User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-28-2016, 11:06 AM
Academy Doolie

Hill Rat will become famous soon enoughHill Rat will become famous soon enough
Current Flyers prospects for an NBA career?

Which of the current Flyers do you think will have a career in the NBA? Why do you think that?
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2016, 11:32 AM
General

Thanked 1,266 Times in 784 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Who won't..... Scoochie and Darrell Davis

Who Could?

Steve Mcelvane
Pierre perhaps
Cooke is the most likely of Pierre and Cooke, in my opinion. Has the body for it.
Can slash better than Pierre.

Doubtful? Pollard.

Although he could be serviceable backup or power forward of the small variety. A rebounder like some of those Duke tweeners. (somebody help with those names - one played on the bulls/Miami, forgot other - maybe on Philly and out West). Both were like 15 and 7 guys.

Last edited by Flyer 86; 01-28-2016 at 03:51 PM..
Old 01-28-2016, 12:28 PM
General

Thanked 4,319 Times in 2,123 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
How do you define "career" Are we talking BRob type career where he gets an extended contract and has lasted a few seasons, or are we talking about a CWright type career where he gets a couple cups of coffee? Or are you talking more like a Jim Paxson or someone that has a decade long stay in the NBA?

Best bet for any of those is Big Steve. He's got the height and length, he's got the body type, though it still needs some molding, he's got decent athleticism, good hands, decent vision and he's willing to work, but he still needs to refine his footwork, develop the ability to score over both shoulders, pass the ball better, etc... but at the end of the day, his size is something coveted by most every team, and not as easily attainable as one would think.

Pollard, to short to think he'll sniff the NBA, he can't shot from the perimeter and he wouldn't be able to handle the ball like is required of a SF. He's got the athleticism; don't see the game.

Pierre has the game, but not the athleticism. I suspect he'll get a handful of looks/cup of coffee, the ability to stick will require him to find the right fit and a coach who can use his skills as a bench assest.

Schoochie, I'd love to say yes, but he's more of the steady eddie; the NBA doesn't often look for the steady eddie out of college, they look for flash and athleticism that they can mold.

Kyle, not enough of an outside threat, too small to play SG and defend NBA SGs on a regular basis, even in a limited roll. He's a bulldog however, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a cup of coffee at some point on a 10 day contract, but I'm not counting on it.

Cooke, I think he's got a great chance. He's got decent height, can shoot, pass, dribble and drive. Could stand to add some more muscle, but I think he'll get drafted after his senior season, somewhere in the 2nd round if he can add a little more strength.
Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-28-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 12:31 PM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
SS, DD, KP, no way. If KP didn't improve his shooting this past offseason it's not happening.

Cooke maybe. He's big and strong, shooting must continue to improve but he's on the right track. Not lightning quick but overall good. Bad part is it's a crowded spot to make a run at, there are plenty of 2 guards with skills.

To me Steve has the best chance. A freshman who blocks shots like that and plays a true center, additionally rumors are his shot is really not bad, that's a guy with a chance. He'll have to keep the upward trajectory and not get comfortable being "the best center in the A10".

That's the hard thing about becoming a millionaire, most people get 1/2 way there and get comfortable enough they stop working so hard.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:25 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Cooke and only Cooke. He has the body, strength, arm length and quickness to take on anyone defensively and is absolutely the focus of the opponent's coach.

Last night he made a 1-on-1 move that resulted in a layup that no defender on any team in this country could have stopped...and all he did was a quick head-fake and explosive long stride at the basket. BOOM! Layup...2 pts...back on defense.
Flyer 86 (01-28-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 01:36 PM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
Drafted: Big Steve (if he continues to improve as expected).

Maybe Drafted/Definitely in someone's camp/Summer League team: Cooke III

Camp invites/Summer League Team(s): Pierre

Maybe Camp invite/Summer League Team: Pollard
Mad Props to Ready Action For This Totally Excellent Post:
DallasFlyer (01-28-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 01:38 PM
Colonel

SC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Last night he made a 1-on-1 move that resulted in a layup that no defender on any team in this country could have stopped...and all he did was a quick head-fake and explosive long stride at the basket. BOOM! Layup...2 pts...back on defense.
Yeah, I think Bucky or Larry said the SLU defender had to go to the bench to get his ankles re-wrapped.
Mad Props to SC_Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (01-28-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 01:53 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ready Action View Post
Drafted: Big Steve (if he continues to improve as expected).

Maybe Drafted/Definitely in someone's camp/Summer League team: Cooke III

Camp invites/Summer League Team(s): Pierre

Maybe Camp invite/Summer League Team: Pollard
CC a 100% draft pick if he stays healthy and plays as consistent as he is now thru next year (would even get drafted by round 2 if he left this year should he continue to play the way he is now and lead this team into NCAA)..Remember, by CC playing well the rest of this year UD becomes a real player in front of multiple exposure with lots of scouts all being in attendance..

CC has everything a 2 guard needs at the next level....Fast, quick, long,handle the ball with both hands, can jump, can rebound, play D, shoot, etc....Only thing he needs to improve on, imo, is out in the open court on the fast break and becoming more aggressive taking the ball to the rack...
Old 01-28-2016, 01:53 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I think Charles Cooke is the most complete NBA prospect Dayton has had in decades. It's not hard to identify what NBA scouts didn't love with Brian Roberts, Chris Wright and/or CJ. But with Cooke, what is not to like, especially if he can continue shooting at a really high percentage from 3?

As others have said, McElvene definitely has NBA potential as well. He's got a long way to go, but plenty of time to develop. We have no idea where the ceiling on that kid is.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-28-2016), John C. (01-28-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 02:21 PM
General

Thanked 2,909 Times in 1,405 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I think all our starters will make a living in basketball overseas. I would be surprised if anyone other than Cook and Big Steve got serious consideration from the NBA, and they both have work to do to get there.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:46 PM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by steve View Post
CC a 100% draft pick if he stays healthy and plays as consistent as he is now thru next year (would even get drafted by round 2 if he left this year should he continue to play the way he is now and lead this team into NCAA)..Remember, by CC playing well the rest of this year UD becomes a real player in front of multiple exposure with lots of scouts all being in attendance..

CC has everything a 2 guard needs at the next level....Fast, quick, long,handle the ball with both hands, can jump, can rebound, play D, shoot, etc....Only thing he needs to improve on, imo, is out in the open court on the fast break and becoming more aggressive taking the ball to the rack...
When I saw Cooke III in his first Red/Blue game I could tell that by far he was the best pure basketball player on the team. I think the path based on potential is a little easier for Big Steve than it is for Cooke III. Across the landscape which not only includes large and small colleges, but also overseas talent, there are a ton of two guards and small forwards. The good thing is Cooke III will continue to have plenty of opportunities to impress the scouts.

Last edited by Ready Action; 01-28-2016 at 02:49 PM..
Old 01-28-2016, 03:29 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

NYCFLYER is just really niceNYCFLYER is just really niceNYCFLYER is just really niceNYCFLYER is just really niceNYCFLYER is just really nice
FWIW, I heard Larry Hansgen say (last year) that Big Steve will never play 4 years for UD because he will go to the NBA early.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:01 PM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
I think Charles Cooke is the most complete NBA prospect Dayton has had in decades. It's not hard to identify what NBA scouts didn't love with Brian Roberts, Chris Wright and/or CJ. But with Cooke, what is not to like, especially if he can continue shooting at a really high percentage from 3?

As others have said, McElvene definitely has NBA potential as well. He's got a long way to go, but plenty of time to develop. We have no idea where the ceiling on that kid is.
I agree with that, my only concern is that there will be 75 (not exaggerating) other guys vying for the same few spots. You need crazy explosiveness to impress scouts, or a totally complete game. I think CC has a totally complete game but those are the sort of players who go in the 2nd round or get picked up as camp invitees.

I think if DP gets in the right situation he could have a 10 year NBA career, and if he doesn't he'll never even get a 10 day contract. He's a system guy, he's not going to play in a place like Houston or Washington where they just play athletes and hope our athletes beat your athletes. But if you give him a specific job to do he'll be fantastic.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-29-2016)
Old 01-29-2016, 09:57 AM
Colonel

I hope none go to the Chinese Basketball Association as former UC player Jason Maxiell may hurt 'em if he can catch 'em.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by Ready Action; 01-29-2016 at 11:34 AM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Ready Action For This Totally Excellent Post:
Buick-Flyer (01-29-2016), SC_Flyer (01-29-2016), ud2 (01-29-2016)
Old 01-29-2016, 11:11 AM
General

Thanked 1,266 Times in 784 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by frisco flyer View Post
I think all our starters will make a living in basketball overseas. I would be surprised if anyone other than Cook and Big Steve got serious consideration from the NBA, and they both have work to do to get there.
Scoochie is perfect for overseas or Europe
Old 01-29-2016, 11:33 AM
Colonel

Bill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
I think if DP gets in the right situation he could have a 10 year NBA career, and if he doesn't he'll never even get a 10 day contract. He's a system guy, he's not going to play in a place like Houston or Washington where they just play athletes and hope our athletes beat your athletes. But if you give him a specific job to do he'll be fantastic.
I'm thinking SPURS under Pop would be a nice fit.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:47 PM
Colonel

Gilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud of
Cooke - best shot - above 50%
Pierre - D-League with occasional appearance
McElvene - still a freshman, but I think he has a shot

Smith, Kyle, Baby D - Europe

Williams - the only other one with a shot, but way too early to tell and would be a real long shot.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:06 PM
1st Lieutenant

CJ43 is a jewel in the roughCJ43 is a jewel in the roughCJ43 is a jewel in the roughCJ43 is a jewel in the rough
Its still too early to say for the freshman but the X-man would look to me like the one with the best NBA potential.

If Cooke can keep this up for another year and a half I think he could work himself into the 2nd round. Hes the most complete player that we've had at UD in a long time.

Steve while still technically a freshman, he has the length and it seems like he has the outside touch from the FT line to become a big that could possibly even stretch the floor. The biggest thing he needs to work on is moving his feet.

Pollard needs to work on his basketball skills more. Hes an undersized PF right now, he needs the handles and skills to play SF or SG in the NBA. Have a feeling he'll be a D-League player/Europe

Pierre has the skills, hes just a little slow and not enough athleticism for the league. However he does remind me of Draymond Green a little. I would guess that he'll be a D-league player/Europe.

I'd love to see scoochie in the league but NBA teams don't want a guy that can just run the offense. He needs to be able to slash and create.

DD and KD will be in Europe if they so choose to pursue.
Mad Props to CJ43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-30-2016)
Old 01-29-2016, 08:50 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=Ready Action;438671]I hope none go to the Chinese Basketball Association as former UC player Jason Maxiell may hurt 'em if he can catch 'em.
QUOTE]

I originally saw that on ESPN's HIGHLY QUESTIONABLE. Before you decide you are going to cheap shot somebody you might think about what happens when they get mad.

It is kind of like deciding whether you want to get in the mud and wrestle with a pig because the pig is going to enjoy it.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:35 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,993 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SC_Flyer View Post
Yeah, I think Bucky or Larry said the SLU defender had to go to the bench to get his ankles re-wrapped.
You could hear a number of "Whoa!"s from the crowd on that one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-29-2016, 11:58 PM

Thanked 6,122 Times in 4,168 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
That clip of Mad Max reminded me of that brawl that Georgetown? got into in China a few years ago with a Chinese team during one of those overseas preseason trips that teams take. That brawl got pretty ugly, I think the fans were throwing stuff at the players. I wonder if this sort of thing is fairly common with Chinese basketball?
Old 01-30-2016, 10:42 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
Cooke has a 50/50 shot imo. Instant offense, athletic, can rebound.

Steve will get drafted. Guaranteed. Not sure he can make it, too early to tell. That size and steady improvement. Guaranteed he gets drafted.

No one else. Pierre just isn't quick and athletic enough. He'll play 10 seasons overseas and make a very good living.
Mad Props to Buster Goode For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-30-2016)
Old 01-30-2016, 12:49 PM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
West Virginia, despite some of their athletes, have no players in the NBA.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
66flyer (01-30-2016), Flyer 86 (01-30-2016)