterling "reputation"...not less than sterling academics. Reputation lags many years behind reality.

UD needs to overcome a few things, some how. A great BB season or two surely would help most, I'm guessing. Great facilities matter......our teriffic TV market for BB is a plus. But, in my opinion, UD still is in need of an edge of some sort.....a solid reason to really want us. Perhaps that's what TW is working on.

(I'm assuming UD wants to join the BE, badly. I'm not unhappy with the A10.)
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (07-28-2013)
Old 07-28-2013, 07:23 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
I thought I read somewhere that Richmond was racing to add Lax. Can't recall if it was a men's or women's team, or both.

IMO UD won't get the into the NBE unless the league goes to more than twelve teams. If they expand to twelve, the several schools that run the conference will want another Jesuit school and a private, non-Catholic school for the eleventh and twelfth members. They have their reasons for wanting it that way. UD isn't Jesuit, nor is it non-Catholic.

Could be the end of the story, except for the wild card -- Fox Sports. They may have a say sooner or later in conference size and make-up. Then too, the way the Division 4 situation eventually shakes out might come into play. No one knows how that is going to affect the basketball schools.

I like the A10, so I am not worried.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:44 AM

Shouldn't be a secret or a mystery...

Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
All NCAA D-I schools must have at least 7 mens teams and 7 womens teams, or alternatively, 6 for men and 8 for women if you want to fund the minimum 14. UD is currently at 7 mens teams and 9 womens teams. WLAX will make it 7/10.

Wabler himself said WLAX helps bolster UD's position in the changing college landscape. That alone tells me its not just being added for addition's sake.

To start a program in 2016, they need to be looking into developing a coach staff right now. They cant hire someone in 2015 and bring in 25 new recruits. You need to spend the next 2-3 years making recruiting contacts and developing relationships out there while kids are still frosh in HS. What little it will cost to run a staff is small compared to actually having a team on campus, so it would be money well spent.......

,,,...the options UD is at least thinking about in connection with soccer, lax and Baujan renovation. Surely there are Priders that are aware of the possibilities UD is weighing. You don't make the announcement (re WLAX) UD did without having a pretty good idea where the games will be played.

About once a year I receive a call from UD "person" traveling through my area suggesting that we meet for coffee, or something like that, just to chat. About half the time I accept the invitation...and when I don't I at least talk for a while and ask questions. The responses I get are never evasive...always frank and informative.

Now there must be more than a few Priders that are UD insiders who have much better information or could easily get it. How about doing us all a favor and pass what you know along Priders. We're all big boys/girls...and understand that options are just that, "options",....reflecting prelinary thinking and planning.

Seems to me that Baujan is compatible with both soccer and WLAX....using a grass field along with a significant facilities upgrade. Football is a red herring that would make things much more complicated. Unless looking to really complicate things, FB should be left at WS, and improved. The talk of DPS being "uncooperative" isn't consistent with the long-standing relationship between UD and DPS and UD's considerable clout. UD is now a major player in Dayton....that is a relatively new development.

As for Baujan facilities, the Music/Theater building is quite large and could have been used for greatly expanded soccer/LAX facilites. But, apparently UD has chosen another course, with M&T slated to be demolished. Perhaps a new building with constructed. Whatever, with the WLAX announcement plans must be pretty far along. National security is not at stake....I'll bet all you have to do get essential information re status of planning is to ask.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:52 AM

Donoher Ctr

I meant to ask this question. In connection with relocating the Donoher training site to Reichard...coaches/players have said that about the only time players are at the Arena (or will be) is for games.

If so, other than for lockers, what is the purpose of the Donher Center? It sure looks nice. But, it seems as if its significance will fading in light of all the new on-campus facilities.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:10 PM
Major General

up grades

BG wanted the on campus court(s) and training facilities and they were promised to him despite the fact that some of these facilities are just getting finished up now---several years after he has left. Simply a matter of convenience for the players (probably coaches, trainers, etc. also) to get there personal and individual workouts completed---without having to travel all the way to the arena between classes, etc..

I think that on some levels your correct in that some more of the lifting, workouts, etc. can once again be completed by the players, trainers, coaches, etc. on campus now. However, I'm sure that on some levels especially in the recruiting game-----"more" is always better.

Sounds like the "signing" room, etc. will stay at Donoher, at least that is what it seems from what I've read and have heard to date.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:05 PM
1st Lieutenant

Sit_Down_Digger will become famous soon enoughSit_Down_Digger will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Glen Clark View Post
Yep - somewhere down the line, those ticket prices will go up - along with the cost of food, cable, and string refills for your weed-whacker.

But not this year!
(apologies to Henry V):

"There is no change in season ticket pricing or parking fees this season."
- University of Dayton Ticket Office.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:47 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,285 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer View Post
Athletic scholarship or non-athletic scholarship? It would also be good to know where they will play. Not a very well done press release.
And God forbid anyone from the Dayton media ask a profound, probing question. Oh yeah, Doug Harris is busy covering TOSU football.
Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud69 (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 12:10 PM

It's intercollegiate. Dayton plays Division 1 intercollegiate sports. Other than football, which has an exception in the D1 bylaws (as does the Ivy and perhaps Patriot), D1 means scholarship. If it weren't scholarship it would say club level, not intercollegiate.

They don't begin play until 2016, almost 3 years from now. I guess the press release could say facilities, including playing field will be decided sometime before then.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:12 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
I meant to ask this question. In connection with relocating the Donoher training site to Reichard...coaches/players have said that about the only time players are at the Arena (or will be) is for games.

If so, other than for lockers, what is the purpose of the Donher Center? It sure looks nice. But, it seems as if its significance will fading in light of all the new on-campus facilities.
There are many offices, an equipment room, and sports medicine room located in the Donoher Center. There is also locker rooms for men's and women's basketball, coaches locker rooms for men's and women's basketball, and a football locker room. The 1800 sqft weight room is just a small portion of the Donoher Center which can easily be used for something new.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:41 PM
Lieutenant General

Nope

Originally Posted by UDDoug View Post
It's intercollegiate. Dayton plays Division 1 intercollegiate sports. Other than football, which has an exception in the D1 bylaws (as does the Ivy and perhaps Patriot), D1 means scholarship. If it weren't scholarship it would say club level, not intercollegiate.

They don't begin play until 2016, almost 3 years from now. I guess the press release could say facilities, including playing field will be decided sometime before then.
Football could offer from 0 to 63 athletic scholarships and be in compliance with FCS rules. Women's lacrosse could most likely offer 0 athletic scholarships and also be in compliance. I do not know the exact rules but most sports, other tha FBS football do not require a minimum number of athletic scholarships. For FBS football, 85 athletic scholarships are required.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:03 PM
Captain

FSUFlyer is just really niceFSUFlyer is just really niceFSUFlyer is just really niceFSUFlyer is just really nice
For FBS football, 85 athletic scholarships are required.
I don't believe that's correct, as schools play a full season with less than 85 scholarships all the time.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:55 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Football could offer from 0 to 63 athletic scholarships and be in compliance with FCS rules. Women's lacrosse could most likely offer 0 athletic scholarships and also be in compliance. I do not know the exact rules but most sports, other tha FBS football do not require a minimum number of athletic scholarships. For FBS football, 85 athletic scholarships are required.
85 is the max for FBS, but if I remember correctly they need more than the 63 max of the FCS to be considered FBS. Most FBS schools are between 80-85 scholarships with more being closer to 85.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:07 PM

Thanked 15,915 Times in 6,996 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Penn State wishes they could have 85....
Old 08-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Brigadier General

back to lax for a moment, it's not by accident that espn's coverage of lax has exploded over the last few years. after football and basketball, I don't think there's a more heavily televised collegiate sport. so, if you're a conference, it would seem to make sense to explore expanding the lax programs/competition to get a bit of the coverage/money action. whether it's the nbe or a10, it makes sense. i have to believe that ud is measuring the a10's and nbe's focus on lax. with both conferences having a huge east coast presence, it makes even more sense. ud is wise to add women's lax now, but it needs to be making the push to add men's at the earliest point possible. while many think that the "other" sports are simply an afterthought, i counter that the best tv package will provide worthwhile programming outside of the basketball season. look at what some of the other conference or conference aligned networks have done with programming. the big10 shows hockey, the pac10 has soccer, etc. with the advent of hd, lax has become an exciting sport to watch on tv. again, espn hasn't ramped up its coverage based only on a hunch.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:24 PM

PSU....

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Penn State wishes they could have 85....
Now that the PSU administrators are headed to trial....based on the evidence that has been made public, I don't see how the three can avoid jail time.

Imagine,...the president of one of the country's top public universities. If they can send Martha Stewart away for doing nothing, those three are in deep yogurt.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:47 PM
Captain

axehandle is just really niceaxehandle is just really niceaxehandle is just really niceaxehandle is just really niceaxehandle is just really nice
Originally Posted by Hyde Park Flyer View Post
back to lax for a moment, it's not by accident that espn's coverage of lax has exploded over the last few years. after football and basketball, I don't think there's a more heavily televised collegiate sport. so, if you're a conference, it would seem to make sense to explore expanding the lax programs/competition to get a bit of the coverage/money action. whether it's the nbe or a10, it makes sense. i have to believe that ud is measuring the a10's and nbe's focus on lax. with both conferences having a huge east coast presence, it makes even more sense. ud is wise to add women's lax now, but it needs to be making the push to add men's at the earliest point possible. while many think that the "other" sports are simply an afterthought, i counter that the best tv package will provide worthwhile programming outside of the basketball season. look at what some of the other conference or conference aligned networks have done with programming. the big10 shows hockey, the pac10 has soccer, etc. with the advent of hd, lax has become an exciting sport to watch on tv. again, espn hasn't ramped up its coverage based only on a hunch.
Bringing women's lax on now may be a prelude to dropping another women's sport? But more likely, it is easier to bring one new sport on at a time and use lessons learned from the first to make the second easier.