UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 12-13-2014, 07:40 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,302 Times in 1,764 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Scoochie is the Key

At the beginning of the season, I thought Devin Scott was critical to this year's success. He has stepped and played well consistently.

This team is undersized and will struggle against tall shot blocking teams. UConn and Arkansas both dominated with their shot blocking. UD is a very, very quick team, so quickness is going to have to offset size.

So I thought I Devin played well, the rest of the team would be fine. The team is quick and Devin is not a huge liability in the middle.

Three point shots not falling is not helping. But right now, the guard quickness is not negating size. Not even close.

I think the focus on success rests now on Scoochie. I have watched every regular season game this year. Scoochie has played poorly or average every game so far. Did I see correctly that he had zero assists today?

I think Scoochie can play much better on both ends of the floor. If he can quarterback the offense better and create more, the team can break out of the offensive doldrums.

On defense, he has to stop dribble penetration better.

Bass offers energy but 5'9" is a lot to overcome. I saw a three point shot blocked on him by Miami. Arkansas trapped him effectively several times. His speed is not making up for his lack of height.

Not saying a better performance by Scoochie would have won the game today, but I feel Arkansas really played him as a liability.

I am perplexed, but Scoochie does not seem to be anywhere close to his groove. What is wrong?

UD needs Scoochie to step up. My opinion....
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (12-13-2014), Flyer 86 (12-13-2014), ruechalgrin (12-13-2014)
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2014, 07:50 PM

Thanked 9,815 Times in 4,076 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Offensively, they need to be attacking the rim to open up high percentage perimeter shots. Right now they move the ball on the perimeter and jack up the first thing they see. Some of this is due to the defensive pressure, that is speeding up our offense. Quick shots aren't good. They have to get the ball into the paint, whether it is on penetration or entry passes. They pass up quite a bit in getting the ball in the paint. Defenses can stay home and don't have to do much which allows them to get into the passing lanes. Our press break is rushed and helter skelter. We are undersized and have to take that into consideration when trying to break the press. KD tried to go over the top on the press today and it was deflected and resulted in an easy transition for Ark. They have to know when to dribble against the press and pass out of trouble...the press is able to hold a centerfielder because we are rushing things.

I will give them a little leeway as they aren't deep and they are trying to do too much instead of playing within themselves. Their effort has been there as they have fought back in games...that is good. Unfortunately, they shouldn't have been in some of those positions due to things mentioned.

Arkansas is a good team, but it is hard to beat those decent teams if you don't do the small things.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (12-13-2014), SeasonTicketFan (12-13-2014), Tony T 71 (12-13-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 07:50 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
Hard to argue with what you say. Most recruits show a nice progression from their Freshman to Sophomore year. I think Scoochie's got delayed.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:41 PM

SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Shocka

I agree. The lack of inside out is hurting the 3 point shooting. I felt that EMU and BG started to pack it in. Scouting is showing that you leaving KP and JR. open outside is smart.

The point guard has to create more so that the offense does not resemble a swing around the key. Scoochie has to start finding seams in the defense better. If he can start the offense better, I think we would see a big improvement.

This is just saying that Scoochie can play better. When he does, the offense starts to click better.

Last edited by SeasonTicketFan; 12-14-2014 at 08:58 AM..
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (12-13-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 08:50 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
I hate to mention his name but I would love to see Scoochie do more of those 12 to 15 foot jumpers off the bounce like Juwan Staten. He's got the quickness and shot to do it. This would open things up for him to find more assists in my opinion.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-14-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 11:00 PM

Thanked 10,176 Times in 5,904 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
I've mentioned it before, but Scoochie seems to penetrate less this year than last. I think his increased weight has slowed him just a little.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:18 PM
General

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,551 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
Offensively, they need to be attacking the rim to open up high percentage perimeter shots. Right now they move the ball on the perimeter and jack up the first thing they see. Some of this is due to the defensive pressure, that is speeding up our offense. Quick shots aren't good. They have to get the ball into the paint, whether it is on penetration or entry passes. They pass up quite a bit in getting the ball in the paint. Defenses can stay home and don't have to do much which allows them to get into the passing lanes. Our press break is rushed and helter skelter. We are undersized and have to take that into consideration when trying to break the press. KD tried to go over the top on the press today and it was deflected and resulted in an easy transition for Ark. They have to know when to dribble against the press and pass out of trouble...the press is able to hold a centerfielder because we are rushing things.

I will give them a little leeway as they aren't deep and they are trying to do too much instead of playing within themselves. Their effort has been there as they have fought back in games...that is good. Unfortunately, they shouldn't have been in some of those positions due to things mentioned.

Arkansas is a good team, but it is hard to beat those decent teams if you don't do the small things.
It is interesting that all of you have commented on Scoochie's play. After watching today's game, I was thinking exactly the same thing. Shocka indicates that we need him to penetrate more to the rim. I love to see that in a point guard. The only problem is this. We have had a very difficult time having success against big, active, athletic centers and power forwards. Scoochie, Sibert, Pollard, and Pierre all penetrated into the lane today, only to have their shots swatted back to them. Looking back at Florida in the NCAA, BG, UConn, etc., anytime we face a big, athletic front line we poop our pants. I agree with some of the discussion that Scoochie needs to penetrate and pop the jumper from the 12-15 foot range. However, he seems very hesitant to penetrate this year. I do agree with some of the above discussion indicating that he seems a step slower this year. Regardless, this offense will only improve when the point guard play improves. Today, Bass' play was much better than Scoochie's, at least in my opinion. That perimeter passing just doesn't cut it. How many shots did we have to force today because of running down the shot clock? We need Scoochie or Bass to step forward and just penetrate, even if it costs us a charging foul or turnover. Otherwise, we just will continue to self-destruct with quick threes or desperation threes at the buzzer. Also, we need to set screens on big, athletic players to our front-liners a an uninterrupted move to the hoop.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TommyGola For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (12-14-2014), Flyer 86 (12-14-2014), jack72 (12-14-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 11:34 PM
General

Thanked 4,903 Times in 2,262 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
Minor point, but Scooch blew an opportunity to take a charge in the second half by their 6-10 Nigerian import. Dude came cruising with a full head of steam full court and instead of stepping in to take the charge, Scooch swatted at the ball leading to an emphatic dunk.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:40 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Khari Price was the glue toward the end of last season and played most of the crunch time minutes. Scoochie's role has changed significantly because of that. Hopefully he will grow into that role sooner rather than later.

It is possible that Scoochie has been playing conservative because of Bass being unavailable for backup.
Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-14-2014)
Old 12-14-2014, 09:01 AM

Thanked 4,603 Times in 2,849 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Ignorance?

Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
Khari Price was the glue toward the end of last season and played most of the crunch time minutes. Scoochie's role has changed significantly because of that. Hopefully he will grow into that role sooner rather than later.

It is possible that Scoochie has been playing conservative because of Bass being unavailable for backup.

Pardon my ignorance...but why did Price leave?
Old 12-14-2014, 09:42 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,619 Times in 2,468 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Plain and simple, he was homesick the entire time he was here. Was going to leave after his freshman year, but stayed. If you remember, he played through pain all of last year, went through all kinds of treatment pre and post practices in order to be able to play. He had surgery on his knees last spring while he was still here.
I wondered if perhaps he needed to sit a year for a better recovery and being here, not even able to play, was just too much. (just a guess)
Old 12-14-2014, 10:36 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,088 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Can't be more truthful a statement than this one:

This team misses Khari more than WE thought they would.

Second truthful statement:

This team misses a player like Vee more than they thought they would.
Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-14-2014)
Old 12-14-2014, 10:56 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,592 Times in 3,714 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Schoochie looks like he is playing way too tight. At times he is running through the designed plays, just as they were drawn up, making sure we have X number of passes etc, and never once looks for his opening to penetrate or score.

I think he needs to just relax, not feel like the weight of the team is on the point gaurds shoulders, smile and have some fun on the floor. Almost like he is overthinking at times. Enjoy the game son, you only have 2 1/2 years left and it will go way too fast.
Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (12-14-2014)
Old 12-14-2014, 10:58 AM

jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
I was always highly critical of Khari because he never never penetrated off the dribble. It slowed our offense. When Scoochie was in last year he penetrated many times, and some ended in a bad shot or pass, but overall it helped our offense especially in the NCAA.

Now Schoochie has turned into Khari. What is going on? Have the coaches changed him or is he just gun shy.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-14-2014), ruechalgrin (12-14-2014)
Old 12-14-2014, 11:03 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
I was always highly critical of Khari because he never never penetrated off the dribble. It slowed our offense. When Scoochie was in last year he penetrated many times, and some ended in a bad shot or pass, but overall it helped our offense especially in the NCAA.

Now Schoochie has turned into Khari. What is going on? Have the coaches changed him or is he just gun shy.
One good thing with the Khari/Scoochie combo was that that I think they made the other team adjust to different styles.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-14-2014)
Old 12-14-2014, 12:02 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
Schoochie looks like he is playing way too tight. At times he is running through the designed plays, just as they were drawn up, making sure we have X number of passes etc, and never once looks for his opening to penetrate or score.

I think he needs to just relax, not feel like the weight of the team is on the point gaurds shoulders, smile and have some fun on the floor. Almost like he is overthinking at times. Enjoy the game son, you only have 2 1/2 years left and it will go way too fast.
Anyway you can give the pre game talk before next game? Scooch needs to hear this. Maybe even one on one conversation behind closed doors. Maybe even give him the green light to go "street ball" he's already comfortable with it growing up on the NYC playgrounds.

Unleash the Beast

Last edited by BRob2Perryman3; 12-14-2014 at 12:08 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (12-14-2014), Flyer 86 (12-14-2014)
Old 12-14-2014, 03:40 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,371 Times in 1,107 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NJFlyr71 View Post
Can't be more truthful a statement than this one:

This team misses Khari more than WE thought they would.

Second truthful statement:

This team misses a player like Vee more than they thought they would.
Vee was tough. We are missing his offense no question....
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (12-14-2014), Flyer 86 (12-15-2014), SeasonTicketFan (12-14-2014)
Old 12-14-2014, 04:04 PM

Last year when Sibert was in a funk, Vee picked up his game. When Vee was lost, Sibert seemed to pull through. Now we have DD, a freshman who has lost his confidence. I think Davis will be better than Vee was, but it may take a couple of months for him to get it together. Your point is well taken, we miss Vee Sanford.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-15-2014)
Old 12-14-2014, 04:40 PM

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,706 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I like what all three guards bring individually. In the stands we could feel the energy that Bass brought when he entered the game. A bit too much mustard, but still, energy. And some morale boosting plays. He will only get better and it's no coincidence that he played the most minutes at point.

Kyle Davis does a bit of the same thing. But let's face it, a 5'9" point guard on the floor with a 6' shooting guard leaves us with a bit of an issue. Arkansas had just the length to mess with our heads. They were long and had great hops.

Enter Dayshon Smith. We absolutely need the height that Scoochie brings to the table. Ryan Bass is going to push him as he gets additional minutes. He is going to get better and that short stop and pop will pay dividends. But Scoochie needs to respond to that competition and up his game. We need his size on offense and defense. He needs to attack the hoop and if he doesn't feel comfortable he needs to get there soon if were are to improve. This is not an either/or deal, we need all three with their "A" game.

In fact the whole team needs to start finishing buckets. We lead the nation in rimmed and in/out shots.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-21-2014), jack72 (12-14-2014)
Old 12-15-2014, 03:52 PM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Last year when Sibert was in a funk, Vee picked up his game. When Vee was lost, Sibert seemed to pull through. Now we have DD, a freshman who has lost his confidence. I think Davis will be better than Vee was, but it may take a couple of months for him to get it together. Your point is well taken, we miss Vee Sanford.
We do miss Sanford and Oliver this season. But last year we missed Dillard too. And the year before that we missed Chris Johnson. But basically we have good pieces and time is still on our side. Arch can still make changes and teach.

Darrell seems to me to have confidence, but he also realizes his lack of strength when going against veteran wings and guards who outweigh him. Not sure one season is going to fix that. But his shooting needs to pick up and he is a capable shooter.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:59 PM

shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
We do miss Sanford and Oliver this season. But last year we missed Dillard too. And the year before that we missed Chris Johnson. But basically we have good pieces and time is still on our side. Arch can still make changes and teach
Dillard was a cancer as was Benson. Neither were missed on the court in terms of hurting subsequent teams....that was proven by the way last years team jelled and played together at the end of the season. That wouldn't have happened with Dillard at the helm. He is also the player that didn't want any part of the post season when they weren't selected for the NIT in the 12-13 season. Leaders don't say that...they desire to play regardless. Players were asked what they wanted to do in terms of the CBI invite and he was one that said he wanted the season to be over.

The other players weren't cancerous to the team and played their butts off every possession.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-15-2014), jack72 (12-15-2014)
Old 12-15-2014, 06:18 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
Dillard was a cancer as was Benson. Neither were missed on the court in terms of hurting subsequent teams....that was proven by the way last years team jelled and played together at the end of the season. That wouldn't have happened with Dillard at the helm. He is also the player that didn't want any part of the post season when they weren't selected for the NIT in the 12-13 season. Leaders don't say that...they desire to play regardless. Players were asked what they wanted to do in terms of the CBI invite and he was one that said he wanted the season to be over.

The other players weren't cancerous to the team and played their butts off every possession.
Dillard seemed to get a huge case of senior ego-itis 2 years ago. Instead of playing all-around very good point guard like he did his Jr. year, he wanted to keep every glorified moment for himself. Almost like he thought, Okay, no CJ, no PW, no MK, no JP, I'm the star and I'm going to do everything in my power to show the NBA scouts that I'm great. He showed no trust in any of his teammates.

What's so gratifying now is that all those player he thought were not trustworthy enough to pass off to in critical moments, went to the elite 8 without him. I would love to know KD's true feelings on last season's run.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:49 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,409 Times in 577 Posts
anthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond repute
I have no idea about cancers on the team and all of that, but I am one who would rather not see UD ever take part in the CBI or CIT tourney. If the team isn't good enough to make the NIT, call it a year and move on.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to anthonycharles For This Totally Excellent Post:
Sid Louick (12-15-2014), udflyerhoops2 (12-19-2014)
Old 12-15-2014, 07:58 PM
General of the Air Force

ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by anthonycharles View Post
I have no idea about cancers on the team and all of that, but I am one who would rather not see UD ever take part in the CBI or CIT tourney. If the team isn't good enough to make the NIT, call it a year and move on.
Maybe, maybe not...

Every game you play can help build for the future and every scenario is slightly different, but if you have a team with multiple freshmen getting major playing time, and your looking for some momentum to build upon as they are finally playing well late in the season, I say you have to take any and all games you can, regardless of the initials of the tourney. Maybe even a team with a first or second year coach and new coaching staff to gain more experience for the following seasons.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:07 PM
Major General

NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe, maybe not...

Every game you play can help build for the future and every scenario is slightly different, but if you have a team with multiple freshmen getting major playing time, and your looking for some momentum to build upon as they are finally playing well late in the season, I say you have to take any and all games you can, regardless of the initials of the tourney. Maybe even a team with a first or second year coach and new coaching staff to gain more experience for the following seasons.

Your talking crazy! Sounds more like the "Fairborn" State University line of thinking rather than a "hi mid major" program
Old 12-15-2014, 10:26 PM
General of the Air Force

Your talking crazy! Sounds more like the "Fairborn" State University line of thinking rather than a "hi mid major" program
First of all, not sure why the slam on "Fairborn" State- Their is room for both programs in Dayton. At least "Fairborn" state has a real facility instead of a high school gym and averages 4K or so in attendance year in and year out, unlike many of our A-10 opponents.

And I copied the paragraph below from the CBI website- if "hi mid major" should not participate in this event, how do you explain some of the "hi (not mid) majors" listed?

Past CBI champions include Tulsa, Oregon State, VCU, Oregon, Pittsburgh, and Santa Clara. Teams from nearly every major conference and mid-major conference have participated in the event. Eighteen teams have used the CBI to springboard to the NCAA Tournament the following year, while another 10 have gone on to the NIT.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:12 PM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
First of all, not sure why the slam on "Fairborn" State- Their is room for both programs in Dayton. At least "Fairborn" state has a real facility instead of a high school gym and averages 4K or so in attendance year in and year out, unlike many of our A-10 opponents.
You mean those A-10 opponents who have won games in the NCAA Tournament and participated in the NIT, which that school has never done?
Old 12-15-2014, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by anthonycharles View Post
I would rather not as a fan...but as a player...you always are looking forward to performing in the next game..whether it is a tournament game, regular season game, practice, open gym, or summer league...to not want to play...shows your lack of will and competitive desire.

If UD administration ever makes that decision it is on them. If a player or coach ever makes that decision, I question their desire to be successful. Every **** game you play, benefits the younger guys. Had I been a coach when Dillard made those comments about not wanting to play...I would have played...parked his ass on the bench...and let my future get minutes...even if it was only for one game.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (12-16-2014), Flyer 86 (12-16-2014), Tony T 71 (12-15-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 09:32 AM
Major General

And I copied the paragraph below from the CBI website- if "hi mid major" should not participate in this event, how do you explain some of the "hi (not mid) majors" listed?

Past CBI champions include Tulsa, Oregon State, VCU, Oregon, Pittsburgh, and Santa Clara. Teams from nearly every major conference and mid-major conference have participated in the event. Eighteen teams have used the CBI to springboard to the NCAA Tournament the following year, while another 10 have gone on to the NIT.
I think if you are wanting to be something other than a 'mid major' your choices of what you do post season should be 'branded'. I was critical of the 'thought process' that playing in a pay to play is not what a program aspires to.

Take Notre Dame, in years past if the bowl game they were invited to was not what their expectations ARE, they would decline to participate. I do not know if that same thinking still exists, but I believe if you are not good enough to go to a more prestigious tournament you should stay home.

And I do believe the only post season tournaments are NCAA and the NIT worthy to play in. Based upon exposure even the NIT is 'lite' on coverage with the others such as CBI and CIT are in the dark as far as coverage based upon TV and print media.

If your program is desperate for attention like 'Fairborn U' than go for it. If you aspire for better things go for those higher levels of tournaments or stay home.

It is the thought process that these low level tournaments are something we should be doing if given the chance to participate ... I disagree with that line of thinking. If you arn't that good to be invited to the NIT why are you playing in a tournament with others that are not very good either?

Last edited by NJFlyr71; 12-16-2014 at 09:35 AM..
Old 12-16-2014, 09:40 AM
Colonel

daytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
You mean those A-10 opponents who have won games in the NCAA Tournament and participated in the NIT, which that school has never done?
Yeah! Like Fordham and Duquesne! Honestly, if you think those programs are better than WSU, you are drunk.
Mad Props to daytonflyers For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (12-16-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 09:47 AM
Major

UDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant future
We faced 3 great defensive teams in a row that defended the paint exceptionally well. Maybe that's the challenge to driving recently...can't find a passing lane because of exceptional defense not the lack of talent or trying. Archie needs to have a new strategy. Devin Scott has become the only guy who can catch a ball in traffic and he is starting to dribble the ball when he should be offensively attacking the rim. If the middle is clogged, why in the world would you put the basket on the court. Also, we seem to be 3 point happy at ABSOLUTELY the wrong times...and multiple times in a row.

Last edited by UDTradition; 12-16-2014 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: grammar sucked
Mad Props to UDTradition For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-16-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 10:05 AM

Well, after all that I hope Scoochie starts to play better......
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-16-2014), jack72 (12-16-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 11:12 AM
General

Thanked 1,269 Times in 787 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
We do miss Sanford and Oliver this season. But last year we missed Dillard too. And the year before that we missed Chris Johnson. But basically we have good pieces and time is still on our side. Arch can still make changes and teach.

Darrell seems to me to have confidence, but he also realizes his lack of strength when going against veteran wings and guards who outweigh him. Not sure one season is going to fix that. But his shooting needs to pick up and he is a capable shooter.
NOt sure we missed Dillard all that much, but get your idea. We have time to coach people but we have little lack of error with some players. If they don't get it in the next 7 or 8 games, we will be limited to a 7 man rotation.

Bass gives us 8,and Rogers would give us 9. Not counting on Robinson for anything and hoping Darrell Davis can be an effective scorer for us. If not, our outside shooting is putrid.

And it does go to tell you how much we miss the trio of Kavs/Vee/DMO - especially DMO and Vee as they could be instant offense many times. WE have fewer options to date. But time STILL REMAINS on our side.

These guys knew how to space the floor is the other thing. Guys are spacing pretty well and moving the ball fairly well - which hopefully ARch and Scoochie can fix. But these guys -esp DMO and VEE were STUDS in ball movement and hitting the clutch shot. Only clutch guy now from outside is Sibert.

And that's not enough.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer 86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (12-16-2014), San Diego Flyer (12-16-2014), Sea Bass (12-16-2014), shocka43 (12-16-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by UDTradition View Post
We faced 3 great defensive teams in a row that defended the paint exceptionally well. Maybe that's the challenge to driving recently...can't find a passing lane because of exceptional defense not the lack of talent or trying.
This is the issue with not being deep with players to beat the zone schemes we are seeing. It is not the fault of the players or staff...it is just the reality of the situation.

We are playing really good defense. I would have to think that AM and staff are focusing on defense first. I am all for that...because without defense and rebounding...I don't care what your offense does.

Defense and focusing on rebounding has to come first with this team. Second...smart basketball. Smarts will always outweigh missed shots. Many misses are due to them being bad shots. Last year...DO and Vee presented challenges from the perimeter and in terms of getting to the bucket...you also had to worry about DO as a serious threat on the offensive boards. MK cleared space and opened up driving lanes for guys...he was very good at sealing guys off.

Scott needs to still be aggressive in scoring...but he also has to get better at creating opportunities in the paint. The guards have to get better with ball movement and getting the ball into the paint. We have to be aggressive on both ends of the floor on the glass. The guards have the ability to get into the paint...but they need to pick and choose when to drive, pass, or shoot...versus just settling. They will be ok...and I said this since last season...UD lost many more threats than people think...this is a rebuild and not a reload...especially with the lack of depth and experience compared to Vee, DO, and MK.
Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-16-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 12:49 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,005 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
guys have bad games, especially young players. In the end it is about expectations. Archie talked up Scoochie a lot over the summer and fall and it raised my expectations. So I have been a bit disappointed by his play to this point. However, it has been balanced out by the play of Scott and Pollard exceeding my expectations.

Team is still a work in progress. They are a young team. The most experienced player is Pierre in terms of meaningful minutes on the college level. Sibert is in his 2nd year of starting but almost everyone else is getting more minutes and a greatly expanded role. Hopefully they will overcome the initial bumps to be really good when February rolls around.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (12-16-2014), SeasonTicketFan (12-16-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 03:56 PM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by daytonflyers View Post
Yeah! Like Fordham and Duquesne! Honestly, if you think those programs are better than WSU, you are drunk.
No, I mean just about every other program in the A-10, which have all had more post season success than WSU and all play in smaller "gyms." The post implied that WSU was somehow superior simply because they have a larger arena. But even Duquesne has been to the NIT recently, something WSU has never done.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:48 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
No, I mean just about every other program in the A-10, which have all had more post season success than WSU and all play in smaller "gyms." The post implied that WSU was somehow superior simply because they have a larger arena. But even Duquesne has been to the NIT recently, something WSU has never done.
The post implied that first of all no need to bring "Fairborn State" even into the conversation, but if you want to and call them something less than a "hi mid major" program, keep in mind we have many teams in our own conference who have far less to work with in terms of fan bases and facilities than what "fairborn State" has, with similar or only slightly better success than what "Fairborn State" has had since entering D1.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:02 PM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Everyone is always on edge during finals week.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:55 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
Smith Not Far Off

The gold standard for a pass first point guard in college hoops this year is none other than Sean Miller's T.J. McConnell at Arizona. We may all be watching him in the Final Four. He averages 6.1 points/game and 6.1 assists a game. Scoochie averages 6.9 PPG and 3.4 assists/game. He needs to pass better and see the floor clearer and when everyone else is covered shoot the ball. It should not be too hard for Archie to get plenty of tape of TJ for Smith to watch. Maybe Dad can help. The exception to this suggestion is when Dayton faces a zone defense where Smith must become a shooter.
Mad Props to Alberto Strasse For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-21-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 12:10 PM

Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
team needs more ball movement. This years team does not keep it moving quickly enough until they get the open shot or the opening to attack inside. Last years team was able to keep the ball moving (and thus the opponent moving) until they got what they wanted, this year the ball is stopping or slowing after a few passes.

IMO with all the new parts they aren't patient enough to keep the ball moving until they get a really good shot (not just an opening).
Old 12-19-2014, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Sea Bass View Post
team needs more ball movement. This years team does not keep it moving quickly enough until they get the open shot or the opening to attack inside. Last years team was able to keep the ball moving (and thus the opponent moving) until they got what they wanted, this year the ball is stopping or slowing after a few passes.

IMO with all the new parts they aren't patient enough to keep the ball moving until they get a really good shot (not just an opening).
I agree wholeheartedly. And I will add, it is not the point guard's job to keep the ball moving. He only initiates the action, and is an outlet for trouble. It is all five guys that are moving without the ball, posting up and setting screens. All five must have the sense to know where the next pass it going, and the second option, and when the pass is coming. It's just not happened this year and it was the fault of about 9 guys.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Sea Bass (12-19-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 03:54 PM

Arkansas was an example of impatience. One or two passes short of optimum, and the ball sticks in certain hands. Scoochie has to stop the bluff drive to the bucket where he turns around in the paint and kicks it back out to someone who is covered.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:59 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 976 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
This team also throws a lot of slow bounce passes on the perimeter. Yes, it's an easy pass against some of the zones we have seen, but it's also slow and doesn't force the zone to more. It's also harder to catch a shoot a bounce pass coming up to a guy's hip rather than a chest pass in the midsection.
Scoochie's assists would be up slightly if we had guys hitting from the perimeter.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:08 AM

Scoochie was a huge key last night. When he came out and hit two straight 3's he sent a message. One of the best games by a UD point guard in a long time.
Flyer 86 (12-21-2014), ruechalgrin (12-21-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 10:14 AM

Scoochie played very well. But when the team shoots 50% from anywhere on the court, the assists start flowing. We have shot so poorly his productivity on paper has been seriously affected. Great to see it all come together last night.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (12-21-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 10:51 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
8-0

Wow! 8 assists and no turnovers! Great game for Scoochie against Boston U and Oh by the way...10 points. Keep up the good play.
Mad Props to Alberto Strasse For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (12-21-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by MrFlyerFanatic View Post
This team also throws a lot of slow bounce passes on the perimeter.
Darrell Davis
Old 12-21-2014, 12:04 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

CraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Or maybe only one week!
Old 12-21-2014, 12:21 PM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,945 Times in 2,942 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
When the Scoochinator's first three point attempt bounced off the rim, up into the air and thru the net I thought to myself "This is gonna be the Flyers' night."
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (12-21-2014), Lifelong Flyer Fan (12-21-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 01:48 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows View Post
When the Scoochinator's first three point attempt bounced off the rim, up into the air and thru the net I thought to myself "This is gonna be the Flyers' night."
Posted via Mobile Device
Me too but the again, I just watched off the dvr.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-21-2014)
Old 01-03-2015, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
At the beginning of the season, I thought Devin Scott was critical to this year's success. He has stepped and played well consistently.

This team is undersized and will struggle against tall shot blocking teams. UConn and Arkansas both dominated with their shot blocking. UD is a very, very quick team, so quickness is going to have to offset size.

So I thought I Devin played well, the rest of the team would be fine. The team is quick and Devin is not a huge liability in the middle.

Three point shots not falling is not helping. But right now, the guard quickness is not negating size. Not even close.

I think the focus on success rests now on Scoochie. I have watched every regular season game this year. Scoochie has played poorly or average every game so far. Did I see correctly that he had zero assists today?

I think Scoochie can play much better on both ends of the floor. If he can quarterback the offense better and create more, the team can break out of the offensive doldrums.

On defense, he has to stop dribble penetration better.

I am perplexed, but Scoochie does not seem to be anywhere close to his groove. What is wrong?

UD needs Scoochie to step up. My opinion....
You called it in your post. Scoochie must have heard you. Since the AR game he has in four games, 2 turnovers, 22 assists, and 15-30 shooting for 38 points. And oh yes, his D has been great.
AC91 (01-03-2015), UDBaby (01-03-2015)
Old 01-03-2015, 03:21 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,956 Times in 534 Posts
shapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond repute
You called it in your post. Scoochie must have heard you. Since the AR game he has in four games, 2 turnovers, 22 assists, and 15-30 shooting for 38 points. And oh yes, his D has been great.
And 6-13 from 3pt since Arkansas.

Archie mentioned in his post game comments that Smith making the outside shot has openend up driving lanes for him.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:22 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,288 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Hi mid-major? I like AM's approach, We are a high major, just don't have the huge football stadium.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:45 AM
Captain

224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute
I wanted to bump this thread because I think we should recognize the improvements Scoochie has made from the beginning of the year to now. It wasn't that long ago we were wondering what happened to the glimpses we saw in the tournament last year, but as we approach the last few weeks of ball, I think its safe to say he has improved and consistently played at a high level.

He gets lost in the shuffle with all the great things this group is doing -- the coaching job with Archie and his staff, great years Peirre and Sibert are having, drastic improvement Pollard has shown, DD 3PT%, Kyle's D and Wherlis...well, I guess just the Bobby Wherli story, but Scoochie has been key these last few games.

Specifically with his ball control and ability to break a press. As a team we had 8TO against a VCU team that forces 17 a game. It wasn't that long ago I remember UDs inability to break a full court press -- and it was a major problem. But he makes breaking that press look so easy. And even when he dances up the court, going behind the back, between the legs, looking erratic, he rarely ever is. His handles are just that good, even though everyone is holding their breath as they watch, waiting for the mistake to happen.

And last night against URI, when they went on a little run in the 2nd half and started to press to change the momentum, Scoochie handled it -- he had it under control. He stayed calm and made the right pass or schooled the defender to get the ball over. Just want you want your PG to do.

Sure he has room in his game to improve, but from where he was a few months ago to now, wow. But simple things like breaking the press and not making that bad pass to feed the momentum of the other team is the difference between a 16 point win last night and a nail biter, which would have been the case in years past.

It's been a great year, and excited for the last few weeks!

Last edited by 224; 03-04-2015 at 11:51 AM..
11 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to 224 For This Totally Excellent Post:
cj (03-04-2015), Flyer 86 (03-04-2015), jack72 (03-04-2015), LI Flyer (03-04-2015), Lifelong Flyer Fan (03-04-2015), mikeymo85 (03-04-2015), nd134j (03-04-2015), Smitty10 (03-04-2015), TMPH66 (03-04-2015), UDFLIES (03-04-2015), Whacker (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 11:51 AM
General

Thanked 4,343 Times in 2,135 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
I think the biggest area of improvement that Scooch can make going forward is knowing how to toe that thin line of "getting his" and "setting up his teammates". Scooch spends most of the game trying to set up the offense and get his teammates involved, like you want your PG to do, but he's obviously capable of taking over a game with his dribble penetration and pull up jumper. He's very good at both, and a had a nice little stretch with the game still in doubt where he took over the offense for a handful of possessions. As I said, its a careful balance that must be struck, Kevin Dilliard often spent too much time trying to take over the game (something he was capable of for sure) and not enough time setting up his teammates. Its requires a great amount of patience and recognizing when your team needs you to just make a play. Scooch is getting pretty good in this aspect, I expect him to excel the next 2 years as he matures.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (03-04-2015), Flyer 86 (03-04-2015), ud69 (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 12:21 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,355 Times in 586 Posts
College B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Flyers offense has 8 TO's in the past two games against the famed VCU (Havoc) defense and against Rhode Islands league leading defense!

This kid is a pleasure to watch and his growth as a team leader is remarkable and a credit to not only him but to our coaches top to bottom!

He can shoot the ball, loves an assist, setting up his team mates and all the while playing a mere 35-39 minutes per game! WOW

Exactly what you want your point guard to be.....
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to College B-Ball Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
cj (03-04-2015), rollo (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 12:29 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,618 Times in 5,097 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
All the pieces of this team are functioning well, but it is great to have a pg who can handle the pressure and control the pace like Scoochie has been doing this year. He really developed this year in that respect. He is good and he is only a sophomore.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:36 PM
General

Thanked 1,269 Times in 787 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
What a pleasure to have a GREAT point guard.

I agree with some comments above. Scooch does have the ability to score, AND IN THE FUTURE needs to create more for himself and be less unselfish.

I think he tried too hard his first 15 games last year, couldn't finish on layups. And found his niche the final ten games of last year, esp in the NCAA's.

His ball control is marvelous and he is slow and steady, and knows where and when to setup the offense. Hes around 8 or 9 points a game now. I think he can take it up to 12 a game next year and still keep his assist level and ball control at a high level.

He def likes his assists,to dish it out and control offensive ball movement and tempo. SWEET Scoochie koo!
Mad Props to Flyer 86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Fudd (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 12:59 PM
General

Originally Posted by Flyer 86 View Post
What a pleasure to have a GREAT point guard.

I agree with some comments above. Scooch does have the ability to score, AND IN THE FUTURE needs to create more for himself and be less unselfish.

I think he tried too hard his first 15 games last year, couldn't finish on layups. And found his niche the final ten games of last year, esp in the NCAA's.

His ball control is marvelous and he is slow and steady, and knows where and when to setup the offense. Hes around 8 or 9 points a game now. I think he can take it up to 12 a game next year and still keep his assist level and ball control at a high level.

He def likes his assists,to dish it out and control offensive ball movement and tempo. SWEET Scoochie koo!
This might seem that I'm harping based on our discussion in the other topic but I'm really not. What I noticed last night is that Scooch is basically our PG when it comes to getting the ball up the court. But once he crosses the half court line, KD immediately comes out of the right corner to take over the ball for a bit. Which is great because scooch exerts a lot of energy getting it up the court. In the half court, it seems we have 2 PGs.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-04-2015), Gazoo (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 01:26 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 976 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Agreed

Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
This might seem that I'm harping based on our discussion in the other topic but I'm really not. What I noticed last night is that Scooch is basically our PG when it comes to getting the ball up the court. But once he crosses the half court line, KD immediately comes out of the right corner to take over the ball for a bit. Which is great because scooch exerts a lot of energy getting it up the court. In the half court, it seems we have 2 PGs.
I agree 100%. Scoochie is looking very good with the ball in his hands. He occasionally struggles when he penetrates and tries to pass. In each of the past 2 games, he has had a turnover on a play when he tried to pass instead of taking the shot himself.
Yep, that's the harshest criticism I can come up with: He's too unselfish.

He also has a good 3pt shot. I'd like to see him take at least 1 per game just to keep the D honest.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to MrFlyerFanatic For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-04-2015), ruechalgrin (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 02:05 PM

He looks so loosy goosy on his dribbling, but you never see the defender poke the ball away, and rarely try. Scoochie is so unpredictable and quick, that if the defender reaches he is gone.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:12 PM
General

Thanked 5,460 Times in 2,387 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
I think he's too tired to push his own scoring, it takes a lot off effort to work against pressure every possession of the game. He's got to conserve some energy, and a full-on burst to the basket uses up reserves. He's got to keep the long term goal in mind: be on the court and effective when the team needs you.

There is 1 criticism I have, and it has the potential to hurt us. If I were coaching against UD, I would do the following on every made basket: Pressure him hard all the way at the end line, allow the backcourt to clear, and then when he reaches the foul line run someone at him. Here's why: once the ball is inbounded to him, he waits 1-2 seconds to start dribbling while the backcourt clears. Then he methodically starts making his way up the court with several behind the back and between the legs dribbles. By the time he reaches the foul line it's usually 5-6 seconds into the 10 count. That's not a problem so long as he can keep going, but what does he do when someone runs at him?

Anyone?

He back dribbles. Now 6-7 seconds have elapsed and the ball is moving backward. By the time he finds someone to pass to and that person takes off we're barely getting the ball across 1/2 court and AM risks another wasted timeout.

I think this is related to being tired as well, he doesn't have the energy to just blow by his defender.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:57 PM
General

Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
I think he's too tired to push his own scoring, it takes a lot off effort to work against pressure every possession of the game. He's got to conserve some energy, and a full-on burst to the basket uses up reserves. He's got to keep the long term goal in mind: be on the court and effective when the team needs you.

There is 1 criticism I have, and it has the potential to hurt us. If I were coaching against UD, I would do the following on every made basket: Pressure him hard all the way at the end line, allow the backcourt to clear, and then when he reaches the foul line run someone at him. Here's why: once the ball is inbounded to him, he waits 1-2 seconds to start dribbling while the backcourt clears. Then he methodically starts making his way up the court with several behind the back and between the legs dribbles. By the time he reaches the foul line it's usually 5-6 seconds into the 10 count. That's not a problem so long as he can keep going, but what does he do when someone runs at him?

I wonder how often Scooch practices getting the ball up court against Quick Hands Kyle? That's probably what's made him so efficient against the lesser defenders he goes up against in games.

Anyone?

He back dribbles. Now 6-7 seconds have elapsed and the ball is moving backward. By the time he finds someone to pass to and that person takes off we're barely getting the ball across 1/2 court and AM risks another wasted timeout.

I think this is related to being tired as well, he doesn't have the energy to just blow by his defender.
I think scooch sees the court and takes what's given. I think maybe a few times he's had trouble with the 10 second clock, but I remember one of those was called on him too early. Also, when he first gets the ball, all of the rest of the Flyers do pause before heading up court to see what the D is. So I'm guessing that if the opponents try what you're saying, Pollard and KD would stay there to be an outlet.

I actually was thinking the opposite, why do the opponents even put a man on him until he crosses the midcourt line? One man is not going to get Scooch to cough up the ball, nor take more than 10 seconds to get it over. Unless they are double teaming him in a full court press, it seems pointless.

Last edited by Smitty10; 03-04-2015 at 03:59 PM..
Old 03-04-2015, 04:55 PM
General

Thanked 5,460 Times in 2,387 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
I think scooch sees the court and takes what's given. I think maybe a few times he's had trouble with the 10 second clock, but I remember one of those was called on him too early. Also, when he first gets the ball, all of the rest of the Flyers do pause before heading up court to see what the D is. So I'm guessing that if the opponents try what you're saying, Pollard and KD would stay there to be an outlet.

I actually was thinking the opposite, why do the opponents even put a man on him until he crosses the midcourt line? One man is not going to get Scooch to cough up the ball, nor take more than 10 seconds to get it over. Unless they are double teaming him in a full court press, it seems pointless.
To wear him out
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 05:03 PM
General

Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
To wear him out
LOL. I think teams would be better served by giving up this strategy to wear out our players. I get this picture in my head of Scoochie's defender, clock running down, bent over at the waist, gasping for air, looking at the coach with palms turned up as to say "I tried to wear him down coach."
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
66flyer (03-04-2015)